Fellowship of Cosmic Fire
Commentary Semester VII Section IX
TCF 840-843 : S7S9, Part I
18 July – 1 August 2008
(Most of the Tibetan’s text is put in font 16, to provide better legibility when projected during classes. Footnotes and references from other AAB Books and from other pages of TCF are put in font 14. Commentary appears in font 12. Underlining, Bolding and Highlighting by MDR)
It is suggested that this Commentary be read with the TCF book handy, for the sake of continuity. As analysis of the text is pursued, many paragraphs are divided, and the compact presentation in the book, itself, will convey the overall meaning of the paragraph. So please read an entire paragraph and then study the
(c) The Names of the Egoic Lotuses. We might consider briefly the work of forming the egoic lotus on its own plane;
1. This plane is, of course, the higher mental plane.
this is as the result of the work of the Agnishvattas,
2. The Agnishvattas form the egoic lotus on the higher mental plane. They do so by substantially substanding the substance there already to be found.
3. The Agnishvattas are, we remember, “solar Lords”, “Solar Pitris” and Solar Angels. While attempts are made to discriminate the meaning of these different names, in most cases they are interchangeable.
4. In the following, from TCF 869, the names are discriminated in relation to the three tiers of petals.
c. …The third group of solar Pitris affected. (First Tier)…
c. …The second group of solar Lords affected. (Second Tier)…
c. …The first group of solar Angels affected. (Third Tier) (TCF 869)…
5. Obviously, this use of differentiated words cannot be accidental. We have to examine carefully whether DK generalizes the use of these words (as a rule) or whether He remains consistent. Here the use is most specific. Elsewhere it may be generalized.
after its segregation in space,
6. The higher mental plane is still within the world of time and space. It is difficult to know exactly when perception can move beyond time and space—perhaps (in a limited sense) once the cosmic ethers become the focus of perception, yet even the cosmic ethers are cosmically physical second, hence, cosmically considered within the worlds of time and space. Indeed, time and space are categories of perception.
and the formation of its ring-pass-not.
7. We have gathered that the formation of the initial form of the egoic lotus is not an instantaneous happening, but occur over long cycles.
We have touched upon the remotest and earliest stages.
8. This is the stage during which the “bud lotus” is formed. It seems to precede the exact moment of individualization.
One point we have not yet emphasised but which is of interest to the thoughtful student. This is the fact of the difference existing between the egoic bodies owing to their varying stages of development.
This process of forming the egoic lotus has gone on silently from the moment that the lower animal man, or the lower four principles, had reached a point where the energy (generated by him) could begin to make itself felt on mental levels. (TCF 768)
9. We have discussed this difference egoic lotuses frequently throughout these commentaries and during various classes.
10. The differences between egoic bodies are seen and understood by the Masters when They assess the development of an individual.
For instance, up till the middle of the Atlantean rootrace 68 [S.D., I, 196] (when the door of individualisation was closed),
11. We may presume that this occurred during the 4.5 (or perhaps, 4.4) section of Atlantean development. During 4.3 (the third sub-race of the Atlantean rootrace) it is inferred that the door to many Moon-chain Egos was opened.
12. As the subtone was the third, progressive activity in the animal kingdom (the third kingdom) must have been considerable.
Egos were to be seen at many differing stages from the newly organised "buds," representing freshly individualised men,
13. The process of individualization was still actively occurring.
14. The word “freshly” suggests individualization as a living, organic process.
15. The formation of “bud-Egos” now no longer occurs. We are not told exactly when the “door of individualization” was closed, but we can imagine that it may well have been in the fifth sub-section of the Atlantean root race (4.5), when it may be presumed that the process of initiation was made available to spiritually capable Atlanteans.
to the highly developed causal bodies of the different disciples and initiates, who were superintending the evolution of the race.
16. The fourth initiation could be taken in Atlantean days, and so, presumably, the full-blown egoic lotus could be seen.
17. Masters do not have causal bodies and, thus, technically, should not be included among the “initiates” here mentioned. Yet, it should not be suggested that Masters were not at that time also involved in superintending the race. Just as is the case today, it appears that lesser initiates and disciples were very much involved in guiding the race.
18. VSK states and questions: “This mid-Atlantean individualisation door refers to the time when animals were segregated from humans, at 4.4 – the midway point (in the Earth-cycle of 7 rounds). But, does the Earth-scheme complete its process in five rounds and not seven?)
19. May it be suggested in the attempt to address VSK’s inquiry that the situation on Venus (a planet which is completing its evolution in five scheme-rounds and not seven) is highly unusual. In TCF, significant developments are predicted for the Earth-scheme’s sixth and seventh rounds. It is, thus, highly unlikely that the Earth will parallel the shortened developmental trajectory of Venus though, originally, a shortened period may have been part of the Divine Plan.
20. VSK further states and questions: “The World Period referred to in EA 34-35, and in Earth Scheme/Moon chain configuration TCF charts, etc., is rootrace 3.5 to 5.5. Was this, then, a time of the transition from deva/lunar to human/soul; the mitosis of non-individualized animal men to ‘buds’?
21. A period which began in the fifth sub-race of the third rootrace seems a propitious time for individualization. The number five would provide a ‘resonant opportunity’ for the coming in the Lords of the Flame, the nature of whom corresponds closely with the number five.
22. It is presumed that VSK is speaking of rootrace and sub-race development and not of rounds. If she is speaking of rounds the question will have to be addressed differently. We would be dealing with the period dating from the individualization of animal man on the Moon-chain to the period of the "Judgment Day" in the middle of the fifth round.
23. However, fresh individualization is to occur even in the next chain, the occurrence of which has to be calculated in terms of scheme-rounds.
24. Thus, there are two periods involved: one which dates from the middle of the third rootrace and lasts until the "Judgment Day"; and the other which begins earlier (in the fifth sub-race of the third rootrace of the Moon-chain and lasts at least until developments upon the Mercury-chain, in the sixth race of its second chain-round.
25. Simply to know when ‘ego budding’ occurs on our fourth chain is not the same as knowing when it will occur within the Earth-scheme (on chains other than our own).
