28 Rules Group
Commentary on Rule XII Part I of V
(All Highlighting, Bolding and Underlining—MDR)
Please read this Commentary with your book open or with reference to an electronic copy of the text. This will facilitate an appreciation of continuity.
The Rule which we have now to consider carries us into realms of extra-planetary energy, into a world of a larger consciousness towards which the higher initiates strive
1. These are initiates of minimally the fourth degree and that towards which They strive is the "Way of Higher Evolution".
and which is related in a peculiar way to both the past and the future.
2. We shall see how Master DK unfolds this idea.
This rule might also be called the formula controlling the work of the New Group of World Servers.
3. This is the twelfth Rule and the New Group of World Servers is a serving saving group. Pisces (the twelfth sign) is the sign of salvation. Taurus, which is the sign ruling the New Group is the twelfth sign proceeding in clockwise order.
4. The second degree (which is the degree characteristic of the great majority of members of the New Group of World Servers) is a reflection of the fourth degree.
The three remaining rules for initiates and disciples are concerned with the work of the New Age and the coming revelation which will make that work both new and possible. They are therefore of supreme importance to us.
5. These are Rules for the future and concern the greater groups—the New Group of World Servers and especially, the Spiritual Hierarchy.
Step by step, in the eleven rules already studied, we have seen the initiate or disciple carried from his position as an accepted disciple standing before the Angel of the Presence, to that point of attainment where the spiritual will is released in full service and with full comprehension at the time of the fourth initiation, where atma or pure spirit is in control, where the Spiritual Triad is expressing the nature of the Monad, where identification with the purpose of deity has transcended illumination of the mind, and has also transcended cooperation through pure love with the Plan.
6. If we have wondered for whom the Rules apply and at what point of development and individual or group of individuals could begin using them, this question is clarified in this section of text. Those who can apply these Rules with some hope of success must begin the process as “accepted disciples”. Their spiritual status may change as they continue to learn about the Rules and succeed in applying some of the later ones, but they begin, minimally, as “accepted disciples”.
7. This does not mean that those who are not accepted disciples cannot benefit from meditation upon these Rules and their study, but the Rules are meant for those who, minimally, stand on the periphery of some Ashram as accepted disciples.
8. How far have we progressed in the study of eleven Rules?
a. The spiritual will has been released in full service at the fourth initiation
b. The spiritual will has been released in full comprehension at the fourth initiation
c. Atma or pure spirit is in control
d. The spiritual triad is expressing the nature of the Monad
e. Identification with Deity has transcended illumination of the mind
f. Identification with Deity has transcended cooperation through pure love with the Plan
9. We can see that the Rules thus far have carried us far, very far, along the way—at least theoretically. There is no way that a student or group of students (unless considerably advanced) can attain in the manner described in just a few short years of meditation and study.
These words are all attempts to indicate the path of progress which is—to the initiate consciousness—the necessary preparatory stage to treading the Path of the Higher Evolution, just as the Probationary Path is the necessary preparatory stage to being accepted into an Ashram.
10. The analogy holds, no matter what the level of spiritual attainment.
11. There is always a preparatory stage and a subsequent stage of achievement.
12. The first eleven Rules represent a kind of “path of progress” which will prepare the advanced initiate to look ahead towards treading the Path of Higher Evolution.
13. We are reminded, further, that no disciple is accepted into an Ashram (as an accepted disciple) unless he has trodden the Probationary Path. There is always a process of testing.
Briefly, the eleven rules already dealt with might be regarded as controlling the conscious activity of the initiate in the following stages and relationships.
14. This is an extremely important summary. It is easy to lose one’s way in these abstruse studies. Clear points of summarization are always helpful.
1. The stage of the burning ground and the establishment of illumined group relation. This is revealed by the mind, functioning as an aspect of the group mind.
15. Within the fire of mind, focused within the head's clear light, let the group stand. The burning ground has done its work. The clear cold light shines forth and cold it is and yet the heat—evoked by the group love—permits the warmth of energetic moving out. Behind the group there stands the Door. Before them opens out the Way. Together let the band of brothers onward move—out of the fire, into the cold, and toward a newer tension.
