28 Rules Group
Commentary on Rule XII, Part II of V
(All Highlighting, Bolding and Underlining—MDR)
Please read this Commentary with your book open or with reference to an electronic copy of the text. This will facilitate an appreciation of continuity.
The rule runs as follows:
Let the group serve as Aquarius indicates; let Mercury speed the group upon the upward Way and let Taurus bring illumination and the attainment of the vision; let the mark of the Saviour, as the group toils in Pisces, be seen above the aura of the group.
1. This is clearly a Rule significantly related to astrology. Energies of the astrological constellations are being received and are governing the expression of different parts of the human family.
2. Aquarius is a sign of futurity and “indicates” that which is to be. Aquarius is the sign which most conditions the Hierarchy of Light and Love—especially in the coming Age, but really, always.
3. The role of Mercury as the ‘ruler’ of the antahkarana is suggested. Mercury connects various dimensions and makes possible an interplay between the relatively high and the relatively low. Always relativity is involved in relation to this ‘Planet of Relationship’.
4. We can conceive of the “upward way” as the "Way of Higher Evolution" which confronts a Chohan at and after the sixth initiation.
5. We should remember that Mercury is indeed a planet of “speed”. Mercury is swift Mercury and proper response to what it offers facilitates speedy achievement.
6. Taurus is the sign of light and illumination. It is particularly related to that group of practical visionaries—the New Group of World Servers—who represent the ajna center of Sanat Kumara. Taurus is a sign directly connected with the brow and with the ajna center.
7. What will the “vision” be? It will be a vision of the purpose of Sanat Kumara or of the Planetary Logos. With this the New Group will seek to align. Hierarchy is already aligned with this vision and purpose.
8. The “Mark of the Savior” is a real symbol to be seen above the aura of the New Group of World Servers or of any truly serving group.
9. Pisces (the ‘Sign of Redemption’) represents the field of redemption. The ancient patterns inherited from the Moon-chain and from the previous solar system must be repatterned and those who are still victim to these patterns must be saved by being brought into alignment with the intended patterns of the second major solar system.
10. Redemption means work—toilsome labor. It is this type of labor in which the Hierarchy engages always.
11. To toil in Pisces means to work with those who are still subservient to the energy of the past, and, thus, with those who are held by maya, glamour and illusion.
12. The Members of the Spiritual Hierarchy of our planet are mighty Toilers for the expression of the Purpose of the Planetary Logos and, even, of the Solar Logos. They see the “big picture” and are sure of the essentials of the process of planetary redemption. Ours is the task to emulate Their labor.
You will remember that the rule as given to applicants emphasised:
1. The use of the hands in service for healing, blessing and for invocation.
13. This points to methods of service which will be liberally employed during the Age of Aquarius. The coming Age will be an Age of healing and blessing and during it the Science of Invocation will rise to new heights.
2. The mark of the Messenger in the feet; this referred to the use of the intuition, which is governed by Mercury.
14. We remember that the second decanate of the Age of Aquarius (some seven hundred and twenty years into that Age) will be ruled by Mercury. Will it be a period in which the intuition is strongly developed? Certainly it will be a period of manasic attainment. Perhaps it will be a period in which the fruits of manas will be placed at the disposal of a rapidly developing intuitive sense.
15. This will not be the case for all human beings, but certainly will be so for advanced humanity.
16. In a Rule meant for group assimilation and expression, it will be the group intuition that will be developed and expressed.
3. The use of the "eye." This is not in reality the third eye (which is after all only a symbolic phrase), but the [Page 228] ability to use developed soul power.
17. The “eye which looks out from between the two” is really the soul.
18. There are an abundance of soul powers of which we know very little. We may imagine that during the Aquarian Age these soul powers will be cultivated and expressed. May we think that during the next two thousand or so years the soul will be scientifically ‘discovered’?
19. To use soul power will require the polarization of consciousness within the causal body—something which, at this time, more can talk about than achieve.
20. Perhaps the truly gifted individual (the genius) in full tide of expression is (for the period of that expression, at least) polarized within the causal body.
This is that intermediate potency found between the power of the mind and the dynamic electric energy of pure will.
21. The “eye which looks out from between the two” is here localized. The soul is found between the lower mind and the will. It is the “one who stands between” and partakes of both natures—mind and will.
22. We note that the this “eye” (the soul) is discussed as a “potency” (i.e., an energy) and no so much as a thing.
For the initiate, this rule simply carries the same message but on an infinitely higher scale,
23. One may question the use of the word “infinitely”, but certainly the idea is conveyed that the Rule for initiates is greatly in advance of the comparable Rule for the individual aspirant.
and (if I may so express it) obedience to this rule calls in Aquarian energy, the reasoning power of Mercury, and the illumination of Taurus, in order to carry forward hierarchical work upon a planet and in a planetary cycle which have been conditioned by Pisces for more than two thousand years.
24. Here is an excellent summary statement. If we attempt to serve as Aquarius “indicates”, Aquarian energy will be called in to facilitate the service.
25. The same is true for the other powers—those of Taurus, Aquarius and, presumably, the higher energies of Pisces.
26. The “reasoning power of Mercury” is not only mental reasoning but is ‘intuitive pure reasoning’—a very different matter requiring the utilization of the “transcendental mind”.
27. All these Rules are meant to be obeyed. To study is one thing; to obey, another. This will take great individual and group effort.
