Fellowship of Cosmic Fire
Commentary Semester VIII Section II
TCF 936 - 947: S8S2
29 October – 13 November 2008
(Most of the Tibetan’s text is put in font 16, to provide better legibility when projected during classes. Footnotes and references from other AAB Books and from other pages of TCF are put in font 14. Commentary appears in font 12. Underlining, Bolding and Highlighting by MDR)
It is suggested that this Commentary be read with the TCF book handy, for the sake of continuity. As analysis of the text is pursued, many paragraphs are divided, and the compact presentation in the book, itself, will convey the overall meaning of the paragraph. So please read an entire paragraph and then study the Commentary
We will now briefly take up the subject of the work of the devas who build man's etheric and dense physical body.
1. We have been concentrating upon the physical plane and focusing upon the two types of devas—those who work in the systemic ethers and those who work upon the dense physical subplanes.
2. It seems that in the last Commentary, DK switched back and forth between a discussion of the two.
3. We have also noted that the terms “devas” can be quite broad. Whereas some uses of the term “devas” can include elementals and even elemental substance (i.e., the ‘material’ of the planes), the term “elementals” does not include any of the higher or even middling types of devas.
4. We try to remain alert to potential terminological confusion.
By dividing our thoughts into two sections, we may be able to cover the ground somewhat more easily, dealing first with the building devas and the microcosm and then with the lesser builders of the etheric levels.
5. Much depends on what DK means by “the lesser builders of the etheric levels”.
6. We recall this statement:
The etheric deva substance is acted upon in two ways: It is awakened into a specific activity by the sounding of the physical plane word, and it is built into forms by the lesser builders. (TCF 936)
7. From this we gather that the lesser builders are not “etheric deva substance”.
8. These thoughts are focused on that borderline between involutionary and evolutionary lives.
d. The Elementals and the Microcosm.
Man and the building devas.
9. Do we find the inference that the “elementals” are the building devas, or that certain of the “elementals” can be considered as such?
10. Some of these terms (for instance, “elementals” and “devas”) have a certain ‘span’ which seems to overlap into the domain of others.
Man, in the process of evolution, as he pursues the method of reincarnation, works with four types of builders and three major grades of building essence or deva substance.
11. In what follows below, the interplay of man with various types of devas is described.
12. Here we have a clear distinction between builders and “building essence or deva substance”.
13. There are so many important words that are used interchangeably. Notice, here, that the word “deva” is associated with substance. Also, when we think of “elemental essence” we usually think of it as that which is “built into” rather than “building”, and yet, DK seems to call it “building essence”.
14. The important thing will be to discriminate the true builders on the evolutionary arc (no matter how elemental they may be) from the involutionary “building essence or deva substance” which relatively is passive and comes under the name “recipients of force”.
15. It is at this point that a review should be conducted concerning the three main type of lunar lords on each systemic plane, the third an lowest category of which could be considered more substantial than manipulatory or building.
16. When DK calls “deva substance” by the name “building essence”, it is not probable that He is trying to remove the characterization of passivity from such deva substance.
17. When we speak of the four types of builders, we may presume that there is one type for each of the four levels of man’s personality nature—the mental vehicle, the astral vehicle, the etheric vehicle and the dense physical vehicle.
He [man] connects with the transmitting devas who are found in connection with the microcosm on the fourth subplane of the mental plane, and on the atomic subplanes of the astral and physical plane.
18. This is an interesting and important location for the transmitting devas—presumably, microcosmic “transmitters of the word”.
19. The “transmitting devas” are, in relation to the microcosmic, the highest type of devas we have been discussing in recent commentaries.
20. Man is far from a completed being and has not yet lifted the polarization of his consciousness onto the atomic level of the mental plane. Hence the “transmitting devas” of the mental plane are found on its fourth subplane and not on its first.
He connects next with the devas concerned with:
1. The mental unit.
2. The astral permanent atom.
3. The physical permanent atom.
21. These are other than the transmitting devas. Can they be considered “lunar pitris”? Or are the true lunar pitris found only among the “transmitting devas”?
22. We may recall when studying devas connected with the various vehicles that there are two types of devas working in connection with the mental unit and permanent atoms.
a. Those that work with the spirillae of the unit or permanent atoms. (These are the microcosmic “transmitting devas”.)
b. Those which gather substance around the permanent atom. (These are those, listed above as concerned with the mental unit, the astral permanent atom and the physical permanent atom.)
c. Those which are negative substance
23. The following lengthy quotation (interspersed with commentary) describes these associations. From what is said below, we can gather a good idea of the devas which are associated with the mental unit and the two lower permanent atoms.
We can now trace the progress of egoic energy as it passes down from the abstract levels to the permanent atoms. On each plane the work is threefold, and might be tabulated as follows:
1. The response within the permanent atom to the vibration set up by the solar Pitris; to word it otherwise: the response of the highest group of lunar Pitris to the chord of the Ego. This definitely affects the spirillae of the atom, according to the stage of evolution of the Ego concerned.
24. These lunar pitris we can call “transmitting devas” or microcosmic “transmitters of the word”
25. It is these transmitting devas who affect the spirillae in the permanent atom or mental unit.
2. The response of the substance to the atomic vibration upon the particular plane involved.
26. Here, substance, is more than “building essence” or passive “deva substance”.
This concerns the second group of Pitris, whose function it is to gather together the substance attuned to any particular key, and to aggregate it around the permanent atom.
27. We studied the “listening devas” and their gathering function in the preceding commentary and a correlation may be in order.
They work under the Law of Magnetic Attraction, and are the attractive energy of the permanent atom. On a tiny scale each permanent atom has (to the substance of a man's sheaths) a position relative to that which the physical sun holds to the substance of the system. It is the nucleus of attractive force.
28. From this description, we can understand the function of the Sun as a ‘great attractor’.
29. This second group is actually a dual group consisting of the following types of builders.
a. Those who are connected with the permanent atoms.
b. Those who are responsible for the building process (TCF 939)
30. It may be necessary, at this point, to correlate information on the “listening devas” and the “seeing elementals” with the two types of builders listed here—those connected with the permanent atoms, and those who are responsible for the building process.
31. The members of this second group are not the microcosmic transmitting devas.
32. They are also not what DK calls below “negative substance”.
3. The response of the negative substance concerned and its moulding into the desired form through the dual energy of the two higher groups of Pitris.
33. So that we may retain our clarity, these two higher groups of Pitris are (as here described)—
a. The transmitting devas
b. The devas concerned with the members of the atomic triangle—mental unit, astral permanent atom, and physical permanent atom.
Some thought of the unity of this threefold work has been given in the differentiation of the substance of any plane into:
a. Atomic substance.
b. Molecular substance.
c. Elemental essence.
This differentiation is not entirely accurate, and a truer idea of the underlying concept might be conveyed if the word "energy" took the place of "substance and essence." This third group of Pitris is really not correctly termed Pitris at all.
34. This is a most important statement, and must be remembered when we are classifying the lunar pitris into those who are builders and those who are substance or essence who are built into form.
The true lunar Pitris are those of the first and highest group, for they embody one aspect of the intelligent will of Brahma, or of God-in-substance. The third group are literally the lesser Builders, and are blind incoherent forces, subject to the energy emanating from the two higher groups.
35. When we speak of the “lesser Builders” as “blind incoherent forces” we must be careful to note whether such “builders” are actually builders, or whether they are passive deva substance, “building essence” acted upon and ‘built into’ rather than building.
36. The problem is that the term “builders” is sometimes used to denote those who are acted upon and ‘built into’ rather than those who actually build.
Occultly these three groups are divided into the following:
a. The Pitris who see, but touch nor handle not.
b. The Pitris who touch but see not.
c. The Pitris who hear but neither see nor touch. (TCF 781-783)
37. Presumably, this is a descending list, with the first group designated as “the true lunar Pitris”.
38. The “blind incoherent forces” seem to be the third group “c”, and ‘passively substantial.
39. Although we are not told, we can infer that hearing is the property of all three groups.
40. The lunar pitris listed above (the first two) are definitely concerned with the mental unit and lower permanent atoms, however, they may only be concerned with the construction of these points of force and not their normal functioning whilst the man is in incarnation. We will have to observe this to see whether the devas listed by DK as concerned with the mental unit, astral permanent atom, and physical permanent atom are the same as these first two categories of lunar pitris listed immediately above.
41. Having reconsidered an earlier reference, we now continue with the text pertaining to the present commentary—
He [man] co-operates with the work of the building devas who form the etheric body, and influences the building devas of the dense physical substances, so that the necessary physical vehicle for his objective manifestation becomes an actuality.
42. It does seem that we are speaking of the stages involved in creating a physical vehicle for microcosmic objective manifestation. In this case, the lunar pitris discussed above would definitely be involved.
43. We note that the man has two approaches: he “cooperates” and “influences”.
a. He cooperates with the building devas who form his etheric body
b. He influences the building devas of the dense physical substances.
44. Let us pause to notice that we are discussing two types of “building devas”:
a. “Building devas” who form the etheric body of man
b. “Building devas” who work within the dense physical substances.
45. It is at this point that we should remember some of the ambiguities which seemed to appear in the last commentary, when we were speaking of those “seeing elementals” who were responsible either for building the etheric doubles of various kinds of forms, or for building the physical vehicles of many kinds of forms or for both.
46. We may remember that there are certain devas which a man must obey, but others with which he cooperates and still others whom he must command or direct. We are given an idea, here, of the last two categories:
a. Man is to cooperate with the building devas who form the etheric body.
b. He is to influence those devas who work in the dense physical (unprincipled) substance.
47. Apparently, in these sections of text, we are not talking about man the magician while in incarnation in the three lower worlds. Instead we are talking about man in the process of building his own vehicles and the devas and lesser lives with which he must interact as he does so.
These [those listed above] are the four main groups of devas which come under the influence of any particular Ego.
48. How shall we list these four groups. Here is one possibility:
a. The transmitting devas
b. The devas concerned with the mental unit,
c. The devas concerned with the astral permanent atom
d. The devas concerned with the physical permanent atom.
e. (If one checks the lengthy quotation above, it will emerge that devas listed under “b., c., and d.” can be divided into two groups, only one of which definitely affects the permanent atoms) The other seem to be “builders” of a different and lesser category (though not passive, negative substance)..
f. Thus, with this way of counting, we would have four groups.
g. But in foregoing pages, and in other commentaries, other types of devas like “transmitters of prana” have been listed. So we must proceed with caution if we are to preserve the necessary distinctions.
49. Here the kinds of devas we have been discussing (in this case, those connected with the systemic physical plane) are tabulated in a different manner which must be correlated with our present method of distinguishing them.
The three groups function as follows:
Group A. on the first subplane. They are the sumtotal of the atomic matter of the physical plane.
Group B. on the second, third and fourth etheric subplanes. They are the substance of those planes, the transmitters of prana, through which prana flows to the most concrete aspects of the logoic dense vahan, or vehicle.
Group C. the lowest three subplanes; they are the devas who are the essences of all that is tangible, visible and objective. (TCF 636)
50. We must also remind ourselves of another way of categorizing the devas:
Therefore, in connection with manifestation on the physical plane the devas may be divided into three groups:
1. The transmitters of the will of God, the originators of activity in deva substance. These are the greater builders in their various groups.
2. The manipulators of the initiated energy. These are the myriads of workers with force who transmit the impulse in their turn to the elemental essence. They are the builders of lesser degree, but are on the evolutionary arc as are the first group.
3. The recipients of force, the sumtotal of the living substance of a plane. These lives are passive in the hands of the builders of greater degree. (TCF 890)
51. With regard to “recipients of force” are we speaking of the most passive deva lives, of “building essence” as mentioned below, or of the lowest category of those which still build rather than being built into? Terminologically, this is an important question.
52. Are we to add two other groups to the four mentioned above—transmitters and those concerned with the mental unit, the astral permanent atom and the physical permanent atom? Namely—
a. The building devas who form the etheric body
b. The building devas of the dense physical substances .
