Studies of Individual Instructions
J. W. K-P.
commentary by Michael D. Robbins
I have not much to say to you at this time and the reason thereof you know. Let not the pressure of work at this time and world strain overcome you in any way.
1. Although the letters DK wrote his students were distributed to all members within any particular “group-of-nine”, Master DK did not say all things to all people. The phrase, “You know whereof I speak”, is often used and may indicate that which it were wiser to leave unformulated, but which the person to whom the letter is directed well understands. Occult work is powerful subjectively, and there are thoughtforms which group members should not dwell upon, and thus reinforce, (with the possible effect of subjectively interfering with a brother’s process or increasing the difficulty of their brother’s life), and other thoughtforms that they should.
2. Strain there will always be. The disciple must bear up under it, refusing, shall we say, to be overcome by it.
The task of world reconstruction still lies ahead but the disciples in the world and the dedicated groups can begin to take the needed steps of preparation. The reconstruction must begin in the place where the disciple at this time finds himself, and this will involve on a small and relatively unimportant scale the same processes, the same eliminations and changes, the same discriminative idealism and the same conformity to the new emerging pattern as will be required in world reconstruction. I would ask you to ponder on this, for [Page 589] all disciples throughout the world can begin to prepare themselves for increased future activity.
1. The darkest days of the War still lay ahead, but already Master DK was thinking forward toward the possibility of world reconstruction.
2. World reconstruction operates on the same principles as individual reconstruction. As always, disciples are to take themselves as they find themselves, and work from that point.
3. Another principle emerges: if one is willing to do small and seemingly unimportant work well, it is an indication that one can handle large and seemingly important work. Quality is what counts and not the perceived scope of the work.
4. Eliminations occur under Pluto and Saturn. Discriminative idealism occurs under Saturn in relation to Mars and Neptune. Note how the mind is combined with the astral body when the thought of “discriminative idealism” is analyzed.
5. The Master lays His plans far in advance. Perhaps, though it is unlikely, the possibility of really perilous developments in the War (which could lead to the defeat of the Forces of Light) had not yet been anticipated by the Hierarchy. Or perhaps They are the very best at “acting as if”—knowing the power of this occult method.
There are three outstanding aspects of the new age pattern which must be borne in mind:
1. Foster Bailey was one of those much concerned with “knowledge of the Plan”. DK wants to make sure he understands the emerging pattern.
2. It strikes me how very much of that which is of general value has been included in this apparently “personal” instructions
1. The aspect of healing. I would express it thus, for humanity will take much patient care before the shock and the pain of the present has been transmuted into gained experience and understanding. Compassionate lovers of humanity can do this healing work.
1. Master DK is a master healer. He knew the impact of the War upon the personality vehicles of humanity.
2. He also know that time would be needed and much “patient care” (a second ray virtue) before those most impacted by the War could abstract sufficiently from the immediate trauma to harvest the experience as understanding.
3. “Compassionate lovers of humanity”—a phrase easily written: a phrase worthy of deep pondering. When one loves humanity what does one love? Surely it has nothing to do with likes and dislikes, with attraction or repulsion. Somehow there is an inherent beauty in everyone that may be not at all obvious. But as the “esoteric sense” develops, this inner promise, this beauty is registered, and it is this to which the lover of humanity responds.
4. Also, humanity has suffered much. The compassionate one realizes this, and knows, without being told, the present sources of suffering. Compassionate realization of past, present and, even, future suffering stimulates love, and love stimulates compassion.
2. The aspect of clarification. The bewilderment of humanity as a whole requires recognition by the forces of reconstruction. Time and effort must be given to clear explanation and to the pointing out of the law of cause and effect. Trained interpreters are required.
1. A great many human beings living during that momentous and decisive event in humanity’s long history, may not have been really clear about the meaning and significance of the tremendous world events which involved them so inescapably. They were simply swept into the general maelstrom. The same is true today; an understanding of great issues and their causes is hardly universal in humanity.
2. For such events as the First and Second World Wars, there are always deep karmic causes—national, racial and individual. Many human beings are, however, so self-centered and so identified with the immediate pain of the astral body engendered by such appalling conflicts, that they do not care for reasoned explanations. If they have been hurt, they simply wish to punish those who, in their estimation, have ‘unjustly’ hurt them. Indeed, this was a prevalent attitude among certain groups after the War.
3. We can see that this aspect of the “new age pattern” relates to the efforts of the second “Seed Group”—the “Trained Observers”. Trained Observers are in a position to explain the real causes of things, and separate those causes from glamorous or illusory explanations.
4. Such a tremendous experience as the War would have to be assimilated by consciousness. Now it is some sixty years since the close of that terrible episode. Looking back upon humanity’s experience following the Second World War, we can see how many years were given to “making sense of what happened”. The arts and cinema were one of the main arenas of human endeavor where attention was given to this assimilation.
5. When the word “interpreter” or “interpretation” is used, it is a signal that the energy of the planet Mercury is involved, or that of the third ray (the ‘ray of the interpreter’).
“It was the recognition of that which induced me to give you the word ‘interpretation’ as your most important keyword, for it would evoke in you qualities along the line of the third Ray of Active Intelligence, which is closely allied to your fifth ray personality.” (DINA I 448)
6. A trained interpreter has the patience to take the many factors of a particular context into consideration and to detect the lines of causation.
7. The principle is clear: experience is one thing, but an understanding of the meaning and significance of an experience takes time as well as clarity of perception and thought.
3. The aspect of reorganisation. Rebuilding is needed and this will require a dedicated, spiritual insight. The New Age will not be ushered in and find true expression of its latent energies through the medium of old and patched up forms, or through the preservation of ancient techniques and attitudes. It will come into being through entirely new forms and by means of the intelligent discarding of old modes of religion, government and economic and social idealisms. The need for sensitive intermediaries who can sense the new emerging realities and can take the needed constructive steps is great. They must create the forms which these subjective ideas must utilise. I make these few suggestions to aid you and other workers in the task of reorganisation by indicating the type of worker needed today in the world, and much needed in the task you are seeking to do for humanity and incidentally for Us.
1. If healing and clarification are related to the Seed Groups III and II, is “organization” related to Seed Group I (Telepathic Communicators)? If so, it is perhaps in this way: that the new and possible patterns related to the Divine Plan are telepathically received by those sensitive enough. The application of such patterns to existing situations will, inevitably, involve reorganization.
2. What is a “dedicated spiritual insight”? Perhaps a determination to “see into” the real spiritual values in any issue. Dedication is a steadying of focus; when dedication is combined with “spiritual insight” it becomes a non-wavering attitude determined to wrest from any set of circumstances a perception of the spiritual issues behind and within it.
3. The Hierarchy had to war against the human habit longing for the “good old days”. Once the War was over, many reactionaries (fearing the new possibilities, and longing for a restoration of their privileges) wanted simply to reconstruct the old world according to the old patterns. The note of nostalgia they sounded had a dangerous appeal.
4. But war is very Plutonic, and calls for the discarding of patterns which have outlived their usefulness.
5. DK states that there is a need for “sensitive intermediaries”—presumably intermediaries to assist with the transition between the new and emerging patterns resonant to more Aquarian ideals, and the outdated patterns of the pre-War era.
6. Forms which are capable of embodying new ideas always have to be built if the new ideas are to manifest. The work here presented is, in part, seventh ray work. It involves registering new patterns and embodying new patterns in appropriate physical forms.
7. DK is informing JWK-P of the kind of co-workers he will need if his work is to go forward successfully. He is also letting JWK-P know what kind of worker he, himself, should become.