I would have you ponder on this, for in realisation you will here have the formula for the work of the Hierarchy as it reconstructs the world after the destruction wrought since 1900 A.D.
28. We note that the major discoveries the field of atomic energy occurred after 1900. Within these discoveries both the fifth and first rays were active.
29. We might say that the period of reconstruction began after the end of the Great War (1914-1945). We might question whether the reconstruction has been adequate to avert a far greater destruction? DK told us that the results of the Shamballa Impact of the year 2000 might be less destructive than previous impacts, but there is danger that the opportunity to make it less destructive may have been squandered.
You have here also a great triangle of energies, functioning through the medium of Mercury, the reasonable, reasoning Messenger of the Gods:
30. This description of Mercury (as the “reasonable, reasoning Messenger of the Gods”) is an excellent summation of the powers of this highly occult planet.
31. If we study the diagram we shall see that both Taurus and Pisces seem to be expressing directly through Mercury. Is this true for Aquarius as well? The dotted line which seems to indicate a connection between Aquarius and Mercury does not completely touch the point representing Aquarius.
32. Perhaps a Mercurian invocation of Aquarian energies is in process and the full touching of that point is a development reserved for the future.
33. From another perspective, if we envision the triangle connecting Aquarius, Taurus and Pisces as horizontal and not vertical (and attempt to see the diagram as if it were drawn in three dimensions), then the dotted line to Mercury seems to arise out of the center of the major triangle.
34. If we conceive the constellational triangle as horizontal, then Aquarius, Taurus and Pisces are seen to be of equal status—all “on the level”.
35. If we interpret the triangle as vertical, then Aquarius represents the major energy and the planet Mercury has yet to convey the full expression of Aquarian energy.
36. We will remember that there exists a special relationship between Aquarius and Mercury, since Mercury is the ruler of Aquarius’ second decanate.
The Hierarchy is, therefore, at this time, conditioned by three great constellations:
37. All three of these constellations condition the Hierarchy, but, perhaps, Aquarius most of all.
1. Aquarius—The Custodian of that "life more abundantly" of which the Christ spoke and which He can draw upon at this time in a new and dynamic manner in order to bring about the restoration needed. This energy is the "implementing force of universality." It concerns the future.
38. An amazing section of text! The Aquarian energy is particularly associated with “universality”. From a ‘local’ perspective, universality is directly related to our solar system as whole. The solar system is our local ‘universe’.
39. We gather that universality can be implemented, and that Aquarius is just the sign in which this can happen. Aquarius will be associated as we know, with the practical seventh ray and is already the emanating source of the concretizing fifth ray.
40. The “Forces of Restoration” are particularly associated with the energy of Aries, but we can see that they are related to Aquarius as well. The restoration of the archetype is a Uranian process, and both of these constellations are strongly influenced by Uranus (the orthodox ruler of Aquarius and the hierarchical ruler of Aries.
41. The “life more abundantly” of which Aquarius is the custodian suggests the planetary esoteric ruler, Jupiter—‘planet of abundance’.
42. In order to bring about restoration the energies of life will be required. The necessary energy source is well above the higher mental plane.
2. Taurus—The Revealer of the vision, the "eye of the Gods," the donor of illumination. It is that which concerns the present.
43. If Aquarius represents the future, then Taurus represents the present.
44. The vision being revealed points to the Purpose of our Planetary Logos.
45. Who are the “Gods” of Whom Taurus is the “eye”? It is as if through the powers of the constellation Taurus, the Planetary Logoi can better see and perhaps this is true of the Logoi of the other eleven zodiacal constellations.
46. It is curious to read of Taurus as the “donor of illumination”. A “donor” gives selflessly, philanthropically. To give or donate light is, from one perspective, to increase vibration (so that current vibrations are elevated thus becoming new vibrations conveying new light). To donate light is also to give the power to register previously invisible vibrations.
47. All vibrations translate into light of some kind.
48. Taurus may reveal one kind of vision to the members of the New Group of World Servers, but quite another to the Planetary Logoi and still another (and greater) to Solar Logoi and, later, ‘constellational Logoi’).
3. Pisces—The Inspiration of the World Saviour, and also the field of salvation. It is the field of force in which the two other forces must work. It has been produced by the past.
49. Although Pisces represents the past in need of redemption, it is also the future in relation to our second ray solar system. Pisces is the greatest of the second ray constellations and is the prototype of the saving energy of Sanat Kumara and of the Christ.
50. From Pisces every great World Saviour receives His inspiration. Through Pisces the field in which redemption must be attempted is also indicated.
51. The past 2000 years or so have produced Piscean conditions within humanity and upon our globe. Yet Pisces also indicates the manner in which the redemptive work may be accomplished—selflessly. Add to this the abundance of Aquarius and the illumination of Taurus (as well as the linking intelligence of Mercury) and one begins to see how redemption can be facilitated.
As these three constellations pour their energies into the great Ashram of Sanat Kumara, the Hierarchy, they are there concentrated and retained until released under "the swift design of Mercury" into the field of the human consciousness.
52. Mercury is, par excellence, the ‘planet of humanity’. The entire Fourth Creative Hierarchy is ruled by Mercury and Scorpio (in which Mercury is the hierarchical ruler).
53. We may also recall the triangle: Capricorn—Mercury—Humanity.
54. Mercury engineers the intelligent implementation of the three constellational forces. Mercury is the conduit for the triple energies which, at this time, characterize Hierarchy.
