Fellowship of Cosmic Fire
Commentary Semester VIII Section XI
TCF 1054-1060: S8S11 Part I
Most of the Tibetan’s text is put in font 16, to provide better legibility when projected during classes. Footnotes and references from other AAB Books and from other pages of TCF are put in font 14. Commentary appears in font 12. Underlining, Bolding and Highlighting by MDR)
It is suggested that this Commentary be read with the TCF book handy, for the sake of continuity. As analysis of the text is pursued, many paragraphs are divided, and the compact presentation in the book, itself, will convey the overall meaning of the paragraph. So please read an entire paragraph and then study the Commentary
3. The Law of Solar Evolution.
It is, of course, a truism to state that the Law of Solar Evolution is the sum-total of all the lesser activities.
1. All laws operative within the solar system are contained within it, though cosmic laws are not.
[Page 1055] We might consider this point in connection with the planetary atom, and the solar atom.
The planetary atom has, as all else in nature, three main activities:
2. We discuss first the “planetary atom” and then the solar atom.
First. It rotates upon its own axis,
3. This rotation determines the diurnal cycle.
revolves cyclically within its own ring-pass-not, and thus displays its own inherent energy.
4. The term “revolution” relates mostly to the second ray whereas the term “rotation” relates to the third ray.
5. When we see the words “revolves cyclically” we should remember that “cyclic activity” is the type of motion which DK related directly to the second ray.
6. In this case, the ring-pass-not of the planetary atom is its orbit.
7. He seems to suggest that the revolution of our planetary atom is the result of “its own inherent energy”.
What is meant by this phrase? Surely that the milliards of atoms which compose the planetary body (whether dense or subtle) pursue an orbital course around the central energetic positive unit.
8. These atoms may be rotating on their own axis at tremendous rates of speed, but together they are made to pursue an “orbital course around the central energetic positive unit”.
9. They both revolve around the central energetic positive unit which pertains to the Planetary Logos (for them the type of movement involved is revolution, though for the Planetary Logos, it is rotation) and because they perforce accompany the planetary atom in its revolution around the Sun, they as well are made to revolve around the Sun considered as a still larger central energetic positive unit
10. If we think about the implications of DK’s statements we shall come to understand the subtle vehicles of the Planetary Logos are all in a state of rotation around a central point with the energy system of the Planetary Logos. The rate of rotation of these vehicles is of great importance when considering the dynamics of planetary processes.
This dynamic force centre must be considered as subsisting naturally in two locations (if such an unsuitable term is permissible)
11. The term “subsisting” denotes a subtle location and not a dense physical location.
12. DK is helping us locate the “dynamic force center” around which the milliards of atoms in a planetary system revolve. Perhaps we should say that the sheaths of a Planetary Logos rotate around such a dynamic force center, but that the milliards of tiny atoms which are incorporated in such sheaths pursue a type of motion which is more like revolution—as they are swept along in the rotation of the vehicle of which they form a part.
according to the stage, usage, and particular type of the indwelling planetary entity.
13. In our solar system we have three types of indwelling planetary entities.
a. In what corresponds to the head centre in man, if the planetary Logos is of very advanced development.
14. Head center development is always considered ultimate. In the cases of an advanced Planetary Logos the head center is considered the “central energetic positive unit”.
15. Perhaps this would be the case in those Planetary Logoi Who are synthesizing planets.
b. In the planetary correspondence to the heart centre.
16. We may infer that such Planetary Logoi are advanced but not as advanced as the Logoi of synthesizing planets.
The throat centre is, of course, ever vibrant in all the Logoi, as all are fully intelligent Creators, having perfected this capacity in an earlier solar system.
17. DK is not telling us which solar system He is referencing, but in any case it was long ago.
18. The implication could be that, for a non-sacred planet, revolution occurs around the throat center and that it is that center which for them stands for the "central energetic positive unit" subsisting naturally in a certain location.
19. Whether, however, the throat center serves such a function in the case of non-sacred planets cannot be ascertained.
Students should here bear in mind that these centres of force are to be found depicted in the central Triangles upon the chart on page 373,
20. It is best for us to review that chart. We see that the central position of all three allows for the concept of revolution around each one.
though no indication is to be found through a study of such triangles as to the relative attainment of the planetary Logos.
21. This is a secret of initiation, obviously. We may assume that each Logos has its own specific degree of unfoldment, just as has the Logos of every Sun and every zodiacal or greater constellation.
22. We may assume that the synthesizing planets are the most evolved, though Venus may well be the most unfolded. There is a clear difference between the degree of evolution and the degree of unfoldment.
Within the chains likewise, will be found corresponding centres of energy, and also within the dense physical body of the Logos of any scheme, the physical planet.
23. We are speaking of three centers of energy. We are told that correspondences to the higher three (the planetary level) will be found at the chain level and the globe level.
24. From what is said below we see that the centers are considered to be quite literal. At least with respect to the dense physical body, they have a definite physical location.
25. As to what actually is the dense physical body of a Planetary Logos, we should pause to reflect whether we are speaking of strictly physical density (the gaseous, liquid and apparently ‘solid’ strata) or whether we are speaking of the mental plane as gaseous, the astral plane as liquid and the etheric-physical plane as relatively ‘solid’.
26. We must remember that a Planetary Logos has an etheric body made of cosmic ethers and a dense physical body made of mental, astral and systemic etheric-physical substance-matter.
