Fellowship of Cosmic Fire
Commentary Semester VIII Section XII Part II
TCF 1070-1078 : S8S12
Most of the Tibetan’s text is put in font 16, to provide better legibility when projected during classes. Footnotes and references from other AAB Books and from other pages of TCF are put in font 14. Commentary appears in font 12. Underlining, Bolding and Highlighting by MDR)
It is suggested that this Commentary be read with the TCF book handy, for the sake of continuity. As analysis of the text is pursued, many paragraphs are divided, and the compact presentation in the book, itself, will convey the overall meaning of the paragraph. So please read an entire paragraph and then study the Commentary
1. We continue with the theme of radiation and radioactivity.
In considering this vast subject of radiation, which is the result of spiral-progressive movement,
2. Let us be reminded of how this discussion arose.
3. The effect of the first and second aspects combined, upon the third aspect, produce radiation.
4. From this perspective, the soul produces radiation for it is responsible for inducing spiral-cyclic motion in the human energy system. The soul, we remember, carries the presence of the first aspect in the Jewel in the Lotus, so the combination of first and second rays is present.
it might be of interest if I here pointed out that in every kingdom of nature there are certain focal points of energy which, as the aeons gradually sweep along, bring the atomic substance of which all forms in all kingdoms are composed to the point where they become radioactive and achieve [Page 1071] liberation.
5. These focal points are obscure and of them we have no real notion unless we are informed, as is now the case
6. These focal points of energy are magnetic centers which draw upon the encapsulated essence, the “lower spark of life”, promoting its liberation from the confining form.
(The term "liberation" really means the ability of any conscious atom
7. Much depends on what precisely is meant by a “conscious atom”. It is the nucleus of life and consciousness or is it the entire atom?
to pass out of one sphere of energised influence into another of a higher vibration, of larger and wider expanse of conscious realisation.)
8. The question is, “Is the entire atom preserved when its passes out of one sphere into another of higher vibration”? To a point it must be preserved, but there comes a point at which the atomic form is destroyed through the passage ‘upwards’ of the imbedded “spark of life”
9. In the case of the human being, is the causal body the atomic form? Not entirely. When the unit of consciousness (the “imbedded spark of life) passes out of the causal body through the destruction of that body, it passes into the sphere of the monadic atom. The conscious atom exists even though the causal body is destroyed.
10. Thus, we must bear in mind that the entire atom does not so pass, but only the internal, unit of life and consciousness. In man this is the Jiva, or it has also been called in this phase of DK’s Teaching, “the lower spark of life”. The true “Spark of Life” is the Monad. That which it ‘puts down’ into the lower five worlds is, reasonably, the “lower spark of life’. The entirety of the atom cannot pass into the next larger sphere. The unit of life and consciousness on passing receives a new vehicle, or enters into the use of one of its own higher vehicles through which it had not expressed in a focal manner before the moment of liberation.
Broadly speaking, it might be said that:
The mineral kingdom is responsive to that type of energy which is the lowest aspect of fire, of those internal furnaces which exert an influence upon the elements in the mineral world, and which resolve these atomic lives into a gradual series of ever-higher types of mineral energy.
11. The lowest aspect of fire is fire by friction, but DK seems to be speaking of the lowest aspect of fire by friction.
12. DK is calling this type of energy by the name “internal furnaces”. They act upon atomic lives and elevate them gradually
13. Let us be clear about the nomenclature: such a fiery life is a “furnace”. These furnaces are responsible for the evolutionary elevation of forms within the mineral kingdom.
For instance, the type of energy which plays upon iron ore, or which produces tin, is emanated from a different centre in the body of the Entity informing the mineral kingdom to that which converts the elements into those wondrous jewels, the diamond, the sapphire, the emerald or the ruby.
14. The model is becoming clearer. An Entity informs the mineral kingdom. That Entity has centers within its own energy system. Different centers in this Entity play upon or work upon different type of mineral substances. The center which plays upon or works upon the iron ore or tin is, DK seems to be saying, lower than the center which plays upon or works upon the elements to produce such jewels as the diamond, the sapphire, the emerald or ruby.
15. We know nothing about the larger Life informing the mineral kingdom, or what the structure of its centers may be (presumably a sevenfold chakric structure), but the idea is sufficiently clear to be grasped.
16. He seems to be saying that the magnetic centers which call magnetically to the tiny lives in the various atoms of substance within the mineral kingdom are centers of force within the Entity which informs the mineral kingdom. This then, is a further elaboration on the nature of the magnetic centers of force discussed in forgoing text.
The energy of the particular centre involved is likewise responsive to force originating in the centre in the body of the planetary Logos—which centre depends upon the kingdom to be vivified.
17. We are speaking of ‘lines of vivification’: streaming from a center in the body of the Planetary Logos to the centers in an Entity which informs a particular kingdom; to the various type of atoms which are attuned to that center and which are to be elevate by means of this magnetism.
In dealing with these kingdoms, therefore, the relations might be briefly indicated—
KINGDOM PLANETARY CENTRE
a. Human.................................. Heart centre.
b. Animal.................................. Throat centre.
c. Vegetable.............................. Solar plexus.
d. Mineral................................. Spleen. [emanating one type of energy, pure and simple]
18. This tabulation varies greatly from the correspondences customarily given. Each of a number of varying tabulations throws light upon a kingdom from a different angle.
19. Each of these planetary logoic centers represents a goal for the particular kingdom involved. Humanity must develop the heart; the animal kingdom must develop the mind; the vegetable kingdom must develop the power to feel; the mineral kingdom must develop vitality.