55. We see that Mercury is not only a means of approach and invocation, but a means of transmission of higher energies into lower fields.
56. Mercury represents the antahkarana between Hierarchy and Shamballa. The Buddha Who comes forth from Shamballa towards Hierarchy and humanity for eight minutes every year (according to the well-known legend) is, symbolically, Mercury.
57. Through Mercury the group reaches into Hierarchy and through Mercury the energy and quality of Hierarchy is guided (swiftly and according to the proper design) into human consciousness.
The effect of this release is to awaken the intuition (governed as you know by Mercury), and to enlighten advanced humanity.
58. As stated, the influence of Mercury (as presented in this Rule, at least) will be for the benefit of advanced humanity (those for whom the egoic lotus is located on the second sub-plane of the mental plane).
59. The intuition already exists, but it must be received in the consciousness of humanity. This requires the building of the antahkarana. We may imagine that during the second decanate of the Age of Aquarius, the process of building the antahkarana will be much discussed and practiced among the more educated kinds of human beings.
60. The intuition carries the light of pure reason. It is an enlightening force.
61. We realize that the Forces of Enlightenment are associated with the constellation Taurus. Thus, there is a very close connection between Taurus and the planet Mercury.
62. This close connection is exemplified in the life of the Buddha Who was born in Taurus, received His enlightenment in Taurus and died in Taurus. In occultism, another name for the Buddha is “Mercury”, and in Sanskrit, Mercury is known as “Buddha”. The associations should be convincing.
It is through intuitive human beings that knowledge of the Plan is given to humanity and the work of restoration can be carried forward.
63. The Divine Plan sets for the pattern by means of which humanity may be restored to its intended position and function in the planetary energy system.
64. It is important to realize that the Divine Plan is not accessible simply to the reasoning mind. It is the intuition which truly reveals the nature of the Divine Plan.
65. This means that there is no real accessing of the Divine Plan until the antahkarana has been built and the intuition, therefore, can be accessed.
66. The Divine Plan hovers above human conscious. By means of the intuition it can be precipitated.
67. The Hierarchy, under Aquarius, Taurus and Pisces, is Custodian of the Plan. The diagram above shows the role of Mercury in the precipitation of that which is held in custody.
At this time and in a peculiar manner, the initiate-consciousness sees the Hierarchy as primarily energised by life, and by the energy of Aquarius, carrying a hitherto unknown aspect of the life energy of deity.
68. We know that Aquarius is a sign much associated with electricity and, hence, with “electric fire”—the fire of life.
69. How other types of consciousness might view the Hierarchy we do not know, but the initiate-consciousness when viewing the Hierarchy sees it energized by “life” and by the energy of Aquarius.
70. The “life energy of deity” may be carried in a number of ways—perhaps in twelve ways, each way corresponding to the energy of one of the twelve zodiacal constellations. At this time, it is Aquarius which is intimately associated with the life energy of deity.
71. There have been previous Ages of Aquarius, but the aspect of life energy presently being conveyed by Aquarius is “hitherto unknown”. At least, we may presume that it is hitherto unknown by humanity as a whole.
This is of course difficult for you to comprehend and will only be understood as it truly is at the close of the Aquarian Age.
72. So we have some 2300 years to comprehend what is here said.
The initiate sees
73. We are dealing with what initiate consciousness reveals, for it reveals things as they are.
the New Group of World Servers brought under the illuminating power of Taurus, with the rest of humanity still under the influence of Pisces.
74. In terms of chakric rulership, we will have the New Group of World Servers focusing in the ajna center (representing the ajna center of Sanat Kumara) and the rest of humanity focusing in the throat center or in the solar plexus center. We can gather that Pisces (expressing a strong sixth ray) will stimulate the solar plexus center.
You have, consequently, the "over-shadowing raincloud of knowable things" hovering over humanity, just as the Hierarchy overshadows the New Group and just as the soul overshadows the personality of man;
75. Here is a triple analogy: Hierarchy/New Group of World Servers = Raincloud/Humanity = Soul/Human Personality.
76. Humanity has proven that it is beginning to access the "raincloud of knowable things". The disciples of the world must also prove that they can begin to access that which the Hierarchy can offer if properly invoked.
77. It is up to every advancing individual to learn how to access the soul as the source of his enlightenment.
78. These three processes overlap each other.
you have all the needed illumination and light upon all the coming problems, waiting to precipitate itself through the New Group of World Servers under the influence of Taurus, the nurturer of all illumination,
79. Taurus has also been called the “Mother of Illumination” (EA 511). Of course, archetypally, the “mother” is the “nurturer”. We can see in this relationship the close connection between Taurus and Virgo (the “Mother” and “nurturer”).
80. We can see how Aquarius (the ‘Sign of Abundance’) and Taurus (the ‘Sign of Illumination’) are meant to work together. Taurus, also, suggests the abundance of the cornucopia.
81. That which humanity needs in order to solve its problems waits to be precipitated. It is already present.
82. What does it mean to nurture illumination? Perhaps to disclose the undisclosed. Perhaps, to reveal the Light within light. Perhaps to make it possible for new vibrations to impinge on consciousness. Perhaps to reveal that which is present but unsuspected. Taurus—the ‘Revealer of immanent vibration’.
and you have humanity, at the same time, conditioned and made sensitive by Piscean energy during the past two thousand years.
