Fellowship of Cosmic Fire
Commentary Semester VIII Section XII Part I
TCF 1063-1070 : S8S12
Most of the Tibetan’s text is put in font 16, to provide better legibility when projected during classes. Footnotes and references from other AAB Books and from other pages of TCF are put in font 14. Commentary appears in font 12. Underlining, Bolding and Highlighting by MDR)
It is suggested that this Commentary be read with the TCF book handy, for the sake of continuity. As analysis of the text is pursued, many paragraphs are divided, and the compact presentation in the book, itself, will convey the overall meaning of the paragraph. So please read an entire paragraph and then study the Commentary
Under our consideration of the law of radiation, we will first of all take up the topic of the cause of radiation.
1. From the last commentary we remember that the Tibetan considered this among the most important of topics.
a. The Cause of Radiation. The student will only be able to get a true view of this matter if he views the subject in a large way. Two aspects of the matter naturally come before his mental vision,
2. This is a type of vision which is framed by the mind and not merely by the imagination, which, essentially, is an astral activity.
both of which must be dealt with if any adequate concept of this subject is to be reached,—a subject which has engrossed philosophers, scientists and alchemists for hundreds of years consciously or unconsciously.
3. The subject has probably not been framed in terms of “radiation” but has been of moment to different types of thinkers who are interested in the question of liberation.
We must, therefore, consider:
a. That which radiates.
4. This will be the nucleus of any atom.
b. That which is the subjective cause of radiation.
5. These will be higher energy which stimulates the nucleus.
6. A refined condition of the form will also be necessitated so that the higher stimulating energies can reach the nucleus which is to rendered radiatory.
It might be very briefly stated that when any form becomes radioactive, certain conditions have been fulfilled and certain results brought about, which conditions and results might be summed up as follows:
The radioactive form is one which has run through its appointed cycles,
7. These are necessitated, required cycles. They are determined by law.
through its wheel of life, great or small, which has been turned with adequate frequency,
8. There is no ‘fast path’ to bringing about the state of radiation.
9. On the human level, this is equivalent to saying that a sufficient number of incarnations must have been experienced through the turning of the “wheel of life” with adequate frequency, and, we might add, ‘for a sufficient duration’.
so that the volatile life-essence is ready to escape from that form and merge itself in the greater form of which the lesser is but a part.
10. This is clear. The volatile essence escapes from its present ring-pass-not which bounds its enclosing form which is but part of a larger form. The volatile essence will now take part in the life process of a greater life expressing through that greater form—a form which had included the lesser form from which the volatile essence had escaped.
11. When this escape occurs it signifies liberation, however relative that liberation may be.
12. The human being, for instance, escapes into the fifth kingdom of nature in such a way as to become a full member of that kingdom, instead of simply an ‘applicant’ to full membership in that kingdom, as had been the case up to the fourth initiation.
13. For the human being at the fourth initiation, it is not the volatile essence in utter purity that escapes. The escaping essence is still encumbered by various identifications or veils, and will be encumbered until the final escape is made into the Universal Ring-Pass-Not. (We have no idea how many trillions of years into the future this final escape may be accomplished—final for this Universe only).
It must be remembered in this connection that radiation occurs when the etheric or true form becomes responsive to certain types of force.
14. We must watch for the way that the etheric body is involved in inducing the process of radiation. There are, after all, many kinds of radiation taking place upon a number of planar levels.
Radiation, as it is occultly understood, does not concern itself with the escape from the physical or dense form, but with that period in the life of any living entity (atomic, human or divine) wherein the etheric or pranic body is in such a state that it can no longer limit or confine the indwelling life.
15. DK is speaking of a kind of escape from the etheric field.
16. We note that the etheric body is called the “pranic body”; it is the vehicle which receives prana, contains and circulates it and radiates it.
17. We understand that the etheric body can act as an imprisoning field to the volatile essence and its consciousness and that when the field is “loosened” or sufficiently refined, it can no longer imprison this essence.
18. We must also realize that the causal body is positioned on what might be called the etheric subplanes of the mental plane, and that, in a sense, the escape of the life centralized in the Jewel in the Lotus at the fourth initiation, is an escape from the mental ethers.
Radiation comes about when the internal, self-sufficient life of any atom is offset by a stronger urge, or pull, emanating from the enveloping greater existence of whose body it may form a part.
19. We see that radiation is induced by the effect of the “greater enveloping existence” upon the nucleus of the existence which is enveloped.
20. The third aspect which is the “internal, self-sufficient life” of the atom is overcome by a greater energy which promotes in the atom a more interactive relationship with the larger enveloping sphere. The atom’s ‘limiting integrity’ is destroyed as its animating life escapes to find its place within the enveloping sphere.
21. The first force (the “internal, self-sufficient life” seeks to maintain the established ring-pass-not and the second force attempts to destroy it in the interests of liberation and greater unification.
22. That which offsets the lower integrative tendencies has been characterized as a “pull”. This means that the Law of Attraction is involved in engineering the response of the lesser, enveloped life to the greater enveloping Life. Life calls to life and form is destroyed.