One such centre is to be found at the North Pole,
27. This, we may presume, is the correspondence to the head center.
and two more are located within the planetary sphere,
28. Is Master DK distinguishing between “within” and “upon”?
29. Presumably these other centers would be correspondences to the heart center and the throat center.
30. Although we may not be in a position to locate these other two centers with precision, we simply have to bear in mind that within the planetary atom rotation and revolution are constant.
and frequently the inflow of force or energy to these internal centres (via the polar centre) results in those disasters we call earthquakes, and volcanic eruptions.
31. We note that the inflow occurs via the polar center and flows to one or other or both of the other centers with cataclysmic results.
32. Note particularly the words “these internal centers”. These words definitively answer the question concerning whether the two additional centers are to be found upon or within the planetary sphere. The answer is—they are internal to that sphere and are found within it.
33. We may extend the analogy to the microcosm. We may presume that inflow occurs via the head center and makes its way to the throat center and heart center, with results that are momentous for the energy system concerned.
34. If we wish to treat the inflow in strictly physical terms, we would speak of the pineal gland, the thymus and the thyroid representing respectively the head center, the heart center and the throat center.
35. We must remember that every occultist has the head center active. All ten Seed Groups require that its members have the head center functioning.
36. We can assume that ‘instructions’ from the Planetary Logos enter via the head center of the dense physical globe—related closely to the North Pole of the globe. The North Pole (and South) will have its correspondences in the astral and mental sheaths of the dense physical globe.
37. This brings us back to the idea that the Earth-globe is not made only of etheric-physical matter, but has all the sheaths which are correlated with all seven principles. Examining this assertion closely could open up a very serious debate.
There is, as we know, a cyclic shifting of polar inclination,
38. This is more than the shifting of magnetic polarities which contemporary science already recognizes.
39. We seem to be dealing with a measurable, geometrical fact. The degree of inclination seems to be changing, as occult astronomy has said it has done a number of times in the past.
40. We are not simply dealing with the gyration of the pole, producing the twelve precessional ages and, at length, an entire Platonic Year. Rather, we are dealing with an actual change of inclination—an angular change.
41. Just as the gyration of the pole is cyclic, so apparently, is this shifting of polar inclination. We do not, however, know the cycle for this latter and more momentous type of shift. Sampson Arnold Mackey had much to say about this in his Mythological Astronomy.
[Page 1056] due to the gradually increasing responsiveness of the planetary Logos to His heavenly Prototype,
42. But the cause of this axial shift is very occult. Within the seven major stars of the Great Bear is one which, at this time, can be considered the “heavenly Prototype” of our Planetary Logos.
43. We have discussed this matter before. Is it Alioth, the third star, correlating with the third ray personality of the Planetary Logos of the Earth-scheme? Or is it a star correlating with our Planetary Logoi second ray soul, or with His first ray Monad?
44. It seems that, at this time, at least, the star Alioth might be a pretty good bet, correlating as it would with Saturn, which planet represents the mental body of a great Entity, with Earth as the physical body of Earth and Mars as the astral body. The star Alioth must be closely correlated with the synthesizing planet Saturn, which has a third ray Monad.
whereby influences from the Great Bear draw, or occultly "attract," the attention of the Logos,
45. Through the Heavenly Prototype the influence of the entire Great Bear reaches our Planetary Logos.
46. There is probably also a star in the Great Bear which is most closely related to every Sun in the "Seven Solar Systems of Which Ours is One" –including our own.
47. A triangle could be drawn from that star to our Sun and to Jupiter, perhaps. It would be a second ray triangle, very influential in our solar system.
48. We are learning that the attention of our Planetary Logos is being drawn increasingly towards the Great Bear via one of its stars.
49. Probably the lore surrounding each of the stars should be closely studied.
50. Here from the Wikipedia is a reference on Alioth:
Epsilon Ursae Majoris
12h 54m 01.6s
+55° 57′ 35.4″
U-B color index
B-V color index
Radial velocity (Rv)
Proper motion (μ)
40.3 ± 0.62 mas
Absolute magnitude (MV)
Book plate by Sydney Hall depicting Ursa Major's stars
Epsilon Ursae Majoris (ε UMa / ε Ursae Majoris) is the brightest star in the constellation Ursa Major (despite its Bayer designation being merely "epsilon"), and at magnitude 1.76 is the thirty-first brightest star in the sky. It has the traditional name Alioth (from the Arabic word alyat—fat tail of a sheep).
It is known as 北斗五 (the Fifth Star of the Northern Dipper) or 玉衡 (the Star of Jade Sighting-tube) in Chinese.
PeculiaritiesIt is the star in the tail of the bear closest to its body, and thus the star in the handle of the Big Dipper closest to the bowl. It is also a member of the large and diffuse Ursa Major moving group. Historically, the star was frequently used in celestial navigation in the maritime trade, because it is listed as one of the 57 navigational stars.
According to Hipparcos, Alioth is 81 light years (25 parsecs) from Earth. Its spectral type is A0p; the "p" stands for peculiar, as the spectrum of its light is characteristic of an Alpha2 Canum Venaticorum variable. Alioth, as a representative of this type, may harbor two interacting processes. First, the star's strong magnetic field separating different elements in the star's hydrogen 'fuel'. In addition, a rotation axis at an angle to the magnetic axis may be spinning different bands of magnetically-sorted elements into the line of sight between Alioth and the Earth. The intervening elements react differently at different frequencies of light as they whip in and out of view, causing Alioth to have very strange spectral lines that fluctuate over a period of 5.1 days.
