Fellowship of Cosmic Fire
Commentary Semester VIII Section I
TCF 925 - 936: S8S1
15 – 29 October 2008
(Most of the Tibetan’s text is put in font 16, to provide better legibility when projected during classes. Footnotes and references from other AAB Books and from other pages of TCF are put in font 14. Commentary appears in font 12. Underlining, Bolding and Highlighting by MDR)
It is suggested that this Commentary be read with the TCF book handy, for the sake of continuity. As analysis of the text is pursued, many paragraphs are divided, and the compact presentation in the book, itself, will convey the overall meaning of the paragraph. So please read an entire paragraph and then study the Commentary
1. We have been studying the devas of the ethers. Now we look closely at the etheric constitution of the microcosm and how these devas may affect the etheric part of that constitution.
The Devas of the Etheric Double. The subject that we are to deal with now concerns those devas who are etheric doubles of all that is.
2. We have been studying the "Transmitters of the Word" and the “Transmitters of Prana”—the first two of three major types of devas which have been under discussion in the foregoing pages.
3. We now begin a study of a lower form of deva—the “devas who are etheric doubles of all that is”. DK has also described them as follows:
those devas who form the etheric bodies of every form in manifestation. These constitute the bulk of the lesser devas. (TCF 915)
It is full of profit therefore to the wise student, for it reveals the method whereby all forms materialise upon the physical plane.
4. This is the magical process.
5. The Aquarian Age will be an Age of scientific magic. Knowledge of the lesser devas (by whatever name science may call them) will be necessary.
It is not the purpose of this treatise to trace the materialisation of a form as it originates upon the archetypal planes, through the agency of divine thought, and from thence (through directed streams of intelligent energy) acquires substance as it is reproduced upon each plane, until eventually (upon the physical plane) the form stands revealed at its densest point of manifestation.
6. DK has just described the entire magical process. Note the descending subtle form is reproduced on each lower plane and acquire substance on each of those planes.
7. The book, A Treatise on White Magic, goes a long way to trace this descent and materialization, but in that book, the descent is not traced from the “archetypal planes” but only from the plane of soul.
No form is as yet perfect, and it is this fact which necessitates cyclic evolution,
8. Through cyclic evolution new opportunities are offered for the improvement of the form. Saturn (the major third ray planet) governs rotary motion. Saturn is also the “god of opportunity”—cycles of opportunity.
9. DK is saying that cyclic evolution leads, eventually, the perfection of form.
and the continual production of forms until they approximate reality in fact and in deed.
10. All forms are approximations to an intended archetype. Nature proceeds through repetition, through cyclic opportunity, to produce ever more faithful approximations of that intended archetype.
11. This naturally involves the birth, growth, expression, decline and death of forms.
The method of form production may be tabulated as follows: [Page 926]
1. Divine thought...The cosmic mental plane.
12. When the word “Divine” is used in this context, it indicates the life and process of the Solar Logos.
13. The Solar Logos as a Divine Thinker is increasingly focussed on the cosmic mental plane—the plane whereon He is seeking polarization.
14. We see that when DK was speaking of “archetypal planes”, He was not limiting himself to the cosmic physical plane.
2. Divine desire.....The cosmic astral plane.
15. On this plane is found the astral body of the Solar Logos.
3. Divine activity....The cosmic physical plane (our seven systemic planes).
16. This is really the only plane which concerns us directly and upon this plane that we (at this time) call “spiritual development” proceeds.
17. Usually the term “divine” relates to the Spirit/Monad. In this context we see that DK elevates the meaning to embrace cosmic Beings such as the Planetary Logos and Solar Logos.
The logoic Breath...First plane...The Sound85 A.
18. The letter “A” is associated with the first aspect, the “Father” aspect.
19. The first aspect is associated with that which underlies the Sound—namely the Breath. Unless there is a flow of Breath, there will be no sound.
20. We often read of the great “Sound” into which all other sounds are absorbed. Usually this Sound is named as the “O”, the sound, from one perspective, of the monadic plane. The “O” suggests a combination of the first and second rays.
21. A Sound even more fundamental than the “O” is the “A”. The “O” has already moved towards a ‘rounding’ promoted by second aspect. The “A” represents the uncompromised first aspect.
Footnote 85: Mantric Sounds.
A mantram is a combination of sounds, of words and of phrases that, through virtue of certain rhythmic effects, achieve results that would not be possible apart from them.
22. While rhythm is definitely important, it would seem that the combination of sounds, words and phrases are of paramount importance (when intoned or chanted in the proper rhythm).
23. The second, third and seventh rays are peculiarly related to the creation, enunciation and effects of mantrams.
The most sacred of all the Eastern
mantrams given out as yet to the public is the one embodied in the words: "
24. The literal meaning of this venerable mantram has been translated as “Hail, oh Jewel in the Lotus”.
25. The mantram has four words and seven effects or results—one result, presumably, for each of the seven planes on which it can be sounded.
26. We can understand that its use will lead towards the fourth initiation.
27. Further, it stands as an invocation to the Monad, which is the true Jewel in the Lotus.
28. The potency of this mantram is esoteric and no casual scholar can hope to penetrate its inner meaning, which can only be determined through correct use.
There are various mantric forms, based upon this formula and upon the Sacred Word, which, sounded rhythmically and in different keys, accomplish certain desired ends,
29. The “formula” is the “
30. Much may also depend upon which of the words is emphasized.
31. As well, some words can be sustained longer than others, and this can create diverse effects.
32. There are within the Vedic tradition certain meters or rhythms which may be applied to the necessary rhythmic sounding of the Sacred Word.
33. There are seven prominent keys in the normal music scale. Each of these keys is to be associated with a different ray or rays, planet or planets , zodiacal sign or signs and plane or planes.. It would seem that when sounding the mantrams or the Sacred Word on different planes, the key associated with a particular plane would be used.
such as the invoking of protective angels or devas, and definite work, either constructive or destructive upon the planes.
34. We see that mantra are used in angelic invocation. Angels, too, are called “keys” and certain musical keys will be associated with certain angels or devas.
35. Certain mantric forms infallibly invoke certain angels or devas who must, according the law, obey the invocatory summons.
36. We note that mantra can be constructive or destructive. One senses that the rhythm and emphasis of delivery will related to constructive or destructive effect.
37. There are so many possible combinations that (presently, at least) the only safe and effective way to enter into Mantra Yoga is through aural instruction from some truly qualified teacher. Ignorant experimentation is clearly dangerous.
The potency of a mantram depends upon the point in evolution of the man who employs it.
38. This may be for some an unexpected statement.
39. Obviously, the one who utters is coming into interactive relationship with the mantram he utters.
40. We are familiar with lesser examples of the same great principle. Suppose certain famous lines in a Shakespearian tragedy are uttered by an accomplished actor or by an average individual. What will be the difference? What will be the difference in the effect upon the listeners? What will be evoked from them? Perhaps the actor will ‘move’ us deeply. Perhaps the ordinary individual will speak his lines in such a way as to “leave us cold”—ordinary, unenlightened declamation carrying no invocatory potency.
Uttered by an ordinary man it serves to stimulate the good within his bodies, to protect him, and it will also prove of beneficent influence upon his environment. Uttered by an adept or initiate its possibilities for good are infinite and far-reaching.
41. We gather that all authentic and truly constructive mantrams are good in their effect when uttered. A beneficent result will occur whether uttered by one who is ordinary or one who is an initiate or adepts. It is in the degree of the beneficence that the real difference is to be seen.
Mantrams are of many kinds, and generally speaking might be enumerated as follows:
42. We are entering, only very slightly, into one of the greatest of all the ancient sciences—the Science of Mantra Yoga.
1. Some very esoteric mantrams, existing in the original Sensa, in the custody of the Great White Lodge.
43. Here is the definition of Sensa or Senzar as found in IHS.:
Sensa, or Senzar. The name for the secret sacerdotal language, or the "mystery speech" of the initiated adepts all over the world. It is a universal language, and largely a hieroglyphic cypher. (IHS 224)
44. The following is also fascinating:
There are a few very esoteric mantrams that exist in the original Sensa, and that have remained in the knowledge of the Brotherhood from the early days of the founding of the Hierarchy. They were brought by the Lords of Flame when They came to earth and are only thirty-five in number. (LOM 163)
45. This language is older than the coming of the Lords of the Flame more than twenty-one millions years ago.
46. From this perspective, we may think of Sensa as related to Venus (i.e., to the Venus chain of the Earth-scheme and, perhaps, to the planet Venus, itself, since the origin of the Lords of the Flame is proximately Venusian.
47. For all its ancient age, there is a peculiar statement about Senzar (assuming that it is the same language as Sensa) which suggests that certain of the Atlantean languages may be even older:
This is a faint effort to express in English these ancient Atlantean phrases, older than Sanskrit or Senzar, and known only to a mere handful of the members of the present hierarchy. (TWM 547-548)
2. Some Sanskrit mantrams employed by initiates and adepts.
48. Sanskrit is a language pertaining to the fifth rootrace and is obviously a more recent language than Sensa.
49. We note that one need not necessary be a Master of the Wisdom in order to employ such mantrams.
3. Mantrams connected with the different rays.
50. These are mantrams, we may presume, that are uttered in original form and potency by the Ray Lords, and have been transformed and adapted for the use of highly evolved human beings attuned to the rays.
51. We can being to intuit the lawfulness of the creative process. True creativity occurs under divine law.
4. Mantrams used in healing.
52. In His book, Esoteric Healing DK has said nothing about these mantrams, but one can understand that their proper use would certainly augment the efficacy of the healer who had learned to abide by the Laws and Rules of healing.
5. Mantrams used in the departments of either the Manu, the Bodhisattva, or the Mahachohan.
53. These are not specifically ray mantrams, but rather, ‘Departmental Mantrams”. They must be connected with the three great aspects of divinity, and must bring about the results intended by the Heads of those departments.
6. Mantrams used in connection with the devas and the elemental kingdoms.
54. When people study what they usually call “magic”, it is these kinds of mantrams which they seek to learn and to use.
55. These mantrams cannot be safely used unless the would-be magician has purified himself greatly and has established firm self-control (i.e., control of his lunar vehicles which are so easily influenced in a potentially negative manner by the lower devas and elementals). As well, the inner or seeing single eye should have been opened so that he can ‘see’ the results of the mantrams he uses.
7. Special mantrams connected with fire.
56. Master M. speaks of certain rhythms of fire—“Mahavan” and “Chotovan”. Perhaps these rhythms will be connected to the manner in which these fire mantrams are pronounced.