20. The sacral center is left out of the consideration, but a number of deva units correspond to that center.
The planetary egoic centre is, of course, the transmitter to all the others,
21. So the line of transmission goes from the “planetary egoic center”; to the various centers in the body of the Planetary Logos; to the various kingdoms correlated with each center (i.e., to the various Entities informing the various kingdoms); to the centers within each such Entity—centers correlated with different life forms to be found in the body of expression of that Entity—a kingdom.
and it should be borne in mind in this connection that every centre transmits three types of force, with the exception of the spleen which hands on the solar fires, pranic force, pure and simple.
22. Thus the number of forces we derive from the foregoing tabulation is ten.
23. This will prove to be a most important thought (that three types of forces are transmitted by every center) because we shall see that each Entity informing a particular kingdom of nature has differing numbers of centers.
24. We should note that the “solar fires” are other than “solar fire”. The first pertains to prana and the second to the fires of love and wisdom.
25. Do the three types of forces transmitted correspond to will, love and intelligence?
Students will eventually ascertain how to group the various types in the different kingdoms according to the type of energy they display in fullest measure,
26. Grouping the various types of living forms?
27. This method of grouping is, apparently, not yet available to us.
28. Probably in each kingdom one type of energy is dominant and another is the goal.
29. In the human kingdom (self-conscious) intelligence is dominant and love (soul love) is the goal.
30. In the animal kingdom, desire (the reflection of love) is dominant and intelligence, especially self-conscious intelligence, is the goal.
31. In the vegetable kingdom, vitality (related to the third or activity aspect) is dominant) and desire/feeling is the goal.
remembering that only in the fourth kingdom, the human, is the highest of the three types (that which produces self-consciousness) [Page 1072] manifesting;
32. This is the egoic impulse. The energy producing self-awareness is not yet revealed in the other kingdoms.
in the others it is latent. This will become apparent if the method of lunar individualisation is studied.
33. This method does not involve solar angelic intervention but a gradual invocation of the Spirit aspect by the animal aspect. (“Animal man aspired.”) Still the statement is obscure and requires much pondering.
The vegetable kingdom is responsive to the particular type of energy which produces the phenomenon of water, or moisture. Through the effect of water every higher type of plant life is evolved, and through the combination of heat and water results are brought about which produce new types.
34. We are here given important hints for the development of the various kingdoms, in this case, the vegetable kingdom.
35. What is the energy which brings atoms of hydrogen and oxygen together to produce water? It must be an attractive, unifying energy.
36. In these statements are hints for the preservation of the vegetative, cellular life of the human body.
37. Heat is promotive and analogous to the energy of “progress onward”, driving towards the creation of new forms.
The herbal scientist who is producing new species
38. Presumably, through hybridization…
is really occupied with the effect of sex energy in the second kingdom of nature;
39. He is working with affinity as it exists within the various types within the vegetable kingdom. This energy comes under the rulership of Venus, a planet closely connected with the vegetable kingdom and its development.
he will do well to deal with all plant life as energy points responsive to other and greater energy centres.
40. Much is to be learned through the study of “points”. Plant lives are to be considered as “energy points” and so are devas as we read below.
41. What are the implications of considering devas as “living points”. The question has often been asked: “What is the shape of a deva?”
These Triads of Life are inherently the three Persons and the flower of the earlier system from a certain angle. From another angle, when studied as the "flower of the earlier Eight," They are the eightfold points awaiting opportunity to flame forth. They are the devas who are ready for service, which is to give to another hierarchy certain qualities which are lacking. This Hierarchy is regarded as the great donors of immortality whilst themselves "standing aloof from incarnation." Lords of Sacrifice and Love are They, but They cannot pass out of the logoic etheric body into the dense physical vehicle. (TCF 1199)
It is not possible to give students an adequate idea of the beauty of the egoic lotus when it has reached the stage of complete unfoldment. The radiancy of its colour is not here referred to, but the brilliancy of the fires, and the rapid scintillation of the ceaselessly moving streams and points of energy. Each petal pulsates with quivering fire "points," and each tier of petals vibrates with life, whilst at the centre glows the Jewel, raying forth streams of energy from the centre to the periphery of the outermost circle.
The fires of living energy circulate around each individual petal and the method of interweaving and the circulation of the fires is (as may be well realised) sevenfold in nature according to the sevenfold nature of the Logos involved. Each circle of petals becomes, as evolution proceeds, likewise active, and revolves around the central Jewel, so that we have, not only the activity of the petals, not only the activity of the living points or the deva lives within the petal circumference, but likewise the unified activity of each tier of the threefold lotus. (TCF 1118)
42. Perhaps every living being is to be considered, essentially, as a “point”. At length this is certainly true of the human being. Thos, for instance, who tread the Path to Sirius are called “blissful, dancing points of fanatical devotion”.
Much will be learned along this line when electricity and colored lights are more freely used in experimental stations.
43. DK seems to be saying that if the herbal scientist wants to be more successful in creating new forms within the vegetable kingdom he should work with electricity and colored lights. Through colored lights specific energies can be applied. Through electricity, focal stimulation can be applied.
44. When workers on the fifth and fourth rays combine their efforts, this kind of work will be accomplished.
Sex, in the mineral kingdom, or chemical affinity, is the display in that kingdom of the second type of magnetic force;
45. We pause to reframe our understanding. Chemical affinity is sex within the mineral kingdom.
46. Since Vulcan and Venus are closely related (in mythology they were married) and since Vulcan rules the mineral kingdom, we may follow a line of investigation which could relate Venus to chemical affinity. Generally, Venus stands for affinity of all types.
in the vegetable kingdom the same thing can be studied in the seed life, and in the fertilisation processes of all plants.
47. The vegetable kingdom is particularly related to Venus. Bees are said to ‘come from’ Venus. Their role in the fertilization processes of flowering planets is well known.
Neptune, the God of the Waters, has a curious relationship to our planetary Logos, and also to the Entity Who is the informing life of the second kingdom.
