Fellowship of Cosmic Fire
Commentary Semester VII Section XIV Part I
TCF 910-915 : S7S14
29 September - 15 October 2008
(Most of the Tibetan’s text is put in font 16, to provide better legibility when projected during classes. Footnotes and references from other AAB Books and from other pages of TCF are put in font 14. Commentary appears in font 12. Underlining, Bolding and Highlighting by MDR)
It is suggested that this Commentary be read with the TCF book handy, for the sake of continuity. As analysis of the text is pursued, many paragraphs are divided, and the compact presentation in the book, itself, will convey the overall meaning of the paragraph. So please read an entire paragraph and then study the Commentary
c. The Elementals of the Ethers.
We will consider now the etheric levels of the physical plane or the four highest subplanes of the physical plane.
1. Our previous commentary focussed on the devas of the systemic/solar gaseous subplane.
2. Now we enter the systemic ethers.
These etheric levels are but gradations of physical plane matter of a rarer and more refined kind, but physical nevertheless.
3. The factor of their graded nature is important. By studying occult chemistry we learn something about the structural nature of the gradations.
4. In the previous commentary we again discussed Agnichaitans, particularly in relation to the systemic gaseous subplane, but noting that varieties of Agnichaitans had, necessarily, to be found upon the etheric planes.
They are termed in most textbooks:
1. The first ether, or atomic matter.
2. The second ether, or sub-atomic matter.
3. The third ether, or super-etheric matter.
4. The fourth ether, or simply etheric matter.
5. “Etheric matter” is a generic term. We must use the term carefully if by its use we are intending to specify matter of the fourth etheric subplane.
6. In general, all four of the higher subplanes of the systemic physical plane are etheric.
The fourth ether is the only one as yet recognised by scientists, and is the subject of their present investigations, little though they may realise it.
7. The fourth ether is not considered “esoteric” and neither is the third. So scientists, unbeknownst to themselves, are simply working on the outer fringes of the ethers.
8. Scientists little realize that the are dealing with the fourth ether because the ether has been largely dismissed from scientific thought as non-existent because unnecessary.
On the atomic subplane are the permanent physical atoms of all humanity and the appropriated atoms of the deva kingdom.
9. We must note the distinction, for it points to the manner in which the structure of the devas differs from that of the humans, and also to significant differences in their developmental process.
10. We must ask the function of these “appropriated atoms”. Do they function as do permanent atoms? What is their purpose? Are they appropriated anew with each deva incarnation? How many are there? Are certain of them central to the building of the body of the deva? Or are none of them particularly central?
11. One probability is implied—that these “appropriated atoms” are not retained when the deva incarnation ends.
The devas do not develop as do the human race.
12. It becomes clear that devas do not have permanent atoms.
13. During the second outpouring, the permanent atoms of the human Monad were appropriated, but since that time have remained permanent.
They reincarnate in groups, and not as individuals, though each group is composed of units,
14. Presumably this means that even though certain types of devas may be individualized, they still reincarnate in groups. The term “unit” is often used to indicate an individualized life.
15. Human units also tend to reincarnate in groups, but to a lesser degree. The factor of individuality is stronger in their reincarnational process.
16. It is important to note that devas do, indeed “reincarnate”. Do devas then “die” as do human beings? Do they in some manner lose the vehicles through which they are expressing and have to generate new vehicles?
and has nothing of the nature of the involutionary group soul.
17. Apparently we are not speaking of involutionary devas at all. Before individualization, the Monads which will become man, incarnate through the various lower kingdoms in involutionary group souls. This type of association depends upon the existence of permanent atoms.
The group soul on the involutionary path and that upon the evolutionary are unlike;
18. It is the human Monads (as they journey through the lower kingdoms) which incarnate through the functioning of the “group soul on the involutionary path”.
19. The deva units on the evolutionary arc also incarnate through a group soul, but it might be called an ‘evolutionary group soul’.
one is passing on to differentiation and is composed of entities animated by one general life;
20. This is the involutionary group soul and the entities involved are the extensions of the human Monad.
21. That “one general life” is, ultimately, the life of the Second Logos.
22. We are speaking here of a group soul which is still not differentiated.
the other has differentiated, and each entity is a separate unit of the one life, complete in itself, yet one with the whole. [Page 911]
23. The description immediately above concerns the ‘differentiated group soul’ composed of deva units on the evolutionary arc.
24. It would seem that, for devas, the kind of group consciousness towards which human beings strive is innate and arises from the structure of their reincarnational method.
25. Since devas represent the feminine aspect of nature, perhaps group consciousness is far easier for them to achieve. Their ‘evolutionary coherence’ seems to demonstrate this.
There are many types of life to be contacted on the four etheric levels,
26. If the life of the physical plane is rich with a great variety of entities expressing through dense physical forms, why should there not be many types of life on the etheric levels? And on still subtler levels?
27. We must keep in mind that Master DK is simply discussing a few types of life to be encountered on the various etheric levels and that the true number is far greater.