Mahavan and Chotavan are the most characteristic rhythms of Fire. Possessing these rhythms one can easily approach the element of fire. This is not a coercive invocation, but only the conscious entrance into the sphere the meaning of which you consider essential. One must understand rhythms, for how else do we bring convincingness to actions? Even the half-dead sand arranges itself into special designs in response to vibration. To how much greater an extent is man influenced by rhythm! Not sorcery but knowledge will give man the way to transfiguration; an undelayable way, because thus was humanity urged during the days of the end of Atlantis. (Agni Yoga 357)
mantrams depend for their potency upon the sound and rhythm and upon the
syllabic emphasis imparted to them when enunciating and intoning. They depend too upon the capacity of the man
who uses them to visualise and to will the desired effect.
57. Let us tabulate those factors which determine the potency of these various mantrams:
a. Their potency is dependent upon the sound used
b. Their potency is dependent upon the rhythm with which they are pronounced
c. Their potency is dependent upon the syllabic emphasis imparted to them when enunciating or intoning
d. Their potency is dependent upon the capacity of the user to visualize the desired effect
e. Their potency is dependent upon the capacity of the user to will the desired effect
58. Here ends the lengthy footnote on mantrams.
59. We reinsert the statement which belongs to the text immediately below:
The logoic Breath...First plane...The Sound85 A.
This is the first etheric appearance of a solar system upon the atomic subplane of the cosmic physical plane.
60. The systemic logoic plane is the first or atomic ether of the four cosmic ethers.
61. Whatever can be said here about a solar system can be said of man the microcosm.
The seeds of life are all latent. Faculty inheres from an earlier solar essence.
62. We are dealing with the stage of seed. All is latent and potential. Potential has not yet been unfolded.
63. “An earlier solar essence” suggest quality which has been retained from an earlier solar system.
64. The note FA relates the “F” of the previous solar system to the “A” which will characterize the next. The third ray and, to an extent, the first ray are related as the foundation of this solar system for FA is the foundational note of our present solar system. Three and one are always related.
65. An earlier solar essence is related to what is called the “Primary Ray” as distinct from the “Divine Ray”—the second ray.
The logoic Sound...Second plane...The
66. First the Breath and then the Sound. Even though that which occurs upon the plane Adi is called the “Logoic Breath”, it still has a sound associated with it. It would seem that any vibration has its tonal correspondence.
67. In this sevenfold sequence, that which occurs on every one of the systemic planes has a sound associated with it.
68. If plane one features the ‘Breath of Fire’ within the “Sea of Fire”, plane two, the monadic plane, is that upon which the sevenfold monadic Sound is sounding.
69. We are given a combination of the Sound of the Father “A” and the ‘Sound of the Son”, “U”.
70. The “A U” is a twofold sound and correlates with the second ray. The numerology of AU is 22 or 1 + 21. The 22 suggests the soul and personality rays of our Solar Logos and is, we well recognize, a master number.
71. “He who hath seen Me hath seen the Father”.
72. The letter “U” suggests the ‘Divine Pilgrimage’ and also the Second Outpouring. It symbolizes a descent and a return.
73. The “U” is, in a way, an incomplete “O”. The arch upon the “U” is missing. Perhaps that is conferred later, upon the return of the Monad to his ‘H-O-me’.
74. The “U” also suggests the chalice of receptivity which correlates with the second ray and second plane.
75. We note that in the descent from the logoic plane, the “A” is retained upon the first three planes. The Father remains within the Son and within the Holy Spirit. The atmic plane can be seen as the origin of the Holy Spirit. From this perspective, it is the buddhic plane which correlates with the Mother—the fourth who is, in a way, the third.
76. Interestingly the “U” is the 21st letter of the English Alphabet and so repeats within itself, the idea of the union of the 2 and the 1 which is suggested by the union of the Father letter, “A” and a letter suggestive of the Son, “U”. The monadic plane represents the union of the Father and the Son.
77. The “U”, interestingly, is also a Saturnian note, for Saturn suggests ray three and in the system of vowel symbology originated by Rudolf Steiner, the constrained “U” is given to Saturn. We find a sevenfold constraint of pure Spirit upon the monadic plane, with the division into seven vibrational centers. (cf. TCF, Chart V, 344) It is easy to relate Saturn to the number seven (as it rules the seventh systemic and even seventh cosmic plane).
78. From another perspective, the “U” suggests
This is the body of the solar system in the second ether. This plane is the archetypal plane.
80. The “U” suggests receptivity. The Mother is of the third and second aspects—the One Who hold third place but comes second in order. The Son is of the second and third aspects—the One Who holds second place but comes third in order.
81. The seven monadic Sounds are the seven embodiments which hold the archetype for the sevenfold solar system.
82. They are ‘vessels in sound’ for the ‘seed’ descending from the adic plane.
83. The monadic is justifiably called “the archetypal plane”, but that term is also assigned to the logoic plane and the buddhic plane in different references.
The seeds of [Page 927] life are vibrating or germinating.
84. They vibrate or germinate within the seven fields of formative sound.
The seven centres of energy are apparent.
85. The second plane of the solar system is also the seventh of the planes on which are to be found the twelve Creative Hierarchies. The number of this plane are 2, 7 and also 6. It is a Jupiterian plane (Jupiter, the planet signified by the rounded “O”.)
86. We see the seven centers of energy portrayed if we look at Chart V, on TCF, 344, but we have to look to the cosmic monadic plane rather than to the systemic monadic plane. Yet, "As Above So Below". We are justified in taking the structure we have on the cosmic monadic plane ‘down’ onto the systemic monadic plane.
87. The monadic plane is truly one of the most important archetypal planes, but the first or logoic plane is also called by that name.
The etheric body of man holds hid the secret of his objectivity. It has its correspondence on the archetypal plane,—the plane we call that of the divine manifestation, the first plane of our solar system, the plane Adi. (TCF 79)
88. Yet the following is also given:
What we call the archetypal plane in connection with the Logos (the plane whereon He forms His ideals, His aspirations and His abstract conceptions) is the logoic correspondence to the atomic abstract levels of the mental plane, from whence are initiated the impulses and purposes of the Spirit in man,—those purposes which eventually force him into an objective form, thus paralleling logoic manifestation. (TCF 397)
The one deva Agni is seen as seven. The form is now potentially perfect.
89. Determining the ‘location’ of that “one deva Agni” is elusive. Here are some areas of expression:
a. The cosmic lower mental plane and both the cosmic astral plane and cosmic physical plane as well. Agni, then is the Personality of the Solar Logos.
b. The Ruler of the “
Sea of Fire ” and in differentiated form, the Ruler of all the subplanes of the cosmic physical plane.
c. The Ruler of the systemic mental plane.
90. Upon the monadic plane the form is not yet perfect but only potentially so.
91. In His discussion of “the one deva Agni”, DK seems to hint that His initial focus is upon the logoic plane from whence He differentiates into seven.
92. This differentiation into seven relates the Solar Logos to the seven major Planetary Logoi (Who have their major focus upon the monadic plane rather than the logoic).
93. The ‘Sound Forms” on the systemic monadic plane are “potentially perfect”. They are archetypal forms and represent both the originative past and the destined future.
The logoic triple Word…The third plane…The Sound A U M.
94. Now the “M” of matter has been added. From one perspective, this is the letter for the Mother aspect, and yet the plane concerned is the plane of the Holy Spirit.
95. The Father is in the Son, and the Father and Son are in the Mother.
96. We began with the Logoic Breath on the logoic plane. We moved to the Logoic Sound on the monadic plane. On the third systemic plane we have the “logoic triple Word”. That Word is the A U M.
97. In many ways, this is the Word of the Holy Spirit. The third plane is the plane of Spiritual Will. It is, therefore, likely that we will have to connect the Spiritual Will with the Holy Spirit.
98. The following reference is of importance when summarizing the nature of the A, the U and the M:
a. The sacred sound A to Shiva, He Who embodies the spirit or will aspect. It is the Word through which God the Father works.
b. The sound U to Vishnu, God the Son. He is the form-builder and provides the body which the spirit must occupy, thereby making divine incarnation possible. A is the life sound, U is the form sound.
99. Remember, the second aspect creates form.
c. The sound M to Brahma, Who, in His work of Energy-provider, links in active intelligence, spirit and form, or the self and not-self. (IHS 153)
100. The next reference is also of tremendous importance demonstrating how the various kingdoms are created and sustained by sound in different combinations and intensities of combined sounds.
In connection with the first three kingdoms it may be of interest to note that they are based upon two sounds, the U sounded on the basic key tone of the M. In the fourth kingdom the M tone is dying down and the two notes sounded forth are the U and the A. In the fifth kingdom the M has subsided into a distant undertone, the U is blended with it so as to be indistinguishable, and the A, or Shiva note, is pealing forth in power, and is practically the only note heard. By the sounding of this note,—that of Shiva the Destroyer,—the not-self is negated, and all that is not of spirit passes into dissolution. It is the coming in of the A sound which affects the severance or liberation of the initiate from the three worlds.
The body of the solar system in substance of the third etheric plane is seen, and the three function as one.
101. The “body” of the solar system exists archetypally in sound on the second plane.
102. On the third plane this body becomes substantial.
103. This is the first plane of the Trinity—the “Three in One”. All three aspects (Shiva, Vishnu and Brahma) function simultaneously.
104. The astrological sign for this plane is Libra (the symbol of which is the triangle—an abstraction of the more concrete symbol of the Scales).
105. Relative to the first two systemic planes, the third plane is material or, better, substantial.
106. On the third plane we have entered the realm of Brahma, Whose number is five. The atmic plane is the crowning fifth plane in the realm of Brahma.
The triple energy of the Logos is co-ordinated,
107. Coordination is one of Libra’s chief functions.
108. This fifth, third or eighth plane (depending upon our point of departure when counting) is a plane of organization.
109. The Word A U M organizes form and provides a (relatively) material/substantial expression of that which is potential (potentially perfect) upon the monadic plane.
and nothing now can hinder the work of evolution.
110. The third aspect of the Will is the Will-to-Evolve. Due to developments upon the third plane, evolution can now go forward under this third aspect of the Will.
The three groups of devas are active, and the archetypal form is in process of materialization.
111. Great groups of devas are to be found on each of the higher three systemic planes.
112. We remember that "Transmitters of the Word" are found on each of these higher systemic planes. Yet here we speak of the “Breath”, the “Sound” and the “Word”.
113. The inference is that the “Word” transmitted comes from a higher dimension than the cosmic physical plane. Perhaps it is a “Word” sounding within the egoic nature of the Solar Logos upon the cosmic higher mental plane.
The logoic septenary word...The fourth plane...The seven syllabled Word. The logoic etheric Centres become active
114. The Word is threefold or triple upon the atmic plane and sevenfold upon the buddhic plane, the fourth systemic plane.
115. We may infer that the Word emerging on the atmic plane is three syllabled just as the buddhic Word is seven syllabled.