We were earlier told that “the vegetable
kingdom is responsive to the particular type of energy which produces the
phenomenon of water, or moisture.” Surely the energy of Neptune (“God of the
Waters”) is involved in this process. Are the rays of
49. Both our Planetary Logos and the Logos of Neptune have a prominent second ray. The plane of water, the astral plane, is the second plane.
Venus, the ruler of the vegetable kingdom and
The animal kingdom is responsive to a type of energy which is neither fire nor water but is a combination of the two.
52. The union of fire and water suggests kama-manas.
As man separates himself from his animal nature, he simultaneously
separates his manas from his
They are also the first of the kingdoms on the physical plane to be responsive to sound,
54. The implication is that other kingdom on the physical plane may eventually become responsive to sound. There is also the possibility that kingdoms which have members which are not focused on the physical plane may be responsive to sound.
or to the energy emanating from that which we call noise.
55. It seems that DK should be speaking of the vegetable kingdom. Many experiments have now been performed to indicate the responsiveness of plants to sound (harmonious sound and to noise).
56. We note that plants do not have a voice. Animals do. The throat center in the animal kingdom is developed and is beginning to become an instrument of expression. Members of the animal kingdoms are responsive to the sounds made by other members of the same kingdom.
57. These statements correlate to the fact that the animal kingdom is the third kingdom, related to the third ray and, thus, to the throat center.
58. The implication is that the units in the mineral kingdom are not responsive to sound and Master DK has not mentioned the plant kingdom either.
This is an occult fact worthy of close attention.
59. Thus the cellular or vegetative life within the human being will be responsive to sound and noise. So good sound, good music, should be supplied to assist the health of cells of the human body.
The energy emanating from the Entity Who is the informing Life of the third kingdom in nature has five channels of approach, that is five centres.
60. Earlier it seemed that each of these lower centers in the Planetary Logos expressed through three streams of energy.
61. Little has been said about the centers of energy in the informing Entities. The number of centers might correlate with the number of types of forms within such kingdoms, but probably the truth is more complex.
62. In the mineral kingdom we know we have the metals, the precious metals and the gems, but there are probably other ways of dividing the life units within that kingdom. Even among the division we call gemstones, there are seven distinct categories.
63. The implication could be that there must be at least three active centers within the Entity which is the informing life of the mineral kingdom, but, as Master DK describes the number of centers in that kingdom, we will see that this is not the case.
64. That there are seven centers of approach in the human kingdom, we well understand because so much of our Teaching deals with these seven centers.
65. That there should be five centers of approach within the Entity Who informs animal kingdom makes sense as five is the number of Brahma, the Ruler of the third aspect of divinity. The animal kingdom is the third kingdom and the numbers correspond.
66. Many animals, however, have all the organs found in man, and for each organ there is a center of energy. And yet, because of the animal’s stage of evolution, perhaps only five centers are active no matter how many other centers may be latent. Could we apply the same principle to kingdoms lower than the animal? Let us see.
That animating the fourth kingdom has seven, for the mind and the intuition are added.
67. In one respect, we seem to be speaking in the ‘language of the senses’ for the mind is considered the “sixth sense” and the intuition or “esoteric sense”, the seventh. These faculties naturally have their chakric correlations.
68. If mind and intuition are added, we probably have the emphasis on the heart center and the head center. Animals do have the throat center coming into increasing activity but we notice that the animal use of the throat center is far more simple and primitive than the use of the throat center in man. There may be, however, certain special cases of animal communication through the throat center which, on examination, seems unusually intelligent and beyond the capacities of man in certain respects.
69. The heart center is the seat the intuition from one angle of vision, though the head, via the pineal gland, is also active in the intuitive process. The head is also definitely involved with the mind as well, as the development of the mind demands the use the brain.
In the second kingdom there are three centres,
70. As we descend through the kingdoms we seem to be using the odd numbers—7, 5, 3 and later, with respect to the mineral kingdom, probably, 1.
but their manifestation is so obscure as to seem practically nonexistent to the human mind. In the first or mineral kingdom, the avenue of approach is limited to one centre. [Page 1073]
71. As stated.
72. There may be some problems with this method of enumeration, however. Let us say that there are seven types of form to be found within every Creative Hierarchy. This may be true of the kingdoms as well. Certainly it is true of the human kingdom, and when we look at the phyla of animals and plants and the varieties of minerals, we would expect the same.
73. But the number of centers in the Entity informing the various kingdoms continues to be reduced as we move towards the mineral kingdom until, for that kingdom, we have only one center.
74. Now if each center in such an informing Entity draws upon or magnetizes the life in one type of form found within its kingdom, we have a numerical mismatch. We have more types of forms than we have centers in the informing Entity.
75. Even in the mineral kingdom, DK differentiated between the center which played upon the metals such as iron ore and tin, and the center which played upon or created from elements the precious gems. So two centers were named.
76. Now, could we be dealing with the ‘petals’ found within such centers and could the various petals be considered as magnetic centers acting upon the nucleus of the atoms which are to be liberated?
77. We have Entities informing the four kingdoms of nature under discussion and we have the chakras (within the Planetary Logos) each correlated to a specific kingdom. Are all chakras sevenfold and could the different types of energy which are applied to the “immersed sparks” within each kingdom come from different aspects of the chakra in the Planetary Logos which is attuned to that kingdom?
78. One thing of importance to note—no matter how many active centers within the Entity which informs a particular kingdom, from each of three centers in the Planetary Logos related to three of the kingdoms, three energies go forth. One of these energies or forces going forth from the a center in the Planetary Logos correlated with a kingdom, affects certain centers in the Entity informing that kingdom.
79. The Entity informing the mineral kingdom, however, has only one center and from the Planetary Logos, the center associated with the mineral kingdom, i.e., the spleen, sends forth only one type of force to the Entity informing the mineral kingdom.