This is nevertheless only true when it is caused by the pull upon the essential [Page 1064] life by the essential life of the greater form;
23. As stated above. Life calls to life; life answers Life. We are speaking of the interplay of essences.
24. Master DK has told us that, ultimately, magnetism is ruled by the first ray.
There is still another point upon which I would like to touch. Owing to the fact that the Law which governs the Hierarchy is the second systemic law, the Law of Attraction, students are apt to think that magnetism is a second ray quality. They are right in so far that all the systemic laws are expressions of the life of God through the medium, at this time, of the second ray, which makes our solar system a second ray system. All other laws and qualities (for a law from the divine angle is the motivating, qualified agent of the divine will, as understood in Shamballa) are related to the second ray as it manifests through our planetary Logos. Nevertheless, magnetic action is more closely allied to first ray functioning than it is to the second ray, and is an aspect or quality of the Law of Synthesis. It was this magnetic power of the first ray to which the Christ referred when He said "I, if I be lifted up (The Ascension Initiation. A.A.B.), will draw all men unto me." He faced then those initiations which would qualify Him to become what is esoterically called "a Shamballa recipient." There is, in magnetic action, more of the element of the will and of an expressing purpose. In explanation it might be said that the radiation of the Hierarchy, which is definitely second ray in nature, and which is projected as attractive radiation, is implemented by the magnetic aspect. This—as the Old Commentary puts it—is "a point of focussed fire, found in the centre of the jewel. [Page 376] It stirs to life the quality of love which permeates the Ashram of the Lord. Radiation then can penetrate to other centres and to other lives, and thus the Lord is served." It is this point of focussed dynamic will at the very heart of the Hierarchy which in reality implements the Plan. (R&I 375-376)
it is not due to the attractive power of the form aspect of that greater life.
25. We have a very important statement here. The form of the greater Life, which enfolds the lesser life and its form, is not the attractive factor. It is the greater Life itself which calls to the lesser life expressing through the lesser form.
26. And as well, it is not the form life of the enclosed unit on which the “pull” of the greater life is exerted.
A very definite distinction must here be made. It is the failure to recognise this that has led so many alchemical students and scientific investigators to lose their way, and thus negate the conclusions of years of study. They confuse the impulse of the atom to respond to the vibratory magnetic pull of the more powerful and comprehensive form with the true esoteric attraction which alone produces "occult radiation,"
27. DK differentiates between exoteric attraction (emanating from the form life of the greater, including Being) and “the true esoteric attraction”—the attraction of the greater Life upon the lesser life. Like calls to like.
—that of the central essential life of the form in which the element under consideration may have place. It is very necessary to make this clear from the start.
28. We notice DK’s use of the word “element”. The lesser form is considered an “element” within a greater form. Certainly, it is a constituent within the greater form.
29. Thus, when achieving the fourth initiation, it is not the triadal vehicles or the monadic vehicle (for these do exist) which call to the life confined within the causal body, but the Monad itself—the greater Life. The greater energies of buddhi and atma which are expressions of the monadic Life may also be considered as aspect of the “pull” from essence to essence.
Perhaps the whole subject may be clearer if we consider it in the following way.
The atom in a form revolves upon its own axis, follows its own revolution, and lives its own internal life. This concerns its primary awareness.
30. The “primary awareness” of any unit of life is awareness of itself. This is the stage which in the human experience corresponds to individualism.
As time progresses it becomes magnetically aware of the attractive nature of that which envelops it on all sides, and becomes conscious of the form which surrounds it.
31. This is consciousness of the form which surrounds it, but not necessarily consciousness of the greater Life within the greater form.
This is its secondary awareness but it still concerns what we might, for lack of a better term, call matter.
32. Form is composed of matter.
33. The first type of awareness is awareness of its own ring-pass-not. The second type of awareness is awareness of the form of the greater, enfolding Life.
The atom, therefore, has an interplay with other atoms.
34. This is interplay with the other atoms comprising the greater form which surrounds the atom in question.
Later, the atom in a form becomes aware that it not only revolves upon its axis, but that it also follows an orbit around a greater centre of force within a greater form.
35. The atom can become aware of the other atoms to be found within the greater form encompassing it before it becomes aware that it is following an orbit around the major center of force within that greater form.
This is tertiary awareness, and is caused by the magnetic pull of the greater centre being felt, thus causing an urge within the atom which impels it to move within certain specific cycles.
36. Primary awareness is individual; secondary awareness is relational; tertiary awareness causes a yearning to follow a straight line towards a higher attractive center, but (due to cyclic restraints) results in spirals which achieve in a greater amount of time the same objective.
37. The cycles involved might be called ‘cycles of evolutionary ascension’.
38. In time, and symbolically, we could say that the attracted revolving unit spirals inward (metaphysically inward) towards the center of attraction. This culminates in absorption in the greater center.
This awareness, esoterically understood, concerns itself with substance or with the true form within the objective form.
39. Tertiary awareness is concerned with “substance” which is different from matter in its objective state.
40. The movement is towards something more subtle than the form and its environing constituents contacted in secondary awareness. The movement is sequentially into a subtler form and towards the animating center of that subtler form.
Finally, the attractive pull of the greater centre becomes so powerful that the positive life within the atom (whatever type of atom it may be and in whatever kingdom) feels the force of the central energy which holds it, [Page 1065] along with other atoms, coherently fulfilling their function.
41. This is the fourth stage of a four-stage process.
42. This reminds one of the sixth Rule for White Magic: “The devas of the lower four feel the force when the eye opens. They are driven forth and lose their master.”