8. Note that JWK-P’s work (and the work of all true disciples) is done for humanity and only, incidentally, for the Hierarchy. That order must be preserved. Those who attempt to serve the Hierarchy without serving humanity are only deluding themselves by thinking they serve. Hierarchy serves humanity, and those who wish to serve Hierarchy must serve those whom Hierarchy serves. Without this attitude in place, so-called service to Hierarchy is wrongly motivated and based more on self-glorification than on true service.
Sound business methods must distinguish the physical plane aspects of the revitalised organisations for which you are responsible; a potent note of love and understanding must express the desire and sensitive subjective aspects of the active working group. Intelligent adaptability should be the mental note. These things I think you already know and I reiterate them not merely to emphasise them in your consciousness but also to weld the efforts of your group brothers [Page 590] in the same united determination which will render them active cooperators in the plans laid down by Us for the helping of the world.
1. JWK-P, as a first ray disciple (with Moon in Taurus), had many material responsibilities. Unless the modern disciple utilizes sound business methods in a civilization increasingly characterized by the seventh ray, there will be no success.
2. DK is calling for a union of subjective and objective aspects. Always in the case of JWK-P the Tibetan strove to evoke the “potent note of love and understanding”—something which this disciple might not otherwise focus upon to any great extent.
3. We can see how DK is using this particular instruction. Not only to reemphasize to JWK-P something he already knows, but to alert his group brothers to the same requirements.
4. The welding process occurs under Vulcan. It is a strengthening of group bonds, group commitment and group will. The Tibetan often uses the occasion of His letters to speak to all disciples while apparently speaking to one.
5. “United determination” is, ideally, a characteristic of the members of the NGWS. Again it is Taurean and Vulcanian. DK is seeking to strengthen the united will of these serving groups.
It is always difficult for the disciple who is working in the world of human affairs to strike the happy medium between sound physical plane techniques in expression and the measure of the vision which he sees; it is never easy to adapt and to relate the old to the new, thus producing that which the present requires. The task of the disciple, as you can see from the three words—old, new and present—is therefore primarily concerned with Time. This right comprehension of the time element requires the eye of vision, plus right interpretation of that which it sees.
1. DK is speaking now in terms of the task of the New Group of World Servers. There is much fourth ray in that serving group. They work under Taurus (related to the ajna center and vision) and the fourth ray.
“This ray is not in incarnation at the time and therefore few fourth ray egos are available in world service. There are, however, many fourth ray personalities and they can learn much by the study of the work of the New Group of World Servers. The major task of the fourth ray aspirant is to harmonise the new ideas with the old, so that there can be no dangerous gap or break. They are those who bring [Page 143] about a ‘righteous compromise’, and adapt the new and the old so that the true pattern is preserved. They are engaged with the bridging process, for they are the true intuitives and have a capacity for the art of synthesis so that their work most definitely can help in bringing forward a true presentation of the divine picture.” (EP II 142-143)
2. JWK-P had a fourth ray mind which could assist him in carrying out DK’s suggestions in this regard.
3. A hint is offered with regard to “Time”. What shall be done, when and in what order? What can the “eye of vision” offer in this regard? What will be the benefit of the “right interpretation of that which it sees”?
4. The vision sees many things. Not all of them can be materialized immediately. If too much is attempted, there will be failure and a destruction of the implementing and implemented forms. If too little is attempted, opportunity will be lost.
5. Perhaps the eye of vision can assess the capacities and abilities of the workers in terms of Time, and judge what is appropriate to attempt with them.
6. One must see into the future, ensure that what one sees is accurate, and properly assess the means of going from “here to there”. All of this requires much wisdom in action. JWK-P was a disciple for whom this type of practical wisdom was a necessity, so responsible was his work.
For this purpose I would give you a meditation based on sight and its suitability for your particular need will, I think, be immediately apparent. I make it very brief, for long meditations (reduced to form) are not adapted to your nature.
1. Every teacher has to know the nature of his student. One cannot grind all in the “iron mill of routine”. We can see how insight and adaptability are so important for a teacher of the Ageless Wisdom.
2. As a general principle, we could say that those upon the first ray do not appreciate overly-sustained meditations. They get to the point rapidly and are not in need of the longer process which they are liable to think a waste of time.
3. We also note that when a Teacher wishes to see a certain quality built into the life of one of His chelas, He gives him/her a meditation aimed at the cultivation of that quality.
4. The following meditation was one of those deemed to be of general usefulness and was this retained in the DINA books.
1. Sound the OM three times, withdrawing your consciousness as you do so to the ajna centre between the eyebrows. Hold it steadily there.
1. The ajna center is the center of vision.
2. If one withdraws consciousness to a particular center, one merely focusses upon that center and thinks of nothing else.
3. Another way of proceeding is to attempt to see through that center.
2. Then look forth imaginatively in three directions:
a. Upward to the world of the soul, to the kingdom of God and to the Hierarchy. Seek as you do this to link up definitely with your own Master, of Whom I am, with His permission, at this time the chosen representative.
1. JWK-P was a chela of the Master Morya. Master Morya may have chosen Master DK to represent Him in the tuition of JWK-P. Also JWK-P may have made a choice to study with Master DK for a term.
2. The word “upward” simply means towards a higher vibratory domain. Thinking visually in an “upward” direction may facilitate contact for some.
3. It seems that DK is asking JWK-P to link with Master M.
4. In Hierarchy nothing is done in a cavalier manner. The will of each member of Hierarchy is respected. Nothing is done presumptuously. There are many times when Master DK asks permission—of another Master, of His own Master (Master KH) of the Christ or of Sanat Kumara before He performs some act or releases some piece of information. When doing a search of the AAB CD-ROM on “permission|permitted|permit”, there are 459 hits!
b. Inward to the world of men, seeking to contact the subjective world of human thought and aspiration—the world of ideals and of human aspirational vision.
1. To move “inward” rather than “upward”, some sensitization may be required, but not necessarily a heightening of vibration.
2. It may be sufficient to tune out the physical plane.
c. Outward over the world of events, over the exoteric objective world of tangible happenings.
3. Still holding the consciousness in the ajna centre express to yourself in definitely formulated thought, the duty of the day in the light of this triple interrelation.
1. In the types of meditation proposed by Master DK “definitely formulated thought” plays a big part.
2. Much meditation pursued today is vague and ‘drifty’. But DK respects the power of mental formulation, and knows that this concretizing power must be used in the service of the Plan.
3. “The duty of the day” is not the desire of the day, or the hope of the day. It has to do with that which is required by the Plan.
4. The purpose of this meditation is to see with the Eye of the Soul how spiritual objectives many be carried out through the substance of humanity and manifested in the external world.
4. Then focussing the light that is in you, send out the dedicated energy of your personality into the sphere of your chosen work through the medium of your left [Page 591] eye and the potent energy of your soul through the right eye. This will prove potent in effect.
1. This is very occult directive. We are told to “keep our eye upon” our work. But which eye?
2. It appears to be the enhancement of the sphere of “chosen work” which is the goal in the use of each eye. Probably if we experiment using our eyes as directive instruments, we will sense a different ‘feel’ in the beam originating from each eye.
3. Of we think of the stream coming from the personality as “dedicated”, we can think of the stream coming from the soul as “inspiring”.
4. In this case the soul energy is “potent” because the soul is focussed upon the first ray.
5. Then—as a soul—draw from the realm of soul life a fresh supply of soul energy and concentrate it in the head and heart, holding it steadily there for use during the day's work.
1. DK has talked previously to JWK-P about the source of supply that can be tapped through meditation.
2. First ray types, when healing, do similarly. They draw upon the great reservoir of prana and throw it into their patients, expelling the diseased condition thereby.
“It is said that in attempting the cure of disease the best method for the first ray man would be to draw health and strength from the great fount of universal life by his will power, and then pour it through the patient” (EP I 202).
