Commentary on Rule X for Applicants
(All Bolding, Underlining and Highlighting is by MDR)
A. For the first of the six months we will focus upon Rule X for Applicants (from August 10th to
September 7th 2006).
We might choose as theme for our meditation:
1. Either the full sentence of the Rule for Applicants:
“The Army of the Voice, the devas in their serried ranks, work ceaselessly. Let the disciple apply himself to the consideration of their methods; let him learn the rules whereby that Army works within the veils of Maya.” (IHS, p. 203)
2. Or, additionally, sub-themes which DK refers to in His commentary to this Rule, such as (IHS, p. 203):
a. “It is not safe for the uninitiated to tamper with the parallel evolution of the devas.” (cf. IHS, p. 203)
b. “Yet it is necessary and safe to investigate the procedure pursued by the builders, the methods followed by them, in reproducing from the archetype, via the etheric that which we call physical manifestation.” (cf. IHS, p. 203)
c. “Their sounds must be somewhat theoretically cognised, and the sounds whereby they are swept into activity considered.” (cf. IHS, p. 203)
d. “All Applicants are called to an organised study of
1. The purpose of sound.
2. The esoteric meaning of words, of grammar, and of syntax.
3. The laws of vibration and of electricity, and many other subsidiary studies which concern themselves with the manifestation of divinity and consciousness through the medium of deva substance and the activity of the controlling devas. The laws of the macrocosm will be investigated, and the correspondence between the activities of the microcosm, and the active manifestation of the macrocosm will be recognised.” (cf. IHS, p. 203)
Rule X for Applicants
The Army of the Voice, the devas in their serried ranks, work ceaselessly.
1. We can link the Army of the Voice, ultimately, to the Pleiades, who are the “nurses of the God of War”, Mars:
“1. "The Pleiades are the supposed wives of the seven Rishis of the Great Bear. They are also the nurses of the God of War, Mars, the commander of the celestial armies." (II. 579.) (EA 565)
2. The well-organized Army serves the process of creation. It is especially under the control of the throat center. Every word uttered sets this Army in motion.
3. Its purpose is right creativity, but obviously, given the frequent careless, purposeless utilization of words, the Army creates many forms which are useless or even obstructive.
4. As human beings, we are always commanding the “Army of the Voice”—at least the lower aspects of this “Army”. The forms created have their potent effect. They impress themselves upon the memories of those who hear and are part of the general conditioning of our environment.
5. In fact, through the power we have over the “Army”, we are constantly creating our circumstances, whether or not in accordance with the will of the soul.
6. Mars, Earth and Saturn (three planets connected with a great third ray Entity) are involved in this creative process. Could we but link Venus as the representative of the soul to this process, the forms created would be goal-fit, suitable for representing soul purpose.
7. He is fit to command that “Army” who has united heart and mind.
8. The devas concerned are blind; they are not the self-consciousness devas who parallel the development of the self-conscious human being.
9. When considering the "Army of the Voice" from a higher perspective, the devas concerned are not blind, the fourteen preliminary rules are written for the aspirant to initiation and do not concern matters cosmic.
10. There is a close relation of Virgo to the Army. Even in conventional astrology, Virgo so often represents the “armed service”—the Army, Navy, Marines, etc.
11. When human beings are impressed into armies, their will is no longer their own. This is one of the major themes of Virgo—the surrender of the will to a higher will.
12. The deva members of the Army of the Voice, have surrendered their potencies to the ‘commanding Voice’, from wherever that Voice may emanate. (For the higher “Army”, the Voice may emanate from Shamballa.)
13. The sound created by the lower “Army of the Voice” can become obstructive. It can overwhelm the Voice of the Soul. In one of the later Rules we are told, “Let the Army of the Voice be no more heard, and let the brothers onward move within the Sound”. This is the future.
14. The seventh ray is much associated with this “Army”. The throat center is usually ruled by the third ray (Earth or Saturn), and yet, for the disciple, the seventh ray holds its place in this center. The “Army” is much better commanded by the will-conscious seventh ray than by the often irresponsible third ray—irresponsible at first.
15. We can see how much the “Army comes under the third aspect of divinity, for it “works ceaselessly”. The third aspect is the activity aspect, and its activity is constant.
16. Into all this ceaseless activity must come purposeful control.
17. If we manage to regulate the “Army of the Voice” with respect to our microcosmic demonstration, we shall be on the way to overcoming maya.
