Fellowship of Cosmic FireCommentary Semester VI Section IIITCF 586 - 600: S6S3
26 October – 10 November 2007
(Most of the Tibetan’s text is put in font 16, to provide better legibility when projected during classes. Footnotes and references from other AAB Books and from other pages of TCF are put in font 14. Commentary appears in font 12. Underlining, Bolding and Highlighting by MDR)It is suggested that this Commentary be read with the TCF book handy, for the sake of continuity. As analysis of the text is pursued, many paragraphs are divided, and the compact presentation in the book, itself, will convey the overall meaning of the paragraph.
The Laws in the Three Worlds.—We will now take up and briefly study the three most important laws affecting the evolving human being, as he lives his life in the three worlds. These laws are:1. The Law of Fixation.2. The Law of Love.3. The Law of Sacrifice and Death.
1. We are to gather that the first four laws studied in the previous section—a. The “Law of Vibration”b. The "Law of Cohesion"c. The "Law of Disintegration"d. The "Law of Magnetic Control"relating primarily to the logoic, monadic, atmic and buddhic planes respectively, do not affect the human being as he lives his life in the three worlds.2. The systemic laws now under discussion relate to the three lower planes of the lower three worlds whereon the average human being is focussed.
These laws are all dominated and controlled eventually by the three higher laws in the system—the Laws of Magnetic Control, of Disintegration, and of Cohesion.
3. We note that the "Law of Vibration" is not mentioned as a law controlling one of the lower three laws. even though it is the highest of the laws of the solar system.4. It is evident that the laws mentioned (Magnetic Control, Disintegration and Cohesion) are not all of the three higher laws in the system. The "Law of Vibration" is missing and it is the highest of the laws of the solar system.5. Can we compare the three lower with the three higher laws here mentioned?6. The "Law of Magnetic Control", we were told, directly affects the Ego functioning through the causal body. Will this mean that it will control the "Law of Fixation"?
On the plane of buddhi, as the law of magnetic control. It shows itself as the love-wisdom aspect, irradiating the ego, and eventually gathering to itself the essence of all experience, garnered, via the Ego, through the personality lives, and controlled throughout from the plane of buddhi. (TCF 576)
7. We have already, seen, however that along the
2-4-6line, the "Law of Magnetic Control" could be linked to the "Law of Love".8. We have also seen that there is a direct connection between the "Law of Disintegration" and the "Law of Sacrifice and Death".
We can trace the connection between the atmic and the physical plane (demonstrating on the lower plane as the law of sacrifice and death)… (TCF 581)This law links itself to the third law, that of Disintegration following the connection that always exists between the atmic and the physical plane. (TCF 596)
9. This might leave the "Law of Cohesion" to be paired with the "Law of Love".10. If what is here suggested is true, the method of pairing is not symmetrical.
There is a direct connection between these seven laws and the seven Rays or Vibrations, and if we study the correspondence we shall recognise the fact that the first law, that of Vibration, is the controlling law of the six, demonstrating through the second law, that of Cohesion, just as the solar Logos is at this time manifesting Himself through His second aspect in this the second solar system.
11. It is obvious that the seven laws and the seven rays are correlated.12. It is significant that the “seven Rays” are called “Vibrations”. This links the seven rays to the seven fundamental vibrations or frequencies on the atomic sub-plane of each systemic plane.13. DK makes an analogy which connects the Solar Logos with the "Law of Vibration" and the second aspect of the solar system (through which the Solar Logos demonstrates) with the "Law of Cohesion".14. We have seen that the Solar Logos manifests particularly in relation to the first systemic plane (just as the Planetary Logoi manifest primarily through the second systemic plane). Since the "Law of Vibration" correlates with the first systemic plane, a relation exists between it and the power of the Solar Logos.15. There is a fundamental simplicity operating through the "Law of Vibration"; all other laws are based upon the tempo or frequency of vibration. Both attraction and separation are based on difference in frequency.
The first Ray of Will or Power is the first aspect of the All-self,
16. In this context the “All-self” seems to be the Solar Logos, the God of the immediate ‘universe’ in which we live and move and have our being.
and in the third outpouring, 83 came [Page 587] down to the fifth plane, along with the other monads.
17. There is a close connection between the first and fifth rays. This is seen in the Tetraktys. It is also understood by the fact that fifth ray egos when refocussing on one of the Rays of Aspect, merge along the first ray line of force and become first ray egos.18. The first Ray of Will or Power ‘descended’ to the fifth plane, the mental plane. DK seems to be calling this first ray a ‘Monad’ because He says the Ray “came down to the fifth plane, along with the other monads”. Of course, every E/entity is essentially a Monad.19. Below is the diagram of “The Three Outpourings”
The Three Outpourings. "In the diagram the symbols of the three Aspects (of the Logos) are placed outside of time and space, and only the streams of influence from them descend into our system of planes....
20. Our “system of planes” is considered the seven solar planes of the cosmic physical plane.21. It is as if DK considers the worlds of time and space to be all that transpires upon the cosmic physical plane.22. The “Kosmic” planes in this diagram are the planes we name as the cosmic physical plane, the cosmic astral plane, the cosmic mental plane, etc.23. The three symbols for the Three Logoi are “placed outside of time and space” but ‘where’? Probably it is possible to trace the origin of these streams of influence to the cosmic monadic plane. This would be a cosmic ‘location’ far ‘above’ anything illustrated in the early Theosophical literature.
They represent in due order what are commonly called the three Persons of the Trinity....
24. These Three Persons are diagramed in Chart XIII (TCF 1238-1239). There They are seen as subsidiary to the Solar Logos (the “All-self” in this context).
It will be seen that from each of them an outpouring of life or force is projected into the planes below.25. We are speaking of developments which occur strictly in relation to the lowest of the “Kosmic” planes, the cosmic physical plane. Upon these seven solar planes all of humanity’s presently conceivable development occurs. Humanity’s inconceivable development will take place on planes ‘above’ the cosmic physical but, then, humanity will not be “humanity”, per se.
The first of these in order is the straight line which descends from the third Aspect;
26. This is the descent of Fohat in seven streams of force creating the diversified matter of the atomic sub-planes of the seven solar planes.
the second is that part of the large oval which lies on our left hand—the stream which descends from the second Aspect until it has touched the lowest point in matter, and then rises again up the side on our right hand until it reaches the lower mental level.
27. This is the outgoing and incoming journey of the Vishnu or form-building aspect. The returning or evolutionary part of the oval is, in a way, incomplete. It does not rise beyond the lower mental plane.
It will be noted that in both of these outpourings the divine life becomes darker and more veiled as it descends into matter, until at the lowest point we might almost fail to recognise it as divine life at all; but as it rises again when it has passed its nadir it shows itself somewhat more clearly.
28. This darkening and subsequent lightening after the returning arc is begun is apparently not depicted on this diagram. The assertion, however, makes sense and is commonly credited as true. Perhaps as this diagram appears in The Christian Creed the darkening and lightening are depicted.
The third outpouring which descends from the highest aspect of the Logos differs from the others in that it is in no way clouded by the matter through which it passes, but retains its virgin purity and splendour untarnished.