16. The stage of individualism is overcome. The burning ground has created the possibility of a new level of group interplay. The individual mind represents the group mind, and the apparently individual soul represents the group soul. There is an illuminating interplay between all levels of the mind.
17. Further, the group mind can now serve as the organ of the increasingly appreciated group soul.
2. The stage of ashramic recognition and the establishing of a forward-moving group rhythm; these reciprocal activities produce a needed group tension.
18. The Word has now gone forth from the great point of tension: Accepted as a group. Withdraw not now your application. You could not, if you would; but add to it three great demands and forward move. Let there be no recollection and yet let memory rule. Work from the point of all that is within the content of the group's united life.
19. The Tibetan is describing the Rules in new ways giving different insights to the ones gathered when the Rules were fully elaborated.
20. The Rules have multiple levels interpretation and enactment. The second Rule can be applied to ashramic recognition and also to Shamballic recognition.
21. The group sustains the point of tension necessary to keep it en rapport with the Ashram (considering the Ashram as the Hierarchy). The group becomes a truly serving group and moves forward relying upon the entirety of its spiritual resources. Through ashramic recognition and a potent moving forward in service the group sustains the necessary point of tension which relates it closely to the Ashram.
22. Eventually, the group relation will be to Shamballa. This is already hinted in Rule VII.
3. The stage of emitting the group sound and the establishing of the power to invoke divinity, followed by a united group realisation that "God is Fire."
23. Dual the moving forward. The Door is left behind. That is a happening of the past. Let the cry of invocation issue forth from the deep centre of the group's clear cold light. Let it evoke response from the bright centre, lying far ahead. When the demand and the response are lost in one great SOUND, move outward from the desert, leave the seas behind and know that God is Fire.
24. The invocation of “divinity” signifies the invocation of the Spirit aspect. The group is moving more deeply into the spiritual triad and, coming in touch with the Will aspect, is coming to the realisation that “God is Fire”.
25. There is a measure of atmic realization here, which is fitting, as this is the third rule resonant to the third or atmic plane.
26. The group sound emitted in the third Rule becomes the Word in Rule XI—the Word which, nurtured by the Master and the Ashram facilitates the destruction of the causal body by the group.
4. The stage of extinguishing the lesser fires through the means of the above realisation, and the establishing of a defined group reaction to the divine purpose or will; this results eventually in the negation of the Laws of Karma and Rebirth as they condition life in the three worlds.
27. Let the group see that all the eighteen fires die down and that the lesser lives return unto the reservoir of life. This they must bring about through the evocation of the Will. The lesser wheels must not for aye revolve in time and space. Only the greater Wheel must onward move and turn.
28. The realization that “God is Fire” extinguishes preoccupation with and expression of the lesser fires. The group begins to understand Divine Purpose and Will and attempts to live accordingly—gradually succeeding. This mode of living substitutes will/purpose for desire; karma in the three worlds is balanced. Freedom from the need to incarnate is achieved.
29. We see that a number of factors resonant to the number four are suggested in this fourth Rule.
5. The stage of triadal perception and the establishing of spiritual contact, thus negating both the life of form and the soul. Duality is no longer recognised.
30. In unison let the group perceive the Triad shining forth, dimming the light of the soul and blotting out the light of form. The macrocosmic Whole is all there is. Let the group perceive that Whole and then no longer use the thought "My soul and thine."
31. The spiritual triad is the true soul or Ego, and yet it is not. Polarization of consciousness within the spiritual triad negates the influence of form and soul and substitutes non-dual perception—the perception of one who lives within the revealed Oneness of the spiritual triad.
32. The fifth Rule suggest the mode of perception which ‘un-shrouds’ the soul.
6. The stage of identification with the life aspect and the establishing of complete divine integration into the greater Whole. The initiate then moves onward in life and not in consciousness—a concept and a truth which it is not possible for you to understand at this time.
33. Let the group know that life is one and naught can ever take or touch that life. Let the group know the vivid, flaming, drenching Life that floods the fourth when the fifth is known. The fifth feeds on the fourth. Let then the group—merged in the fifth—be nourished by the sixth and seventh and realise that all the lesser rules are rules in time and space and cannot hold the group. It onward moves in life.