28. Imagine a naturalist charged with the responsibility of classifying and discussing the type of lives to be found expressing in the jungle of the Amazon. Where would he begin? How many could he possibly discuss in a few paragraphs?
but we can only concern ourselves at present with the deva life, remembering that the deva evolution is of equal importance to that of the human.
29. This is a very interesting thought. Apparently there are types of life on the etheric planes which are not deva lives. This may be a new thought to us.
30. We can only imagine the incredible variety of lives expressing on the various planes and subplanes of our planetary scheme. We are mostly ignorant of the wide variety of plant and animal lives known to the naturalist. How ignorant are we of the lives expressing through the many subtle planes and subplanes?
31. Master DK tries to help us maintain a sense of proportion, avoiding a quite natural but quite distorted anthropocentric perspective.
These devas are many in number, are of involutionary and evolutionary nature, and of all grades and types.
32. There few words point to the immense variety of deva lives to be found upon the systemic etheric subplanes.
33. We note that on the same etheric subplanes, both involutionary and evolutionary lives are to be found.
34. Much care must be exerted in the task of differentiating between involutionary and evolutionary lives and their names.
Ruling over them on the physical plane is the great deva Kshiti.
35. Kshiti is the Raja Deva Lord of the systemic physical plane. He is also, we will learn, a type of devic life known as a "Transmitter of the Word".
36. May we say that Kshiti rules over the devas of the dense physical subplanes as well as over the devas of the systemic ethers? It has seemed to be the case.
He is a deva of rank and power equal to a Chohan of a Ray;
37. By this, we probably mean that He has a rank equal to that of a sixth degree initiate within the Fourth Creative Hierarchy.
38. May we say that all the deva lives of the etheric-physical plane are, as it were, incorporated within the substance through which Kshiti expresses?
He presides over everything outside the human kingdom upon the physical plane,
39. Yes, it appears that the entire systemic physical plane must be included in the province over which He rules.
40. The forms within the lower kingdoms are under his sway, but not the human kingdom. This is interesting. Does He work only with those forms of life which are individualized?
and He has for His council the four subordinate deva lords of the four etheric levels.
41. Although Kshiti rules seemingly over the entire physical plane, the deva lords who serve in a subordinate capacity are associated with the four etheric subplanes and not with the dense physical subplanes.
42. The number to watch, so far, are one and four: one Raja Deva Lord to rule the systemic etheric-physical plane, and four “subordinate deva lords” to rule the four systemic etheric subplanes.
He, with these subordinate devas, presides over a subsidiary council of seven devas
43. Here we probably have, in this council of seven devas, one such deva assigned to each of the seven subplanes of the systemic physical plane.
44. We see that in this system of governance, the numbers are exact.
45. The numbers to which we must attend so far are 1—4—7 in that hierarchical order.
46. Our summed number, therefore, is twelve—a particularly important devic number.
who handle all that concerns the deva evolution, and the work of the greater and the lesser builders.
47. Presumably, we are speaking of all that concerns the deva evolution and the work of the greater and lesser builders upon the systemic physical plane.
48. Our hierarchy continues to expand:
a. One Raja Deva Lord—Kshiti
b. Four subordinate Lords for the four systemic etheric levels
c. A subsidiary council of seven devas
d. Other greater and lesser builders
The deva Ruler of the fourth, or lowest ether,
49. Presumably, one of the major four who are the chief subordinates of Kshiti…
has delegated a member of His council
50. Presumably, one of the seven…
51. (Note her the four and seven—numbers associated with personality expression).
to meet with certain of the Masters
52. Perhaps not Masters with Whom we are familiar…
53. This also reveals that members of the council are developed enough to meet with a Master.
at this time for two specific purposes, first, to see whether the approximation of the two lines of evolution, human and deva, might be now tentatively permitted, and, secondly, to reveal some of the methods of healing and the causes of physical disability which are inherent in the etheric double.
54. Let us tabulate the purposes for which a member of the council of the deva who rules the fourth ether meets with certain of the Masters:
a. To see whether the approximation of the human and deva evolutions might be permitted (tentatively), presumably on the etheric subplanes (all four of which have a lower resonance with the buddhic plane whereon a true harmonization between the human and deva kingdoms will occur.
b. To reveal some of the methods of healing and the causes of physical disability which are inherent in the etheric double.
55. We note that if approximation between the two kingdoms is permitted the permission given will be tentative and will depend upon the results achieved.
56. In the second point under discussion, we are reminded of the healing devas (some powerful ones being green in color) and of the knowledge of healing carried by certain members of the deva kingdom.
57. DK has earlier discussed with us certain causes of disease which arise from conditions within the etheric double.
Devas of all kinds and colours are found on the physical etheric levels,
58. This is important to note, otherwise we could fall under the mistaken notion that only violet devas are to be found within and upon the systemic ethers.
but the prevailing hue is violet, hence the term so often employed, the "devas of the shadows."
59. The color violet (relatively a darker color by comparison with other colors) contributes, apparently, to the perception of their etheric habitat as shadowy.