29. Another way of saying this is, that in its descent, the splendor of the Monad is uncompromised by the lowering frequencies of the dimensions through which it passes.
It will be noted that this outpouring descends only to the level of the buddhic plane (the fourth plane) and that the link between the two is formed by a triangle in a circle, representing the individual soul of man—the reincarnating ego.
30. It now becomes evident that the diagram of the Three Outpourings available in the text, A Treatise on Cosmic Fire is not the same as the one being reference from The Christian Creed. No triangle and circle are to be found. However the symbol mentioned suggests the Ego within the causal body and is found on another TCF diagram.31. The Monad is a solar being. It is “that which finds its home within the sun”. The lower three solar planes do not contain any principles of the Solar Logos and are considered dense, unprincipled matter. This may be the reason why the third outpouring descends no lower than the buddhic plane.
Here the triangle is contributed by the third outpouring and the circle by the second...."—The Christian Creed, by C. W. Leadbeater, pp. 3
32. The circle is the causal body which is built by the form-building second aspect of divinity. The triangle can be thought of as the triple Monad represented by the three aspects of the spiritual triad—atma, buddhi and manas. What we call the atmic, buddhic and manasic ‘extensions’ of the Monad were appropriated during the second outpouring.
It was at the time of the second outpouring that each of the divine centres of consciousness put forth a thread of being into an atom of the highest sub-planes of the atmic, the buddhic, and the manasic planes,—atoms destined to be the nuclei of the future bodies, each on its respective plane, the three forming the upper triad so often referred to. (EP I 168)
33. If the triangle represents the Will, Wisdom and Activity inherent in the Monad, then the triangle is related directly to the third outpouring and not to the second.34. Not only the causal body but the entire egoic lotus can be related to the form-building second outpouring. Yet it would not have been created in the way it was unless the third outpouring had occurred.
A subtle correspondence exists between the monads of Will on the fifth plane, the fifth law, and the fifth Ray.
35. The Monads of Will are usually discussed in relation to the first sub-plane of the monadic plane. But since there is a close connection between the first and fifth rays (with fifth ray souls refocussing upon the first ray) the fifth ray, fifth law and fifth plane are all reasonably related to the expression of first ray Monads.36. The relationship here stated suggests much about the nature of Master Hilarion (once
), Who is the Chohan upon the fifth ray but Who has, we hypothesize, a powerful first ray behind that fifth ray. We hypothesize that He is a first ray Monad. St. Paul37. It has yet to be established: “What are these Monads of Will on the fifth plane?” There was a monadic descent to the ‘edge’ of the fifth plane via the third outpouring, but it seems that all types of Monads were involved in that descent and not only Monads of Will or Power.38. While DK seems to be indicating a relationship between Monads of Power and the fifth law, the "Law of Fixation", He is not necessarily indicating a relationship between the law of the monadic plane (the "Law of Cohesion") and the Law of Fixation. Yet, we must remember that a distinct and important relationship exists between the two and the five (seen, for instance, in Sirian and Venusian expression). We could say that fixation promotes cohesion, and that the tendency towards cohesion makes fixation possible.39. The relationship between the first and fifth rays is not always used in a benevolent manner. These two rays are particularly representative of the Black Lodge and in a more mundane sense, condition the “industrial-military complex”.
V. The materialistic forces Planetary sacral centre Fifth Ray aspect MindThe Matter aspect. Conditioning substance. of First Ray Generation (EXH 89)
The second Ray or the Love-Wisdom aspect wields a control on the fourth and sixth planes, and dominates the Laws of Cohesion and Magnetic Control, and the astral Law of Love.
40. This is, of course, clear and numerologically necessary.41. We note here that the "Law of Love" is called the “astral Law of Love”. This law, expressing on the astral plane, indicates the possibility and goal that buddhic energy will suffuse that plane changing its character entirely.42. Perhaps DK characterizes this law in this way as the idea of the “Law of Love” is much greater than an astral plane expression.
There is a direct interlinking between the abstract Rays and the laws of the planes where they specially control.
43. Although ray one is the principal ‘Ray of Abstraction’ and ray three is called the “Ray of Abstract Intelligence”, it is clear (in this context) that DK is naming rays two, four and six as the “abstract Rays”. At least ray six is called the “Ray of Abstract Idealism”.44. The justification for calling these rays “abstract” is that they are most closely related to subjectivity rather than to the structure and condition of the form.
The third Ray which is the Activity aspect, controls the Laws of Disintegration and of Death, on the third and seventh planes.
45. DK makes the link between the three and the seven—the third law and the seventh law, just as suggested above. Death is a disintegration (at least of the form even though not of the consciousness).46. Although the seventh ray is directly related to the first, we see that there is an important relationship between the seventh ray and the third. We could wonder why seventh ray egos do not refocus upon the third ray on occasion. Perhaps they do. It was so in Master R.’s Ashram recently (when He moved to the position of Mahachohan (though “by special dispensation”).
Therefore, it will be apparent to the careful student of the wisdom that:
47. Are we that—“careful” students of the wisdom?”
1. The Power Aspect—Ray 1, Planes 1 and 5, and the Laws of Fixation and Vibration, form one interlocking whole.
48. This is certainly clear. However, when DK said the following, He did not include the "Law of Vibration" in the enumeration:
These laws [i.e., the three laws relating to the three lower planes] are all dominated and controlled eventually by the three higher laws in the system—the Laws of Magnetic Control, of Disintegration, and of Cohesion.
49. Why was the "Law of Vibration" left out of this enumeration? By doing so a very evident symmetry was apparently distorted.50. Yet, the fact that DK left it out, caused us to think about the relationships between the three mentioned higher laws and the three lower laws of Fixation, Love, and Disintegration and Death.
2. The Love Aspect—Ray 2, Planes 2, 4, 6, and the Laws of Cohesion, Magnetic Control, and of Love, form another unit.
51. Again, this is clear and logical.
3. The Activity Aspect—Ray 3, Planes 3 and 7, and the Laws of Disintegration, Sacrifice and Death, make still another group.
52. This, too, is logical and was just discussed.53. When one thinks about how those upon the minor soul rays resolve onto major one, the pattern just offered comes very close to the method of resolution, except that those on ray seven resolve primarily onto ray one and not ray three.54. So DK has given us a grouping of the laws—grouping higher laws with the lower laws. In the earlier reference, He mentioned the "Law of Magnetic Control" as a higher law of the system and excluded the "Law of Vibration". In the grouping immediately above He speaks largely in terms of the three aspects and groups the laws according to the aspects to which they are most related. The "Law of Magnetic Control" is no longer mentioned as a higher law and the "Law of Vibration" is reintroduced.
It is logical for the first Ray only to have control, as yet, on two planes, for the Power Aspect waits for another system in order to demonstrate in full development.
55. The planes on which the first ray has control appear to be the first or logoic plane and the fifth or mental plane. Yet, let us remember, as stated above, that the "Law of Vibration" demonstrate through the "Law of Cohesion", and thus, through the second plane to which the "Law of Cohesion" is most closely related.56. Between the first ray and the fifth ray there is a direct conduit, but we cannot think why it should be considered more direct than the conduit between rays one and seven.