43. On the human level, we might say that the disciple becomes aware of other disciples in the Ashram before becoming aware of the Master in the Ashram, and before ‘revolving around that Master’, until finally, the force of the Master is so great that the disciple breaks through the ring-pass-not of the ashramic periphery and is drawn progressively towards the Master.
44. We might substitute the word “Monad” for Master when looking at the human being’s initiatory process.
This energy penetrates through the ring-pass-not, evokes no response from what might be called the electronic or negative lives within the atomic periphery,
45. These lesser lives have no more hold over the volatile essence in process of liberation. Such lesser lives used to ‘contain’ the volatile essence inhibiting its release. Now they are no longer sufficiently strong to do so.
46. The greater energy enters and the electronic or negative lives do not ‘know’ it has entered. They are not aroused in resistance.
47. If we analogize to the human atom, the elemental lives do not respond or resist when the greater energy enters. It is too high for them to recognize or resist. Or, these elemental lives have been sufficiently raised in their vibration to offer no resistance.
48. If we analogize to man the social being, the forces of the fourth kingdom of nature (i.e., often the surrounding personnel—one’s family, friends and, in general, the force of society) cannot detect the coming in of the greater force. They are no longer strong enough to prevent its influencing the sensitive human being. That human being is no longer attracted to the surrounding personnel and does not ‘care’ what they think. The transformative forces enter and the usual self-protective responses of socially conditioned people are not aroused and, if they were aroused, would be ineffective.
but does evoke a response from the essential, positive nucleus of the atom.
49. The greater energy reaches through, arousing to response the “positive nucleus of the atom”. The lesser factors within the atom are penetrated and offer no resistance.
This is due to the fact that the essential life of any atom, its highest positive aspect, is ever of the same nature as that of the greater life which is drawing it to itself.
50. Like calls to like. Spirit is merging with Spirit.
51. We are speaking of intercourse between identical essences.
When this is felt sufficiently strongly, the atomic cycle is completed, the dense form is dispelled, the true form is dissipated,
52. By this DK means either the etheric form, or the causal form, or both. The etheric form is always a reflection of the egoic lotus.
53. In the human microcosm, the elemental lives are scattered and return to the reservoir which is designed to receive them. The devic lives of the higher mental plane and the solar angelic forces are scattered and return to their sources—in the case of the Solar Angels, the Heart of the Sun (and perhaps, in some instances, to the Central Spiritual Sun—the monadic Lire of the Solar Logos).
54. In relation to the human being in society, he is ejected from the normal society which characterizes the fourth kingdom of nature, and instead is released into the “Society of Organized and Illumined Minds”. Normal personal and social forces are no longer strong enough to prevent the greater force from stimulating him in such a manner that he breaks fully into the fifth kingdom of nature.
and the central life escapes to find its greater magnetic focal point.
55. The greater magnetic focal point is, as we have been told, that part of the greater enveloping atom which represents the life aspect or the first ray.
56. Let us review the process:
a. Phase one: individual rotary motion
b. Phase two: relational interplay with aspects of the enveloping form.
c. Phase three: discovery of the central Life of the enveloping form and spiralling revolution around that centralized aspect of the enveloping form through which the central Life most expresses.
d. Phase four: reception of the influence of the central Life without resistance from the electronic life of the recipient’s form. Evolutionary spiral-cyclic motion increases progressively.
e. Phase five: intensified radiation of the central nucleus of the enveloped form, until that nucleus (the “volatile essence” of the enveloped form) breaks through its own ring-pass-not and seeks ever-closer direct association with the greater Life of the enveloping form. This type of activity corresponds to the motion of “progress onwards”.
Through this process (which is found throughout the solar system in all its departments) every atom in turn becomes an electron.
57. The atom, which is a greater life to still lesser units, is but an electron to the greater unit which contains it.
58. As well, the liberated essence does not achieve immediate high status in the greater form into which it has been liberated. It takes up a tertiary place and fulfills a humble function.
The positive life of any atom in due course of evolution becomes negative to a greater life toward which it is impelled or drawn,
59. The liberated life “rises to the feet” of the greater Life into whose presence it has been liberated.
60. A homely way of expressing this (and one that is well recognized by most human beings): the big fish in the little pond becomes the little fish in the big pond.
and thus the process of evolution carries every life invariably through the four stages enumerated above.
61. Rotation; Relation; Revolution; Release. (I added as the fourth stage, “Reception”, making “Release” the fifth.)
Within the three lower kingdoms of nature, the process is undergone unconsciously, according to the human connotation of that term;
62. DK is alerting us to the idea that there may be limitations in our conception of “unconsciousness”.
63. There is consciousness of what is happening, but no central “I” point to which to relate the experience. There is no sense of an “I” undergoing the experience. There is only the registration of the experience itself.
it is consciously passed through in the human kingdom, and in the higher spheres of existence, with an enveloping consciousness which can only be hinted at in the ambiguous term "self-conscious group realisation."
64. This is state of consciousness which embraces the qualities of consciousness of both Leo and Aquarius.
65. It is the “We-in-the-I” and the “I-in-the-We”.
66. The individual consciousness is not lost in the growing group consciousness. This paves the way for the realization of the “Individual and the Universal’.