With the coming in of the ceremonial ray of violet, we have the amplification therefore of the violet vibration, always inherent on these levels, and the great opportunity therefore for contact between the two kingdoms.
60. With additional stimulation of the inherent violet vibration of the etheric subplanes arises a sufficient intensity of vibration to create a more possible ‘bridge of communication’ between the human and deva kingdom on etheric levels.
61. While the opportunity is there, the manner in which the opportunity is pursued must be handled with great care.
62. In this matter of “amplification”, we are speaking wave addition, of adding together the amplitudes of similar wave forms. This will naturally lead to the strengthening or reinforcement of the wave form.
It is in the development of etheric vision (which is a capacity of the physical human eye) and not in clairvoyance that this mutual apprehension will become possible.
63. Yet, Master DK does speak of a kind of “clairvoyance” which pertains to the physical plane (gaseous level) and to the etheric plane.
The clairvoyance which is in process [Page 905] of developing in this rootrace is entirely physical, and, under the law, its development is to be anticipated, for the Aryan rootrace is that one wherein man—in this fourth round—comes to full self-consciousness. (TCF 904-905)
With the coming in likewise of this ray
64. The seventh ray…
will arrive those who belong thereon,
65. Souls on a particular ray come into incarnation in large numbers when their ray is the major ray of a particular historical period.
with a natural gift of seeing etherically.
66. Seventh ray souls have a particular resonance with the systemic etheric plane.
67. This is one of the reasons that they will become outstanding occultists and magicians in the coming Age.
Children will frequently be born who will [Page 912] see etherically as easily as the average human being sees physically;
68. We can imagine how beneficial this will be. Humanity has been blind to so many subtle occurrences of real importance. In time, this will no longer be the case. The veil between the dense physical subplanes and the more vibrant and luminous etheric subplanes will lift.
as conditions of harmony gradually evolve out of the present world chaos, devas and human beings will meet as friends.
69. DK is anticipating the entry of the fourth ray (in its monadic aspect) in 2025. Even at the close of 1924, the fourth Ray of Harmony was already making an intensified impact.
The coming into power of this fourth Ray at any time (and such an advent may be looked for towards the close of this lesser cycle, which ended in 1924) will produce a corresponding activity in connection with the fourth subplane in each plane, beginning with the fourth physical ether; (TCF 428)
As the two planes, astral and physical, merge and blend, and continuity of consciousness is experienced upon the two,
70. Continuity of consciousness is a condition which any and all systemic planes can be experienced while experience normal consciousness upon the dense physical plane. It represents an expansion of the usual brain consciousness.
71. We are to anticipate a merging and blending of the astral and physical planes. Now it is the beginning of the twenty-first century and we can already detect signs of this process. Unfortunately, the present merging and blending seems to involve the lower levels of the astral plane and is found in increasing cases of obsession.
it will be difficult for human beings to differentiate at first between devas of the astral plane, and those of the physical.
72. An interesting idea. New vibratory fields will be opened to human perception and it will take a while to clarify and classify that which is there to be perceived.
73. When DK speaks of the physical plane, He obviously includes the etheric subplanes and their devic life.
At the beginning of this period of recognition, men will principally contact the violet devas,
74. This is natural, as these devas are closest to the dense physical plane in relation to which the average human consciousness functions.
for those of the higher ranks amongst them are definitely making the attempt to contact the human.
75. It is important to note that the process of attempted contact is reciprocal.
76. When we speak of the “higher ranks amongst them”, we are necessarily speaking of evolutionary, self-conscious devas. When one “makes an attempt”, self-consciousness is implied.
77. Presumably, every etheric subplane has devas of higher and lower rank.
78. But is DK saying that the devas of the two esoteric ethers (the first and second) are making the attempt to contact the human kingdom, or only that the higher devic life upon the fourth ether and perhaps of the third are making such an attempt.
79. It will be along time, we understand, before the first and second ethers become exoteric.
These devas of the shadows are of a dark purple on the fourth etheric level, of a lighter purple, much the same colour as violet, on the third etheric level, a light violet on the second, whilst on the atomic subplane they are of a glorious translucent lavender.
80. We note that there is a lightening of hue as we progress from lower to higher subplanes.
81. Let us tabulate:
a. Fourth ether—dark purple
b. Third ether—violet (though perhaps not exactly violet). Determining an exact color depends upon designating an exact frequency for that color.
c. Second ether—light violet
d. First ether—glorious, translucent lavender
82. VSK offers some thoughts on these matters: “LOM references tend, to my reading, to indicate both that white is esoterically violet, and violet is esoterically white. (Such references are within three or four pages of each other in the colour chapter.) The physical plane is violet, at any rate, as the seventh, but also white, as it is a synthesis.