3. This aspect of the meditation is obviously a ‘recharging’.
6. Sound the OM three times inaudibly.
1. The inaudible sounding can be as potent and, usually, more potent than its audible counterpart.
2. There is a trinity given in this meditation: the world of the soul, the subjective world and the external world. There is an OM for each.
This should only take a few minutes but it must be done dynamically and with full control over thought and activity.
My blessing rests upon you.
1. DK recognizes the need of JWK-P for “dynamic” approaches.
2. This is a willful meditation. There is no passivity in it; the point is alignment and coordination of the levels more than openness to impression.
1. The Master was concentrating His forces at this time. He gave potent, brief injunctions to all His chelas. They were at this time operating through the new, reorganized Seed Group of 24. The groups-of-nine had been disbanded.
2. Within four short months or less, the Forces of Light would be in their most compromised position in the entire progress of the War. The Masters were preparing to withdraw thinking that humanity would go down to defeat.
3. Still, Master DK took the time to write, strengthen and empower. The instructions given in August 1942 were the only instructions given in the form of brief statements. DK must have had His reasons. The times were perilous.
4. It is impossible to interpret these statements as the one for whom they were intended would interpret them. They were specially crafted for the chela in question. All we can do is gather certain hints from them.
1. Hold in your hand the thread of all my outer work and hold it there for me.
1. This is a tremendous responsibility The Master, in His own right, does this for an extensive range of outer work. Now His chela is being asked to do the same.
2. It seems that DK is invoking the loyalty and sense of duty of this most responsible chela. When one is doing something for the Master, one does it with the utmost conscientiousness—the more so if the Master has made a specific request.
2. The symbols of the hands and feet hold a secret that you need.
1. This reminds one of the mantram or formula found in Agni Yoga: “By human hands and feet” (Agni Yoga Paragraph 373)
2. The New Age is not built by the Masters but by Their disciples (howevermuch under the guidance of the Great Ones).
3. JWK-P was working within the third or material sphere. The hands and feet correlate with the third aspect in the body. They have to do with activity.
3. Your Master says this word to you and through my lips: You know the point achieved. Move on.
1. This may or may not refer to an initiation taken. It is not really our business and we cannot know. JWK-P would know, and that is the important point.
2. It is the way of a first ray Master to say, directively, “Move on!”
3. Why is it important for a chela to know the point achieved? Perhaps so that he can work with greater certainty and authority. Perhaps so that he can drop a former focus, and concentrate his energy upon a new focus.
4. Although disciples often seem to know where they stand, a word from the Master acts as confirmation, clarifying the consciousness and rendering it more decisive.
5. DK gave the word of confirmation to some of the disciples. He let them know what they have achieved. They had been, perhaps, vaguely aware of a possibility; with the help of His words, however, they realized that what they had suspected was, indeed, a fact.
4. Three groups there are which you must aid and fuse them into one. And this upon the inner side.
1. We cannot know the three groups to which DK refers.
2. Three groups, however, worked in relation to the Lucis Trust: namely, the Arcane School, World Goodwill and Triangles. One could imagine the Tibetan referring to these three, which were to function in the closest cooperation.
3. If it were these three, no outer organizational methods would be required. Rather, an inner realization of their relationships and a subjective strengthening of those relationships would be required.
5. Joy comes through pain and not alone through strength achieved or in the service wrought. It takes all three. These three you have.
1. Here we have a profound statement of great psychological value to JWK-P.
2. It is obvious, in the case of this first ray disciple, that there is “strength achieved” and, certainly, “service wrought”.
3. The sources of pain would be more obscure (to us) though, no doubt, JWK-P knew exactly those aspects in his psyche or body, or those circumstances which were sources of pain.
4. DK seems to be asking him to value pain. Usually disciples do not value it, thinking of it as unnecessary, dispensable, perhaps as evidence that something is amiss.
5. While we can see how joy comes of “strength achieved” and of “service wrought”, how does it come through “pain”? This is a deeper question.
6. Joy is surely not achieved only because of personality happiness. It must sound through the personality no matter what may be the condition of that personality (harmonious or inharmonious, happy or pained).
7. Pain is a great sensitizer and, through this sensitizing, may open the door to the reception of joy. The transition from happiness to joy requires much experience.
8. The suggestion of the necessity of pain in order to experience joy requires pondering. It would seem contradictory; therefore, one must stay with it until it becomes a realization.
9. Perhaps joy would not be joy unless it persisted in the face of pain.
6. The gift of play must come to you, my brother. Play upon the earth and play in the hidden place and sport yourself within the playground of the Gods.
1. This injunction comes to a super-serious disciple. DK has been “after him” since the first to, as it were, “lighten up” (a phrase with more than one meaning).
2. An earlier stage upon the “playground” is described in the following way:
The picture changes form. Another voice, coming from close at hand utters another phrase. The life continues on its way. ‘Enter the field where children play and join their game.’ Awakened to the game of life, the soul passes the gate.
The field is green and on its broad expanse the many forms of the one moving Life disport themselves; they weave the dance of life, the many patterned forms God takes. The soul enters ‘the playground of the Lord’ and plays thereon until he sees the star with five bright points, and says: ‘My Star’.” (DINA I 674-674)
3. A later stage offers this advice:
Out into radiant life and light! The cave is left behind; the cross is overturned; the way stands clear. The word sounds clear within the head and not within the heart. ‘Enter again the playground of the Lord and this time lead the games’.” (DINA I 676)
4. What is the value of “play”? Perhaps to offer the opportunity for fresh energy access? Also, play may induce “joy” which is one of the chief keynotes for JWK-P.
5. What is the “hidden place”? What is the “playground of the Gods”? Play, as enjoined here, is as much an attitude as an act. The “gods” have a certain orientation towards the entire universe. They understand the “Divine Lila” (the “play of the gods”). Maybe DK is asking JWK-P to find that ‘place’ within himself where some glimmer of that understanding can arise.
MY BROTHER, FRIEND AND CO-WORKER:
Have you lately read the statement which I gave you in my previous instruction? It carries for you your instructions for the future and gives you—as you now read it—far more of teaching value than it did a year ago. These instructions still hold good. You have had a most difficult year, my brother, and those of us who are working with all of you on the inner side are not unmindful of it....
1. We note that the instructions given by the Teacher are not meant only for a short time; they may be of value for years to come.
2. At the time when DK closed His last experiment with this group of chelas, He gave a number of them instructions which were meant to last for the remainder of their present incarnation.
3. The Master has prevision and writes with the entirety of a chela’s incarnation in mind. Perhaps He writes even for future incarnations or in preparation for future incarnations.
4. Occasionally for encouragement, the Master will let a chela know that their difficulties are not unnoticed. It is a form of strengthening.
The work, planned and outlined by me during past years, has been largely at a standstill. But what did you expect, my brother? There is one point which you have perhaps failed to grasp, but which is to me a source of continual joy and satisfaction. The work of the Goodwill movement has been so eminently and essentially successful that today it demonstrates in the form of a myriad plans for post-war helpfulness, in the form of thousands of groups and of millions of well-intentioned people, forward-looking and kind, of all races and nationalities, who are preparing to do their share in salvaging humanity and in re-establishing (on sounder and better lines) the needed security and happiness. I refer not here to the work done by all of you since I published my first pamphlet, The New Group of World Servers, in 1932. That was only a part of the larger effort. I refer to the outpouring of the Christ consciousness and the spirit of love upon the world. This was initiated in 1825, and brought about the major welfare movements, led to the organisation of the groups which wrought for human betterment, aided in the founding of the labour movements which were founded on right motive, inspired educational processes, philanthropic enterprises and the great medical expansions, and which today is seeping into world government and beginning to condition all the plans for world peace and international relations. Success is assured, though movements may progress slowly....