Therefore, after the fourth initiation, when the work of the soul is accomplished and the soul body fades out of the picture, only the quality which it has imparted in substance is left as its contribution—individual, group or planetary—to the sumtotal of manifestation. All that remains is a point of light. This point is conscious, immutable and aware of the two extremes of the divine expression: the sense of individual identity and the sense of universality. These are fused and blended in the ONE. Of this ONE the divine Hermaphrodite is the concrete symbol—the union in one of the pairs of opposites, negative and positive, male and female. In the state of being which we call the monadic, no difference is recognised between these two because (if I can bring such ideas down to the level of the intelligence of the aspirant) it is realised that there is no identity apart from universality and no appreciation of the universal apart from the individual realisation, and this realisation of identification with both the part and the whole finds its point of tension in the will-to-be, which is qualified by the will-to-good and developed (from the consciousness angle) by the will-to-know. (R&I 106)
It was in connection with this transmutative process that the alchemists of old occupied themselves, but seldom did they reach the stage wherein it was possible for them to concern themselves with the response of the two types of positive energy to each other,
67. This means that their experiments rarely dealt with radioactivity as it is here being described and rarely involved the relationship between two essences.
and with the consequent escape of a lesser positive force to its greater attractive centre.
68. These were alchemists working primarily in with the mineral kingdom. They were not capable of rendering radioactive the elements with which they were working.
When they did (with a few exceptions) they were brought up against a dead wall, for though they had succeeded in locating the radiating principle in substance, or in the true form,
69. These successful alchemists were able to register the etheric component of the atom—the ‘substantial’ aspect. They had succeeded in moving beyond the dense physical form.
and had managed to pierce through (or to negate) both the dense physical [Page 1066] body and the etheric form,
70. They also negated the hold which the true form or etheric body had on the volatile essence.
yet they had no perception of the nature of the central force which was drawing the life they were concerned with out of its apparently legitimate sphere into a new realm of activity.
71. Did this new realm of activity involve the vegetable kingdom? Or was the “central force” a still higher order of life within the mineral kingdom?
72. Note the words “apparently legitimate sphere” indicating, as they do, that the larger sphere into which the volatile essence escapes is also a “legitimate sphere” and, perhaps, even more “legitimate”.
Some few did possess this knowledge but (realising the danger of their conclusions) refused to put in writing the result of their investigations.
73. Presumably, these findings could have led to the dematerialization of matter and the liberation of great quantities of energy.
74. We may assume that the fifth ray, in its normal cycle, was not in incarnation at this time, but such workers were certainly responding to a combination of fifth ray and seventh ray energies. From whence did they gather these energies if the rays which promote such investigations were not in incarnation? These are deep questions. The third ray came into incarnation in its present cycle in 1425, and contains rays five and seven, yet there was another 3000 year third ray cycle which may have begun in Grecian times—A.D. 500 or so—which may have been in effect during the period of the alchemists operative before 1425.
If students will study the laws of transmutation,11 as already apprehended, and above all, as incorporated in the writings of Hermes Trismegistus, bearing this in mind, some interesting results might be brought about.
75. Who was Hermes? It would seem that He was a great third ray/seventh ray teacher—the very rays that Master R. now demonstrates so fully as the Mahachohan.
76. This is not to say that Master R. was Hermes Trismegistus, but the close relationship is to be pondered. One can also wonder about the relationship of Hermes to the previous Mahachohan.
77. The writings of Hermes Trismegistus now extant are thought to be some to originate in Neo-Platonic times—i.e. during certain early centuries of the Christian Era.
In connection with Transmutation the following ancient formula is of interest. It was the basis of the alchemical work of olden days.
78. The following is the most famous of all the sayings of Hermes.
"True, without error, certain and most true; that which is above is as that which is below and that which is below is as that which is above, for performing the miracles of the one Thing;
79. These miracles, we may assume, are the many magical operations which are possible when working in the One Substance.
80. They may also be thought of as the various Shaktis associated with the various levels of substance/matter.
and as all things were from one by the mediation of one
81. The One is related to all things which have gone forth from it.
82. This phrase suggests the process of emanation.
so all things arose from this one thing by adaptation.
83. Here is the suggestion that through combinations and permutations of the One Thing in relation to Itself, or through the combinations and permutations of the Aspects of the One Thing, all things may arise.
84. The term “adaptation” suggests the involvement of the third ray and, to a degree, the seventh.
The Father of it is the sun, the mother of it is the moon; the wind carries it in its belly and the Mother of it is the earth.
85. We see how the Moon and Earth are equated; they are both the “Mother of it”.
86. There is a hint concerning the use of the breath in the magical process.
87. We may also visualize here the Tree of Life and the relationship between the sixth, ninth and tenth Sephiroth—Tiphereth, Yesod and Malkuth.
This is the Father of all perfection, and consummation of the whole world. The power of it is integral if it be turned into earth.
88. There is a hint concerning the power of the One Thing embodied in earthly forms. We have the secret of atomic energy hinted.
89. The Father is the Source of archetypal perfection. We may equate the “Father” with the planet Uranus.
90. When this Father or Spirit-power is precipitated into lower substances, it is the power of integration within those substances.
91. We have here a relationship between the Sun, Moon and Earth—between Spirit/Soul, substance/form and matter.
Thou shalt separate the earth from the fire and subtle from the gross, gently with much sagacity;
92. This suggests the separation of substance from matter.
93. This is a direction which alchemists for ages have attempted to fulfill.
it ascends from earth to Heaven, and again descends to earth;
94. The Spirit comes and goes as it wills. It is free.
95. We are speaking about the liberation of the subtle aspects of life from their confining forms.
and receives the strength of the superiors and the inferiors—
96. The Spirit is at home in both worlds and is empowered in both.
97. We are speaking of superior and inferior lives, presumably devic agencies of various kinds. The cooperation of various groups of devas is needed in this alchemical process.
