Mercury and the Signs
Michael Robbins,with additional matching quotations by James Davis and commentaries by Phillip Lindsay
The process by which this commentary was developed cooperatively is suggested by the following.
First Track: A systematic and incremental approach to the study of the esoteric (and even hierarchical) meanings of the planets in the "signs". From an energy perspective, this is equivalent to the study of the energy of the planet when it combines esoterically with the energy of the constellation as mediated through the "signs" (whether we consider these "signs" as a solar transmission of constellational energy, or as a terrestrial adaptation of constellational energy).
Second Track: The proposal of some core astrological questions as proposed by a number of the group members.
Below I have some statements on Mercury in general. They are a mixture of what the Tibetan has said and what I have thought. Unfortunately, in some cases, I do not have the page numbers, in Esoteric Astrology from which they were taken, but I thought it was better to offer them to you (such as they are) than withhold them because I do not have the time at the moment to find all the page numbers.
(148) Mercury spreads the light of the soul--intuitive and illuminating-- upon the situation, to interpret for us, through our own illumined minds, the significance of events and to relate the old and the new, the past and the future through the light of the present.
(357) Mercury, the star of conflict, is also the major planet of relationships, for it governs and 'engineers' . . . the interplay between our Earth and its conditioning constellations.
Mercury illumines the mind and mediates between the soul and the personality, being the Messenger of the Gods. This mediatorship, in the first instance, produces an inevitable opposition between the pairs of opposites, and a long drawn out conflict. This conflict finally works out into victory and the dispelling of illusion through the illumination of the lower mind.
(436) Mercury brings in that quick and intuitive mind which interprets experience, fosters the growth of the intuition and relates the inner spiritual man to the outer human being in such a way that their future unity of purpose, plan and effort is answered.
(191) Mercury, which is the expression of the fourth ray and also the God of the mental processes. . . .
Mercury governs the intellectual faculties.
(353) Mercury, the Messenger of the Gods or the "divine intermediary" carries messages between the poles with speed and light.
(353) Mercury is the expression of the dual aspect of the mind as it mediates between higher and lower. The mediation falls into two stages; the use of the concrete mind as the mediator within the personality, conditioning the personality life, analysing and distinguishing between the self and the not-self and emphasizing the "me and thou" consciousness as well as that of the personality and its environment.
(353) [Mercury]. . .carries messages between the soul and the brain and establishes right relations between the lower self and the higher self . It is, therefore, the illumined mind, relating the soul and personality. This process of the higher relationships is carried forward with rapidity upon the Path of Discipleship.
(353) There is a third aspect of Mercury which begins to function when the other two are perfected or in the process of rapid perfecting. Mercury, in this case is the abstract mind --removed from all outer form contact as we understand it - and relates soul to spirit, and this again in two stages. Mercury is the revealer of the Spiritual Triad (atma-buddhi-manas or spiritual will, spiritual love and the higher mind) to the soul, and this carries the disciple to the stage of the third initiation. It is then the revealer of the life aspect during the processes of the higher initiations, but upon these it is not necessary to enlarge.
(132) Through Mercury the mind is illumined and relation is established between personality and the soul.
(272) . . . Mercury, the divine Messenger, the principle of illusion and the expression of the active higher mind, has performed his mission and "led humanity into the light" and the Christ-child out of the womb of time and of the flesh into the light of day and of manifestation. . .
(281) Mercury is the synthesis of manas-buddhi, mind-wisdom which expresses itself through the human soul; Mercury rules the bridge or the antahkarana.
(436) Mercury brings in that quick and intuitive mind which interprets experience, fosters the growth of the intuition and relates the inner spiritual man to the outer human being in such a way that their future unity of purpose, plan and effort is answered.
(281) Mercury, being the Messenger of the Gods and the Agent of their applied control, is therefore the agent of the third aspect (active intelligence) from one point of view, and of the second aspect (love-wisdom) from another. He is regarded as embodying in himself these aspects of the mental principles, the expression of the concrete and the abstract mind of God.
(127) Mercury indicates that the line of least resistance for humanity is harmony through conflict, for Mercury expresses the 4th ray energy which is buddhic, intuitional and expressive of the Christ, as Mercury and the Sun are one.
(662EA, from SD): Mercury is called the first of the celestial Gods, the God Hermes. . . to which God is attributed the invention of the first initiation into Magic.
(663EA, from SD):. . . Mercury is Budh, Wisdom, Enlightenment or 'reawakening' in the divine science.
(663EA, from SD): Mercury is the Lord of Wisdom.
(663EA, from SD): Mercury heals the blind and restores sight, mental and physical.
(663EA, from SD): Buddhi and Mercury correspond with each other and both are yellow and radiant golden-coloured. In the human system the right eye corresponds with Buddhi and the left with Manas and Venus or Lucifer.
MDR: To the soul, Mercury presents a channel for the reception of insight, and for the relating of that which is above to that which is below; it provides the method of correlating the abstract with the concrete; it provides the means of correlating experience so that its meaning becomes clear.
MDR: Mercury presents the personality with the opportunity to become more intelligent about, to receive ideas about. . .
When asking about Mercury in the various signs, some kinds of questions which may be useful ask are the following:
1) What type of messages are carried from soul to personality?
2) What are the qualitative and quantitative dynamics characterizing the 'carrying' and reception of such messages.
3) Qualitatively and quantitatively what is the nature of the 'dialogue' between soul and personality?
4) What is the specific type of right relation or 'bridging' which Mercury establishes between soul and personality?
5) In what way does the individual with Mercury in a particular sign give 'voice' and 'word' to higher realizations.
6) In what manner does Mercury in a particular sign contribute to the building of the Rainbow Bridge--the Antahkarana?
7) What is the nature of the individual's intuitive process and access---its strength, its quantity, its quality?
8) What is the nature and quality of the thoughtform-building process?
Etc.---You can devise other questions which pertain to the esoteric functioning of Mercury in the lives of disciples and initiates.
Mercury in Aries
Evolutionary Mantram of the Sign Aries: "And the Word said: Let form again be sought"
Spiritual Mantram of the Sign Aries: "I come forth, and from the plane of mind, I rule"
(548-9) Mercury . . . is the esoteric ruler of Aries (hence it "leads into the mysteries" . . . )
(95) Through the lesser fire of mind, the "jungles of illusion are set on fire and dissolve in flames and then the Path stands clear and unobstructed vision is achieved". (Old Commentary)
(96) This same purification [as in the case of Mars], but this time through vision, comes to the developed man through the activity of the subjective ruler of the planet, Mercury, who is the illuminating principle which releases the mind, directs the way of man through life and enables him to be aware of the divine Plan which underlies all his fiery experience.
Some Thoughts on the esoteric meaning of Mercury in Aries. (The usual exoteric and psychological interpretations are purposely not here emphasized).
1) The kind of mind that discovers 'new' Archetypes, (i.e., those which are on the point of revelation). It is a mind open to that which is as yet unrevealed. Shedding the light of the Archetypes, especially of the "Idea whose time has come".
2) The bringer of 'New Light' via the intuition.
3) Soul messages arrive with a 'blast', augmenting the conflict between soul and personality. A vigorous, interactive soul/personality dialogue. Sharp and 'argumentative' exchanges between soul and personality providing creative ferment and possible mental stress.
4) The pioneering, demanding mind, penetrating into the formless worlds by the force of will.
5) Willful and assertive 'bridging'. Bridging with strenuous effort, 'throwing' or 'hurling' strands of substance across the "gap in consciousness" during the Projection phase in the building of the Antahkarana.
6) Mentally, "taking the Kingdom of Heaven by storm".
7) The intuition which reveals the Will and Plan of God. The mind is unusually responsive to the Will Aspect.
8) Rapid reaction to new ideas and the tendency to act upon them rapidly.
9) Mental fertility, and the pouring forth of creative ideation. The creation and propelling of "seed ideas".
10) Soul messages are authoritative.
11) Great mental energy. The raging fire of mind is pronounced.
12) The soul/personality conflict (brought about by increased soul/personality communication) centers upon whether the personality is willing to live according to the new archetypes which the intuition reveals.
13) A mind useful in discovering 'First Principles', 'Causative Principles'.
14) The mind which rejects that which is pre-established--rejecting thoughts which have gone before. Under this influence, the individual must "see for himself".
15) A mind conducive to the achievement of mental synthesis.
16) The tendency to think in and respond to 'mental fiats', commands. "I come forth and from the plane of mind I rule".
17) A mind contributing to the willful regulation and suppression of the emotional, and physical-etheric vehicles.
18) A mind given to thinking in terms of absolutes. (Of course this will vary with the nature of the mental ray).
19) Daring mind, forcing the issues mentally.
20) A mind particularly responsive to the power aspect of ideas.
21) A mind (at a certain point in evolution) characterized by the 'Will to Identification', determined to weld subject/object into a sameness. (The higher mind of India is, I think, qualified by Aries).