116. When thinking of how the seven syllabled Word is derived, we should remember the derivation of four Rays of Attribute from combinations of the three Rays of Aspect.
117. Are all logoic etheric centers to be found upon the buddhic plane. If we follow analogy from TCF Chart VIII, there is reason not to think so.
118. Perhaps, there are seven centers of force on the fourth cosmic ether, but there are, we would think, also logoic chakras on the atmic, monadic and logoic planes. Think this through.
119. Even when dealing with the systemic fourth ether, we see that only four microcosmic chakras are to be found on that ether, with the higher three found upon the higher three systemic ethers. (Chart VIII, again.)
120. The numbers four and seven are closely interrelated. The seventh or lowest systemic plane is also the fourth from the buddhic plane. The number four (suggesting the square) is a number of manifestation and so is the number seven.
121. Once the buddhic plane is reached, the process of manifestation (through the logoic dense physical body) is irresistible.
122. Upon the monadic plane seven great Sounds. Upon the buddhic plane a sevenfold Word. There is a close relation between the two.
The etheric body of the solar system is now complete,
123. This etheric body consists of the four cosmic ethers.
though it will not be perfected till the end of another manvantara.
124. Is DK being loose with His terms at this point. By “manvantara” does He really mean “mahamanvantara”?
125. It would seem that we must look forward to the next solar system even for the perfecting of the buddhic plane not to mention the higher three cosmic ethers.
The greater body of vitality is ready to energise the dense physical vehicle.
126. The “greater body of vitality” consists of all four cosmic ethers.
127. Only when the fourth cosmic ether, the buddhic plane, is fully energized is the greater body of vitality as a whole ready to energize the dense physical vehicle of the Solar Logos consisting of the three lower cosmic subplanes—our lower three worlds (including the higher mental plane).
The seven centres with their forty-nine major petals are vibrant, and consciousness thrills through every atom in the system.
128. It would seem that DK is speaking of the major chakras of the Solar Logos. Each one of them has, apparently, seven major petals, just as our solar system has seven major planets.
129. We could wonder whether the microcosmic heart center has seven major petals out of the twelve. The same for the twelve-petalled heart in the head center. And of course, the implication is that the twelvefold zodiac has seven constellations or signs which are to be considered major.
130. Whether the solar logoic chakras are to be found only on the buddhic plane, or distributed throughout the cosmic etheric planes, it appears that each one of them is majorly or principally sevenfold, making a total of forty-nine petals when all chakras are considered. This will be the case if we read the phrase—“the seven centres with their forty-nine major petals”—as a collective seven. In other words, it is the collectivity of the seven centers which has the forty-nine major petals and not each chakra. Really, numerologically, it would not make sense for each chakra to have forty-nine major petals, though within each chakra forty-nines may be found (just as they are, for instance, on the Earth and other planets).
131. One problem exists, however. When looking a the microcosmic correspondence, we notice that there are chakras which do not have even seven petals. The base of the spine center has four, and the sacral center has only six. Are the seven major petals to be found only in centers including the ten-petalled solar plexus and the chakras above the solar plexus?
132. All this is to say that the manner of counting forty-nine major petals is not as easily determined as might be thought.
An interlude or period of pause is to be found at this stage of development;
133. Always at the middle point there is an “interlude or period of pause”.
134. The fourth plane is the central plane of seven just as Libra (ruling the concept of “interlude”) is considered to be the point of balance.
135. It is time for another breath before the process of manifestation is breathed forth from the arupa worlds into the rupa worlds.
in it the processes of co-ordination and of stabilisation are carried on; the energy or the vibration is increased until it becomes possible, by a simultaneous effort, emanating from all the three aspects, to bring into objectivity that which is as yet subjective.
136. DK is describing the dynamics of the creative process as they occur upon the buddhic plane.
c. Increasing the energy or vibration
d. The bringing forth into objectivity of that which is subjective
137. We notice how all three aspects of divinity are mobilized at this point.
138. The emergence into objectivity, therefore, is not due only to that which occurs on the buddhic plane. All the higher planes are mobilized to work through the buddhic at the point of emergence. This is another way of saying that all seven chakras representing the three major aspects work together simultaneously.
This is paralleled by man on the physical plane in the applied effort he has to make to bring through and materialise, that which he has conceived and desired.
139. Presumably man does this by employing the fourth ether as a formulating expression of his mental intention and astral desire.
140. Man, too, pauses before releasing the impulse towards materialization.
141. We are speaking of two types of creative process: one by the Logos (planetary or solar—a cosmic process) and the other by man (a systemic process).
The reason so many people fail in materialising their concepts, and hence come to be reckoned as failures,
142. One fails if one fails to materialize. Success is related to manifestation.
is owing to the fact of their inability to make a co-ordinated applied effort,
143. The “coordinated applied effort” is engineered, microcosmically, from the fourth ether and macrocosmically from the fourth cosmic ether.
144. When dealing with the word “application”, the number four is so often involved. “Listen. Touch. See. Apply, Know” (the five injunctions from Rule XIV for Applicants to Initiation).
and thus set in motion substance of the three lower subplanes of the physical plane.
145. The release of energy is to be organized and coordinated. A chaotic release of energy will not lead to successful manifestation.
146. The buddhic plane is the plane of harmony and intuitive coordination.
147. In reflection, we can infer the that the fourth systemic ether is also central to any coordinated effort to manifest upon the three lower systemic subplanes.
They succeed [Page 928] in bringing their concept through from the mental plane (as does the Logos on cosmic levels) as far as the fourth etheric level of the physical, and there their energy becomes exhausted owing to three things:
148. DK is speaking of failure in the magical process. He elaborates this greatly in His later book, A Treatise on White Magic.
149. Presumably, the Logos knows more than to become exhausted!
a. Lack of sustained will or concentration,
150. This involves the willful use of the concrete mind. The mind is the instrument of the will but the source of the energy of will is higher than the mind. The first ray and the fifth ray are intimately related.
151. Notice the factor of sustainment. Brief and sporadic application of will and the concentrated mind are insufficient to overcome the inhibitory forces. Only sustained application will suffice.
b. Lack of alignment with the Ego,
152. Whether the Ego on the higher mental plane or the triadal Ego, it holds the blueprint for what must happen and is the source of sustaining strength. It offers the energizing quality of inspiration, so needed in arduous processes of externalization.
c. A weakness of co-ordination between the two parts of the physical vehicle.
153. The etheric pattern simply cannot make sufficient impression upon the dense physical subplanes.
154. One of the earliest initiations of the human being involved the mastery of the dense physical subplanes by the etheric subplanes. The processes of mastery demanded in the first initiation require etheric dominance over dense physical tendency.
155. Presumably, knowing the words of manifestation—the seven syllabled Word, will be of great value at this point. This is another way of saying that one must not forget the purpose for which on is undertaking manifestation.
156. To work with the sevenfold Word is to work within an Ashram. Each Ashram can be thought of as representing one syllable of this sevenfold Word.
157. Obviously, the Ashrams are great and necessary sources of continued inspiration and, therefore, sustenance.
The logoic Phrase...Fifth plane...The plane of the logoic mantram of 35 stanzas. The gaseous body.
158. We have reached the fifth systemic plane, the mental plane.
159. This is the plane whereon the Solar Angels express through the medium of the causal body.
160. First we had a logoic Breath. Then a Sound. Then a threefold Word. Then a sevenfold Word or Word of seven syllables. Now we have a “logoic Phrase”. The complexity is growing. We have moved from Words to combinations of Words as found in phrases.
161. The Solar Angel, it must be realized, is a creator of mantrams. We have already studied the relationship between a transmitted “Word of Power”; solar angelically created mantrams based on that Word; and formulas based upon those mantrams.
162. Mantrams are magical incantations to bring about the externalization of divine patterns.
163. The numbers 3 and 5 are significant, for the Solar Angels express primarily upon that systemic plane of the solar system for which these numbers are representative. The mental plane is the third counting from below and the fifth counting from above.
164. Assuming that in all these seven forms of logoic expression the atomic subplane of each systemic plane is important, we find in Letters on Occult Meditation that there are 35 egoic groups to be found on the first or atomic subplane of the mental plane.
165. Some theorists have also concluded that the number 35 is the number which particularly represents the cycles of the fifth ray, of which the Solar Angels are a major expression on the fifth plane.
166. We have, therefore--the fifth plane; the number 35 representing the fifth ray; the Solar Angels Who ‘speak’ in mantrams (phrases).
167. We might say that upon the fifth plane complete thoughts are formulated—thoughts which “make sense” under the influence of the logical fifth ray.
168. Phrases, sentences, mantrams—these appeal to the mind. These suggest a subject, verb and object. The separation of the subject and object (united upon and within the cosmic ethers) occurs in this realm of the mind.
The gaseous form of the solar system now appears, and the energy centres become veiled and hidden.
169. DK is speaking of the creative process from the solar logoic perspective.
170. How interesting to think of gas as a veil upon the energy centers. From the cosmic point of view this is like saying that thought veils the pure intuition of buddhi.
171. We might also wish to create a link between the gaseous envelope of the chakras and the etheric webs which protect the chakras and are sometimes mistaken for the chakras themselves.
Accretion and concretion rapidly proceeds.
172. The fifth ray is the ray of concretion. There is a rapid concretization of the intended idea.
173. On microcosmic levels, that which is in process of precipitating becomes more substantial and enters a dense physical form.
174. Accretion occurs under the influence of magnetism. Upon the fifth plane, the second ray or ‘Ray of Magnetism’ is also influential, for the fifth plane is the plane of the soul (governed generically by the second ray).
The three groups of builders co-ordinate their efforts afresh and a new influx of energy — bearing devas from the logoic head centre — pours in.
175. The "Transmitters of the Word" seem to fit into this category—carriers of the first ray and, therefore, probably to be associated with the logoic head center.
176. We may expect to find the logoic head center principally on the logoic plane, though it is probably reflected on every plane subsidiary to the logoic plane. We must remember that the seven chakras are to be found on all the planes—on the four higher levels of the cosmic physical subplanes and on the four higher levels of the systemic physical subplanes .
177. We remember (as we learned in a previous commentary) that this high group of devas originate within the "One About Whom Naught May Be Said", are transmitted through three great constellations and even through the seven major stars of the Great Bear (a constellation which, as a whole, has a first ray quality).
178. When speaking of “three groups of builders” there are different ways to approach the interpretation of the phrase, but the idea, as developed in foregoing chapters, has emphasized transmitters, building (manipulating) devas, and building essence.
179. The first and fifth rays are, we know, intimately related as are the first and fifth planes.
180. It is also well to remember when dealing with the fifth plane and with Solar Angels, that certain Solar Angels do emanate from the logoic Central Spiritual Sun (naturally connected to the “logoic head centre”) and other Solar Angels emanate from the logoic Heart of the Sun.