83. Several colours are synthesizing: Thus, as white is the ‘colour’ of synthesis, is it indicated on ‘all’ planes? Is the physical plane as a whole to be considered white because it has seven subplanes and is the synthesis of those subplanes? Other synthesizing colours are:
[online vsk edit:]
as above: Violet or White, is the 1:7 ratio; the seventh plane as the key fractal of a sevenfold system. Thus the spectrum shows forth, in its diversified form, on our physical plane, and herein the analogies:
a. Orange, the fifth plane, synthesizes the mental (unit) personality three planes; agni is the fire of the mental, astral, and physical.)
b. Yellow, the fourth plane, signifies the buddhic plane downwards; the solar man shining forth in the middle of his system. It is Scorpio, the warrior-hierarchy (4tth Creative Hierarchy) of the Human, who wields conflict to win harmony.
c. Green, the third plane, synthesizes the five planes (from the atmic plane downwards); the green fire of the symbols for these Creative Hierarchies, and the three rays of rose (Pisces, third ray green kumara, p. 34 EA).
d. Indigo, for six planes (from the 2nd or monadic plane 'downwards'); "indigo absorbs", the night sky contains all.);
e. Blue can be viewed as a synthesises for all seven planes (for the Blue Logos, as a whole, is the keynote of the logoic plane: Leo, the King: yellow in the blue position).
Note, red nor rose seems indicated as a synthesizer. In this respect, six, or the astral plane, does not exist as a synthesizer, which likely relates to be it being unprincipled. As the third solar system (monadic focus) is not yet manifest (sacred?) this colour, symbolically herein considered, cannot be considered active. (Hence I advocate no use of red (for developmental purposes); although it may be present and necessarily employed. But in this respect, red does not synthesize, but as it itself is under development, it is destructive in application. This is the colour of adolescence.
Some of the groups of devas to be contacted on the physical plane are as follows:
84. By “the physical plane” is apparently meant the entirety of the systemic etheric-physical plane, with its seven subplanes. We seem, however, to be focusing mostly on the devas to be found upon the etheric levels the systemic physical plane.
85. It will be necessary to remember that we are speaking of groups of devas—violet, green and white. In these groups will also be found associated elementals.
86. It is constantly necessary to keep the distinction between the two—devas and elementals—even though certain wording at times seems to blur the distinction.
Four groups of violet devas,
87. As detailed above in relation to the four etheric subplanes.
associated with the etheric doubles of all that exists on the physical plane. These four are in two divisions, those associated with the building of the etheric doubles, and those out of whose substance these doubles are built.
88. May we assume that those devas involved in the building of the etheric doubles are manipulating devas and that those “out of whose substance these doubles are built” are to be considered “recipients of force”, the more passive involutionary devas?
89. We seem to be speaking of “devas”, but could this be one of those section of text when the term “devas” means “elementals”?
90. The description of “those out of whose substance these doubles are built” seems to point to recipient elemental lives.
91. Our distinction so far (and there will be many such distinctions in this commentary) highlights the contrast between the ‘builders’ and ‘the built’.
The green devas of the vegetable kingdom. These exist in two divisions also. They are of high development, and will be contacted principally along the lines of magnetisation.
92. Apparently they are of higher development, in general, than the violet devas.
93. Both colors, violet and green, were prominent in relation to the earlier solar system.
94. As well, this combination of colors (violet and green) suggest the sign Cancer (ruled by the green third ray and the violet seventh ray)—a sign very prominent in the earlier part of the previous solar system.
95. These are devas from which certain of the healing devas arise. Being connected with the vegetable kingdom (with its prominent soft-line rays—2/4/6), it is understandable that “magnetisation” is prominent in the manner in which they may be contacted.
More and more, during the next fifteen years, will men receive definite teaching, often subconsciously, from devas to whom they are linked. This will be done telepathically at first. Doctors today get much information from certain devas. There are two great devas belonging to the green group on mental levels who assist in this work, and some physicians get much knowledge subjectively from a violet deva working on the atomic subplane of the physical plane, aided by a deva of the causal level who works with, or through, their egos. As men learn to sense and recognise these devas, more and more teaching will be given. They teach in three ways: (EP 1 125)
96. Magnetisation is one of the principal methods of healing.
The greater devas of this order preside over the magnetic spots of the earth, guard the solitude of the forests, reserve intact spaces on the planet which are required to be kept inviolate;
97. Some of these kinds of devas have been draws in Geoffrey Hodson’s book, “The Kingdom of the Gods”. They appear to be very beautiful.
98. We note that there are certain spaces on the planet which are “required to be kept inviolate”. It was probably easier in 1925 to keep such spaces inviolate than it is now—man’s mobility and ability to penetrate into all areas of the planet have so greatly increased.
99. One wonders how such greater devas perform their function—how they “guard” and how they preserve inviolable certain spaces.
they defend them from molestation,
100. It would seem that certain members of today’s environmental movement must work in close (if mostly unconscious) cooperation with these great green devas.
101. The question of the manner of defense is naturally of great interest.
and with the violet devas are at this time working definitely, though temporarily, under the Lord Maitreya.
102. It would seem that both the green and violet devas must, together, be important in the process we understand as the “Reappearance of the Christ”.
103. Perhaps the Christ, Lord Maitreya, works in cooperation with such devas in a manner which better prepare the Earth for His advent.
