A COMPILATION ON THE CENTRAL SPIRITUAL SUN
But there are two "Fires" and a distinction is made between them in the Occult teachings. The first, or the purely Formless and invisible Fire concealed in the Central Spiritual Sun, is spoken of as "triple" (metaphysically); while the Fire of the manifested Kosmos is Septenary, throughout both the Universe and our Solar System. "The fire or knowledge burns up all action on the plane of illusion," says the commentary. "Therefore, those who have acquired it and are emancipated, are called 'Fires.' " SD 1 p87
Himself only a reflection of the Central Spiritual Sun, Surya is the prototype of all those bodies that evolved after him. In the Vedas he is called Loka-Chakshuh, "the Eye of the World" SD 1 p100
The Spirit, beyond manifested Nature, is the fiery BREATH in its absolute Unity. In the manifested Universe, it is the Central Spiritual Sun, the electric Fire of all Life. In our System it is the visible Sun, the Spirit of Nature, the terrestrial god. And in, on, and around the Earth, the fiery Spirit thereof – SD ii p115
And now it may be hoped the full meaning of the serpent emblem is proven. It is neither that of evil, nor, least of all, that of the devil; but is , indeed, the [[SEMES EILAM ABRASAX]] ("the eternal Sun-Abrasax"), the central spiritual sun of all the Kabalists, represented in some diagrams by the circle of Tiphereth. SD ii p215
Thus, though the seventh principle reaches man through all the phases of being, pure as an indiscrete element and an impersonal unity, it passes through (the Kabala teaches from) the Central Spiritual Sun and Group the second (the polar Sun), which two radiate on man his Atma. Group Three (the equatorial Sun) cement the Buddhi to Atman and the higher attributes of Manas, while group Four (the spirit of our visible sun) endows him with his Manas and its vehicle -- the Kama rupa, or body of passions and desires, the two elements of Ahamkara which evolve individualized consciousness -- the personal ego. Finally, it is the spirit of the Earth in its triple unity that builds the physical body, attracting to it the Spirits of Life and forming his Linga Sarira. SD II p241
The numerical correspondences might be noted as follows, remembering that the third initiation is, in reality, the first initiation of the soul, after complete identification with the personality within the life and consciousness of the Monad, the One and the First.
1. The first planetary centre, Shamballa.
2. The activity of the first ray, will or power.
3. The third initiation which is the first soul initiation, relating the base of the spine to the head centre, and the soul to the Monad.
4. The first major centre, the head.
5. The first truly divine race, the final race.
6. The third plane, which is in reality the first plane of soul consciousness, the reflection of the highest plane, the Logoic.
7. The first periodical vehicle, the monadic.
8. The first divine aspect, will or power.
9. The first or highest type of Mediator, the coming Avatar.
10. The sustaining Life, the spiritual sun, the central spiritual sun. DON 141
2. The radiation which comes from the plane of buddhi or of the spiritual intuition. This is an expression of the love nature of the Master and is that which enables Him to be in touch with the Heart of God. It might be noted here that these three radiations emanating from a Master and enhanced by the similar, though much less powerful, radiations of the inner members of the Ashram are the [page 756] factors which put the Master and the Ashram in contact with that which is occultly spoken of as the physical Sun, the heart of the Sun and the Central Spiritual Sun. DINA 1 p756
These "knowable things" are the sources of all revelation and of all human realisations cultural and leading to what we call civilisation. Their "condensation" (if I may use such a word) is brought about by the massed invocative appeal of the entire human family at any one period. This appeal has been, on the whole, projected unconsciously, but more and more it will be consciously voiced. Results, therefore, can be expected more rapidly and prove more effective. This raincloud is formed through the joint action of the Central Spiritual Sun, working through Shamballa, and humanity itself, working hitherto through appeal to the Hierarchy, but increasingly making its own direct appeal. DINA II 161
Meditation, in its most rudimentary form, is the instinct which leads to recognition of the physical Sun and governs, for instance, the turning of planetary vegetable life towards the Sun as its dominant source of life. In its intermediate form, it is that which reveals to the aspirant and to the Hierarchy the Heart of the Sun, and in its highest form it is the mode of contact which relates the highest Beings on our planet to the Central Spiritual Sun. In every case, I would like to point out that this capacity to meditate (the spiritual expression of the mental processes) focusses itself in certain group formations which it would profit us briefly to consider. DINA II 200
c. Under this Law of Sacrifice, Sanat Kumara (to express the idea in occult terms) "must turn His back upon the Central Spiritual Sun, and with the light of His Countenance irradiate the path of the prisoners of the planet." He sentences Himself to stay for as long as may be needed, "acting as the Sun and light of the planet until the Day be with us and the night of pralaya descends upon His finished task." Thus and only thus can the light of the Central Spiritual Sun begin to penetrate the dark places of the Earth; when this happens all "shadows disappear" - an occult reference to the all-embracing radiance of the Monad as it absorbs both its reflection, the soul, and its shadow, the personality.