181. We are seeing that “Transmitters of the Word” and ‘Enunciators of Mantrams” are closely interactive. Thus the numbers one and five are closely interactive.
The lesser builders [lunar pitris?] respond to the logoic mantram chanted anew at each manvantara,
182. Will this mantram be chanted by great Solar Angels as found upon the cosmic mental plane? If a human incarnation is impulsed largely from the systemic mental plane then the incarnation of a Planetary Logos or Planetary Logos should be impulsed from the cosmic mental plane.
183. When we examine a term like “lesser builders” we must realize its relativity.
and the seven streams of energy from the seven logoic centres are directed downwards.
184. We seem to be speaking of the creative process of the Solar Logos.
185. May we assume that these “seven streams” are directed from the logoic plane? May it be that on that plane the seven solar logoic centers are likely to be found? It is on the monadic plane that the seven major centers of a Planetary Logos are to be found. This is a possible distinction here which needs careful examination. We would have to know the planar ‘location’ of the seven major head centers of the Solar Logos. Very possibly it is a ‘location’ on the systemic logoic plane.
186. In any case, it seems that the logoic mantram is sevenfold and must (by a series of transformations) reach the distributing chakra which are responsible for objectification.
187. When we speak of the fifth ray, we speak of concretion. The number 35 is derived from the product of 5 x 7. If there is a sevenfold “logoic mantram”, then much of that which concretizes this mantram into form within the dense physical body of the Solar Logos is accomplished on the fifth or mental plane (the higher mental plane specifically). On the highest level (subplane) of the higher mental plane there are 35 groupings of Egos, each responsible for materializing some aspect of the logoic mantram.
The logoic Song of Love or Desire...The Sixth plane...A poem in forty-two verses. The logoic liquid body.
188. We are no longer talking about the ‘Science of Mantra’ requiring the fifth ray and the fifth plane. Our emphasis has become decidedly more ‘emotional’ (if we can use such a term as we speak of a Solar Logos) when we descend to the systemic astral plane.
189. We are contrasting “phrases” which appear on the fifth plane with “verses” (with their emotive appeal) which appear on the sixth. We are moving from science to art, from logic to poetry.
190. The planet
191. That which began on the highest planes now develops magnetic appeal.
192. The soft-line rays are the ones in expression on the sixth plane. There is also a resonance to the second subplane of the higher mental plane, with its 42 groups of Egos.
This song or vibration causes the bringing in of a body of devas from the logoic heart centre to swell the efforts of those already active.
193. Just as the number one and five are closely related, when considering the dynamics of the logoic creative process as it reaches the fifth plane, so the numbers two and six are closely related.
194. We must remember the influence of Neptune Who is the “Divine Singer”, Vishnu.
195. The number one suggests the logoic head center; the number two, the logoic heart center.
196. The astral plane, the buddhic plane, the monadic plane, and the cosmic astral plane all have a close relation to the Heart of the Sun. As for the logoic heart center where may we find it? If analogies from TCF Chart VIII hold good, we would look for it on the systemic monadic plane with reflected expressions on the systemic buddhic plane.
197. There will be activity ‘native’ to or characteristic of every one of the systemic planes, and this activity can be augmented by inflows from the major vehicles of the Solar Logos. In this case the natural activity upon the astral plane is augmented by the energies from the logoic heart center (active, for practical purposes, on the monadic and buddhic planes). Naturally, there will be a higher correspondence to this logoic heart center on the cosmic astral plane.
The liquid body of the solar Logos appears, and the form exists in its six differentiations.
198. We see that the vehicles of any entity appear progressively, presumably through the emanative process.
199. Even on the monadic plane, seven proto-forms existed (seven monadic Sounds within the One Sound). Why, then, only six forms? Or are we dealing with one form in six differentiations?
200. Perhaps full differentiation of form only appears as we descend through the planes, and perhaps the number of differentiations is closely related to the number of the plane concerned. This is true for the first, second and third planes, but not to the fourth and fifth planes. On the sixth plane the number 42 sums to 6. Even on the second plane, however, there is a strong presence of the number seven.
201. Probably the better way of way of understanding the thought here presented is that the single form descending as a result of the cosmic magical process is now sixfold.
Concretion is very rapid, and activity is considerably more violent owing to the greater density of the accruing substance.
202. Rays five, six and seven are all rays of concretion.
203. We know the reputation of those upon the sixth for forming rapid conclusions based on emotional impulse, and their reputation for violence (especially if influenced by the Martian aspect of the sixth ray). Perhaps the dynamics of this sevenfold creative process, once that process reaches the sixth plane, explain somewhat these character traits.
204. In any case, DK is telling us that rapid concretion is associated with the sixth plane and the sixth ray.
The logoic Book of Life...Seventh plane...Exists in forty-nine chapters.
205. Finally we reach the lowest level in this creative process. We have moved from the Breath, to the Sound, to the threefold Word, to the Word with seven syllables, to the Mantram with thirty-five phases, to the “Song of Love or Desire”, a poem in forty-two verses, and finally to the expression in form of a “Book of Life”…”in forty-nine chapters”.
206. The following numerical sequences bears study: 1—2—3—7—35—42—49.
The entire form stands revealed.
207. It is the purpose of the seventh ray to make full revelation. Jupiter is the planet of fulness and also a major seventh ray planet.
208. We have reached a point of fullest objectivity.
209. The seven above (on the monadic plane certainly, and perhaps, from the solar logoic standpoint, on the logoic plane) are manifested in seven below, each with its seven divisions.
210. The 4 and the 9 of 49 (the number of expressed differentiations on the seventh plane) sum to 13 and then 4, thus showing the relationship between the four and seven, as suggested in relation to the fourth plane and its sevenfold Word.
During evolution it must manifest its purpose and its nature.
211. The purpose behind the form must be revealed.
A third group [Page 929] of devas from the logoic throat centre appear, and cooperate with their brothers.
212. The higher devas come forth to cooperate with devas whose process is already in progress.
213. We have seen the first ray related to the fifth plane, the second ray related to the sixth plane and now the third ray related to the seventh plane.
214. The third and seventh rays are intimately related. This has worked out in a practical manner through the relation of the Mahachohan, Master R. to both the third and seventh rays.
215. Where shall we find the logoic throat center? Some might point to the buddhic plane, but it remains a strong possibility that we are to look for it upon the third plane or atmic plane.
216. Saturn is the ruler of the atmic plane and Uranus (veiled by the Moon) of the seventh plane. There is distinct relationship between Saturn and Uranus.
217. When looking at the logoic creative process, we may link the first and the fifth planes; the second and the sixth planes, and the third and the seventh planes. The origin of creativity on the lower planes is to be found on the three highest planes.
All the fires are burning, all the centres are active, and every petal, forty-nine in number, on the fourth plane of Buddhi is producing a reflex activity upon the dense physical plane.
218. We have two perspectives. There may be seven solar logoic centers of force on the buddhic plane (as here suggested, but three of those centers of force may have originated on planes higher than the buddhic, although they may be represented on the buddhic. By analogy, we have seven etheric chakras, and seven astral chakras. Eventually we shall have seven, not four mental plane chakras, and there is every reason to believe that there are seven chakras on the buddhic and atmic planes as well (and perhaps beyond)
219. We have seen how the “A” originating on plane one is transposed to plane two to join the “U”, “A U”. This same additive approach carries on to plane three where we have “A U M”
220. Maybe this is the way that chakras work as well. Perhaps those chakras on higher subplanes (head center on the first subplane, heart center on the second, throat center on the third) all make their vorticular impression on the fourth subplane, thus making it possible to say that all chakric vortices are to be found on the fourth subplane). In fact, if higher vortices are to appear as vortices on the buddhic plane, then it may be that these higher vortices descend through planes higher than the buddhic on their way to the buddhic. In such a case, the logoic head center would have a vorticular presence on the monadic plane and the atmic plane before reaching the buddhic plane. The logoic heart center would on the monadic plane would have a vorticular presence on the atmic plane before reaching the buddhic plane. The logoic throat center, presumably on the atmic plane, would have it originating vortex there, but would also have a vorticular presence on the buddhic plane. We can see some of the possible intricacy.
221. When looking at the cosmic physical plane from the cosmic perspective, and when studying the various Planetary Logoi as if they were chakras within the energy system of the Solar Logos, it is clear that each one of these planetary lotuses does not have forty-nine petals, but, rather, seven major petals.
222. How many petals there are to be found in each etheric planetary lotus is probably one of the secrets of initiate. Usually the number twelve is used when referring to planetary or even solar lotuses; this usually has a heart center connection or perhaps a causal body connection.
223. When it comes to the human being, of course, we are given different numbers of petals for each of the chakras, and there is no reason to suspect that the planetary chakric lotuses appearing on the cosmic ethers would be identical in petal number or formation. To solve this intricate problem, we simply will have to wait until more is known.
224. Again the count of forty-nine petals on the buddhic plane is not easily determined, though it seems logical enough before one starts to go into the details.
Men, when occupied in creation of any kind, and in the process of producing forms on earth which embody an idea, work along similar lines. The analogy is perfect.
225. And this is the analogy which is so thoroughly developed in A Treatise on White Magic.
226. Even when dealing with the human magical creative process, this descent from the Breath to the forty-nine chapters should be studied carefully as, once more is known along a practical line, it would hold many hints regarding how to proceed—magically.
In connection with those human beings who create nothing,
227. Though they will always be capable of procreation…
but who are only swept into activity under the urge of circumstance—
228. They are simply reactive rather than proactive…
and they are the bulk of the human race—
229. We must not forget just how few human beings are really personalities or advanced in any way. So few have the higher functions of the throat center developed.
it should be pointed out that they are a part of the creative activity of some greater, and more advanced, entity.
230. Deliberate creativity is occurring on many systemic and cosmic levels and necessarily, even if human beings are unconscious of it, they are involved as tiny units in some greater creative process.
231. Tiny elemental lives are, analogously, involved in the creative process of higher devas who sweep these lesser lives into various patterns and relationships.
As self-conscious evolution proceeds, more and more of the human family will become creators and intelligent workers in connection with deva substance.
232. This means that their throat center will become activated. Man, as he advances, will no longer become the plaything of the devas and lesser lives.
In the initial stages, therefore, of their dissociation from a passive attitude, there will be found a revolt against law and order, a refusal to be governed, and an ability evidenced to follow out an individual concept at the expense of the group, great or small.
233. DK offers a certain assessment of an inevitable stage of the process--rebellion.
234. The sequence seems to be: passivity—rebellion—conformity (to higher or spiritual requirements).
235. In the stage under discussion, it seems that one becomes an ‘outlaw’.
236. The personality at some stage always rebels against the soul and the individual against the group.
This apparent defect, evolution itself and experience will remedy, and as the consciousness becomes alive to higher vibrations the man will become aware of the purpose and plan of the Intelligence of his group.