104. Green and violet are certainly important for the task of healing, and the Lord Maitreya is, among the members of the Fourth Creative Hierarchy the Great Healer.
105. We recall that Master Jesus is assisted by violet devas.
The Raja Lord of the astral plane, Varuna [Page 913] and his brother Kshiti, have been called to the council chamber of the Hierarchy for specific consultation,
106. Do we mean by “the council chamber of the Hierarchy”, the Council Chamber of Shamballa? Sometimes the term, “Hierarchy” is used broadly to include the entire planetary Hierarchy inclusive of Shamballa.
and just as the Masters are endeavouring to prepare humanity for service when the World Teacher comes, so these Raja Lords are working along similar lines in connection with the devas.
107. Kshiti and Varuna are great Intelligences and work with the rank and file of the devas to prepare for the externalization of the World Teacher.
108. They probably work with all manner of devas, but their work with the self-conscious evolutionary devas would seem to be of critical importance.
109. We see that the Reappearance of the Christ is a planetary event and that both of these parallel kingdoms are intensively involved in the preparatory processes.
They are arduous in Their work, intense in Their zeal, but much obstructed by man.
110. This statement tells us much about these great Beings.
111. There seems to be a great ceaselessness which characterizes their work. Perhaps the phrase “arduous in Their work” applies most to Kshiti, the Ruler of the systemic physical plane. Perhaps “intense in Their zeal” applies most to Varuna, the Raja Deva Lord of the systemic astral plane.
112. The description of their relationship to work and zeal suggest the combination of the seventh and sixth rays.
The white devas of the air and water who preside over the atmosphere work with certain aspects of electrical phenomena, and control the seas, rivers, and streams.
113. Presumably we are still discussing the devas of the systemic etheric subplanes, yet the elements of air and water area are also mentioned, and these elements could be seen as related to the systemic gaseous subplane and the systemic watery subplane respectively.
114. From another perspective, the element of “air” carries an etheric connotation.
115. When we think of “electrical phenomena” and the relation of air and water, it is natural to think of displays of lightning.
From among them, at a certain stage in their evolution, are gathered the guardian angels of the race when in physical plane incarnation.
116. These “guardian angels” are not Solar Angels but embody as much of the Solar Angel as may be possible during any one incarnation.
A glimpse of the "Guardian Angel," who is the dim reflection of the Angel of the Presence, the Solar Angel, which walks with each human being from the moment of birth until death, embodying as much of the available light as the man—at any given moment upon the path of evolution—can use and express. (EP II 357)
117. We note that guardian angels are only gathered from those white devas who have reached “a certain stage in their evolution”. We are not yet in any position to know what that stage may be, but we presume that it must be advanced and that such a white deva must be fully self-conscious.
Each unit of the human family has his guardian deva.
118. This is such an important statement. One day it will be known how the guardian deva and the human being interplay. People often imagine that they have been protected by their “guardian angel”. This may often be true, but the mechanism of the protection and, in general, of the interaction are still obscure to human beings.
119. May we assume that sylphs (probably manipulating devas of the air) are also to be found among the white devas?
Each group of devas has some specific method of development and some means whereby they evolve and attain a particular goal.
120. We are confronted with an amazing panorama of possibilities. Each group of devas is of a specific kind and its methods of development and evolution are unique.
121. We note again that devas are spoken of in terms of groups.
122. The implication is that groups of human beings also have specific means of development and evolution.
For the violet devas the path of attainment lies through feeling, and through educating the race in the perfecting of the physical body in its two departments.
123. The method of feeling would not seem to accord with the color violet. Perhaps they are seeking ways to elevate themselves to the astral plane, the plane whereon the faculty of feeling is pronouncedly developed.
124. Yet the Master Jesus on the sixth ray (and the sixth ray is full of feeling) works especially with violet devas.
125. It would seem that violet devas are definitely self-conscious if their role is to educate.
126. The two departments of the physical body are obviously the dense physical body and the etheric body.
127. Seventh ray individuals are particularly good at this perfecting process and it is they who, we would think, are most closely related to the violet devas through the violet color of the seventh ray.
128. For the violet devas the “path of attainment” is also a path of service.
For the green devas the path of service is seen in magnetisation, of which the human race knows nothing as yet.
129. We are speaking here of paths of service trodden by certain intelligent devas on the evolutionary arc.
130. Is it that the human race knows nothing of magnetisation at all, or of the kind of magnetisation pursued by the green devas?
131. The color green pertains to the third ray, but the factor of magnetisation is related to the second ray.
132. We must remind ourselves of the work of “magnetic healers” and the role of green devas in the healing process.
Through this power [the power of magnetisation] they act as the protectors of the vegetable plant life, and of the sacred spots of the earth;
133. Magnetism can be both attractive and repulsive. We can imagine that the magnetisation would draw to vegetable plant life and to sacred spots of the Earth certain much needed influences and ward off others.
in their work lies the safety of man's body, for from the vegetable kingdom for the remainder of this round comes the nourishment of that body.