80. We see we are dealing with matters obscure to the mind of man and that there are many apparent discrepancies here. We must not expect closure on this matter until more is known.
It will be observed, therefore, that the stimulation of magnetic energy proceeds from what might be regarded as jumps, 1-3-5-7.
81. As stated.
82. The Pythagoreans considered the odd numbers sacred.
Each kingdom starts with a specific equipment, and during the process of evolution within the kingdom adds to it so that the liberated life enters the next kingdom with its old equipment plus one.
83. We find constant progression and elevation—such it the magnificent Plan of the Planetary Logos of our Earth.
84. We see that in ascent, nothing is lost.
85. We should apply this principle to the liberated Jiva at the fourth initiation. Nothing gained in the lower worlds is lost as that “point of fire” is liberated into the spiritual triad. The Masters can recapture memory of all that they have done in their many lives as a human being. The Buddha (whether the poetic imagination has been used in the recounting of an ancient tradition) is said to have remembered his existence as a tiger!
The human kingdom is equally responsive to energy. This time it is the energy of fire at its highest manifestation in the three worlds.
86. If we are speaking of the three words (and DK did not say “three lower worlds”), the highest manifestation of fire cannot be fire by friction. It must be either solar fire through the petals of the egoic lotus or electric fire (modified) through the expression of the Jewel in the Lotus.
87. Much depends on whether, when we mention the “three worlds” we include the higher three subplanes of the mental plane. Upon those subplanes, both solar fire and electric fire are focussed.
It must be borne in mind that we are referring to the positive energy of the greater Whole as it affects the lesser positive energetic points. We are not referring to form energy.
88. DK repeats this as He considers it of great importance. We are considering the draw of a greater positive upon a lesser positive. We are not referring to the interplay between any type of energy of form (even if that of a high form) and a lesser positive energy.
The atom becomes responsive to form energy or to that which surrounds it.
89. This is part of the process and a step along the way—the second step of four. Initially, the atom is concerned only with its own rotary processes and is virtually out of relationship with the form energy which surrounds it.
It becomes conscious and then becomes responsive to the force of the kingdom in which it is a part.
90. Presumably, this is the third step.
It gradually becomes responsive to stronger influences or to the force emanating from the Entity Who is the life of that kingdom.
91. This is the fourth step.
Finally, the atom becomes conscious of planetary energy, or responsive to the Heavenly Man Himself.
92. In earlier text, DK spoke of a four-stage process leading to liberation into a higher position within a kingdom due to the energy or force emanating from the Entity informing the kingdom, but He had not yet brought the energy of the Planetary Logos into the picture. This, then, is the final or fifth stage.
It then transcends the kingdom in which it has been, and is elevated into another kingdom in which the cycle is again repeated.
93. In other words, when the energy of the Planetary Logos (presumably from the center within the Planetary Logos associated with the kingdom in which it an atom is found) influence an atom and is absorbed by the atom, it is then ready to change kingdoms. Naturally, in doing so, it will have to leave behind the form through which it was manifesting in the lower kingdom.
94. It may be presumed to leave the sphere of influence of the Entity which was the informing Live of the kingdom from which the atom (really its living center) is ‘departing’.
This can all be expressed in terms of consciousness but in this section we will limit the thought simply to that of energy.
95. And this expression (“in terms of consciousness”), we could take up if we wished to expand the concepts already offered.
96. Whatever happens to the form is accompanied by a parallel change in consciousness. In fact we could say that changes in consciousness cause elevatory changes in form.
If we think of how the human being thinks and acts when he is a
member of the human kingdom and how he thinks and acts once he becomes a member
In summation it might be said that:
1. The planetary Logos has seven centres, as has man.
98. This is certainly the case in this solar system. Did He have five in the previous solar system? The Brahmic system? Will he have nine in the next system?
99. It may be that we are not justified in speculating in this manner, because great cosmic lives such as our Cosmic Logos have only seven major centers, and thus too, for the "One About Whom Naught May Be Said", the Super-Cosmic Logos in Whom we, our Solar Logos and seven major Constellational Logoi “live and move and have our being”.
2. The informing Life of the animal kingdom has five centres, and the animal kingdom has five prototypes on the archetypal plane, whereas man has seven prototypes.
100. DK is summarizing the statements He has already made.
101. Shall we consider the archetypal plane as the monadic plane? There is probably very little difference between the human Monad and the animal Monad. In fact there is reason to conclude that the animal Monad is a human Monad at an earlier stage of development.
102. In other discussion, planes both lower and higher than the monadic plane have been called the “archetypal plane”.
103. DK seems to be saying that both the human kingdom and the animal kingdom share the same archetypal plane
104. This could apply as well to the vegetable Monad and the mineral Monad but various statements could cast doubt upon the possibility.
105. The interface between kingdoms and hierarchies presents difficult problems, but it must never be forgotten that man, as a ‘resident’ of the Fourth Creative Hierarchy is the macrocosm for the lesser kingdoms which are to man as the microcosm.
106. We must discern, if see can, what Master DK means by “prototypes”. They are obviously the cause of major formal distinctions within any particular kingdom, but which distinctions?
107. We can consider “prototypes” to be ‘fundamental forms’, remembering that the true form is not physically tangible.
3. The informing Life of the vegetable kingdom has three centres of force on His Own plane, and there are, therefore, but three basic types of plant life.
108. So much depends on what is meant by the word “basic”. We can distinguish so many varieties of plant life, but apparently they can all be collected under three major categories.
109. DK seems to confirm that according to the number of centers within an Entity informing a kingdom, so will be the basic number of types to be found within that kingdom.
110. Analogizing from what is here said, we would have to conclude that there are five basic types of animal life because the informing Entity has five centers.
111. When we speak of man, we know there have been and will be seven rootraces in all. Are these to be considered the basic “types” of human beings?