1. The pressures of the War were manifesting. There were reports that AAB and FB thought, at certain times, that they would have to close down the entire operation for lack of funds and materials.
2. DK is sharing words of encouragement to a discouraged brother.
3. It is noteworthy that a Master also can feel “joy and satisfaction”. We may lose touch with the essential humanity of the Masters.
4. DK elevates His chela’s vision to a contemplation of the larger picture, to the pouring out of Christ Consciousness upon the world and all that that outpouring has meant in terms of the stimulation of the energy of goodwill in the hearts and minds of men.
5. The year 1825 was an amazing year. The first Shamballa Impact in modern times occurred in that year, but something additional relating to the second ray as well as the first. The five hundred year second ray cycle began in 1575, which meant that 1825 was the half-way point of the outgoing cycle of the second ray. (c.f., the works of Stephen D. Pugh)
6. 1825, therefore, was a point of great expressive strength in relation to the second ray. The Christ utilized this opportunity to stimulate the origination of many movements animated by the “spirit of love”.
7. One can imagine the tremendous potency of that year, given both the Shamballa Impact and the peak of the outgoing second ray cycle. We are told that the Masters did much in the nineteenth century to offset certain developing dangers in the condition of humanity. Many artists were ‘sent in’ before their time to attempt to uplift human consciousness. As a whole, however, these efforts failed, and materialism took hold of humanity in dangerous ways, leading progressively to the first and second World Wars.
8. We can see how the second ray works and the fields in which it focusses: welfare, labour, education, medical progress, philanthropy, etc.
9. When a disciple’s consciousness becomes darkened by doubt, depression or despair, reference to the larger picture is therapeutic.
It is the massed endeavour which will release humanity in the coming cycle. You have worked better than you know or care; you are and can increasingly be a channel, for the simplicity of the first ray type of person is a terrific potency. Use it, my brother, free from isolation. It is ever easier for a first ray worker to proceed alone upon the way of his decision, but I would suggest that you work in closer cooperation with your fellow disciples. It is essential now that the projected work receive an intensification of vitality, that it should expand through the potency of its innate life, and that there should be a strengthening of the integral parts already built. It is of immediate importance that each cooperating server should be fired with a new and fresh enthusiasm, [Page 593] and should get the picture of the world-wide scope of the desired plan.
1. DK rarely offers compliments—except on purpose. He knows, in this case, that it will not go to this chela’s head.
2. DK tells JWK-P that he can be a “channel”—obviously not the kind of channel which today generates so many useless and often spurious books, but rather a channel (one could think) for will and purpose.
3. We are given to know that simplicity “is a terrific potency”. When force is not divided by complexity and conflict, it has a greater impact.
4. DK is a second ray Master and ever His task is to help this first ray disciple moderate certain first ray attitudes and tendencies. He wishes JWK-P to affiliate more with his co-workers rather than maintain the isolation which first ray types find so natural and agreeable. It is never easy to blend those who are upon the first and second rays, as sad events not long after AAB’s passing confirmed.
5. DK is trying to inspire JWK-P so that he, in turn, may be a source of inspiration to the workers who are responsible to him. The Master seeks to strengthen His chela so that he can strengthen others.
I suggest that the emphasis during the coming year be laid upon the objective aspect. The subjective quality has been presented, and this has been right because the subjective aspect of any form of expression must be living and expanding if the objective form is to take its place in world phenomena with power and usefulness. The potentialities of organised services for the spiritual strengthening of the world of men, the technique of their growth and the processes of their development—individual, group, and eventually a veritable network of interrelated groups—should now be elaborated. The more subjective work, emphasising the spiritual growth of humanity along the lines of the new approach to divinity has, as you can see, a definite relation to the new world religion and can eventually be focussed around the various full moons.
1. DK presents a direction for emphasis during the coming period. The “objective aspect” is to be emphasized.
2. The teaching is given that the objective aspect can only succeed if the subjective work has preceded it.
3. DK is asking for work related to outward organization. The subjective work is to be focussed in relation to the new world religion and the various full moon festivals.
4. We can see DK enjoining upon JWK-P that which now might be called “networking”. There was a need to make the inner network more outwardly visible.
5. We have to remember that JWK-P had a first ray soul and second ray personality. As well, there is strong probability of the second ray monad, so it was, indeed, essential that he learn how to constructively blend these two energies.
In the coming year let "joy be your strength." This is only possible when power, will and strength are blended with love, wisdom and skill in action and speech. My strength is yours, and the overshadowing care of your own Master rests ever on you.
1. The very theme which the Tibetan first presented to JWK-P is here reiterated. This first ray disciple has strength, no doubt, but true joy would only increase that strength.
2. How brilliantly the Master blends the first and second rays as He offers JWK-P a vision of the union of the two aspects!
3. How remarkable is His final sentence, for from His own nature He offers JWK-P strength—a first ray virtue, and when He mentions JWK-P’s own Master, He describes that Master as offering “overshadowing care” (much more a second ray virtue). This reversing, mixing and blending of first ray and second ray qualities simply must be deliberate, and is intended, so it would seem, to prevent JWK-P for centering himself only in the first ray.
(And I mean this in its fullest sense.) I start this instruction for you with two statements: First of all, in the discussion of the work which I undertook in 1919 and upon which I reported to the Hierarchy—the twenty years of work and the six years of that work during the war—your name necessarily came up as did that of your fellow disciples. The discussion was between the Master Morya (your Master), the Master K.H., and Master R. in whose hands lies the rehabilitation of Europe, and myself. The comment made by your Master was, "I am genuinely satisfied with him. A life of selflessness has fitted him for world-wide humanitarian work for the remainder of this life and the next."
1. An occult hint is being given. What would it mean to be to DK’s “Brother” and “in [the] fullest sense”? Is a degree of achievement here suggested?
2. We find DK often reviewing His own work with certain of the “Chiefs”—Masters M., KH, and R. The progress of the various disciples was apparently reviewed by the Masters, as was DK’s work by His own superiors. Twenty-six years had passed. In Hierarchy, all effort is reviewed for evaluation.
3. Again, DK gives a word of commendation to JWK-P. This is really rather rare, and it happens in relation to JWK-P rather frequently. There must be a purpose.
4. From the statements made by Master M. anent JWK-P (and passed on by Master DK), JWK-P learns that His Master approves of his labors. He also learns something of his life to come. It will be along the lines of humanitarian work. His work will be “world-wide”, and this, presumably, means that he will be a “world disciple”. But even then, at the time of the ‘review’, he was said to be fitted for “world wide humanitarian work for the remainder of this life…” [Italics MDR] This goes far toward informing us that JWK-P was already a “world disciple” at the time this instruction was written. A true “world-disciple” is an initiate of the third degree.
5. There are, therefore, a number of hints that suggest that JWK-P had taken the third degree or was very near to taking it. It can be presumed that AAB (just studying the nature of her life) had taken that degree. If JWK-P was to serve in his Master’s Ashram in a capacity parallel to the role filled by AAB in KH’s Ashram, then it can be assumed that their points in evolution were at least comparable.
6. It is probably a good idea for us to study the nature of selflessness as it is expressed by those upon the first ray. Students of an essentially second ray teaching are liable to interpret everything in second ray terms. This can be the cause of serious cases of non-recognition with respect to the achievements of fellow disciples on other rays.