134. Perhaps nourishment for the human physical body will one day come entirely from prana, but it seems to be suggested that the vegetable kingdom will have the responsibility of nourishing man’s body for the remainder of the fourth round.
135. This says something about the place and fate of meat-eating for the duration of this round.
136. During the Aquarian Age we may see a movement towards relinquishing meat eating. This may not happen all at once. Aquarius is associated with birds and fish. The lighter meat of these animals may be eaten instead of red meet. Already there is such a trend in progress.
For the white devas the path of service lies in the guarding of the individuals of the human family, in the care and segregation of types, in the control of the water and air elementals, and much that concerns the fish kingdom.
137. While the green devas work mostly magnetically and in relation to the vegetable kingdom (and thus have an important but basically indirect effect upon the human race), the white devas work specifically with the guarding of individuals in the human family.
138. Let us tabulate some of their functions, which are most interesting.
a. They guard the individual in the human family
b. They care for various types of human beings
c. They help to segregate certain types of human beings. In this respect they might work in relation to the Department of the Manu which is usually charged with the responsibility of segregating the various types of human beings.
The work of the Manu is largely concerned with government, with planetary politics, and with the founding, direction, and dissolution of racial types and forms. (IHS 42)
d. They control the water and air elementals. This seems to suggest that white devas are, indeed, of the ethers but have control of those lesser devas which are to be found in the water and gaseous layers of the systemic dense physical subplanes. We note that it is the devas who control the elementals.
e. They are much involved with the fish kingdom. We realize that the kingdom of fishes and of birds are both closely related to the deva kingdom and entry into the deva kingdom may use birds or fishes as bridges.
Thus in the service of humanity in some form or another lies attainment for these physical plane devas.
139. We call them “physical plane devas”, but it must be borne in mind that the physical plane includes the etheric subplanes.
They have much to give and do for humanity, and in time [Page 914] it will be apparent to the human unit what he has to give towards the perfecting of the deva kingdom.
140. As humanity begins to understand beauty of form and the manner in which beautiful forms reflect inner archetypes, humanity will have more to offer the deva kingdom.
141. The spiritualization of matter promised for the Age of Aquarius requires a much better and more intelligent relationship between man and deva.
142. We would naturally expect the necessity for reciprocity between these two kingdoms.
A great hastening of their evolution goes forward now coincident with that of the human family.
143. The entire planet is in a condition of accelerated evolution. Both of the parallel kingdoms are involved and progressing rapidly—together.
144. We might be led to infer that the great delay experienced by humanity because of events within the Moon-chain and also, within the first solar system, may also have been experienced by many members of the deva kingdom. Some compensatory acceleration is now in order.
There is another group of devas about which much may not as yet be communicated.
145. Yet, DK sees fit to mention them.
They have come in from another planetary scheme, and are specialists in their particular line.
146. Human visitors from other planets and also deva visitors must both be acknowledged.
147. Two planetary schemes which seem especially devic are Venus and Neptune.
They have attained, or passed through, the human kingdom, and are of equal rank with certain members of the Hierarchy,
148. They are, therefore, relative to the average human being, of high status.
149. We see the extraordinary range of consciousness to be found within the deva kingdom.
150. They are not Raja Deva Lords. We remember that Raja Deva Lords have a rank equal to that of a hierarchical Chohan.
having chosen to stay and work in connection with the physical plane evolution.
151. There is, therefore, something within them akin to those human beings who tread the Path of Earth Service.
They are not many in number, being only twelve.
152. It seems a special hierarchical group, twelve being the number of the heart. The Hierarchy is the heart center of the planet.
153. Let us review the numbers we have been given concerning various devas and deva groups which interact: 1—4—7—12
154. These twelve devas are, it would seem, in a supervisory role regarding devic development on our planet.
155. Remember, in relation to the groups mentioned below, they are groups of devas and associated elementals.
Four work in the violet group [this is group one], five in the green group [this is group two], and two in the white [this is group three], with a presiding officer of rank equal to a Chohan.
156. There are eleven, it seems, of relatively equal rank, with one of greater rank.
157. If the rank of the “presiding officer” is that of a Chohan, then that deva Being has a rank approximately equal to that of the Raja Deva Lords Kshiti or Varuna.
158. The relationship of four and five reminds one of the relationship of the square (the four) to the pentagram(the five of the soul). The green devas, working with magnetisation, are perhaps more in line with the second aspect.
159. Are the two of these devas who work with the white group more related to Spirit, just as we might presume the four in the violet group are related to the quaternary and the five in the green group to the soul?
160. We can also wonder if the violet group is more connected with the etheric-physical plane; the green group with the astral plane; and the white group with the mental plane.
161. While this may be the case, we must remember that on the etheric-physical plane are to be found devas of many different colors.
The number of the deva evolution is six, as that of man is now five, and as ten stands for perfected man, so twelve stands for perfection in the deva kingdom. This group [presumably the group of twelve] presides over the three earlier enumerated. Certain subsidiary groups are found.