Etc. Let the group see what qualities are suggested when then contemplate amalgamating the energies of Mercury with those of Aries.
Mercury in Taurus
Evolutionary Mantram of the Sign Taurus: "And the Word said: Let struggle be undismayed"
Spiritual Mantram of the Signs Taurus: "I see, and when the eye is opened, all is illumined"
I can find no references from the Tibetan which deal specifically with the position---Mercury in Taurus.
Some Thoughts on the esoteric meaning of Mercury in Taurus. (The usual exoteric and psychological interpretations are purposely not here emphasized).
1) Shedding the Light of Wisdom
2) Buddha-mind, which "buddhic" access. Noteworthy capability of achieving still mind (the "mind held steady in the light); thus a mind which can thus reflect the "clear, cold light".
3) Constructive mind, 'building-mind'. That which is built mentally abides in the mental body.
4) The intuition reveals that which is considered desirable and valuable from the perspective of the soul. Mind sheds light on that which is worth having.
5) The work of the Antahkarana is stable and constructive. The mental 'cables' are emphasized and strengthened through repetition. The mind goes over the same ground, thereby strengthening the range of the thoughts it thinks.
6) The mind is especially adapted to the stable reception of soul light. Soul light is particularly brilliant. Ideas are often of a practical nature and lead to the practical application of soul light.
7) Mind susceptible to intuitions of the "Beautiful"---(correlation with the R4 Taurus emphasis.)
8) Since Mercury is "mind-wisdom", and since Taurus is the sign especially associated with the Buddha, Mercury in Taurus is a position much associated with the reception and distribution of the Light of Wisdom.
9) This is a mind which can shed much light through speech.
10) Willfully, tenaciously holding to higher principles.
11) Aspirational mind, ever oriented to the Light. (cf. p. 332, EA)
12) The mind which can (at a very high stage of development) understand and receive to some extent the "unfettered enlightenment" of Shamballa. (Note, I am not distinguishing in these characteristics between the various 'levels' of mind, as Mercury has at least co-rulership of all of them.)
13. Mind with unusual access to the mathematical aspects of the Light of Pure Reason. R4 (the "ray of mathematical exactitude")
14) Likely with special facility for comprehending the geometry and structuralism of buddhi-manas.
15) A mind sensitive to detecting the light in substance, and which knows how to increase the illumination and radiation of substance.
16) Intuitions from the soul/Triad take into consideration the material structure of the personality. It is wisdom well-suited to the material plane. Right relations between soul and personality easier to achieve because of Taurean respect for the material plane. Wisdom gathered from the light of earthly experience.
17) A mind especially adapted to using the light of the intuition to detach from desire.
18) The transmission of light and vitality via the word (the pranically- charged word).
19) Brooding, ruminating, pondering mind---facilitating intuitive reception, at length.
20) The soul/personality conflict arising because of increased soul/personality communication centers around whether the personality owns and offers the treasures of soul wisdom and light or whether it owns and offers merely the treasures of personal experience.
21) The mind as an adept carrier of Spiritual Will (via Atma and the Jewel in the Lotus (Vulcan association).
The formulations above (very sketchy) are meant to be suggestive only. If time permitted me, I would go searching through the charts of really advanced people for Mercury in Aries and Mercury in Taurus positions.
For instance, I can report that Rene Descartes, brilliant R3 Soul philosopher and mathematician ("I think therefore, I am") had Mercury in the 30th degree of Aries (about 29.5). Albert Einstein (March, 14, 1979, time may be slightly disputed) had Mercury in 3+. Immanuel Kant, Apr 22,1 1724, R3 Philosopher (Mercury 21+ Aries)
Also, both David Hume and Bertrand Russell, well known materialistic and skeptical philosophers (Russell--also a great mathematician) had Mercury in Taurus (3 degrees+ for Russell, 22+ for Hume). More associated with our work, Jeddu Krishnamurti has Mercury in Taurus (28Taurus40).
Mercury in Taurus: The mind can function by analysis and by intuition. These two compliment each other, though a truly functioning intuition is rare, and even a good analysis is not so common. But Mercury here indicates the potential for intelligent synthesis. When intuition ignites the mind, thought is forged in rainbow tents of a creative fire, and a new spirit finds expression in the mind directed to beauty. The intuitive and the beautiful are as one perception. Thought and meditation are necessary to measure up to the potential of this placement, otherwise it remains unmanifest.
"I am the spark in the stone, the gleam of gold in metal." (Rumi)
"In the commerce of speech use only coin of gold and silver." (Joseph Joubert)
Mercury in Relation to Gemini - from the Tibetan
(EA 185). . . through the influence of Mercury. . . the conflict which is the distinguishing characteristic...of the human family can be instrumental in resolving dissonance into harmony.
(364) [In relation to Gemini] The effectiveness of Mercury is also enhanced in its interpretive aspect because the Gemini person can always find points of contact with people on nearly every ray.
(353) The orthodox ruler is Mercury who, as the Messenger of the Gods or the "divine Intermediary, carries messages between the poles with speed and light." In this most potent and important planet the idea of duality is again to be found, enhancing and enhanced by the influence of Gemini.
(354) In a peculiar way. . . Mercury increases in the Gemini subject the latent sense of duality in its various stages and also the sense of distinction, leading to that mental agility and that fluidity of mind which is one of the major assets as well as one of the major difficulties of this sign. This agility has, however, to be rightly understood and handled. When there is facility of mental approach in any direction and in connection with the many opposites in manifestation, you have the emergence of the divine Messenger in his true character, able to comprehend extremes and to relate them divinely to each other.
(365) Through the activity of Mercury, the man whose Sun is in Gemini is aided to attain the synthesis of soul and form.
Some Thoughts on the Esoteric Meaning of Mercury in Gemini
1. Shedding the light of intelligence
2. “facility of mental approach in any direction and in connection with the many opposites in manifestation”. Thus the mind easily links the many opposites
3. The mind establishes ‘brotherly love’ between the pairs of opposites soul and personality.
4. The mind which characterizes those who can be called the ‘Messenger of the soul’. The mind which makes it possible for the individual to speak with two voices the voice of the personality and the voice of the soul.
5. The mind which can establish a fluid and natural dialogue with the Soul on its own plane (or with the contents of the causal body). The dialogue is relatively easy and mutually responsive. Such ‘conversation’ becomes the means to illumination. There is, thus, a facile and frequent mental interplay between what has been called the “pair of opposites” (in this case, soul and personality).
6. The mind speaks the words of the soul. The fluid, verbal mind becomes an excellent verbal interpreter of that which is ‘spoken’ by the soul.
7. The mind which is competent to relate and synthesize aggregations of factors in the field of consciousness.
8. The mind which especially facilitates the development of “Pure Reason” or “Inclusive Reason” (concerning which, see Esoteric Psychology II [late 300s] under the “Techniques of Fusion”). This section on “Inclusive Reason” beautifully describes the intuition at its most ‘reasonable’.
9. Bridging (the ongoing building and utilization of the Antahkarana) occurs through constant and easy use of the ‘Bridge of Light’. There is much going ‘back and forth’, ‘up and down’ (figuratively speaking). The bridge is built through the frequency of use. Many ‘strands’ are created through many ‘trips’ over the so-called “gap in consciousness”. There is the ability to use the ‘intuitive elevator’ with adroitness.
10. The light shed on human situations via the intuition, is particularly the light of intelligence. Soul ‘messages’ are, to a great extent, intelligent. One quality of this light, is the light which reveals the relationships between all things.
11. The content of soul ‘messages’ ‘lightens’ the life of the personality. There can be an uplifting quality and many otherwise heavy conditions can be taken ‘lightly’.
12. The mind of the one who learns easily. The soul becomes the teacher and the personality the student, the learner. Actually, in this relationships, there is a facility of mutual rapport, and both learn from each other.
13. The mind which transforms adept intellect into intuition, thus moving from the apprehension of the many relations to a realization of the patterns which unite the many relations.
14. The mind which establishes right (or, at least, better) relations between soul and personality by keeping the channels of communication open and unobstructed.
15. The mind which reveals the ‘modes of unification’ characteristic of the Christ Energy. This would be Mercury in relation to the second ray which is transmitted through the constellation Gemini. Soul-light reveals unsuspected lines of unification existing between contents of consciousness (whether sensory or cognitive contents).
16. The capacity for intuitive ‘leaps’ pronounced; earlier evidences of this are tendencies towards discontinuity of thought.
17. Mental detachment facilitated through the perspective provided by humor.
18. Capable of understanding the nature and value of paradox, because of the capacity and tendency to entertain valuable but apparently contradictory thoughts.
The soul/personality conflict brought about by increased soul/personality communication centers around whether the personality is the messenger of the soul or a messenger of its own personality nature.
Phillip Lindsay: "Gemini forms a point of entrance for cosmic energy from Sirius" (EA349); Sirius represents the "fourth Path", therefore Mercury as ruler of the 4th ray has a direct resonance. Mercury is the direct emissary of our Solar Logos, who is an incarnation of the Sirian Logos.