The second statement I wish to make is that—given life [Page 594] and health—you face a period of service unprecedented in your experience. I have watched your development during fifteen years since you passed into my Ashram to get the training which will enable you later to take a position in the Ashram of your own Master—a position similar to that of A.A.B. in the Ashram of K.H. You have learnt rapidly and moved fast, and it is only right and just that you should know it. You have certain difficulties to overcome in the use of first ray energy, and any mistakes you may have made in harsh judgements and in its physical expression in speech are simply incidental to the learning of the right use of soul energy. This is your immediate problem.
1. DK is assessing the present standing of his ‘temporary’ disciple, JWK-P. The Master promises a period of service unprecedented in JWK-P’s experience. No doubt the death of AAB was foreseen and the tremendous responsibility to be assumed by JWK-P was hinted.
2. The year was 1946. DK tells us that JWK-P has been in His ashram for fifteen years. This would mean that he entered that Ashram in 1931—the time when the first instructions to DK’s chelas were written. JWK-P had been married to AAB (DRS) for quite a number of years before that point. The implication is that even when she was taking dictation on such books as Initiation Human and Solar and A Treatise on Cosmic Fire, JWK-P had still been a member of Master Morya’s Ashram.
3. JWK-P was an advanced disciple and knew how to progress swiftly. He was tested, selfless and utterly sincere.
4. It is interesting how often DK presents JWK-P with the facts. This chela has “learnt rapidly and moved fast” and the fact of his speed is presented to him—as a fact. “I assert the fact” is the Word of Power for first ray chelas in relation to the building of the antahkarana. DK knows that is useful to be direct with first ray disciples.
5. DK is skillful in presenting the JWK-P’s immediate problem—the sometimes harsh misuse of first ray energy while “learning the right use of soul energy”. One can see that there were a number of reasons why JWK-P was assigned to Master DK’s Ashram.
6. The implication is that JWK-P is, indeed, learning—to be more loving, more understanding, less harsh. The second ray energy of the personality does not suffice to make this an easy lesson, nor is the energy of the monad sufficiently easy of access to help very much. Yet, he is learning.
7. With Gemini on the Ascendant, thought and speech would be two important foci in JWK-P’s life. He was, in fact, a writer of a number of very good esoteric books, among which were Running God’s Plan and Changing Esoteric Values. The quite close Pluto square to Mercury gave depth to his thought but also harshness.
Every time that first ray energy pours through you it leads to a trifling or a true crisis in your relationships with others. You need to acquire a more general and genuine liking (as a means to understanding) of your fellowmen, particularly of those who are your co-workers in my work. When the time arrives this development will pay you good dividends if your fellow students welcome your leadership. They are prepared to do this but will miss the love and nonsense (frequently teaching nonsense) by means of which A.A.B. is apt to handle situations. Be not ruthless or dissatisfied with their efforts to make good. Many of them are in the preliminary stages of being trained so as to fit themselves to be on the periphery of some Ashram and there trained for discipleship.
1. Here a very understanding second ray Master is offering wise counsel to one through whom the first ray pours strongly.
2. The first ray can cause splits and cleavages; it can be a repelling, rebuffing energy.
3. DK urges JWK-P to develop a more “general and genuine liking…of your fellowmen”. Of course, He gives JWK-P a reason for why this liking is useful; it is a means for understanding.
4. The time for AAB’s departure is not far away, and DK is trying to prepare JWK-P for his succession into a position of great authority—the directorship of the Lucis Trust.
5. DK is hinting that some of the disciples do not, at present, welcome the thought of JWK-P’s impending leadership. I found this to have been the case; at least it was so presented to me when conversing with one of the second ray disciples in the group who reminisced on the situation. Incidentally, but predictably, it was the second ray disciples who appear to have had a problem with JWK-P’s methods.
6. The second and first ray methods are contrasted. Apparently AAB was very good at diffusing difficult or problematic situations (probably interpersonal) with “nonsense”—a light, playful and harmonizing touch, which often revealed some truth, as it was “teaching nonsense” [Italics MDR]. DK is not expecting that JWK-P can or will be that way, but is at least letting him know of the value of alternative approaches—second ray approaches.
7. The first ray can be ruthless, and DK warns JWK-P against this attitude. He also enjoins upon him a sense of proportion. It is easy to judge people as inadequate if one’s standards are too high, or, at least, too high measured again the present stage upon the Path of those who are judged. DK reminds JWK-P of the spiritual “standing” of some of the disciples surrounding him—disciples whom he might rather harshly criticize for lack of sufficient performance.
You need, my brother, to be more appreciative of effort and less critical of accomplishment. With true failures you are ever kind and understanding and have demonstrated this often, but you are apt to despise (behind a kind manner) those who appear satisfied with what they have done. You need also to learn with wisdom to choose your workers when it is your task to do so. It is not easy for you or for any first ray disciple to get close enough, or want to get close enough, to a person to really know him. You may remember the episode when the Master M. was at one time asked to handle the pupils of the Master K.H. so as to release Him for some brief job, and found himself unable to understand them or to do anything with them. It lies in the natural isolation of the first ray type. Have this in mind.
1. We see how perceptive DK can be.
2. The first ray type certainly has love. One with a second ray monad, second ray personality and second ray astral body would surely have much love upon which he could draw. First ray soul types see things in a large way. When fundamental issues were at stake; when real failure has appeared, then, JWK-P has demonstrated first ray love.
3. We have much to learn about how Master DK offers correction. He mentions a positive quality and then brings forward the matter which needs correction. It works much better than straight criticism. If one studies the Master’s methods, one will see this technique often used.
4. AAB used to speak of the need to be “personally impersonal” and “impersonally personal”. The first ray type dislikes personalism, but may, because of this aversion, not really get to know the nature of his co-workers.
5. DK elevates the whole problem into a larger context, recounting an anecdote concerning Masters M and KH. Master M. was left in charge of KH’s chelas for a short time, but found Himself “unable to understand them or do anything with them”. Somehow, there is a releasing humor in this. There are important qualities in the nature of these two rays which simply stand opposed to each other (unless approached with broad understanding).
6. DK is insistent that this problem must be solved. As He said a few paragraphs earlier: “This is your immediate problem”.
7. The emergent principle is that there are vices are our virtues, and these are the most difficult to solve.
8. Anyway, the quality of “appreciation” (a Venusian quality) is urged upon JWK-P. It is a quality which, so DK tells us, helps to overcome cleavages. In this case, the cleavages are caused by the sometimes unwise use of first ray force.
Be sure to choose the workers (when the decision lies with you) who are on the second ray, or first ray people in whom the love element is highly developed, but not over-developed. You are apt to be suspicious of people's motives. Give them due credit for sincerity and for having something as yet to learn, and help them learn their lessons—by loving them and trusting them; confine your chief attempt to establishing a measure of intimacy with your workers—friendship and a working partnership; this will guarantee the success of your work.
1. DK keeps the balance. It is not always JWK-P’s task to choose the workers—presumably in the Lucis Trust—but when it is, DK advises him to choose those upon the second ray, or first ray people with a highly developed love aspect—though not over-developed. This last comment is interesting. Perhaps it indicates that some first ray workers, realizing their lack of love—place too much stress upon it and thereby sacrifice a healthy balance.
2. DK is really training JWK-P to replace AAB. He is intensifying His counsel so that evident dangers may be avoided. (It seems, in fact, they were not avoided.)
3. Suspicion (a first ray predisposition related to paranoia) is a cause of glamor, and DK warns JWK-P away from it. Trust, love, and friendship, true partnership—these are suggested. DK is asking JWK-P to be kinder to persons—especially to the personal aspect of his co-workers.
4. Interestingly, He asks JWK-P to become more intimate with his co-workers. To second ray types He would probably have to say just the opposite.
5. None of this advice is given so that JWK-P may become a ‘nicer person’, but rather so that the future work may be successful.