Ray two, the synthetic Ray for our system, controls [Page 588] on three planes; it has the preponderance, for paramountly we are the Monads of Love, and Love is our synthesis.
57. Just the vegetable kingdom supports the expression of three rays, whereas the animal and mineral kingdom are only associated with two rays, so the ray most closely associated with the vegetable kingdom (the second ray) “controls on three planes”—the second, fourth and sixth. The rays associated with the second, fourth and sixth planes are the second, fourth and sixth rays—the very ones which express through the vegetable kingdom. Since Venus rules the vegetable kingdom, it must have a close association with these three rays.58. How is Master DK identifying when He makes the statement above: “for paramountly we are the Monads of Love…” Is He identifying with humanity in general, or does the term “we” give a hint concerning His own monadic nature?59. If the Buddha can be a third ray Monad (and this is established by the fact that He is one of nine who can have three separate, simultaneous appearances), then Master DK can certainly be so.60. Yet, in another important reference when He uses the term “we” He seems to be hinting that He is not from the first solar system. Through the use of the word “we” in this context is He also hinting something about his own nature?
Our earth humanity and the group of human beings who are far more ancient in their origin than we are, will form one humanity and then there will be peace on earth. (EXH 77)
61. In this context DK is definitely speaking of “the previous system” and is stating that He is not from it.62. Yet, the Monads of Love are found in the majority in this solar system, and (in using the word “we” in relation to the Monads of Love) DK may be identifying Himself as a entity from this solar system, and not as an entity from the past solar system, thus, reinforcing the message of the text reference above.63. This seems likely, because if His identification was with the Monads who pass through the Earth-scheme, He would have to say, ‘we are primarily Monads of Intelligence’ for the majority of Monads which pass through the Earth-scheme are Monads of Intelligence. (cf. EP II 101) So, He appears to be thinking in terms of the second solar system and of the preponderance of Monads in that second system. Nevertheless, there is good reason to believe that His Monad is upon the third ray, identifying Him with Mercury, just as the Buddha is identified with Mercury.
Ray three, the dominant Ray of the system which is past, its synthetic Ray, controls on two planes, and on one that is little understood, for, just as the physical body is not considered a principle, so there is a sphere of activity that is not included in our enumeration, it is past and gone. Some explanation of this lies hid in the occult words, "The Eighth Sphere."
64. We have here a very amazing reference. Planes three and seven are allied, but a kind of ‘plane eight’ should also be included. If we are discussing the “Eighth Sphere” we have an association with a sphere of activity which existed in the previous solar system but no longer exists in any manner integrated with our own system. Its presence existence is as a ‘sphere of retrogression’—a negatively magnetic sub-tone of the tones sounding in our present solar system.65. Perhaps the dense physical plane (in its three states of solid, liquid and gas) counts as a kind of eighth sphere. It has been stated that the physical matter is directly associated with the third ray rather than the seventh (which is associated with the etheric body).66. Of these three lower systemic sub-planes, the very dense and the liquid are the two sub-planes definitely not to be included in the physical nature of man. The gaseous sub-plane has a higher function and can be considered the lowest of the physical sub-planes appropriated by man in the creation of his physical-etheric body.67. The numbers three and eight are otherwise associated as well. The third Creative Hierarchy (third of the manifested Creative Hierarchies) is also the eighth (counting from the highest of the liberated Creative Hierarchies on the cosmic astral plane). We are told that it is the rejection of the Triads (the name for the Third/Eighth Creative Hierarchy, which precipitates a man into the “eighth sphere”. The connection is unmistakable.68. There is also a sense in which the lower mental planes can become a sphere unto themselves, and that this isolation of the concrete mind into a self-contained, soul-resistant sphere is the worst disaster that can befall a human being. Perhaps, an isolated lower mental vehicle can be called an eighth sphere, of a kind. It could be ruled by the third ray, but one cannot see why it should not be more ruled by the lower fifth ray.69. When looking for the “eighth sphere” we simply must remember that there is a plane ‘lower’ than what we call the physical and it is ‘here’. This plane is a kind of sub-tone of the seven systemic planes.70. It would seem that two conduits to this ‘undertone-plane’ are the hardened concrete mind and the lower two sub-planes of the systemic physical plane.
In regard to the four minor Rays of Harmony, Concrete Science, Devotion and Ceremonial Order, their control exists in degrees on all the planes, but they have their particular emphasis in the evolution of the reincarnating ego in the three worlds at this time.
71. DK is telling us that each of these rays exerts some degree of control on all the solar planes—at least in relation to sub-planes.72. The reincarnating ego works through the lower quaternary at this time and the four Rays of Attribute are particularly associated with this quaternary.73. Is the personality threefold or fourfold? If the fourth elemental is counted (the elemental which is the occult sum of the lower three elementals) then the lower personality is fourfold.74. We can understand that the fifth, sixth and seventh rays have a natural affinity with the three lower worlds. The fourth ray has a natural affinity with the fourth or buddhic plane, but not with any planes in the three lower worlds—only with sub-planes and with fourfold structures like the personality which is found in the three lower worlds.
These four Rays control, in a subtle and peculiar manner, the four kingdoms of nature—mineral, vegetable, animal and human—
75. We can look at this control in various ways, but let us offer one assignment:a. Ray four—the human kingdomb. Ray five—the animal kingdom (as it strives towards knowledge and individualization)c. Ray six—the vegetable kingdom (as it aspires upward towards the sun)d. Ray seven—the mineral kingdom (in its ‘frozen’, crystalline aspect).
and at their merging into the three Rays of Aspect (the Activity Ray of the Mahachohan being the synthesiser of the lower four in our planetary scheme) have a correspondence with the merging of man (the product of the three kingdoms and the fourth) into the superman kingdom, the spiritual.
76. As man (the fourth kingdom) merges into the fifth kingdom (the "
"—the “superhuman kingdom”) so the four Rays of Attribute merge into the third ray, the “Ray of Brahma” or the “Ray of the Mahachohan”. Kingdomof Souls
The fourth Ray and the fourth Kingdom form a point of harmony for the lower three, and all four then pass into the major or upper three.
77. It is significant that humanity is meant to harmonize the lower three kingdoms. Due attention will be given to this task during the Aquarian Age as the seventh ray (the ‘ray of ecology’) gains in strength.a. We can understand humanity’s responsibility in this regard—a responsibility far from fulfilled.78. Eventually, all the four lower rays pass into the “upper three”. They arose from the “upper three” and, thence, they return.
This is worthy of our serious thought, and the analogy of the fourth plane will also be apparent.
79. The fourth plane is the “Plane of Harmony”.80. The implication is that the fourth plane will one day absorb the lower three planes.