237. Correction is built into the evolutionary process.
238. DK calls the rebellious attitude an “apparent defect” because He knows that it is an inevitable and temporary part of the evolutionary process.
239. Pain and the inevitable sensitization that it brings will also render the man more capable to cooperation with the group.
He will awaken to the beauty of that plan and will begin to submerge his own interests in the greater, and to co-operate intelligently.
240. What is suggested is that the realization of beauty translates into self-discipline. Perhaps intelligent artists understand this.
241. Every evolving human being must learn how to submerge the lesser in the greater.
The creative power which had before been of a separative nature will be offered as a willing sacrifice to the greater energy,
242. The story is ever the same; the part sacrifices for the whole—eventually.
and his small plans and ideas will be merged in the greater ones. He will no longer, however, be a passive unit, swept hither and thither by the energy of his group,
243. Man, himself, passes through long periods when he is analogous to an elemental life. He is unconsciously “swept” by greater forces, and in general by the energy of his group.
244. The use of the word “swept” is graphic and appears throughout the teaching when this type of dynamic is being described. The suggestion is predominantly that the entity or unit that is swept has no control over the direction in which it is moved nor of the degree of force with which it is moved in that direction.
"Amid the whirling forces, I stand confused. I know them not, for, during all my past, they swept me up and down the land wherein I moved, blinded and unaware. From place to place and point to point, they drove me up and down the land and nowhere was there rest.
I know them now and here I stand and will not move until I know the Law which governs all this movement up and down the land. I may revolve and turning face the many different ways; I face some wide horizons and yet today I stand.
I will determine for myself the way to go. Then onward I will move. I will not travel up and down the land nor turn in space. But onward I will move." (EA 20)
but will become a positive, active potent force, self-immolated through intelligent recognition of the greater plan.
245. Thus the destiny of man is described in arresting terms—abstractly, in terms of energy.
246. Self-immolation is usually the way of release followed by those whose souls are focused on the sixth ray, but the terms has general applicability as well.
247. It is always that mistaken notion of identity called the “lower self” which must be immolated. The true Self is fire and is the cause of self-immolation.
He will become alive to the fact that there are living [Page 930] forces in nature.
248. And not only so-called “blind forces”…
As the greater energy thrills through him, his own latent powers are awakened.
249. The greater energy awakens the lesser. This is why we must put ourselves in touch with that which is greater. Our faculties will be awakened.
He sees and knows the deva forces and can consequently work with them intelligently.
250. So far, much so-called ‘work’ undertaken with the devas is blind engagement and, therefore, dangerous.
Some he will control and manipulate, with others he will co-operate, and others still he will obey.
251. This is one of the great statements in the Teaching regarding man’s relation to the devas.
252. Man is to control the elementals—the elemental forces of nature. He is, probably, to learn how to control some of the lower manipulating devas and cooperate with those which are equally intelligent and experienced as he. And there are certain great deva Lives which man must simply obey. The "Transmitters of the Word" certainly come into this category.
253. Before we can accurately assess the devic lives which man must control, or with which he must cooperate, or which he must obey, we have to know a lot more about the nature, scope and variety of such lives. Modern man’s effective study of the deva kingdom is relatively in its infancy.
It is in the realisation of these facts anent deva substance, the power of sound, the law of vibration, and the ability to produce forms in conformity with law, that the true magician can be seen.
254. We are speaking of that which makes the true magician. Let us tabulate for clarity and impact:
255. The true magician must—
a. Realize certain necessary facts anent deva substance
b. Realize the power of sound and what may be called the ‘laws of sound’
c. Realize the nature of the Law of Vibration
d. Possess the ability to produce forms in conformity with law
256. These are just a few of the requirements.
Herein too lies one of the distinctions to be found between magicians of the Good Law, and those of the Left-hand Path.
257. Distinctions between these two types of workers—workers with matter/form and workers principally polarized in Spirit/soul, are frequently given by DK. When we are learning to “play with fire”, He wants to be assured that we know the dangers involved.
A white magician can control and manipulate deva substance, and he proceeds to do it through an intelligent co-operation with the greater builders. Owing to the purity and holiness of his life, and the height of his own vibration, he can contact them in some one or other of their grades.
258. The white magician can certainly control all manner of deva substance but he does so through intelligent cooperation with the greater builders.
259. While the white magician can contact the greater builders (because he is qualified to do so) the black magician cannot.
The magician of the shadows
260. This term suggests that such magicians can work effectively on the systemic etheric plane, the realm of the “shadows”.
261. The term “shadows”, however, when extended, suggests all that transpires upon and within the lower eighteen subplanes.
controls and manipulates deva substance on the astral and physical plane and on the lower levels of the mental plane
262. Only with the lower three worlds…
through the force of his own vibration and knowledge, but not through co-operation with the directing builders.
263. The black magician is, as it were, interrupting the natural chain of command. He is selfishly intervening in an otherwise integrated process for the sake of fulfilling his own desires, which are separative and uncooperative.
He cannot contact them, as his character is impure through selfishness, and his vibration is too low; his power therefore is limited and destructive, yet immense within certain restrictions.
264. The limitations of the black magician are given. His own impurity, selfness and insufficiently rapid vibration prevent him from contacting the greater builders.
265. However, his power is not to be underestimated “within certain restrictions”. He works, apparently, entirely within the three lower worlds and has particular interest in the matter inherited from the previous solar system—unprincipled dense physical matter.
The devas of the etheric doubles fall into two groups.
266. As we enter this discussion, we must keep constantly in mind the need to differentiate between lesser devas and elementals (some of whom can be called “elementals” and, those who are merely “building essence”.
267. We are now going to speak principally of the “devas of the etheric doubles” and must not confuse them with elemental builders who work within the dense physical subplanes—dense-dense, liquid-dense and gaseous-dense.
They are those who are the lesser builders, and who, under direction from the greater builders,
268. In this discussion we are, essentially, discriminating between lesser builders and greater builders.
form the etheric doubles of all that can be seen and all that is tangible on the dense physical plane.
269. Let us again recall our discussion of three principal types of devas—
a. Devas who are "Transmitters of the Word"
b. Devas who are “Transmitters of Prana”
c. Devas (or lesser builders) who form the etheric doubles of all that Cancer be seen. Our question will revolve around the degree of passivity of such lesser devas and their degree of intelligence (even if it is unconscious intelligence).
270. The devas who form the etheric doubles should not be called “building essence” or passive substance. They are formulators rather than passive lives.
They exist in vast hosts and are omnipresent; they gather and build the material needed to form the etheric double of everything, and they do this under certain laws and work under certain restrictions.
271. There is an important distinction here. These lesser builders “gather and build the needed material”. They are not entirely passive. The “needed material” is passive and elemental essence. It is “building essence”-
272. This section of text has allowed us to discriminate between such devas and the passive substantial lives (the “material”) which they gather and build into form.
273. We gather the impression that they are extremely numerous and not at all individual. They are subjected to group life and group law.
274. They do work under law and restriction. The planet Saturn will be important in relation to them.
They are called in occult phraseology "the listening devas," for they are the ones who pick up that particular note and tone from the transmitters of [Page 931] the physical plane sound which is needed to gather the substance for any intended material form.
275. Via activity on the etheric plane, the dense physical substance (in its three grades) is magnetically gathered.
276. These “listening devas” seem to have a particular relation to the “transmitters of the physical plane sound”—presumably, a high group of devas. Such transmitters are related to the first ray and these “listening devas” to the third ray. Rays three and one are always reciprocally related being along the same line.
277. The “listening devas” are elementals but are not “elemental essence”, “building essence”, “passive lives”, “material”.
278. Saturn, we know, is the principal ray three planet and is peculiarly related to the sense of hearing which allows a human being, for instance, to locate himself in space—a very Saturnian act.
279. If the listening devas do not receive the needed note or tone from the transmitters, they cannot “gather the substance for any intended material form”.
280. We know that the sense of hearing is the first sense to emerge, and so it is correspondentially fitting that this first and lowest group of devas be related to the first and lowest sense.
Again, they are spoken of as "having ears but seeing not."
281. The sense of sight emerges only long after the sense of hearing.
They work in close co-operation with the elementals of the dense physical body [who may or may not be etheric devas but who live in or “exist in” the three subplanes of density].
282. Presumably, the elementals of the dense physical body are a lower form of building life than the “listening devas”..
283. We have to keep these two types of elemental builders separate—those working in the ethers (“listening devas”) and those working in dense physical matter—in its three states (“seeing elementals”). Notice here the contrast between listening devas and seeing elementals.
284. We have to proceed carefully here because the elementals of the dense physical plane are not substance (or elemental essence), per se. They have a kind of building, devic function in relation to substance as we shall see below.
This second group [the elementals of the dense physical body] are spoken of as the "seeing elementals," for they exist in matter of the three lower subplanes and can therefore see on the objective plane in the occult sense which always implies an analogy between sight and knowledge.
285. We are to infer that the “listening devas” work etherically, but that the “seeing elementals” work within the three dense physical subplanes. If this is true, it is an important distinction.
286. We shall definitely have to understand whether the words “exist in” means that these “seeing elementals” are dense physical entities and not etheric builders, or whether they are etheric builders who can still, somehow, “exist in” matter of the lower three subplanes. As we read ahead, we shall see why this question is of real consequence.
287. The sense in which the elementals of the dense physical body are “seeing elementals” is an “occult” sense. They do not literally ‘see’, but have the capacity to function on those subplanes—the lowest systemic three.
288. There is always an analogy between sight and knowledge. It was only as pre-individualized animal man was individualized, that he began also to see.
289. We note that these “elementals “ are builders who build but are not ‘built into’.
The "listening builders" [also called “listening devas”] gather the material;
290. They are called, then, both “listening devas” and “listening builders”.
291. It is interesting that the first way a human being contacts the soul is through the sense of hearing—for instance, hearing the voice of conscience.
the "seeing elementals" take that gathered material, and build it into any specific form.
292. So we see, that the “seeing elementals” are also “builders”. We must link sight, the second ray and the power to build—a capacity of the second ray.
293. It seems necessary to distinguish between elementals and elemental essence (which is the “material” to be gathered), just as it is necessary to distinguish between devas and elementals (though the terminological overlap is not always utterly clean).
294. Thus, as it appears, elementals of all kinds are builders; and “material” (i.e., substance, elemental essence, even monadic essence) is built into form by the builders.
295. Elemental essence or “material” could, conceivably, be called “passive elemental lives”, but we must proceed carefully when attempting to make the necessary differentiations.