6. The first ray can be shockingly exacting. It is said that Master M. once ordered that a huge tapestry (on which years of labor had been expended) be completely unraveled and rewoven because one thread was out of place!
7. Success upon the Path of Occultism (and especially in group work) depends upon a balanced approach. Overemphasis on any one ray may cause inharmony and disruption. Always the other ray-approaches (and those who are expressions of them) have to be appreciated. This calls for self-extension and a willingness to change habitual responses. It is not easy.
8. We must remember that JWK-P had a Taurus Moon, so some aspects of the habit nature did not change rapidly. Though, with Gemini Ascending, he was adaptable should purpose require it.
Your mind and brain are full of the work to be done. You work as do all first ray workers and as the Master Morya. First ray workers provide the substance with which the second ray workers build and the other ray workers qualify and modify. You inspire substance with the energy and purpose and with the life necessary to render it responsive to the plan—the Plan of goodwill which the Masters are at present implementing and for which They seek workers. Write more, my brother; you have the vision and your meditation is sound. It has always been along first ray lines as taught in the Ashram of the Master Morya. This few people understand. Any other form of meditation would be false to you. Though you oft chide yourself for not acceding with exactitude to my demands, I judge your meditation nevertheless to be perhaps the most satisfactory of any in the group.
1. This is one of the most affirmative statements that can be given. Again we notice the Master’s technique. If correction must be given, it is preceded by affirmation and followed by the same.
2. An important relationship between the rays is given. First ray workers “provide the substance within which the second ray workers build…” This was certainly true of JWK-P’s financial responsibility for the Lucis Trust.
3. The thought of inspiring substance with energy, purpose and life is worth pondering. This is really very occult method of working—a first ray method.
4. Here JWK-P is given the injunction to write. This he did after AAB passed on. His books appeared in the early 1950’s. It is interesting that one of the things that qualifies JWK-P to write is that his “meditation is sound”. Apparently, this means he has something of value to write about.
5. We learn here about the first ray method of meditation. Meditation of a certain kind is taught in the Ashram of Master M. Such meditation is briefer than second ray meditation, but there are apparently other qualities which are not elaborated here. The idea of the “rapier like alignment” may be related to this method.
6. We see JWK-P’s conscientiousness. He would like to fulfill what the Tibetan requests in terms of meditation, but it not in his nature to do so. The Master (ever adaptable when it serves a purpose) does not chide JWK-P (as he chides himself) but offers understanding. DK knows the value of JWK-P’s meditation. Strict conformity to the suggested outer form matters not. DK, we can see, respects that JWK-P essentially belongs to another Ashram, and honors that Ashram’s methods (which JWK-P instinctively follows).
I am, therefore, giving you a passage from the Old Commentary which has a direct reference to the work you are attempting to do.
"He stands in strength who sees the Will of God behind the Plan. The will-to-good substands all true goodwill. That will is he.
The Plan for this cycle of the sixth objective crisis is goodwill for all men, and through all men, goodwill. That Plan starts now.
The Plan, within our planet as a whole, is the changing of the energy discharging unit (the etheric subplanes—A.A.B.). The fourfold form must assume triangular relation. Ponder on this.
The objective of the Plan is to reproduce upon the plane of earth the inner kingdom of the soul. This has the Master of the Masters long foretold. Prepare the way."
1. In the discussion of the two types of will—the will-to-good and goodwill, we again see a relation between the first and second rays. The will-to-good is attuned more to the first ray (though not exclusively) and goodwill to the second (though not exclusively since goodwill is “love in action”).
2. This section from the Old Commentary is quite occult. Purpose (represented by the Will of God) is related to Plan. Causes and effects are proposed.
3. By pondering this section, one learns to identify as the will. This seems to be one of the objectives in giving JWK-P this selection from the Old Commentary for contemplation.
4. The present time is called the “cycle of the sixth objective crisis”. What may that mean? When the number six is mentioned, we must think of the astral plane (and its desire nature) or the monadic plane. We must also think of Mars and Neptune. We begin to ponder planetary history and wonder what sequence of crises is being referenced. At one point DK tells us that the coming age represents the seventh time in the Aryan Rootrace that the seventh ray has combined with the precessional sign Aquarius. Perhaps, we must ponder lengthy planetary spans to discover the nature of the sixth objective crisis.
5. We might also link this crisis to the coming of the sixth subrace of the fifth rootrace or to the sixth rootrace itself.
6. We are told that “That Plan starts now”. There is something here about laying plans for the emerging of a new civilization and culture. The implication is that JWK-P is participating in the immediacy of this Plan.
7. We are grateful to AAB for providing the meaning of the “energy discharging unit”. If it does represent the etheric subplanes (and it very probably does), it is an interesting way to conceive of this dimension.
8. The etheric pattern of the Earth’s etheric plane must be transformed from a system of squares into a system of triangles. This is one of the purposes of the work of the Triangles project; it is a project near to the Tibetan’s heart and for which JWK-P had at least indirect responsibility.
9. We are learning, by contemplating this selection, many things about the Divine Plan—its relation to the Will of God and its etheric outworking.
10. The final stanza deals with the objectification on Earth of the “inner kingdom of the soul”. The Externalization of the Hierarchy is part of this process. The Christ is referenced as the “Master of the Masters”. JWK-P’s task is to “prepare the way”. He, therefore, is part of the “Forerunner” process, which is preparing the way for the reappearing Christ.
11. We remember that “Knowledge of the Plan” is part of JWK-P’s keynote formula. We can wee why the Tibetan presents him with such selections; they reveal the Plan anent which he is to gather knowledge.
12. Contemplation of this selection from the Old Commentary could certainly strengthen any sincere worker with the Plan—especially one upon the first ray.
My blessing rests upon you for all the work which you have done. I—your friend, brother and teacher—ask and need your still continued help.
1. DK is demonstrating the very intimacy which He enjoins upon JWK-P.
2. In this case, why just tell someone to do something? Rather, demonstrate the thing to be done and teach by example.
BROTHER OF MINE:
Today in the ordinary course of events and as part of my final planning in relation to the work preparatory to the coming of the Christ, I have certain items of information to impart. The keynote of the next few years of your work is—as well you know—the making known and the steady and intelligent preparation of the human consciousness for His reappearance. With the subject of that reappearance I deal not here, but there is somewhat which I seek to say anent that which may be done by all of you upon whom I have kept a supervisory eye during the past few years.
1. This instruction seems to have a general tone. It is intended for many readers, not just JWK-P.
2. The Reappearance of the Christ is the most important item of the hierarchical agenda, and JWK-P was in a position to really do something about it.
3. There have been some rather unintelligent teachings given about the Christ’s reappearance. The whole subject must be rescued from claim-making, gullibility and fanaticism.
4. DK speaks of the “supervisory eye” He has been keeping on some of the disciples. He disbanded His last experiment in 1946. When this present instruction was written already two years had passed. Perhaps He is letting His disciples know that He is still very much “with” them.
There are five Masters and five Ashrams involved in this preparatory work. First of all, there is the Ashram of the Master K.H.; this is the presiding Ashram in this work owing to the fact that it is a second ray Ashram and, therefore, upon the same line of energy as that of the Christ Himself; another reason is that the Master K.H. will assume the role of World Teacher in the distant future when the Christ moves on to higher and more important work. Next comes the Ashram of the Master Morya; the reason for this is that the whole procedure is projected from Shamballa and the Ashram of the Master Morya is ever in close touch with that dynamic centre. The Master R.—as the Lord of Civilisation—is also closely involved; He is also—and this is of major importance—Regent of Europe.
