Fellowship of Cosmic Fire
Commentary Semester IX Section X
TCF 1166-1173 : S9S10 Part I
Most of the Tibetan’s text is put in font 16, to provide better legibility when projected during classes. Footnotes and references from other AAB Books and from other pages of TCF are put in font 14. Commentary appears in font 12. Underlining, Bolding and Highlighting by MDR)
It is suggested that this Commentary be read with the TCF book handy, for the sake of continuity. As analysis of the text is pursued, many paragraphs are divided, and the compact presentation in the book, itself, will convey the overall meaning of the paragraph. So please read an entire paragraph and then study the Commentary
1. We now enter a very important section dealing with occult law. Upon occult law the workings of our planet, our solar system and our cosmos are based.
THE LAW OF ATTRACTION
I. The Subsidiary laws.
1. Law of Chemical Affinity.
2. This is largely attraction within the field of matter. Of course, there must also be etheric, astral and mental chemistry, but usually when we speak of “chemical affinity” we are dealing with atoms of what is conventionally regarded as material substance.
2. Law of Progress.
3. Progress (i.e., movement from present conditions to conditions more resembling archetypal patterns) occurs because of the great drawing power of the second ray of Love-Wisdom. One could say that archetypes are magnetic.
3. Law of Sex.
4. This is one of the great laws obviously related to the Law of Attraction. It involves, as we all realize, attraction between the poles. As we usually understand it, it is active in relation to the lower four kingdoms.
4. Law of Magnetism.
5. The Law of Attraction is inseparable from the Law of Magnetism. We know that the Law of Attraction (and Repulsion) is largely a second ray law. We have also been told that magnetism is as much a first ray phenomenon as one related to the second ray. It will be interesting to see how Master DK treats this distinction.
5. Law of Radiation.
6. When the Law of Attraction has done its work, the configurations completed are archetypal in nature and thus radiant.
6. Law of the Lotus.
7. We will look for DK’s specific method of describing this law. We know that lotuses unfold (a great symbol of the unfoldment of consciousness) and that this unfoldment proceeds once the qualities and energies needed are magnetically gathered into the right configuration.
7. Law of Colour.
8. The phenomenon of color is specifically related to the fourth ray and the Law of Attraction to the second ray. The fourth and second rays are intimately related, just as harmony and unity are related.
8. Law of Gravitation.
9. We can understand the direct connection here. Gravitation is a direct expression of the Law of Attraction; in space bodies are drawn together (yet also repelled).
9. Law of Planetary Affinity.
10. If one is an astrologer, one understands this law on an elementary level. Certain planets have a natural affinity for each other and others an antipathy. Yet all, because they are all the members of a ‘solar group’, have a deep level of affinity.
11. Venus and Neptune, for instance, have a strong affinity. Mercury and Uranus also. Mars and Pluto also. But Saturn and Jupiter are in a way, opposites, as are Saturn and Neptune and even Saturn and Uranus (though here affinity can be more easily found.)
10. Law of Solar Unity. [full extent of this commentary]
12. Nothing more is said of this law, but we can imagine that through its effects all B/beings within our solar system are held together coherently and, finally, in complete mutual support and enhancement.
13. The following laws will be dealt with in Semester 9 Section 11.
11. Law of the Schools. [see S9S11]
II. Its Effects.
2. Form Building.
3. Adaptation of form to life.
4. Group Unity.
III. Group Relations.
1. Three atomic relations.
2. Seven laws of group work.
3. Twenty-two methods of interplay.
This law is, as we know, the basic law of all manifestation, and the paramount law for this solar system.
14. We are speaking of the Law of Attraction. Since our solar system is profoundly a second ray solar system (perhaps the final monadic ray of the Solar Logos is the second ray) we can see why the Law of Attraction is paramount for our Solar Logos.
15. This means, of course, that no matter what may be our individual monadic ray, it must, in this solar system, be considered subsidiary to the Law of Attraction and to the great Second Ray of Love-Wisdom.
It might strictly be called the Law of Adjustment or of Balance,
16. Something of the sign Libra seems implicated as well as a certain suggestion of the third ray in the term “Adjustment”.
17. Libra is, in many ways, a sign transmitting the second ray and so can be closely related to the second ray Law of Attraction.
for it conditions that aspect of electrical phenomena which we call neutral.
18. This type of electrical phenomenon occupies the midway point between positive and negative electrical phenomena. ‘Neutral’ electricity is not yet understood, the Tibetan tells us. Probably when the nature of solar fire is better understood there will also come an understanding of this intermediary type of electricity.