With Alioth, the rotational and magnetic axes are at almost 90 degrees to one another. A map of the star below shows how darker (denser) regions of chromium form a band at right angles to the equator.
A recent study suggests Alioth's 5.1-day variation may be due to a substellar object of about 14.7 Jupiter masses in an eccentric orbit (e=0.5) with an average separation of 0.055 astronomical units.
Alioth has a relatively weak magnetic field, fifteen times weaker than α CVn, but it is still 100 times stronger than that of the Earth.
51. There are many interesting thoughts in this section, but underlined above is a section of text which calls attention to the separative or separating dynamics operative on Alioth. In this case we should recall the name of the Third Ray Lord: “the Divine Separator”.
52. Alioth is apparently the brightest start in the Great Bear. This may correlate well with the importance of the third ray within the local cosmosystem—the system of the "One About Whom Naught May Be Said". Dubhe (a star reasonably correlated with Leo and the fifth ray) has the same visual or apparent magnitude--approximately 1.8.
and bring Him more into line with a greater impulsive Will.
53. As the second ray soul of our Planetary Logos emerges into greater prominence, we may find changes in the Earth’s axial inclination caused by the star Mizar—reputedly the major second ray star in the Great Bear.
54. This entire matter invites the most careful speculative research.
This shifting causes disruption in His lower manifestation, which is a condition on the cosmic Path of Initiation analogous to that undergone by a disciple.
55. Our Planetary Logos is treading the Path of Cosmic Initiation. A major initiation lies head for Him and presently He is undergoing a minor initiation corresponding to the fourth initiation (on a chain level). (cf. TCF 384)
56. The lower eighteen subplanes may be considered for our Planetary Logos “His lower manifestation”. Due to this shifting and the role it plays in His initiatory process, our Planetary Logos is undergoing a state of disruption within His lower vehicles analogous to that which a disciple (on his own level) experiences when treading an analogous section of the Path.
57. We have been told that for disciples whose soul ray is the second (or one of the even-numbered rays), the second initiation is one of the most difficult. Well, our Planetary Logos is destined before long to undergo His own second cosmic initiation. The difficulties of the relatively minor fourth initiation (in process now) only prepare the way for still greater difficulties when the major or “cosmic” second initiation will be taken.
58. It is possible, and must be researched, that our Planetary Logos’ major second initiation will coincide with his minor fifth and that the climactic result will be the "Judgment Day" in His fifth round (presumably, fifth chain round and not fifth scheme round—though this must be more thoroughly researched).
The planetary atom revolves upon its axis and comes periodically under influences which produce definite effects.
59. One profound reason for the rotation of any unit is what can be called ‘incremental assimilation’.
60. When DK speaks of the “planetary atom” presumably He is speaking not only of our small globe but of the entirety of the planetary atom consisting of all chains contained within the planetary scheme and all globes contained within all planetary chains.
61. We are speaking of the major influences which have an effect upon our planetary atom.
These influences are, among others, those of the moon, and of the two planets which lie nearest to it on either side—nearer and farther away from the Sun.
62. It would seem that DK is speaking of Venus (closer to the Sun) and Mars (farther from the Sun). Of course there are other planets of an etheric, invisible or undiscovered nature, and we must assure ourselves that Master DK is not referencing one of them. DK did indicate other important influences by the term “among others”.
63. Naturally, it is the influences of the Moon and Mars which we must transcend and do so rather well by the time of the third initiation. Towards the influences of Venus we are spiritually attracted and, therefore, gravitate.
64. In the dynamics between Earth and these three ‘planets’ must about the history of human evolution is contained.
The moon's influence
65. DK has said that the Moon has no “radiation”, but apparently, as it passes through its processes of decay, I has an “influence” on certain aspects of the Planetary Logos’ energy system.
is exceedingly strong, and has a curious resemblance (as far as the physical planet is concerned) to the "Dweller on the Threshold," which has such a familiar and potent effect upon the human atom.
66. It is curious that DK links the "Dweller on the Threshold" to the physicality of the Moon. We could ask, “Have the other principles and vehicles of the Moon been entirely removed, abstracted?” There are places in the Teaching in which DK seems to suggest this.
67. We do know that the human "Dweller on the Threshold" has its astral and mental components as well as an etheric-physical component.
68. The physical Moon has often been discussed as a systemic corpse with all the unwholesome effects of an unburied dead body in an advanced state of decay.
The resemblance must not be strained, for it should be borne in mind that the moon has no effect upon the Heavenly Man Himself,
69. The Heavenly Man is not considered to manifest through His dense physical vehicle which is not a principle.
70. The physical Moon is merely a cast off dense vehicle of a former incarnation of an aspect of our Heavenly Man. It may, however, have an influence on aspects of His own dense physical body (which is not a principle).
as His stage of evolution negates such a thing, but that the influence felt is by the planetary Entity the sumtotal of the elemental essences of the planet.
71. The consciousness of the Heavenly Man is far above occurrences within His dense physical vehicle.
72. The effect of the Moon is upon the sumtotal of elemental essence which, in aggregate, is known as the “planetary Entity”.