296. We see why these distinctions are so important. There are in frequent use a number of similar terms which have distinctly different meanings.
297. Both elementals and devas are builders, but devas appear to be higher than elementals; elementals are lower builders, and elemental essence is built.
They [the “seeing elementals”, presumably] exist in many groups according to their point in evolution, and some of them might be tabulated as follows:
298. We are speaking of the elemental builders of the dense physical plane, of those who exist in matter of the three lowest subplanes. Yet, are they fundamentally etheric (building etheric doubles also) as well as working within the densest subplanes and upon the building of the dense physical form?
299. Since we are in a section discussing “etheric builders” we must hesitate to consider them only as densely physical entities.
300. There follows a sixfold tabulation (even sevenfold) and it seems to concern the building of the etheric vehicles of various beings and objects. Much of our interpretation will depend on how we regard “elementals of the dense physical body”. In light of the way this tabulation is structured, it seems wisest to regard them as those who build the etheric mould upon which the dense physical body is formed, and not to regard them only a entities who do no etheric building and are dense physical entities only.
1. The builders of the human vehicle.
This is the highest group of lesser builders [elemental builders rather than deva builders], who are highly specialised. These will be dealt with somewhat in detail later.
301. We appear to be speaking of the “lesser builders” who work specifically within the systemic dense physical substance in its three grades—dense, liquid and gaseous. Yet, apparently, though existing in dense physical matter, they are also building the etheric forms upon which the dense physical vehicle is structured.
302. We are not speaking of all lesser builders (found also on the astral plane and mental plane), but specifically of those who work within the lowest three systemic subplanes and upon the etheric counterparts of the structures found on those lowest subplanes..
303. Within the three lower worlds, the human being is the macrocosm for the three lower kingdoms. The lesser builders of the human vehicle, (in this case, those “seeing elementals” who work in relation to the dense physical body of the human being and also, we cannot help but infer, in relation to the human etheric vehicle) are naturally higher than those who work as builders in relation to the lower three kingdoms.
304. We must remember (no matter how often DK refers to the dense physical subplanes), that we are in a section dealing with etheric builders, so the building of two kinds of vehicles seems to be under discussion—the building of etheric doubles and the building of dense physical forms.
305. Thus, when the human vehicle is discussed, it appears that it is not only the densest portion of that vehicle but also the etheric portion.
306. In the foregoing text, there is considerable ambiguity concerning etheric building vs. building upon the dense physical planes.
2. The builders of the forms in the three kingdoms of nature in their two divisions.
307. We continue to speak of builders of dense physical forms and, it would seem, of etheric forms.
308. Perhaps the two divisions include builders within the etheric field and builders within the dense physical field.
First. The builders of the mineral kingdom. These are the workers occultly called "the elemental alchemists." They are in many groups connected with the differing elements, metals, chemicals, and minerals, and with what are called active and radioactive substances.
309. We may infer that these builders work very much under the seventh ray, as the Ray Lord of the seventh ray is called the “Divine Alchemical Worker”.
310. We can see that these elemental builders have their specialties involving different elements and chemical compounds.
311. They are building physically though, in order to do so, etheric building in necessarily involved.
They are the custodians of two secrets, that of the immetalisation of the Monad, and the secret of the transmutation of metals.
312. When thinking of these two secrets we must think of the involutionary and evolutionary arcs. The immetalisation of the Monad involves the anchoring of the Monad into the depths of matter. For the Monad (or rather the attenuated extension of the Monad which accounts for its presence in the lowest worlds) this immetalization is achieved through involution and is part of the “Second Outpouring”, yet the moment it occurs, the beginning of an evolutionary process is indicated.
313. The transmutation of metals into higher metals and higher metals is a definitely evolutionary process within the mineral kingdom.
314. It seems these elementals (“seeing elementals” of various kinds) are in charge (no doubt under intelligent direction) of this immetalization and transmutation process.
315. When it comes to describing the distinction between devas and elementals, it might be suggestive to think of elementals as ‘devas without wings’.
Second. The builders of the vegetable kingdom.
316. These, so we might infer, are of a higher order than the elementals who work only with the densest of the physical subplanes.
They exist in many groups and are termed "the surface alchemists" and "the bridging units."
317. So we have had “the elemental alchemists” associated with the mineral kingdom and now “the surface alchemists” or “bridging units” associated with the dense physical forms of the vegetable kingdom. The “elemental alchemists” associated with the dense physical forms of the mineral kingdom.
318. Plant life, of course, exists on the surface of the Earth. The “elemental alchemists” can work within the deep places of the Earth.
319. We note that these two types of builders are both called “alchemists”, so the seventh ray will be connected with both types. The “surface alchemists” however, will have more of the sixth ray potency, according with the second kingdom.
320. The soft-line rays are bridging rays and make relational interplay possible, hence the term “the bridging units”.
321. One wonders if the bridging to occur is between the mineral and animal kingdom, or is it between the truly dense physical subplane and the gaseous subplane of the systemic physical plane? Apparently, we have been speaking of elementals who are working within the dense physical subplanes even while building etherically.
They build the doubles of every form of vegetable life, and just as the "alchemists" of the mineral kingdom are mostly concerned with the action of fire, these other alchemical workers are concerned with the liquid action of divine [Page 932] manifestation.
322. Here we come to a point of real potential confusion. We have been discussing, so it seems, those elemental builders who work within the dense physical subplanes, and are called “seeing elementals”.
323. Yet now we seem to be speaking of these same groups as if they were building the etheric doubles of the dense physical forms.
324. So which is it? We do see that the two kinds of “alchemists” are, indeed, associated with fire and “liquid action” (both of which are dense). But we also are told that they “build doubles”, which would make them etheric!
325. Maybe one solution is that they exist in “many groups” and that some of these alchemists work solely within the dense physical subplanes and others do work in the ethers.
326. We now see why the words “exist in” (which I pointed out above) were of such importance. Is it possible to “exist in” matter of the three lower subplanes, and still be a builder of etheric doubles!? The subject is not yet entirely clear due to the apparent twists and turns to be found within the foregoing sections of text.
327. The “elemental alchemists” work with the systemic densest physical subplane (so it would seem), but also with the gaseous level (definitely, as indicated below). The “surface alchemists” work largely within the liquid medium which is a reflection (within the systemic dense physical body) of the systemic astral plane. Biological life as we know it depends upon this “liquid action”.
328. Fire pertains not only to the mental plane but to the physical plane as well. Fire also pertains to the systemic gaseous subplane and, in some sense, to the densest of all the subplanes.
329. We are left with the question whether these “alchemists”—“elemental alchemists” and “surface alchemists” or “bridging units” are building etheric doubles or are building forms within the dense physical subplanes, or, somehow, both. The matter is not entirely easy to resolve.
330. Because we are in the midst of a section of text dealing with the builders of etheric doubles, we must not remove these “alchemists” from the ranks of etheric builders simply because we are told that they “exist in” matter of the three lowest subplanes.
They work, therefore, in co-operation with the devas of the waters, or liquid substance, whilst the earlier mentioned group work with the gaseous devas.
331. We are given a description of elementals working with devas. The “surface alchemists” work in cooperation with the devas of the waters or liquid substance. The “elemental alchemists” work in connection with the gaseous devas.
332. Within this elemental kingdom, the term “deva” and “elemental” seem somewhat to overlap. It is easy to consider the lowest form of devas as elementals. DK’s use of terms in various contexts has to be examined carefully if valid distinctions are to be made.
333. Are there no ‘devas of density’ involved in these processes, just as there are devas of the waters and gaseous devas?
334. When these “alchemists” “work in cooperation with” are they working on the same levels as the “devas of the waters” and “gaseous devas” (and thus within the three densest systemic subplanes), or are they working from ‘above’ (building doubles from the etheric level). As stated, this is the problem to solve
335. From this latter perspective, we would be speaking of those elementals (“alchemists”) who build etheric vehicles, who work with elementals within the dense physical subplanes, and who respond to higher categories of devas—higher than those who work within the strictly etheric levels. In this case the “alchemists” would not live within the three lowest physical subplanes, but would work also within the ethers.
336. From such a perspective, for instance, the “surface alchemists” would build etheric doubles of the vegetable forms of life, but they would work in cooperation with the devas of the waters (who would be lower forms of life than they are) and presumably, would also work in relation to the devas of the astral plane who are higher than they are.
337. Additionally, from the same perspective, the “elemental alchemists” would build etheric counterparts of the mineral kingdom and work in cooperation with the gaseous devas (who would be lower forms of life than they are). If there are elementals, (“seeing elementals”?) who work in the densest physical subplane, it would seem that the “elemental alchemists” would also work in cooperation with them.
338. BUT, we cannot be sure that the perspective just unfolded is correct, for, after all, the “alchemists” (both “elemental alchemists” and “surface alchemists”) could be forms of elemental life who live within the three dense physical subplanes and who are lower than the “listening devas” (which are those who are definitely etheric in nature).
339. One reason we might think the former perspective to be correct (i.e., that these “alchemists” are builders of etheric doubles) is that we are in a section of the book definitely dealing with etheric builders. Work on systemic dense physical builders was presented in an earlier section.
340. But certain seemingly ambiguous statements make certainty here not yet achievable.
A hint is here conveyed,
341. Does this hint concern the control of dense physical processes through the use of the gaseous state of matter? What have breathing and breathing exercises to do with influence upon the dense physical level?
but greater expansion of the statement is not possible, owing to the danger of the knowledge to be reached.
342. Usually, when the “ancient fires” of the dense physical subplanes are involved, there is always danger, as articulated in the white magical process.
343. Is this danger the reason that the information given in this section of text seems so ambiguous and difficult to interpret?
With them [presumably, the “surface alchemists”] is hidden three secrets: One is concerned with the earlier solar system, or the green solar system;
344. We are into the realm of scientific occultism as it is applied to the lowest systemic physical subplanes. We are focusing on the mysteries of matter.
345. Dense physical matter is the residue of the earlier solar system.
346. It is not for nothing that Master DK is referencing the previous solar system as the green solar system.
347. One wonders if the so-called “secret of life” (or of the emergence of biological life from mineral life) is not one of the secrets.
348. The plant kingdom upon which the “surface alchemists” work is closely association with the color green.
349. In any case, only one of the three secrets concerns the earlier solar system, the other two, presumably, this one.
another deals with the laws of bridging, or the interaction between the kingdoms of nature,
350. Here we have the something about the second secret and the processes connected with it occurs apparently, in this solar system.
351. DK has sometimes pointed to certain intermediate forms of life which act as “bridges” between the kingdoms of nature.
352. This type of bridging is essentially transmutative, promoting the elevation of the members of one kingdom into the next higher kingdom.
and the third is connected with the history of the second round;
353. We remember that the reptile kingdom has a particular connection with the second round as do all mythological serpent and dragon symbols.