53. Or are these two categories of devas simply to be found under the devas concerned with the physical permanent atom?
54. There seem to be so many types of devas (with more than one name indicating the same type) that we must proceed with caution in order to maintain clarity.
They [probably the four types under consideration] unitedly [Page 937] produce the lower man, and bring into manifestation the Personality, that reflection of the Ego and shadow of the Monad.
55. The personality is, in general, regarded as fourfold and so it makes sense that four groups of devas would, unitedly, bring the personality into manifestation.
56. There are of course more types of devas or deva substance than four, but we should keep the broad outlines intact before going into the many details and sub-classifications.
57. Thus far we have listed four groups of devas who work upon “building essence” as it is called immediately below.
The three grades of building essence which are built into forms through the activity of the above four groups are here briefly recognised as the mental substance, built into the mental body, the astral substance, built into the astral vehicle and the matter of the physical body.
58. Here is a most important section of text.
59. The term “building essence” is a very useful concept and has not appeared in the book before this point. If we can remember the equivalence between “building essence” and “deva substance”, we will be in a position to discriminate these types of involutionary lives from the lowest types of true builders
60. DK gives us three kinds of building essence or deva substance:
a. Mental substance built into the mental body
b. Astral substance built into the astral vehicle
c. Etheric-physical substance (He simply calls it “matter of the physical body”) built into the etheric-physical body.
61. DK began this section of text by mentioning seven types of devic lives or substance—
Man, in the process of evolution, as he pursues the method of reincarnation, works with four types of builders and three major grades of building essence or deva substance
and it if we can keep these numbers relatively clear in our minds, we will have the kind of picture we need for understanding.
62. Our problem is that there are quite a number of tabulations concerning the devas, and some of these tabulations deal with the same lives or entities, but from different perspectives.
63. A really organized approach to the categorization of the devas has not yet been successfully undertaken (to my knowledge). It would be a task of great complexity and one would have to proceed very cautiously to avoid confusion.
These seven groups
64. Four types of builders and three types of building essence--
form, in their totality, what we might call the Brahma aspect of the microcosm.
65. Let us remember that this discussion is no longer about the macrocosm but about the microcosm.
66. The Brahma aspect of the microcosm is everything that concerns the personality of man.
67. It does not include that which concerns his egoic nature or his monadic nature.
From another point of view, we may be considered as studying the action of the solar Angel, or Lord, upon the lunar angels,
68. DK discussed the matter from this perspective in the lengthy quotation interpolated above.
69. Notice that He does not differentiate between a “solar Angel” or ‘solar Lord’. Probably, the term “Solar Pitri” would also be an equivalent.
70. There are hints at distinctions between those three terms, but they are also, apparently, used interchangeably, just as the terms “Planetary Logos” and “Heavenly Man” are used interchangeably.
and the process whereby the solar Lord imposes a certain rhythm and vibration upon different aspects of lower manifestation.
71. The rhythm and vibration imposed upon the “lunar angels” by the “solar Lord” is accomplished through the sounding of certain mantrams which are created by the “solar Lord” in response to a transmitted Word of Power.
Esoterically, this is all hidden in the words of a very ancient writing, which says:
"As the moon revolves, she reflects. As she reflects, she causes response in that which failed to radiate. These three, the Sun, the Moon, and the Mother, produce that which pursues a tiny cycle, and burns."
72. The words are certainly obscure.
73. If the Moon “reflects” she does so because of the Sun.
74. We seem to be speaking of the effect of the solar builders upon the lunar builders, and, then, the effect of the lunar builders upon the “building essence” or deva substance which, technically, could be called the “Mother”.
75. How shall we determine the nature of “that which pursued a tiny cycle and burns”? Certainly, this could be the human being. Even the long evolutionary period of a human being is relatively a tiny cycle. Further, every incarnation is a tiny cycle and as the incarnations proceed, the burning process proceeds.
The first step of the Ego towards producing a "shadow" is expressed in the words "The Ego sounds his note."
76. We are speaking of the manner in which incarnation is sought by the Ego.
77. The first note to be sounded in the process of creating vehicles for manifestation is the egoic note. This it the beginning of the magical incarnational process.
He utters his voice, and (as in the logoic process) the lesser "army of the voice" responds immediately to it.
78. We are dealing with the microcosmic reflection of the logoic process.
79. We have to remember that there are greater members of the Army of the Voice to be found on the cosmic etheric planes, with the exception of the logoic plane (in some manner, represented even there).
80. We are, however, speaking of the lesser Army of the Voice (an important distinction).
81. This lesser army is to be found within the realm of Brahma—i.e., within the lower eighteen systemic subplanes.
According to the tone and quality of the voice, so is the nature of the responsive agents.
82. We realize that there are a great number of responsive agents. We have been classifying them, and tabulating them, even though, so far, that classification is not precisely rendered.
According to the depth or height of the note, and according to its volume, so is the status or grade of building deva which replies to the call.
83. We can see how much depends upon the quality of the egoic note sounded. Tone, quality, depth, height volume—all these determine the status or grade of the building deva which responds to the Ego’s call.
84. There are a number of groups of building devas who must respond to this not, but within these groups, there are those of different quality and of different ray tone or coloration. Because of these distinctions, there will be differential response.
This egoic note produces, therefore, certain effects:
It sweeps into activity devas who proceed to transmit the sound. They utter a word.
85. Again we see the phrase “sweeps into activity” indicating the irresistible power of one deva group over another—the Ego, from one perspective, is a deva or, at least, strongly infused by that deva we call the Solar Angel.
86. Here we reference the microcosmic parallels of those who, macrocosmically, are known as "Transmitters of the Word".
87. We also studied earlier the threefold sequence of the “WORD”, the Mantram(s) and the Formula(s), involving three grades of devic beings.
88. We are speaking of a high group of devas. The microcosmic “transmitters of the word” are higher in their development than even the highest type of microcosmic building devas.
89. We may repeat again that the “transmitters” are not the “builders”, per se.
It reaches the listening devas of the second grade who take up the word and proceed to elaborate it into what might be called a mantric phrase.
90. We are examining the creative process within the microcosm.
91. Those who have first received the Ego’s tonal impulse have transmitted a “word” and it has been received by listening deva of the second grade.
92. Let us see if we can become increasingly certain as to the nature of the “listening devas”.
93. If you search above in the large interpolation of text above (TCF 781-783), you will find their function described. These devas are the “attractive energy of the permanent atom”. They work through magnetism and are aggregators of substance which is attuned to the transmitted note (with all its variable including the key).
94. Immediately below is an excerpt from that large section of interpolated text.
2. The response of the substance to the atomic vibration upon the particular plane involved. This concerns the second group of Pitris, whose function it is to gather together the substance attuned to any particular key, and to aggregate it around the permanent atom. They work under the Law of Magnetic Attraction, and are the attractive energy of the permanent atom. On a tiny scale each permanent atom has (to the substance of a man's sheaths) a position relative to that which the physical sun holds to the substance of the system. It is the nucleus of attractive force
95. The listening devas of the second grade, we are told, elaborate the transmitted “word” into a mantric phrase.
96. This is the place to interpolate a reference which encapsulates this idea, though on a higher turn of the spiral. The devas we are now studying are functioning beneath the level of the Ego and within the realm of personality. Still the idea of a relationship between a three devic types—a transmitter, a mantric formulator and one who manipulates according to mathematical formulas is preserved.
97. We have somewhat studied this process about a hundred a fifty pages ago:
Each Identity concerned proceeds to sound a WORD. This sound expands into a mantram and the solar angels vibrate in response. There is a point of interest to be noted here.
a. The first aspect works through a Word of Power.
b The second aspect works through mantric combinations.
c. The third aspect works through mathematical formulas. (TCF 771)
98. The “transmitters”, “listening devas” who are ‘mantric formulators’ and those still lesser devas who build, are all of them working under the use of “mathematical formulas” which is the method of all lunar devas. It is the Solar Angels who are the true and original workers “through mantric combination”.
99. We should also interpolate the macrocosmic reference concerning the fifth systemic plane—the plane whereon the Solar Angels find their major expression to this time.
The logoic Phrase...Fifth plane...The plane of the logoic mantram of 35 stanzas. The gaseous body.(TCF 928)
The building process [carried on the by the building devas who receive the transmitted word] definitely begins in a sequential threefold manner. The [Page 938] mental body begins to co-ordinate in three stages.
100. It may be supposed that the mantrams devised by the devas of the second order are magnetic in their effect and work towards the gathering and coordination of the substance which will become the various personality vehicles.
101. The thing to keep in mind in all this apparent complexity is that the “transmitters” are not the “listeners” or the “builders.
102. We note the sequentiality of the building process and remember that all proceeds according to law and in order.
All the building stages overlap. When, for instance, the co-ordination of the mental body is in its second stage, the first stage of astral concretion begins.
103. We are definitely speaking of the building of the personality vehicle of the Ego—the process of gradual descent into incarnation.
104. While the process is sequential and orderly, we see the principle of overlap at work.
105. We have not yet been told what may be the three phases of coordination of any vehicle.
This is carried on for seven stages (three major and four minor) which overlap in an intricate fashion.
106. We are not in a position to understand the nature of these seven stages, but they concern coordination and concretion. One can attempt to count the possible stages in three or even four of the vehicles (including the dense physical body as a separate or fourth vehicle) and see whether it is possible to arrive at the number seven.
107. Probably, until we are in a position to observe the process at first hand, it is sufficient for us to know that in the matter of creating the personality vehicles before birth, there is a concretizing and coordinative process which is relatively sequential and intricately overlapping. We always expect organized activity within the realm of the devas.
Again, when the second stage is reached, a vibration is produced which awakens response in etheric matter on the physical plane, and the builders of the etheric double commence their activity. Again the process is repeated.
108. The principle of overlap is found throughout Nature. We have a false idea if we look for sequential stages of development which have hard and fast temporal boundaries. This same principle applies to the manner in which the petals of the egoic lotus unfold.
When the second stage of the work of these etheric devas is begun, conception takes place upon the physical plane.
109. It is always when the second stage of development in a superior vehicle is reached that the first stage of development of the immediately inferior vehicle begins.
110. The science of conception is also intricate. We see how much preparation has occurred before it is the correct moment for conception on the physical plane to occur.
111. It would seem that the incarnating human being is hovering in the etheric field before the biological opportunity for further densification is presented.
112. Because it is not until the second stage of the world of the etheric devas that conception takes place upon the physical plane, we can link conception with the second aspect of divinity—the form building aspect.
This is a very important point to be remembered, for it brings the entire process of human birth definitely into line with established karmic law.
113. A careful building process is pursued, proceeding according to the karmic patterns accumulated and released for activation in a particular incarnation. Not all karmic patterns are released for activation in any particular incarnation.
It shows the close connection between that which is subjective and that which is tangible and seen.
114. That which is tangible and seen definitely conforms to the subjective pattern upon which it is built.
115. If it fitting that we are discussing the incarnational process of the human being, as it is a building process, and the devas (our theme) are the builders.
116. Of course, it is not the “greater Builders” who are involved in building the personality of man. Instead, various groups of “lesser builders” are involved. The whole process proceeds with great intelligence and is guided by karmic law.
117. Remember that the term “lesser builders” is very relative.
The building of the physical body proceeds like that of the three stages during the prenatal period:
a. The work of the building devas during the three and a half months prior to the realisation of life. This period sees the third stage of the building of the etheric body entered upon.
b. The building work of the next three and a half months of the gestation period.
c. The final process of concretion carried on through the remaining two months.
118. We divide the prenatal period into three divisions during which various categories of concretizing and coordination of the personality vehicles occur.
119. DK is not specific but seems to suggest that during the three and a half months “prior to the realisation of life” the third period of etheric development is entered upon. We remember that conception occurred with the beginning of the second stage of etheric building.
120. We must note carefully the phrase “prior to the realisation of life”. The so-called “animation” occurs approximately three and a half (perhaps four) months after conception, and at that time the heart beat of the foetus is detectable, hence realized.