98. The Spirit holds sway over various kinds of devic lives.
so thou hast the glory of the whole world;
99. All things are possible to the one who has been released and can control the various elements.
therefore let all obscurity fly before thee.
100. The veils are penetrated. Ignorance is dispelled.
This is the strong fortitude of all fortitudes overcoming every subtle and penetrating every solid thing. So the world was created."
101. The Great Creative Power is in the hands of the alchemist. There is nothing he cannot do within the many-layered worlds of form.
102. The normal constraints upon change and transformation have been loosened.
103. The alchemist is adept.
—Emerald Tablet of Hermes.
Let them remember that that which "seeks liberty" is the central electric spark; that this liberty is achieved first of all through the results brought about by the activity of the "frictional fire"
104. All fires are involved sequentially in preparing for the release and freedom of the “central electric spark”.
105. “Burning grounds” even of a personal nature are a necessary preparatory stage.
which speeds up its internal vibration;
106. The vibratory rate of the “central electrical spark” is sped up by the frictional fires.
107. The alchemical work is furthered by external application of frictional fires as well as by the internal stimulus of solar and, then, electric fire.
then by the work upon the atom, or the substance of solar fire, which causes:
a. Orbital progression,
b. Stimulative vibration,
c. Awakened internal response,
108. Solar fire plays its part. Growth occurs through sequential exposure during “orbital progression”. Refinement and sensitivity play their parts. All aspects of the atom become vibrant and radiatory. This prepares for the moment of release of the volatile essence.
109. Awakening “internal response” is, first of all, under the influence of solar fire, which prepares the way for the activation of electric fire.
until finally electric fire is contacted.
110. We see this from our own developmental process. We do not reach release into the monadic sphere immediately, or even release into direct contact with the Monad. We must first pass through the stages when fire by friction and, then, solar fire dominate and prepare the way for the time when the influence of the Monad will be the major influence upon the human energy system.
111. The process of working through the two lower fires on the way to the third represents a gradual unveiling.
This is true of all atoms: [Page 1067]
a. The atom of substance,
b. The atom of a form whatsoever it be,
c. The atom of a kingdom in nature,
d. The atom of a planet,
e. The atom of a solar system.
112. DK has listed some of the types of atoms to be encountered. The names of some important atoms have been skipped.
113. Of interest is the phrase “the atom of a kingdom of nature”.
114. To the extent that every form has Spirit, soul and body, it is an atom.
In every case the three fires or types of energy play their part; in every case the four stages are passed through;
115. As above, summarized as: Rotation; Relation; Revolution; (Reception); Release
in every case transmutation, transference, or radiation takes place,
116. Another name for radiation is “transference”. The life is transferred from a lesser ring-pass-not into a greater.
and the result of the escape of the central positive energy is achieved, and its absorption into a greater form, to be held in place for a specific cycle by the stronger energy.
117. The liberated essence is not, thus, unconditionally free. It is free only to be bound. The greater Life of the greater form into which it is liberated binds it for a term. All proceeds under law.
This process of rendering radioactive all the elements has, as we have seen, occupied students down the ages.
118. The stage of radioactivity is a consummating stage. There are different forms of radioactivity and according to the level of the form to be rendered radioactive, so will be the type of radioactivity achieved. The radioactivity of a mineral is not that of a plant or animal, yet all achieve, at length, radioactivity.
The alchemists of the middle ages beginning with the simpler elements and starting with the mineral kingdom sought to find out the secret of the liberating process, to know the method of release, and to understand the laws of transmutation.
119. Transmutation, or the refinement of matter, prepares the way for liberation.
120. In an historical period of spiritual oppression, a mode of liberation was sought, though we can say with confidence that the practice of alchemy far antedates the Middle Ages.
They did not succeed in the majority of cases
121. Apparently some did succeed.
because, having located the essence, they had no idea how to deal with it when released, nor (as we have seen) had they any conception as to the magnetic force which was drawing the released essence to itself.
122. Two sources of failure are listed: the inability to handle the released essence and the inability to understand the greater energy inducing the release of the essence and drawing that essence towards itself.
123. Note again the term “magnetic force” can apply to the attractive power of the greater enveloping form or the attractive power of the nucleus of the greater Life or essence.
To comprehend the law and therefore to be able to work perfectly with it, the experimenting student must have the ability to release the essence from its form.
124. And even in this, the average alchemist failed.
125. Analogically, our entire study of spirituality leads towards the full release of the essence into the fifth kingdom of nature.
He must know the formulae and words which will direct it to that particular focal point in the mineral kingdom which stands in the same correspondential relation to the mineral monad as the Ego on its own plane stands to the man who casts off his physical and true forms through death.
126. Here there is a clarification of the point raised earlier in this commentary. Through the alchemical process as enacted with respect to the mineral kingdom, the essence is not always released into the vegetable kingdom but into a superior condition within the mineral kingdom—i.e., released towards closer relation to the mineral Monad. There do come, however, points of transference from kingdom to kingdom and these are also vital points of alchemical release.