73. Since man (given his present focus within the energy system of the Heavenly Man) must manifest through this elemental essence and through the elemental forms composed of it, man is, thus far, very influenced by the physical nature of the Moon.
Scientific occult students
74. Those who, presumably, work upon the fifth ray…
will learn much anent the planetary scheme
75. I.e., our planetary scheme…
when they consider the influence of the moon's karmic pull upon the earth,
76. There are many unsolved mysteries associated with our planetary scheme.
77. Much lunar karma is presently being worked off within the Earth-scheme and especially within the Earth-chain and upon our Earth-globe.
78. We have also to think seriously about the effect of the Moon in the horoscope of the average human being. This effect is analogous to the “karmic pull upon the earth” cited above.
79. Karma is worked off in the realm of the third aspect, and it is within the domain o this aspect that the Moon has its only effect upon the vehicle of our Planetary Logos.
coupled with the effect of the two neighboring planets, occultly understood.
80. We find the Moon closely related to Mars. They are both connected with the animal nature of man and with that Creative Hierarchy known as the “Lunar Lords”—the sixth manifested Creative Hierarchy.
81. The influence of Venus is foreign to that of the Moon. Ultimately, Venus represents the Solar Angels or Solar Lords. These Beings are the redeemers of the Lunar Lords. We see the astrological opportunity should Venus conjunct the Moon, or square or oppose it, for instance. Venus in relation to Mars would have a similar effect. A strong engagement between the Redeemers (associated with Venus) and those to be redeemed (associated with the Moon and also Mars) would result.
Second, the planetary atom also revolves orbitally around its solar centre. This is its expression of rotary-spiral-cyclic action, and its recognition of the divine central magnet.
82. We might wonder how spiral motion is represented. We understand the Earth’s rotation on its own axis to be rotary motion. We understand its revolution around the Sun to represent cyclic action. But what of the spiral component?
83. This is solved when we realize that the Sun is driving (some call it ‘drifting’) through space towards its own objective and that, therefore, as the Earth (and all other planets) rotates around the Sun it is also spiraling due to the Sun’s progressive motion.
84. We note that the Earth’s orbital revolution around the “divine central magnet” (presumably the Sun) involves the “recognition” by the Planetary Logos of that magnet. An act of consciousness is involved.
This brings it under the constant impression of other schemes, each of which produces effects upon the planet.
85. This is astrological influence, and with the outer fringe of this influence we are somewhat familiar.
86. Other planetary schemes are also in process of revolution and the influences of these revolving schemes are in constant interplay with the revolving Earth—which also shares its influence with them.
87. One can imagine what would be the effect of Earth upon those who live on other planets. They would have “Earth” in their horoscope. Would they look upon it as a beneficent or maleficent influence?
It likewise brings it under the inflowing streams of energy from what are termed the zodiacal constellations which reach the planetary scheme via the great centre, the Sun.
88. This line of influence must never be forgotten. The zodiacal constellations do not influence the Earth directly but through the mediatorship of the Sun. This format is well-represented by the double-diamond figures in Esoteric Astrology (p. 610)
It will be apparent to any student [Page 1057] who has even slightly developed the power of visualisation, and has some realisation of the force currents of the solar system, that all can be regarded as the swirling tide of intermingling currents, with numerous focal points of energy demonstrating here and there, yet in no way static as to location.
89. Obviously, all planets are in motion as is the Sun around which they revolve. The zodiacal constellations are also in motion as are greater and lesser constellations influencing the Earth. All these are the moving “focal points of energy”.
90. This is an excellent phrase: “a swirling tide of intermingling currents”.
The third activity of the planetary atom is that which carries it through space along with the entire solar system, and which embodies its "drift" or inclination towards the systemic orbit in the heavens.
91. This is the motion of progress onward inducing spiral activity.
92. Our solar system is revolving around another and greater center. It is this greater center which magnetically induces the progress onward of our solar system, though that greater center, itself, must be assumed to be orbiting a still greater center in the heavens.
93. The words used are perhaps, ambiguous, but there is a kind of ecliptic for the entire solar system at it revolves around its "central energetic positive unit" or “divine central magnet”. The axis of our Earth is geometrically related to (or inclined in relation to) this greater ecliptic (just as it is geometrically related to and inclined to our own ecliptic). We are speaking of the inclination of the Earth’s axis to an ecliptic greater than the ecliptic seen as the ‘circle’ described by our Earth as it orbits our Sun.
94. We must at this point remember the five types of motion described in the previous commentary:
a. Rotary Motion
b. Cyclic Motion
c. Spiral-cyclic Motion
d. Spiral Motion
e. The Motion of “Progress Onwards”.
95. We must deduce that motion, which is apparently forward and progressive, may be from as greater point of view, orbital or cyclic motion—accompanied by inevitable spirals as the greater center moves forward through space—albeit orbitally.
The solar atom must be considered as pursuing analogous lines of activity and as paralleling on a vast scale the evolution of the planetary atom.
96. The analogy is inevitable, and it must continue with regard to still greater atoms.
The entire solar sphere, the logoic ring-pass-not, rotates upon its axis, and thus all that is included within the sphere is carried in a circular manner through the Heavens.
97. What is the axial inclination of the solar sphere with respect to its orbital path? This will not be only of interest but of great moment.