The initiate, on his tiny scale, achieves a paralleling [Page 288] expression of the Law of Sacrifice; he eventually turns his back upon the courts of Shamballa and upon the Way of the Higher Evolution as he retains his contact with the Earth and works as a Member of the Hierarchy for the extension of the will-to-good among men, and therefore among all the lesser evolutions. DINA II 288
5. Shamballa receives energy from various solar and extra-solar Entities or centres of emphatic and energetic life; i.e., from Venus, from the Central Spiritual Sun, from the current conditioning constellation through which our sun may be passing, from the Great Bear and other cosmic centres. Sirius, so important a factor in the spiritual life of the planet, brings its energies to bear direct upon the Hierarchy, and energy from Sirius does not normally enter our planetary life via Shamballa. Dina II 520
1. The direction in which the solar Logos is going upon the Cosmic Path.
Esoterically . . . . . . The Way towards the Central Spiritual Sun.
2. The plans of the planetary Logos upon the Systemic Path.
Esoterically . . . . . . The Way towards the Heart of the Sun.
3. The purpose ahead for the human family upon the Path of Light.
Esoterically . . . . . . The Way of the Sun. EOH p93
3. Let a few minutes' interlude then take place wherein you stabilise yourself for the work, and definitely and consciously focus the light available, from all sources, within the heart centre. Imagine that centre between the shoulder blades as a radiant sun. I might here point out that this is, in the individual, the microcosmic correspondence to the "heart of the Sun" which is always directed by the "central spiritual Sun," localised in the head. Get this picture clearly into your consciousness, for it involves the dual, yet synthetic, activity of the head and the heart. GAWP 143
You have therefore the light of knowledge, the light of wisdom and the light of the intuition, and these are three definite stages or aspects of the One Light. They correspond to the physical Sun, the heart of the Sun, and the Central Spiritual Sun. In this last sentence you have the clue and the key to the relation of man to the Logos. GAWP 192
4. The Rod of the cosmic Logos associated with our solar Logos is secreted in that central spot in the heavens around which our solar system revolves, and which is termed "the central spiritual sun." IHS p130
The three mysteries of the solar system are:
1. The mystery of Electricity. The mystery of Brahma. The secret of the third aspect. It is latent in the physical sun.
2. The mystery of Polarity, or of the universal sex impulse. The secret of the second aspect. It is latent in the Heart of the Sun, or the subjective Sun.
3. The mystery of Fire itself, or the dynamic central systemic force. The secret of the first aspect. It is latent in the Central Spiritual Sun. IHS 168
Secret of Initiation Logos Concerned Source of Energy Planes
Fohat Third Brahma Creator Physical Sun Seven, Six, Five
Polarity Fourth Vishnu Preserver Subjective Sun Four, Three
Fire Fifth Shiva Destroyer Central Spiritual Sun Two
Aspect Quality Centre Macrocosm
Spirit Father Monad Will Head Central spiritual sun.
Soul Son Ego Love Heart Heart of the sun.
Body Holy Spirit Personality Active Intelligence Throat Physical sun.
Only one more point need be touched upon. Esoterically the sun is regarded as triple:
1. The physical sun body intelligent form.
2. The heart of the sun soul love.
3. The central spiritual sun spirit life or power.
In man, the microcosm, the correspondences are:
1. The personal physical man body intelligent form.
2. The ego or Christ soul love.
3. The monad spirit life or power.
The basic differentiation in the solar system is as follows:
Agni........Electric fire.........Spirit......Central Spiritual Sun..Energy
Surya......Solar fire............Vishnu....Heart of the Sun.........Light
Brahma...Fire by friction..................Physical visible Sun....Fohat
a. The physical sun, and its relation to prana and the etheric body.
b. The subjective sun, and its connection with the astral plane, with the kama-manasic principle, and the astral body.
c. The central spiritual sun, and its relation to the Spirit or atma in man.15
d. The heart of the sun, and its relation to the lower and higher mental bodies, producing that peculiar manifestation we call the causal body. In this connection it must be remembered that the force which flows from the heart of the sun, works through a triangle formed by the Venusian scheme, the Earth and the sun.
That another triangle was also formed involving two planets was to be expected under the law, and the triangles vary according to the scheme involved.
Cosmically there is a very interesting series of triangles which will be found by the student of esoteric astronomy and of occult cycles. They originate in the central sun of our particular group of solar systems. This series involves the Pleiades. The fact that this is so will not be known until the last decade of the present century, and will not be recognised by science till that time when certain lines of knowledge and discovery will bring scientists to a realisation that there is a third type of electricity, which ever balances and forms the apex of the triangle. But the time is not yet. TCF 664
1. The mystery of Electricity. The mystery of Brahma. The secret of the third aspect. It is latent in the physical sun.
2. The mystery of Polarity, or of the universal sex impulse. The secret of the second aspect. It is latent in the Heart of the Sun, i.e., in the subjective Sun.