For this system, the buddhic plane, the human kingdom, and the fourth Ray of Harmony or Beauty or Synthesis, have a point of correspondence,
81. We note a special name for the fourth ray as a ‘Ray of Synthesis’.82. In different respects, the first ray, second ray, third ray, fourth ray and seventh ray are all ‘Rays of Synthesis’. The fifth ray is a ‘Ray of Union’, which we can see from the Word of Power, “Three Minds Unite”.
just as the fourth rootrace is the one in which the synthesis is first observed—the door into the fifth
being then opened; kingdomof Spirit
83. If synthesis is first observed in the fourth root race, then analogously, it can be said that synthesis is first observed on the fourth sub-plane (let us say, of the mental plane). We realize rays three, two and one to be synthetic rays and ray four the antechamber to the acknowledged synthesis of the three major rays.84. In many respects, synthesis begins with the etheric part of any sevenfold plane—yet the lowest level ruled by the seventh ray is also a field of synthesis.85. On the lower mental plane a kind of synthesis exists which opens the door into the fifth kingdom.86. We note here that the fifth kingdom is not called the "
Kingdomof Souls" but rather the “fifth ”. This is unusual, however, when the fifth kingdom is entered, the Spirit/Monad does actively engage with the soul on its own plane. kingdomof Spirit
The first faint tremor of the impact of monadic "destiny" (I know not how else to express this concept) makes itself felt, but is registered only by the soul of the initiate and on the level of soul consciousness; it is never registered by the man on the physical plane who is taking the first initiation; his brain cannot respond to this high vibration. (R&I 312-313)
87. Usually, it would be the sixth kingdom which would be called the “
”. kingdomof Spirit
the fourth rootrace also developed the astral capacity that made contact with the fourth or buddhic level possible.
88. The buddhic plane is definitely synthetic compared to the lower planes. There is a channel from the astral plane to the buddhic and, in this astral buddhic solar system, and upon our second ray planet, man developed and cultivated this astral-buddhic link.89. The upshot of this discussion is the acknowledgment that the number four indicates synthesis and that the fourth ray is a synthetic ray and the fourth plane a synthetic plane (as are the sub-planes corresponding to the number four).
In a subtle way too (I use the word subtle for lack of a better, meaning a statement of actuality that seems an [Page 589] illusion),
90. “Subtle” means that which is true but not easily detected.
the three minor Rays, Concrete Science, Devotion and Ceremonial Law, have each a connection with the three kingdoms of nature below the human, and with the three laws of the three lower worlds.
91. This again, stands to reason. We have suggested a connection of the three minor rays with the three lower kingdoms and three lower laws.92. There is a definite connection between the mineral kingdom and the physical nature (ruled by the seventh ray), the vegetable kingdom and the astral nature (ruled by the sixth ray) and the mental nature (ruled by the fifth ray—the ray of mind) and the animal kingdom. The deeper objectives of each of these three kingdoms must be understood if the ray connection is to be understood.
The Ray of Ceremonial Order has special significance at this time; it controls life in the mineral world, and in the final stages of involutionary life at the point where the upward turn of evolution is made.
93. DK raises an important point. The ‘turn’ from involutionary life to evolutionary is mysterious. We understand little if anything of the forms through which involutionary life progresses ‘downward’.94. One wonders here if the turn can be described symbolically in the relationship between Saturn and Uranus.95. The seventh ray is involved in significant transitions; certainly the ‘moment of the turn’ is highly significant in the progress of the Second Logos through the second outpouring.96. We would imagine that at the “turn” there is a definite ‘setting into form’ over which the seventh ray would preside.
Through Ceremonial Order comes the control of the lesser builders, the elemental forces, the point of synthesis in the lowest plane of all, the period of transition.
97. We gather that the elemental forces are to be controlled through ceremonial order. This is also true of higher devas.98. May we say that a point of synthesis uniting the elemental forces of the involutionary arc with the devic forces of the evolutionary arc is reached on the seventh plane at the period of the ‘turn’?99. We remember the relationship between the seventh ray and all transitions.100. We live in a time of great transition right now and the seventh ray is increasingly potent. One wonders whether it is the ray ruling the greater and impending 25,000 year Age of Aquarius as well as the lesser Age of some 2500 years.
In all such periods the seventh Ray comes in (as now) the Ray of Law and Order, of accurate arrangement and formation. It is the reflection on the physical plane of the Power and Activity Aspects working in synthesis.101. We have here important names for the seven ray:a. The “Ray of Law and Order”b. The ray of accurate arrangementc. The ray of accurate formation102. If we combine rays one and three (and they work in synthesis), then ray seven reflects this combination. Does this suggest that the seventh ray can be derived from the combination of the first and third rays? Usually, the thought has been advanced that the seventh ray is derived from the combination of the first, second and third rays.
Rays 1, 3, 7, have an interplay, as we know. Ray seven is the appearance in combination of the forces of evolution. It is the manifestation of Power and Activity on the lowest plane of all.
103. We have here further confirmation of the seventh ray as a combination of the first and third.104. What rays represent the “forces of evolution”? The “Will-to-Evolve” is the third ray aspect of Will. Shall the driving force of the first ray be included in the “forces of evolution”? It would seem so. But then, are there any ray energies which do not make their contribution to evolution?105. The relation of the seven ray to both the first and third suggests lines of refocus and resolution. We know that seventh ray individuals often refocus on the first ray. Why should they not also refocus upon the third ray? Certain members of Master R.’s Ashram have (with Him) done exactly that.
It is allied to the laws of the third and seventh planes, Disintegration and Death,
106. We are being told that the seventh ray is allied to not only the law of the seventh plane (the "Law of Sacrifice and Death") but to the law of the third plane (the "Law of Disintegration").
for all periods of transition are periods of the destruction and building of forms, and the shattering of the old in order that newer and better chalices of life may be constructed.
107. DK is linking transition (during which the seventh ray is always present) with the factor of destruction and disintegration. Transition (seventh ray activity) He says, involves destruction and disintegration (hence the relation of the seventh law to the third--the "Law of Disintegration").108. When the Ray of the Destroyer brings about human death in the three worlds we sometimes call the process “making one’s transition”.109. Perhaps later there will be methods of making transition without the necessity of disintegration and destruction. Perhaps the dynamic of ‘harmonious metamorphosis’ will appear, and the alterations necessary for successful transition will be smoothly accomplished.
The Ray of Devotion has a definite though little known connection with the vegetable kingdom.
110. If we examine the relationship between the vegetable kingdom, the sixth ray and Venus, light may come on this connection.
We must remember that it is linked to a subsidiary law of the cosmic Law of Attraction.
111. Just as the second and sixth rays are linked, so the second ray Law of Attraction and the sixth ray "Law of Love" are linked—we remember that it is called the “astral Law of Love”.
It is in the vegetable kingdom that we find one of the first and temporary approximations between the evolving human Monad, and the evolving deva Monad.
112. It is interesting that DK view these approximations as approximations between Monads. It is as if the one Monad of the human kingdom approximates with the one Monad of the deva kingdom and that this happens through many encounters between the representatives of those kingdoms.
The two parallel evolutions touch in that kingdom, and then again follow their own paths, finding their next point of contact on the fourth or buddhic level, and a final merging on the second.