Mercury ("that most occult planet") is Thoth, Hierophant of the Mysteries who escorts the candidate for initiation through the (Gemini) pillars of Jachin and Boaz. (Gemini governs the FC degree in Masonry - EA64)
Ray 2 (heart) is the only ray coming through Gemini (so far given by DK), hence Mercury as exoteric ruler is one of its most potent vehicles (more the wisdom than love aspect of ray 2), especially being on the "even" ray line.
The conflict inherent in one of the most dual signs of the zodiac, The Twins, is reflected by Mercury, ruler of the 4th ray of Harmony through Conflict. This links Mercury to some of its other rulerships Virgo (strong ray 2 and ray 4 via Moon), and Scorpio (ray 4) - both signs associated with heart unfoldment through service and sacrifice.
Mercury in Gemini is one half of the equation Hermaphrodite – Hermes (Mercury), Aphrodite (Venus). Venus as esoteric ruler of Gemini hints at the "divine marriage" of humanity, also ruled by Gemini, and the synthesis of the 4th and 5th kingdoms.
Venus is ruler of the 5th ray, hence resonates with cosmic Manas from Sirius (and perhaps expresses more the love aspect of ray 2), yet "Mercury is still more occult and mysterious than Venus." (EA663)
So, even though Mercury is exoteric ruler of Gemini, it still has a lot deeper implications. Consider also, for instance that "Mercury is the elder brother of the Earth" (EA663) - perhaps this relates to Mercury's influence via Earth's hierarchical rulership of Gemini.
Mercury in Gemini
Mercury here stimulates thought leading to intuitively apprehended wisdom. It develops both that quality of mind that perceives the parts and interrelations of a subject, and the subtle intuitive faculty which is conscious of the whole and can "reads between the lines" to the inner meanings of things. The position indicates a bridging, relating, and mediating faculty. It symbolizes illumination, the result of
intelligent bridge building between the higher and lower self. In developed souls it indicates a special clarity and quickness of perception, and is an indicator of a light-bringer, of one who reflects Mercury's mythology of "Messenger of the Gods." This Mercury-message is always rooted in the love and wisdom aspect of divinity, and so associated with healing and beauty.
"I was lifted high,
In sun-bright healing winds--desiring now A greater beauty..."
Mercury in Cancer
Some Thoughts on the Esoteric Meaning of Mercury in Cancer MDR:
1. Shedding the light which irradiates the form.
2. An unusually retentive mind; that which the mind receives from the soul it retains. (Since the Third Ray, partially ruling Cancer is the “Lord of Memory”).
3. Facility for thinking in relation to the Law of Economy.
4. A mind perhaps more ‘receiving’ from soul than dialoguing with soul. It may have the tendency to receive more than it penetrates. This type of mind may be considered relatively more passive to soul messages.
5. A mind which is a faithful reflector of all that transpires in the soul realms.
6. A mind which broods until intuitions occur.
7. A mental attitude of comprehensive, all-embracing receptivity. (Discrimination may be required).
8. Imagination is used particularly in the construction of the “Bridge of Light”. Imagination and fantasy lead to intuitive revelation. There will be an emphasis upon ‘anchoring’ the bridge within the personality.
9. The capacity to ‘give form’ to ‘that’ which travels ‘down’ the Antahkarana.
10. The mind which may have a tendency to ‘incarnate the light’ rather than penetrate into the abstract realm from which the light emanates. Whereas Mercury in Gemini is the ‘shuttle’ Mercury in Cancer receives, anchors and illuminates the form.
11. The mind may be peculiarly adept at receiving the energy of “Buddhi” (since Cancer is esoterically ruled by Neptune, a co-ruler of Buddhi). Mercury, itself, is a co-ruler of the buddhic plane, thus, this position emphasizes the receptive capacity in relation to Buddhi.
12. The mind with facility for understanding the astral nature (with which Cancer may also be associated).
13. The mind with facility for understanding the “mass mind”, and thus a mind useful in the task of spreading ‘enlightened spiritual propaganda’ and, consequently, influencing public opinion. This kind of influence was very much on the Tibetan’s mind.
14. The mind as interpreter of the four lunar elementals (i.e., of the personality and its states). Intuition reveals ‘dark’ or hidden areas within the form; intuition sheds its light to illuminate the form, revealing the ‘person’ to himself “in the light”.
15. The use of the Antahkarana as a means of ‘adding light’ to the “Lighted House” which Cancer labors to build. The light which eventually renders the form translucent.
16. The ‘in-corporator of the Light’.
17. A mind adept at divining subtle feelings and giving mental/verbal expression to such feelings.
18. A mind which is an illuminator of mental forms; a creator of light-filled mental constructs
19. A mind useful in revealing the mode of right embodiment of soul-design; the light from ‘above’ receives proper embodiment ‘below’
20. The mind which stimulates and nurtures the “dark light” within the form. This light becomes the ‘Illuminator of the Mass’, and the ‘Illuminator of the Masses”. There is a mental facility to build ‘lighted habitations’ as a service.
21. A mental process which is adept at bringing integration and fusion to the many aspects of self. We remember the mantram associated with the advanced Cancerian individual: “The Whole is seen as One”. Thus this is a mentality which is adept at ‘unifying the field’.
22. The intuitive process by means of which each person or individual becomes an ‘embodiment of the light’.
23. The mind which facilitates the establishment of right relations between soul and personality by assisting the personality to become a translucent reflector of the light.
24. The mind which brings the instinctual nature into the “light of day”.
25. A mind adept at appreciating or creating “feeling-toned thought”.
26. A mind adept at retrieving the reincarnational past; this would imply a special facility to tap the content of the “permanent atoms” as the repositories of memory.
27. The soul/personality conflict brought about the increased soul/personality communication centers around whether the personality is a true vessel for the embodiment of soul light. The “new wine” of soul influence can all too easily be poured into the “old bottle” of an unredeemed, opaque personality.
Mercury placed here is an open door whereby one may pass through any image to the soul of meaning. Cancer in this context is word, symbol, face, and form; while Mercury is the link to the world of light, and illuminates the archetypal reality veiled by nature. Thus, Mercury, "messenger of the Gods," illuminates the face of things, and the highest reaches of imagination bring the sensitive soul to the threshold of light. Then, meaning shines through, and all things become doors of illumination.
To incorporate this archetype into one's life, an educated response to symbol is essential, otherwise light does not penetrate the veil. About one-twelfth of all gorillas are born with this position, and though some may respond to light more than others, no one expects them to write treatises on illuminated philosophy, or poetry about luminous dreams. Access to meaning is individual, and depends on work and evolution.
"So long the city I desire to reach
Lay hid; when suddenly its spires afar
Flashed through the circling clouds; you may conceive my transport.
Soon the vapours closed again,
But I had seen the city..." (Robert Browning)
Illumination inspires creativity. It gives a voice and demands activity in accordance with fresh perception. Thus light takes a body in the mind and heart.
"What was any art but a mould in which to imprison for a moment the shining, elusive element which is life itself." (Willa Cather)
"The house of the Lord is to be built not of stone but of the spirit of song." (Oracle)
SYMBOLS: Voice of a shell. Sleeping beauty wakes.
Mercury in Leo
Mercury here indicates the individualized expression. Physical, intellectual, and spiritual light is the radiation of being—in human terms, independent expression born of intuition. The thinker penetrates to the world of meaning by focused thought. This position underscores intuition as the essence of the Self, of true identity. Real knowledge radiates from a central point which is the life of the Individual. So the developed soul with this position carries his own torch.
Song is "Somehow the very central essence of us... as if all the rest were but wrappings and hulls." (Thomas Carlyle)
Meditation is "...the blending of the primary color of the Higher Self with the secondary hue of the Lower Self until beauty is achieved." (Alice Bailey)
"...live in the lives of those about you, seek in them and in all things the beauty, the element of the Eternal, that they contain, and strive to love that beauty." (John Gerard)
"Never did eye see the sun unless it had first become sunlike, and never can the soul have vision of the First Beauty unless itself be beautiful" (Plotinus)
"...beyond the Beauty that is predicated of various forms and relationships, there is a pure Transcendent Beauty, and this is a mode of the very Being of the SELF. This Beauty is not something that is beautiful. It is Self-existent and casts its luster upon all things... Ecstasy is pure Beauty, as well as pure Joy and Knowledge." (Pathways Through to Space) (James Davis
(EA298) [Mercury in relation to Leo]. Leo, being the fifth sign of the zodiac, counting from Aries via Taurus, and also the eighth signs, counting from Aries via Pisces, is closely related through numerical affinity with Mercury, who is esoterically called “the Messenger at the ‘eighth gate’”; Mercury was active at the time of individualization when the “eighth gate” was opened and a major initiation of our planetary Logos took place, producing, in the human kingdom, the process of individualization.