83. Pisces has brought humanity into a more receptive state—often through much suffering. This was needed before humanity could receive the intended abundance of Aquarius.
You have, therefore, a condition of great spiritual promise,
84. Different conditions appear at different times. Always the energies of various constellations can combine and give results specific to the combination.
85. Taurus characterized the Buddhas as did Pisces. Pisces characterized the Christ as will Aquarius. We have a combination of energies in which the dual influences of the Buddha and the Christ may combine most propitiously.
and in this combination of [Page 230] energies you have present those forces which will implement the activities of the Hierarchy, condition its initiates, affect every Ashram, bring light into the present darkness, and—as can already be seen—stir into new understanding the present Piscean consciousness of mankind.
86. Let us for the sake of impression tabulate the effects of this combination of Aquarian, Taurean and Piscean energies:
i. Aquarius.—The Light that shines on Earth, across the sea. This is the light which ever shines within the dark and cleansing with its healing rays that which must be purified until the dark has gone.
ii. Taurus.—The penetrating Light of the Path. This is a beam of light, streaming forth from the point in Aries, and revealing the area of light control.
iii. Pisces—The Light of the World. This is the light, revealing the light of life itself. It ends for ever the darkness of matter. (EA 329)
87. It is clear that there is great promise in this combination.
88. Where do we as disciples and groups of disciples place ourselves with respect to these energies?
It is in the New Group of World Servers that the training of the needed disciples for the Ashrams of the Masters takes place at this time in world history.
89. It would seem that truly to be a member of the New Group of World Servers, one must be at least an initiate of the second degree. This would make sense as Taurus is a sign (the second zodiacal sign) intimately related to the second initiation.
90. Some members of the New Group of World Servers are initiates and some, perhaps, even initiates of the fourth degree, capable of giving the needed training.
This is a new hierarchical venture. In this group also accepted disciples learn to work in the same manner as does the Hierarchy.
91. Their work is on a lower turn of the spiral but analogous.
92. In the New Group of World Servers, disciples are trained, and accepted disciples learn to work as the Hierarchy works.
93. Hierarchy is ever adaptable and the formation of the New Group of World Servers is a spiritually adventurous adaptation to present world need.
The Hierarchy works within the field of the world of human living; the New Group provides a similar field for the new disciple.
94. Hierarchy reaches both higher and lower than the disciple can.
95. In any case, the New Group of World Servers provides a great field of service for the training and expression of new disciples and even well-established disciples (accepted disciples).
It is towards that group also that initiates in the various Ashrams converge at times, in order to study the calibre and quality of the disciples who are engaged in world salvage, for it is through these disciples that the Hierarchy carries out its plans.
96. The members of the New Group of World Servers (themselves a kind of “eye” for humanity) are under the “Eye” of Hierarchy.
97. “Hint I. . . . The changes brought about in the Hierarchy have been the result of the work of the disciples of the world.” (DINA II 387)
98. Hint III. . . . Disciples in all Ashrams have a task of "modifying, qualifying and adapting the divine Plan" simultaneously. Why is this so? Why is the Plan not imposed? (DINA II 388)
99. Disciples are instrumental in the carrying out of hierarchical purposes. As disciples, we are supervised and our quality judged. Energy is transmitted to us and through us on the basis of this evaluation.
Initiates do their main work upon mental levels and from behind the scenes, and because of this their potency is great; this is particularly so with those who have taken the third initiation.
100. Some initiates who have not taken the third initiation (i.e., probationary initiates) also work behind the scenes, but obviously with less power.
101. It is fascinating to realize that work behind the scenes is equated with the possibility of greater potency.
102. Apparently, to work behind the scenes, is to work in a manner relatively unencumbered.
103. Those who have taken the third initiation can work with the souls of men. Lesser initiates must work with the minds of men.
A certain percentage of them are, however, active out in the world of daily living.
104. Those who are thus active are making a considerable sacrifice. We can gather something of the intended sacrifice of the externalizing Masters. They will be much hampered by their direct subjection to physical plane circumstances, yet They are now in training so that They may cope as effectively as possible.
You need ever to remember that at this time the main technique of the Hierarchy is that of conveying inspiration.
105. We cannot pass lightly over this statement. Inspiration is related to the will aspect, the life aspect. To what extent are any of us or our groups capable of conveying inspiration?
106. When inspiration is conveyed, it becomes easier to contact spiritual and even divine sources. The point of tension is heightened and reception of that which is ‘life-giving’ is enhanced.
The Masters are not openly lecturing or teaching in the great cities of the world;
107. Despite what some misguided and overly eager individuals claim…
They work entirely through Their disciples and initiates.
108. They inspire but do not compel.
It will, however, be possible for Them to appear increasingly among men and evoke recognition as the influence of Aquarius is more firmly established.
109. The Masters could not now appear. Their appearance would be premature, and would inadvertently strengthen the forces of retrogression.
110. It is important for us to change our conception of what a Master is. If our image is faulty, we shall not know Who to look for; we will fail in recognition because we will be expecting individuals Who conform to our false image.
The Masters, in the meantime, must continue to work "within the silence of the universal Ashram,"
111. The “universal Ashram” is the Hierarchy. The Aquarian quality of universality is suggested.
as it has been called, and from there They inspire Their workers, and these latter in their time and way, inspire the New Group of World Servers.
112. A kind of hierarchical arrangement is given: the Masters above “Their workers”(who are, no doubt, initiates) who, stand ‘above’ the New Group of World Servers.