113. This is a most important reference concerning the merging of the human and deva kingdoms:a. They temporarily approximate on the astral planeb. They have a point of contact on the buddhic levelc. They have a final merging on the monadic level114. The contact here referenced between deva and human units is called an “alliance” in other references:
Further, the two great evolutions (human and deva) find their group unity on the buddhic plane, and portions of both hierarchies blend and merge so as to form the body of the divine Hermaphrodite.24,25 Earlier, at certain fixed points, they may temporarily approximate each [Page 329] other. On the buddhic plane definite and permanent alliance may be seen. (TCF 328-329)
115. This contact on the buddhic plane is also called a “group unity”.116. Taken together these references supply very important facts about the relationship between humans and devas. As we can see, the two-four-six line is definitely involves in this gradual, merging process.
The concrete Rays have an especial effect on the negative evolution of the devas, who form the feminine aspect of the divine hermaphroditic Man, working along [Page 590] the lines of more positive development. The abstract Rays do a similar work on the positive human hierarchy, tending towards a more receptive attitude. This hierarchy forms the masculine aspect of the divine Hermaphrodite.
117. Here we find an interesting and important contrast. The devas are a feminine evolution and so the concrete (masculine) rays contribute to their positive development. The human hierarchy is already “positive” and so the abstract or feminine rays build in them a more receptive attitude.118. By “concrete Rays” it is probable that the Tibetan means rays one—three—five--seven. He could of course mean rays five—six—seven, which are “concrete” when compared to the Rays of Aspect.119. By “abstract Rays” He probably means rays two—four—six rather than rays one—two—three (which are Rays of Aspect and, therefore, abstract when compared to the Rays of Attribute).
But at three points on the path of evolution the Monads of Love, working on the abstract qualities, touch the devas of activity working on concrete faculty.
120. Is DK speaking specifically of the “Monads of Love”, i.e., of second ray Monads? Or are all Monads, because they focus especially on the second systemic plane, to be considered “Monads of Love”?121. We may gather that all devas are “devas of activity”. Devas are to be found on all the rays, but DK seems to be speaking of something that is common to them all—i.e., their association with the activity aspect of divinity (an aspect that is at once feminine and masculine).122. We can see there is much devas and humans have in common and much that differentiates them.
The perfection of the two evolutions marks the point of attainment of the divine Heavenly Man;
123. Since the merging of humans and devas occurs on the monadic plane (and since, consequently, their relationship is not complete until their monadic merging), the “attainment of the divine Heavenly Man” is achieved when both evolutions fuse on the monadic plane—the plane upon which the Heavenly Men focus particularly as various charts in TCF reveal.124. In short, monadic attainment for both humans and devas signals the attainment of the “divine Heavenly Man”.
it is the perfecting of the two major centres, creative activity and love, of the Logos.
125. These two major centers suggest the throat and heart centers of the Heavenly Man. The throat is the center of “creative activity” and the heart is the center of love.126. Devas can reasonably be associate with the sacral center which must be raised to the throat. Humans are associated not only with the throat center point of the Heavenly Man, but with the solar plexus center of the Grand Heavenly Man—a center which must be raised to the heart.127. Another way of looking at this is that humanity is meant to become the Spiritual Hierarchy of the planet.128. We note that in one breath DK speaks of the Heavenly Man and in the next of the “Logos”. We have to be careful. When He speaks of the “Logos” He generally means Solar Logos. Thus, if so, He has switched His frame of reference from one sentence to the next.129. Whereas humanity represents the throat center of the Heavenly Man, it represents the solar plexus center of the Grand Heavenly
In their lower aspect these centres are known as the centres of generation and the solar plexus, but are transmuted, as evolution proceeds, into the throat and heart centres.130. We seem to be looking at where humans and devas begin, and the point to which they must arrive.
Then, in a dual synthesis, they will pass on into the third system, that in which the Power aspect is developed, and the head centres will be complete.
131. This seems to suggest that humans and devas will merge in a synthesis. It will be a dual synthesis: sacral center and solar plexus; throat center and heart.132. Both kingdoms (in a synthesized stated) will pass into the next solar system, which will be based on synthesis and not on duality.133. There was but one dominant evolution in the first major solar system. Major evolutions were divided in the second solar system. Will there be one dominant evolution in the third major system and will that dominant group arise from the dual synthesis here discussed, or will there be a triple evolution? It is too early to tell.
This achieved, our Logos has triumphed, and measured up to the sixth cosmic Initiation, just as He should measure up in this system to the fourth.
134. When the power aspect will be developed and the head centers will be complete, the triumph of our Solar Logos will be indicated. This triumph is the “sixth cosmic initiation”. It is important that DK specify the word “cosmic” as the Solar Logos is also engaged in taking a series of lesser initiations (nine in all) which are intra-systemic rather than cosmic. (cf. TCF 384)135. We see that the sixth cosmic initiation of our Solar Logos looms ahead and cannot be taken in this solar system. The case for the fifth cosmic initiation is ambiguous. Other references indicate that the Logos will take it in this solar system, while the present reference tells us that He will “measure up in this system to the fourth”. Is it possible that the initiatory possibilities of the Logos are not completely determined? During any one human incarnation, for instance, specified initiatory possibilities may be attained or deferred, depending on the exertions of the human being. May it also be so for the Logos?
The Ray of Concrete Science has a peculiar relationship to the animal kingdom, in that it is the Ray that governs the merging of that kingdom into the human.
136. This merging occurs at individualization which is strongly conditioned by the fifth ray—the Fifth Creative Hierarchy is intimately concerned in the process as is the fifth sign, Leo.
The planet, Venus, in her fifth round, gave the impetus which produced the spark of mind in animal man—a fact well known.
137. Whether or not Sanat Kumara and His Kumaras originated on Venus (in fact, DK says They did not), it was Venus which gave an important stimulation to the process of individualization which necessitated the coming of Sanat Kumara and His Co-Workers.138. Venus must have affected certain lives related to the cosmic mental plane, for we are given to understand that the spark of mind is essentially cosmic mental in origin.
It is also the fifth Ray, and has an interesting connection with the fifth Law of Fixation.
139. By numerical resonance or affinity we might expect this.
We might study, too, with profit, the analogy that can be seen between these factors and the fifth root-race, the race of peculiarly strong development of the concrete mind.
140. We are to look at the development of the spark of mind, the expression of the fifth ray and the unfolding of the Law of Fixation especially in relation to the fifth root race.141. Nature proceeds in gradual steps. Simultaneity and synthesis indicate climactic developments.
The Law of Analogy always holds good.
With this as a basis, the three laws of the personality become replete with life, and can be summed up in the well-known term, "The Law of Rebirth and Death in the three worlds."
142. DK is telling us that the three lower laws are to be considered “laws of the personality”. When they work together they result in “The Law of Rebirth and Death in the three worlds”.143. If desire (six) turns towards physical form (seven) rather than towards the higher mind (five), then a return to the lowest world (seven) via reincarnation is mandated. This return is impulsed from the plane of mind (five).
The fifth law governs a fixed point in the personality, that of the fifth principle.
144. The mind can be used as a stabilizing factor to sustain a necessary point of tension.145. When one thinks of a fixed point in the personality which is related to the fifth law and the fifth ray, one thinks of the mental unit (as that unit is stimulated by the fifth principle).146. In considering the relationship between the first and fifth rays, we realize that the first ray is a ‘ray of fixity’. It destroys through crystallization. We are well acquainted with the crystallized thoughtforms of the lower concrete mind and how these thoughtforms must be destroyed if they are not to become destructive themselves.