162. This is numerological information of very great importance.
163. The devic numbers are larger than the numbers pertaining to humanity.
164. The man is associated with the five-pointed star and the deva with the six-pointed star.
165. The six and five together are the master number eleven.
166. The ten and twelve together, give us the very important master number twenty-two.
167. The perfected man correlates with the number ten and with the tenth sign of the zodiac, Capricorn.
168. Perfection in the deva kingdom correlates with the number twelve and with the twelfth sign of the zodiac, Pisces.
169. In this case, Pisces represents the heart and Capricorn the head.
170. May we think that Aquarius (between Capricorn and Pisces), a winged sign, having much to do with the third and fourth initiations as a meeting ground for men (Capricorn) and devas (Pisces)?
171. We are told that the special group of twelve devas under discussion presides over the violet, green and white devas, just as some of these three preside over still lesser devas (white devas over certain of those of the water and air).
172. As we read what is found below, it is important to distinguish between elementals and devas. It is also important to determine whether a particular life is a deva life or an elemental life. Some forms of life mentioned seem to be called devic (lesser devic) in one context and elemental in another.
Under group 1 [and presumably associated with it] are found all the elementals working with the etheric doubles of men, all the elementals forming the etheric bodies wherein is life, and all the elementals working with the etheric counterparts of so-called inanimate objects.
173. We continue to speak of both devas and elementals, and of devas supervising elementals (i.e., of certain elementals working “under” certain deva groups.
174. Here we have three groups of elementals working under the first group of violet devas. Let us tabulate:
a. Those elementals who are working with the etheric bodies of men
b. Those elementals forming the etheric bodies of those forms wherein life is found. (All things are alive from the hylozoistic perspective, but in this context, “life” seems to mean biological life).
c. Those elementals working with the etheric counterparts of so-called inanimate objects. Every physical object or form has its etheric counterpart or it could not exist tangibly.
175. We need to know whether we must discriminate between the words “working with” and “forming”. The words “working with” suggest the factor of manipulation. Are we, therefore, dealing with manipulating devas? This would be significant as manipulating devas are to be found on the evolutionary arc (and, yet, we are speaking of “elementals” which are usually on the involutionary arc).
176. Or perhaps the words “working with” must not be taken too literally and must not be seen to suggest conscious purposefulness, as these same words are used again in relation to the lowest of the elementals “working with” the etheric counterparts of so-called inanimate objects”.
177. The words “forming” suggest greater passivity and almost definitely that caliber of deva known as “recipients of force”.
These [DK is about to name both devas and elementals-we have to keep them distinct] are named in the order and the importance of their development.
178. The higher the type of being with which the elemental is associated, the higher the type of elemental.
The violet devas are on the evolutionary path;
179. We have been told of four different kinds of violet devas, each associated with one of the systemic etheric subplanes.
the elementals are on the involutionary path,
180. This seems to be a general classification—that elementals are on the involutionary path. We have to be cautious, however, lest the term “elementals”, on occasion, be used more loosely and be applied to evolutionary devas, usually of lower calibre.
181. Group 1 is a group of violet devas with an associated group of elementals which the violet devas control. Overall of them and working with them are certain deva lives from another planetary scheme.
182. There are other supervisors as well, numbered among the initial four Lords and seven in the council.
the goal for them being to pass into the deva kingdom of violet hue.
183. In general, we are reading that those three groups of elementals in Group 1— elementals which work with or form the etheric bodies of men, living things and so-called inanimate objects are not yet violet devas on the evolutionary path but are bound to permanent atoms into the deva kingdom and because devas of violet hue.
184. Immediately below we speak of the “green group”.
185. We remember that that advanced devas from another planetary scheme are working with these three groups—of violet, green and white devas and elementals.
Under group 2 work the fairies of plant life, the elves who build and paint the flowers, the radiant little beings who inhabit the woods and the fields, the elementals who work with the fruits, vegetables, and with all that leads to the covering of the earth's surface with verdure.
186. Immediately above, we find that there are elementals who “work with” fruits, vegetables, etc. This gives us one of the following two possibilities:
a. Either “elementals” can be manipulating devas
b. Or, the words “working with” are to be considered rather loosely, and imply no such abilities as manipulating devas have.
187. It would seem that it is possible to be unconscious, to work with and still to be directed by higher devas in the group concerned.
188. So many elementals are listed here that we must tabulate for the sake of clarity.
189. In this green group we have the following:
a. The fairies of plant life
b. The elves who build and paint the flowers
c. The radiant little beings who inhabit the woods and the fields
d. The elementals who work with the fruits, vegetables
e. All those whose work leads to the covering of the earth’s surface with verdure
190. Let us note that nothing is said here about whether all of these beings are on the involutionary or evolutionary arc. In this paragraph, only one grouping are called “elementals”. Are we to assume that fairies and elves are also “elementals” and are on the involutionary arc as it seems all or most elementals are? Popular lore, however, seems to attribute a kind of selfhood to fairies and elves, a kind of consciousness closely akin to self-consciousness. The way Master DK describes them, their work seems purposeful and perhaps conscious.