112. Regarding the plane which the informing Life of the vegetable kingdom can call His own, how shall we approach the matter?
113. Is the archetypal plane for the informing Entity of the vegetable kingdom different from that of the informing lives of the animal kingdom and the human kingdom?
114. Perhaps not all these lives focus their monadic natures on the systemic monadic plane. Although it seems feasible that the animal Monad would focus on the same plane as the human Monad, perhaps there is a descent. This is simply speculative and needs careful investigation:
a. The human Monad on the systemic monadic plane
b. The animal Monad on the systemic atmic plane
c. The vegetable Monad on the systemic buddhic plane
d. The mineral Monad on the systemic mental plane
115. Or it is possible that subplane ‘locations’ may account for the different planar positions of the Monads of the various kingdoms, with all the Monads involved focussed on the monadic plane—though on different subplanes.
116. Some very knotty problems are involved in working out the proper assignments.
[Page 1074] All that we know are but differentiations of those three.
117. So the manner of differentiation would be most interesting. This is a subject for esoteric botanists.
4. The informing Life of the mineral kingdom works through one centre.
118. We do not know the manner in which differentiation takes place, but must conclude that all the greater variety of mineral life—earths, rare earths, metals, precious metals, semi-precious stones, precious stones, etc. (here I am mixing pure elements with compounds) are all differentiations arising from only “one centre”.
119. How this differentiation occurs would be a question of vital moment. We remember that from the planetary spleen (that center in the Planetary Logos most related to the mineral kingdom) only one type of force emanates. So, whence the diversity found within the mineral kingdom?
120. We might say that from the one center within the body of the Entity Who informs the mineral kingdom, a diversity of forces might be found. There is reason to believe that every chakra is, after all, sevenfold.
121. It is also obvious that the manner in which science differentiates the various types within any kingdom is not yet congruent with the manner they are differentiated in occultism.
b. Radiation in the Five Kingdoms. We have seen that the cause of radiation is the response of the positive life in any atom to the attractive power of the positive life in a greater atom.
122. The thesis is reiterated for pedagogic purposes.
Expressed in other words, we might say that the deva life
123. By this “deva life” do we mean the “essential life” of the atom? It would seem so.
of any atomic form proceeds with its evolution, and by a series of "releases" transfers itself during the manvantaric cycles out of one kingdom into another until every atom has achieved self-determination, and thus the purpose of the Heavenly Man for any particular mahamanvantara is satisfactorily accomplished.
124. This is a profound statement requiring much pondering.
125. What is meant by the thought that “every atom” achieves “self-determination”? Will it do so as one isolated unit? Or will it do so in aggregate with other atoms under the influence of one “group soul”? Given the hypothesized pyramidal structure of the Universe, the latter option seems more plausible and even necessary.
126. We are speaking here of the evolution of the members of the deva kingdom. Perhaps when release comes of the volatile essence or the “lower spark of life”, there is also an elevation in vibratory frequency and quality of the deva units or points which had comprise the form in the kingdom now being left behind.
127. After all, deva life, too, must evolve and must find its way into the vehicles to be used in ever-higher kingdoms.
128. From another point of view, however, the term “deva life” as used here, could connote the “lower spark of life” itself, i.e., the “volatile essence” entering progressive kingdoms through successive releases.
129. A life essence buried deeply in form could be called a “deva life”, whereas life essences buried less deeply in form might not be called “deva lives”.
As might be expected, therefore, when the subject is viewed as a whole and not from the standpoint of any one kingdom, there are in the evolutionary process five major at-one-ments.
130. DK will now offer us an overview.
1. At-one-ment with the mineral kingdom.
131. Perhaps the phrase “as a whole” should be added to the statement above.
132. What is becoming ‘at-oned’ with the mineral kingdom?
133. Are we simply speaking of the absorption of the central atomic life by the magnetic center which is the chakra of the Entity expressing through the mineral kingdom?
2. At-one-ment of the mineral monad with the vegetable kingdom.
134. There is no form of life which is not represented by a Monad, even though there may not be a one-to-one correspondence—one form/one Monad.
135. That unit of life-consciousness which expresses itself through the mineral kingdom is destined to express through the vegetable kingdom.
3. At-one-ment of the vegetable monad with the animal kingdom.
136. The same type of progression applies.
The progressive life has now made three at-one-ments or expanded its realisation three times.
137. First, within the mineral kingdom; second in the movement from the mineral kingdom to the vegetable kingdom; third, in the movement from the vegetable kingdom to the animal kingdom.
138. All volatile essences are ‘progressive units of life’ or ‘ascending lower sparks of life’.
139. ‘The stone becomes a plant; the plant becomes animal; the animal becomes a man; the man becomes an angel; the angel becomes a god’. This paraphrases an ancient Kabalistic aphorism.
140. H.P.B. says the following in The Secret Doctrine , Vol. II, 186: “Therefore, the Kabalists say correctly that “Man becomes a stone, a plant, an animal, a man, a Spirit, and finally God. Thus accomplishing his cycle or circuit and returning to the point from which he had started as the heavenly Man.”
4. At-one-ment with the human kingdom.
141. Presumably we are speaking of the at-one-ment of the animal kingdom with the human kingdom, although this is not stated.
142. Man both comes from the animal and yet does not. It is the Third Outpouring which creates man, whereas the Second Outpouring produces the various forms of animal life awaiting the that type of monadic descent which causes individualization.
143. The Monad is definitely involved in both the Second and Third Outpouring, for during the Second Outpouring the Monad takes to itself permanent atoms which become the basis of the development of the lower kingdoms, and during the Third Outpouring the descending Monad ‘stations itself’ within the vehicle of individualization known as the causal body.
5. At-one-ment with the Heavenly Man or with the great planetary life.
144. This is only possible for the unit of life which is entering the fifth kingdom of nature. In various stages, it is the next step for the Monad of the Fourth Creative Hierarchy as it leaves the human kingdom and enters the spiritual of fifth kingdom.