3. The mystery of Fire itself, or the dynamic central systemic force. The secret of the first aspect. It is latent in the central spiritual sun. TCF 872
Again, the solar Angels complete their initial sacrifice by a final one, and offer themselves upon the fiery altar. The causal body is completely destroyed. The four lower groups of solar Pitris return to the heart of the subjective sun, or to that inmost centre of the system from whence they came, whilst the three higher groups are carried (by the force and energy generated in the fiery furnace and blaze, and through the stimulation produced by the blazing forth of the central jewel) straight to the central spiritual sun, there to abide until another kalpa calls them forth to sacrifice Themselves, this time as planetary Logoi. TCF 879
Each of these great lives (embodying deva energy of the first degree) is an emanation from the central spiritual sun in the first instance and from one of the three major constellations in the second instance. Systemically they fall into three groups: Group 1 includes those transmitters of the Word who are found on the three lower subplanes of the plane Adi, or the logoic plane. Group 2 comprises those great builders who transmit the Word on the three next systemic planes, the monadic, the atmic and the buddhic. Group 3 is formed of those who carry on a similar function in the three worlds of human endeavour. Fundamentally they are also emanations from one of the seven stars of the Great Bear in the third instance. TCF 920
When these three objectives have been reached, the life of the form itself is now so strong that it can pursue its own little life cycle and fulfil its work, being only linked to its creator by a tiny thread of radiant substance, which is a correspondence to the sutratma. All forms have such a sutratma. It links a man's bodies to the inner Identity, or to that magnetic current which, emanating from the true Identity, the solar Logos, connects the Creator of the solar system with His great thought form by a stream of energy from the central Spiritual Sun to a point in the centre of the physical Sun. TCF 974
In relation to a solar system, these three fires on the cosmic planes are called:9
1. The central spiritual sun (essential).
2. The sun (subjective), called 'the heart of the sun.'
3. The physical sun (objective).
and the same thought can be carried through the monadic manifestation. The three monadic centres are distinguished by different types of energy:
1. Monadic, dynamic energy...electric impulse...pure fire.
2. Egoic, magnetic energy...radiatory impulse solar fire.
3. Personal, individual energy...rotary impulse...fire by friction. TCF 1047
The mental body is composed of only four types of essence, whereas the astral body and the physical are formed of seven types. The devas who compose this body are grouped together as "the cohorts of the fourth order" and have a close connection with that group of cosmic Lives who (through the impress of their influence upon solar matter) are responsible for the fact that our solar system is a system of the fourth order. This group of Lives is manipulated and controlled, in the macrocosmic sense, from cosmic mental levels via the central spiritual sun, and through what is called in esoteric parlance "the fourth solar cavity." If students will meditate upon the nature of the human heart and its various divisions, and particularly upon one of the valves, light upon this complex problem may be forthcoming. There is a constant inflow of energy from these great Entities on cosmic mental levels; this inflow is the very life itself of the solar units who are the sumtotal of the four lower subplanes of the mental plane, and consequently the life of the individual units who form the mental bodies of all human beings. TCF 1099
The other types of energy find their correspondence with those already enumerated but I seek only to mention one of them, - that one which reaches the second tier of love petals, via the buddhic permanent atom. The energy thus originating is of a peculiarly interesting kind being the basic energy of all manifestation, and the sum total of the forces which form the sevenfold heart of the physical sun, and which are located within its sheltering luminosity. They in their turn are transmitters of the life-impulses from the heart of the central Spiritual Sun, so that we have a direct graded chain of transmitting energies.
a. The Heart of the central Spiritual Sun.
b. The sevenfold heart of the physical Sun.
c. The buddhic devas
d. The central circle of petals.
e. The astral permanent atom.
f. The heart centre within the Head.
g. The heart centre.TCF 1115
8. The Law of Gravitation. This law is for the non-occult student the most puzzling and confusing of all the laws. It shows itself in one aspect as the power, and the stronger urge that a more vital life may have upon the lesser, such as the power of the spirit of the Earth (the planetary Entity, not the planetary Logos) to hold all physical forms to itself and prevent their "scattering." This is due to the heavier vibration, the greater accumulative force, and the aggregated tamasic lives of the body of the planetary Entity. This force works upon the negative, or lowest, aspect of all physical forms. The Law of Gravitation shows itself also in the response of the soul of all things to the greater Soul in which the lesser finds itself. This law, therefore, affects the two lowest forms of divine life, but not the highest. It emanates in the first instance from the physical sun and the heart of the Sun. The final synthesising forces which might be regarded as forms of spiritual gravitational activity are, nevertheless, not so, but are due to the working of another law, emanating from the central spiritual Sun. The one is purely systemic, the other a cosmic law. TCF 1172
Hierarchy I. The first great Hierarchy is emanated from the Heart of the central Spiritual Sun.32 It is the Son of God Himself, the First Born in a cosmic sense, even as the Christ was the "Eldest in a vast family of [Page 1197] brothers," and the "first flower on the human plant." The symbol of this Hierarchy is the Golden Lotus with its twelve petals folded. TCF 1197
We have, therefore, a direct flow of energy flowing through:
a. The logoic twelve-petalled egoic Lotus. Cosmic mental plane.
b. The solar twelve-petalled Lotus.
c. The planetary logoic Heart, also a twelve-petalled Lotus.
d. The twelve-petalled human egoic lotus on the mental plane.
e. The twelve-petalled heart centre in a human being.