113. Always there will be continuity of energy-sharing and distribution.
You will note, therefore, that the effect of Aquarius upon the Hierarchy (as far as you, at your particular point in evolution can determine it) is to bring in the energy of Shamballa which is essentially the energy of life itself, implemented [Page 231] by the will.
114. Aquarius is a sign, we learn, closely associated not only with Hierarchy but with Shamballa.
115. Just as the constellation Scorpio can be associated with the transmission of the first ray, so can Aquarius.
116. If the energy of life is to be implemented (i.e., rendered practical and applied) it must be implemented by the will. Shamballa is responsible for this implementation and the energy of Aquarius assists.
This necessarily has created (and will increasingly create) major adjustments within the Hierarchy itself. The principal type of energy hitherto used by the Hierarchy is—as you well know—the energy of love. Now, to that must be added the energy of the life-giving will.
117. Hierarchy is ever adaptable. We may sometimes tend to think that only humanity is changing or required to change. This is not so. Even Shamballa adapts to planetary circumstance.
118. We note that the energy of the will is “life-giving”. This may tell us something about how to detect whether we are actually using this energy and what results we can expect from its use. It is never meant to suppress life though it may temporarily suppress the freedom of form when that freedom interferes with the freedom of life-expression.
New methods, new approaches to the human problem and new modes of work will have to be tried; experiment with the incoming forces will necessarily be the order of the day, though they will be experiments based upon vast knowledge and implemented with wisdom and understanding.
119. Aquarius (with its potent fifth ray) is a sign of experimentation. The planet usually most associated with Aquarius, Uranus, is, among all the planets, the planet of experimentation.
120. The experiments undertaken by Hierarchy will not be casual or full of unwarranted risk; vast knowledge, wisdom and understanding will be behind them.
121. We note the constant use of the word “new”—a work intimately related to both Aquarius and Uranus.
122. We can understand that even Hierarchy does not yet fully know how to handle the great incoming energies of the constellation Aquarius.
It is the reaction of modern man to the ancient forces which produces the need for care.
123. By the term “ancient forces” DK may not mean the energies of Aquarius (though they are cosmically ancient). He may well mean forces inherent in his physical nature once they are stimulated by the incoming Aquarian energies.
Mankind is oft unpredictable, owing to the factor of free will. It is this which lies behind the training given to disciples, upon which I have already given you much instruction.
124. The Hierarchy is not allowed to compel, to force. In the training given to disciples by the Hierarchy compulsion, also, is not used.
The new techniques and the changed approach from that of individual culture to united group progress will bring about many types of development.
125. The Hierarchy is changing its methods from individual cultivation to group cultivation.
126. Not all the types of development to emerge may be foreseen in detail.
It is this different approach to the same basic problems which lies behind the new capacities which are emerging among disciples;
127. To help solve the problems of humanity, disciples are to apply new techniques. They are equipped with newly emerging capacities which will help them do so.
it is this which enables disciples of experience to work at high speed and with a life potency that is unusual.
128. This is one of the capacities which is emerging for the modern disciple—the capacity to work at high speed and with high potency. Such is the Aquarian stimulation.
129. Aquarius is associated with the life aspect and with the etheric body. We can draw our own conclusions from this association.
I would have all disciples begin to train themselves to respond to the Aquarian energy now pouring into the Hierarchy.
130. Apparently, disciples are not yet fully trained to do so. It will take an act of will, and more, an act of group will.
131. The Aquarian energies are pouring into Hierarchy even more than into humanity. Disciples must stand upon the periphery of the Ashram and use the antahkarana in order to respond in the manner DK suggests.
Some of you can do so as accepted disciples, and as members of my Ashram.
132. This is surprising statement if DK was writing directly to those who were in His group (originally) of twenty-four. All of them were considered accepted disciples.
133. Obviously, membership in an Ashram (as an accepted disciple or initiate) would facilitate the response to Aquarian energies.
Take advantage, therefore, of the opportunity for re-energising that comes to all those who have established contact, via their souls, with the Hierarchy, or who are members of an Ashram, or who, as probationers, are upon the periphery of the great Ashram of Sanat Kumara, the Hierarchy.
134. All these categories of individuals are able to be re-energized by the Ashram.
135. We note that it is not the personality which makes contact with the Hierarchy. Hierarchy can be reached via the soul.
136. The Hierarchy is presently greatly influenced by the Aquarian energy which is a life-giving energy. Those who contact Hierarchy as souls would normally be energized, but the presence of the Aquarian energy pouring through Hierarchy makes the opportunity for re-energizing even more potent.
137. Hierarchy is a great source of Jupiterian supply for those who, as souls, know how to access it. DK is asking us to take advantage of this opportunity.
This Aquarian influence produces mainly the intensifying of the hierarchical relationship to Shamballa, and therefore affects every member of His Ashram, from the Christ down to the most newly accepted disciple.
138. As stated, we usually think that humanity will be the foremost recipient of Aquarian energy. The Hierarchy is even moreso.
139. Accepted disciples are members of an Ashram (even if peripheral members) and are therefore keenly affected by Aquarian energy as it brings the Hierarchy into closer relationship with Shamballa.
140. Due to the great crisis facing humanity and the planet, disciples in the world need to work with added speed and potency. Fortunately the energy necessary for these results is now available in abundance and will only increase as the energies of Aquarius increase in intensity.