The Sun's axis tilts almost 7.5 degrees out of perpendicular to Earth's orbital plane. (The orbital plane of Earth is commonly called the ecliptic.) Therefore, as we orbit the Sun, there's one day out of the year when the Sun's North Pole tips most toward Earth. This happens at the end of the first week in September. Six months later, at the end of the first week in March, it's the Sun's South Pole that tilts maximally towards Earth. (idialstars.com/fipl.htm).
98. Of course, we have to ascertain that "central energetic positive unit" around which the entire solar sphere revolves. In some of the Teaching it is said to be the Pleiades and more specifically Alcyone.
99. But here we are still speaking specifically of rotation and not of revolution.
The exact figures of the cycle which covers the vast rotation must remain as yet esoteric, but it may be stated that it approximates one hundred thousand years,
100. In other words, permission is given to state that this cycle approximates 100,000 years.
101. We see that when we are given large even numbers for great cycles, the truth may be quite different.
102. Even numbers are satisfying to the simplifying tendency of the mind, and indeed some of the great cycles may turn out to be accurately represented by even numbers. In this case, 100,000 is only an approximation.
being, as might be supposed, controlled by the energy of the first aspect, and therefore of the first Ray.
103. All cycles of 1, 10, 100, 1000, 10,000, 100,000, 1,000,000 years, etc. are controlled by the energy of the first aspect and the “first Ray”
104. Can this be said of the rotation of other solar spheres? Will they come under the control of the first ray, or will the cycle of their rotation come under other numbers? We cannot necessarily measure the motions of other planets in terms of the Earth-year, yet of course we do.
105. We should not imagine that when men on other planets reckon with the orbital year of their planet, they express its duration in terms of Earth years. Perhaps the numbers 1, 10, 100, 1000 etc, embrace for them, entirely different spans.
106. Many are the mysteries to be revealed as we study the macrocosm.
This of itself is sufficient to account for varying and diverse influences which may be traced over vast periods by those with the "seeing eye," for it causes a turning of varying parts of the sphere to the differing zodiacal constellations.
107. Again we have the opportunity for ‘incremental absorption’.
108. We can hardly conceive as the solar sphere as being in the ‘exact middle’ of a zodiacal circle, but it is sufficiently ‘centered’ to make the influence of all zodiacal constellations cyclically available.
109. At what point do we find ourselves in this 100,000 rotation—each phase of which lasts, we may presume, approximately 8333 years? Of course, observing the principle of overlap, which is often about twenty percent, may we conceive of each of the twelve periods as being 10,000 years in duration? Twenty percent of 8333 is 1666, indicating overlap period of approximately 800 + years on either side of an zodiacal period of influence. All this indicates that many years in the 100,000 year cycle are characterized by the mixed energy of two signs—one waxing and the other waning.
110. The influences of the constellations of the zodiac are perhaps double. There can be the influence caused by the rotation of the solar sphere solar sphere on its axis and this would be a short cycle analogous to the Earth’s diurnal cycle.
111. There would also be much longer cycles related to the revolution of the solar sphere around its orbit—assuming the Pleiades as the "central energetic positive unit". Does this cycle last 250,000 as we are taught in the Ageless Wisdom? If so, the ratio of the rotational cycle to the revolutional cycle is very large compared with the ratio of Earth’s rotational and revolutional cycles.
112. There is also another type of cycle which we might called ‘solar precession’. If there is in our solar sphere an analogue to the Earth’s vernal equinox, we would expect that solar vernal equinox to orient itself towards a particular zodiacal for a very long time. If we take the analogy from the same type of relationship found between the duration of a zodiacal sign on Earth and the duration of a precessional age, we would have one month versus 2500 years, or 1 yr/30,000 yrs.
113. We are in no way warranted to make this type of calculation, but some idea of the magnitude could be presented by such speculations, IF the 100,000 year rotational period of the solar sphere has nothing to do with the precession of the Sun’s equinoctial points.
114. Continuing, then, with this theory, if 8333 represents the period of zodiacal exposure for one constellation during a ‘solar spheric day’, then 8333 x 30,000 would represent one solar precessional age. The figure, more for speculative interest than accuracy, would be 249,990,000 years!
115. To grasp a Great ‘Platonic’ Solar Year, we would multiply this figure by 12, with the result of 2,999,880,000 years for one complete gyration of the solar sphere on its axis. This figure, however, could be dramatically incorrect as I attempt to show below.
116. Really, however, too little is known for us to place any real value on these figures. We already saw how the ratio of rotation to revolution for the solar sphere is much larger than the same ratio for the Earth’s day in relation to the Earth’s year created by one revolution around Sun. So perhaps one just cannot generalize from figures related to the Earth to figures to be related to the entire solar sphere. After all, why not generalize from other planetary ratios? Why choose the Earth? Maybe there is one planet above all others which has the closest analogous relationship to the Sun—a planet, the precessional age and great precessional age of which give a better method of calculating Sun’s twelve precessional ages and grand precessional age. Could such a planet be Jupiter?
117. Still, at least some idea may be offered of an immensity of time involved in such cycles as a ‘solar hour’ (doubled), a ‘solar month’, a ‘solar year’, or a ‘solar precessional cycle’, or a completed ‘solar precessional cycle’—the analog to the Platonic Year on Earth.