26. VSK further questions: “Does this suggest the new humanity, the ‘buds’ at that time, over one full rootrace ago (5.5 – 4.4) were ‘men’ just one step removed from animal consciousness?”
27. It does make sense to think of the “buds” as one step removed from animal consciousness.
28. VSK continues: “If so, were these animal individualizers at that time the four we know of? (Elephants, for 1st ray souls; Dogs, for 2nd ray; Cats, for 3rd; and Horses for 6th ray souls?)
29. This is a very interesting question. We recall that after the cycle of Lemurian individualization, another period occurred with the Atlantean period. Because we are dealing with the fourth rootrace, can we presume that the time of the most active individualization of animals occurred during the fourth subsection of that race? If we did, then following the analogy, the fifth subsection of the Aryan race would be the time indicated for many human beings to enter the fifth kingdom, just as animal individualizers entered the fourth.
30. From one perspective we could gather that the four types of animals listed were the four most probable as candidates for entry into the human kingdom. We cannot, however, say with certainty that there were not other type of animal candidates.
31. It must be remarked that elephants are on the first subray of the second ray, and that no truly first ray animals exist at this time, and probably did not exist at the time of Atlantean individualization.
32. We could question why lions and tigers might not be included. Frequently, when referring to human beings who are power types, Master M. calls them “lions” or “tigers”. Many first ray Monads individualized in Atlantean times (rather than in Lemurian times) but, in their own way, lions and tigers are just as developed today as are dogs, cats, elephants and horses. So it might be inferred that the prototypes of these animals (at the time when these prototypes were individualized) were equally developed.
33. Another point, however, is up for consideration. No human being can individualize as a first, second or third ray soul. So, the fact that dogs are fundamentally upon the second ray does not mean that when they become human beings they will be second ray souls. The newly individualized human being can be only upon the fourth, fifth, sixth or seventh rays.
Now the egoic bodies might be grouped from the evolutionary standpoint as follows:
On the third subplane of the mental plane:
34. This is the lowest subplane of the higher mental plane and the one on which egoic lotuses are first to be found. When the egoic lotus is first formed, it is formed on this subplane.
35. We can infer what is said that there are various ways of grouping egoic bodies. Grouping by rays and astrological conditioning (on the soul level) are probably other ways.
36. We note that a terminology related to the development of plants is used to describe the development of the human being. The human being is sometimes called the “Saptaparna”—the “sevenfold plant”.
Our planetary scheme, being at the midway point in its evolution, there are therefore no unopened "buds" strictly speaking.
37. When individualization continues within our planetary chain during the fifth round (presumably the fifth chain round) will there be no “buds” “strictly speaking”?
38. Yet, will there not be “Bud Egos” when individualization occurs in the sixth rootrace of the second round of the Mercury-chain?
39. Could DK be referring to development within our fourth chain-round? At least we can find it logical that during the rest of the development of our present round there will be no more unopened buds “strictly speaking”.
40. What is said here about our planetary scheme being at its “midway point” should be compared with a similar statement on TCF 384.
All the egoic lotuses have at least one petal open.
41. We may inquire whether that petal is fully open. To say that all egoic lotuses have one petal “open” does not suggest the extent to which that petal is open.
All the lotuses are organised,
42. Again, to say that “all the lotuses are organised” does not necessarily suggest that all the nine petals of all egoic lotuses are completely organised. It seems (from what is said when describing egoic lotus development) that organization of petals is a gradual and successive matter.
43. As the petals are initially formed (‘within bud’ as it were) there would have to be a type of organization of the petals preceding their unfoldment, but it does not seem that this is the type of organization-formation to which DK is referring.
but there are vast differences among those of small development, [Page 841] showing forth in the brilliancy of the permanent atoms, and in the stage of petal unfoldment.
44. These are, apparently, the two foremost criteria to determine the degree of unfoldment of egoic lotuses.
Brahmic lotuses in which the first or knowledge petal is fully unfolded.
45. DK advises us that egoic lotuses are to be found at many stages of unfoldment, including, presumably, many transitional and overlapping stages. The types and stages here discussed, therefore, are to be understood as indicating certain large and significant categories. The many possible distinctions within such categories are not discussed and, probably, are so numerous that they cannot be discussed in any detail.
46. We note that the term “Brahmic” suggests the third aspect of divinity which is that aspect undergoing development in the early stages of petal unfoldment.
47. When we read that for “Brahmic lotuses” the “first or knowledge petal is fully unfolded”, we may infer that there are lotuses for which the first petal is partially unfolded.
They are so called as they represent on the physical plane the fully active intelligent unity,
48. Even at this early stage, the man is considered fully active. He cannot, however, be considered fully intelligent.
49. The life-focus of such lotuses (i.e., of the human beings representing such lotuses) is, of course, the physical plane.
the man of small mental development, the lowest type of workers, agriculturists, and peasants on every continent.
50. Such human beings perform physical work, but not mental work, per se, even though they are endowed with a functioning mind.
51. The various egoic lotuses here listed should be compared with the type of human souls discussed in EP II, 203-207 and with the eight “Stages of Adaptation” found in EP I, 323-326.
52. The meaning of the term “agriculturalists” has changed considerably since this text was written. DK appears to be speaking of those who can work only with their hands and feet and who are not capable of skilled physical labor.
53. A definite ‘material heaviness’ is suggested in the description of the Brahmic Lotuses.
54. We note that this type of human being is found “on every continent”. Their wide distribution should be noted.
They are also called "third class creators,"
55. VSK inquires whether their low degree of development also makes of them “third class citizens”.
56. We will note, in connection with this type of egoic lotus, that the number three is constantly repeated. The number three obviously suggests the material aspect of divinity.
as they express themselves only through the act of physical creation on the physical plane,
57. This is an important statement as it differentiates the type of creation of which Brahmic Lotuses are capable from the more advanced artistic, aesthetic creation of which the next category of lotuses is capable.
58. We note the limiting implications of the word “only”.
and their function is largely to provide vehicles for those of their own group.