Or, to word it otherwise, energy flows directly from:
a. The solar Logos via three great cosmic centres:
1. The central spiritual Sun.
2. The heart of the Sun.
3. The physical Sun.
b. The heart centre of the planetary Logos, situated on the fourth cosmic etheric plane (our buddhic plane)
c. The egoic lotus of a human being on the mental plane, which is literally a correspondence to the "heart of the sun." The monadic point is a reflection in the human system of the "central spiritual sun."
d. The heart centre of a man on the etheric plane of the physical plane, which is in its turn a correspondence to the physical sun. TCf 1205
As to the significance of the word "life" our task is wellnigh insuperable, for no human being has, or can have, any comprehension of the nature of life until he has attained the third initiation. I repeat this with emphasis, and in order to impress upon you the futility of idle speculation upon this subject. Disciples who have undergone the third initiation and have climbed the mount of Transfiguration can - from that high point - glimpse the radiance of the subjective centre of energy (the central spiritual sun of The Secret Doctrine) and so gain a flash of realisation as to the meaning of the word "life." But they cannot, and they dare not, pass on the knowledge gained. Their efforts to convey such information would be futile, and language itself would be inadequate to the task. Life is not what anyone has hitherto surmised. Energy (in contradistinction to force, and using the word to express the emanating centre which differentiates into forces) is not what idle speculation has portrayed it to be. Life is the synthesis of all activity, an activity which is a blend of many energies, for life is the sum total of the energies of the seven solar systems, of which our solar system is but one. These, in their totality, are the expression of the activity of that Being Who is designated in our hierarchical archives as the "One About Whom Naught May Be Said." EP I 150
- The attributes already expressing themselves somewhat will achieve an intensified livingness in the daily life expression of the disciple, and consequently in the lives of all whom he may touch. They will form the stepping stones across the river of life down which the new attributes may come, presenting themselves in the Persons of Those Who are destined to reveal them eventually to man. Just as, symbolically speaking, the meditation on Inclusive Reason opens the way to the "heart of the Sun", so this meditation brings in certain agencies and forces from the "central spiritual Sun", and these energies find their focal point through the medium of some revealing [Page 400] agent. Thus the problem of Avatars or of the Messengers from the Most High, the Embodied Principles, and the Revealers of Divine Attribute will gradually come to be understood in a new light, and grasped and understood as a possible goal for certain types of men. EP I 400
1. Physical Sun Form Personality . . . Influencing Mutable Cross.
2. Heart of the Sun Soul Consciousness. . . . . . Influencing Fixed Cross.
3. Central spiritual Sun Life . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Influencing Cardinal Cross.
By the word "influencing" I here refer to the energies pouring from these three aspects of the Sun through the three Crosses to our planet. Ponder on this and remember also that our Sun is travelling through space (carrying our solar system along in its sphere of influence) around our own central and conditioning star which it has been rightly presumed exists in the constellation Taurus, the Bull, being found in the Pleiades. EA 111
The three aspects of the Sun (as dealt with in The Secret [Page 296] Doctrine) are of importance at this point, because influences flowing through and from them bring the entire subjective and latent world consciousness to the fore and produce eventually (at the final revelation and liberation) the full expression of the consciousness of Deity. This can be called divine sensitivity, the universal mind or the divine plan or purpose. Words are inadequate to express that of which the highest initiate as yet knows but little. These three aspects of the Sun are the factors which bring consciousness to the birth and make the ultimate goal attainable; they make all forms of consciousness possible because these are rooted in the Sun (symbolically speaking) and are an inherent aspect of the greater whole.
1. The physical Sun - the anima mundi; the animal soul. Multiplicity.
2. The heart of the Sun - the human soul and the divine ego. Duality.
3. The central, spiritual Sun - the divine consciousness. The will of the whole. The awareness of God. Unity.
As you have been told, the Sun veils certain hidden planets, and in the case of Leo, the two planets through which the Sun focusses its energy or influences (like a lens) are Neptune and Uranus. The "heart of the Sun" employs Neptune as its agent, whilst the central, spiritual Sun pours its influences through Uranus. The activity of Uranus is, however, only registered at a very advanced stage of development upon the Path and is analogous to that point in the unfoldment of consciousness wherein, by an act of the will, the conscious and illumined man (focussed in the highest head centre) arouses the centre at the base of the spine and draws the kundalini fire upwards. Making a broad and consequently [Page 297] somewhat inaccurate generalisation, it might be said that this process is followed upon the three Crosses:
1. Upon the Mutable Cross, it is the physical Sun and its influences which affect the man, stimulate the bodily cells and sustain the form nature, affecting the centres below the diaphragm.