118. The very large figures indicated may have one outstanding flaw. It is possible that the 100,000 period is caused by a complete gyration of the axis of the Sun. If this is the case, DK has given us the approximate duration of a completed ‘great solar precessional cycle’ composed of twelve ‘lesser solar precessional cycles’ each consisting of 8333 years or 10,000 years, approximately, if overlap periods are included.
119. In connection with these figures, we must remember that the rotational period of the Sun per se, and not of the entire solar sphere, is 25.38 Days, thus the influence of each zodiacal constellation upon the Sun, per se, would be about two days.
120. The Sun’s revolution around the galactic center is said to be about 225,000,000 to 250,000,000 Earth years, but while revolving around the galactic center the Sun may be involved in a number of lesser revolutions. Occultism speaks directly of one such cycle lasting 250,000 years—the revolution of our solar system around the Pleiades.
This influence (in connection with the planets) is increased or mitigated according to the place of the planets on their various orbital paths.
121. This, in a way, is a peculiar statement, because during a solar hour (or double hour) the planets complete very many orbits around the Sun.
122. We are speaking of the influence of a zodiacal constellation during a solar double hour lasting about 8333 years—if all is even. (Or, of 100,000 years represents a ‘greater Solar Precessional Age’ then the 8333 years is one twelfth of such a greater Age). Yet, in such a time, the planets in their orbital paths would have ‘circled’ the Sun many, many times. So during such a solar ‘double hour’ there would no one place for any planet in its own orbital path.
123. Maybe more is implied than we can fathom.
124. If we divide the 8333 years of a solar ‘double hour’ so that the division are truly small, then the influence from any zodiacal constellation during this double hour could be meaningfully applied to particular planets in their orbital path.
Hence the immense complexity of the matter and the impossibility for the average astronomical and astrological student to make accurate computations or to draw accurate horoscopes.
125. With this assertion, we will simply have to agree. The complexity is staggering, and there is no firm basis from which to calculate—only the approximative figures 100,000 years and 250,000 years.
126. We note that we are not only dealing with astronomical calculations but with the possibility of drawing up astrological charts which would have planetary and solar significance. This is impossible for us, as even the so-called “horoscope of the planet” is beyond our reach.
Within the Hall of Wisdom, there exists a department of which the modern varying astrological organisations are but the dim and uncertain reflections.
127. This would seem to be a third ray department. One would presume that only very advanced initiates could know something about these calculations.
128. For us, a tantalizing prospect is presented and we can work in the direction of greater clarity, but we cannot yet expect to arrive at accurate calculation.
The Adepts connected with it work not with humanity but concern Themselves specifically with "casting the horoscopes" (thus [Page 1058] ascertaining the nature of the work immediately to be done) of the various great lives who inform the globes and kingdoms of nature,
129. This type of astrology lies far beyond that which is focussed upon the individual human unit. The ‘Individuals” involved are Globe-Lords and Lords of the Various Kingdoms. One then wonders about the astrology for Chain-Lords and, naturally, for the Planetary Logoi Themselves. We see how many steps separate the initiate astrologer from casting the horoscope of the Solar Lord—the Solar Logos.
130. We sometimes hear of the process of ‘casting the planetary horoscope’, but from what is said here, could such a horoscope actually be the horoscope of the Globe Lord of our Earth-globe? This should be pondered.
with ascertaining the nature of the karmic influences working out in the manifestation of three of the planetary Logoi:
131. Not all Planetary Logoi can be understood, even in the limited sense suggested.
1. Our own planetary Logos.
2. The planetary Logos of our polar opposite.
132. We assume this to be the Planetary Logos of Venus.
3. The planetary Logos of the scheme which makes with the two above mentioned a planetary triangle.
133. We assume this to be the Planetary Logos of the planet Mars. There are other possibilities, but DK already mentioned the importance of the planet closest to us on the side of the Sun and the planet closest to us in the direction away from the Sun.
Beyond that, They may not go.
134. The high initiate astrologers within Hierarchy may not do more than attempt to ascertain the nature of the karmic influences working out on Earth, Venus and Mars.
135. Presumably these influences would be most important in relation to the karma of Earth.
136. We are not, it seems, speaking of the possibility of casting the horoscope for the Planetary Logos of a scheme.
They progress these various horoscopes for the next stated cycle, and Their records are of profound and significant interest.
137. This type of study lies ahead of the true esoteric astrologer. It will be millenia before he will develop this ability—in most cases, one would presume.
138. We think of the Divine Plan and the astronomy and astrology which reveal it. These great Initiates know what time it is, relative to our solar sphere, our Planetary Logos and two adjoining Planetary Logoi. In this way they come close to knowing the Will of the Solar Logos with regard to these planets during any particular cycle.
139. Notice how astrological progressions are used on this very lofty level. Progressions reveal something most mysterious about the nature of time in cosmos. If one Earth day is, in secondary progressions equal to one year of time, then one solar day may be equivalent to one solar year (which can be understood as one revolution of our solar system around the Pleiades).
140. Shall we call a solar day a period of 25.38 Earth days? This is reasonable.
141. It is very interesting that the ration of a solar day to an earth day is approximately 25/1. The figure 25 (according to rayologist Stephen Pugh) is the number representing the cycles of the fourth ray. Our Sun is a star of the fourth order and our Earth, the fourth major planet from the Sun (if Vulcan is included) is closely associated with the number four. The symbol of our planet includes a centralized cross.