59. Strong sacral center development is suggested. Many incarnations are required before human beings of this category can rise to the next level. Thus, many repeated incarnations as Brahmic Lotuses are required. This requires the constant availability of bodies, presumably sturdy if unrefined.
60. It seems to be suggested that higher orders of Egos would not be inclined to incarnate in the type of bodies provided by Brahmic Lotuses through their reproductive process.
61. Though not much is said about these lotuses, much more can be gathered from DK’s other discussions on the stages of human development, especially from the pages recommended above.
62. A book on the Egoic Lotus is in process of preparation and will focus on important details concerning major developmental stages, as well as on the energies and forces involved in the processes which characterize the development of the various types of lotuses and of the various types of petals.
The lotuses of Brahman,
63. We note that a word based on the root “Brahm” is again used. This suggests a continuing emphasis upon the third aspect of divinity.
64. The term “Brahman”, in other contexts, suggests the ABSOLUTE BEING—the ONE from WHOM the God “Brahma” (and all others Gods) derives.
in which the second petal is showing signs of opening
65. We should remember that the developmental stages of “organization” and “vitalization” precede the stage of petal “opening”.
66. From what is here said, we may gather that for “Lotuses of Brahman”, the second petal has been both organized and vitalized, as it shows signs of opening.
67. This may not mean that it is truly open, but only “showing signs” of opening. DK’s words must be watched very carefully. We must beware of jumping to conclusions.
68. In His descriptions of various egoic lotuses, we find that DK leaves out certain stages. He does not, for instance, describe any group of lotuses in which only the first two petals are open, and so it goes with other categories of egoic lotus. He leaves much to our inference and intuition.
and the second aspect in its lowest manifestation is showing signs of demonstration.
69. It is fitting that the second aspect of divinity should express through the second petal. It is to be noted, however, that only the “lowest manifestation” of the second aspect is expressing. It is that aspect which is still deeply concerned with and imbedded in form.
They stand as representing certain groups of Egos from certain planetary schemes, notably Jupiter and Venus,
70. It can be presumed that (at least from one perspective) the term “Egos”, as here used, means “Monads”. The egoic lotuses here described are those of Earth-chain humanity. Individualization for these Egos took place within the Earth-chain—at least this is one line of interpretation. Following this line, they would not have entered the Earth-chain with several petals unfolded, which was the case for many of the Moon-chain Egos. Following another line of interpretation, however, they may have entered with one petal open or in process of opening.
71. DK is not telling us that such Egos came exclusively from Jupiter and Venus, but only “notably” so. This means that the majority of the Lotuses of Brahman was from these two planets.
72. Such an origin accord with the Law of Correspondences, as each of these planets is strongly characterized by the second ray of Love-Wisdom—Venus hypothetically in its personality and monadic aspect, and Jupiter in at least its soul aspect. Such Egos would naturally have a close connection with an aspect of form through which the second ray could demonstrate with relative ease.
73. Of course, it should not necessarily be inferred that Egos from Jupiter and Venus did not pass through the stages of “Bud Ego” and “Brahmic Lotus”. It is simply that their nature is resonantly correlated with the qualities to be expressed through the second petal.
74. Such Egos surely passed through such earlier stages. The question remains however whether this passage was made within the Earth-scheme or upon their planet of origin.
75. In case we had wondered, this section of text makes it clear that Egos originating on other planets are probably to be found within our Earth-scheme—at least this is one reasonable conclusion. We must learn to distinguish between those Egos which truly originated within the Earth-scheme (if such actually do exist) and those which originated on other planetary schemes. In a way, all Monads originate within our Sun (i.e., within the Heart of the Sun or the Central Spiritual Sun) and, so it may be inferred, from beyond.
who are a grade higher than the class above,
76. All evolution is graded and evolutionary progress is gradual.
but which have as yet a long way to go.
77. Millions of years are spent unfolding the first tier of petals.
78. Since there are many human beings who have only the first two petals unfolded or in process of unfoldment, DK is telling us that the majority of humanity has “a long way to go”.
79. Let us take note of the phrase “they stand as representing”. We should not pass over it lightly. In connection with this phrase we must ask:
a. Are Egos from Venus and Jupiter actually to be found within out Earth-scheme?
b. Or do these Egos (which are really Earth-scheme Egos) merely represent Egos that are found on Jupiter and Venus, having with such extra-planetary Egos a magnetic connection?
c. Or are there some Egos from Venus and Jupiter which have come to our Earth-scheme, these Egos being representatives of groups of Egos which still remain on Venus and Jupiter and are still developing there? This last solution may offer the real explanation. Indeed, from what is said (later) about Primary Lotuses, it seems unquestionable that Egos from other planets are to be found within our Earth-scheme.
80. VSK inquires: “Why would these beneficent schemes signify only the second most evolved of individualized bud men? Must it be that these are the most retarded of the Jupiter and Venus schemes? Would they still have such tardy fellows?”
81. This is an interesting question. With regard to Venus, it is possible that the “Lotuses of Brahman” on our planet which are of Venusian origin are relatively retarded Egos from the Venusian perspective.
82. With regard to Jupiter, its unfoldment is behind that of Venus (though its essential spiritual status is not) and even behind that of Earth. Such is usually the case for those planets which, like Jupiter, represent one of the higher chakras, just as the full development of the higher chakras in the human energy system comes after the development of the lower chakras.
83. We cannot know, however, whether there might not be found within our Earth-scheme certain more highly unfolded Egos also from Venus and perhaps from Jupiter.
84. From another perspective, we know that the majority of second ray Monads are farther behind in their development than the majority of third ray Monads. Third ray Monads, it may be presumed, predominated in the solar system preceding ours and, thus, have had far more time to unfold the egoic lotuses which represent them.
85. If we think carefully, we will realize that it is far more likely that second ray Monads predominate on the Venus and Jupiter schemes. With regard to the emergence of humanity on our Earth-scheme, such Monads would more naturally have individualized in Lemuria (where 75% of individualizing Monads were on the second ray). Thus, finding monadic representatives from Jupiter and Venus within the more primitive Earth-chain Egos is to be expected.