2. Upon the Fixed Cross, it is the "heart of the Sun" which is called into activity and which pours its energies through Neptune upon man. These stimulate and affect the heart, the throat and the ajna centres.
3. Upon the Cardinal Cross, it is the central, spiritual Sun which is called into play, and Uranus is then the distributing agency and the head centre becomes the centre in the initiate's body through which direction and control come.
In connection with the Mutable Cross, the rays of the Sun in a threefold form (combining the lowest energies of the threefold Sun) pour into and through the man, via Jupiter. Jupiter is the agent of the second ray which the Sun expresses - cosmically and systemically.
Hence the triple relation of the Sun to Leo which is unique in our solar system, and hence the importance of the triangle which controls the man born under Leo - the Sun, Uranus and Neptune. The energy of Leo is focussed through the Sun, and is distributed to our planet via the Sun and the two planets which it veils. EA 297
. The awakening of the seventh centre, the centre at the base of the spine, by the soul working through the first or highest head centre and producing (as a consequence) the surging upwards of the kundalini fire. This, in its turn, produces fusion with the higher forces. When this takes place the three major centres in the body are
The Head The Heart The base of Spine
Central spiritual Sun The heart of the Sun The physical Sun.
Sirius Mercury Saturn.
The Sun Uranus Neptune.
As the above alignment corresponds to a very high stage of initiation, it will not be possible to grasp all the implications, but enough may be apparent to reveal the underlying theme and purpose of the great work. 301 EA
Beyond these two distant planets, lies another planet as yet undiscovered, though speculation is rife about it, owing to certain unexplained movements of the planet Neptune. It is through this planet that the Forces (as they are related to Leo and Aquarius) are focussed in one potent stream of force; these pour into our planetary life during the month of August, and distribute themselves, via Uranus and Neptune. You have, therefore, in this connection:
LEO AND AQUARIUS
The physical Sun Heart of the Sun Central spiritual Sun.
The undiscovered planet.
Uranus and Neptune.
The human Hierarchy.
The animal Kingdom.
Charts of the cosmic lines of directed forces such as the above can be given for all the energies of the constellations and planetary forces, but this is the only one I choose, at this time, to indicate, because it is of major importance to humanity; the others might prove misleading, given man's present point of intelligent understanding and influence. EA 308
In the expression of the activity of this sign of duality, it is subjective energy we must consider as it produces objective effects. This sign controls esoterically the heart of our solar system and thus controls the pulsation of life which sustains all that is. Gemini is, therefore, connected with the heart of the Sun, just as Cancer is related to the physical Sun and Aquarius to the central spiritual Sun. Here again, you have a significant triangle of a cosmic nature, the energies of which are focussed through the three aspects of the Sun in a most mysterious fashion:
1. Cancer . . . physical Sun . . . 3rd aspect . . . intelligent activity of the Whole.
2. Gemini . . . heart of the Sun . . . 2nd aspect . . . love of the Whole.
- Aquarius . . . central spiritual Sun . . . 1st aspect . . . the will of the Whole. EA 351
1. Taurus. - The eye of illumination or light. The Bull's eye. Illumination. Exoterically - the physical Sun.
2. Vulcan. - The one who reveals that which is deeply hidden and brings it up into the light. Esoterically - the heart of the Sun.
- The Sun. - The great Illuminator. Spiritually - the central spiritual Sun. EA 393
THE PLANET - THE SUN
References in The Secret Doctrine
1. "The sun is a central star and not a planet." (S.D. I. 126. Note.) (Therefore when it is included among the planets, as it is, it is simply because it stands for or veils a hidden planet.)
2. The sun is merely one of those suns which ... "are sunflowers of a higher light." It is "dwelling in the vehicle of a God or of a host of Gods, like milliards of other suns." (S.D. I. 319.)
3. "The sun is the storehouse of vital force which is the noumenon of electricity." (S.D. I. 579.)
4. "The sun was not a sacred planet." (S.D. II. 26.)
5. "The sun ... has its growth, changes, development and gradual evolution." (S.D. I. 667.)
6. "The sun is matter and the sun is spirit." (S.D. I. 820.)
7. "The sun is a great magnet." (S.D. I. 541.)
8. "The solar substance is immaterial." (S.D. I. 542.)
9. "The sun (i.e. the solar system) has Alcyone in the Pleiades for the centre of its orbit." (S.D. I. 545.)
10. "The Logos with the seven hierarchies form one Power, so, in the world of form, the sun and the seven chief planets constitute one active potency." (S.D. II. 27.)
11. "The sun, the moon and Mercury were the earliest trinity of the Egyptians (Osiris, Isis and Hermes)." (S.D. II. 640.)
12. "The seven rays of the sun are made parallel to the seven worlds of every planetary chain, and to the seven rivers of heaven and earth." (S.D. II. 640.)
13. "The seven rays of the sun will expand at the final pralaya into seven suns and absorb the material of the whole universe." (S.D. II. 647.)
14. "The moon is the mind and the sun is the understanding." (S.D. II. 675.)