It is through the disciples that the New Group of World Servers are brought under the stepped-down Aquarian influences; this has to be an individual matter, largely dependent upon the point of evolution.
141. We are speaking of the disciples who are in a position sufficiently advanced to influence the rank and file members of the New Group of World Servers.
142. Sometimes is seems that one must be at least an initiate of the second degree to be a member of the New Group of World Servers but other references seem to set the standard lower.
143. We can imagine that the potent Aquarian influences must be stepped-down greatly if they are to be safely received by those who stand as disciples.
144. What we are learning is that body of souls who constitute the New Group of World Servers and, therefore, work under Taurus, are influenced by inpouring Aquarian energies from the Hierarchy.
Some members of [Page 232] the New Group of World Servers will not respond in any way; they cannot.
145. This shows us that some members of the New Group of World Servers are not especially advanced disciples. Perhaps they are only men and women of goodwill. There are other references which suggest that members of the New Group of World Servers are to attempt to recognize initiates of the first and second degrees. If they did not stand at a relatively advanced level of discipleship, this recognition would not be possible for them.
Others will respond as fully as their spiritual status permits.
146. One cannot pour an ocean into a thimble. Our capacity defines the limits of reception.
This inflow of Aquarian energy is one of the factors which will enable the Christ to complete His task as World Saviour and World Teacher;
147. The timing of His Reappearance is dependent on the assistance (albeit unconscious) of the Lord of the Constellation Aquarius.
148. The Christ will obviously need a great infusion of the will and of the energy of life and “life more abundantly” to complete what He intends.
it will also enable Him to take the initiation which lies immediately ahead of Him and for which He has been preparing for close upon three thousand years—so exalted and peculiar an initiation it is.
149. This initiation seems to be the seventh, yet three thousand years ago, the Christ had not even taken the sixth initiation. In any case, we are told that, as things now stand, the Great Lord has not yet completed the seventh initiation.
150. Of course when we speak of such matters we are merely using words to denote something of which we can have no real comprehension.
151. DK has described the nature of the seventh initiation (but perhaps He had not yet done so when He wrote this section of text). The word “peculiar” is interesting as it seems to indicate something unique about the initiation which the Christ is preparing to take.
152. A preparation period of three thousand years would indicate that preparation for it had begun when the Christ was not yet the World Teacher (which He became, so we are told, some two thousand five hundred years ago).
It is this influence also which has enabled the Master R. to assume the mantle of the Mahachohan and become the Lord of Civilisation—a civilisation which will be conditioned by the rhythm of the seventh ray.
153. It may simply be a coincidence that when the Master R. was Lord Francis Bacon, His horoscope was intensely conditioned by the sign Aquarius. Perhaps then He appeared as the forerunner of the Aquarian Age—certainly in relation to the knowledge aspect of that Age.
154. We have been told that only recently did the Master R. assume this mantle—perhaps at the time of the Centennial Conclave of 1925.
155. It would not be unreasonable to think that Master R. has a very deep resonance with the energies of the sign Aquarius and that, consequently, the Door opened to Him at a time when the energies of Aquarius were increasing in potency.
Incidentally, it is this Aquarian influence which has given the adepts of the Black Lodge the power to bring universal death throughout the world.
156. The energies of Aquarius are distributive. Both good and evil energies are shared.
157. We have seen how the adepts of the Black Lodge attempted to do this during the Great War of 1914-1945. It would seem that they are not yet satisfied with their efforts.
These evil beings have responded to the will energy of Shamballa and to the life-giving vitality, but have used it in keeping with their own evil intentions and with the power conferred by their standing upon the cosmic ladder of evil. Hence the war.
158. Energy, we know, is neutral. The quality of the recipient form determines the manner (good or evil) in which the energy received will be expressed.
159. We may gather that it is possible to rise quite ‘high’ along this “ladder of evil”. We cannot speculate where the ladder ends, but end it must, as that which relates to an old program of effort cannot be allowed to supplant the present program.
160. The Great War took place for many reasons, but without the prompting of the Black Lodge would not have occurred in a form so severe and so threatening to the future of humanity.
I only mention this as a striking example of the oft misunderstood fact that the same energy or identical force will produce results within the consciousness of a Christ or within the consciousness of anti-Christ.