86. VSK inquires: “What are the schemes from which the buds and Brahmic Lotuses originate?”
87. This is a good question and one that it is not easy to answer. As earlier stated, we cannot suggest that Egos from Jupiter and Venus did not at one point pass through the stage of “Bud Ego” or “Brahmic Lotus” (whether on our planet or on their planet of origin). In fact, it seems natural that they would do so.
88. Presuming that Earth-scheme Monads came originally from other planets, we may imagine that they did so long before the period of their individualization began. Perhaps all human Monads are originally from other planets.
89. The Egos/Monads from Venus, Jupiter and (later as we will see) Vulcan, however, may be more recent ‘transplants’. Almost certainly, this is true for those from Vulcan.
90. If (excluding Moon-chain Monads) we think of Monads which were not ‘recent transplants’, we might (for practical purposes) think of them as Earth-scheme Monads (even if originally they came from elsewhere). Even Moon-chain Monads could be considered as coming originally from elsewhere—for the Moon-chain was in the Earth-scheme. Perhaps, even on the Moon-chain, some Monads had relatively recently come from other planets and were, relative to that earlier chain, ‘recent transplants’. We cannot know at this time.
91. It may be that Monads (now forming part of the centers of our Planetary Logos of the Earth-scheme) which were originally from all the planets, undertook individualization in the Earth-scheme but only some of them were relatively recent transplants—i.e., Monads/Egos which ‘came in’ to our planetary scheme approximately at the time individualization was to occur. We must remember that the existence of the Monad far antedates the point in evolution at which it individualizes. Those taking individualization on the Moon-chain or in Lemuria could have been present on the monadic plane of the Earth-chain for many ages before descending to take individualization.
92. It does seem that Vulcanian Egos (inferentially those who comprise the “Primary Lotuses”) could be called ‘recent transplants’ because they entered as Egos with some degree of petal unfoldment.
93. From what is said about Egos from Venus and Jupiter, however, we cannot be sure that they entered with any petal unfoldment or whether they simply were incoming Monads (whether much earlier in Earth-scheme history or proximate to the time of Lemurian individualization) who individualized within the Earth-scheme and upon the Earth-chain. Entry from Venus and Jupiter with the first petal unfolded is a possibility, in which case such Egos would have entered the Earth-scheme/Earth-chain as Egos and not just as Monads waiting to be individualized.
94. In summary:
a. Monads from many different planetary schemes could have entered our Earth-scheme long ago—long before their individualization. In fact, all Monads which are found within the Earth-scheme could originally have come from sacred planets and, before that, from our Sun (i.e., from the Heart of the Sun or the Central Spiritual Sun).
b. In this case, any type of Monad (originally from another sacred planet) could become on Earth a “Bud Ego” or develop into a “Brahmic Lotus” etc.
c. However, there could also be what we can call ‘recent transplants’. Such would be:
i. Very partially developed Egos from Vulcan and, perhaps, from Mercury.
ii. Egos coming in “notably” from Venus and Jupiter and having one petal unfolded. This would mean that they had actually individualized on Venus or Jupiter instead of on our planet.
iii. Egos (really Monads) coming in from Venus and Jupiter but not yet individualized. Their individualization would occur within the Earth-scheme, but they would carry the Venus or Jupiter vibration.
iv. These Venus or Jupiter Monads would (because of their relatively ‘recent arrival’) be distinguished from Venus or Jupiter Monads who might have come far earlier in the Earth-scheme’s development. (Of course, we still have to determine the exact meaning of “representing”. We have a theory, as stated above, but it might not be correct.)
d. In any case, we can say with fair confidence that:
i. Monads found within the Earth-scheme almost certainly have their origin on other planets, probably sacred planets, which, we may infer, endure for a longer time within the great mahamanvantara of the Solar Logos. Under this assumption, the emergence into manifestation of the sacred planets antedated the emergence into manifestation of the Earth.
ii. Some Egos came into the Earth-chain as Egos. This is definitely the case with the Moon-chain Egos (often with several egoic petals developed), and seems definitely to be the case with Vulcanian Egos (relative to the Earth-scheme, though we discuss them in relation to the Earth-chain.)
e. Pre-formed Egos may also have come from Venus and Jupiter. If so, their ‘Egoity’ (i.e., the formation of their egoic lotus) would carry the quality of their planet.
i. Since these Egos are discussed largely in relation to the present “Lotuses of Brahman”, we may infer that many of the present “Lotuses of Brahman” have Venusian or Jupiterian origin, but not necessarily all, as all “Bud Egos” have eventually to pass through the stage of “Lotus of Brahman”.
ii. On the other hand, when DK speaks of “Egos” coming in from Venus and Jupiter, He may, after all, really mean “Monads” (and not pre-formed Egos) in which case, such Monads would individualize within the Earth-scheme and develop normally through the stages of “Bud Ego” and “Brahmic Lotus”. At present however, the majority of those within the stage of “Lotuses of Brahman” would have a Venusian or Jupiterian origin.
iii. It may be that when, in Lemuria, the time for individualization came, many of those who undertook it were Monads from Venus and Jupiter, or, that of the Monads who individualized in Lemuria, the ones who were from Venus and Jupiter (or who represented Egos from Venus or Jupiter) are presently largely found within that group called “Lotuses of Brahman”.
95. We can see that the matter is somewhat complex and that many possibilities lie behind apparently simple and straightforward statements by the Tibetan.
96. DK has hinted that the whole matter of monadic origin is a very abstruse subject.
97. Perhaps we are interested in tracing our own monadic origin. We certainly have one and, ultimately and originally, it is most probable that the origin of our Monad is not within the Earth-scheme.
They are called "second class creators," for though they demonstrate on the physical plane in the act of physical creation,
98. For them the sacral center necessarily remains very active. They are strongly associated with the energy of Taurus which, in its lower expression, has a strong sacral effect.
yet they are more swayed by love than by animal instinct as in the first case.
99. The phrase “swayed by love” is very important when thinking of the nature and character of such human beings.
100. Although the second petal is only “showing signs of opening”, such lotus types are more “swayed by love” than strictly by animal instinct.