15. "The Trinity is symbolised by the sun:
a. The central spiritual sun - God the Father.
b. The heart of the sun - God the son.
c. The physical sun - God the Holy Spirit."
16. "It is in the sun, more than in any other heavenly body (i.e. in our solar system) that the unknown Power placed the seat of its habitation." (S.D. III. 213.)
17. "The central spiritual sun is mirrored by the ... sun." (S.D. III. 214.)
18. "The sun is one of the nine deities that witness all human action." (S.D. III. 271. Note.)
19. "The sun was the image of divine intelligence or wisdom.... The word `sol' (sun) was derived from `solus,' the One or He alone, and the Greek name `Helios' meant Most High." (S.D. III. 279.)
20. "The visible sun is only the central star but not the central spiritual sun." (S.D. III. 280.)
21. "The sun was the life-giving and the death-giving luminary." (S.D. III. 288.)
22. "The sun is the substitute for the invisible inter-Mercurial planet." (S.D. III. 459.)
23. "The pure energy of solar intelligence proceeds from the luminous seat occupied by our sun in the centre of the heavens, that pure energy being the Logos of our system." (S.D. III. 213.)
24. There is "the sun of initiation in a triple form - two of which are the `Day-Sun' and one the `Night-Sun'." (S.D. III. 212.)
25. "All initiates are `epitomisers of the history of the Sun' which epitome is another mystery within the mystery." (S.D. III. 140.)
26. "The mystery of the sun is the grandest of all the innumerable mysteries of occultism." (S.D. III. 212.)
27. The sun:
a. "Used to be called the `eye of Jupiter.' (S.D. III. 278.)
b. Plato mentioned Jupiter-Logos, the Word or sun. (S.D. II I. 279.)
c. The true colour of the sun is blue. (S.D. III. 461.)
d. The sun was adopted as a planet by the Post-Christian Astrologers who had not been initiated." (S.D. III. 461.)
28. "This Self, the highest, the one and the universal was symbolised on `the plane of mortals by the Sun, its life-giving effulgence being in its turn the emblem of the soul - killing the terrestrial passions which have ever been an impediment to the reunion of the Unit Self (the Spirit) with the All-Self. Hence the allegorical [Page 672] mystery.... It was enacted by the Sons of the Fire-Mist and of Light." (S.D. III. 271.) EA 669
1. The Head Centre. This is located at the very top of the head. It is frequently called "the thousand-petalled lotus" or the Brahmarandra.
a. It corresponds to the central spiritual sun.
b. It is brought into functioning activity after the third initiation and is the organ for the distribution of monadic energy, of the will aspect of divinity.
c. It is related to the triple personality by the antahkarana, which disciples and initiates are in process of constructing and which reaches its full usefulness only after the destruction of the causal body at the fourth initiation.
d. It is the Shamballa centre in the physical body and the agent of the Father or of the first divine aspect.
e. It registers purpose, corresponds to the "electric fire" of the solar system, and is dynamic in quality.
f. Its dense physical externalisation is the pineal gland in the head. This remains active during infancy and until the will-to-be is sufficiently established so that the incarnating person is firmly anchored in physical incarnation. In the final stages of divine expression in man it again comes into activity and usefulness as the agent for the accomplishment on earth of the will energy of established Being.
g. It is the organ of synthesis because, after the third initiation and prior to the destruction of the causal body, it gathers into itself the energies of all the three aspects of manifested life. Where man is concerned, this means the energies of the Spiritual Triad, of the threefold egoic lotus and of the triple personality, thus again making the nine of initiation. The energies thus synchronised and focussed in, around and above [Page 146] the head are of great beauty and extensive radiation, plus dynamic effectiveness. They serve to relate the initiate to all parts of the planetary life, to the Great Council at Shamballa, and to the Lord of the World, the final Initiator - via the Buddha and one of the three Buddhas of Activity. The Buddha, in a most peculiar sense, relates the initiate to the second aspect of divinity - that of love - and therefore to the Hierarchy; the Buddhas of Activity relate him to the third aspect of divinity, that of active intelligence. Thus the energy of will, of consciousness and of creativity meet in him, providing the synthesis of the divine aspects.
h. This is the only one of the seven centres which at the time of perfected liberation retains the position of an inverted lotus, with the stem of the lotus (the antahkarana, in reality) reaching up into "the seventh Heaven," thus linking the initiate with the first major planetary centre, Shamballa. All the other centres start by being inverted, with all the petals turned downwards towards the base of the spine; all, in the process of evolution, gradually unfold their petals and then slowly turn upwards "towards the summit of the rod," as it is called in the Old Commentary. The above is a piece of information which is of small value, except in so far as it presents a truth, completes a picture, and gives the student a symbolic idea of that which is essentially a distributing agent of the will energy of Deity. EH 146
This discovery is consummated at the time of the third initiation. The initiate and the Master, along with those of higher rank who are approaching identification with Shamballa, are steadily and ever more clearly hearing the Sound emanating from the Central Spiritual Sun and penetrating all forms of divine life upon our planet - via our Planetary Logos Who hears it with clarity and with understanding - the Sound of the lowest syllable of the Ineffable Name of the One in Whom all the Planetary Logoi live and move and have Their Being, for They are centres in the LIFE which is expressing itself through the medium of a solar system. RI 54
The function of the Registrants of the Purpose is to keep the channel open between our Earth, the planet Venus and the Central Spiritual Sun. The function of the Custodians of the Will is to relate the Council, the Hierarchy and Humanity, thus creating a basic triangle of force between the three major centres of the planetary Life. RI 69
1. The Monad relates the initiate to the Will of God, to the Council at Shamballa, to forces active on the planet Pluto, and on another planet which must remain nameless, and also to the Central Spiritual Sun.