34. DK know for whom He is writing. It is expected that there will be groups which can understand the real meaning of Rule VI, but those groups do not yet exist.
35. Rule V took us the perception of the spiritual triad and an identification with triadal states of perception. Rule VI takes us even further. The group establishes an identification with life. Not only is the macrocosm perceived and recognized, but the group finds itself increasingly integrated into that macrocosm—in this case the life of the Planetary Logos. The group, onward moving in life, intensifies its participation in the Oneness it now experiences as factual. The experience of identification with and as the One intensifies.
36. Monadic realizations are precipitating into the group consciousness and the group begins to touch the life streams of the sixth and seventh kingdom of nature.
7. The stage of a group sounding-forth of the Word and establishing direct relation with Shamballa as an integral part of the Hierarchy. This means the enunciation of a dual chord.
37. Let the group life emit the Word of invocation and thus evoke response within those distant Ashrams where move the Chohans of the race of men. They are no longer men as are the Masters but having passed beyond that lesser stage, have linked Themselves with the Great Council in the highest Secret Place. Let the group sound a dual chord, reverberating in the halls where move the Masters but finding pause and prolongation within those radiant halls where move the Lights which carry out the Will of God.
38. Hierarchy is an integral part of Shamballa and the group (now an accepted group) has become an integral part of Hierarchy. The group is living simultaneously a hierarchical life and a life reflective of Shamballa. The influence of the group extends (however slightly) to the Courts of Shamballa.
39. The group is no longer living only the life of the soul (as high a life as that may be), the life of the Spirit is now influential. A dual chord (Spirit and soul) is sounded.
8. The stage of responding to the higher aspects of the seven Ray Lives and establishing contact with the Three and the One. This is done under the Law of the Supplementary Seven.
40. Let the group find within itself response to the greater seven groups which carry out the hierarchical will with love and understanding. The group contains all seven, the perfect group. The lesser seven, the greater seven and the planetary seven form one great whole, and these the group must know. When this is realised and the Law of the Supplementary Seven is understood let the group understand the Three and then the ONE. This they can do with the united breath and the unified rhythm.
41. From an intra-planetary perspective, the higher aspects of the Ray Lives are focused in Shamballa, into which the group influence has penetrated. The group is in line to participate in the flow of life emanating from the great planetary Septenates. It is participating in the life of the Spirit for “the Law of the Supplementary Seven is the great synthetic Law of Life or of Spirit…” The group participates in the Divine Circulatory Flow connecting Shamballa, Hierarchical and Humanity. It reaches towards the understanding of one of the Great Logoi (one of the three Persons of the Solar Logoic Trinity) Who holds our planet and two other planets in the same relation to itself, as Shamballa, Hierarchical and Humanity are held in relation to our Planetary Logos.
42. In order to understand Rule VIII and the Rules following, one must be at least an initiate of the third degree and, even then, the understanding will not be complete.
9. The stage of spiritual negation, as it is called. This establishes a new affirmative attitude and results in a recognition of the true nature of the One Initiator.
43. Let the group know there are no other selves. Let the group know there is no colour, only light; and then let darkness take the place of light, hiding all difference, blotting out all form. Then—at the place of tension, and at that darkest point—let the group see a point of clear cold fire, and in the fire (right at its very heart) let the One Initiator appear Whose star shone forth when the Door first was passed.
44. The group learns actually to negate form and soul and comes into a new relationship with the One Initiator as the Representative of Spirit. The One Initiator appears to the initiate, not merely as a “Star” or an “Eye”, but “face to face”. The higher reaches of this Rule take us to the fifth degree at which such an encounter becomes possible.
10. The stage of the dissipation of all veils and the establishing of the power to work with light energy, thus earning the reward of new utilised ability, i.e., the ability to work with the consciousness aspect in all forms.