(EA299) [Relating Mercury to Leo]
Sirius Leo Mercury Saturn
Spirit Soul Mind Brain
Life Quality Illumination Appearance
Inhalation Interlude Exhalation Interlude
Mercury in Leo: MDR
1. Shedding the light of identity.
2. The intuition which reveals the archetype of identity. Soul light reveals personal distinctness and the unique role to be played by the personality.
3. Messages from the soul are declarative and authoritative. Once humility has been achieved, there is not much need for the soul/personality dialogue. The communications from above come as a fiat.
4. Intuitive mind reveals the full blaze of soul light. The mind is uniquely the revealer and the illuminator.
5. Brilliance of mind which is a reflection of soul light. Mind receives light without obscuration.
6. The mind identified with the ahamkaric principle; the mind capable (through pure reason) of dispelling the illusion of the ahamkaric principle. “Ahamkara” the principle of ‘I-ness’.
7. Communications which dramatize identity. In the highest sense, the dramatization of the soul, the pure identity.
8. Mind expressing in full radiance the content of the causal body.
9. As with Mercury in Aries, authentic, creative thinking deriving from one’s own soul-source.
10. Eloquence in expression, revealing identity; all mental/verbal transmissions embody the Self. The individual thinks from self and speaks from self whichever self it may be.
11. Intelligently ‘channeling’ the soul.
12. The ‘shining’ “Bridge of Light”.
13. The soul/personality ‘dialogue’ is as if between two ‘authorities’ the authority of the lower self and the authority of the Higher Self.
14. In this particular sign, the idea that “Mercury and the Sun are one” may be fulfilled.
15. Identification of the mind with soul light is so strong, that the ‘gap’ to be bridged does not seem as wide. It is said that the gap is not a fact in reality though it is so in consciousness. The advanced individual with Mercury in Leo senses the unreality of the gap. A mental synthesis uniting the apparently separated points already seems to exist.
16. The bridging process leads to the Presence. Communications to the “King” (the Presence), the Monad. The ‘distance from the center’ is not perceived as great.
17. Mercury in Leo, is capable of establishing right relations between soul and personality by revealing the true nature of the higher Identity, of which the lower identity is intended to be a reflection.
18. The conveyer to the personality of Atma (the Spiritual Will of the Triad).
19. The mind which leads easily (when advanced) into states of Identification.
20. The soul/personality conflict brought about by increased soul/personality
communication centers around the issue of whether the personality is living as an example of soul-identity (Self) or personal-identity (self).
21. The power to ‘speak the name of the soul’. Mind as an agent of authenticity of identity.
22. Uniqueness of expression, bearing the stamp of individuality
23. Power to create luminous thoughtforms.
24. Etc., in a similar vein.
Mercury in Virgo
(EA281) Mercury is exalted in this sign because the mother is necessarily ruled by her son, the Son of Mind who is also the Son of God. Of this son, she is the protector and is responsible for his development and slowly acquired experience. Mercury, being the Messenger of the Gods and the Agent of Their applied control, is therefore the agent of the third aspect (active intelligence) from one point of view, and of the second aspect (love-wisdom) from another. He is regarded as embodying in himself both these aspects of the mental principles, the expression of the concrete and the abstract mind of God. The lower concrete mind was unfolded in the first solar system and the higher abstract intuitional mind, the pure reason, is unfolding in this system. Mercury is the synthesis of manas-buddhi, mind-wisdom which expresses itself through the human soul; Mercury rules the bridge or antahkarana.
(EA549) [Mercury] is also the exoteric rulers of Virgo, the Mother of the Christ-Child, or the form and that which indwells the form.
(EA281) Mercury is exalted in Virgo. In Virgo, Mercury reaches his full power, for Virgo is intelligence, and the hidden Christ is wisdom or pure reason”.
Mercury in Virgo: MDR
1. Shedding the light of ‘correction’.
2. The mind “preparing the way” for the Christ Consciousness.
3. The cherishing and nurturing of thoughtforms: careful ‘brooding’
4. Inclines the mind to the interpretation of life in terms of material preparedness.
5. The intuition illumines the field of form.
6. The intuition reveals imperfections within the form. The mind discerns the flaws which will thwart the growth of spiritual energy.
7. The ‘messages’ from the soul seem to be critical and relate to the improvements which must be undertaken in the world of form, if form is to give birth to the Christ (soul consciousness).
8. The soul/personality dialogue relates to the theme of what must be done to become a better servant. The intuition reveals the ‘fine points’ of the art of practical service to the soul and to humanity.
9. Expertise in the art of “critical thinking’, detecting flaws in the process of reason, flaws as impediments to the process of “pure reason”.
10. The light brought from soul might be called the “light of preparation” discriminatively preparing the fields of form for the manifestation of the Son of Mind.
11. Just as the Fourth Ray Lord is called, the “Corrector of the Form,” so Mercury (distributing the fourth ray) when in Virgo, is particularly the Corrector of the Form.
12. Helps to establish right relations between soul and personality by illuminating where personal improvement is needed.
13. The Son becomes the ‘critic’ of the Mother.
14. The mind which discriminates in order to determine the fitness of the form.
15. The Antahkarana is built with precision and technical correctness. The ‘strands’ of the Antahkarana are constructed discriminatively and meticulously.
16. The mind reveals the areas within the personality fields which must be ‘cleaned’ and purified for the soul to properly manifest.
17. The mind reveals the ways of humility, the ways of humble preparation.
18. The mind attuned to the ways of the deva kingdom; facilitation of communication with the devas (angels), ruled by Virgo and Pleiades.
19. Mind adept at the processes of meditation. (Virgo rules meditation in the sequence: Concentration, Meditation, Contemplation, Illumination, Inspiration, Initiation, Identification.
20. Excellence in the structuring of thoughtforms.
21. Facility with the grammar and syntax of thought.
22. The “Son of Mind” as mental ‘task-master’.
23. The soul/personality conflict generated by soul/personality communication centers around the issue of personal fitness, personal worthiness.
Phillip Lindsay: The God of Speech is Hermes, or Mercury, who is also an agent of discrimination. Mercury-ruled Virgo is the sign associated with the mental discriminative processes and her shadow is criticality.
To "discriminate" is to distinguish between what is "wheat" (Virgo) and "chaff", sorting the true from the untrue, essence from form, the useful from the useless. Virgo is associated closely with the process of meditation (EA228) - using "seed" thoughts.
To digest (Virgo - lower intestines) "wheat" (thoughtforms) is to exercise the discriminative faculty. Loving speech is one result of success in this process.
Verbal reaction to reflected (lunar) impressions, (Mercury in Gemini?) doesn't allow impression of consciousness to be filtered by the discriminating faculty, and be absorbed, digested and integrated (Virgo) into the mental processes, so that we can respond in a considered, balanced way.
"Reflection" is contemplation, governed by Libra (EA228), who has weighed and balanced the harvest (of thought) from Virgo.
By reacting, there is immediate gratification through verbal expression, but only superficial understanding (Gemini). Virgo's cultivated reticence or modesty allows "impressions" to be nurtured within the silent womb (Virgo) of right thought. Perhaps this relates to Virgo "working behind the scenes".
Waste products of this process must also be released so as to avoid mental "constipation", or at the other extreme, verbal diahorrea. Virgo governs the lower intestines that are closely related to these processes.
Hence Mercury in Virgo is also Aesceplius, the great Healer, and the Caduceus his symbol. The one who presides over the integration (integrity) of the three-fold form, vehicle of the soul:
At a physical level through right nutrition and digestion; at an emotional level through controlled and balanced emotion; at a mental level by refining the mind through a developing discrimination. (EA254 - Eve, Isis, Mary)
Mercury in Virgo is a powerful expression of the 2nd ray of "meticulous entirety", one of the two rays that come through this sign. Exoteric and esoteric scientific research is highly suited to its temperament. Perhaps Mercury's (monadic ?) ray 5 expression also comes through here.
Mercury in Virgo stimulates the Virgoan Muse to great poetic, lyrical and creative written expression generally. The 4th ray is working here, as well as the 3rd ray, Mercury's personality aspect.
Mercury in Virgo, with the right souls, may act as a messenger between the deva and human evolutions, for the deliberate purposes of human contact and learning about the building of all forms - plants, thoughtforms, planets etc.
Mercury in Libra
1. Ajna and Spiritual Triad connection. Mercury rules the ajna center in the advancing disciple, and the ajna center is that center through which the Spiritual Triad works at an advanced stage of evolution probably following the third degree. Thus, Mercury in Libra gives a special facility in the use of the abstract mind, often found in the mathematical mind (especially higher mathematics). This would be a mind well suited to discovering the abstract equations inherent in Nature.
2. A mind suited to an understanding of Occult Law
3. The major ray given for Mercury is R4, but I suggest that R3 and R5 are also prominent. With the R3 transmitted through Libra, there would be (if my ray assessment is correct) an emphasis upon R3.