121. It is only after the animation occurs that the stage of gestation (occultly considered) begins.
122. We do see that the physical body is considered in its own right as one of four fields developing each in three stages.
123. The duration in months of the three phases as regards the physical body are 3.5, 3.5 and 2.
124. Concretion is proceeding all through the process and its final stages are reached as far as the physical body is concerned during the last two months.
125. It is at birth that the sevenfold overlapping developmental process can be said to terminate.
Students will here find it interesting to trace out the correspondence in this method of producing evolutionary manifestation in a planetary scheme with its rounds and races, and in a solar system with its manvantaras and greater cycles.
126. This will have to be something for the new schools. It will be an elaborate process. DK has given an assignment for the future. The books are filled with such suggestions for expanding the understanding.
127. We can see an immediate correspondence to that period which elapses “prior to the realization of life” in the three and half rounds which elapsed (at least on the Earth-chain) prior to the onset of the process of individualization via the intervention of the Solar Angels. Analogically, the planetary heart then began to ‘beat’, the correlation to the moment of “animation” in the microcosm.
128. From the rootrace perspective in relation to our chain and globe, two and a half rootraces elapsed before the onset of the individualization process and three and a half before the possibility of truly opening the doors of initiation to the human family. Individualization, while a birth into the human kingdom, can be considered the moment of spiritual conception leading to birth into the fifth kingdom of nature, and initiation, though a birth into the fifth kingdom of nature, can be considered a moment of conception for birth into the Kingdom of Planetary Lives.
129. When thinking of a solar system, one would have to deal with ‘solar rounds’ analogous in a higher way to scheme rounds and chain rounds within a planetary scheme. We have no really clear idea about how these proceed. Certainly, however, in our solar system, the ‘solar heart’ has started to beat, just as our planetary heart has awakened with the coming of the “Lords of the Flame”.
130. There are probably greater “Lords of the Flame” operating on cosmic mental levels and we might look to their ‘coming’ when thinking about the “realisation of life” in solar logoic terms.
131. As well, the first three and a half months would probably have much to do with building the solar logoic personality and with developing the non-sacred centers or planets.
132. Was our present solar system the system in which our Solar Logos took His first initiation, for He has surely taken the second? If so, the realization of higher spiritual life, the “animation” may well have occurred in this second (or fifth) system.
133. We look forward to the day when we will have the leisure and motivation to pursued the Tibetan’s recommendations for expanding these ideas.
In summing up this very cursory outline, the work of the etheric devas does not cease at the birth of the man,
134. This is most interesting and will be important when it is understood how, truly, to cultivate the personality of the human being so that it becomes a refined and reliable instrument for egoic expression.
135. We are also assured that we have been focusing of the work of the building devas before birth—howevermuch they may be active after birth.
but is continued likewise in three stages, which find a close analogy in the life period of a solar system. [Page 939]
136. So we will look to the macrocosmic analogy to clarify work within the microcosm and vise versa.
137. The formula of three-stage-development seems a constant both pre-natally and post natally.
138. The animation corresponds to the activation of the second aspect in the pre-natal cycle. In the post-natal cycle, that same moment is mirrored in the birth of soul consciousness—the final appropriation of the personality by the soul.
139. There are seven ages of man” and yet, from the broader perspective, the seven can be seen as three.
140. From another point of view, the three pre-natal stages can be added to the seven ages of man (once he has been born upon the physical plane), making ten in all.
First, their work is directed to the steady increase of the human physical vehicle, so that it may follow accurately the lines of growth of the two subtler bodies. This is carried on till maturity is reached.
141. The following reference is an important amplification:
That unfoldment which takes place as a physical plane child grows from an infant to a man. By the time he is twenty-one, the centres should normally have reached the same quality of expression as they had attained when he passed out of life in a previous incarnation. The man then takes up life where he had previously left it off. (EH 37)
142. Much depends on what is meant by “till maturity is reached”. Is maturity the age of twenty-one when the centers reach the same quality of expression they had attained when the man last passed out of incarnation, or does it occur later—for instance, at the age of thirty-five (generically considered)?
143. In any case we find that after birth the physical vehicle does not yet accurately represent the lines of growth of the two subtler bodies. The physical vehicle is not a perfect expression of the degree of development of the subjective aspects of the personality—presumably the mental and astral vehicles. Thus, there is more building to be accomplished and the etheric devas responsible for promoting continue growth in the physical vehicle must proceed with their work.
144. We can think of this first phase as the period of “flow” compared with the third period of “ebb”.
The next stage [the second] is that in which their work consists largely of repair work, and the preservation of the body during the years of full manhood so that it can measure up to the purpose of the subjective life. This purpose necessarily varies according to the stage of development of the man.
145. First growth then repair and preservation. The etheric devas are involved in this work of sustainment. It may be that such work occurs largely during the hours of sleep.
146. The instrument is sustained so that an withstand the expression of the purpose for which it was originally made.
Finally comes the stage [the third] when the work of building ceases.
147. The work of building has continued even through the second stage.
The vitality in the etheric body waxes dim, and the processes of destruction begin.
148. We can consider this stage as the withdrawal of vitality.
The Ego begins to call in his forces.
149. This is a magnetic process and represents the ebb of life.
150. The indrawing may well occur under the influence of Jupiter, and magnetic Venus (the ruler of the soul on the higher mental plane) should not be discounted.
The "sound" becomes faint and dim;
151. This is what we might call the ‘sustaining sound’, that which upholds the integrity of the pattern of interrelated energies and forces within the personality vehicles.
there is less and less volume for the transmitters to pass on,
152. Volume is caused by wave-amplitude and, in this case, correlates with the strength of the vehicles of the personality.
153. We may infer that the transmitters continue their function all through the prenatal stages and through the post-natal stages of growth and repair/preservation. Though the volume of the note/word they transmit decreases in intensity, their function does continue even through the third stage of gradual withdrawal.
and the initial vibration gets fainter and fainter.
154. We have a fading out of the vital forces.
The period of obscuration comes in.
155. DK has described the onset of obscuration in terms of sound and its volume or amplitude.
First the physical body waxes weak and useless; then the Ego withdraws from the centres, and functions for a few hours in the etheric double.
156. This is the process of death. Weakness and uselessness precede death by natural causes (except, presumably sudden deaths from heart attack or stroke, and, of course, accident).
157. If following the debilitation of the physical body the Ego withdraws from the centers, it has always, in a way, ‘been there’. We may pause to realize the Ego exists on its own plane and yet suffuses the personality vehicles through the life thread (certainly) and also, increasingly, through its conscious presence. This is an important consideration.
158. Much speculation exists concerning the viability of the etheric body following its withdrawal from the physical body. The presence to he Ego functioning within the etheric body for a few hours after death would sustain the integrity of the etheric body. Perhaps reanimation of the dense physical body is possible as long as the Ego holds the etheric body in integrity.
This in turn is devitalised, and so the process is carried on till one by one the sheaths are discarded and the egoic "shadow" is dissipated.
159. The personality is considered the “shadow” of the Ego, or perhaps, more properly, the personality is the “shadow” of the Monad, and the Ego its reflection.
160. We are examining a process of devitalization, withdrawal, disintegration and dissipation. When the vitalizing force inducing coherency is withdrawn, there is nothing to hold a personality vehicle in integrity.
161. We continue below with a new subject, shifting the emphasis from “transmitting devas” to “building devas”.
The work of the building devas.
Let us now consider the work of the building devas on the three planes, dealing with them in two groups:
162. It is important to realize that building devas are not transmitting devas. We must keep them distinct as the following reference demonstrates.
We have dealt at some length already with the work [Page 941] of the transmitting devas upon the three planes in the three worlds, and with that of the devas connected with those relatively permanent focal points—the permanent atoms within the causal periphery. We can now consider the group of builders [yet another group] who, responding to the note of the transmitting agencies and to the initial vibration of the second group of builders concerned with the triple lower self, begin the work of aggregating and moulding the living substance necessary for egoic manifestation upon the lower planes. (TCF 942)
163. There are three categories of devas listed here and it will be necessary to be clear about them:
a. The “transmitting agencies”
b. The second group of builders concerned with the permanent atoms within the causal periphery. These devas are concerned with an “initial vibration” and are concerned with the triple lower self.” We seek to understand the nature of this “initial vibration” and its relation both to the note of the “transmitting agencies” and to the triple lower self. There is some ambiguity here.
c. Those builders (manipulators)—a third group, apparently, but perhaps, really, a subdivision of the second group—who aggregate and mould the “living substance” necessary for creating the lunar vehicles.
164. Here we may have some possible terminological subtleties. The devas involved with the atomic triangle are not transmitters nor are they, according to this context, aggregators and moulders per se. So what then are the “listening devas”. Are they to be correlated with the “second group of builders” or with the third group who “begin the work of aggregating and moulding the living substance”. We must remember that “listening devas” do gather substance. We must also remember that the three groups of devas associated with the mental unit, astral permanent atom, and physical permanent atom, are part of a second group, whose function is “to gather together the substance attuned to any particular key, and to aggregate it around the permanent atom” (TCF 782) So, we see that the second group of “builders” (not just the third group above) does indeed “gather” and “aggregate”.
165. Thus, we have an earlier reference stating that the second group “gathers” and “aggregate(s)” but here it is stated that the third group aggregates and moulds. To aggregate is very similar to gather.
166. Try to see clearly the equivalence between “living substance” and “building essence”, sometimes also called “deva substance”. It is upon such substance or essence that the building-manipulating devas (and elementals) work, moulding the necessary form.
167. The two classifications of devas immediately below are not transmitting devas. They are group number two and three from the interpolated section of text (TCF 942) just above.
a. Those who are connected with the permanent atoms.
b. Those who are responsible for the building process. (TCF 939)
168. The permanent atoms are the power centers within any vehicle. They are, relative to that vehicle, connected with the first aspect. But they are also magnetic centers used to gather the substance for the vehicles to be created.
169. The building process itself concerns the third ray principally, but some influence of the second ray (since it is the building ray). Devas in this third category are also involved in aggregation which occurs partially under the magnetic influence of the second ray.
170. From all that has been said here, we may make the following tabulation:
a. There are transmitting devas who are the true lunar pitris. They receive the transmitted egoic note and transmit it further. They transmit a “note”.
There are three groups of devas associated with the members of the
atomic triangle, each group associated with either the mental unit, the astral
permanent atom, or the physical permanent atom. Sometimes they are called
“building” devas, but they do not build in the same way as the devas in the
category to follow. They are responsible for what is called an “initial
vibration” which is derived from the transmitted “note” of the “transmitting
devas”. These devas, associated with the members of the along this line, work especially with magnetism and both
gather and aggregate substance around the lower permanent atoms and mental
unit. Immediately above, this group of devas are called “Those who are connected
with the permanent atoms”.
Here from a section later in the text, are what the members of this second group do:
These building devas [closely allied, we are told, with the Solar Angels] are the ones who take up the sound as the Ego sends it forth through certain of the transmitting deva agencies, and by the vibration which this sets up they drive into activity the surrounding deva essence in their two groups (TCF 940):
We remember the relationship of these devas (sometimes their “building” nature is emphasized and sometimes not) to the factor of vibration.
c. The next group of devas (a third group) is closely related to the second group. This third group responds to the “initial vibration” of the second group, and continues to gather and aggregate the substance already gathered and aggregated by the second group, but contributes to greater concretion by moulding the gathered substance. Immediately above this third group of devas is called “Those who are responsible for the building process”. It is probably that we can with accuracy call this third group of devas “manipulating devas”.
d. Following these three groups of devas—transmitting, vibrating and gathering, and aggregating and moulding, come the devas of passive elemental lives who are the substance to be built.