Let the disciple apply himself to the consideration of their methods;
18. This is not easy to do as there is little written on the subject.
19. It is especially in the use of our words that we ensure that the Army’s methods will be best applied.
“One of the greatest instruments for practical development lying in the hands of small and great, is the instrument of SPEECH. He who guards his words, and who only speaks with altruistic purpose, in order to carry the energy of Love through the medium of the tongue, is one who is mastering rapidly the initial steps to be taken in preparation for initiation. Speech is the most occult manifestation in existence; it is the means of creation and the vehicle for force. In the reservation of words, esoterically understood, lies the conservation of force; in the utilisation of words, justly chosen and spoken, lies the distribution of the love force of the solar system,—that force which preserves, strengthens, and stimulates. Only he who knows somewhat of these two aspects of speech can be trusted to stand before the Initiator and to carry out from that Presence certain sounds and secrets imparted to him under the pledge of silence.” ( Hierarchy (IHS 74)
20. We have to grasp the sheer automaticism of the functioning of this Army (especially in its lower aspect). The building process which they serve cannot be stemmed.
21. Much use of the Sacred Word,
OM, will conduce to better and more soul-related building.
22. The “Army” functions in relation to all the eighteen lower sub-planes of the cosmic physical plane, but strictly speaking, only upon the systemic ethers.
23. A higher and cosmically-related form of "Army of the Voice" builds the forms to be found upon the systemic astral and mental planes.
24. The lower "Army of the Voice" is the impulsive factor in relation to the gross physical systemic planes.
25. The higher "Army of the Voice" is impulsive in relation to the astral and mental sub-planes within the eighteen lower sub-planes.
26. The members of the higher “Army of the Voice” are fully conscious, but in this Rule of Applicants, it is not with them that we are concerned.
let him learn the rules whereby that Army works within the veils of Maya.
27. The “veils of Maya” as here understood, are the eighteen lower sub-planes.
28. More specifically, the “veils of Maya” are the four lower ethers, compounded by the three dense sub-planes—gaseous, liquid and dense.
29. We seem to be entering the realm of magic. The lesser builders are the “Army of the Voice” and are precisely those who respond to process of magic so carefully described in A Treatise on White Magic. This book and its Rules will have to be used as a companion volume for the understanding of the “rules whereby that Army works”.
30. It is clear that to learn the Rules of White Magic and work wisely with them, the disciple will have to adopt the attitude of a white magician.
31. I will now list the Fifteen Rules for Magic so that thoughtful consideration may be given to them as we search for the “rules whereby the Army Works”
RULES FOR MAGIC
The Solar Angel collects himself, scatters not his force, but, in meditation deep, communicates with his reflection.
When the shadow hath responded, in meditation deep the work proceedeth. The lower light is thrown upward; the greater light illuminates the three, and the work of the four proceedeth.
The Energy circulates. The point of light, the product of the labours of the four, waxeth and groweth. The myriads gather round its glowing warmth until its light recedes. Its fire grows dim. Then shall the second sound go forth.
Sound, light, vibration, and the form blend and merge, and thus the work is one. It proceedeth under the law, and naught can hinder now the work from going forward. The man breathes deeply. He concentrates his forces, and drives the thought-form from him.
Three things engage the Solar Angel before the sheath of the one who thus creates, and steady contemplation. Thus are the heart, the throat, and eye, allied for triple service.
[Page xiii] RULE SIX
The devas of the lower four feel the force when the eye opens; they are driven forth and lose their master.
The dual forces of the plane whereon the vital power must be sought are seen; the two paths face the solar Angel; the poles vibrate. A choice confronts the one who meditates.
The Agnisuryans respond to the sound. The waters ebb and flow. Let the magician guard himself from drowning at the point where land and water meet. The midway spot, which is neither dry nor wet, must provide the standing place whereon his feet are set. When water, land and air meet, there is the place for magic to be wrought.
Condensation next ensues. The fire and waters meet, the form swells and grows. Let the magician set his form upon the proper path.
As the waters bathe the form created, they are absorbed and used. The form increases in its strength; let the magician thus continue until the work suffices. Let the outer builders cease their labors then, and let the inner workers enter on their cycle.
Three things the worker with the law must now accomplish. First, ascertain the formula which will confine the lives within the ensphering wall; next, pronounce the words which will tell them what to do and where to carry [Page xiv] that which has been made; and finally, utter forth the mystic phrase which will save him from their work.