[Page 591]The Law of Love in the astral body also has its points for consideration. There is a direct link between the astral body (love in the personality), the buddhic vehicle (love in the Triad), and the Monads of Love.
147. By now this is a familiar idea:a. The astral body—love in the personalityb. The buddhic vehicle—love in the Triadc. The monadic vehicle—love upon the plane of Sprit (universal love). From this we can see that Aquarius, the sign of “universal love” must, in its own way, be related to the Monad (a solar factor even as Aquarius is directly related to the Sun and Leo because it is the sign opposite Leo).
Later on, this will be understood more fully, but it is the main channel for the basic law of the system, Love.
148. We are learning about many lines of transmission, but here is the one which is most important for us at this time:a. The Monads of Loveb. Working through the buddhic plane and producing “love in the Triad” which is unitive lovec. Working through the astral plane producing “love in the personality” which is love of the form for other forms.
These three points mark periods of completion, and likewise starting-points for fresh endeavour in the life of the evolving Monad—from the personality to the Triad, from the Triad to the Monad, from the Monad back again to its source.
149. Consummated personality love awakens a realization of the need for triadal love (a wider love which we can call the “love of God”—really a reflection of the “Love of God”).150. Consummated triadal love awakens a realization of the need for the ‘love of the Spirit’—universal love, the true love of the ‘Solar God’, our Solar Logos.151. We are reminded that the Monad has a “source” and that source is not to be found upon the monadic plane.152. If the Monad is “that which finds its home within the sun”, then we must consider the Sun (in one of its aspects) as the “source” of the Monad—at least for practical purposes and within this particular solar system. The real “Source” of the Monad is a profound mystery to be traced back to the fathomless beginning of Cosmos on planes far higher than we can even imagine.
5. The Law of Fixation.—This is the governing law of the mental plane, finding its greater correspondence in the Law of Karma on cosmic mental levels.
153. If the Law of Karma arises from cosmic mental levels; if it is a Sirian law; and if Sirius is focussed in many respects upon the cosmic mental plane, then the "Law of Fixation" must have a higher cosmic correspondence which relates to Sirius.154. The karma for human beings, for instance, is, in any one cycle, largely fixed and determined. This may be one of the effects of the "Law of Fixation".
"As a man thinks, so is he;" according to his thoughts are his desires and acts, and so results the future.
155. We might also say that “as a man thinks”, ‘so he becomes’. He becomes objectively what he is subjectively.
He fixes for himself the resultant karma.
156. By the persistent fixity of his thoughts he creates a resultant karma. Thought fixates karma.157. Thoughtforms are structured under the influence of Saturn and Saturn is the most powerful of our systemic Lords of Karma.158. A passing thought will not generate that which we call karma, but when one persists in a line of thought, it becomes a ‘fixed actuality’ and results in outer developments which are correlated to the thought.
The word "Fixation" is chosen for two purposes: First, because the word implies the capacity of the thinker to shape his own destiny,
159. “Fixation” is a Saturnian and Vulcanian word. These are two planets which, indeed, shape or formulate destiny.160. A future intended pattern is held through all vicissitudes and the one within insists that it be. By insistence is meant the deflection of all other possibilities. Fixing/fixating and holding are, in this case, identical.161. Fixed thought shapes destiny.
and secondly because the word implies a stabilising idea, for as evolution progresses, the Ego evolves the faculty of forming definite concrete thought-forms, and, through these stable products, of subduing the fluctuations of the astral body.
162. Fixation subdues fluctuation. This is another way of saying, symbolically, that the stable ‘Sun’/Vulcan subdues the fluctuating ‘Moon’.163. We have, in sum:a. The shaping of destiny through fixationb. Through fixation, the holding of stabilized thoughts which subdue astral fluctuations and thus lead to intended accomplishment.
This law of the fifth, or mental plane is one of the most important laws with which we have to do at any time, and it will find its most complete demonstration in the next, or fifth round.
164. This is a statement with great implications. Not only is this "Law of Fixation" important now but it is one of the most important laws to consider “at any time”.165. It would appear that we are still in very early days of understanding the full significance of the law. The next round is the fifth round and, numerically, will be the one in which a much fuller understanding and demonstration of the "Law of Fixation" will be achieved.166. What kind of ‘fixation’ will occur in the middle of the fifth round at the "Judgment Day"? May we say that some will be ‘fixed’ upon the Earth to pursue their further evolution; others will be dispatched elsewhere.167. We might say that the polarization-in-consciousness of humanity (and, by extension, of the Planetary Logos) will be fixed in relation to the second aspect of divinity. Those who have no orientation to that aspect will be ‘expelled’ for progress elsewhere.
In relation to this fourth round the following facts may be gathered about its working:
It is the law under which the evolving personality builds up, during the course of many lives, the causal body;
168. The causal body is upon the higher levels of the fifth plane. As the light of mind grows within the personality it becomes possible to act in such a manner that value may be extracted from personality experience and fixed as content within the causal body.
it fixes the matter inhering in that body, placed there by the man as the ages slip away, and crystallises it.
169. The “matter…placed there” is the substance which embodies faculty. Fixation is, in this case, an act of construction.170. Considering the relative size of a newly made causal body and a causal body possessed by an experienced unit of consciousness, there is a great contrast, the latter having, in fact, much more “matter” within it.
Before the fourth Initiation the crystallisation is complete, and the inevitable shattering that is the result of crystallisation in all forms, takes place,
171. Shall we relate “fixation” and “crystallisation”?172. Crystallization is a Vulcanian process, relating fixation to this planet of unbendable will.
setting the [Page 592] indwelling life free for further progress. All forms are but hindrances and limitations, and ultimately must go, but they have their needed place in the development of the race. Eventually the causal body of the entire race itself disintegrates.
173. The disintegration of the causal body of the race will mark the period in which the race reaches the point of tension at the fourth great cycle of attainment. The race itself will be an Arhat. Will we be closer to this eventuality when the personality ray of humanity becomes the fourth and its soul ray, the second?
This law governs the crystallisation of all forms prior to their shattering in the process of evolution.
174. So far, of the "Law of Fixation" in relation to man, we may say:a. It builds up the causal bodyb. It fixes matter inhering in the causal bodyc. It crystallizes the ‘forms of faculty’ built into the causal body. When human experience has no more to teach the Arhat, the form of the causal body arrives at a crystallized state ripe for shattering.175. In governing the crystallizing of all forms prior to shattering, the fifth law works in tandem with the first ray of the destroyer. The fifth ray prepares the way for the act of destruction which comes through the application of the first ray.
It governs the time of rebirth, being one of the subsidiary branches of the Law of Karma.