171. This tabulation and explanation should prove useful. Caution will have to be exerted when we get into the specifics of work upon each plane:
a. Work within the dense physical subplanes
b. Work within the etheric subplanes
c. Work upon the astral plane
d. Work on the lower mental levels
172. When such work is analyzed, new names for various devas and their processes are brought forward, and we will have to be careful to keep them within the overall fourfold tabulation just offered—transmitters, ‘vibrators’, moulders and passive substance.
173. Once we make our way through the terminology, we should more clearly see the outlines of these intricate relationships, and the complexity which here appears so daunting, will disappear.
174. We are going to begin differentiating the status and functions of certain building devas.
The devas of the permanent atoms.
175. We will realize that we have (in earlier sections of the book) considered these devas somewhat. The lengthy interpolation at the beginning of this Commentary deals with them. DK seems to come back to certain subjects for further amplification.
176. These are, in a way, building devas; they are not transmitting devas, even though the lunar transmitting devas powerfully affect the spirillae of the mental unit and the two permanent atoms.
177. The “devas of the permanent atoms” belong to a second twofold category of devas. They are neither the devas most closely associated with the Ego nor are they the third category of deva listed above (TCF942) who aggregate and mould. Neither are they the passive, negative substance, the building essence which is built into forms. Nor are they a still
178. They are devas who work through magnetic power and set up an “initial vibration” which gathers substance around the lower permanent atoms. They are called “builders”, but they are less builders than the third classification of devas who aggregate and mould the living substance.
This particular group of devas are the aggregate of the lives who form the mental unit and the two permanent atoms.
179. Devas operate in groups. It would be of interest to know how many of such lives are aggregated to form the mental unit and the two permanent atoms.
180. When we look at the meaning of the word “form” we have to decide whether it means “build” or “go to the constitution of”.
181. As devas often work by building themselves into the form, or underlie or suffuse the form, some combination of the two perspectives is possible.
182. When thinking of the Solar Angels, for instance, they are not the substance of the higher mental plane, but they are, as it were, ‘structurally present’ within that lesser higher mental substance, and it is the underlying presence of these Angels or Pitris which brings about the formation of the egoic lotus.
183. We must learn to study what we might call the ‘infusion of fields within fields’—the infusion of greater fields within lesser fields. This all has to do with what we might call the ‘interpenetration of fields’.
184. Yet, overall, the first of the options (to consider the word “form” as a verb seems the best solution). These, then, are the devas who form or work through the two lower permanent atoms and mental unit.
185. This group of devas might be considered those who sustain the integrity of the permanent atoms, holding their formal integrity and also vitalizing them.
186. How small is a deva? This may be considered a strange questions, but if we think that there are devas who aggregate together to form the mental unit, or astral permanent atom or physical permanent atom; and when we consider how tiny these centers of force are; we are led to ask the quality in all seriousness.
They [the mental unit, the astral permanent atom and the physical permanent atom], as we know, have their place within the causal periphery, and are focal points of egoic energy.
187. It is important to realize that the mental unit and two lower permanent atoms have their place within the causal periphery yet must, necessarily, remain on their own subplanes. This may seem a difficult concept but the utilization of visualization may help us conceive how it is possible.
They are the very highest type of building devas, and form a group of lives which are closely allied to the solar Angels.
188. While this group is the very highest type of “building devas”, they are not the highest of the three types of devas through which the Ego works.
189. The “transmitting devas” or microcosmic “transmitters of the word” are a still higher type.
190. Here the devas associated with the mental unit and the two lower permanent atoms are definitely called “building devas”. Elsewhere, their role as builders is less emphasized and their power to initiate vibration more emphasized.
191. Yet, the Solar Angels are strong representatives of the second aspect of divinity and so are this high type of building devas (for the act of building takes place under second ray influence). This could be one of the reasons for the close alliance between the Solar Angels and these building devas.
192. We do begin to see, do we not, how intricate is the subject and how carefully we must proceed to keep things straight!
They exist in seven groups connected with three of the spirillae of [Page 940] the logoic physical permanent atom.
193. We might relate the three members of the atomic triangle (which are usually simply called “the permanent atoms”) to the three spirillae of the logoic physical permanent atom. There is a correspondence of three to three.
194. If we look at the logoic permanent atom, and presume, because it is on the cosmic physical plane that it has seven spirillae, then one group of devas would be related to the first spirilla (given to Shiva), another to the second spirilla (given to Vishnu) and the next five groups of devas to the third spirilla (given to Brahma).
195. We must remember, in this context, that spirillae of the logoic permanent atom are systemic planes!
196. Although these seven groups of building devas are connected with the logoic physical permanent atom which is principally anchored on the logoic plane, they also may be thought of as related to the seven spirillae to be found in the lower two permanent atoms. (The higher permanent atoms have only three spirillae).
197. If we combine the spirillae to be found in the mental unit and in the manasic permanent atom (these two, seemingly separated by the causal body), we shall also have seven, as the three triadal permanent atoms have only three major spirillae.
198. Can the seven groups be related to the seven rays. For one thing, we know that it is possible for any center of force (the mental unit or the two lower permanent atoms) to express, principally, any one of the seven rays.
199. Do we begin to sense the nature of the intricate occult science into which we are entering?
These three spirillae are to these seven groups of lives what the three major rays are to the seven groups of rays on the egoic subplanes of the mental plane. This phrase will bear meditating upon, and may convey much information to the intuitional thinker.
200. Here we have one of those profound statements which will demand prolonged pondering.
201. We may assume that the logoic physical permanent atom is to be found focally anchored upon the systemic logoic plane (the higher parallel to the anchoring of the microcosmic physical permanent atom on the atomic etheric subplane of the systemic physical plane).
202. We have a Kabalistic pattern of a greater three hovering over a lesser seven. It is the pattern of the Tree of Life.
203. These high microcosmically-related devas exist in seven groups, presumably related to the seven lesser spirillae in the normal, complete, sevenfold permanent atom. Of course, they will also be related to the seven rays and to the process of inducing the capacity of any permanent atom or unit to express any of the seven rays.
204. When dealing with the ‘higher three’ and their relation to the seven, we will divide the higher three into three divisions. Reviewing from an alternative perspective: the first of the three spirillae of logoic permanent atom will be given to Shiva and to the first type of the seven lower devas, as well as to the first of the lower seven spirillae; the second of the three spirillae of the logoic permanent atom will be given to Vishnu and to the second type of the seven lower devas as well as to the second of the lower seven spirillae; and the third of the three spirillae of the logoic permanent atom will be given to fivefold Brahma and to the fifth through seventh types of seven lower devas and to the lower five of the seven lower spirillae.
205. From the three, seven can be derived. Thinking in terms of the synthesizing Planetary Logoi and the sacred Planetary Logoi, a trinity is to be found on the systemic logoic plane and a septenate upon the second plane. (cf. TCF, Chart V, 344) We may analogize downward to the systemic subplanes looking for the three above the seven and also carry our analogy to the structure of the atom where we will find a major three and a lesser seven—three major spirillae and seven subsidiary and minor.
206. Is the logoic physical permanent atom to be found only upon the logoic plane, or is its highest spirilla there to be found, with each of the lower six systemic plane representing one of its spirillae? From this perspective, the entire solar system is as a cosmic atom with seven ‘planar spirillae’—the seven systemic planes.
207. The “seven groups of rays on the egoic subplanes of the mental plane” are represented by the seven groups of causal bodies there to be found—each group an egoic group qualified by one of the seven rays. DK seems to suggest that inspiration for these seven groups comes from three higher rays associated with the Shiva, Vishnu and Brahma of the cosmic physical plane and manifesting through the highest three cosmic physical subplanes.
208. What is said here far from exhausts the pondering necessary to interpret DK’s statement in relation to which He advised meditation by the “intuitional thinker”.
There is a correspondence between the three permanent atomic triads, and the appearance of man in the third root race.
209. How shall we understand the “three permanent atomic triads”?
210. What does the word “permanent” mean in this context?
211. We may find that one of the three triads is the lower atomic triangle consisting of mental unit, astral permanent atom and physical permanent atom. We could hardly, however, call it “permanent” except that it is permanent with respect to the vehicles it builds, for the vehicles cyclically disintegrate and the permanent atoms do not.
212. Another one of the “permanent triads” is, seemingly, the spiritual triad, consisting of the manasic permanent atom, the buddhic permanent atom, and the atmic permanent atom. These permanent atoms are, within almost the entire pilgrimage of the Monad, permanent
213. But what of the third? We have run out of permanent atoms (if in a permanent atomic triad there must be permanent atoms).
214. We cannot find permanent atoms in the Monad, even though it is threefold—Will, Wisdom and Activity.
215. BUT, we can find upon the mental plane, three points, two of which are constituents in the two triads already proposed.
216. These three points are the mental unit, the manasic permanent atom and the “Jewel in the Lotus”, which is a projection of the Monad and permanent throughout the duration of the causal body, but far more permanent as the Monad—the most permanent of all factors in the human energy system.
217. We could contemplate this possibility. DK has given us a correspondence of three and three. How many triads shall there be in the future structure of man?
218. One more thing—each of the three higher permanent atoms is threefold, as it has only three spirillae. The spiritual triad is permanent more or less throughout the duration of the Monad’s pilgrimage. Since each of the permanent atoms (atmic, buddhic and manasic) is threefold, we could call them “three permanent atomic triads).
A curiously interesting sequence of the three lines of force can be seen in:
219. DK is helping us understand the relationship between certain groups of triads.
a. The triads of the involutionary group soul.
220. These cannot be triads which include a mental unit, as that unit takes time to emerge, and really, emerges only within the later phases of the animal kingdom, as instinct approximates intellect.
221. So we may assume that it is a collection of spiritual triads which are involved with the “involutionary group soul”.
222. Below are some collected references concerning the triads and the involutionary path or involutionary group soul.
223. We may suppose that these triads/Triads (both types of capitalization are used) are actually spiritual triads because they are called “permanent triads”.
224. We know that once the atomic triangle is created (with the gradual emergence of the mental unit) it is not a permanent triad. It is destined for disintegration at the first great liberation—the fourth initiation. But from the time of the Second Outpouring, the Monad has selected three atoms from the atmic, buddhic and higher mental planes, respectively, which, through an act of sustained monadic association, it rendered relatively “permanent”. It may be presumed that the selection of these permanent atoms preceded the selection of the permanent atoms of the astral plane and etheric plane upon which the Monad would depend for its sojourn through the lower three kingdoms. Thus the permanent atoms of the spiritual triads would have a greater permanence than the two lower permanent atoms and certainly than the mental unit which emerged very late in the developmental process of the Monad.
225. Here are the collected references and some brief commentary.
On the involutionary path you have what is termed the Group Soul, aptly described (as far as earth words permit) as a collection of triads, enclosed in a triple envelop of monadic essence. On the evolutionary path, groups of causal bodies correspond and are similarly composed, three factors entering in. (LOM 29)
226. Monadic essence is substance of the atomic subplane of any plane. If the triads in the “collection of triads” was of a lower nature and included a mental unit (for, the atomic triangle), the type of “essence” enfolding it would not be “monadic” but “elemental”.
227. The three focal points within the human spiritual triad , however, are all found upon atomic subplanes of their respective systemic plane and, thus, can be enclosed “in a triple envelop of monadic essence”. The triple envelop can exist because three kinds of monadic essence are available.
228. We continue with references related to triads and permanent triads…
3. The entities who are the sumtotal of those group souls who contain definite permanent triads. Nine triads constitute the body of one of these entities. (TCF 533)
229. Note here the term “permanent triads”.
On the path of involution it [the Law of Disintegration] controls the process of the breaking up of group souls; it governs the periods when the permanent triads are transferred from one form to another; (TCF 580-581)
230. Note here, again, the term “permanent triads”.
2. It stimulates the efforts of the highest specimens of the third kingdom, and a dual effect is produced through this, for the fourth kingdom in nature makes its appearance on the physical plane and the Triads are reflected on the mental plane in the causal bodies to be found thereon. (TCF 694-695)
231. We now continue our discussion of “a curiously interesting sequence of the three lines of force”.
b. The appearance of triple natured man in the third root race.