127. We see that the “formula and words” were not in the possession of the average alchemist.
128. There is the analog of and ‘egoic point’ within the mineral kingdom and towards it the release essence is to gravitate. Certain words and formulas will make that gravitation possible.
129. And if the liberated essence arrived at the “focal point”. What then?
This involves knowledge only committed to the pledged disciple;
130. Most pledged disciples, of whom we know, have not received such knowledge. Perhaps these words are committed along the third ray, fifth ray and seventh ray lines. Perhaps, also, the time has not yet come for the committing of these words to pledged disciples. In other words, with the time comes that such words may be safely committed, they will be committed only to pledged disciples.
if chance students stumble upon the law, and theoretically know the process, they would do well to proceed no further until they have learned how [Page 1068] to protect themselves from the interplay of forces.
131. Another caution is given. DK said how many disasters would arise through man’s imminent encounter with the deva kingdom.
132. It is always true of neophytes upon the path of occult development: “fools rush in where angels fear to tread”.
As we well know, the workers with radium, and those who experiment in the world's laboratories, suffer frequently from loss of limb or life; this is due to their ignorance of the forces they are dealing with.
133. There are pictures of early experiments actually handling radium (radioactive isotopes) with their bare hands!
The liberated essences become conductors of the greater force which is their magnetic centre, because they are responsive to it,
134. This is a point of great moment. The liberated essence, thus, becomes empowered by the greater force of the greater center.
135. From the human perspective the essence within the causal body is weaker than the essence liberated into the spiritual triad.
and it is this force which produces the distressing conditions sometimes present in connection with radioactive substances.
136. We are now speaking of the burning of tissue which occurs in the unprotected presence of radioactive substances.
137. The cause is the greater power of the magnetic center towards which the liberated essence is attracted.
Every radioactive atom becomes, through this conductive faculty, a releasing agent;
138. From the human perspective a liberated human being becomes a releasing agent for the power of the Monad. His vehicles can be ‘burned’ thereby. Others in his presence can also be ‘burned’ in other ways.
139. But because the greater force of the greater magnetic center is conducted through the released essences, the result can also be a releasing effect upon other atoms contacted.
140. It would seem that radioactive substances which are in process of release are also conductors of the greater force of the higher magnetic center. The burning discussed below can occur, it seems, before there is complete release of the essence. This must be investigated.
and they consequently cause what we call burns. These burns are the result of the process of releasing the essential life of the atom of physical substance being dealt with.
141. The empowered volatile essence, when released, impacts substances which cannot withstand its power.
142. From the human perspective, the ‘released initiate’ must modulate his radiatory impact if he is not to be the cause of harm to those around him.
There might here be noted the curious phenomenon, in the human kingdom which is erroneously termed the prolongation of life; it might more truthfully be called the perpetuation of the form.
143. DK, obviously, does not think much of the desperate attempts of modern medical science to prevent the unit of consciousness from escaping the confines of the dense physical body.
Medical science today strains every effort to retain life in forms diseased and inadequate; these Nature, if left to herself, would long ago have discarded.
144. Thus, there is a greater wisdom in Nature. It seeks the advancement of the consciousness. This cannot be achieved in inadequate forms.
145. Note the discarding process which is a natural part of Nature’s dynamics.
They thereby imprison the life, and force back the life essence again and again into the sheath at the moment of liberation.
146. Perhaps this is why, so it is reported, that those who have ‘died’ greatly resent being ‘called back’ by ‘heroic’ medical efforts.
147. We can see that what is called the “release of the volatile essence” occurs in several phases depending upon that category of form from which it is being released (for instance: the dense physical body, the etheric body, the astral body, the lower mental body, the causal body, etc.) Every time a vehicle dies and the “center of consciousness” is released to pursue experience in a higher vehicle (unencumbered by the lower vehicle) there is a kind of “release of the volatile essence”.
In course of time and with more knowledge, true medical science will become purely preventative.
148. “An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.”
149. Etheric vision will make it possible to “see trouble coming”.
Let the healer train himself to know the inner stage of thought or of desire of the one who seeks his help. He can thereby know the source from which the trouble comes. Let him relate the cause and the effect, and know the point exact through which relief must come. (Rule III, EH 57)
It will concentrate its ability on preserving the atomic life of the human atom, and at furthering the preservative protective processes,
150. This will involve the strengthening of the health aura—the radiatory power of the etheric body.
and the functionary smoothness of the atomic rotary life, thus conducing to the correct following of the human orbital path.
151. From a certain perspective, the “human orbital path” is pursued on the “wheel of life”. There is a proper ‘reincarnational rhythm’ for the human being which will be rightly fulfilled when there is health, vibrancy and “functionary smoothness of the atomic rotary life”. From this perspective, the “orbital path” includes passage through the Ego on the higher mental plane.
But further than that it will not go, and when the course of nature has been run, when the wheel of life has run down, when the hour for liberation has struck, when the time has come for the return of the essence to its centre, then the work will be recognised as completed, and the form discarded.
152. Medical doctors will not interfere inappropriately nor interrupt the natural process of extraction and release.
153. Much reduction of the fear of death will be required before this attitude is of general acceptance.
154. Notice here that the “centre” to which the essence is to return is, after several phases, the Ego on the higher mental plane.
But this will not, however, be possible until the human family has reached a stage [Page 1069] when, through pure living and clean thinking, the present corruptions have been eliminated.