101. We can see that love develops relatively early in the human evolutionary process.
102. We also gather the importance of both Venus and Jupiter in the development of love within the human being.
They are to be found incarnating at this time in the Orient, particularly in
Indiaand in the Latin countries, and just lately in America.
103. The personality of
Indiais found on the fourth ray and the Latin countries have a definite two-four-six ray emphasis.
104. “The Orient” may, however, include
Chinawhich has very little soft line emphasis. It does, however, have a soul conditioned by the sign Taurus, and we have already noted the relation of Taurus to the development of the second petal. This reason, however, may not be sufficient as other countries which do not have a great representation of “Lotuses of Brahman” also have a strong Taurus emphasis (such as Canada).
105. It is probably the tremendous influx of immigrants into
America, at the close of the 19th century and beginning of the 20th, which accounted for the greatly increased incarnation of “Lotuses of Brahman” in . America
106. By “
America”, it seems that DK means the United Statesand not Latin America which, we can infer, had a great number of “Lotuses of Brahman” for millenia. Presumably, South America and are included in what DK calls the “Latin Countries”. Are Mexico Italyand to be included? Spain
107. Although Lotuses of Brahman are plentiful upon our planet, they are still less plentiful than the fifth category of souls (cf. EP II, 205) which constitutes the “bulk of modern humanity at this time”. Of course, it is necessary to understanding what DK means by modern humanity. Does He mean all human beings found upon our planet at this time, or only those who are relatively more advanced in terms of civilized development.
108. We can assume that those who have fully two petals open or some third petal development as well, constitute the bulk of modern humanity.
Primary lotuses. These are a group of special interest brought in under the influence of the Lord of the fifth Ray,
109. The “Lord of the fifth Ray”, in this instance, may be the fifth Ray Lord within the Earth-scheme. It may also be a particular Planetary Logos (perhaps the Logos of Mercury or Venus), but there are problems in considering either one as the “Lord of the fifth Ray” in this particular context.
110. The planet of origin for the types of lotuses here discussed is very probably Vulcan, but we cannot really consider Vulcan as the “Lord of the fifth Ray”, although Vulcan is closely associated with the mineral kingdom as are many souls upon the fifth ray.
and therefore fundamentally allied to the energy which is the special manifestation in this system and the basis of all achievement, that is, manas.
111. DK is speaking of a fundamental alliance between these types of Egos and the energy of manas.
112. Venus is a planet the influence of which is directed particularly to the vegetable kingdom. The influence of Mercury is particularly upon the human kingdom. Its influence is particularly mental. The influence of Vulcan, however, is very material and concerns the mineral kingdom particularly.
113. Let us notice the relationship between manas and achievement. Will (the propelling force behind achievement) works through manas. Manas and will are, from all the Tibetan has said, quite inseparable.
They were quiescent during the Atlantean root-race but have come in during the fourth and fifth subraces of this rootrace.
114. We are told that “Primary Lotuses” were “quiescent” during the Atlantean root race. Does this mean that they were already ‘here’ (on our planet) but “quiescent” (not expressing) or that they simply were not ‘here’ (but still within and upon their planet of origin) coming in as Egos only during the Aryan root race.
115. Interestingly, they came in not only the fifth sub-race of our present (fifth) rootrace, but also during the fourth. The fourth subrace (the Celtic) must necessarily have been partially under the fourth ray planet Mercury, and Mercury is a very mental planet. So the entry of this very mental/physical group is appropriate during the fourth sub-race.
116. The numbers most logically associated with Mercury are three, four and five. It is fitting, then, that the entry of Primary Lotuses be during sub-race four and five, though one could question why they did not enter during sub-race three. Perhaps is it because of their close relation with Vulcan (most probably their planet of origin)—Vulcan having only indirect relation to the third ray.
They are a group a good deal more advanced than the earlier classes
117. This includes both “Brahmic Lotuses” and “Lotuses of Brahman”. Probably another class of lotuses than which the Primary Lotuses are more advanced consists of those we might call ‘Atlantean Lotuses’, having, presumably, two petals open to a great extent.
but need much to develop the second petal.
118. We have already seen that the energy of love is clearly associated with the second petal.
119. We remember that one of the projects of development in the second petal phase was to transform “love of self into love of others” (TCF 539), so the potential for the expression of a relatively pure love (through form) exists in relation to this second petal.
With them the first and the third petals in the first circle are opening,
120. We note—the first and third petals “are opening” but not are not fully opened. The full opening of the first tier of petals signifies the moment of an earlier type of initiation preceding the great manasic initiations (beginning with the Birth of the Christ in the Heart).
121. One would expect that the first petal would be fully open in such rather advanced human types (i.e., in the transplanted “Primary Lotuses”). There may, however, be some types of first petal response which were not fully developed upon their planet of origin, especially response which involves rapid activity.
but the middle petal is yet shut.
122. That the middle petal is “shut” does not mean that it is not somewhat organized. The implication below, however, is that the middle petal of the first tier (if somewhat organized, which is not certain) is not “vitalised”. In the usual sequence of unfoldment “vitalization” follows “organisation”.
123. If Vulcan is the planet of origin for Primary Lotuses, it should be remember that it represents the Heart of the Sun (but the soft-line energy of Vulcan is found principally in the very highest reaches of its energy system). The lower aspects of Vulcan appear to be on the hard line involving the fifth and seventh rays in relation to the personality vehicles and the first ray in relation to its soul.
The middle tier also shows no signs of vitality.
124. The word “also” suggests (as mentioned above) that the second petals of the first tier (even if “organised”) has not been “vitalised”.
125. The entire middle tier is, we remember, a love tier.
126. We can question whether DK is differentiating between “organisation” and “vitalisation”. Could the middle tier of some Primary Lotuses be in process of organization but not of vitalization. Or is He simply using the term “vitality” in a general way, indicating that neither “organisation” or “vitalisation” are proceeding?
Owing [Page 842] to conditions in their emanating planet,
127. …hypothesized to be Vulcan.