2. The Soul relates the initiate to the Love of God, to the consciousness aspect of Deity, to the Hierarchy as a whole, entering it through the Ashram of the Master Who has aided him to take initiation, to the planets Venus and Mercury, to the Sun Sirius, and to the Heart of the Sun.
3. The Personality relates the initiate to the Mind [Page 97] of God, to the intelligence principle of the planetary Life, to humanity as a whole, to Saturn and Mars, and to the physical Sun through its pranic aspect.
- The Life aspect of the planet, or that great ocean of forces in which all these three aspects live and move and have their being, relates the initiate to that Life which works out through Shamballa, through the Hierarchy and through Humanity, thus forming part of the great sumtotal of manifestation. RI 97
The moment the initiate or the disciple sees, even dimly, the light of the Spiritual Triad which veils and hides the Central Spiritual Sun, he realises that all other lights - that of the atom of matter, that of the form and that of the soul itself - must inevitably fade out in the stupendous glory and brilliance which emanate from God Himself and which he senses as in process of revelation. He becomes absorbed - intellectually, intuitively, spiritually and finally factually - in that Light. Here I would remind you that just as the light of the soul revealed to the struggling aspirant a new vision, set for him new goals, enhanced all qualities present in his equipment, and revealed the past, the present and the future of the individual, so this still greater light reveals to the initiate a horizon so vast that it has hitherto escaped his capacity and is yet but possible to vision by an initiate of the third degree, endows him with an occult perception hitherto not realised as existing - a perception which permits him to penetrate increasingly and to cooperate understandingly in the purpose of the Lord of the World. It enables him later to develop the equipment - qualities and gifts of a divine nature - which will eventually enable him to take his place in the Council Chamber at Shamballa and work in full unanimity with the Lords of Karma. RI 118
The other two initiations (vaguely called the Resurrection and the Ascension) are related to the second so-called "door." This door is not in the same sense an obstruction as is the first door; it opens on to the Way of the Higher Evolution. The first door symbolically admits the initiate into the "heart of the Sun," whilst the second door - in a most mysterious sense - indicates the route which must be followed by the liberated initiate who seeks to penetrate to the Central Spiritual Sun - to which all the seven Paths eventually lead. RI 356
6. By passing through the second great Door of Initiation, the Initiate begins to learn the significance and the attractive potency of the Central Spiritual Sun, to which all the Paths eventually lead. RI 391
The preparation of the Masters for this sixth initiation is exceedingly strenuous. They find it as difficult to achieve Their goal as does the average disciple as he looks ahead at the initiation which immediately confronts him. They have to master the technique of handling the most potent energy and influence in the world, that of the intelligence. They have to penetrate into the mystery of electricity and implement [Page 395] its expression in the creative process under the directive of Shamballa; They have to learn to work with electric fire in the same way as - much earlier - They worked with fire by friction as personalities, and with solar fire as disciples and lesser initiates. In this way, They become familiarised with what is meant by the words the "Central Spiritual Sun," just as They were familiar with the appearance of the physical Sun when members of the human family, and with the "Heart of the Sun" as Members of the Hierarchy. Again you can see the same unfolding synthesis - a synthesis which originates in that focal point of attractive dynamic energy, known to us as the Sun and its planets. RI 395
Three Paths, therefore, lead to the realm of loving attractive energy; one Path leads to its higher correspondence, the cosmic level of pure reason; three lead to the realm of divine Mind. Four of the Paths relate the advancing Master to the Heart of the Great Life Who functions through this solar system, and three to His Mind nature. All of them lead the initiate eventually to the Central Spiritual Sun. [Page 400] All Who work in Shamballa find Their way to this supreme centre by the three most arduous ways, whilst the remainder reach the same goal via the way of love. RI 400
Of this Word, the dual symbol SXPRULXS takes form in the mind of the disciple and signifies the assertion: "I SEE THE GREATEST LIGHT." This statement has relation to the Central Spiritual Sun and not to the Heart of the Sun; it involves, if I might so express it, the most intense effort to see in the light the relation of the whole, and this is one of the most potent experiences to which the disciple can be subjected. It is not vision or even aspiration to see the vision. It is complete sight and of this the Masonic symbol of the "Eye of God," the "All-Seeing Eye," is the expression. RI 516
The initiate in good standing looks into the heart of things; he has forced his way to the very "Heart of the Sun" (using those words in a "planetary" and not in a "solar" sense) and - from that vantage point - he becomes aware of the "Central Spiritual Sun" and the Way of the Higher Evolution which leads inevitably to that assured centre of the Most High. RI 652
The way to the Central Spiritual Sun is therefore revealed to him, and he knows that he faces a period of intense preparation (not training, as that word is usually understood) for a length of time determined by world need, the nature of his service and certain undefinable ray conditions.