354. The second round and the second kingdom have a close interrelation.
355. Our relation to the Solar Angels (or “wise serpents”) may be promoted by a vegetable died.
356. We must also bear in mind the close relation between Venus, the second round and the vegetable kingdom.
this secret when revealed will make clear why man (under the law) should be a vegetarian and not carnivorous.
357. We see there are very deep reasons why vegetarianism is indicated as desirable, perhaps even necessary.
358. The reasons will be buried deep in a form of alchemy of which we presently have no notion. Perhaps we should simply take Master DK’s word for it when considering the nature of our diet.
359. Let us tabulate the three secrets in the possession of the “surface alchemists”:
a. The secret of the earlier solar system, the “green” system
b. The secrets surrounding the “laws of bridging”
c. The third secret which is connected with the history of the second round
Scientists are learning already certain things connected with the second secret, and they may hope, as the knowledge of the significance of colour is extended, to glean hints as to the first.
360. We sense the profundity of the hints. DK is suggesting that scientists are beginning to understand something of the bridging processes between kingdoms. Certainly, they have located certain forms of life which seem to carry the characteristics of adjacent kingdoms.
361. As for the knowledge concerning the first secret, DK did mention the color green. One suspects that, in relation to this blue-green planet, the relationship between green and blue must be understood. The other colors, as well, cannot be left out of consideration.
362. Perhaps this secret is related to two types of matter or substance—one characterized by the color green and the other by the color blue. Certainly, there must be profound differences between the matter of the previous solar system and the substance of this one.
The third secret will not be indicated more clearly till the sixth race is living upon earth.
363. This may well be in thousands of years. The sixth rootrace will not come to an end until approximately ten million years from now.. We do not know how long it will take to be established, but it will not be anytime soon. Today it is only incipient.
Third. The builders of all animal etheric forms.
364. Point number three suggests to us that (as regards points one and two) we have definitely been talking about etheric builders, even if they ‘work with” and “exist in” the three densest subplanes.
365. We have been speaking (so it would seem) of the elementals responsible for building the etheric doubles of the members of the mineral and plant kingdoms (and also, initially, of the etheric double of the human form). Now we focus on the builders of animal etheric forms.
366. We are still dealing with the “elementals who see” and who work on and from within the densest three subplanes—even though, perhaps, they may be more etheric than dense.
These are a group closely allied with those who build the human form.
367. The animal and human form have close similarities. This is especially so between the mammal and human forms.
368. Notice that when speaking of the “human form”, DK seems not to be speaking only of the dense physical form, but of the etheric-physical form.
They came in force from a reservoir of energy which was kept in a quiescent condition until the physical condition of any particular scheme warranted their activity.
369. The phrase “came in force” suggests the involvement of Mars which is the planet ruling the animal kingdom.
370. All is superbly timed and no influx of energy is left to chance.
With them came in much that accounts for the present sad condition, for much of the fear, hatred, and destructive condition to be found among the animals is caused by their bodies being built, and the work of evolution carried on by the "imperfect gods" (as H. P. B. expresses it) working in imperfect matter as yet imperfectly manipulated.
371. We speaking of fear, hatred and destructive conditions, we do seem to be speaking of the Martian influence.
372. Mars is one of the “imperfect gods” and so it Earth.
373. The two “satellites” of Mars are “Phobos” and “Demos”, fear and dread or terror.
374. Three imperfections exist. Let us tabulate them:
a. There are “imperfect gods”—imperfect Planetary Logoi. They are Great Builders, though imperfect
b. The matter in which these imperfect gods work is, itself, imperfect (unredeemed, and coming largely from a previous solar system).
c. The manner in which these imperfect gods work is also imperfect. Their manipulative skills are not yet fully developed.
375. In this tabulation of imperfections we will recognize one of the leading causes of disease upon our planet and, presumably, upon the other non-sacred planets.
The secret of fear is hidden in the etheric body, and the particular type of substance out of which it may be built.
376. This is an extraordinary statement. DK does not seem to be speaking about certain chakras within the etheric body—such as the sacral center or solar plexus center. He has already discussed the ancient racial fears hidden in the sacral center.
377. He seems to be speaking in a more general sense about the etheric body as a whole and the quality of substance out of which it may be built.
378. Fear is an action of recoil and that dynamic may exist on a very fundamental level—such as the relation between dense physical matter and etheric substance.
379. The Moon is also connected with the “secret of fear” and we do remember that the violet colored devas of the four systemic ethers carry the crescent moon upon their foreheads.
3. The builders of the planetary etheric web.
380. We have discussed the builders of the human vehicle; the builders of the forms of the three kingdoms of nature; and now the builder of the planetary etheric web.
381. We are, therefore, speaking principally of etheric building, even though very definite effects occur in relation to the dense physical forms with which the etheric structures are connected.
382. We are dealing with that etheric something which relates the etheric bodies of all members of all kingdoms if those kingdoms are manifesting upon the systemic physical plane.
383. We are also dealing with the etheric matrix which connects the etheric doubles of so-called “inanimate objects”.
Their work is exceedingly obscure and exists in three divisions:
a. The materialisation of the web. This is only perfected by the fourth round,
384. There is a suggestion that the etheric web (presumably, of the planet) was not completed during the earlier three rounds.
and was purposely hurried in connection with our planet owing to karmic conditions, and under the law of spiritual necessity.
385. We are reminded of the Moon-chain failure and the need to make up for lost time.
386. It would seem that the “law of spiritual necessity” is related to the manner and timing of the externalization of the purpose of the Planetary Logos.
A correspondence to this can be seen in the case of man himself. The etheric web was very loosely co-ordinated in man at the beginning of the fourth rootrace.
387. Presumably this allowed for much contact between the astral and physical planes.
388. The suggestion is that as the fourth rootrace continued, the materialisation proceeded and the web became far more coordinated—shall we say into a system of squares? This may have resulted in the reduction of the rampant psychism prevalent during the Atlantean period.
Spiritual necessity forced its rapid consolidation, and it is now so constituted that it forms a barrier between the physical and the astral plane.
389. Perhaps the early Atlantean race was more psychic than the later Atlantean race.
390. The barrier created was a deterrent to psychism and a method of promoting the development of the mind.
b. The preservation of the planetary web.
391. First the materialisation of the web and then the preservation of that which had been materialized.
This will be continued until the sixth round.
392. The web, we have been seeing, acts as a barrier to contact between the astral and physical planes. If during the fifth round the continual development of manas is required, one can see why the web would have to be preserved until the sixth round.
During this period spiritual evolution proceeds with a certain degree of planetary safety, for the web protects from certain solar influences, and acts largely as a sifter and a distributor of solar forces.
393. We see, however, that it is not only from astral influences that protection is needed but from certain unspecified “solar influences” which would not be helpful in the planetary evolutionary process. One wonders if these influences would relation to the Heart of the Sun.
394. The sixth round, the sixth
395. It becomes clear that it is necessary to sift a large number of influences which, if admitted, would overwhelm the evolutionary process.
396. We can also infer that by the time the sixth round supervenes, psychism of all kinds will be largely refined and human beings will be far more safely open to subtle influences (including highly refined astral influences) than is now the case.
c. The destruction of the web.
397. We have had the materialisation of the web, the preservation of the web and now the destruction of the web.
398. We gather that there are certain elemental lives (presumably working within the ethers) who are responsible for all three of these processes.
This takes place towards the end of planetary evolution,
399. Just as it does at the conclusion of a human incarnation.
thus permitting the escape of the imprisoned planetary life and the absorption of the life essence into its synthesiser.
400. We are discussing the phase of synthesizing which follows upon planetary obscuration.
401. Note how synthesis occurs: it is the “life essence” which is absorbed into the synthesiser—the appropriate synthesizing planet.
402. We have been assured that the physical nature of the planet to be synthesized is not absorbed into the synthesizing planet. In this section of text, we are told that it is “life essence” that is absorbed. We need to understand exactly what is comprised by “life essence”. Certainly, all the quality which has been gained and gathered by the Planetary Logos during His expression through the planet to be synthesized would be included in this “life essence”.
The process of destruction can only be described in the words perforation and disintegration.
403. When we think of perforation, we think of the dynamics of the first and fifth rays. Recall the manner in which the fifth ray soul proceeds with the destruction of the causal body. Perforation of the causal periphery is involved.
404. As for the first ray, its destructive nature ensures the possibility of release for the imprisoned planetary life.
4. The builders of the etheric body of the planetary Entity.
405. We have been describing a number of types of builders. Have we been proceeding in an ‘upward’ or ‘downward’ direction? It seems that we have been moving from building vehicles for specific life forms to the building of the general matrix from which those life forms are derived.
This great involutionary life must remain for many aeons a mystery.
406. Again, the definition of an “aeon” is left indeterminate. Presumably, we are dealing with developments yet to occur within this mahamanvantara though finality, as indicated below, must await the next solar system.
407. We are now definitely speaking of an involutionary life. Some of the elementals, it seems, are of an evolutionary nature.
408. Not only must we learn to discriminate finely between those builders who can be called devas and those which can only be called elementals, but we must discriminate between those elementals which are evolutionary and those forms of life (or essences?) which are only involutionary.
His etheric body is now in process of building, and only in another solar system will he assume definite physical form. Sufficient energy has not yet been generated to permit of his manifestation objectively. He remains as yet subjective. He has his solar correspondence. [Page 934]
409. The occultism here offered is almost impenetrable.
410. There is a great involutionary life called the “planetary Entity”. He has not yet assumed definite physical form and will only do so in the next (or “another”) solar system. Meanwhile, his etheric body is in process of being built.
411. We know there is a planetary Moon and also a “cosmic Moon”.
412. Now we learn that there is an involutionary “planetary Entity” and its higher correspondence, presumably, a ‘solar Entity’—no doubt also far from objective materialization.
413. We know that involutionary forces draw us backward and downward. Perhaps that is what it is practical to know about such Beings. There is nothing we can do about them and their tendencies. Their development is all part of a vast process uninfluenced by our will.
5. The builders of the planetary body.
414. This is the fifth category:
a. The builders of the human vehicle (in its dual aspect—etheric and dense?)
b. The builders of the forms in the three kingdoms of nature in their two divisions
c. The builders of the planetary etheric web
d. The builders of the etheric body of the planetary Entity
e. And now the builders of the planetary body
f. And shortly will come the builders of the etheric forms of all that man creates
415. As we work through this complicated material, we have to determine when the building is occurring upon etheric levels and when upon the dense physical subplanes.
416. Although we are in a section discussing etheric builders and building, there is also much here about the building of dense physical forms.
This proceeds under the same law as that of the solar system and of man, but, as in the solar system, it proceeds upon the higher planes.