128. We note the word “emanating”. In this context, it probably means simply ‘the planet from which those Egos, who manifest on Earth as Primary Lotuses, came forth”.
129. The process of emanation probably has much to do with the manner in which such Egos reached the Earth-scheme.
their development has been one-sided,
130. This is the very thing which cannot be permitted indefinitely.
131. What such planetary conditions were, we cannot know. It is interesting, however, that tutelage on other planets can be used to supplement an incomplete developmental process occurring on any particular planet.
132. If Vulcanian Egos can be sent to Earth for “rounding out”, perhaps Earth-scheme Egos can be sent to Venus, or Martian to the Earth-scheme or to other schemes.
and hence their entering on a wave of energy into this scheme in order to "round" themselves out, as it is called.
133. So, when Egos are transferred from one scheme to another, they enter “on a wave of energy”. The whole process is naturally purposeful.
134. While we are dealing largely with specific Egos and groups of Egos, the process involved depends upon a purposeful relationship between the Planetary Logoi in Whom these Egos find their originating and transitional placement. For example, the Logos of the Vulcan-scheme and that of the Earth-scheme would have to have been in collaboration for such an egoic transfer to occur.
They may be seen in the purely intellectual selfish scientific type.
135. The implication is that such Egos have, usually, no conscious soul contact.
136. These types are all mind and activity.
They are responsible for much of the advanced application of mechanical science to the needs of men,
137. Such application clearly involves the mineral kingdom. During the past two hundred years, the development of machines has made enormous strides.
138. In order to be thus responsible, they would necessarily have to have a high concrete intelligence.
and for the introduction of certain types of machinery;
139. We could wonder just what “types of machinery”. From what is said below, we would have to include weaponry.
they work largely in connection with the energy of the mineral kingdom.
140. This is a very important statements in relation to Primary Lotuses. If we think of the efforts of modern scientists, we can see how very much this statement is true. They are strongly involved with utilizing and manipulating the mineral kingdom.
141. Since no planet is as closely associated with the mineral kingdom as is Vulcan, the presumption that Vulcan is the planet of origin is reasonable.
142. Saturn can also be linked to the mineral kingdom, and does have a close relationship with the Logos of the Earth-scheme, but is in an altogether higher class of planets than the Earth and probably is not the planet which emanated the Primary Lotuses.
By this it must be inferred that the solar Lords who embody this type are linked with a group of lunar Lords who respond magnetically to the devas of the mineral kingdom.
143. There is much occultism concealed in the statement above.
144. It appears that DK is using the term “solar Lords” generically and not in distinction to “Solar Pitris” and “Solar Angels”. Since (on TCF, 869), the term “solar Lords” is used in connection with the second tier of petals, and since for Primary Lotuses there is no development within the second tier (at least no vitalization or unfoldment), the term “solar Lords” is most probably generic instead of specific.
145. We know that, in general, “solar Lords” and “lunar lords” are linked, the “solar Lords” eventually influencing and re-conditioning the lunar lords.
146. But DK distinguishes between “lunar lords” and the “devas of the mineral kingdom”. Lunar lords (within the body of man) are devas—devas which, via the permanent atoms, control the development of the three personality vehicles of the man and also of the composite vehicle, the personality.
147. It appears that the mineral aspect of man (related necessarily to his physical body) is controlled by a certain group of lunar lords which are linked to the devas working within the mineral kingdom. It appears that the energy of the planet Vulcan stands behind these relationships.
148. There is, therefore, a triple link: certain “solar Lords” (embodying the Primary Lotuses on the higher mental plane) are linked to certain lunar lords (conditioning the personality elementals of the personalities of such Egos) which are linked to certain lesser physical plane devas which work in connection with the mineral kingdom.
149. There is an implied suggestion that, for certain types of human beings, the “solar Lords” who embody them egoically, may be linked to types of lunar lords which are particularly linked either to the vegetable kingdom or the animal kingdom.
150. One thinks of the old game, “Twenty Questions” and its emphasis upon “animal, vegetable or mineral”. It may be found (when classifying human beings) that their major link is to one of these three or another.
Their work for the race has at present a deleterious effect,
151. We may presume that their work involves destruction through weaponry. Even if weaponry is not involved, the type of machinery created may induce the human being to become preoccupied with concrete and material affairs to the detriment of his intended involvement with higher aspects of life.
152. We could call this ‘preoccupation with technology’.
but when the second petal is opened, the wonders then to be achieved by them in loving service along their own particular line will be one of the factors which will regenerate the fourth kingdom.
153. A great and very beautiful destiny is held before the Primary Lotuses.
154. It is of significance to realize that the expression of “loving service” requires the opening of the second petal.
155. It takes more than intelligence to regenerate the fourth kingdom. Humanity is in a dangerous condition and much in need of regeneration through love.
156. Psychologically, one of the objectives set before the race is to use the second petal to full advantage. Right now, second petal energies are not being used wisely.
157. As for those who could be wiser because they are more intelligent (members of the Primary Lotus group, for instance), they do not have enough second petal development to express their intelligence lovingly.
158. Much beneficial exchange of energies between contrasting types (for instance, between passional types and strictly intellectual types) is needed if the necessary rounding out (of both kinds of groups) is to be achieved.
They will achieve emancipation in the fifth round,
159. By emancipation is probably meant the fourth initiation.
four fifths of them passing on to the Path and one fifth set back for another cycle.
160. Presumably, it is in the fifth round that four fifths of the Primary Lotuses will both step onto the Path and later in that round achieve emancipation.
161. In this context, it appears that “rounds” are called “cycles”. From the context given, it appears that “another cycle” cannot be occurring within the fifth round.
162. We are probably speaking of chain-rounds occurring within the Earth-chain. Could it be, then, that as regards the development of Primary Lotuses, one fifth of them will achieve emancipation in the sixth chain-round?
163. As advanced as they are (mentally), we see that it will take a long time before they are ready for release from the human kingdom—many millions of years, in fact.
164. As regards all of us, the “rounding out” process can be a lengthy one.
165. When we ponder on the term “Primary Lotuses”, we see that they are still focussed within the primary tier of petals (rather than the secondary or tertiary). They are in process of developing the material foundation for the more spiritual phases of living.