142. Of course, the rotation of the solar sphere lasting some 100,000 could be considered a solar ‘day’. We should not venture so far until we know whether that 100,000 period relates in any way to the gyration of the Sun’s axis.
I would conjure students here to refrain from attempting (in years to come) to form cyclic computations of any kind,
143. It appears that some of us have already violated this conjuration! The only value of such “cyclic computations” is to indicate the manner in which they might or might not be undertaken. If they do nothing more, they will reveal how dangerous it is to compute any cycles of this nature supported by so little accurate knowledge!!!
for as yet the many constellations which exist only in physical matter of an etheric nature are unknown and unseen.
144. These will also have their influences during a 100,000 rotation of the solar sphere and will come into prominence during certain of the twelve phases correlated with orientation towards one of the twelve zodiacal signs.
145. Perhaps, as well, they do not at all lie in the plane of the ecliptic, but introduce their influences ‘from other angles’.
146. We are being given the merest indication of a type of astronomy/astrology which is more for the fifth round than for our own. Still we may set our intention to journey in the direction of its comprehension.
Yet they are potent in influence and until etheric vision is developed, all calculations will be full of error.
147. And there are etheric planets as well, which must be factored into any computation.
148. DK is inducing in us a much needed sense of humility in the face of staggering cyclic complexity. We might hope to achieve much accuracy about these cycles in a short time, but it is the part of wisdom to be patient until we know more.
149. Perhaps our various calculations will reveal to us just how much we do not know!
It suffices for man as yet to master his own dharma, to fulfil group karma, and to dominate what is called "his stars."
150. DK brings the subject down to something far more manageable. We have to know our dharma or purpose. We have to balance our relationships with the groups with whom our lot may be cast. We have to dominate the planetary influences which impel us in the direction of personality fulfillment. All this, in itself, is a tall order.
Like the planetary atom, the solar atom not only rotates on its axis but likewise spirals in a cyclic fashion through the Heavens.
151. As we have been suggesting.
This is a different activity to the drift or progressive dynamic motion through the Heavens.
152. The term “drift” if it is to suggest “progressive dynamic motion” is then to be correlated with the first ray.
153. The word “dynamic” is almost always used with a first ray connotation.
It deals with the revolution of our Sun around a central point
154. This type of revolutional movement of the Sun is to be correlated with the second ray.
155. We remember that DK when speaking of the first ray type said: “for you there must be not a circle but a line”. The circle suggests the second ray and the line, the first.
The Great Bear. The Pleiades. The Sun Sirius.and with its relation to the three constellations so oft referred to in this Treatise:
156. When it comes to the orbital revolution of our Sun and other associated starry systems, the Pleiades may well represent the “Hub of the Wheel”.
These three groups of solar bodies are of paramount influence where the spiral cyclic activity of our system is concerned.
157. We may judge such activity to be revolutional. The “drift” however, must somehow be involved or there would be no spiralling motion.
158. We note here an important implication: whatever Sirius is, it is more a “group” than an isolated star.
159. This takes us to a consideration of what may be called the “Sirian System”.
Just as in the human atom the spiral cyclic [Page 1059] activity is egoic and controlled from the egoic body,
160. This statement references reincarnation as a spiral-cyclic activity.
so in connection with the solar system these three groups are related to the logoic Spiritual Triad, atma-buddhi-manas,
161. The exact correspondences here are not always a foregone conclusion. We can relate the Great Bear to atma convincingly enough, but cosmic buddhi is mediated via the Pleiades (TCF 1162) and much of manas comes to our Solar Logos via Sirius or the Sirian System.
and their influence is dominant in connection with solar incarnation, with solar evolution, and with solar progress.
162. This is why they are called the “Three Great Constellations”—“Great” in relation to our solar system.
163. Note here the implication that the true Ego of the Solar Logos is its Spiritual Triad, as is the case for man.
Further, it must be added that the third type of motion to which our system is subjected, that of progress onward, is the result of the united activity of the seven constellations (our solar system forming one of the seven) which form the seven centres of the cosmic Logos.
164. This starry system consisting of such stars as Sirius, Procyon, Alpha and Beta Centauri, and others still in process of ascertainment, may be judged to move together, taking our Solar Logos and His system along their ‘straight path’—which after all may be proved to be orbital from a larger perspective.
165. We see clearly that a Cosmic Logos has seven major Suns and not seven major Constellations as its chakras. The kind of Being Who has constellations for its chakras can be denoted as a ‘Super-Constellational Logos’ or ‘Super-Cosmic Logos’.
166. And yet, the use of the word “constellations” is an occult blind often utilized by DK to blur the distinction between solar systems and constellations. In other contexts the words “solar systems” may, in fact, mean constellations.
167. It is clear that the term “Cosmic Logos” indicates a being one step ‘above’ a Solar Logos, and, generally, does not mean a Logos Who has constellations for His chakras.
This united activity produces a uniform and steady push (if it might so be expressed) toward a point in the heavens unknown as yet to even the planetary Logoi.
168. The implication is that the Solar Logos does know, while the Planetary Logoi do not. Thus, we, man, should not presume to know, even though it has been surmised that, temporarily at least, the push is towards the star Vega and later towards the constellation Hercules.
169. Though moving along apparently in a “drift” which can be called “progress onward” at no time does our Solar Logos (with His system) abandon His designated orbital path.