176. We remember that the Law of Karma is an “Intermediary Law”, positioned between the three cosmic laws and the seven systemic laws.177. The fifth ray is a highly mathematical ray. The “time of rebirth” is calculated with mathematical precision by the Lords of Karma. All manner of cycles have to be taken into consideration.178. DK is telling us that the "Law of Fixation" is “one of the subsidiary branches of the Law of Karma”.179. Those who are upon the fifth ray take a cosmic Path which leads to “Absolute Sonship” and the possibility of becoming a Lipika Lord. It is, among many other things, a mathematical Path.180. Sirius is the source of the Law of Karma as far as our solar system is concerned. The faculty of manas is highly developed on Sirius; it is great manasic star and thus expresses the fifth ray, just as does the "Law of Fixation".
Each of the seven subsidiary laws is linked to one of the cosmic laws, or with the Sirian Law of Karma.
181. This is an important point. Earlier it seemed that each of the seven systemic laws must be linked with one or other of the three cosmic laws. This is true in a way, but here DK offers another option—“or within the Sirian Law of Karma”.182. The "Law of Fixation" is definitely linked with the Sirian Law of Karma. I would not be surprised of the "Law of Magnetic Control" is also linked.
We need always to remember that the consciousness of the cosmic mental plane is the logoic goal of attainment,
183. Our Solar Logos is not yet mentally polarized and is seeking to become so.
and that the Sirian Logos is to our solar Logos what the human Ego is to the personality.
184. The Sirian Logos (the Logos of the star Sirius, and perhaps of the small companion star, Sirius B) is mentally polarized.185. We have the division—when the polarization is astral, the focus is still personal. When the polarization is mental, the polarization can be egoic.
The Law of Karma, or cosmic Fixation, is the law of the cosmic mental plane, and controls the corresponding law in our system.
186. Here we have a direct statement confirming what was earlier suggested. Not only is the "Law of Fixation" an aspect of the Sirian Law of Karma but the Sirian Law of Karma is a "Law of Fixation"—a cosmic "Law of Fixation".187. The idea is that each cosmic law has lower correspondences within the system. The systemic "Law of Fixation" is the systemic correspondence to the cosmic "Law of Fixation"—the Sirian Law of Karma.188. The Solar Angels which attend the human race must have much to do with the systemic "Law of Fixation". There are logoic Solar Angels on the cosmic mental plane, and they probably have much to do with the cosmic "Law of Fixation".
A solar Logos uses for His energy centres the planetary schemes, each of which embodies a peculiar type of energy, and each of which, therefore, vibrates to the key of the logoic solar Angel, of which the human solar Angel is a dim reflection. (TCF 1161)
In the fifth round this law will act as the divider, temporarily crystallising and fixing into two great classes the human Monads, as they evolve.
189. The fifth ray expresses itself through the “Law of Cleavages” or of division.190. Initiation itself is an ‘act of fiery fixation’. Electrical Uranus, associated with the Hierophant, and with the first and fifth rays, carries the power of ‘electrical fixation’. Perhaps this is what the Rod of Power provides during the initiation ceremony.191. The classes which are divided one from another are really classes of human monads. Some of these Monads work through personalities which are “on the Path” and some through personalities which are not—yet.192. We see that all such division is only temporary, and we may infer that after the period of division, greater unities lie ahead.193. When fixation occurs a law is in progress. A ring-pass-not is created and one cannot violate the law (first ray) by moving outside the ring-pass-not.194. That which is crystallized cannot move. The fifth ray fixes the consciousness of certain entities within a certain field of experience. The field is set and cannot be breached.
One group then (containing those who will reach the goal), will pass gradually out from under the domination of this law, and will come under the Law of Magnetic Control.
195. These are those who are on their way into the realm of the spiritual triad. They are transferring from the auspices of the fifth law to the auspices of the fourth. They are the five becoming the four. From manas they pass to buddhi via buddhi-manas.196. Earlier in the text we studied how many fifths or tenths would reach the sixth, fifth or third initiations, or would be in earlier stages of the Path. (cf. TCF 422)
The other will remain under the law in a static condition,
197. Fixation produces stasis.
until in a later period a fresh opportunity will come;
198. Will this opportunity come upon the Earth or on another sphere, such as the planet Mars? Or on both at different times?199. When this second group goes into temporary pralaya, will the condition be one of stasis? This seems to be the implication.
old forms will break, and in another mahamanvantara, and in its fifth period, will come the chance for which they will have waited, when they can again swing into the current of evolution and the imprisoned spirits may mount again towards their source.
200. Little has been said of those who at the "Judgment Day" will be sent into pralaya and, thence, transferred to another sphere for development suitable to them.201. Will these segregated Monads (two-fifths) have to wait until another solar system to resume their progressive activity, or is the word “mahamanvantara” variously used, sometimes meaning an entire occult century and sometimes a rather shorter span of time.202. Is it being suggested that the transference of the two-fifths into pralaya and thence, into another sphere, is a retardation and imprisonment, or that opportunity is offered in this transference? When transferred are they somehow removed “from the current of evolution”, having only later to return.203. We note the following suggesting that the two-fifths may not go into a condition of stasis. It seems to be suggested that the place to which they are transferred will be a place of nurture.
These two fifths will pass into temporary pralaya, preparatory to their transference to another scheme, as the Earth scheme will no longer provide for them an adequate place of nurture. (TCF 391)
204. It is interesting that only when a designated fifth cycle returns can then again reach the point of opportunity which was presented to them at the "Judgment Day".205. That fifth period in another “mahamanvantara” is a kind of fifth round. Will it be a scheme-round (in which case the term “mahamanvantara” will mean a span much less than an occult century) or will it be a ‘systemic-round’ through a solar system and its various planets, in which case the term “mahamanvantara” will mean, exactly, an occult century.
In an occult sense this law is for us the one with which we are the most intimately concerned.
206. This is so because we are in process of transferring from the fourth kingdom of nature into the fifth.207. The "Law of Fixation" touches on our very humanity and its possible spiritualization.
It plays an important part in the hands of the Lords of Flame, and is one of Their main factors in controlling the three worlds.
208. The Solar Angels are really karmic Agents. Since the "Law of Fixation" is really a lesser Law of Karma (which is a greater “Law of Fixation”), we can understand that the Solar Angels would wield it.209. We remember also that the "Law of Magnetic Control" is another law by means of which the personality and even the ego in the causal body are controlled—presumably by the Solar Angel (and also by the Monad).
Note here an interesting fact, that Venus is the sixth planet (esoterically the second), and is in her [Page 593] fifth round, and hence is ahead of us along every line.
210. Venus has a sixth ray Monad (but this is not her “major” monadic ray). To say that Venus is the “sixth planet” correlates with this sixth ray Monad.211. To say that Venus is “esoterically the second” correlates with ‘her’ major monadic ray, the second.212. We remember that in Chart VI of TCF, Venus is shown as the second planetary scheme, and in Chart VII as the second chain. This is the more occult representation and correlates with ‘her’ deeply esoteric second ray Monad.213. Notice that the term “her” is used in relation to Venus, indicating ‘her’ temporarily feminine nature, for ‘she’ is in a feminine incarnation.214. The round in which Venus finds herself is a ‘planetary round’ or a ‘scheme round’. It is a round which concerns the entire planetary scheme and not just a chain within the scheme.215. We, on the other hand, are the fourth planet and are in our fourth scheme-round as well as the fourth chain round of the fourth chain. On Earth we have not yet made the transition from the four to the five. And still, in another way, we are preoccupied with the five and have not entered the synthesis which the four makes possible.