45. The rules for work within the veils of maya are known and have been used. Let the group widen all the rents within those veils and thus let in the light. Let the Army of the Voice be no more heard and let the brothers onward move within the Sound. Then let them know the meaning of the O.M. and let them hear that O.M. as it is sounded forth by Him Who stands and waits at the very centre of the Council Chamber of the Lord.
46. This ability to work within the systemic ethers comes to those who are polarizing themselves within the triadal worlds—i.e., within the cosmic ethers. The group, responsive to the Law of the Supplementary Seven becomes an effective agent in promoting the Divine Circulatory Flow. The group becomes an ‘Agent of the Light’ and can bring light to dark places thus enhancing the reach and quality of consciousness.
47. The group (now wielding to some extent the Will and Power aspect of divinity) works as a beneficent, destroying force.
11. The stage where the potencies of the death aspect of divine purpose can be used to carry out divine purpose, plus the establishing of complete identification (as a group) with the divine will. This marks the period of the Great [Page 227] Renunciation and prefaces the complete transition out of the Fourth Creative Hierarchy, the human kingdom.
48. Let the group together move the fire within the Jewel in the Lotus into the Triad and let them find the Word which will carry out that task. Let them destroy by their dynamic Will that which has been created at the midway point. When the point of tension is reached by the brothers at the fourth great cycle of attainment, then will this work be done.
49. The group has been carrying out Divine Purpose to the best of its ability, but had not yet achieved the ability to work with the “potencies of the death aspect” to enhance its effectiveness. Now these powers are released to bring freedom from the “shroud of the soul” (i.e., the causal body) and to open the portal to a new area of established polarization—the spiritual triad.
50. This Rule can make of the group a truly liberated group, focused deeply within the Ashram.
This is a brief and inadequate summation of the more general and the more easily comprehended results of obedience to these rules.
51. There are always deeper possibilities. These Rules are the study of a life-time—more than one life time.
52. Only those who, together apply the Rules (and successfully so) will understand even these more general results. As for the deeper results, their achievement will be a great group discipline.
53. Perhaps some of the possible results are rising above the horizon of consciousness—at least for theoretical consideration.
The initiate stands free and becomes consequently a dynamic factor within the working Hierarchy.
54. The initiate is no longer simply a recipient of hierarchical impulses; he is one who generates them.
55. We have heard of the “working disciple”. It is also necessary to realize that one can never be an initiate unless one is a “working initiate” who is a member of the “working Hierarchy”.
56. By “work” is meant the overcoming of present patterns and their reconfiguration through the expenditure of energy. Work, in this context, means change—change for the better.
Rule XII now becomes clear to him, not only through the realisation induced by his illumined mind, but through the higher divine qualities which are related to the expression of the will and purpose of the planetary Logos.
57. Mental realization of the content of any Rule is a necessary preliminary stage.
58. Beyond illumination lies identification with the will and purpose of the Planetary Logos. Only in this manner can the group move onward in Life.
It will of course be obvious to you that only those who have reached the stages of work described in Rules X and XI will truly comprehend my meaning.
59. These are individuals and groups who are directly receptive to the spiritual triad and, later, polarized within that triad.
I would warn you again that the obvious significance of the remaining three rules is not in reality the true spiritual significance because we are in these rules dealing with the planned work of the Hierarchy during the next great cycle, that of the Aquarian Age,
60. In order to express the last three Rules one must actually be a Member of Hierarchy. The Rules (however ancient they may be) have to do with the development of group work during the Aquarian Age. This Rule, in particular, foretells the work of the Spiritual Hierarchy during the coming Age. One might wonder whether Rule XII also has a bearing upon the hierarchical work to be performed during the greater Age of Aquarius lasting some 25,000 year and beginning (though we cannot know the exact time) imminently.
we shall therefore be considering those activities and plans which will usher in and mature that new culture and civilisation which will slowly come into being when the world has straightened itself out after the processes of the world war (1914-1945).
61. If the world “has straightened itself out” it will mean that it has come into effective alignment with energies which are far higher than the ones it is accustomed to receiving.
62. Has this really and effectively happened? Certainly an attempt has been made and many millions have benefited form the reception of down-flowing spiritual energies? Has the reception been sufficient to avert impending human and planetary disaster? Time will tell.