232. “Triple natured man” appearing at individualization in the third root race is man as spiritual triad (this he was before he was “man”), man as personality (at least in embryo) and man as individualized soul on the higher mental plane.
233. He could also be called “triple natured” in the lower sense because he possesses not only a physical permanent atom and an astral permanent atom but an individualized mind through the angelically stimulated mental unit.
c. The triads in the causal bodies of any self-conscious unit.
234. Note in the following excerpt a reference which clarifies the existence of the “triads in the casual body of any self-conscious unit”
the fourth kingdom in nature makes its appearance on the physical plane and the Triads are reflected on the mental plane in the causal bodies to be found thereon. (TCF 694-695)
235. If we study these three related lines of force we will see that the spiritual triads (the “permanent triads”) are involved in each example.
These building devas [closely allied, we are told, with the Solar Angels] are the ones who take up the sound as the Ego sends it forth through certain of the transmitting deva agencies, and by the vibration which this sets up they drive into activity the surrounding deva essence in their two groups:
236. We must remind ourselves that the “building devas” (we have been speaking of “the very highest type of building devas”) are not the “transmitting deva agencies”—the microcosmic “transmitters of the word”.
237. The devas we are now discussing are those who are related most closely to the permanent atoms.. They seem to have a first ray function as the drive into activity the surrounding deva essence in two groups. They selectively drive the lesser devas through the power of vibration. And yet, they are also magnetic (as we learn elsewhere), gathering and aggregating substance around the lower permanent atoms.
238. These high building devas seem to have a driving influence just as Vulcan has. Vulcan is a first ray planet with great building powers (as its inner rays seem to be on the building line), but also the magnetic Jupiterian and Venusian influence.
239. In this case, the term “deva essence” (as here used) does not only mean ‘passive deva substance, for it includes “those who build the form”—not only those who are built into the form. Those builders (the third group discussed above) who aggregate and mould are included.
240. The term “deva essence” is perhaps a little confusing as it embraces not only the “building essence” which is built into form, but also some of the lower “builders—i.e., the members of the third group of devas (discussed above) who respond to the “initial vibration” (of the second group) which is set up in response to the transmitted “note” of the first group.
241. Here is a reference which helps us distinguish the term “building essence” from the more general term “deva essence”.
The three grades of building essence which are built into forms through the activity of the above four groups are here briefly recognised as the mental substance, built into the mental body, the astral substance, built into the astral vehicle and the matter of the physical body. (TCF 937)
242. We continue in our discussion of the groups of devas who are driven into activity by this “highest group of building devas”—i.e., the ones who are most connected with magnetic power (and, apparently, driving power) of the mental unit, astral permanent atom and physical permanent atom—sustaining the integrity of these tiny focal points of power, vitalizing them and imbuing them with ray quality as needed according to instruction by the Ego.
a. Those who build the form.
243. These are the lesser builders in a number of varieties, one major variety for each of the four personality vehicles.
244. These include those who further aggregate and mould into form the substance gathered by the second group, They are manipulators of substance and build it into specified forms.
b. Those who are built into the form.
245. These are the “building essences”. They are not elementals, per se. They are “elemental essence”.
246. Are we clear now:
a. There are transmitting devas
b. There are magnetic building devas associated with the mental unit and lower permanent atoms
c. There are aggregating, moulding builders who build “building essence” into form, under the impulsion of the transmitters and the devas associated with the members of the atomic triangle,
d. And, there is that which is built into form—“building essence”, variously described throughout these pages.
They [the builders associated with the mental unit and lower permanent atoms] only affect those of analogous vibration.
247. The driving (and magnetic) activity is accomplished selectively through the power of vibration.
248. We are saying that the highest group of building devas has a driving effect upon those devas above who are called “those who build the form” and “those who are built into the form”. They are able to do this because of the vibration (within themselves) set up by the transmitting devas who have received that impulsed sound or note from the Ego.
The stages of the building of any of the four forms through which lower man (the Quaternary) functions, follow exactly analogous stages to the building of the dense physical body, for instance, of a planet, or of a solar system.
249. DK speaks of the logical nature of the building process.
250. We are speaking of the building of the “four forms through which the lower man…functions”.
251. We have already spoken above of the sequential yet overlapping procedure in this type of building.
252. Presumably, each vehicle will pass through its own type of conception, growth, coordination, organization, utilization and disintegration.
This can be traced all the way from the nebulous and chaotic stages through the fiery to the solid, or to the relatively solid where a subtle body is concerned.
253. DK gives us some idea of what He means. There is progress from a nebulous and chaotic stage, through a fiery stage, to a more condensed stage varying in degree of solidity.
254. Earlier in the book when discussing Alchemy, we examined some of these stages and this would be a good time to review what was there given. (cf. TCF 476-477, 479)
There is no need for us further to enlarge. H. P. B. has outlined these stages in the Secret Doctrine,86 [S.D., I, 279, 280] and they have been dealt with in an earlier part of this Treatise.
255. We can study the sections of alchemy for a more detailed sequence.
We have dealt at some length already with the work [Page 941] of the transmitting devas upon the three planes in the three worlds,
256. Transmitting devas are found on all three planes of the three personality vehicles, though on the mental plane they are found on the fourth subplane rather than the first.
and with that of the devas connected with those relatively permanent focal points—the permanent atoms within the causal periphery.
257. So, two types of devas are here listed:
a. The transmitting devas
b. The devas connected with the permanent atoms
We can now consider the group of builders [a third group] who, responding to the note of the transmitting agencies and to the initial vibration of the second group of builders concerned with the triple lower self, begin the work of aggregating and moulding the living substance necessary for egoic manifestation upon the lower planes.
258. We have inserted this section of text above where it was needed to elucidate other points. In short we are now about to deal with another group of builders. In a way, all devas are to be called “builders” even if they are transmitters.
We have seen that the first three stages of the egoic work are:
259. From what is said below, these three stages are all part of one preliminary or preparatory stage which does not end in manifestation.
260. DK is recapitulating—
1. The sounding of the appropriate note, which note is indicative of man's place in evolution, and of the nature of his "psyche," or Ego.
261. This is the note of the Ego. It indicates the quality of the man and the type of creativity in which he will engages as he seeks expression.
262. For interesting information on the sounding of this note, see LOM, 19-21.
2. The transmission of this note by the solar Angel,
263. The “solar Angel” transmits this note but it is via the “transmitters of the word” that this transmission occurs.
and the three groups of devas connected with the three permanent atoms.
264. The three groups of devas connected with the three permanent atoms are building devas (and they come in two varieties—higher and lower) They are not transmitters. Sometimes, as well, their building function is not so much emphasized as their gathering and aggregating function.
3. The vibration set up within these atoms which is in line with the note sounded,
265. The permanent atoms vibrate in a certain way according to the nature of the note sounded by the Ego and transmitted by the “transmitters of the word”.
266. The transmitted note or word, however, is passed through the devas who are closely associated with the permanent atoms.
267. We have seen over and again that a “vibration [is] set up” in this second group of devas.
and which becomes so strong as to make itself felt in the surrounding deva substance, thus awakening response.
268. The original vibration or note having been set up within the permanent atoms and passed on impresses the surrounding “deva substance”.
269. The term “deva substance”, in this context, is generic and includes, we may infer, not only passive building essence and negative substance, but certain lesser builders (manipulating devas—aggregators and moulders) who continue the process of aggregating, coordinating, moulding and condensing the body of building essence which has been gathered magnetically through the work of the highest building devas working through the mental unit and two lower permanent atoms.
These may be considered as the three primary stages,
270. Transmission, magnetic gathering, moulding/manipulating…
271. They are primary, because they do not yet lead to concrete manifestation.
and we find demonstrated (in connection with the microcosm) the three factors of sound, colour and vibration, which, under the Law of Analogy, reflect the three aspects of the macrocosm.
272. Does DK mean to compare the three stages with the three factors here listed—sound, colour and vibration?
273. If so, it is difficult to know in what order we should arrange these three.
274. If the note is sounded first, it would seem that sound should be the first factor.
275. We are told that a vibration corresponding to the original note is set up within the permanent atoms. In this case, the factor of vibration correlates with that group of building devas (the second group) closely associated with the mental unit and lower permanent atoms.
276. This leaves colour for the final stage of concretization and, so we see, “veiling” of the original impulse through a cloak of building essence. The term “colour” signifies a veil.
277. The type of arrangement suggested is possible, and yet vibration, sound and color are one and the same. They, really, are inseparable from each other. If any one of these factors is in operation, the other two are as well.
278. Still the order suggested seems reasonable (sound, vibration color) even though it is different from the order which so often appears in TCF—vibration, light, sound, color. Biblically, sound precedes light. At least color uphold the final (and most concrete?) position.
Here too is found a resemblance to the work of the first three Sephiroths of the Kabbalah,—the primary stage of manifestation finding its dim reflection in the work of the Ego in the three worlds.
279. There are three stages in the process and DK is suggesting a correlation with the functions of the first three Sephiroth.
280. But what are the “first three Sephiroth”? Is it possible that DK is working His way upwards from below?
281. Or is He considering a reflection of the highest three Sephiroth is relatively low building processes within the personality?
282. The stage of manifestation is usually considered the fourth and most concrete stage.
283. We note the use of the word “resemblance”. We should consider the degree of rigor to be found in the three words “correspondence”, “analogy”, “resemblance”. It is descending sequence.
The second stage now takes place, in which the work of building proceeds [through which set of builders?] until the microcosm, man, makes his appearance upon the physical plane.
284. In the stages of creation as here presented, the first or primary stage (consisting of three parts) is entirely one of preparation.
285. The second stage is the stage of concrete building leading to manifestation or appearance on the physical plane.
286. The third stage follows birth, and is correlated more with the second aspect than with the third—the emergence of the psychic nature through the form.
This is succeeded by a third stage of evolution, in which the psychic nature of man is to demonstrate through the medium of the [Page 942] created forms.
287. The form has appeared on the physical plane.
288. The form is no longer the main objective of the creative process. Rather, it is the adjustment of the form to the psychic nature so that the psychic nature or soul can express itself ever more fully through the created forms.
Then [when the foregoing happens] the next two groups of Sephiroth are seen reproduced in man.
289. It would seem that DK is speaking of groups of three.
290. If DK is working His way upward, the Sephiroth which symbolize the psychic nature (which would include the Ego) are added to the “primary” Sephiroth which symbolize the forms in the three worlds.
291. But He could also be working His way downward, moving towards the manifestation of first psyche, and then Spirit through the created form.
292. Sephiroth can be demonstrated as three triads, and one final sphere of outer manifestation, Malkuth.
He is demonstrated to be nine from another angle but we are only concerned in this section with the builders of the form.
293. If we are working our way upward, and if we extend the thought to man as a nine, we must include the spiritual triad and eventually the Monad itself, Kether.
294. It is legitimate to work one’s way up or down the Tree of Life. To work upward is to work in the direction of liberation. To work downward is to bring about manifestation of the highest spheres in the lowest.
These groups of builders are four in number:
1. The builders of the mental body.
2. The builders of the astral body.
3. The builders of the etheric body.
4. The builders of the dense physical.
295. Presumably, we are not talking about the very highest groups of builders, each of which is associated with one of the permanent atoms or the mental unit. We are speaking of the succeeding group (called above quite frequently, the third group) who do much by way of manipulating the building essence so that it becomes the personality vehicles listed above.
Each of these groups can be subdivided into four or seven or three, according to the plane concerned.
296. This is an interesting statement. Let us see if we can understand its meaning.
297. If each of the groups of builders can be divided into four, seven or three, would this not apply to every plane, because each of these groups of builders can be found only on one plane (if we separate the etheric and dense physical planes and call them two).
298. Assuming that we have seven subplanes to work with, if dividing these groups into seven, there would be one sub-group for each subplane.