4. A mind useful in unraveling karmic intricacies.
5. The ‘Word’ which is Law. Great statements which enunciate Divine Law, such as the “Golden Rule”.
6. Shedding the ‘light of cooperation’.
7. ‘Just-mindedness’; a mental process which intuitively strives to avoids excess, though, at first, the scales may tip wildly in the effort.
8. The mental process which reveals the narrow, razor-edged Path between the Pairs of Opposites the “Path of the Just”; this (on a lower turn of the spiral) is the Path of thoughts and actions which are neither entirely of the soul nor entirely of the personality, but represent a partnership between them.
9. On a higher turn of the spiral, the “Path of the Just, which shineth ever more unto the Perfect Day”, is the Path leading to Shamballa, which Libra, in a sense rules, since Shamballa is the “City of Peace”. Thus Mercury in Libra can be associated with the antahkarana when considering it as the Pathway to Shamballa. Clearly, one must know Occult Law in order to treat that Path.
10. Mercury in Libra intuitively reveals the “Golden Mean” which must determine relations between the “Pairs of Opposites”. (For practical purposes, the “Pairs of Opposites” can be considered, in this context, as the soul and personality.
11. The intuition preserves the balance between the male and female aspects of divinity; the soul is ‘male’ or positive to the personality, which is receptive or female. The soul also has its male and female parts, as does the personal human psyche. Mercury in Libra inclines one to be mindful to preserve the balance between the poles. In another way, the intelligent ‘uniter of poles’, or, colloquially, ‘match-maker’ between the poles.
12. The healing mind, in this sense that it understands the causes of the disharmony which creates ‘dis-ease’. Thus is knows the ways of reestablishing ‘right energy flow’.
13. ‘Karmic-mind’, foreseeing consequences of actions at many removes from the origin of action.
14. In general, the capacity for tact and foresight.
15. ‘Probabilistic mind’: facility for “weighing the odds”.
16. Since Libra rules “Supermind”, we see Mercury in Libra as the representative of Triadal Mind, or pure manas (easily associated with Saturn if the three synthesizing planets be linked to atma-buddhi-manas).
17. One can imagine a mind well suited at dealing with the Third Aspect of Divinity (Libra, R3); Mercury, considered to ruler commerce and exchange would function successfully in relation to the Law of Economy. Also, the mind functioning in relation to Law, Sex and Money (the three aspects over which Libra presides).
18. The intuition reveals that which is needed to create satisfaction and agreement between the two parties, soul and personality. Expert in the art of spiritual negotiation.
19. Mercury in Libra intuitively reveals the results of the consultation between soul and personality. When facing difficulties or decisions, soul and personality consult, mediation ensues, and thus the two ‘opposites’ can work cooperatively together. Thus, a mind which knows the ways of “righteous compromise”. A ‘deal is cut’ between soul and personality. This is all changed in Scorpio, where the soul must prevail at all costs.
20. The ‘messages from the soul’ pertain to the creation of right relations between soul and personality, and right relations between the personality and other personalities.
21. The Law of Magnetic Impulse is also called the “Law of Polar Union”, its symbol being the Triangle. It is Mercury symbolically, and perhaps actually/subtly which creates the links between the three triangles in the head of the soul-infused disciple.
22. Mercury in Libra: facilitation in the equilibrisation of the chakras; linking the ‘gods’ in a balanced manner.
23. The soul/personality dialogue focuses upon what each partner brings to the “marriage in the heavens”; grievances and infringements against equality are presented until correct, mutual adjustment is reached. The dialogue addresses the issue of whether each partner will have its due whether the rights of each will be preserved.
24. The mind as the judge of spiritual values; perhaps someone knows the role of Thoth (Mercury) in the ‘weighing’ of the soul of the defunct.
25. The light transmitted from the soul inclines towards the interpretation of experience according to the principles of justice and equal rights under the law.
26. The sane mind of the true disciple who lives a live of “sanctified normality” characterized by a “balanced point of view”.
27. The relationship between the partners (or Pair of Opposites) must be ruled by law; each partner has its rights under the law, and these rights are not to be infringed. The mind of judgment reveals what pertains to each and what are the prerogatives of each.
28. A facility for understanding Beauty as Truth.
29. Taoistic Mind, comfortable with ambiguity and paradox.
30. Facility with mental relativism.
31. The Bridge of Light (antahkarana) is build through mutual attentiveness and cooperation; no unevenness of effort is found; balance and right proportion are found in the construction.
32. Facility in the balancing of Invocation and Evocation.
33. Etc., as the associations occur to you. . . .
In all the above, Mercury is frequently considered the “mind”, but Venus cannot be ignored in any complete consideration of mental function; Saturn and Uranus as well, have their roles to play, and even Mars and the Moon can be linked.
We must remember that Mercury is associated with “Mind-Wisdom” and Venus with “Love-Wisdom.
Mercury in Libra
Under this correspondence the evolving mind begins to respond to the archetype of beauty, which eventually makes itself felt as a sense of harmonious proportion or arrangement of parts or elements.
Thought and intuition function more fully as the power and means of decision. In the developed soul it is the creative intelligence that selects and adapts with the aid of intuitive perception. This means choice is, or should be, governed by intelligence, harmony, and beauty. The concept of Beauty appeals to intuition because both words pertain to the same world of meaning. The practical consequences of higher response to this energy lead to refinement of language, harmony in relationships, and an illuminated sense of law, pattern, and purpose.
Mercury here links and fuses separate entities. Beauty is perceptible in the exterior world because of it speaks to its correspondence in the interior world. So beauty, spiritually considered, is the bridge between the subjective and objective nature. Ultimately, the "other" (person or object) becomes alive with unearthly beauty. Thus beauty acts as a force of unification, fusing "I" and "other" in unity.
Mercury in Scorpio
(EA360) [Mercury in relation to Scorpio] The influence of Mercury as it relates Scorpio and Gemini is to inaugurate that final stage in consciousness which will place the soul within the form surely in the place of power, swinging the earlier achieved balance and control definitely into the realm of the soul. It is this which, in the Scorpio experience, produces the terrific experience of the disciple and which, at this time, is one of the predisposing causes of the present world conflict.
(EA228) [Suggesting Mercury in relation to Scorpio] Scorpio Illumination the soul triumphs. Experience in Taurus consummated. Astral glamour dissipated. Soul light pours in. The path of Discipleship. The Disciple.
(EA180) [Suggesting Mercury in relation to Scorpio] In Scorpio the mind is released into full governing activity. This release takes place in two stages:
Stage 1 - Wherein the intellect becomes dominant and powerful and controls eventually the emotional nature.
Stage 2 - Wherein the intellect is illumined by the light of the soul.
The emphasis is laid upon the struggle of the personality to release itself from the grip of lower desire in the first case, and in the second to release itself from the surrounding world glamour which is revealed when soul light is thrown into it, via the reflecting and illumined mind. In Stage 1, the power of the trained reasoning and rationalizing mind is called into activity by the soul; in the other, the illumination of the soul must pour into the mind and is then reflected, like a searchlight, onto the astral plane. This takes place upon the Probationary Path and is called the experience of the disciple in the depths of the valleys.
(EA192) [Mercury in relation to Scorpio] . . . the power of the mind, having been developed, tested and found true in the sign Scorpio...
Mercury in Scorpio: MDR:
1. Ruler of the Fourth Creative Hierarchy (the Human). Cf. Esoteric Astrology, p. 34-35.
2. Conveying the power of Mantrikashakti. Ibid.
3. The Spirit (Human Monad) descends into ‘Hell’ (Scorpio) through sacrifice.
4. The power of the fourth ray strongly accentuated: Mercury R4 and Scorpio R4.
5. Shedding the light which shines in the depths.
6. Inclines to the interpretation of life in terms of eliminating obstacles.
7. The thought process ferrets-out all subterranean obstacles to transformation. Hence psycho-analytic mind, or exorcistic mind. As well, ‘detective’s mind’, applied in its occult connotation.
8. Intuitive illumination upon the Mysteries of Initiation. In general, the mind used to unveil and reveal mysteries.
9. The mind which unifies the conflicting ‘Dualities’ (only, of course, after the conflict has been intensified. We have Mercury the “Star of Conflict” expressing through the sign in which the ‘Dualities’ “fight to the death”.
10. Intuitions which reveal the Way of Sublimation, the way which transcends the battle between the warring poles.
11. Intuitions reveal essences.
12. In Scorpio the mind is empowered, as discussed above, EA 180. This must be especially so when Mercury is placed in this sign.
13. The release of the intuition arising from successful alchemical transformation. After the “death of the personality” (beginning with the second initiation) one can truly think.
14. The intuition which brings all that is hidden to light, whether in the psyche, in science or society, etc. The light which brings all into the “Light of Day” (the kind of “Light” associated with the sign Scorpio cf. EA, p. 330.)
15. Hence, the mental ability to bring light to the darkest places whether in self or others.
16. Hence, ‘Occult Mind’. The planet of Occultism, Uranus, is exalted in this sign, and Uranus is said to be the “higher octave” of Mercury.