191. So several questions we are holding in reserve—“What is the quality of consciousness of fairies and elves?” “Are they on the involutionary or evolutionary arc?” “Are fairies and elves not to be considered manipulating devas”? “Are manipulating devas not on the evolutionary arc?” “Can fairies and elves be called “elementals”, or, if they can be called “elementals”, in what sense are they so called?”
192. In the following description of those who are associated with the fairies, elves and others, the term “deva” is mentioned for the first time—in relation to group two. The association, in general, seems a higher type of association.
Associated with them [fairies, elves, etc.] are the [Page 915] lesser devas of magnetisation, those attached to sacred spots, to talismans and to stones, and also a special group to be found around the habitations of the Masters wherever situated.
193. Again, let us tabulate to bring the eye maximum clarity.
194. Associated, thus, with the elves and fairies are those which seem to be specifically “devas” and thus of higher rank than the “elementals” we have been discussing. These are:
a. Lesser devas of magnetization. Presumably, there are greater devas of magnetization
b. Devas attached to sacred spots. Obviously this is a very responsible position and they are necessarily highly conscious and alert.
c. Devas attached to talismans and to stones (hence the efficacy of these objects).
d. A special group of devas found around the habitations of the Masters.
Under group 3 work the elementals of the air and the sea, the sylphs, the water fairies, and the devas who guard each human being.
195. We see how often DK uses the word “elementals”. Our problem is to determine the scope of this term and whether it includes manipulating devas on the evolutionary arc.
196. From the manner in which the entities who work “under” Group 3, we cannot know whether sylphs and water fairies are to be considered elementals of the air and the sea.. There could be five separate categories:
a. Elementals of the air
b. Elementals of the sea
c. Sylphs (of the air)—possibly manipulating devas
d. Water fairies (of the sea)—possibly manipulating devas
e. The devas who guard each human being (obviously not elementals)
197. From the following quotation (which light on our immediately foregoing consideration) we realize that fairies, sylphs, gnomes, sprites, etc. are to be considered “manipulating devas”:
Second. Many devas pass out of the group of passive lives [i.e., elementals or “recipients of force”] in the effort to become manipulating lives via the bird kingdom, and before becoming fairies, elves, gnomes, or other sprites, pass a certain number of cycles in the bird realm. (TCF 895)
198. So, from the perspective of the interpolated paragraph, fairies, elves, gnomes and other sprites are definitely manipulating devas (“manipulating lives”).
199. Yet the following paragraph shows how tenuous may be the boundary between “elementals” and “manipulating devas”, and how these words must be studied carefully in every context:
The Dark Brothers who occasionally employ these elemental forces to wreak their will and vengeance on all opponents. Under their control work sometimes the elementals of the earth plane, the gnomes and the elemental essence as found in evil form, some of the brownies, and the fairy folk of colours brown, grey and sombre-hued. They cannot control the devas of high development, nor the fairies of colours blue, green and yellow, though a few of the red fairies can be made to work under their direction. The water elementals (though not the sprites or sylphs) move on occasion to their assistance, and in the control of these forces of involution they at times damage the furtherance of our work. (LOM 135)
200. This paragraph must be closely studied as, perhaps, many types of lives (elemental and deva) are grouped together. They may be related but may not be the same (i.e., may not all be on the involutionary arc).
201. Because of the manner in which these different lives are associated, we cannot tell whether they all belong to one general category—“elementals” or “elemental forces”—or whether such beings as the gnomes are to be considered “elementals of the earth plane” or distinct from such elementals (distinct, because they are really “manipulating devas”).
202. Although the terms “elementals”, “elemental lives” or “elemental forces” at times seem elastic and applicable to the manipulating devas (who, presumably, are on the evolutionary arc) it may be better to think of “elementals” as related mostly to the “passive lives”, the “recipients of force” who are definitely on the involutionary arc.
203. We note in the paragraph above sprites and sylphs (presuming manipulating devas) are definitely distinguished form “water elementals” which can be swayed by the dark brother.
204. Let us again tabulate these elementals and devas to be found in the “third group” which is the white group:
a. Elementals of the air
b. Elementals of the sea
d. Water fairies. We see that fairies are not only associated with the green group and with land.
e. The devas who guard each human being. Presumably these devas are individualized and self-consciousness.
Here only general hints are given.
205. Yes, we can perceive that the subject is somewhat veiled.
This list is not complete and does not include the grosser elementals, the brownies, and those that inhabit the dark spaces of the earth, the cities and the subterranean spots of the earth's crust.
206. Here we have three categories of beings:
a. The grosser elementals
b. The brownies
c. Those who inhabit dark spaces and subterranean spots
We do not know whether DK is equating all these as elementals or whether He is distinguishing “brownies” (a term which suggests “manipulating devas”) from elementals. Probably when the names of groups appearing in folklore are mentioned—brownies, gnomes, undines, fairies, sylphs, elves, etc.—it is good to consider them as manipulating devas. As to their degree of consciousness, it is a matter which must be carefully researched