299. If divided into three, there are various ways of doing so: 1—1—5; 3—1—3; 2—2—3;
300. If divided into four: 1—2—2—2; 2—2—2—1.
301. Of course, if we look closely at the planes or portions of planes involved we shall have:
a. Mental plane—four subplanes
b. Astral plane—seven subplanes
c. Etheric plane—four subplanes
d. Dense physical plane—three subplanes
302. So we definitely see the numbers mentioned, four, seven and three.
303. We may have to interpret what DK says in another way. When He says “according to the plane concerned”, we may have to focus on the word “each”. Is it used correctly? Does He mean that every one of the four types of builders can be subdivided (all of them) into four and seven and three groupings?
304. Or does He mean that the four groups of builders will naturally be divided according to the number of subplanes to be found on that plane on which they are expressing? There is some sense to this last solution, though if it is correct, the language used to indicate this method is not entirely clear.
Students must remember that matter from the two lowest subplanes of the physical and of the astral planes are never built into the human body as now constituted;
305. This thought has been mentioned earlier in the book, and yet some possible contradictions exist.
306. If we read the following reference how shall we interpret the words “sixth subplane”?
Herein will be found one reason why men of a relatively low type of physical body, and having an astral body with some sixth subplane matter in it are responsive to higher things and have a spiritual aspiration. The influence emanating from the sixth subplane of the buddhic plane calls out a reciprocal response from the sixth subplane matter in other bodies, and the sixth principle of buddhi under the Law of Correspondences intensifies that vibration. (TCF 898)
307. At first, the meaning of this paragraph would seem straightforward, but, upon further examination, it is almost certain that DK means the sixth subplane from below, because the sixth subplane from above would have nothing to do with spiritual aspiration. In fact, it is “off limits” to the normal human being.
308. Yet, what about the correspondence on the buddhic plane? Is it really possible for man to touch the sixth subplane from below on the buddhic plane? When DK gives a list of siddhis or psychic powers for the buddhic plane, He does not even mention the sixth subplane from below because He says it concerns those whose degree is higher than that of an Adept!
309. So, then, maybe there is a connection between the sixth astral subplane (sixth from below) and the sixth buddhic subplane (sixth from above). This type of correspondence is also possible.
310. DK tells us that matter from the lowest two subplanes of the astral and physical plane are never built into the human body “as now constituted”. The last three words are of importance as they suggest that there may have been human beings, earlier in the evolutionary cycle, who had matter of the sixth and seventh subplanes of the astral plane built into their astral bodies, and the same for the physical body.
311. It must be obvious that there is a problem with the statement as it concerns the dense physical body. Do we not all have matter in the liquid state and in the dense mineral state built into our physical body? The answer must be “yes”.
312. So the only way to solve this problem is to redefine the nature of the human physical body. Perhaps the physical body, from the occult perspective (and at present) is considered to consist of matter of only the highest five etheric-physical subplanes. The etheric body, we have often been told, is the real physical body, and the gaseous layer is peculiarly associated with the ethers, but not with the liquid or dense physical subplanes.
313. If this is the case, even if we seem to have the liquid state and the dense mineral state in our physical bodies, these states of matter, from the occult perspective, are not really parts of our real physical body.
314. Why does DK mention in this context the exclusion of the lower two subplanes. Does He want us to count in a new way the subplanes on which the building devas can work or create. If so—
a. Mental plane—four subplanes
b. Astral plane—five subplanes (excluding the lower two)
c. Etheric plane—four subplanes
d. Dense physical plane—only one subplane (excluding the lower two)
315. All in all there are only fourteen subplanes on which the building and creative process can occur. Fourteen is an important number in the constitution of man.
it is of too low a vibration, and too coarse a grade for even the lowest type of men on earth at this time.
316. The words “at this time” point in the same direction as, “as now constituted”.
317. This analysis does not take into consideration the possible physical subplanes even lower the liquid and dense-mineral subplanes. Such extremely dense physical subplanes are sometimes hinted. Could it be to these that DK is referring when speaking of matter which is of too coarse a grade even for the lowest type of men on earth at this time?
It must be pointed out also that in the average man, the matter of some subplane will preponderate according to the depth of his nature and his place on the ladder of evolution.
318. As we consider this possibility, we must remember that the subplanes, themselves, are subdivided into seven, and so the vibratory distinctions between human beings has many levels on which to demonstrate.
Just as each plane has its seven subplanes, so likewise each subplane can be subdivided, thus making forty-nine fires on every plane, or the three hundred and forty-three fires of the solar system. Herein can be found the clue to the mystery of the "fourth between the three" which has at times bewildered students of the occult records. (TCF 905-906)
319. The various rays and astrological factors are correlated with the various subplanes, and sub-subplanes, and so the astrological chart may given hints regarding subplane emphasis.
320. By “depth of his nature”, we may assume that “depth” means “profundity” and not crudity.
321. A Master, we know, is possessed of vehicles which are made entirely of atomic subplane matter. The dense physical body is merely an accretion on the Master’s atomic etheric body—His real physical body, created through the power of Kriyashakti.
The "builders" of the human body work under the direction of one of the Lords of Karma from the lowest group.
322. Now we will be looking at the Supervisors of the builders who build the human being.
323. Since we are concerned with the human body (presumably the physical body, which is the lowest of the human bodies) it is natural that a Lord of Karma from the lowest group would be in charge.
324. However, the term “human body” may mean more than the human physical body. Sometimes, the entire personality is considered “body”.
325. When we speak of the “builders” of the human being, we must understand whether DK’s use of the term “builders” is precise or whether He is speaking in general—including transmitting devas as well as devas associated with the mental unit and lower two permanent atoms, as well as the still lower types of aggregating and moulding builders.
These Lords are to be found in three groups,
326. There are three types of Lords. We do not know how many of them there exist per group.
327. Remembering the idea of three trinities, are there three Lords in each of the three groups?
and a Lord out of the third group has the work of superintending the builders of the human being on the three planes.
328. Here we speak of the “human being on the three planes”. We are not speaking only of the dense physical body.
329. In any case, one Karmic “Lord” from the lowest groups of Karmic Lords superintends the several types of builders who build the human body.
330. We have discussed in some detail the nature of the builders of the human personality.
331. Now we are looking at the Lords, presumably higher devas, who direct these building forces.
332. May we presume that a Lord from the two higher groups superintends the building of a man’s higher vehicles?
333. “a Lord out of the third group…”
are to be found certain karmic agents, who again are divided into the following groups:
334. This is the kind of organizational subdivision which is consistently found in the so-called “Department of Karma”.
1. Three karmic agents responsible to the karmic Lords for the work on the three planes.
335. One karmic “agent” for each plane—mental, astral and physical.
2. Five karmic Lords who work in close connection with the Manus of the various races, and who are responsible for the correct building of the varying race types.
336. Why five we may ask? Five is the number of Brahma and we are working within the Brahmic area of the cosmic physical plane—the eighteen lower subplanes.
337. At the moment we know only of the Manus of the fourth and fifth races, but, perhaps, there are Manus or delegated officials from that department, who work with the various subraces.
338. If we consider that only in the third rootrace is the true human being produced, then numbering from three to seven, we have five rootraces.
3. Karmic agents responsible for the subrace types of the present time. [Page 943]
339. Yes, here it is. There are five sub-race karmic agents to deal with within the subraces of the fifth rootrace, and plans, it would seem, for the unfoldment of the sixth sub-race.
340. As well, there are many Atlantean racial forms still in existence and even some vestiges of the last sub-race of the Lemurian rootrace.
4. Certain intermediary agents who represent (within these three groups) the seven Ray types.
341. No matter what kind of work is to be done, the influence of the seven rays is always inescapable. Forms are moulded by the quality of the Ray Lords.
5. Those agents of the good Law who are connected specifically with the work of the etheric centres, and their response to the different planetary centres.
342. Each of the etheric centers can be closely correlated with one or more planetary centers. In fact, every chakra can receive the influence of all the planets (and their representation through chains and globes). The chakras also have zodiacal and ray affinities.
343. We begin to realize that the building of the human form is exquisitely organized and involves many forms of lives (some vastly superior to the human being) as supervisors.
6. The keepers of the records.
344. These are “Lipika” of various kinds. The third ray, so closely related to the process of karmic administration, is the Ray of Memory, the “Lord of Memory”.. All is recorded in the ‘Memory of Nature’
These various intelligences [and they are all higher intelligences] manipulate the building forces through the medium of streams of energy, which streams are set in motion when the Ego sounds his note.
345. We are given a clear insight into how manipulation of the building forces occurs. It occurs “through the medium of streams of energy”. When we use thought-power to change things, do we not do the same?
346. The manipulators are manipulated.
347. The sounding of the egoic note releases streams of energy. A sounding note will have its energy stream.
348. We begin to understand that sound and music are modes of manipulation. This is a creative process which will be scientifically discovered in the New Age. Even now it can be to some extent employed.
It must be remembered that in more or less degree upon his own plane the Ego is aware of his karma,
349. This vision of karmic liability or potential extends, we may infer, backwards a number of lives and forward as well, as the Ego plans the possibilities for expiation (the balancing of karma) and reward (promotional circumstance) for the sake of greater expression of egoic purpose
350. We can understand by what is said that the Ego is not omniscient. Who is the Ego? It is not the entire intelligence of the major Solar Angel, but a partial presence (through infusion of consciousness) of that Solar Angel within that portion of the Monad which has focused itself on the higher mental plane. The Ego is really two beings—the man and the Angel (who having pervaded the entire universe—the causal body—with a fragment of itself, remains).
and of what must be done to promote growth during the coming incarnation.
351. We are told that before each incarnation the Ego sounds its note, testing for fulness, harmony and whatever other egoic conditions it needs to diagnose.
When the reincarnating unit has reached a point where he can consciously choose his mode of expression, he will first review his past lives, and from the knowledge gained thereby, he will guide his choice for the next. Prior to incarnation he will sound his egoic note and will note the lack of fullness or the discord it may contain; he will then decide upon which note he will base his coming personality vibration. (LOM 19-20)
He [the Ego] works, therefore, in connection with these Lords,
352. It is obvious that the Lords are superior in intelligence and power to the Ego and so are the various karmic agents who work under the Lords (from the lowest group of Lords)
but is only directly in touch with an agent of the sixth group
353. One of the “Keepers of the records”…
and of the fourth.
354. One of the “Intermediary Agents” who represent the seven rays…
Through these two the work proceeds as far as the Ego is individually concerned,
355. The individual Ego has its own agenda and is able to use the information gained from these two sources. The information will touch on the karma which must be balanced or on karmic opportunity which makes further progress possible. The information will also deal with ray opportunity.
356. There is more to the process than the individual approach. The various groups to which the Ego belongs will also have their karma and ray requirements.
and they set in motion for him (after he has sounded his note) the machinery of the Law.
357. So two particular supervisors out of the several, are directly concerned with the Ego’s building process.
358. When DK speaks of the “Law”, it is the manner in which the Law of Karma is administered in the creative process of building vehicles for the Ego’s expression.
359. We see how very much is set in motion as the Ego sounds His note.
360. The Ego is at first very much the Solar Angel and later, as that extension of the Monad which we call the “man” evolves, the Ego becomes more and more than man, in addition to the Solar Angel.
The builders of the human personality again are divided into seven main groups;
361. We are speaking of the ray conditioning of the deva builders of the human personality.
all devas, just as is the case with the human Monads, come under one or other of the seven Rays,
362. If we look for one application of the number fourteen, we see that assigning the seven rays to both humans and devas results in this number. When it comes to the combined work of men and devas, the number fourteen is a unitive number.
363. As well, DK seems to be telling us that there are seven monadic types. Is He speaking of the possibility of seven monadic rays? This idea seems confirmed in a number of references. Or is He saying that the projections of the Monads as Egos come under the seven rays. Both, it seems, are true.
and are responsive to one or other of the seven logoic streams of fiery energy.
364. Rays are here defined as “seven logoic streams of fiery energy”, thus relating the seven rays to the Solar Logos.
According to a man's egoic Ray, so will be the type of deva substance influenced.