17. The soul/personality dialogue relates to the theme of what factors within the personality must ‘die’ if the soul is to ‘live’.
18. The messages borne from soul thus relate to necessary eradications.
19. The uncompromising Word of the Soul demanding sacrifice; the “Word of Death”. Let us bear in mind that the Law of Sacrifice is ruled by R4, and hence must have a strong resonance to both Mercury and Scorpio (especially when combined). The Monad, from one perspective, can be considered a “Lord of Persevering, Ceaseless Devotion”, coming forth upon a sacrificial mission of redemption. Both Venus and Mercury are sacrificially related to the Earth.
20. The mental process which can reveal all obstacles to the bridging process; the mind which penetrates into the secret and unknown areas, including those areas of consciousness associated with the bridging process; transmutation must always precede successful bridging.
21. The mental process relating to the rising of Kundalini. Mercury is often associated with the center at the base of the spine; Mercury is the Caduceus; Scorpio is always associated with the “Serpent” and the “Serpent Fire”. The rising of Kundalini is a purgation, a burning ground (and an ultimate synthesis over which Mercury also rules). Kundalini is activated by thought, and this activation originates within the ajna center, and is directed therefrom. Mercury rules the ajna center at advanced stages.
22. The soul/personality dialogue centers upon the demand of the soul for necessary detachments and eradications, and the willingness or non-willingness of the personality to comply.
23. The soul/personality conflict generated by increased soul/personality communication centers around the issue of whether the personality will sacrifice that which the intuition indicates must be sacrificed so the soul may be victorious and dominate.
24. The mind as the slayer of (the ‘serpent’ of) illusion.
25. Truth as ‘destroyer’.
26. In the Antahkarana Process, the capacity to build a very intense “point of tension” prior to visualization and projection.
27. In the process of Concentration, Meditation, Contemplation, Illumination, Inspiration, Initiation, Identification Mercury in Scorpio would be associated, especially, with Illumination.
28. Depth of capacity for “Spiritual Reading”; decoding the encrypted ‘messages of Nature’.
29. The mind as a consecrated ‘triadal tool’ in the wielding of the Law of Repulse. See Esoteric Psychology II, under Laws of the Soul, around the 160s. The Law of Repulse is possible only for those who are mentally polarized. This Law of the Soul is the first of three Laws originating from the Spiritual Triad.
30. The servant of the buddhic plane. Both Mercury (R4) and Scorpio (R4) are resonantly related to the plane of intuition, the buddhic plane (plane #4).
31. The mind which discriminates between the ‘living’ and the ‘dead’. Spiritual ‘pathology’. Real Life only begins upon the buddhic plane (the first cosmic ether).
32. Special capacity for building the second part of the Antahkarana that which unites the mental unit with the buddhic plane.
33. Capacity to shed the light of mind into the field of glamour, hence very useful in the destruction of glamour.
34. Etc. As associations and experience indicate to you. . . .
Mercury is in deep resonance with Scorpio. For those who live up to it, this placement stimulates expression of the highest potentials of the sign.
Mercury is the light of the conqueror, and in this connection is indicator of success in the struggle for illumination. It inspires sacrifice and battle in a good cause. It is a sign of subtle spiritual testing and symbolizes obstacles that prove illuminating.
"Let us not fear testings, for we shall be strengthened by them. Blessed are the obstacles... Everything is tested, all worlds are on trial. This is not cause for terror, but a source of broadening the consciousness, a key to vigor and success." (The Invincible, Nicholas Roerich)
"In the cross is hidden light." (The Rays and Initiations)
Mercury here signifies the possibility of mystical perception and transcendental Beauty. It presses the aspiring soul toward expression of harmony and beauty.
"A deeper transport and a mightier thrill,
Than comes of commerce with mortality." (Tennyson)
The soul responds to the principle of beauty inherent in all contrast, and the mystic voice is evoked by intense experience of spiritual and material life.
"Who in this mortal life would see,
The light that is beyond all lght,
Beholds it best by fairing forth,
Within the darkness of the Night." (Johann Scheffler)
This position might be termed "the spirit of music." At the same time, it illuminates the nature of desire and of what the Christians have sought to understand under the term "temptation." The argonauts were able to resist the sirens, because Orpheus was with them, and his song was sweeter than theirs.
"Go deep enough, there is music everywhere." (Carlyle)
"Light carries the depth of the soul by storm.
Music holds it till the end." (Oracle)
SYMBOLS: The sign of infinity.
The Eagle who, in mythology, conducted souls to immortality. A cross of light. A storm of light. The crown of thorns becomes the aureole of light.
Mercury in Sagittarius
Mercury in Relation to Sagittarius [from the Tibetan]
(191) [Mercury in relation to Sagittarius] It is interesting to note that not planet is exalted in Sagittarius and that no planet falls in this sign. Only one things happens and that is that the power of Mercury is greatly lessened. [Parenthetically, we might ask what happens when Mercury retreats from its usual functioning, and is elevated to a superior kind of functioning. Since Sagittarius is one of the ‘intuitive’ signs, the power of the abstract mind and of the intuition can be accentuated with this placement. Thus, it would be only the concrete functioning of Mercury which would be lessened in Sagittarius. Its higher, of more triadal functions would be enhanced. Of course, non-esoterically, a haphazard and disconnected thoughts process may result. But, esoterically, for a highly developed individual, penetration into the “Mind of God” [triadally considered] is a strong possibility. This would be an excellent position for a mathematician or esoteric theorist.]
(191-192) [Mercury in relation to Sagittarius] Mercury, which is the expression of the fourth ray and also the God of the mental processes, has his power definitely lessened in this sign and this for two reasons, esoterically speaking.
First, the disciple has definitely to cease identifying himself with either his own human personality and processes or with the human kingdom, prior to taking initiation. His emphasis is, for the future, to be upon the spiritual soul and the fifth kingdom in nature; in Sagittarius he begins to express this first stage. This involves a complete withdrawal, in the personality sense, from the form side of life. This again entails (at a certain point of crisis) a point of balance.
Secondly, the power of the mind, having been developed, tested and found true in the sign Scorpio, begins to wane in its activity and the intuition begins to take its place. This is essential before the sign Capricorn is entered by the disciple and preparation for initiation begins.
(369) In Sagittarius, the dualism of Mercury as it expresses itself in the lower-higher mind is transcended by the universal or spiritual mind. More than this hint is not at this time possible. [The relationship between Jupiter and Gemini should here be compared, as this combination indicates the union of spirit with soul. Aquarius, of the three air signs, has also been associated with the “universal mind” and Libra with “super-mind”.
(180) [Mercury in relation to Sagittarius] In Sagittarius, the intellect which has been developed, used and finally illumined, becomes sensitive to a still higher type of mental experience, and to this we give the name of intuitive perception. There come flashes of light upon problems; a distant yet possible vision of attainment is seen; the man begins to climb out of the depths to which he has descended in Scorpio and sees ahead of him the mountain of Capricorn which he knows he must climb. He walks no longer in the dark, for he sees what he has to do and he therefore makes rapid progress and travels “fast upon the Way.” He “flies from point to point, searching for the arrows which he has discharged.” He has, figuratively speaking, to dismount constantly from his white horse (the developed and purified personality) and find where the arrows of intuitional aspiration will take him; he travels on the “wings of the soul” (note the relationship to the winged feet of Mercury, the messenger of the Gods) and becomes, in his own personality, the winged God:
MDR (In offering these thoughts, I do not mention the many possible orthodox interpretations of the planet Mercury in this sign.)
1. Mercury in Sagittarius accentuates the higher manas.
2. Thought the planet is said to be “in detriment” in this sign, the abstract mind is emphasized. In a way, Mercury is free from its lower limitations, just as, when it “falls” (according to the Tibetan, speaking of the “falls” of planets) is “falls away” from its lower expressions.
3. Highly intuitive mind; intuitive reception of pure truth, often in symbolic form. Thus, a mind which divines much through higher ‘symbolic reading’ (like spiritual reading of the more abstract kind).
4. A mind which know ‘where to look’ for the ‘Treasure of the Heavens’.
5. A mind proficient in the apprehension of abstract pattern; suited to the higher mathematics and abstract philosophy.
6. The mind which “hits the mark” without cogitation; “straight-knowledge”. Thus, a mind useful in discerning the salient
7. The one pointed thought which must, at some point, characterize the “one- pointed disciple” which Sagittarius rules
8. Impassioned mind, formed by the union of R6 (major ray passing through Sagittarius) and Mercurian propensities towards communication.
9. Visionary mind; ideal for grasping the large scope of the Divine Plan.
10. Thus, shedding the light which illuminates the ‘distant horizons’.
11. Inclines towards the interpretation of life in terms of goals, objectives and the motivation necessary to reach them.
12. The soul/personality dialogue relates to the theme of whether the personality will follow the vision indicated by the soul.