19. It appears that ‘neutral electricity’ (if we can rightfully call it that) balances and equilibrates the relationship between positive and negative electricity.
20. One wonders, since electrical phenomena are based on the relation between the poles, whether the star “Electra” in the Pleiades is not an expression of the Law of Attraction and the second ray.
The Law of Economy is the basic law of one pole, that of the negative aspect;
21. This is the material pole. The Law of Economy characterized systemic processes in the previous incarnation of our Solar Logos, i.e., in the previous solar system.
the Law of Synthesis is the basic law of the positive pole,
22. This is the law which will characterize the solar system to come—the next incarnation of our Solar Logos. Under the Law of Synthesis we can expect culminative results in that system—if any of us actually participate in it. It is suggested that those whose monadic ray is the first are now forming a kind of ‘seed-group’ for developments in that system. Naturally, this cannot apply to all first ray Monads.
but the Law of Attraction is the law for the fire which is produced [Page 1167] by the merging during evolution of the two poles.
23. Then did not solar fire pre-exist the merging of the two poles? Is it merely a byproduct of that merging? Or is it the manifestation of solar fire (neutral electricity) through form which occurs as a result of the merging of the two poles?
24. Certainly solar fire and neutral electricity (cosmically considered) pre-existed the merging of the two poles in the constitution of intra-systemic B/beings including man. We must realize that there are many strata of solar fire.
25. It would seem that the great cosmic Second Aspect has been present in universe since its beginning on planes far higher than the cosmic physical.
26. Yet we can also ask if it did not appear when the Universal Father and the Universal Mother merged through a process endlessly beyond our understanding.
From the standpoint of the human being, it is that which brings about the realisation of self-consciousness;
27. For man, it is the Solar Angel which provides the presence of this ‘neutral electricity’ or solar fire—at least in this solar system and on this chain.
28. In an earlier chain, animal man ‘worked his way into’ solar fire through an unconscious aspiration towards the Spirit aspect inherent in his nature.
from the point of view of the subhuman beings it is that which draws all forms of life on to self-realisation;
29. We can see that ‘neutral electricity’ does have a drawing power with respect to the third aspect of divinity through which subhuman beings express.
30. ‘Neutral electricity’ is not neutral in the sense of being inert—such as a neutral element in the periodic table. It would seem that ‘neutral electricity’ is attracted to the positive pole and attracts the negative pole. Through solar fire or 'neutral electricity' the poles are mediated and brought together. We would think that Venus should be a very powerful representative of 'neutral electricity'.
31. Subhuman beings are ‘raised’ towards individualization or initial self-realization. We thus see that the neutrality of 'neutral electricity' does not prevent it from being magnetic.
whilst in connection with the superhuman aspect it may be stated that this law of life expands into the processes conditioned by the higher law of Synthesis, of which the Law of Attraction is but a subsidiary branch.
32. Is the Law of Economy also a subsidiary branch of the Law of Synthesis or is it a subsidiary branch of the Law of Attraction?
33. There is a definite connection between the Law of Attraction and the Law of Synthesis. The results of the Law of Attraction must, however, precede the application of the Law of Synthesis.
34. We see that the work of expansive Jupiter is, in our solar system, involved in the transition from the Law of Attraction to the Law of Synthesis. Jupiter has a powerful second ray and it has also been seriously questioned whether the ultimate monadic ray of Jupiter might not be the first.
35. What is important for us to realize is that the Law of Attraction, if followed wisely, will lead towards synthesis.
36. One difference between the Law of Attraction and the Law of Synthesis is that under the Law of Synthesis difference is hidden and form is blotted out. This is not the case once the Law of Attraction has completed its work. Form still exists, but the relationship between forms is unitive rather than characterized by homogeneity as under the Law of Synthesis.
37. The Law of Synthesis carries a second ray connotation within a first ray context. It creates certain dynamics which express the Law of Attraction on a higher turn of the spiral.
38. It would seem that the Law of Synthesis will reach its apotheosis in the next solar system. Inherently, it is a higher law than the Law of Attraction, yet one wonders whether in this second ray solar system the Law of Attraction might not be preeminent. One would expect that a thorough synthesis is not possible in this system as it will be in the next. In this system it might be more logical to expect a thorough expression of the Law of Attraction.
Strictly speaking, the Law of Attraction is a generic term under which are grouped several other laws similar in nature but diverse in their manifestations.