365. In this case the seven rays are related to the Ego. They could also be related to a man’s monadic ray and sub-ray.
366. There is a great ocean of deva substance, generically considered. Obviously not all of it responds resonantly to the sounding of the egoic note and the transmission and elaboration of that note through various deva agencies.
367. There is a great vibratory selectivity occurring, based initially and fundamentally on the ray quality of the egoic note. Other qualitative specifications may also be involved.
These builders work with certain elementals, but it is only upon the physical plane that any idea can be given as to their nature and work.
368. We are speaking of the builders of a human being’s personality.
369. It is obvious that we have to differentiate “builders” from “elementals” even though some elementals can be considered “builders”—lesser builders.
370. There is so much overlap between these various categories that we must remain ever alert regarding the group or groups that DK is referencing.
371. Later sections in TCF tell us much, seemingly, about the nature and work of the elementals on the astral and mental planes as well.
These elementals are the little entities who, adhering to the plan as embodied by the builders, blindly construct the fabric of the body, and form the sheaths through which the Ego is to express himself.
372. These two sections of text are useful in discriminating the nature of elementals from “building essence”, “elemental essence” or “deva substance”.
373. The “builders” are their guides—the guides of the elementals (as elementals are here defined). They adhere to the builder’s plans, but they do so “blindly”, which means they are certainly not self-conscious, though, since they are actually builders rather than that which is built, they may be considered to be on the evolutionary path.
374. That is one of the key questions: are elementals on the evolutionary path or not? Probably the references available to us are not decisive in this regard.
375. The term “elementals” is fairly elastic and seems to include builders as well as that which is build. In other worlds “building essence” or “elemental essence” is sometime called by the name “elementals”.
376. We must ask, are the third category of devas (which are really manipulating devas who aggregate and mould) to be called “elementals”. The term “elementals” has a range which seems to include certain kinds of manipulating devas (such as the “elemental alchemists” who build the etheric doubles of the mineral kingdom) all the way to very low and passive lives which are obviously on the involutionary arc.
On the etheric planes they [presumably, these little elemental lives] build the real "form" out of etheric substance.
377. This little elemental entities are here defines as definitely distinct from etheric substance. They are the builders and etheric substance is that which is built.
and produce the sheath of intricate lines of interlacing fiery strands, which is in [Page 944] reality an extension of the sutratma, or life thread.
378. Here we have an excellent depiction of the etheric body. If we cannot see these things for ourselves, as one day we will see them, we need very good descriptions which will allow our imagination to picture these energy fields
379. The strands or nadis of the etheric body are fiery. They are living substance animated by the fire of Brahma. Even the Ego lies within the realm of ‘solar Brahma’ (the lower twenty-one subplanes). The intricate lines or strands would not be fiery unless they were vitalized by fire ‘from above’.
380. An important idea is that the etheric sheath is “an extension of the sutratma of life thread”. From this great ‘life-line’, life flows into every vehicle from the Ego and, ultimately, from the Monad, itself.
As it is woven and interlaced it becomes vitalised with the life energy sent down from the Ego, just as Shiva, the Father, gives to the Son the real "bios" or life, while the Mother warms, builds, and nourishes the body.
381. The ‘fabric’ of the etheric body is portrayed as distinct from the vitalizing “life energy” sent down from the Ego.
382. Analogically, the Ego (in this context) is understood as the Father and the etheric body as the Son. On a higher turn of the spiral, the Monad is the Father and the Ego is the Son.
383. The builders guiding the little elementals are the weavers, and that which they weave becomes vitalized by the Ego as it, itself, is vitalized by the Monad.
384. From one perspective, the Mother is related only the three dense physical subplanes, but from another (a cosmic perspective), the lower eighteen subplanes are the domain of the Mother and her warming, building and nourishing of the bodies proceeds in relation to all those subplanes.
The work of the etheric elementals reaches its primary consummation when the sutratma is connected with the three centres of the physical nature within the cranium—the pineal gland, the pituitary body, and the alta major centre.
385. This is an important piece of occultism. The little elementals have to connect the sutratma to the three physical centers within the cranium. These three dense physical centers are the representatives within the head of the major head centers within the etheric-physical.
386. We must note that the alta major center is listed instead of the carotid gland. So we have two dense glands or bodies and one etheric center within the head. Perhaps if He has wished to be more specific, DK would have mentioned the carotid gland as a physical anchor for the alta major center.
Occultly, the most important connection is the entrance of the sutratma into the centre at the top of the head, that through which the life of the etheric body withdraws at the moment of death. This is the vital point.
387. DK is still discussing the building of the personality apparatus of the human being by the deva builders responsible for that task.
388. Note the double use of language in the sentence “this is a vital point”, which indicates the portal of vitalization and devitalization at the top of the head.
389. When death ensues, the dense physical body experiences complete devitalization, although the life of the very lowest material aspect still remains.
The "thread" of life there, by the time the seventh year is reached, has divided itself into three branches, reaching out to the three centres.
390. The seventh year stands out as important for many reasons and one of them is being given here. By the time the seventh year is reached, the foundation of the potential triangular stimulation of the three dense centers in the head has been created.
391. We have read of the fiery triangle between the crown center, the ajna center and the alta major center which is completed in form by the time of the third initiation. It stands to reason that there will be a corresponding relationship between those dense physical precipitations (glands, bodies in the head) which represent those etheric centers.
The realisation of this fact will eventually prove of much interest to scientists.
392. Presumably we are speaking of scientists in the psychological and medical fields.
A good deal of imbecility, or of arrested development will be found to have its origin in the etheric connection with these three centres.
393. If the vitality descending the sutratma cannot reach these glands, then they cannot perform their function. The physical mechanism, in the worst cases, cannot be intelligently directed, or is lesser cases, is imperfectly so.
394. We are speaking of conditions in which the inner man cannot reach and control his outer apparatus.
The etheric web is literally the fine network of fiery threads which spreads itself over the centre, and forms an area of fairly large dimensions. It separates the two bodies, astral and physical.
395. The etheric webs are definitely made of ether, though we might call the webs ‘reinforced ether’
396. In a way, the ethers always separate the astral from the physical bodies, but as the centers are channels for the exchange of energy, it is they which must be particularly reinforced to prevent premature (and potentially over-stimulating and disorganizing) interchange of energies between different levels of the energy system.
A similar corresponding area will be found in the solar system. Through it the cosmic forces must pass to the different planetary schemes.
397. We have described for us the solar systemic etheric webs.
398. Apparently the solar system must be protected from premature infusions of energy from the cosmic astral plane!
399. As the planets are considered chakras within the energy system of the Solar Logos, the analogy is sound.
400. We may suppose that within the body of the solar system, the physical vehicle of the Solar Logos, there are certain chakras which must be differentially stimulated (depending upon the degree of the advancement of the Solar Logos, Himself).
401. When the human being, for instance, has not yet developed any consciousness of the soul, it is inadmissible for there to be a great stimulation of the head center. It would very premature and dangerously disorganizing to the integrity of the personality. The analogy, holds good, for planets.
402. Our Earth is still a non-sacred planet and, therefore, its monadic ray is occultly non-effective. The etheric crown center of our Planetary Logos can only receive the degree of stimulation from the planetary logoic Ego or Monad appropriate to its level of unfoldment. With respect to our Planetary Logos, the power of the Monad cannot be released through the planetary head center with any degree of fulness, and perhaps this will not happen until the very end of this mahamanvantara or into the next.
The elemental groups of the dense physical plane who are swept into activity by the builders, are three in number:
403. The builders who sweep the elementals of the dense physical plane into activity are located on the etheric plane.
a. The gaseous elementals.
b. The liquid elementals.
c. The strictly dense elementals.
404. These physical elementals are, again, not “building essence”, but are, themselves, tiny building entities, blind, though possessing intelligence—the intelligence of the matter aspect.
405. We must return to those elementals who, in earlier references, are called “seeing elementals” and see if the three types here described are “seeing elementals”.
406. In earlier references, however, it seemed that “seeing elementals” were involved in the construction of etheric doubles.
407. DK now differentiates their functions according to dense physical subplane.
One group concerns itself with the fiery channels, with the fires of the human body, and with the different gases to be found within the human periphery.
408. Let us tabulate the ‘concerns’ of the gaseous elementals:
a. They are concerned with the fiery channels. These channels are originally etheric, but the degree to which the etheric energies can vitalize the liquid-dense and strictly dense portions of the dense physical subplanes depends upon activities within the physical gaseous subplane.
b. They are concerned with the fires of the human body. Analogously, and on the dense physical plane, we know that fire will not burn without the presence of the oxygen in the air
c. They are concern with the different gases to be found within the human periphery. The functions of these various gases have probably not been fully explored. We speak of “vital airs” which term suggests gaseous streams.
409. DK now deals with the liquid elementals.
Another group [Page 945] is to be seen working in connection with the circulatory system, and with all the liquids, juices, and waters of the body;
410. Three interesting terms are given in relation to the work of the liquid elementals:
411. One suspects that they can be differentiated, and that the term “juices” covers certain vital fluids which are indispensable for the functioning of the dense physical body.
412. Many discoveries along these lines lie ahead in the medical sciences. Many discoveries have already been made but they have not been put in the context of the occult sciences.
413. DK now describes the third group of elementals—those building on the densest of the physical subplanes. He calls them the “strictly dense elementals”.
414. Given all the extraordinary detail presented in this book, are we not impressed by how little we know and how much there is to learn?
whilst the third is largely involved in the construction of the frame, through the right apportioning of the minerals and chemicals.
415. The densest aspects of the physical frames is the skeletal structure, but of course, though the organs and tissues of the body are far softer, they are not entirely in the liquid domain and must require the work of both of the lowest two types of physical elementals.
A hint in connection with medicine is here to be found; it is occultly true that just as the liquid devas and elementals are closely related to the vegetable kingdom, and both to the plane of the emotions, the logoic liquid body, so the ills of men which affect the circulatory system, the kidneys, the bladder, and the lubrication of the joints, will find a CURE in vegetable constituents and above all in the right adjustment of the emotional nature.
416. It could not be more clearly stated. The correspondences are there.
417. The circulatory system, the kidneys and bladder, and the lubrication of the joints are singled out because they are all involved in the distribution and managements of body liquids or fluids..
418. This is one of the great examples of how the Law of Correspondences can have extremely practical implications.
419. It is our task to examine the usual diseases of all these systems and to find the emotional condition (arising on the cosmic liquid plane) which, ultimately, is the cause. As for the vegetable constituents, the means of amelioration which they provide must be discovered.
420. DK seems to be warning those who suffer from illness of these bodily systems that they should not eat meat.
421. We note, however, that the right adjustment of the emotional nature is paramount.
Several influences other than those mentioned have to be considered when the subject of the work of these builders of man's body is under discussion.
422. We remind ourselves that we are discussing the building of the human body and the builders who build that body.
423. Again, no matter how terminology is occasionally used imprecisely, elementals are builders rather than passive substance which is built.
Not only are they [the builders] affected by:
a. A man's note,
b. The colour poured forth by the transmitting agents,
c. The karmic agents,
424. This is in the nature of a review and some clarification of uncertainties earlier in the text may be noticed.
425. Earlier we were dealing with sound, color and vibration—seeking the order in which they should be placed and the types of transmitting devas with which they should be associated.
426. With “sound” there was no problem. The factor of sound was allocated to the Ego (although, in a more general sense, all vibration sounds).
427. Here we see, however, that the transmitting devas (the highest kind of devas responsible for creating the personal human energy system) pour forth colour!
428. The builders (associated with the members of the atomic triangle), ‘beneath’ the transmitters are not even mentioned.
429. We had originally allocated colour to the effect of the very lowest kinds of building devas, but now find that the transmitters are pouring it forth.
430. It is as if the transmitters not only transmit the note of the Ego but transmit the equivalent of that note in color. It is as if the transmitters are contacting certain building devas (characterized by certain colors) by means of the colour poured forth. We remember DK’s emphasis upon the ‘differential response’ within devic substance.