161. Here it is implied that the energy of the Black Lodge is the energy of the “anti-Christ”.
162. Elsewhere, this idea is given a modified treatment.
Christ and anti-Christ are the dualities of spirituality and materialism, both in the individual and in humanity as a whole. Or you can speak of God and the Devil with the same basic implications. For what is man himself but an expression of divinity (God) in a material form (the Devil), and what is matter but the medium through which divinity must eventually manifest in all its glory? But when that takes place, matter will no longer be a controlling factor but simply a medium of expression. (EXH 137)
The second ray aspirant who builds his Dweller and permits its steady and increasing control becomes a "deluder of souls". He is the true Anti-Christ, and through false teaching and the working of so-called miracles, through hypnotism and mass suggestion he draws a veil over the world and forces men to walk in the great illusion. It is interesting to note that the work of the Devil, the imprisoner of souls, is beginning to lose its power, for the race is on the verge of understanding that true death is immersion in form, and that matter is but a part of the divine whole. The thought form of this "Dweller on the Threshold" which humanity has built for millions of years is on the verge of destruction. But the work of Anti-Christ is only rising now to its height, and the delusion of riches, of possession, of false teaching will increasingly hold sway but the term of the delusion will be shorter than the term of destruction, for all these factors function under their own cycles and have their own ebb and flow. (TWM 240)
I should like here to give a suggestion, for it is necessary that some of the methods of the Hierarchy should begin to be understood. The work of what in the West is called "the Christ Principle" is to build the forms for the expression of quality and life. That is the characteristic work of the second aspect of divinity. The work of the Antichrist is to destroy forms, and this is essentially the work of the first expression of divinity. But the work of the destroyer is not the work of black magic, and when ignorant humanity regards Antichrist as working on the black side, their error is great. His work is as beneficent as that of the building aspect, and it is but man's [Page 75] hatred of the death of forms which makes him regard the work of the destroyer as "black," as being against the divine will, and as subversive of the divine programme. The work of the representatives of that mysterious power which we call cosmic evil, and their responding representatives, is indeed worthy of the word "black"; but it is not applicable to the work of Antichrist. It might be added that the work of the black forces wells up from below, whilst the work of the destroyers is impelled from above. The symbols of these two ways are the sword and the cross. (EP I 74-75)
It is the same energy, but the forms upon which it plays differ so vastly that in one case the will-to-good is intensified, and in the others the will-to-evil. Energy per se is entirely impersonal.
163. This is the main point and upon it all who would become spiritual occultists must ponder.
The group, therefore, which "serves as Aquarius indicates" is the Hierarchy;
164. For disciples, the Hierarchy is to be considered the archetypal Aquarian group.
165. When we begin to form groups which can become consciously, ashramically responsive, we too can begin to “serve as Aquarius indicates”.
the group which is "speeded upon the upward Way" is the New Group of World Servers. This group is ruled by Taurus, and to it that divine Taurian energy brings "illumination and the attainment of the vision." This group is, figuratively speaking, the "bull, rushing forward upon a straight line with its one eye fixed upon the goal and beaming light."
166. This phrase from the Old Commentary is magnificently descriptive of Taurus.
167. We may have noted that there is much to connect the nature and dynamics of the two signs Taurus and Sagittarius. The “straight line” here given is shared by both Sagittarius and Taurus.
168. The “rush” of the Bull is characteristic of descriptions of Taurus in occultism but not so much found in more exoteric descriptions.
169. Given the Taurean rulership of the New Group of World Servers, we can imagine that Wesak is a time of special stimulation for this group.
But what is that goal? It is not the goal of Self-illumination, for that lies far behind; it is the goal of providing a centre of light within the world of men and of holding up the vision to the sons of men.
170. The New Group of World Servers is a selfless group. It is filled with those who have attained some degree of illumination, individually. Its objective is the illumination of humanity.
171. Let us list the two specific objectives of the New Group of World Servers:
172. If we suppose that we are members of this group, we have to ask ourselves to what extent we participate in the fulfillment of these objectives.
Let this never be forgotten, and let the New Group of [Page 233] World Servers realise its mission and recognise the demands of humanity upon it.
173. Three great demands are added by the group to its “application”. These demands occur in Rule II for Disciples and Initiates. It is not out of place to correlate the substance of Rule II with the sign Taurus—a sign of the Word and of demand.
174. Humanity makes its demands of the New Group of World Servers and the New Group makes its demands of the Higher Powers (of Hierarchy)—demands for triadal energy which is to be applied in the lower worlds.
175. The fact that the highest form of “aspirational idealism” is found in Taurus has a definite relation to the nature and mission of the New Group of World Servers. The New Group can hold the vision of the ideal before the eyes of men and offer humanity an impelling spiritual incentive towards spiritual unfoldment.
What are these demands? Let me enumerate them, and then let me ask you to take them in all simplicity and act upon them.
176. We are examining the practical demands which humanity places upon the New Group of World Servers.
1. To receive and transmit illumination from the kingdom of souls.
177. The New Group of World Servers is to act as a ‘Light Bearer’ and a ‘Transmitter of Light’.
2. To receive inspiration from the Hierarchy and go forth, consequently, to inspire.
178. Inspiration can be ‘passed-down’ from Hierarchy to the New Group of World Servers. Human beings are deeply in need of the inspiring life energy. It makes all things possible. The members of the New Group of World Servers can receive this in some measure, according to their capacity.
179. When inspiration pours in, it is answered by aspiration—the desire to move on and up. Humanity, so easily attached to unrealities, needs this.
3. To hold the vision of the Plan before the eyes of men, for "where there is no vision, the people perish."
180. Thus to hold the vision is ‘life-giving’. Humanity must be offered an incentive—a spiritual incentive, even a divine incentive—to plan life in accordance with the Divine Plan.
181. To present an inspiring vision—this is a definite requirement.
4. To act as an intermediate group between the Hierarchy and humanity, receiving light and power and then using both of these, under the inspiration of love, to build the new world of tomorrow.
182. The New Group of World Servers, under Taurus, is a building group.
183. They are to convey all three energies—Light, Love and Power—to a needy humanity. To do this, the New Group must hold its position as ‘spiritual intermediary’. It is assisted in this role by the energy of the fourth ray which also characterizes its nature and expression.
184. When we think of the theme of building for the future, we see the union of the energies of both Vulcan and Uranus (the first ruling Taurus and the second, Aquarius).
185. From the chakric perspective, it is as if the ajna center is intermediate between the throat and the heart center. It is certainly so that the ajna is intermediate between the heart in the head and the throat center.