170. Does this suggest that in our total Universe no motion is ever truly ‘straight-line’ motion, but is always orbital? There is much to recommend this thought.
The confines of the Heavens Themselves are illimitable and utterly unknown.
171. This raises the question of whether the Universe is finite or infinite. Certainly its confines are unknown, but are there limits? This is a deep philosophical question which ties in with the question of whether an infinite Universe can be also periodical.
Naught but the wildest speculation is possible to the tiny finite minds of men and it profits us not to consider the question.
172. Guilty again, some of us might say, yet hopefully learning thereby.
173. Again, it is the part of wisdom to reserve judgement on these great matters. It is sufficient, perhaps, to know we are part of an immensity which is as beautiful as it is immense, and that the unfolding years will see us understanding more and more of it until, at length, identified as the Universal Logos, we understand the present vast ‘Entirety’.
Go out on some clear starlit night and seek to realise that in the many thousands of suns and constellations visible to the unaided eye of man, and in the tens of millions which the modern telescope reveals
174. Tens and hundreds of billions now…
there is seen the physical manifestation of as many millions of intelligent existences;
175. Glorious thought! Humbling and uplifting at once!
this infers that what is visible is simply those existences who are in incarnation.
176. Now come further staggering thoughts. The only stars we see represent the stellar Logoi who are in incarnation.
But only one-seventh of the possible appearances are incarnating. Six-sevenths are out of incarnation,
177. If we begin to apply these figures to that monadic ‘star’ known as man, we may find some answers regarding how many human Monads are actually, presently in incarnation in our solar system. We will also find some insoluble enigmas.
178. We have been told that there are sixty billion human Monads in our solar system. If there are human beings (of whatever form) on all the other planets, this is a very small number. Can it be that the sixty billion represent only those which are in incarnation at any one time and that the truer figure is 420 billion?
179. If we have six billion human beings actually in incarnation on our little globe (not to mention the other globes of our planetary scheme) then 42 billion human beings must exist on our planet if, indeed, “six-sevenths are out of incarnation”. If only sixty billion Monads exist in our entire solar system, there are only eighteen billion to be distributed (both in incarnation and out of incarnation) amongst all the other planets (all of which have human units). Clearly this is not possible, so something is missing in our calculations or there is an occult blind which has not be penetrated.
waiting their turn to manifest, and holding back from incarnation until,
180. As the Law of Cycles must be observed…
in the turning of the great wheel, suitable and better conditions may eventuate.
181. However many stars and their Lives are revealed by modern methods, according to Master DK, six-sevenths more are unrevealed, because our telescopes, no matter how advanced, reveal but stars in dense physical form, though some have said the revelation extends to the lowest ether.
182. Is the Sun truly a ball of incandescent “gas” or is a higher type of matter (plasma) visible to us through its radiance?
Realise further that the bodies of all these sentient intelligent cosmic, solar and planetary Logoi are constituted of living sentient beings, and the brain reels,
183. The number of B/beings revealed to us multiplies immensely.
184. We note that Master DK said “the brain reels”. There may be other faculties within man which would reel less, though still reel!
and the mind draws back in dismay before such a staggering concept. Yet so it is, and so all moves forward to some unfathomable and magnificent consummation
185. This will be the consummation of Universal Purpose.
which will only in part begin to be visioned by us when our consciousness [Page 1060] has expanded beyond the cosmic physical plane,
186. In other words, once we have become Initiates of the ninth degree…At least at that time we will be completely free of the cosmic physical plane, though perhaps when we have achieved the seventh or eighth degrees our consciousness may be receptive to energies which originate on the cosmic astral plane.
and beyond the cosmic astral until it can "conceive and think" upon the cosmic mental plane.
187. Yet even the ninth degree is not sufficient, for all of cosmic astral evolution lies before us and much of cosmic mental evolution before we can understand even a tiny bit of that which is to be the Universal Consummation.
188. Yet, stagger though we must, there is something immensely inspiring about the prospect and inevitable destiny.
That supposes a realisation beyond that of the Buddhas who have the consciousness of the cosmic physical plane, and beyond that of the planetary Logoi.
189. Yes, let us remind ourselves that even the Planetary Logoi cannot conceive the true nature of this Universal Destiny.
It is the consciousness and knowledge of a solar Logos.
190. And if our Solar Logoi is to some Great Lives as a crystal is to the life of man, then does He truly know the Universal Destiny as it is?
The Chohans of high degree know the forty-nine sounds which give the quality of the consciousness aspect of these great Beings Who are as far removed from the consciousness of our solar Logos as the consciousness of man is removed from that of a crystal. (TCF 1085-1086)
To the occult student, who has developed the power of the inner vision, the vault of Heaven can therefore be seen as a blazing fire of light, and the stars as focal points of flame from which radiate streams of dynamic energy.
191. Let us attempt to enter this vision the next time we are out under the “vault of Heaven”. Our consciousness could change entirely.
Darkness is light to the illumined Seer,
192. The darkness in so-called “space” is filled with streams of light.
and the secret of the Heavens can be read and expressed in terms of force currents, energy centres, and dynamic fiery systemic peripheries.
193. This is the vision which we must cultivate.
194. As for “dynamic fiery systemic peripheries” DK seems to be speaking of fiery wheels in rotation—thus dynamic.