39. Discrimination will now be needed. Nature may be similar but manifestation distinct.
40. We have to isolate that factor, that common denominator which can be identified as “similar”.
41. It is interesting that laws often spoken of as if they were unitary actually represent a grouping of processes.
It might be useful if we enumerated a few of these laws, thereby enabling the student to get (as he studies them in their totality) a broad general idea as to the Law and its modifications, its spheres of influence and the scope of its activity.
42. We can imagine that the Tibetan’s treatment will not be extremely detailed. We are meant to get an overview.
43. In looking for the distinctions, we will be focusing on
b. Spheres of influence
c. Scope of activity
44. We will be searching for diversity in unity.’
45. As we read A Treatise on Cosmic Fire we are affirmed in the idea that it is very much a treatise on Occult Law.
It should be noted here as a basic proposition in connection with all atoms that the Law of Attraction governs the Soul aspect.
46. By “atoms” DK will mean all the various kinds of atoms He has discussed in this book—even Solar Logoi considered as atoms.
47. The soul is the great attractive factor within our nature.
48. Thus, within out energy system, our soul nature is most representative of the Law of Attraction.
The Law of Economy is the law of the negative electron; the Law of Synthesis is the Law of the positive central life;
49. Shall we call this “positive central life” the “proton”? Or is it something still more?
whilst the Law of Attraction governs that which is produced by the relation of these two,
50. What is produced by the relation between the two? Coherence? Cosmos? Ordered beauty?
51. Something is produced by the relation between the Law of Synthesis and the Law of Economy. It does not say that the Law of Attraction is produced by this relation, but that the Law of Attraction governs “that” which is produced by the relation.
52. In some ways, it would seem that that which is called by physicists the “neutron” would relate to the Law of Attraction, solar fire and “neutral electricity”.
and is itself controlled by a greater cosmic law which is the principle of the intelligence of substance. It is the law of Akasha.
53. This is quite an arresting statement. The Law of Akasha is certainly a cosmic law, yet so is the Law of Attraction. Perhaps the Law of Akasha originates for our local cosmosystem from the cosmic monadic plane—the ‘cosmic akashic plane’.
54. Perhaps DK is telling us that Akasha, so closely related to various monadic planes, is deeply involved in some kind of cosmic attraction impulsed through cosmic sound.
55. Is the Law of Akasha in some respects a super-cosmic law?
56. When dealing with akasha we deal with sound, pattern, attraction and with the first formal differentiations into seven. By referring to Chart V, 344, some hints regarding sevenfoldness of akashic planes (solar and cosmic) can be gathered.
It must be borne in mind that these three laws are the expression of the intent or purpose of the three Logoic Aspects.
57. From another point of view the “three Logoic Aspects” can be considered the “Three Persons” of the Logoic Trinity.
58. We are now speaking of these laws as they operate within a solar logoic context. They certainly must have higher correspondences. At one point DK tells us that we have been given only three cosmic laws and that other, not yet revealed, do exist.
The Law of Economy is the governing principle of Brahma or the Holy Spirit;
59. Esoterically, this law rules the five systemic planes. From a higher perspective, it rules five cosmic planes.
the Law of Synthesis is the law of the Father's life;
60. This law rulers the systemic and cosmic logoic planes.
whilst the Son's life is governed by, and manifests forth divine attraction.
61. The Law of Attraction rules, particularly, the systemic and probably the cosmic monadic plane, but has resonance with the systemic and cosmic buddhic and astral planes.
62. The “Son’s life” is an aspect of “that” which is produced by the relation of the Law of Synthesis and the Law of Economy: “that” is ruled by the Law of Attraction.
Yet these three are the three subsidiary laws of a greater impulse
63. We notice that a law is called an “impulse”. The dynamic of pulsation is ruled by the first ray. One example is the pulsating "Jewel in the Lotus"
which governs the life of the Unmanifested Logos.25 S. D., I, 56, 73, 74. [Page 1168]
64. How can we think of the “Unmanifested Logos”? Are we to think of the Solar Logos in His soul nature or in His monadic nature? Surely, both are unmanifested at this time (at least on the cosmic physical plane), especially His monadic nature which is due to manifest more fully towards the end of this solar system and particularly in the next.
65. I do not think we should think of the “Unmanifested Logos” as any of the Three Persons of the Logoic Trinity.
66. The “Unmanifested Logos” seems to be the synthesis of the Three Persons and the three laws which express these Persons.