1. There is much confusion regarding the term of duration of the Christ’s next and greatest service to humanity and the planet. Some have imagined that the Master KH is already assuming the role of the Christ. This is a great distortion. The words, “distant future”, are here used. They signal, in all probability, the beginning of the Age of Capricorn some 2300 years from now. It is probable that the Christ’s work for humanity will involve Him (and the Buddha) for most if not all of the Aquarian Age, though it is not expected that the Buddha will reappear tangibly.
2. Master KH’s Ashram is very important in the work of preparing for the Christ’ Reappearance. Master DK, as a Master who is within KH’s Ashram, must also be very much involved. The major teaching regarding the Christ’s Reappearance has, after all, come through Master DK.
3. The process known as the Reappearance of the Christ is, so we are told, “projected from Shamballa”. It would not be happening were it not the will of the Lord of the World. Because of the Shamballic roots of this process, the Master M. (ever in close touch with Shamballa) is intimately involved.
4. In several places in the Teaching, Master DK mentions that Master R is “Regent of Europe”—mentioned even as early as the first book, Initiation: Human and Solar, at which time Master R. was not yet Mahachohan.
5. The process of the Reappearance must involve, in some way, the entire Spiritual Hierarchy of our planet, but it seems that these particular Masters are most involved. DK goes on to name others.
I have also at times referred to the Master Who is responsible for the reorganisation of Labour; this work He began to do in the latter part of the nineteenth century but left it to [Page 597] carry forward on its own momentum when Russia entered the field and laid its emphasis upon the proletariat or the workers, to the exclusion of all other members of national groups. This produced what we might call the workers' revolution in the latter years of the first quarter of the twentieth century. I myself am the fifth Master concerned in this work and am—as it were—the liaison officer between those disciples who are working in the field of the world and Those Masters Who are directly responsible to the Christ for the needed work of preparation.
1. The list is then complete: Master KH; Master M; Master R; the English Master concerned with the Labour Movement; and Master DK.
2. The work of this particular English Master is very interesting. He may be the second ray Master referred to in The Initiate in the Dark Cycle as “Sir Thomas”—a reference to an incarnation as Sir Thomas More in the time of Henry the VIII.
3. We see that a Master may take an interest in a certain type of work, but if those stimulated by His interest become unbalanced, fanatical or separative, He may direct His attention elsewhere to avoid the danger of over-stimulating the process and exacerbating the already evident abuses. Russia was responsible, it seems, for taking the Labour Movement in directions which were not intended by the Master Who impulsed the process—no doubt through the power of His thought.
4. Master DK’s role as “Gemini” or “Mercury” is clear. He is the “Messenger”—the “liaison officer” between the disciples in the field and the sponsoring Masters. He is, therefore, a kind of “antahkarana” within the Externalization Process. He is adept at “field work”, often associated with the third ray.
Certain picked disciples from all these five Ashrams have been or will be trained for the work of contacting the public. Many of them (perhaps the majority) are totally unknown to you. Some of them you know. I refer not here to A.A.B. whose exoteric work is known to you whilst her esoteric work is well known to Us. Her exoteric work is drawing to a close and this also is an idea to which you are well accustomed.
1. We see that disciples from all five Ashrams are involved in this Externalization work. The public must be contacted and some disciples are picked or chosen to do so.
2. DK is trying to widen the consideration so the members of the Lucis Trust do not think they are the only ones involved in preparing the way for the Reappearance.
3. DK is preparing the way for AAB’s transition. He does this skillfully, making it seem the most natural thing.
4. At the same time, He teaches much about the distinction between exoteric and esoteric work, hinting at the importance of AAB’s esoteric work. Elsewhere, He speaks of its importance. And yet it was totally unknown to most of her co-workers.
5. Master DK is interested in a smooth transition at AAB’s passing. It occurred a little more than a year after the writing of this particular letter.
6. In any case, the Master’s words broaden the consciousness and decentralize the participants in the Externalization and Reappearance process.
You, my brother, have ahead of you the consolidating of all the work which A.A.B. has started for Us. I refer specifically to the new teaching, embodied in the books which she has published, to the work of the Triangles and the work of Goodwill. I refer also to the counsel and help which you will give to the younger key people, as they endeavour to adapt the Arcane School to the pattern of the new teaching which I have given and which will eventually sweep the world (if the work is properly handled) and thus prepare the people for the new world religion. R.S.U. has also been designated for this work of preparation and—in my instruction to her—I shall indicate certain basic attitudes which she must develop and hold as she stands steadily with you and with the younger key people. I particularly want her to work with them because she is a true esotericist and the Arcane School is fundamentally an esoteric school.
1. Much responsibility is being placed on JWK-P’s shoulders. DK reiterates its nature. The various aspects of the work of the Lucis Trust are to be left in JWK-P’s care.
2. JWK-P, although he is not along the second ray line (in his soul), is to offer counsel to those who are up and coming—the “younger key people”. The Arcane School has gone through many phases. Some of the later teaching of the Tibetan is very advanced and, at length, the Arcane School would have to reflect that.
3. The “new teaching” was eventually to “sweep the world”. Did it do so? Probably, it did. Probably this great teaching has reached with profit many who do not acknowledge it. The Blue Books are now everywhere, including “on line”. They are available to all, and many gain inspiration from this incomparable source. Apparently, the work was “properly handled”. JWK-P was in the habit of handling things properly.
4. How interesting that the new teaching is to prepare people for the New World Religion! There is much more to this “religion” than one would think. Esoteric thinking must underlie it, and it must be based on the Science of Cycles (involving both ray and astrological cycles).
5. DK is trying to set up a relation between JWK-P on the first ray and RSU on the second. They were to work together. JWK-P presumably was to head the Lucis trust and supervise World Goodwill and Triangles as well as all financial matters. RSU was to be in charge of the Arcane School.
6. Unfortunately, this did not come to pass as DK had envisioned. There was a split in this work during the early 1950’s and RSU, along with several other disciples form Lucis Trust Headquarters, formed the School for Esoteric Studies (a very worthy effort which still continues its service as an esoteric school).
7. It is hard to keep those on second and first ray lines working together with understanding. DK, it would seem, foresaw the dangers and tried to avert them.
8. RSU was also an advanced disciple. She had many hard-line rays 23-117, and was well suited for continued work along the second ray line. All could have worked out harmoniously, but without AAB to “hold it together”, and without the reliable presence of the Tibetan in writing (for AAB was gone), the marriage between the first and second ray did not hold. We cannot say it could not—only that it did not.
9. There also seems to be a statement about maintaining the quality of the Arcane School as an esoteric school. When the founder of an organization dies, there may be a general dilution of the original intention. DK sought to keep it on track, making sure that a deeply esoteric second ray touch remained with the school
10. Some have said that those upon the second ray went to the SES, while those on the first ray remained with the Arcane School. Initially, and to some extent, this may have been the case, but it presents things in a manner too “cut and dried”. While Mary Bailey who presided over the Arcane School for thirty years or so was on the first ray, she was well anchored in the second ray and certainly respected the second ray approach (since it was, according to her estimation, her personality ray, and, reasonably, her monadic ray as well).
Another disciple, D.H.B., is also entrusted with a share in this special field of preparatory work; he is not, however, to be concerned with the Goodwill work, but in another field which I will indicate to him in his own instruction. I am not doing much more than mentioning W.W. because this is his first cycle as an accepted disciple; the service which he has to do is already recognised by him and will provide a serious and important life work. It is my intention to give him a word of encouragement and of advice. I am mentioning all these disciples to you as they should all work in the closest cooperation with you and that lays upon you much responsibility. R.S.U. has for years worked side by side with you; she has come through her test triumphantly, and in the task of serving as a channel for esoteric light and information she is competent and likewise humble in her attitude.