Along these five stages, one of them is considered in this solar system to be the most important, and that is the at-one-ment with the human kingdom.
145. In other words the process of individualization is considered the most important from the solar systemic point of view.
146. The animal still belongs to the Brahmic System. Man, in his inner nature, belongs to the System of Vishnu.
For this particular greater cycle, the goal of evolution is man;
147. We are not sure of the cycle to which Master DK refers. It could be the cycle of the entire second solar system.
148. Perhaps the next solar
system will deal mostly with the three higher kingdoms: the
when individualisation is achieved and self-determination is awakened, the Monad or Divine Pilgrim has attained that which expresses the logoic purpose most perfectly.
149. We are speaking of logoic purpose as it is expressed in this second solar system.
150. Our system is presently a system of the fourth order and the kingdom of man, the kingdom is the fourth kingdom. The numerical resonance is there.
151. However, there is an assumption here—namely solar systems can change their “order” as they evolve. We have to establish if this is true, logical though it may seem.
The [Page 1075] later stages but set the crown upon the victor,
152. Life is victorious when it becomes a self-conscious human being. To enter the higher kingdoms is the crowning. The unfoldment of the highest head center is involved.
and the final at-one-ment with the divine Self is but the consummation of the fourth stage.
153. The “divine Self” is the Monad. We would expect that “the final at-one-ment with the divine Self” would be the consummation of the fifth stage, as the human Monad is a cell within one of the centers of a Planetary Logos.
Students will find it of interest to work out the correspondence between the five initiations and these five unifications. There is a close connection between the two.
154. In this case:
a. The first initiation is the ‘mineral’ initiation.
b. The second initiation is the ‘vegetable’ initiation.
c. The third initiation is the ‘animal’ initiation.
d. The fourth initiation is the first truly human initiation and is the ‘human initiation’.
e. The fifth initiation is the ‘crowning initiation’ and is the initiation of the higher Ego as the spiritual triad.
f. The sixth initiation signifies release from the five worlds of human and super-human evolution.
By understanding the laws of the different kingdoms, much can be learned anent the conditions governing the five Initiations. It will be found that the initiations mark stages in response to contact and to realisation which have their interesting germs in the five kingdoms.
155. These laws will have to be differentiated. Nothing so far is said about them.
156. We could say that the Laws of the Soul govern the fifth kingdom. We could say that the Laws of Man (moral law, the Law of Right Relations) are intended to govern the human kingdom. We could say that various kinds of “Natural Law” govern the three lower kingdoms.
157. Within man are the mineral, vegetable and animal natures as well as the strictly human nature. During each initiation, one of these natures becomes the special focus of the human consciousness.
It might here be pointed out with propriety that radiation is the result of transmutation; transmutation marks the completion of a cycle of rotary-spiralling activity.
158. Transmutation is both the beginning and the end of the process of positive change. When the second aspect of divinity through its “rotary-spiralling activity” is victorious, transmutation has been accomplished.
159. In some of the rules we are given the phrase, “may transmutation disappear”. This it is to do as transformation supersedes it and as transfiguration supersedes transformation.
160. Yet, in this context, the term “transmutation” is being used in a larger context and marks the climax of a generally ‘transformative’ process (using the term “transformative” in a general and not specialized sense).
161. When full radiation has been achieved the process of transmutation is at an end. Via transmutation, understood in this way, there comes the release of the volatile essence.
162. We can wonder whether full transmutation occurs as the sixth initiation is approached and the volatile essence is released to its ‘home’ (its home as far as evolution in the Fourth Creative Hierarchy is concerned).
No atom becomes radioactive until its own internal rhythm has been stimulated to a point where the positive central life is ready for the imposition of a higher vibratory activity,
163. It is the relation of the higher Life to the lower life which, essentially, causes radioactivity.
164. From this perspective, and for man, it is the Monad which is that which imposes a “higher vibratory activity”.
and when the negative lives within the atomic periphery are repulsed by the intensity of its vibration,
165. I.e., the vibration of the “positive central life”.
and are no longer attracted by its drawing qualities.
166. The “positive central life” is intensifying in its vibratory activity and in doing so, repulses the electronic units or negative lives.
167. A nucleus can be attractive or repulsive to the lesser lives which form the periphery of the atom. When the higher impositional center stimulates the nucleus of the ‘atom’ to a sufficient degree, the vibratory activity of that nucleus becomes so intense that the negative lives are repulsed instead of attracted.
168. We see why any Master must be cautious concerning His energy and those who are exposed to it in any degree of fulness.
This is due to the coming in and consequent response to the magnetic vibration of a still stronger positive life
169. A still stronger life has entered the vibratory field of the positive central life and now this central life is carrying the higher vibration of the “still stronger positive life”.
which releases the imprisoned central spark and causes what might from some aspects be called the dissipation of the atom.
170. Perhaps the release of the “imprisoned central spark” will not seem like the “dissipation of the atom” from all perspectives. DK is hinting something here about which aspects of the atom are dispersed and which survive to ascend.
171. The term “imprisoned central spark” is a valuable description of the life essence to be released. We should compare this term with “lower spark of life” and with the “Jiva”. I have also called it, the “Monad in attenuation”.
This process, nevertheless, in the majority of cases covers such a vast period of time that the human mind is unable to follow the process.
172. With respect to the lower kingdoms one can understand this—especially the mineral kingdom and the vegetable kingdom.
The radioactive period is much the longest in the mineral kingdom, and shortest of all in the human.
173. For the human being, perhaps only several thousand years are involved.
174. DK’s statement is important as it should tell us much about mineral evolution and equip us to more accurately determine the developmental future of radioactive minerals.