13. The messages borne from the soul are like “arrows of light” illuminating the darkness of lower mind.
14. Antahkaranic bridging is a natural activity; the inclination of the mind is always to “leap the gap”; careful building, and regular, sequential use are less likely.
15. Aspiration as an aid to illumination.
16. This type of mind is associated with “Inspiration” in the Concentration, Meditation, Contemplation, Illumination, Inspiration, Initiation, Identification process.
17. A mind important in understanding the difference between Idea, Ideal and Idol.
18. Aids in the process of relating soul and personality by presenting a vision which will motivate the personality, elevating its forces aspirationally, and rendering personality forces one-pointed.
19. The soul/personality dialogue centers upon the theme of the possible vision, and whether or not the personality sees the same vision seen by the soul. The dialogue is not carried on through normal conversation, but through flashes, and ‘sendings’.
20. The soul/personality conflict generated by increased soul/personality communication centers upon the issue of direction.
21. The rays of Sagittarius, 4, 5, 6 can be combined with Mercury and its rays 4, (and I hypothesize 3 and 5) to yield various reinforcements and other blends.
22. Etc., as indicated to you.
Mercury in Capricorn
(435-6) [Capricorn and Mercury in relation-
a. Capricorn connotes density, firm foundations, concretisation, the mountain of karma that holds down the struggling soul or the mountain of initiation which must eventually be climbed and surmounted. It signifies, therefore, the great force of liberation which both drives into experience and brings experience to an end, from the angle of humanity. This is the major stream of force in this particular triangle at this time.
b. Mercury brings in that quick and intuitive mind which interprets experience, fosters the growth of the intuition and relates the inner spiritual man to the outer human being in such a way that their future unity of purpose, plan and effort is assured. Mercury brings about those changes in mental perception which eventually enable humanity to act as the mediating interpreter between the higher worlds and the three lower kingdoms in nature.
(436-7) [Mercury in relation to Capricorn]: In this particular world cycle it is Capricorn which is producing a moment of crisis - a crisis of initiation plus a crisis of destruction (related primarily to the mineral kingdom) paralleled by a crisis of mental perception, precipitated by Mercury. It is this mental perception plus world participation in the “crumbling of the mountain load of karma” which heralds the vision of the new day from the top of the mountain.
Here in pictorial language I have endeavored to indicate the three streams of energy which meet in the centre called Humanity, involving therefore:
1. The active intelligence of man, latent in the human centre.
2. The initiatory activity of Capricorn.
3. The illuminating radiance of Mercury.
This combination of energies produces a triplicity of activity of supreme importance today.
Mercury in Capricorn
MDR: (In offering these thoughts, I do not mention the many possible orthodox interpretations of the planet Mercury in this sign.)
1. Shedding the “light supernal” the light of the “mountain-top of revelation”. Soul light shed on circumstances is intense. The light which reveals life upon the summits.
2. The “clear cold light”.
3. Practical initiatory intuition.
4. Intuition as the servant of a growing synthesis of mind. Capricorn conveys ‘synthetic vision’. Mercury in Capricorn is the mind which sees from the perspective of the synthesis revealed at the acme.
5. Messages from soul to brain reveal what must be done to put one’s foot upon the “Mountain of Karma”, and thus ascend.
6. The mind which intuitively receives the Law (though, from my perspective, Moses, who was an Aries [says D.K., speaking of Mohammed as of the same sign] was more likely to have had Mercury in Aries). There are some similarities between these two positions in relation to the Law.
7. Profound thinking leading to the acquisition of power.
8. Serious thoughts which eliminates the non-essential in the spiritual quest.
9. Great ability to think in terms of the Law of Economy as well as the Law of Synthesis. Probably, less ability to think in terms of the Law of Attraction.
10. Mastery of the knowledge content necessary for the next initiation.
11. The intuition required to know what is need in terms of the next initiation. The mind to divine the next necessary “hint” (as D.K. discusses the subject of “hints” in DINA II).
12. Organized thinking which keys into the spiritual ‘Power Structure”.
13. Power to receive communications from Hierarchy (the spiritual ‘Power Structure’).
14. Ability to structure one’s thought life in conformity to ashramic thinking.
15. Special capacity to understand the structure and timing of the Divine Plan.
16. Capacity to imbue thought with Divine Purpose and Divine Plan.
17. Thought process in one sense very abstract because dealing with light- supernal: but in another sense very concrete, because concerned with the practical application of supernal light.
18. Facility with ‘structured holistic thinking’, i.e., ‘hierarchical thinking’. Discerning the natural hierarchicalisation of life within Cosmos.
19. Intuitively revealing the vision as seen from the state of initiate consciousness.
20. Intuitively revealing the steps which lead to spiritual power.
21. Inclines towards the interpretation of life in terms of transcendent achievement.
22. The voice of the soul as the voice of conscience.
23. A mind given to spiritual pragmatism.
24. A capacity for the apprehension of spiritual will. The mind as a representative of atma.
25. A mind capable of fathoming seed principles.
26. A mind capable of ordering thought into perfect crystals of thought (as Morya uses the word “crystal”.
27. Strong stimulation of the head center possible, as is the case with Mercury in Aries.
28. Mediation leads to the state of “Diamond Soul”; thought simulated by streams from the “Jewel in the Lotus”. There are said to be eight such streams, and Mercury is the “Guardian of the Eighth Gate” and is much associated with the number eight.
29. The dialogue between soul and personality revolves upon the theme of law, conscience and karma. Can the personality live up to the law of its highest conscience? Is the vision of possible achievement too demanding?
30. A thought process inclined towards the completion and utilization of the Antahkarana; it becomes a much utilized avenue into initiatory realms. The ‘Bridge of Light” becomes very firmly structured through orderly, repetitive use; a solid, crystallized construct.
31. Mercury in Capricorn aids in the promotion of right relations between soul and personality by conveying “peak-experiences” to the mind. Thought and ideas which convey spiritual power to the personality.
32. In relation to this combination, one can begin to understand the statement that “Mercury and the Sun are one”; all “Sun-gods” who are “Lords of the Mind” are said to be born in Capricorn.
33. Etc., as indicated to you.
Mercury in Aquarius
(218) [Suggesting a relationship between Mercury and Aquarius] Scorpio and Aquarius are also in a peculiar relation to each other through the planet Mercury which governs the human family (being the hierarchical planet in Scorpio).
Mercury in Aquarius according to MDR
1. The light of the “universal mind”
2. Shedding abroad [as Mercury does] “The Light that shines on Earth, across the sea. This is the light which ever shines within the dark and cleansing with its healing rays that which must be purified until the dark has gone”.
We are here discussing a light as it is associated with Aquarius. With Mercury in this sign there would be a mental understanding of this light, and a capacity to distribute this light through the power of thought.
3. Shedding the light of the group soul; conveying illumination from the ashramic group; illumination which conveys the multiple benefits of the group to which the soul is related; i.e., tapping with relative ease the ashramic mind.
4. The power of mental telepathy, of both the vertical and horizontal kind.
5. The capacity to tap the “psychic gift waves”; definite capacity to access the “Raincloud of Knowable Things”.
6. Thought realized as a definite act of service to the group.
7. Intuitions with definite group applications.
8. To think in accordance with and to speak for the Ashram and the group.
9. Progressive, futuristic mind.
10. Capacity to distribute thought far and wide.
11. Unusual capacity for mental synthesis.
12. Mind with a grasp upon simultaneity (conferred by Uranus); thus, could we imagine the capacity to think in terms of the “Eternal Now”?
13. Since Mercury is associated powerfully with the number five (cf. TCF, p.373), and since Aquarius is a major distributor of R5 energy, this combination could strongly convey fifth ray capacity.
14. Marked capacity to conceive of inventive solutions.
15. Distinct capacity to influence the etheric body (ruled in part by Aquarius) through the power of thought. Enhancing etheric radiation through the power of thought.
16. The mind as an instrument of service in subtle healing.
17. Mind distinctly capable of studying human nature.
18. Strong relation to the “synthesis tier of petals” in the causal body. Relation to the unfoldment of the synthesizing knowledge petal, but, perhaps, also, to the synthesizing love petal.
19. Capacity to fathom the depths of matter through the power of thought. (The lowest of the twelve Creative Hierarchies is ruled by Aquarius).
20. The use in service of the constructed antahkarana. For the advanced individual with Mercury in Aquarius, “Mercury and the Sun are One”. “Life More Abundantly” pours ‘down’ across the “Bridge of Light”.
21. Intelligent distribution of the contents of the ‘causal treasury’.
22. In synthesis, the capacity to access the united thought of all seven Ashrams. Aquarius is associated with the entire spectrum of color, considered as a whole; i.e., with the “coat of many colors”.
23. Thinking and speaking in the ‘universal language’, common to all human beings.
24. The soul/personality dialogue focuses upon whether the personality is fit to accept the ‘abundant riches’ in possession of the soul. Can the personality become the “overflowing cup”, receiving a steady stream of abundance from the soul?