He has to fulfill the magnetic condition which will enable him to form his own Ashram; he has to unfold a new phase of selective spiritual discrimination. The word discrimination is, however, misleading, because the form of it which he can now express carries no quality of rejection or of separation. It is a right knowledge and understanding of those karmically linked to him, a right use of an impelling attractive force which will, occultly speaking, attract the attention of those who should enter his Ashram, plus an esoteric process of blending himself and his Ashram into the full body of the Hierarchy. New Ashrams within the Hierarchy present much the same type of difficulty and problems as the entrance of a new disciple into an Ashram. RI 653
At the ninth Initiation of Refusal, the revelation presented to the Master concerns the nature of Being and of existence. There is naught I can say to you which could be in any way explanatory of Being, for Being is related to THAT which creates, to the universal point of planetary or solar Life which is, and has ever been, responsible for the life of all forms from the greatest manifestation to the smallest. When that revelation is accorded to the initiate, he for the first time receives his initial contact with what is called in the occult and esoteric books "the Central Spiritual Sun." He realises for himself that those words concern a basic fact and are related to the purpose of the solar system, just as "the Heart of the Sun" revealed to him the quality of the solar system. When it is realised that our planetary purpose is mysteriously related to the revelation of love upon our little planet, the Earth, through the process of creation, the concept emerges that there is the probability that our planet has a unique relation to the Heart of the Sun. There are many hints for you in what I have said; they are hints to me also, only I can bring to their expansion into ascertained fact a wider knowledge than is as yet your possession. RI 728
The "greater light" is that of the soul, who is light itself illuminating the manifestation of the three-fold personality. Herein lies the correspondence to the macrocosm as it is symbolized for us in God, the manifesting light of the solar system. The solar system is three in one, or one in three, and the light of the Logos illuminates the whole. The "lower light" is that which is hidden within the human being on the physical plane. This light, at a certain stage of man's experience, is awakened throughout the physical body and blends eventually with the "greater light". The light and life of God Himself may emanate from the central Spiritual Sun, but it is only as the light within the solar system itself is awakened and aroused that there will come that eventual blazing forth which will typify the glory of the Sun shining in its strength. Similarly, the light of the soul may emanate from the Monad, but it is only as the light within the little system (directed by the soul) is awakened and aroused that there will come the eventual shining forth of a son of God. TOWM 73
To return to our theme: - The heart centre in man opens the door into what is called "the heart of the Sun." The throat centre opens the way into full understanding of the path of the physical Sun and all true astrologers must eventually have that centre functioning. The head centre opens the way to the central spiritual Sun, each passing, via the planetary correspondence, to one of the cosmic planes. TOWM 364
Humanity constitutes a centre of energy within the cosmos, capable of three activities.
I. First of all, humanity is responsive to the inflow of spiritual energy. This pours into it from the cosmos, and speaking symbolically these energies are basically three in number:
1. Spiritual energy, as we inadequately term it. This emanates from God the Father and reaches humanity from the level of what is technically called the monadic plane, from the archetypal sphere, the highest source of which a man can become conscious. To this type of energy there are few so equipped that they can respond. It is for the majority practically nonexistent. I use the words "God the Father" in the sense of the One Self-Existent Life, or Absolute Being.
2. Sentient energy - the energy which makes man a [Page 526] soul. It is the principle of awareness, the faculty of consciousness, that something, inherent in matter (when brought into relation with spirit), which awakens responsiveness to an outer and far-reaching field of contacts. It is that which eventually develops in man a recognition of the whole, of the self, and which leads him to self-determination and self-realisation. When these are developed, as they are not in the subhuman kingdoms, a man can become aware of the first type of energy, mentioned above. This energy of sentient consciousness comes from the second aspect of deity, from the heart of the sun, just as the first, technically but symbolically speaking, emanates from the central spiritual sun. The parallel to these two types of force in a human being is the nervous energy working through the nervous system with headquarters in the brain, and the life energy which is seated in the heart.
3. Pranic energy, or vitality. This is that vital force, inherent in matter itself and in which all forms are immersed, as they constitute functioning parts of the greater form. To this all forms respond. This type of energy comes from the physical sun and works actively upon the vital bodies of every form in the natural world, including the physical form of humanity itself.
In the terminology of the Ageless Wisdom, these three are called electric fire, solar fire, and fire by friction, and their purpose in relation to each other is summed up for us in the words of The Secret Doctrine as follows: TOWM 526