155. “When the building energies of the soul are active in the body, then there is health, clean interplay and right activity. When the builders are the lunar lords and those who work under the control of the moon and at the behest of the lower Personal self, then you have disease, ill health and death.” (LAW VI, EH 191)
156. We can see the intimate relationship between clean thinking and pure living. Following occult sequence, the first should precede the second.
157. Many purificatory processes lie ahead before the desired state of wisdom and detachment can be achieved.
Men will then function on into old age,
158. They will do so in full heath, such will be the advanced state of medical knowledge.
159. Elsewhere, DK has told us that, in the future, the body may be dropped earlier than now it is, once the life purpose has been accomplished.
or until the Ego, realising the particular work to be accomplished in any one life has been duly worked out,
160. This is according to the judgment of the Ego and not the judgment of the personality. These two often differ appreciably.
161. It seems that there is a certain elasticity to life in form. The Ego may wait, so it seems, until the soul-in-incarnation has accomplished the particular work to be accomplished.
calls in the lower spark of life, and withdraws the central point of fire.
162. The “lower spark of life” and the “central point of fire” are here equivalent.
163. The withdrawal or release of the “essence” so much discussed in these sections of text, is the withdrawal of the “lower spark of life”.
164. There is also a ‘higher spark of life’ of which the “lower spark of life” is an emanative extension.
This naturally presupposes knowledge and faculties at present lacking.
165. The Ego does this even now, but the man on the physical plane does not realize it is happening and is no position, in terms of his knowledge, to cooperate with it.
All these thoughts can be extended to include entire kingdoms of nature, the globes of a chain, the chains themselves, a planetary scheme or a solar system.
166. The Law of Analogy ever holds good, but man being in no position to understand how this abstracting process occurs in relation to his own microcosm, is in no position to understand in any detail how it applies to the larger forms of life in which is lives and moves.
The moon is an interesting instance of the transmutative or liberating process practically completed in a globe:
167. Which globe? The fourth? Probably—the fourth globe of the former third chain of the Earth-scheme. And which round? Individualization took place on the Moon-chain in the fifth race of the third round. If the destruction took place in the fourth round (fourth race) it would have set up a resonance of the incoming of Moon-chain Egos in the fourth rootrace of the fourth round on the Earth-chain.
168. Is DK telling us that the transmutative or liberating process is, even now, still continuing on the Moon? It would seem so from what is said below.
the essential life of the human kingdom has withdrawn and found a new field of expression.
169. Was it a natural process? Was there a natural completion? Or was the process interrupted as we have been told, before there could be completion?
170. That new field of expression became the Earth-chain and this field of expression was needed because the natural evolutionary process was disturbed by the Solar Logos.
The progress of evolution on the moon was abruptly disturbed and arrested by the timely interference of the solar Logos. The secret of the suffering in the Earth chain, which makes it merit the name of the Sphere of Suffering, and the mystery of the long and painful watch kept by the SILENT WATCHER,48 has its origin in the events which brought the moon chain to a terrific culmination. Conditions of agony and of distress such as are found on our planet are found in no such degree in any other scheme. (TCF 416)
All animal life has equally been absorbed by a greater centre in another chain.
171. Can we, with reason, think of this chain as the sixth—the Mars-chain? There are a number of triangles in the diagram of the Mars-chain indicating an affinity for the third or animal kingdom.
172. Does this mean that no Moon-chain animal life was absorbed into the Earth-chain of the Earth-scheme?
Practically the same can be said of the vegetable kingdom on the moon though there are a few of the lower forms of the vegetable life (of a kind unrecognisable by us) still to be found there;
173. A fascinating thought. Perhaps recent explorations of the Moon have gathered examples of these lower forms together without realizing it.
174. Were the vegetable forms transferred, apparently, to still another chain, transferred, perhaps, to the second of Venus-chain? The vegetable kingdom is the second kingdom.
whilst the mineral kingdom is radioactive and the essence of all mineral forms is fast escaping.
175. But escaping whither if not to another chain?
176. The “Mystery of the Moon” is far deeper than we suspect.
177. We see that not all Moon lives were transferred to the Earth-chain.
178. If the mineral kingdom on the Moon is radioactive now it would seem that contemporary science should be able to determine if this is the case. Perhaps analysis of rock from the Moon will reveal the extent to which it is radioactive or not.
179. What will remain of the mineral forms once the essence of the mineral forms escapes? We may infer that this escape will contribute to the physical disintegration of the present physical form of the Moon.
In connection with the kingdoms of nature, it must be remembered that their growth and eventual radiation is dependent upon the cyclic purpose of the planetary Logos, and upon the currents of force which play upon His planetary body, and which emanate from other planetary schemes.
180. The different kinds of radioactivity achieved in the various kingdoms on our planet (and in other places within our planetary scheme) depend on many factors. Currents of force external to our Planetary Logos and coming from other planetary schemes determine, in part, the timing of the radioactive demonstration of any kingdom of nature. The “cyclic purpose of the Planetary Logos”, however, is probably the most important determinant.
181. If we examine the state of the various kingdoms on our planet, we will see that, relatively speaking, the planet kingdom (as the most highly developed kingdom) is closer to a state of radioactivity than the other kingdoms, and especially closer than the animal or the human kingdom.
182. Humanity, however, is
heading into a period of increasing radiation. This has happened twice before
in recent history—once at the time of the Christ in
All atoms become radioactive as the result of a response to a stronger magnetic centre which response is brought about through the gradual evolutionary development of consciousness of some kind or another.