25. The soul/personality conflict generated by increased soul/personality communication centers upon the issue of how the personality may think with living, panoramic mind.
26. The messages carried from soul to personality have an inclusive and highly impersonal note. Thought from an encompassing perspective militates against the taint of personalism.
27. ‘Lightning-like’ intuitions; the carrier of ‘charged’ thoughtforms; the conveyer of ‘mental electricity’
28. The mind which thinks and speaks the ‘archetype’; hence, highly ‘original’ mind in the sense that an ‘original mind’ accesses the archetypal source
29. Thoughtforms have distinct ‘fixity’; also, they are pervaded by the power of ‘solution’.
30. Omni-directional mind, capable of thinking and ‘seeing’ with the multiple perspectives of the group.
31. Etc., as indicated to you.
Mercury in Pisces
(131) [Mercury in relation to Pisces] . . . when we find that the power of Mercury is lessened in Pisces and that it finally “falls” in that sign, what is the esoteric and spiritual meaning? Simply, that after the stage of initiation in Capricorn, as the result of the reversal of the wheel and the consequent experiences, and after the triumph of Scorpio, the power of the mind steadily lessens till finally (like other aspects of form life in the three worlds) it comes to an end and its mediating and illuminating aspects between soul and physical brain are no longer required. The man, coming definitely into full soul consciousness, requires now no mediator but deals directly himself with his emanating source. Mercury is then met with again under another name, this time as the Sun, mediating between the higher aspects soul and spirit for Mercury and the Sun are One.”
Mercury in Pisces according to MDR
1. Shedding the light which saves by ending all darkness. Of the Light characteristic of Pisces, D.K. says: “The Light of the World. This is the light, revealing the light of life itself. It ends forever the darkness of matter”.
2. Yet, the mind which can fathom the dark as that which is greater than the light. Penetrating cognitively into the “dark light” of Shamballa, and Its inscrutable Will.
3. The complete “falling away from” the concrete functioning of Mercury.
4. Straight knowledge through a highly sensitized capacity to be impressed; knowledge received without access to word or utterance.
5. The mind which deeply knows the hopeless limitations of words. Thus, the mind which knows more than it can ever speak, or even think.
6. The mind easily “over-shadowed” or “over-lighted”.
7. Pictorial-symbolic mind; fecund imagery, embodying the intuition. “A picture’s worth a thousand words”.
8. The silence of a realized synthesis.
9. The ‘mediumistic mind’; the ‘photographic’ recipient of higher impression.
10. The mind of the “mediator”, translating the content of the “arupa” or formless levels of life into the “rupa” or more ‘concrete’ levels.
11. The mind which accesses and thus knows the “Will of the Father”. Mine standing as sacrificial to the Will.
12. ‘Poetic’ mind. Fusing word and image in supra-rational combination.
13. Supra-logical mind.
14. A mind which intuitively understands the ways of Karma.
15. The mind sensitive to spiritual subtlety, to that something “far more deeply interfused”
16. A mind better at the “Visualization Phase” of antahkaranic construction.
17. A mind sensitive to that which has been evoked by the projective/invocative phase of antahkaranic construction
18. Thinking the thought and speaking the word which liberates through compassion.
19. The mind as an instrument for healing through love.
20. The soul-personality dialogue focuses upon sensitizing the personality to increasingly subtle impression.
21. The mind considered as an ‘instrument of sentiency’.
22. Perceptive capacities highly attuned to the detection of nuance, and to the “feeling-tones” associated with thought.
23. Musical mind, receptive to subtle melodies and harmonies.
24. The soul/personality conflict generated by increased soul/personality communication centers upon the issue of how to condition the personality so that it accepts an increasingly sacrificial life.
25. The mind as “Registrant of the Purpose”.
26. Distinct capacity to ‘slip into’ the mind of another: ‘identificatory mind’.
27. A mind capable of standing aloof, of understanding from the perspective of one who is “in this world and yet not of this world”.
28. A mind capable of dissolving distinction, and hence, of overcoming the mentally-generated differentiations which produce illusion.
29. A mind adept at introducing buddhi to the realm of manas.
30. A mind which grasps the irreducible essence, unbaffled by appearances. (This, of course, is the exact opposite of the Mercury in Pisces in the early days of evolution, when it is prey to every manner of glamour and illusion.)
31. Etc., according to the light indicated to you.
Esoteric astrology is really a sub-topic of the Seven Rays. I have dealt with this issue over many years. My view has broadened since then, and after much cosmological study, I find that all these sciences--that of the Seven Rays and that of Esoteric Astrology are *both* aspects of an even larger science--The Science of Relations.
In all of cosmos there are septenates (up to the ultimate Universal
Septenate) and Twelvefold Organizations. Our seven rays are simply subsets of
these universal septenates, and our zodiac is a subisidiary of a Zodiac of
Ten, and probably of even greater Twelvefold Organizations found in cosmic
Beings who transcend our local One About Whom Naught May Be Said--in Whom our zodiac is a twelvefold heart-within-the head center, as we have been taught.
From a practical perspective, both the twelve zodiacal energies and the seven
ray energies have to be used as a great mixture of interacting energies. The
important thing is to see the relations between them. In a segment of the
several volumes which Niklas Nihlenand I are writing together, I have dealt with
the 84 combinations of zodiacal energies and personality/soul rays. This is a
practical approach and looks at both sets of energies as indispensable in
understanding the human being.
If one does not understand the individual human being, one cannot understand
the group. Also group understanding will shed light upon the individual human
Djwhal Khul is the ultimate esoteric psychologist and esoteric astrologer and His knowledge of how to apply these energies in an individual and group sense is unparalleled.
There is very very much in the many books about the astrology of individual
initiation. Man cannot even take initiation (though he be qualified) unless
the astrological configurations are correct for the process.
I have written hundreds of pages on cosmology and the relations of
astrological factors to the bigger picture, but I refuse to ignore (just as
the Tibetan does not ignore) the individual implications of the great science
of esoteric astrology.
Every initiation has its planets--why is this? This must be understood in
depth and it will take much astro-psychological understanding to do so.
I personally am studying in depth the 14 Rules for Group Initiation. I have
memorized these rules and repeat them just about every day, BUT, do I
understand the astrological implications of each of these rules (and also the
rayological implications)? Not yet, by far, though I am working on it. These
rules have both an individual and group application and also deep
astro-rayological implications. Some of them are directly correlated to the
twelve signs--try, for instance, Rules IV, V and VI--perfect for Cancer, Leo
The universal and the individual are inseparable in the study of esoteric
astrology. Neither must be ignored.
From R&I: 106 the following about the universal and the individual must be
"Therefore, after the fourth initiation, when the work of the soul is
accomplished and the soul body fades out of the picture, only the quality
which it has imparted in substance is left as its contribution—individual,
group or planetary—to the sumtotal of manifestation. All that remains is a
point of light. This point is conscious, immutable and aware of the two
extremes of the divine expression: the sense of individual identity and the
sense of universality. These are fused and blended in the ONE. Of this ONE
the divine Hermaphrodite is the concrete symbol—the union in one of the pairs
of opposites, negative and positive, male and female. In the state of being
which we call the monadic, no difference is recognised between these two
because (if I can bring such ideas down to the level of the intelligence of
the aspirant) it is realised that there is no identity apart from
universality and no appreciation of the universal apart from the individual
realisation, and this realisation of identification with both the part and
the whole finds its point of tension in the will-to-be, which is qualified by
the will-to-good and developed (from the consciousness angle) by the
will-to-know. These are in truth three aspects of the divine will which
exists in its perfection in the solar Logos and finds a medium of expression
through the planetary Logos. This will is therefore working out in seven
ways, via the living qualities of the seven planetary Logoi Who express
Themselves through the seven sacred planets; They are preoccupied with the
endeavour of bringing all the forms of life within the orbit of Their
influence up to the same measure of recorded recognition and of registered
existence. It will be obvious to you, consequently, that on each of the
seven sacred planets one aspect of the divine Will will be dominant.
For my part, esoteric astrology has barely as yet been used to fathom the
psychology of the disicple and the initiate, yet alone the group. I for one,
will continue to study the individual application of the great science, just
as I will continue to embrace its universal implications. Would it not be
wise to keep a balanced point of view?
First the rays must be known. Perhaps ways will be found to "divine" rays from a number of charts considered together--but for now, I use my observation and intuition and the PIP Test on occasion, to understand the rays first. Then I begin to discriminate and synthesize. How do the astrological factors modify the ray expression, and vice versa.
The most important thing is to know the approximate level of evolution. The
constitution of man per se is indispensable, but it is the dynamics which are
occuring within that constitution which are all important.
Our "sacredness" (Earth's) may be as far off as the fifth round, so there is no great rush--"and yet there is no time to lose". Meanwhile, I think that all of us
had better understand our individual dynamics a bit better and astro-rayology
is a great way to get started. This will certainly help with our group
functioning and interplay--which to date, has been no great demonstration of
either love or wisdom.