The web pulsates. It contracts and expands. Let the magician seize the midway point and thus release those "prisoners of the planet" whose note is right and justly tuned to that which must be made.
The magician must recognize the four; note in his work the shade of violet they evidence, and thus construct the shadow. When this is so, the shadow clothes itself, and the four become the seven.
The sound swells out. The hour of danger to the soul courageous draweth near. The waters have not hurt the white creator and naught could drown nor drench him. Danger from fire and flame menaces now, and dimly yet the rising smoke is seen. Let him again, after the cycle of peace, call on the solar Angel.
The fires approach the shadow, yet burn it not. The fire sheath is completed. Let the magician chant the words that blend the fire and water.
32. If we read these Rules carefully (and of course they are an extensive study in themselves—at which we will arrive when studying TCF in the 900’s), we will discover that the Rules deal not only with what the magician must do but with what how the “Army” responds in relation the three levels of mind, emotion and body.
33. For instance, in Rule III, when we read--“The myriads gather round its glowing warmth until its light recedes. Its fire grows dim.”—the response of the mental devas are being described,”—we are describing the response of that part of the “Army” which works in relation to the mental elementals.
34. Or in Rule VIII, the following tells of the manner in which the Agnisuryans (in relation to which the Army functions when impulsing the astral plane) respond—“The Agnisuryans respond to the sound. The waters ebb and flow. Let the magician guard himself from drowning at the point where land and water meet.”
35. Or in Rule XII relating to the agnichaitans of an etheric nature: “The web pulsates. It contracts and expands.”
36. So there are certainly rules whereby that “Army” works, but given the degree of our apprehension, they are not easy to discern. Subtle vision will be required in order to fulfill even these seemingly simple requirements of Rule X for Applicants.
37. We must always remember the following in relation to the “Army of the Voice”
They are not active on the three gross physical levels or upon the astral or mental planes, nor are they active upon the highest or logoic plane. (R&I 179)
38. For further elaboration of this idea please see the Commentary on Rule X for Disciples and Initiates, Part I of V.
39. They, therefore, build coordinate the elemental essence to be found upon the astral and mental planes, but are not strictly speaking active on these three gross levels.
Paragraphs Describing Rule X
This rule refers to the work of occult investigation, which must be pursued at some time or another by all who seek initiation.
40. When dealing with the ethers, etheric vision will be required to discern the methods of the “Army” and the rules by which it works.
41. The “Army of the Voice” is operative in relation to (though not upon) all eighteen sub-planes, but within the “veils of maya” which are particularly the systemic and physical cosmic sub-planes.
42. We are entering the Age of the Builders, when the seventh ray will be prominent. It will be an age which will necessitate magical controls and the most cautious procedures.
43. We build under the direction of Will and Power. Vulcan (first ray) and Uranus (seventh ray) are both involved.
44. We note that “occult investigation” is involved. This suggests the blending of the fifth and seventh rays. We are not here concerned with a mystical process.
Though it is not safe for the uninitiated to tamper with the parallel evolution of the devas, yet it is necessary and safe to investigate the procedure pursued by the builders, the methods followed by them, in reproducing from the archetype, via the etheric that which we call physical manifestation;
45. It is the initiate of the third degree who is equipped to wield the deva forces with greater assurance. Such an initiate has become a white magician.
46. The average student of occultism is of lower degree, but can at least begin an investigative procedure.
47. DK is outlining the work of many scientists during the next several centuries. Already, they are learning or morphogenic fields, which are etheric archetypes determining the method of aggregation of dense matter.
48. Our task will be to isolate various archetypal etheric forms and follow the manner by which physical plane matter is built into such etheric ‘frames’.
49. The method will first involve close physical observation. Later, reliable etheric vision will emerge and trained investigators will be able to agree upon what they see. Then the entire process of understanding etheric-physical creativity will take a great leap forward.
50. We can see that the methods and rules of the “Army” will particularly be discerned by studying the building process.
51. Perhaps, the field of embryology will be particularly fruitful of results.
52. Work with plant forms may also be very revelatory.
their sounds must be somewhat theoretically cognised, and the sounds whereby they are swept into activity considered.
53. We can see that the study of pitch, tone and music will enter the process.
54. Recently, we have seen how various refined powders and other substances aggregate under the influence of different sounds and notes. In the many changes in response to changing sounds, etheric phenomena are implicated.