183. A greater magnetic center is always the cause of the radioactivity of a lesser life.
184. This happens only gradually and requires the growth of consciousness to prepare the lesser atom for response to the greater magnetic center.
This is known to be true in a small degree in connection with the mineral kingdom though scientists have not yet admitted that radiation is thus caused.
185. A little over a hundred years ago, humanity entered a phase in which radiation/radioactivity in the mineral kingdom became a well-known and widely accepted fact.
Later they will, but only when this general theory which is here laid down in connection with all atoms is admitted by them to be a plausible hypothesis.
186. We see how important this book, A Treatise on Cosmic Fire, will be to scientists of the coming era.
187. It seems as if Master DK is planting the seeds for the development of many forms of knowledge in the coming Age.
Then the goal of their endeavour will be somewhat changed; they will seek to ascertain through clear thinking and a study of the involved analogy what focal points of magnetic energy may be regarded as existing, and how they affect the atoms in their environment.
188. They will be entering an appreciation of the life of the greater Being Who is the ensouling Life of the mineral kingdom.
189. Interestingly the use of the Law of Analogy will be necessary for scientific progress along these lines.
190. Scientists now know something about the existence of the nucleus of the atom, but of the greater magnetic center which ‘calls to’ the life within the atom, they know little if anything.
191. One can think that such discoveries will be made partially under the influence of magnetic, attractive Jupiter in Aquarius.
One hint only can here be given. Light upon these dark problems will come along two lines.
First, it will come through the study of the place of the solar system in the universal whole, and the effect that certain constellations have upon it;
192. Thus the work of the esoterically-inclined astrophysicist will be necessary to the scientific alchemist.
193. We can see also, why DK said that a study of analogies would be required to discover what focal points of magnetic energy might exist.
194. What we are attempting to do now—blending macrocosm and microcosm through a study of analogy—will be the mode of procedure for scientific alchemical investigators of the future.
195. The effect of greater cosmic centers upon lesser ‘atoms’ such as our Sun and its solar system will give the analogical hint.
secondly, it will come through a close study of the effect of one planetary scheme upon another, and the place of the moon in our own planetary life.
196. So the alchemical scientific investigator will have to “look to the heavens” for hints regarding the discovery of the focal points of magnetic energy.
197. Uranus is the planet of radioactivity and, presumably, the influence of the Moon, such as it is today, resists the activation of radioactivity in elemental substances within the Earth-globe (and perhaps chain(, though its own physical disintegration may be seen as partially related to the radioactive state of its mineral forms.
198. Mars rules exoteric science and Uranus rules occult science. These two may play opposing roles. The planet Uranus has a liberative effect upon the Creative Hierarchy of Lunar Lords, which is ruled, in different ways, by both Mars and the Moon.
This will lead to a close investigation of polar conditions in the earth, of the planetary magnetic currents, and of the electrical intercourse between our earth, and the Venusian and Martian planetary schemes.
199. Are Venus and Mars meant to be the two planetary schemes suggested above when DK mentioned “the effect of one planetary scheme upon another”? We could understand this to be the case. If so, Mars would be the retarding factor resisting the etherealization of matter and Venus the soul-related promotive factor.
200. From another perspective, Mars represents fire by friction and Venus solar fire, both of which (we have been told above) prepare the way for the demonstration of radiation.
201. Let us tabulate the three factors which will be investigated:
a. Polar conditions—the relationship between the magnetic condition of the North Pole and the Southern Pole
b. Planetary magnetic currents
c. The relationship between Earth, Venus and Mars
When this has been accomplished, astronomy and esoteric astrology will be revolutionised, and the nature of solar energy as an expression of an Entity of the fourth rank will be appreciated.
202. The occultism only deepens.
203. We have in the Teaching the statement that our Solar Logos is one of the “fourth order”. Does DK here refer to the ranking of our Solar Logos; is He an “Entity of the fourth rank”—for instance within His own Creative Hierarchy of Solar Logoi?
204. Or are we speaking of an Entity even greater in scope?
205. It also seems necessary to notice the role played by the fourth cosmic etheric subplane which, itself, is an entified sphere.
From the cosmic point of view, as we know, our sun is but of the fourth order, and on the lowest cosmic plane. When the Son has, through the Sun, attained full expression (that is, perfected His display of light and heat) then He will shine forth upon another plane, that of the cosmic mental. (TCF 230)
206. We note also that by the time of this revolution “esoteric” astrology will be well-established and presumably in need of revolutionizing.
This will come at the close of this century after a scientific discovery of even greater importance to the scientific world than that as to the nature of the atom.
207. We do not know whether such a discovery has come or even what it is intended to be. Perhaps, since this book was written in the early 1920’s, some retardation has set in. On the other hand, the implications of discoveries made the scientific elite take some time to percolate into the consciousness of humanity.
Until that time it will be as difficult to express the hylozoistic conception in terms of exact science
208. Though it can be expressed more philosophically and symbolically…
as it would be for the sixteenth century ancestor of present humanity to conceive of the atom as being simply an aspect of force, and not objective and tangible. Hence further elucidation will but serve to confuse.
209. The veils over the mind are only slowly lifted and what is now inconceivable becomes reasonable speculation.
210. We presume that our ability to think in terms of the intangible is rapidly growing.