431. With the intricacies of these processes we cannot proceed in any depth, but we are gathering how important are vibration, sound and color in the building process which creates man as we know him in the three worlds.
432. In the impending seventh ray/fourth ray Age, much anent vibration, light, sound and color will be revealed and man will have new and unbelievable powers with which to express his growing creativity.
433. As for man the magician, in order to be a creator, he must learn to do within his tiny sphere what greater agencies do to create his vehicles.
but they come under:
434. DK will now bring forward a larger picture, introducing other and wider factors which must be considered when we think of the creation of man’s personality vehicles.
d. Group karma and vibration which will sweep in another group of agencies and builders, and thus affect a man's bodies,
435. Man is not only the individual. He is a member of other groups, all of which have their own karma. To the karma of these he is subject without being able to do very much about it.
436. And, there are certain karmic agents (representing different levels of karma with which a man is involved, usually unconsciously so) which necessarily involve themselves in the formation of a man’s vehicles.
437. Family karma, racial karma, national karma, ray-group karma, the karma of humanity—in all these groups the human unit finds its place and to the karmic necessary karmic adjustments required in these groups, he is subject.
e. Racial karma, an extension of the above,
438. This was mentioned. When we think of the Jews as “the karmic clearing house” within humanity, we can see that membership in the Jewish group implies some inescapable karmic conditions and contact with certain karmic agents.
439. While there is much racial admixture, the white, black, brown, yellow and ‘red’ races are all under internal management within the Department of the Manu and all have destined karmic adjustments administered by designated karmic adjustors.
f. Forces playing upon the planet from another scheme, or through the formation of a systemic triangle,
440. In this case we can think not only of Venus but of Mars. Other Planetary Logoi may be involved. Through his ray structure, and his membership in certain egoic groups, and also because the manner in which he was individualized and the time when individualization took place, different human beings are related differently to the various planetary schemes coming under their influence or “rulership” in different ways.
g. A cosmic triangle of force of some specific kind which may bring in entities and energies of any particular scheme incident upon the karma of the planetary Logos.
441. Entry from the planet Vulcan (bringing, we may hypothesize, many “Primary Lotuses”) is a case in point. DK has also told us of significant inflows of Egos from Venus and Jupiter. (cf. TCF 841)
442. We cannot know the nature of such a “cosmic triangle”. The Solar Logos and even Planetary Logoi are mentioned as “cosmic” Beings. Could we be speaking of a triangle between, for instance, the Sun, a certain planetary scheme and the Earth?
443. It sounds as if energies and entities from any or all of the Planetary Logoi could be drawn into the energy system of our Earth.
444. The karma of our Planetary Logos seems to be the predisposing factor in the process of attracting energy/entity streams from other planetary schemes.
445. We see, from the larger perspective, how many factors can influence the building of a human being’s personality vehicles. Who would suspect that so many factors could be involved?
It will, therefore, be apparent to the student how intricate this subject is
446. Master DK is a Master of intricate thought, but He also has the wisdom to know when that intricacy should not be too fully presented. As a Master-Teacher He seeks to illumine the mind and expand the consciousness but not to overwhelm.
and how truly each man is the outcome of force of some kind—egoic primarily, but also [Page 946] planetary, and even systemic.
447. What we are as human beings in the three lower worlds is largely egoically determined, but there are more remote causes as well, and of these we must have at least some notion. The Ego is affected, we know, by ray, planetary, and zodiacal influences, and these are mediated to the builders who serve the Ego in creating its personality instrument.
Yet withal, no man is ever put into circumstances which are insurmountable, once he has reached the point where he has intelligently put himself on the side of evolution, or of God.
448. Is DK suggesting that the human being is put into some insurmountable circumstances before he has reached the point where he has thrown the weight of his mind and desires on the side of evolution?
449. The statement above is reassuring. Those who will be reading the works of the Tibetan with any degree of application will have made the decision to serve evolution “or…God”. We are therefore, reassured, that wherever we find ourselves, in whatever circumstances, our challenges are not insurmountable. At least there can be a significant gain in consciousness, regardless of apparent difficulties or even tragedies in the world of form.
Prior to that he may, and will, be driven by the gales of circumstance;
450. This is what DK has called being “drive up and down the land”. He is swept by irresistible forces and has no say regarding the forces which sweep him
451. The correct appropriation of the energies of Saturn bring this phase to a close.
452. We are also reminded of the involuntary sacrifices to which the human being is subjected when working upon the third petal in the first tier of the egoic lotus—a sacrifice petal.
the press of group and racial karma
453. People are caught up in terrible circumstances through race wars, attempted genocides, etc.
will force him into situations necessary for the process of awakening him to his own innate possibilities.
454. Much of this is accomplished in the Hall of Ignorance, climaxing with the kinds of events which transpire in the work of the third petal.
455. Master M has told us that “obstacles are possibilities”. Apparently, very difficult circumstances will either awaken the human being to “his own innate possibilities” or will temporarily crush him, thus awakening in him the resolve to avoid such a crushing experience in the future.
Once he becomes the conscious builder himself,
seeking to control the forces and builders of his lower nature, and to
456. The discipline of overwhelming circumstance can be removed. He will guide himself in a suitable direction and no longer needs to be swept along against his desires—we could hardly say “will”.
457. We are dealing with conditions and conditioning—the realm of lower Saturn. We note that Saturn is in detriment (weakened) in Leo, the sign of the inner, positive Self. As the soul-center within man increases in power, man becomes positive to circumstance (a Leo and solar ability), becoming Self-directing.
He becomes a ruler, a builder, and a transmitter, until the time comes when he is one with the solar Angels, and the work of human evolution is accomplished.
458. Man as a ruler, or inner ruler, is the ‘king’ of his own little system. This is an advanced Leonian state. Man becomes solarized.
459. Man is taking over the functions of the higher builders and eventually, as he becomes one with the Solar Angels, of the Solar Angels themselves.
460. Then man himself becomes the “Builder” and, identified with the Ego, the transmitter.
461. It is all a question of the gradual assumption of spiritual responsibility.
462. To become one with the Solar Angels does not indicate that man has ascended to their high spiritual status, but rather than he has merged himself with that aspect of their presence which underlies the egoic lotus and which has supervised his evolution over millions of years. Man, then, becomes his own supervisor.
What has been said above is very superficial, and only that has been imparted which has a profound significance for man at this time.
463. One can only imagine what the Tibetan must know if what He has given seems to him superficial!
464. As human beings, we must necessarily solve our own problems first before we can be effective on a planetary level (though there is naturally interdependence between the smaller and larger spheres).
Much must be inferred, and more must be arrived at under the Law of Correspondences.
465. DK is telling us how to proceed. Infer and apply the Law of Correspondences. We are to use our reason on the way to developing Pure Reason. It is a monumental task, but those who are willing to spend their time in the deepening of their education in spiritual occultism can go a long way in developing the higher understanding.
It must ever be borne in mind likewise that our basic conception is one of fiery energy, of force centres set in motion, and kept in active vibration, by the pulsation of still greater centres.
466. DK has laid out a large perspective which we are to maintain.
467. We are to hold the vision of—
a. Fiery energy
b. Force centers set in motion (displaying fiery energy and energized by sources of fiery energy)
c. Force centers kept in active vibration
d. Force centers set in motion and kept in active vibration by the pulsation of still greater centers.
468. When we deal with “pulsation”, we are entering the domain of the first ray. The Jewel in the Lotus, the generically first ray center within the egoic lotus, pulsates and thus energizes all other aspects of the lotus and the personality expression of the egoic lotus within the three lower worlds.
Every form is built of fiery atoms, or energetic lives, through the agency of greater lives, and is held in coherent form within the still greater sheaths,—that greater sheath being to the lesser what the macrocosm is to the microcosm.
469. DK offers a picture of creative coherency.
470. It is well to remember that atoms are not just material structures but are tiny expressions of fire.
471. In all this creative process we have to look to the greater, encompassing lives as major factors inducing coherency is lesser lives.
472. The greater holds the lesser together.
473. Fiery atoms may be of all kinds. Some are substantial—i.e., a part of that which we call “building essence”, “elemental essence” or “deva substance” (in its lowest category).
474. But “fiery atoms” can also be permanent atoms which are relatively large composite structures.
All these groups of building lives may be divided into three groups of energy units, and their nature deduced from the phrases:
1. Groups of lives animated by dynamic energy. [the energy of Shiva]
2. Groups of lives animated by radiant energy. . [the energy of Vishnu]
3. Groups of lives animated by atomic energy. . [the energy of Brahma]
475. This is the overview. When DK speaks of “groups of building lives” He is including many kinds of lives mentioned in the foregoing pages.
476. The lives animated by dynamic energy are Builders who are animated by Spirit/Monad and (within the cosmic physical plane) build within the realms of the cosmic ethers.
477. The lives animated by radiant energy are Builders within the domain of the second aspect, and, as regards man, build within the realm where solar fire predominates. For man, this is the higher mental plane. Many builders of the human personality are animated by the Ego, the source of radiant energy.
478. Within the realm of matter/substance, are lives animated by atomic energy. These are the blind, substantial lives, the “building essence” which is mounded by the two higher groups of lives.
479. We are examining the dynamic energy of Spirit; the radiant energy of soul; the atomic energy of matter. These are the three great divisions to be kept in mind as we attempt to understand the macrocosm and microcosm.
These again are the sumtotal of the three fires, electric fire, solar fire and fire by friction.
480. Another name for dynamic energy is electric fire. There are many dynamic lives within the realm of electric fire.
481. Another name for radiant energy is solar fire. There are many radiant live with the realm of solar fire.
482. Another name for atomic energy is fire by friction. There are many atomically vivified lives within the realm of fire by friction.
In terms of the cosmic [Page 947] physical plane, the correspondence to the systemic plane can be seen in the following tabulation:
483. Important and thought provoking correspondences.
484. From the systemic perspective and that of the systemic physical plane, dynamic energy is found on the atomic subplane of the etheric-physical plane; radiant energy upon the lower three ethers of the systemic physical plane; atomic energy upon the three dense levels of the systemic physical plane.
485. If we take the macrocosmic correspondence and consider the cosmic physical plane as a whole, we have that which is given below.
1. Dynamic energy...electric fire.....atomic subplane. First etheric substance. Plane adi.
2. Radiant energy...solar fire........three cosmic etheric levels. Logoic etheric body.
3. Atomic energy...fire by friction...three planes of the three worlds. Logoic dense vehicle.
486. The true home of electric fire (as far as the cosmic physical plane is concerned) is not all the cosmic etheric planes—rather, most focally, the plane of adi.
487. First etheric substance is cosmic-physical “monadic essence”.
488. Radiant energy is not confined to the domain of solar fire as the average disciple or aspirant experiences it, but expresses through the three lower cosmic ethers.
489. We are reminded that within the realm of Agni (considered as the personality of the Solar Logos) solar fire expresses on the cosmic physical plane through the second, third and fourth ethers.
He [Lord Agni] shows forth as solar fire on the second, third and fourth, and as 'fire by friction' on the fifth, sixth and seventh. (TCF 521-522)
490. As, from the solar-logoic perspective, the three lower cosmic physical subplanes are not principled, they are the natural domain for the expression of the atomic energy of the solar logoic physical body. For the Solar Logos this includes the higher mental plane, though it can be questioned whether this is the case for our Planetary Logos.
491. We have probably gathered by examining this chart that our normal human lives are conducted within the realm of “atomic energy” and under the energy of fire by friction. Even what we call solar fire as it expresses through the Ego on the higher mental plane, is from the solar perspective, still fire by friction.
492. From this perspective, we only begin to experience true solar fire once we are polarized on the fourth cosmic ether, the buddhic plane.
Each plane will be found to reflect this order in an interesting manner.
493. We can work out these correspondences, and no doubt, in the new esoteric schools of the future, it will be done as part of normal class work.