55. This will be a specialized study, and suitable physical media will have to be chosen to reflect the etheric changes.
56. Admittedly, this is beginning very much from the outside-in, but it is likely that the relation between physical form, etheric fields and changing sounds can be clarified to a significant extent.
57. We can see how much of a scientist the occultist must become.
58. In simpler ways, students can experiment with changing sounds in relation to the quality of thoughts they build and the words they speak.
59. Even modulation of the tone of voice will yield greater understanding of the quality of forms constructed.
This involves, therefore, the organised study, by all applicants, of:—
1. The purpose of sound.
60. This, of course, is a huge subject. One way to approach it is through the study of the Sacred Word as presented in Letters on Occult Meditation, and in various places throughout the books.
61. Sound is the creator of Archetypes, and Archetypes (found in their purest state on the akashic plane of the cosmic physical plane) resound as seven fundamental ‘monadic Forms’. These are the “Forms” of which Plato spoke.
62. Sound is both the sustainer (Vishnu) and the creator (Brahma). As well, it can be the destroyer (Shiva).
63. We have only to begin pondering on the role of sound in our lives and illumined thoughts will emerge.
64. Through meditation we will begin to seek out the Word of the Soul—the creator of the personality instrument. We will learn to approximate the words we think and speak to the Inner Word resounding in the innermost recesses of our consciousness.
65. Should we succeed in this, the path of the Monad-as-Word lies open, though the treading of that path will be long.
2. The esoteric meaning of words, of grammar, and of syntax.
66. Here we are dealing with the occultism behind the building process. How are thoughtforms actually constructed through thought and speech? Of what quality are these thoughtforms? To what extent does their construction depend upon the manner in which words are combined—correctly or incorrectly—whether in thought or word?
67. If we study the effects of our words upon others (paying especially attention to our use of grammar and syntax) we may learn to take care in these matters. The art of construction is more precise than we may imagine.
3. The laws of vibration and of electricity, and many other subsidiary studies which concern themselves with the manifestation of divinity and consciousness through the medium of deva substance and the activity of the controlling devas.
68. The whole study grows increasingly complex, and we realize we do not yet have at our disposal the necessary tools for such a study.
69. The Law of Vibration is the first systemic law and we have hardly penetrated it. It must be closely related to a study of music.
70. As for electricity, the more we study the revelations of the fourth ether, the more the secrets of electricity shall be in our hands. Work with Uranus (in its lower expressions) will here be relevant.
71. All of this pertains to the art and science of manifestation.
72. We will be studying elemental life and controlling devas: they are different.
73. The study of substance is more accessible; the study of the directing agencies at work within the substance is still relatively remote. We have not yet located these intelligences on any large scale.
The laws of the macrocosm will be investigated, and the correspondence between the activities of the microcosm, and the active manifestation of the macrocosm will be recognised.
74. Here we are invited to consider the three cosmic laws and the seven systemic laws.
75. When it comes to comparison with the microcosm, our focus will be on the laws of the soul.
76. In this Rule we deal primarily with the systemic etheric-physical plane, but such activities are impulsed from the cosmic ethers, and on these ethers macrocosmic laws function.
77. We can see how much is involved in investigating the methods and rules which pertain to the “Army of the Voice”.
78. We should also gain new respect for the profundity of these seemingly simple Rules. They are for Applicants to Initiation and yet involve such depth that it will take centuries to unfold them with accuracy.
79. To the extent that we can be responsive to the spiritual triad via the antahkarana, we will be able to build forms upon the systemic astral and mental planes which will represent the divinely imparted instructions conveyed to the higher "Army of the Voice".
80. One of the important subjects to be clarified is the manner in which the “Army” may be impulsive in relation to the gross physical plane and the astral and mental planes, and yet not be active “on” those planes.
81. This will require careful thought.
82. As intelligent human beings we can begin to command the “Army” as it is active on the systemic ethers. What will it require of us if we are to begin to work in relation to the “Army” as it functions on the cosmic ethers?
83. It is well to bear in mind that the physical ethers master the gross physical levels on the systemic planes; the cosmic ethers master the gross physical levels cosmically considered—i.e., the lower eighteen sub-planes with the exception of the systemic ethers.
84. Surely, a well-functioning antahkarana will be required to control the building processes upon fourteen of the lower eighteen sub-planes. This is why only a Master has true mastery upon these sub-planes.