We are not concerned with radiation in the spiritual kingdom at the close of the mahamanvantara, so no comment will here be made.
175. Just how far does the “spiritual kingdom” extend? We are very far from the end of the mahamanvantara, and by the time it ends, those who have entered it (as the term “spiritual kingdom” is usually understood), will have progressed far beyond it—into the Kingdom of Planetary Lives and even Kingdom of Solar Lives. So much depends on whether the term “spiritual kingdom” is being used generically.
It is interesting to note that during this round, owing to planetary decision,
176. A decision of the Planetary Logos, presumably…
the process of producing human radiation or "release" is being artificially stimulated through the method which we call initiation, and the [Page 1076] short cut to intensive purification and stimulation is open to all who are willing to pass through the divine alchemical fire.
177. There is so much promise in this statement.
178. Initiatory training is training in the achievement of radiation and release. This is a new way to think about the process.
179. Are there short cuts? Yes there are short cuts but there is also a price to pay by those who wish to avail themselves of such short cuts!
Simultaneously, in the other kingdoms of nature a process somewhat similar in kind though not in degree is being attempted.
180. Since man is the macrocosm of the lower kingdoms, they too must rise.
The tremendous manipulation of ores, the scientific work of the chemist, and scientific investigation is analogous in the mineral kingdom to the world processes which are being utilised to liberate the human spark.
181. This work is being undertaken under the pressureful Vulcan and relates, no doubt the relationship between the Logos of Vulcan and our Planetary Logos. These two Logoi are rather closely related.
182. When one thinks of the stress put upon ores and minerals being worked upon by man, one gets some idea of the stress involved when man is worked upon by the higher energies.
Out of the chaos and turmoil of the World War,
183. In this case, it was World War I.
for instance, and the weight of metal undergoing violent disintegration the mineral monad emerged as from an initiatory test, incomprehensible as this may seem.
184. Yes, an extraordinary thought but there is a strong necessity for us to drop our anthropomorphic point of view.
It will be apparent that a great simultaneous movement is on foot to produce more rapid radiation in all the kingdoms of nature so that when the cycle is run the process of planetary radiation may be consummated.
185. Yes, it would not do for only the human kingdom to advance. The balance would be destroyed.
186. Besides there is much to the idea that there is not much difference in the human Monad and the Monads of the members of the lower three kingdoms, strange as this may seem.
This intensive culture is not proceeding upon all the planets but only upon a very few. The others will run a longer cycle.
187. This is quite a hint. We know that the cycle of Venus is near to completion and Earth is closely related to Venus—though likely to complete in seven rounds what Venus completed in five. At least DK speaks on occasion of the coming sixth and seventh rounds—probably scheme rounds rather than chain rounds.
188. Are we speaking here of the disappearance or abstraction of the Earth in a shorter time than the disappearance or abstraction of some other planets? It seems so.
189. We already discussed how an abstracting planet could have aspects of itself abstracted into more than one receptive planet.
190. Could this mean that Earth could be synthesized in five scheme rounds just as Venus is? Of course it is possible, though there are no indications it will necessarily happen.
191. In any case, we gather that Earth will be one of those planets which does not remain in familiar form throughout the entire mahamanvantara.
The initiatory cultural process which has in view the stimulation of magnetic radiation or transmutation is but an experiment.
192. It is a solar systemic experiment. Interesting how even on the solar systemic level experiments are undertaken. Perhaps free experimentalism is a feature of all cosmic development.
It was tried first on Venus, and on the whole proved successful,
193. It DK suggesting a degree of reservation? Was there a sense in which this experiment on Venus was not wholly successful?
194. Generally speaking, the impression is conveyed that what transpired on Venus has been a great solar systemic ‘success story’.
resulting in the consummation of the planetary purpose in five rounds instead of seven.
195. The analogy is to the progress of the Christ—extraordinarily rapid given His starting point—Lemuria!
This was what made it possible to utilise Venusian energy upon the Venus chain and the Venus globe of our scheme and thus cause the phenomenon of forced individualisation in Lemurian days.
196. It would seem that the Earth is now upon the fast track too, but it has much lost ground to recover due to the Moon-chain failure.
197. Although the Lord of the World did not “come from Venus” per se, it is clear that Venusian energy was involved in His coming and in the individualization process which preceded His coming to our dense physical globe.
It was the intensive stimulation of the third kingdom of nature during the third root race which artificially unified the three aspects.
198. We may think of will, love and intelligence.
199. We normally do not think of Venus as a hastening energy, but so it appears to be.
200. Did this union constitute a “major” initiation for our Planetary Logos? The reference below indicates the affirmative:
in which a Heavenly Man may take either a minor or a major initiation, thereby
involving His entire nature. For instance, when individualisation
took place during the Lemurian, or the third root race, and the human family in
this cycle definitely came into manifestation, it signified a major initiation
for our Heavenly
201. One could ask what it would mean for a initiation to be taken in relation to one or other of the various chains? Would such initiations be more major than those taken on globes?
The process of stimulating through the medium of Venusian energy was really begun in the third round when the triangle of force was completed, and ready to function.
202. This would signify a very lengthy preparation period.
203. Are we speaking of that triangle consisting of the Venus chain of the Earth-scheme; the Venus-globe of the Venus-chain and the Earth-globe of the Earth-chain? If so the Earth-chain is left out, and so is the Venus-scheme per se. There would be a fivefold link if the exclusions were included.
204. Was Sanat Kumara involved in this preparation as early as the third round?
It is this factor which occultly makes the third Initiation of such tremendous importance.
205. The third round corresponds to the third initiation. The coming of the Solar Angels, however, had the objective of producing that state of liberation in man called the fourth initiation.
In it the human triangle is linked, the Monad, the [Page 1077] Ego and the personality, or Venus, the Sun and the Earth are symbolically allied.