5. To toil in Pisces, illumined by Taurus and responsive in degree to the Aquarian impulse coming from the Hierarchy.
186. This the synthetic role of the New Group of World Servers—the “one, two three” of their intended work.
187. They can be at least somewhat responsive to the Aquarian impulse about which so much is said and so little understood.
188. The Aquarian Age is by now a popularized ideal. For all that, its deeper aspects are hardly understood—even by disciples.
These objectives are not only individual objectives, but the goal for the entire group.
189. We might say that the listed objectives are especially the goal for entire groups.
190. No wonder the disciples of the world are to look to the Wesak Festival (under Taurus) as the highpoint of inspiration for the entire spiritual year.
All who respond to the life-giving force of Aquarius and to the light-giving force of Taurus can and will work in the New Group of World Servers, even though they have no occult knowledge and have never heard of their co-workers under that name. Forget this not.
191. The New Group is a subjective group. The personnel need not know each other outwardly. Membership depends upon response to subtle energy and rightful use of that energy.
192. In Aquarius we have life. In Taurus we have light. In Pisces we have love. Pisces is the major second ray sign in relation to our solar system.
193. Students of occultism tend to become exclusive as they judge who might be in the New Group and who might not. Such lack of inclusivity only reveals their limitations.
Recognition of the successful work of the New Group of World Servers will be accorded by the Hierarchy, and the testimony of the recognition will be the appearing of a symbol in the aura of the group—of the entire group.
194. The Higher Powers have Their signatures. A symbol is not simply a designatory sign. It is a recipient and conveyer of power.
195. Obviously, we are in very early days. The New Group has only been in existence some seventy-five years perhaps. Its period of real effectiveness has not yet arrived.
This will be a symbol projected by the Hierarchy, specifically by the Christ. What that symbol will be it is not for me to say. It is not yet fully earned, and only its dim and uncertain outline can be seen from the level on which the Masters work, and not at all from the level on which the group itself works.
196. When the symbol is projected or appears, it will represent an empowerment of the New Group. Its purpose is not simply identificatory.
197. We do note that the symbol has been somewhat earned, though far from fully so.
198. We see that it does not appear all at once even though it is projected by the Christ and His Hierarchy. Already, its dim outlines are somewhat visible.
199. The uncertainty of its outlines will disappear as the purpose of the New Group is better expressed.
It is "the mark of a Saviour" and it will embody the mark or indication (the signature as medieval occultists used to call it) of a new type of salvation or salvage.
200. Humanity (and the planet) must be “saved”; of this there is no doubt. But how will it be saved? Not by old Piscean methods.
201. One element in this newer method of salvation is ‘group salvage’—the salvaging of groups of individuals by groups.
202. When the symbol appears a higher aspect of the Piscean energy will be available to this Taurean group. May we say that as the Buddha and the Christ make Their cooperative mission better known to humanity, the energies of Pisces and Taurus will combine and the symbol will appear with greater certitude?
Up till now the mark of the Saviour has been the Cross, and the quality of the salvation offered has been freedom from substance [Page 234] or the lure of matter and from its hold—a freedom only to be achieved at a great cost.
203. This story of salvation is familiar to us. It is of fundamental importance but its days are numbered, due to the incoming of new energies.
204. This mode has been characterized by the interplay of the signs Pisces and Virgo—both related to the sixth and second rays and both involving Spirit-Matter.
The future holds within its silence other modes of saving humanity. The cup of sorrow and the agony of the Cross are well-nigh finished. Joy and strength will take their place. Instead of sorrow we shall have a joy which will work out in happiness and lead eventually to bliss. We shall have a strength which will know naught but victory and will not recognise disaster.
205. This is a marvellous prophecy! The sequence of happiness, joy, bliss is promising in the extreme. We certainly have not even achieved happiness.
206. What used to be called “disaster” may come, but it will not be recognized as disaster. There will be a fundamental detachment from the phantasmagoria of glamor and illusion.
207. There is a hint that the joyful individual is strong. This tells us something about how energy may be accessed through a proper state of soul-fused mind.
Even the Black Lodge knew of this change in the mode of salvation, and hastily founded its groups of youths, banded together by the motto "joy through strength and strength through joy."
208. A likely counterfeit and almost effective! It is being repeated today in a major country which has again turned towards non-democratic ways. The “youth” can be moulded to suit the objective of persuasive demagogues.
209. This powerful motto utilized by the Black Lodge will only work towards the good if ego is conquered. However, the entire Black Lodge attack preceding and during the Second World War was based precisely on egoism and its still more dangerous equivalent, nationalism fueled by another kind of egoism, racism.
It seems to be a law for group development to receive recognition from the side of evil, prior to that recognition coming from the good.
210. Is it a law or is it simply human ignorance which decides the trend?
211. Those who respond to the Black Lodge are often upon the hard line rays—especially the first ray, upon which the majority of Black Lodge Masters can be found.
212. Those who respond to the White Lodge are more conditioned by the second ray which is slower to act.
But "after weeping cometh joy, and that joy cometh in the morning." Only the dawn is with us as yet—the dawn of the Aquarian Age. The full tide of light is inevitably moving upon its way towards us.
are still experiencing the dawn.
214. This mantram is one of great heartening—"after weeping cometh joy, and that joy cometh in the morning." It tells us something about the “Dark Night of the Soul” and its expected aftermath.