1. The disciple DHB was another second ray disciple. He was in preparation for the third initiation. We see a number of these more responsible disciples either being prepared for the third degree or having taken it.
2. The best laid plans, however, sometimes do not develop as intended. It would seem that DHB, though, according to the Tibetan, a “friend of the Christ” (along the wisdom line), developed certain attitudes which rendered him less useful than earlier had been anticipated.
3. As for W.W.—we do not know who this may be. There is, however, a man who has done an excellent service for the Tibetan’s Teaching. He became a prolific author, adapting the teaching in the Blue Books to the understanding of those who were less learned esoterically. It is not (at this point) possible to tell whether this individual was W.W. (perhaps those close to him know), but this person certainly did undertake a “serious and important life work”, and did so with great persistence and success.
4. JWK-P is now being asked to come forward with the second ray virtues which DK has being trying to draw forth from him since the first. He is to be sufficiently magnetic to hold these various disciples in cooperative enterprise.
5. DK affirms the value of RSU, reminding JWK-P of how she has worked side by side with him, and suggesting that this cooperative work should continue.
6. Apparently RSU was strenuously tested. We will discuss the possible nature of such tests later when analyzing her instructions.
7. In the way DK describes RSU, we can see some of her rays at work. She is a “channel for esoteric light and information”. This correlates with her third ray personality as it serves the second ray soul. She was a Capricorn individual (Capricorn Sun-sign) and apparently had achieved the humility for which that sign is renowned (among its more highly developed subjects).
There is little else that I can say to you, brother of mine, save to tell you that you are trusted and that you will increasingly demonstrate the strength which comes to you from Shamballa, via your own Master. On that strength you may now draw. A.A.B. is quite correct when she says that your major hour of opportunity is now upon you as slowly she withdraws into that service which will (within the Ashram) enable K.H. to do more deeply spiritual work in collaboration with the Christ. It was to train her and thus enable her to do this that she undertook—alone and without my help—to found and organise the Arcane School; it gave her much needed training and experience and enabled her to demonstrate the quality of the teaching and that esoteric psychology which is the major task in each Ashram and particularly in the second ray Ashram.
1. This paragraph holds some amazing statements. The statement, “you are trusted” is a powerful affirmation of JWK-P’s value as a disciple.
2. JWK-P’s line to Shamballa is open, via His Master, Morya. Clearly there is karma which connects these two, and it may go back to Old Testament times.
3. We are shown AAB moving on to still greater service, which will allow KH to do still more important work for the Christ. We see the chain of Hierarchy at work. Each Master is relieved for greater work by the ascent of some initiate below. This will apply to all disciples as well, who must learn to train their replacements.
4. One of the inner reasons for the founding of the Arcane School is here given—to train AAB to do the work for KH which she was to do (after her passing, and perhaps in incarnations immediately ahead).
5. It is important for us to note that AAB founded the Arcane School “alone and without my help”. Some have thought it was easier for AAB to establish the Arcane School because she was so close to Master DK. This statement sets the record straight.
6. DK’s statement anent esoteric psychology is also of great importance; “that esoteric psychology which is the major task in each Ashram and particularly in the second ray Ashram”. One might have thought that esoteric psychology would be important only in the second ray Ashram or in the fourth, not in all.
You ask if there is aught that you can do. There is above everything else, the handling of the energy which is now streaming forth—the energy of Love in its dynamic or electric form. It is the Will aspect of Love which the Christ will of necessity use this time when He comes; when He earlier came He employed the teaching aspect of the second ray and not the Will aspect. First ray disciples are peculiarly susceptible to the Will aspect of Love, and for these reactions you must watch and endeavour always to lay your emphasis not upon the Will—of this latter quality you have (for this incarnation) an adequate and full supply. Let your fellow workers catch from you the radiance of Love. That, my brother, will release the financial supply so sorely needed; it will be the harmlessness which you and your fellow servers can demonstrate which will prove the needed agent. Proceed as usual, my tried and trusted brother.
1. Master DK gives JWK-P a hint about uniting his soul energy with the energy of his proposed second ray monad.
2. DK is again relating the first and second rays for JWK-P’s instruction, but the purposes of instruction now go far beyond their individual usefulness.
3. As a point of great interest to all, we are told that, when the Christ reappears, He will employ the “Will aspect of Love”, not the teaching aspect of the second ray as in His earlier appearance.
4. DK enjoins upon JWK-P the recognition and utilization of the “Will aspect of Love”. He is warned away from emphasizing the Will, pure and simple. Were he to succeed, an important link would be made between his first ray soul and proposed second ray monad.
5. It is not that JWK-P had enough Will forever. But for the present incarnation it was enough, and did not need augmentation.
6. DK wants the “radiance of Love” to pour forth from this trusted disciple.
7. As an incentive JWK-P is advised that the outgoing radiance of Love will “release the financial supply so sorely needed”.
8. The Master links harmless to financial supply. It would seek that JWK-P must always have a good reason for putting his trust in the energy of Love, and Master DK usually supplies a more than adequate reason.
9. DK’s valuation of JWK-P is high. This disciple is regarded as “tried and trusted”. The Tibetan seems to make more affirmative statements in the instructions to JWK-P than in any other series.
This instruction may perhaps disappoint you. I asked A.A.B. what she believed conditioned my response to your question. She replied: "You trust in his understanding, self-discipline and consecration." She was right. I have no distrust in you at all. So, my brother, I can advise naught, for you need not my advice; I—your friend and companion—can only suggest that you proceed as usual upon your way, remembering always to keep a recognised and conscious link with your Master.
1. From the beginning of this instruction, the impersonal tone was adopted. It was more an instruction to all than to one, and dealt with matters concerning the Externalization, the Reappearance and the Plan.
2. Why might this instruction “disappoint” JWK-P? Because it was not “personal” enough? DK is paying him a compliment by saying that he is not in need of the advice of his elder brother.
3. We do not know the nature of the question proposed by JWK-P to DK, through AAB. Apparently DK’s response indicated complete trust in JWK-P. AAB affirmed this trust when saying of DK’s attitude towards JWK-P: “You trust in his understanding, self-discipline and consecration”.
4. Apparently the question concerned advice that might be forthcoming from the Master. But no special advice was forthcoming. More than enough had been given in the past. What did come forth was a hearty “vote of confidence”.
5. These appear to be the last words for JWK-P from DK through AAB. In a book written in the 1950’s JWK-P mentioned that the Master had assured him there would be no third world war (at least at that time), so perhaps some kind of contact remained after AAB’s passing.
6. DK is putting things in proportion when He speaks of JWK-P as “my friend and companion”. It would seem that JWK-P stands within the Hierarchy to some degree—probably at the third degree.
7. If Hierarchy is “friendship in its purest sense”, JWK-P is now acknowledged as a friend of the Master. DHB was called a “friend of the Christ”. The term “friend” is not used in a sentimental way and has occult meaning.
8. DK’s last words recommend JWK-P to his own Master, the Master M. This final sentence seems to be returning or restoring JWK-P to his Master after some seventeen years of work in Master DK’s Ashram.
9. The principle is important for all disciples: keep a close link with your Master. The link should be both “recognized and conscious”. At JWK-P’s level of development this was possible.
10. In these instructions we see how a Master on the second ray worked intimately with a disciple/initiate on the first ray. We see with what care and respect the Master proceeded, and how much benefit accrued to the disciple through his association with this second ray Master. All these ‘ashramic loans’ and temporary affiliations are planned and foreseen. In this particular case, the arrangement worked out unusually well, both to the benefit of AAB and the Lucis Trust, but, presumably, for Master M’s Ashram as well—an Ashram in which JWK-P is destined to play a significant role.
To next commentary