Lotuses of passion or desire.
166. Obviously, we are speaking of the development of the soft-line energies within the human being.
167. Such lotuses stand in strong contrast to the “Primary Lotuses”, for they are not especially endowed with keen (if limited) intellect as are the “Primary Lotuses”.
They are so called because their fundamental nature is embodied love in some one or other form.
168. DK speaks of “embodied love” because the focus is still upon the third aspect of divinity and the first or very material tier.
169. These lotuses still love form, and that which demonstrates principally through the form is loved in relation to the form through which it demonstrates.
The bulk of the Monads of Love are among this large group
170. We remember that within our solar system, the Monads of Love preponderate. They account for 7/12ths of the Monads found within the system.
171. We note that the Lotuses of Passion or Desire are a “large group”. In fact, they are probably the largest group to be found when the categories of incarnating Egos are compared with each other.
and they are to be seen incarnating in the bulk of the well-to-do, kindly people of the world.
172. DK is not telling us that the “well-to-do, kindly people of the world” constitute the bulk of humanity, but that is, indeed, the suggestion found in EP II, 205. Are the “well-to-do, kindly people of the world”, who are also the “nice good people”, really the bulk of modern humanity? DK seems to tell us that they are in the majority. Certainly, when combined with more Atlantean humanity, the majority is accounted for.
173. If humanity is about to become the “World Disciples”, certainly some movement into the organization and vitalization of the second tier of petals would be required for the majority of human beings.
174. If the majority of modern humanity is found in these “nice good people” (these second ray Monads) how is it that the majority of those Monads who pass through the Earth-scheme are third ray Monads. Maybe it is a question of timing. While within modern humanity the bulk may be the second ray Monads, perhaps when we consider human evolution on this planet as a whole, the idea that the majority who pass through the Earth-scheme are third ray Monads will be upheld.
Only those units of life who are coloured predominantly by the third ray of activity pass for any length of time through these three schemes. A hint is here conveyed as to the prevalence of third ray Monads among the sons of men. (EP II 101)
175. It is interesting that those second ray Monads who are passing through the Earth-scheme (and the Saturn and Mars schemes) will probably not be passing through such schemes “for any length of time”, unless, being second ray Monads, they are also third ray souls.
They are divided into five groups,
176. We are speaking of the Lotuses of Passion or Desire, their origins and their divisions.
of whom three individualised upon this planet, and two were the very latest to individualise upon the moon chain.
177. This is quite an extraordinary statement. It tells us that even those who are Moon-chain humanity many not be especially developed. The very latest to individualize on the Moon-chain may still be largely emotionally focussed as Lotuses of Passion or Desire.
178. We note the customary division into fifths and the usual three fifths/two fifths division.
179. Apparently, it takes a very long time to emerge from emotional focus, even for those who are strongly colored by the intelligence of the third ray. The Moon-chain, we realize, was a chain on which the intelligence aspect expressed strongly. It was the third chain of the Earth-scheme though it is no longer so. Hence, those who individualized upon it were colored by the third ray.
180. We are also learning that three-fifths of those who are numbered as Lotuses of Passion or Desire individualized on the Earth-chain. It would seem that they would necessarily be less advanced than the Lotuses of Passion or Desire who individualized on the Moon-chain.
They have two petals unfolded and the third is for them at this time the object of their attention.
181. We must contrast the petal unfoldment of the Lotuses of Passion or Desire with the unfoldment displayed by the Lotuses of Brahman. The Lotuses of Brahman are only “showing signs” of unfolding the second petal. For the Lotuses of Passion or Desire, the second petal is already unfolded (though probably not completely unfolded). Thus, there is a very big difference.
182. If for the Lotuses of Passion or Desire the third petal is the “object of their attention”, we can presume that they are involved in organizing and vitalizing that petal which is, to some extent, unfolding as well.
183. We remember that for the Primary Lotuses, the third petal is “opening”, but this is not said for the Lotuses of Passion or Desire—but only, that for them, the third petal is an object of attention.
Many may succeed in unfolding it before the seventh rootrace of this round
184. This may come as a surprising statement. The seventh rootrace of this round lies millions of years into the future, as the end of the sixth rootrace of this round lies about ten million years ahead of the present era.
185. These “many” are probably derived from the two-fifths which are the Lotuses of Passion or Desire which were the latest to individualize on the Moon-chain.
but the bulk of them will unfold it in the second rootrace of the next round,
186. This “bulk”, in the main, may be inferred to come from the three fifths who individualized on the Earth-chain.
187. We note the numbers two and five which are characteristic of the major energies of the Solar Angels.
188. It is very interesting to realize that (unless the time table has altered greatly since Master DK wrote this text) the majority of the “well-to-do, kindly people of the world” will only be unfolding the third petal in the next round.
189. Does this mean that they will be on the Path at that time? One might think so, but the section of text below seems to contradict though thought.
190. Probably the unfoldment of the third petal signifies that much organizational and vitalizing work is going on in the second tier and, thus, the Path of Aspiration may be entered, if not the Path proper. In the closing organizational and vitalizing processes of the fifth Petal (i.e., the later fifth petal processes), the evolving human being may step upon the Path or Aspiration.
and will stand ready before the close of the round
191. Remember that we are speaking of the “fifth round”. This almost certainly means the fifth chain-round and not the fifth scheme-round. The “nice good people of the world” are far too evolved to have to wait until the fifth scheme-round is in process in order for them to enter the Path.
to pass on to the probationary path, having unfolded one tier of petals, and organised the second.
192. The Path of Aspiration is one thing; the Path of Probation is another—a rather more serious undertaking than the Path of Aspiration.
193. It seems possible to step upon the Path of Aspiration when one has organized the fifth petal and is working at vitalizing it. As for stepping upon the Path of Probation, one must have organized the sixth petal as well.