206. These points are probably not presented in the correct order. With reason we could say that the Sun corresponds to the Monad, Venus to the Ego and Earth to the personality.
207. There are of course other ways to see it. In the horoscope, the Sun corresponds to the personality and the point opposite the Sun (where the heliocentric Earth is positioned) stands for the point of monadic influence in the chart.
208. The Sun and Earth represent the highest and lowest points of the antahkarana.
Enough has here been indicated to give the student room for thought, though one more word in this connection might be added. In the potentially radioactive qualities of the four kingdoms of nature with which we are most concerned will be found an interesting analogy to the functions of the four planetary schemes which (in their totality) form the logoic quaternary.
209. We know that Venus and Earth are members of the logoic quaternary. We would assume Mars to be as well. Should we add Mercury?
210. To be a member of the logoic quaternary is not confined to non-sacred planets or Venus could not be a member.
211. We could assign the planets to kingdoms in the following manner:
a. Mercury to the human kingdom
b. Mars to the animal kingdom
c. Venus to the vegetable kingdom
d. Earth to the mineral kingdom
212. Is Pluto, another non-sacred planet to be included in some way? For one thing, Pluto was not discovered when this book was written. For another, Pluto is so removed from Earth and from the center of the solar system, that one can wonder about its centrality to any process on Earth.
This applies also in a lesser degree to the four chains which form the planetary quaternary.
213. We have no assurance that there is a one to one correspondence. There is a Venus Chain, an Earth Chain, a Mercury chain and a Mars Chain—chains two, four, five and six. Chain three is skipped. It was the Moon-chain but is now the Saturn-chain.
214. The order of the chains (given their probable associations) does not correspond to the order of the kingdoms. While Saturn is a sacred planet, its chain is the third, which we would expect too associate with the animal kingdom, but Mars will do instead.
215. DK has warned us not to take the planetary names of the chains too seriously, yet there is still something in these names which suggests their place and function.
All have to become radioactive and all their principles have to be transmuted and the form for which they are responsible transcended.
216. Is DK speaking of the four lower kingdoms? Probably. But He could as well be speaking of the progressive lives of the four Chain-Lords Who represent the lower planetary quaternary and the four Scheme-Lords who represent the logoic quaternary. Radioactivity is the destiny for all.
When the subject of radiation is more completely comprehended, it will be found that it demonstrates one more instance of the unity of all life, and furnishes one more corroborative indication of the synthetic nature of the entire evolutionary process.
217. Radiation leads to the unification of kingdom with kingdom. It is part of the initiatory process of every kingdom and is especially notable in the human kingdom through the forced process of human initiation. The initiate comprehends synthesis.
In every instance that which radiates from each kingdom of nature is one and the same.
218. There is but one Monad, one “volatile essence”, one “imprisoned central spark”, one “lower spark of life”, one “central positive life”, one “electric spark”, etc.
The radioactive human being is the same in nature (differing only in degree and in conscious response) as the radioactive mineral;
219. That which radiates in both cases is the “positive central life”.
220. Occultly, liberated man becomes a metaphysical mineral—a “living stone”.
in every case it is the central positive life, the electric spark or that which is its correspondence, which radiates.
221. The lower expressions of the “electric spark” (which really is the Monad) is called by many names depending on the level of immersion in matter of the “electric spark”.
There are, therefore, seven correspondences in this connection in the solar system, seven types which radiate, or seven classes of entities which demonstrate ability to transcend their normal motion and to transfer themselves into some greater sphere in due course of evolution.
222. Amazing thought!
1. The mineral monad of the mineral kingdom, or the central positive nucleus in all atoms and elements.
223. On what plane is this Monad to be located? We have speculated.
2. The monad in the vegetable kingdom, or the central positive life of every plant and vegetable growth.
224. On what plane is this Monad to be located? We have speculated.
225. The terms “central positive nucleus” or “central positive life” are very appropriate for the Monad.
3. The monad in the animal kingdom or the positive life of each type.
226. On what plane is this Monad to be located? We have speculated.
4. The human Monads in their myriads of groups.
227. How does Master DK determine these “myriads of groups”? When one thinks of the systemic monadic plane, there are seven main groups. Probably within each of the seven, there are seven sub-groups. Then there are possible divisions of these forty-nine types into subtypes on the planes of the spiritual triad and on the higher mental plane with its divisions of egoic lotuses.
228. The transference of these
Monads will first be into the
5. The Monad of any particular type, or form.
229. DK is now speaking, probably, of the greater Monads. There are a number of B/beings listed on TCF 533 which give a hint of unsuspected beings and their probable destinations.
230. The Monads in category 5, seem, nevertheless, to be intra-planetary Monads.
6. The planetary Monad, the sum total of all the lives within a planetary scheme.
231. The planetary Monad is a great sumtotal! All lives within the planet are, in essence, part of the Monad.
232. It will transfer itself into the Solar Hierarchies.
7. The solar Monad or the sum total of all lives in the solar system.
233. The “solar Monad” has for its destination, life as a Cosmic Logos—a life which is probably shared with those Solar Logoi who have served for a term as the seven centers of such a Cosmic Logos.
Each of these is first rotary in its activity, or self-centred; later each simultaneously with its original motion demonstrates spiral-cyclic activity. Thereby it becomes "aware" of form, and finally becomes radioactive.
234. Spiral-cyclic-activity leads to radioactivity. Radioactivity occurs as spiral-cyclic-activity is consummated.
235. In this case, first ray motion is included within spiral-cyclic motion, demonstrating as the “spiral” aspect of that motion.
During this final period it transcends the form, and escapes from out of it, becoming thus conscious of, and able to participate in, the activity of the still greater enveloping whole.
236. The ring-pass-not changes, widens. The confines are greatly lessened though because there is escape into a “still greater enveloping whole” there is, still, confinement.