417. Are we speaking here is building upon the higher etheric planes—the cosmic etheric planes?
418. What is the “planetary body”. If we think in cosmic terms, it must be the lower eighteen cosmic subplanes, our lowest eighteen systemic planes.
Students are here recommended to trace the relation between the solar and cosmic planes in this specific connection.
419. For every type of systemic building occurring upon the systemic dense physical plane, there is a type of cosmic building occurring upon the eighteen (or twenty-one) cosmic dense physical plane. The analogy should be quite exact.
6. The etheric doubles of all that man creates.
420. Finally we come to what is probably the lowest type of building and builder.
These are a special group of etheric builders who, under karma, are forced to act in conjunction with human beings.
421. How interesting that they are “forced” to work in conjunction with man.
422. Man creates many objects. It is his creative right and destiny to do so, and each of these creations must have its etheric counterpart.
423. It seems to be the fates of this group of builders to work with man in this creative process.
These are but a few out of the many groups possible to touch upon;
424. Clearly we are talking about a series of “etheric” builders. Ambiguity entered when we spoke of “seeing elementals” existing in the densest subplanes of the systemic physical plane, but the general theme and the continuity found in the tabulation, demonstrates that our subject definitely is etheric builders.
425. For all the many examples given (so many, over the course of the book, that we wonder if we can remember or assimilated them all), DK always assures us that there are far more examples that He has not mentioned.
it is needless further to enlarge, as no substantial profit will eventuate from the impartation of further information.
426. Although ‘insubstantial’ profit might arise. In given this information, DK must work under the Law of Economy.
Only the briefest indications can be given and touched upon.
427. DK is outlining for us a vast perspective on the pattern of our local cosmos. He must be most discriminate in regard to that which He offers for our consideration.
It is neither safe nor advisable as yet to impart to men knowledge anent the workers in etheric matter, which would enable them to contact them,
428. During the Aquarian Age (a seventh ray Age) our knowledge of these workers will grow and hopefully our wisdom will also grow.
nor is it wise as yet to link up coherently the scattered facts already given in different occult books.
429. Here we might have a problem. Students will proceed to seek greater light on these matters. Discretion is needed, however, in the manner in which these revelations are shared. The linking-up of information on these matters should not be indiscriminately shared with the general public.
Science is treading on the borderland of discovery, and trespassing already into the domain of the building devas. Caution is needed.
430. The use of the word “trespassing” is very interesting. It is as if the scientists are entering the devic domain uninvited, and yet we know that a closer interplay with the devas is and emerging part of the Divine Plan.
Yet if the hints given above are studied, if the various secrets of the builders are pondered upon, and if the esoteric side of Masonry is carefully and persistently meditated upon, the work of the Great Architect and His many assistants will stand forth in a clearer and a fuller light.
431. The “Great Architect” is the name given for the Third Ray Lord. In studying the devas, we have entered, principally, this third ray domain.
432. Masons are builders and the devas and elementals are builders. We can see why a study of esoteric Masonry (in which many secrets are revealed) would reveal much about the workings of the deva kingdom.
433. We are to—
a. Ponder on all the Master DK has given on these matter
b. Ponder on the various secrets of the builders
c. Meditate carefully and persistently on the esoteric side of Masonry
434. Then, we are told, revelation may come regarding the devas, and on a larger scale, regarding the Great Architect. The devas are His many assistants.
435. Remember that the Great Architect of the Universe is the Universal Third Ray Lord and thus controls, largely, the B/builders of all kinds.
One hint may here be given, forgetting not that the work is twofold:
436. For the twofoldness of the work we must search…
The construction of the tabernacle, or the building of the temporary forms is the work of the Divine Carpenter,
437. These forms are the ever changing vehicles of the reincarnating soul.
438. Creating the personality and its vehicles is the work of the “Divine Carpenter”.
439. It is not to be forgotten that Jesus was a carpenter. We may associate the “Carpenter” with Capricorn and the third ray. Is Christ, the, the “Master Builder”?
whilst the building of the
440. Builders of the causal body
441. The greater builders of the
442. However, it must not be forgotten, that the “Architect” is largely upon the third ray and as the “Master Builder” or “Great Geometrician” is upon the second.
443. From the solar logoic perspective, the Great Architect is a cosmic Being, and so, under His supervision would surely come the building of the causal body of man.
One concerns operative, and the other speculative Masonry in the true esoteric significance of the word. [Page 935]
444. Here is a marvellous distinction which will mean much to those who practice in the Masonic Lodges of the world.
445. Operative Masonry concerns activity and the third aspect of divinity.
446. Speculative Masonry concerns consciousness and the second aspect of divinity.
The devas who form the etheric doubles of all objects out of their own substance must also be considered.
447. These “devas”, we must infer, form a group additional to those which have already been discussed.
448. The sixth group of devas formed the etheric body of all the man creates. But there are also other objects which are not man-made. Is it these objects of which DK is speaking?
These builders are the sumtotal of all physical plane substance,
449. Presumably, not manipulators of substance…
450. Substance, we must recall, is not matter in its densest form.
and constitute the matter of the etheric levels of the physical plane.
451. It is statements like the one above which can produce confusion in our minds if we are not careful.
452. DK is speaking of the “devas” who are matter/substance.
453. We must ask, “Should they be called ‘devas’ at all?” Should they not be called “elemental essence”? Or, in the highest grade, “monadic essence”.
454. We have to discriminate three orders of lives:
c. Elemental substance or essence, the substantial “material” of which all forms are to be built.
455. We have already discussed the evident overlaps in terminology. We see such overlapping when DK calls devas the “sumtotal of all physical plane substance”.. “the matter of the etheric levels of the physical plane”.
They exist, therefore, in four groups, and each group has a curious karmic relation to one of the four kingdoms in nature:
Group. Plane. Kingdom.
456. We are considered four groups of such ‘substantial’ ‘devas’.
457. Each of the four groups is associated with one of the kingdoms.
458. What is being said is that the substance of the life-forms in the four kingdoms is distinct.
459. Basically, we are speaking of the grades of etheric substance.
The substance of the highest physical form of a human being is therefore atomic. The Master's physical body is made of atomic matter,
460. If the Master has a physical body, it is an etheric body and is part of a mayavirupa. Upon this will-created etheric body, the Master can build a dense physical vehicle.
and when He wishes to materialise it on the dense physical plane, He forms a sheath of gaseous substance upon that atomic matter, perfect in its delineation of all the known physical traits.
461. Here we have some of the most explicit information on the formation of the mayavirupa.
462. We see the gaseous body as a most necessary intermediary between the etheric body and the densest levels of the dense physical body.
463. Usually when thinking of gas we think of that which is amorphous and diffuse, yet according to the Tibetan the sheath of gaseous matter which the Master forms upon etheric atomic matter is “perfect in its delineation of all the known physical traits”. In other words, it must be a perfect replica of the body to be materialized.
The substance of the highest form of animal body is that of the second ether,
464. Does this tell us something about domestic animals with “heart” or, in general, about animals with heart?
and herein is to be found a clue as to the relation between all sea and watery forms to the animal.
465. The second ether has resonance with the second plane from ‘below” the astral plane.
466. It also has resonance to the second or liquid subplane of dense physical matter.
467. Perhaps the Tibetan is alluding to the thought that animal life emerged. from the sea.
468. The astral plane is ruled by both Mars (the ruler of the animal kingdom) and by Neptune, the ruler of the sea. We see the connection.
469. We note that in astrology, a number of the animals have the tail of fish- the Capricornian “sea goat” and the combined animal form which shows the head of a ram with the tail of a fish.
The highest form of body possible for the vegetable form of life is that of the third ether.
470. All is sequential and progressive.
471. Interestingly, the third ether is to be associated with the throat center and with the color green, the color prominent above all in the vegetable kingdom, and linking it to the previous solar system.
These facts will be demonstrated in the seventh round when the present three kingdoms of nature—the human, the animal, and the vegetable will objectively exist in etheric matter; that will be for them their densest manifestation.
472. We are being offered a picture of the etherealization of the kingdoms of nature on our planet.
473. The life waves in these three kingdoms will have turned ‘upward’ and dense physical matter will no longer be needed for their life demonstration.
474. Again, we see the relation between the seventh ray (seventh round) and the ethers, for it is only in that round that etherealization will have occurred.
475. One is led to speculate whether what we presently call dense physical matter will be needed at all in the next solar system.
The mineral kingdom will find its highest manifestation in matter of the fourth ether, and this transmutation is already taking place, for all the radioactive substances now being discovered are literally becoming matter of the fourth ether.
476. VSK remarks: “This is quite a hint, that the matter of the fourth ether is at least partially composed of radioactive material.”
477. Radioactive minerals are the highest manifestation of that kingdom. Transmutation of the mineral kingdom means that its highest examples are becoming radioactive and are etherealizing.
478. The highest members of the mineral kingdom are, therefore, from the strictly physical perspective, decomposing. Their composition (as we usually perceive that composition) is disintegrating, and a new locus of expression is found.
The mineral kingdom is relatively nearing its possible manvantaric perfection,
479. We must think of “manvantaric perfection” as related to a round or “Day of Brahma”.
480. DK is not talking about any kind of complete perfection but only a “possible” perfection.
481. There will be other manvantaras and greater perfection will be possible in the, let us say, the fifth round than had been possible in the fourth.
482. Of course, if by “manvantara” DK is alluding to a scheme-round, then, perhaps, in this fourth scheme round the mineral kingdom is actually reaching “manvantaric perfection”.
and by the time the seventh round is reached all mineral lives (not forms) [Page 936] will have been transferred to another planet. This will not be so with the other three kingdoms.
483. These are simply amazing statements.
484. Our planet will enter a state of obscuration. Mineral forms may remain in the seventh round, but the inner lives will have been transferred to another planet.
485. One gets the sense that the planet Vulcan is part of this transference. From Vulcan have come certain lives to gain experience on Earth—so we may hypothesize.
486. The mineral kingdom, therefore, will not be of great moment in the seventh round. It is well nigh reaching perfection in this round.
The etheric deva substance is acted upon in two ways:
487. DK is still speaking of substance or “material”, i.e., of “building essence”..
It is awakened into a specific activity by the sounding of the physical plane word, and it is built into forms by the lesser builders.
488. We are speaking of the manner in which etheric devic substance responds to the influences which ‘move’ it:
a. It is awakened by the sounding of the word for the physical plane
b. It is built into forms by the lesser builders.
489. Again we see that it is indispensable to distinguish matter/substance (or as DK has it here, “etheric deva substance”) from the lesser builders.
490. This type of discrimination must always be on our minds if we are to avoid confusion.
It will, therefore, be apparent that it comes under the influence of two types of force or energy.
491. This will be discussed in the next commentary.