194. When stepping upon the Path proper (which can be thought of as beginning with the first initiation) sufficient work must have been done within the seventh petal area to allow the application of the Rod of Initiation, at which time a certain (and fairly considerable) degree of unfoldment of the seventh petal is to be expected
195. The section of text immediately above is useful in describing certain minimal requirements for stepping upon the Path of Probation.
196. When one steps upon the Path of Probation, how much petal unfoldment is to be found within the second tier? We are not told. But we may gather some intimation of the correct thought when we realize that when the first initiation is taken the fifth petal is completely unfolded. Presumably upon the Path of Probation, the fourth petal would be rather fully unfolded and the fifth petal somewhat less so, though unfolded to a degree. Minimally, all the petals of the second tier would be organized and, to a required degree, vitalized.
All these lotuses of the first circle are divided into groups
197. Presumably, the number of groups is rather greater than the five categories to which we have, thus far, been introduced.
but interplay goes on between them;
198. DK is telling us that interplay goes on between the different kinds of lotuses of the first circle and, hence, between the human beings who are representatives of the different groupings.
energy in any centre [Page 843] produces reflex energy in another.
199. Each group of lotuses may be considered, in the larger planetary context, as a kind of center of chakra. Just as there is an interplay between chakras in the human energy system, so there is an interplay between the various lotus groups.
200. We know that different groupings of human beings interplay with one another and influence one another.
It must be remembered that in closing the door in Atlantean times to the animal kingdom,
201. We are presuming that this “closing” occurred in the fifth division of the fourth rootrace when it became possible for the a significant number of members of the human kingdom to approach the Door of Initiation.
202. The number five is a number of cleavage, and thus the moment for distinctly separating the human from the animal kingdom very likely occurred under the influence of the fifth vibration.
and the consequent temporary cessation of the forming of any more "bud lotuses" the effect was dual, in directions other than the human or the animal.
203. We are told that once again (later in the development of our Planetary Logos) “bud lotuses” will be formed. For all practical purposes, however, the forming of “bud lotuses” has been discontinued during the fourth chain-round, though, during this round, just a few of the most advanced animals will become effectively human.
204. Let us attempt to understand the effects of this “closing”. We know without complication that the closing affected both the animal and human kingdoms. But the effect was wider, so we are led to believe.
It was the result of the internal decision on the part of the planetary Logos to turn His attention away from the act of creation on the systemic mental plane to the work of progressive evolution.
205. We are instructed that the coming of the Solar Angels from the Heart of the Sun and the Central Spiritual Sun was an act of planetary logoic attention.
206. Our Planetary Logos turned His attention from an act of creation and focussed it upon development—on “progressive evolution”.
This caused a cessation of certain types of activity, producing a quiescence in certain of His centres, and an increased activity in others.
207. Our Planetary Logos’ redirection of attention had a pronounced effect within His chakric system.
208. We might presume to associate the animal kingdom with the Planetary Logos’ solar plexus center, and the human kingdom with His throat center.
209. Preceding individualization of the higher animals, there must have been a considerable energizing of the animal kingdom (and, hence, of the solar plexus center). Once animal units (by becoming human) were passed over into the throat center of the Planetary Logos, the increasing activation of that throat center was in order.
210. So we see that one of the effects of closing the “door” was upon the Planetary Logos, Himself—specifically upon His chakric system.
It also had an effect upon the solar Angels, and consequently upon the Heart of the solar system from whence they are drawn.
211. We may consider the Sun as the “Heart of the solar system”, but more specifically that “Heart” is the “Heart of the Sun”.
212. The origin of the Solar Angels may originally be from Sirius, but a more immediate source is the solar systemic Heart of the Sun.
Floods of energy or streams of force from the heart of the sun (the subjective Sun) were arrested and directed elsewhere,
213. In this section of text, the “heart of the sun” and the “subjective Sun” are equated. One can only wonder why the word “S/sun” is capitalized in one instance and not in the other.
214. So a second effect (other than the obvious effect upon animal and man) was upon the Solar Angels and their streaming forth from the Heart of the Sun.
while the Pitris already active began to centre their attention upon the work begun, and temporarily new beginnings were out of order.
215. Solar angelic essence ceased to stream forth principally from the Heart of the Sun, and the Pitris which had already begun their work intensified it. Man was to be developed as man. There was to be no further continuation of a process which transformed animal units into human units.
It must not be forgotten here that the work of the solar Pitris from their point of view, is not primarily the evolution of man, but is the process of their own development within the plan of the solar Logos.
216. This is a humbling thought. Naturally, human beings see from an anthropocentric point of view. The Solar Angels, however, are in the service of the Solar Logos and Planetary Logos and have their own affairs to manage. It seems that human development is a kind of incidental to their larger process.
The evolution of the human race is, for them, but a method.
217. We can imagine how members of the animal kingdom (were they self-conscious) might look at man’s effort to domesticate them. The implication, however, is that the process of domestication of the animals is, analogously, but a method (however serviceable) for the development of man and for the further development of the Planetary Logos.
218. It seems that each
Kingdom of God is responsible for its own development, even though (in process of that development) it serves other kingdoms.
Perfected men are in the councils of the planetary Logos of their particular ray; the solar Pitris are in the council of the solar Logos.69 [All these will become solar Logoi of varying grades.]
219. Here again is a section of text replete with occult implication.
220. Perfected human beings are Chohans. Chohans (and some few Masters) can enter the Council Chamber of Shamballa.
221. The term “councils”, however, seems to indicate lesser gatherings—lesser than the Council Chamber itself. In this case, Masters can enter whereas not all Masters can enter the Council Chamber of Sanat Kumara.
222. When it comes to describing the inner courts to which “solar Pitris” are privy, DK drops the plural and uses the singular word “council”. Shamballa is only a dim reflection of the ‘Council of the Solar Logos’.
223. If we compare the spiritual status of a Chohan with that of a “solar Pitri”, it is obvious that the latter is far more advanced.
224. On TCF, 844, we are told that Solar Angels, in groups, become Planetary Logoi. Here we are informed that “solar Pitris” are on their way to becoming Solar Logoi—again, inevitably, in groups.
225. Another way of saying this is that Planetary Logoi are on Their way to become Solar Logoi.