This law demonstrates the static quality of love, static temporarily, but necessarily so when viewed from the standpoint of time, the great deluder.
216. We must relate the "Law of Fixation" to experience upon the Fixed Cross—the Cross of the Soul.217. Through the soul we experience ‘fixed love’ or ‘static love’—a type of love which is non-fluctuating.218. Upon the higher mental plane where the "Law of Fixation" also applies, there is experienced one phase of the overcoming of the illusion of time. A more complete overcoming occurs in relation to the buddhic plane at and after the fourth degree.219. Why is time called “the great deluder”? “Time then and form agree. Being and Time do not agree.” Time veils Being. Saturn veils Uranus (Space, the Heavenly One, and the ‘God of Simultaneity’).
On the path of involution this law again works with the permanent atoms in the three worlds, with the building in of material around those atoms, in connection with the building devas and the reincarnating Egos.
220. We see that the "Law of Fixation" is also a constructive law. It contributes to the building process before contributing to the process of destruction221. Along this line, the fifth ray is not only related to the first but also to the second. In fact, it is closely related to the third. This threefold relationship must be closely examined when we study the Word of Power, “Three Minds Unite”.222. Presumably the “building in of material around those atoms” means the building of the vehicles through which the Ego is to function.223. This building-in and the building, in general, must be a highly technical and ‘karmically mathematical’ process, for which the fifth ray is needed.224. There is much scientific knowledge required for work with the permanent atoms. The members so the Fifth Creative Hierarchy (the Solar Angels) have this type of knowledge.
The devas are the mother aspect, the builders of the body, and the reincarnating Jivas are the son aspect; yet the two are but one, and the result is the divine hermaphroditic man. [See page 512.]
225. The Planetary Logos is a Divine Hermaphrodite; so is man on a lesser scale.226. We are dealing with the mystery of the Mother and the Son. The Jiva is the Son—the solar aspect in man. The Jiva is emanative extension of the monadic “spark”. It is sun-like.227. If any relationship is to be stable, some degree of fixity is required. Fixation leads to stabilization and stabilization leads to the perpetuation of relationship. Perpetuated relationships can be equated with perpetuated forms through which man can manifest. Without the "Law of Fixation", man would have no stable vehicles through which to manifest.
6. The Law of Love.—It is not easy, in this brief digest, to approach the tremendous problem of the place love plays in the evolving scheme of things as understood by three-dimensional man.
228. In the higher reaches of our identity we are more than “three dimensional man”, and perhaps must repair to those heights in order to understand the true nature of Love.
A treatise could be written on the subject, and yet leave it unexhausted.
229. When DK says this, He means exactly what He says.230. He can foresee how a subject could be elaborated. His task, in giving us all these writings, is to essentialize His voluminous vision and understanding. It must have been a great act of discrimination to decide what to write about and in what length. Obviously, our capacity to assimilate and the time available to us to assimilate, must have presented Him with a very great challenge.
Much light comes if we can ponder deeply on the three expressions of Love: Love in the Personality, Love in the Ego, and Love in the Monad.
231. These three, and the laws with which they correlate are constantly repeated in the sections of text we have been studying during this and the preceding commentary.
Love in the Personality gradually develops through the stages of love of self, pure and simple and entirely selfish, to love of family and friends, to love of men and women, until it arrives at the stage of love of humanity or group love consciousness which is the predominant characteristic of the Ego.
232. DK has given us an important developmental sequence. Let us try to fix it in mind through tabulation:233. Love in the Personality develops in the following sequence:a. Love of self, pure and simple, and entirely selfishb. Love of family and friendsc. Love of men and women who are not necessarily family and friendsd. Love of humanity in general—group love. This is the kind of love which expresses itself through the Ego.
A Master of Compassion loves, suffers with, and remains with His kind and with His kin.
234. DK is telling us about the motivation and life process of a Master of Compassion. Perhaps this type of Master is distinguished somewhat from a Master of the Wisdom.
In the hierarchy of our planet the "Lords of Compassion" are numerically greater than the "Masters of the Wisdom." The former must therefore all pass to the sun Sirius there to undergo a tremendous manasic stimulation, for Sirius is the emanating source of manas. There the mystic must go and become what is called "a spark of mahatic electricity." (TCF 1243)
235. Let us think of the Christ:a. He loved human beingsb. He suffered and suffers with human beingsc. He remained and remains with human being, to all of whom He feels related.236. The Christ is both a “Master of the Wisdom” and a “Lord of Compassion”.
Love in the Ego gradually develops from love of humanity into love universal—a love that expresses not only love of humanity, but also love of the deva evolutions in their totality, and of all forms of divine manifestation.
237. We now continue with the development of love. When tracing the development of Love in the Personality, we arrived finally at group love. When discussing Love in the Ego, we now begin with group love or love of humanity—a wider form of group love.238. Love in the Ego develops through the following stages:a. Love of the groupb. Love of humanityc. Love universal—including with a love of humanity, the love of the deva evolutions and of all forms of divine manifestation.239. Ever the love becomes more and more inclusive.
Love in the Personality is love in the three worlds; love in the Ego is love in the solar system, and all that it contains; whilst love in the Monad demonstrates a measure of cosmic love, and embraces much that is outside the solar system altogether.
240. Here is an excellent comparison:241. The three vibratory domains compared are:a. The three worlds wherein Love in the Personality prevailsb. The seven world or seven solar planes wherein Love in the solar system prevailsc. Extra-systemic or Cosmic Love wherein “love in the Monad” prevails.242. The consciousness and love of the Monad reaches beyond even our solar system. Does the Monad begin to relate in love to the Seven Solar Systems of Which Ours is One? Is such love at least Sirian in nature?243. Or does “love in the Monad” embrace that part of our Solar Logos which lies ‘above’ our cosmic physical plane—such as the astral nature of the Logos and His mental nature, leading eventually to the Heart of the Sun—His causal nature on the cosmic mental plane.
[Page 594]This term "The Law of Love," is after all too generic a term to apply to one law governing one plane, but will have to suffice for the present, as it conveys the type of idea that is needed, to our minds.
244. DK realizes that one cannot confine the great “Law of Love” to one plane alone. It pervades the entire cosmic physical plane and cosmic planes beyond. So it is being used for want of a better term.245. This is why He called it earlier the “astral Law of Love”.
The Law of Love is in reality but the law of the system in demonstration on all the planes.246. Here DK gives a wider definition of the "Law of Love"247. When we call it the law of the system, we should not confine ourselves to the etheric-physical nature of the Solar Logos, but to other and higher cosmic aspects. Our Logos is a “God of Love” in his astral, mental and higher mental nature as well as in His etheric-physical nature.
Love was the impelling motive for manifestation, and love it is that keeps all in ordered sequence; love bears all on the path of return to the Father's bosom, and love eventually perfects all that is. It is love that builds the forms that cradle temporarily the inner hidden life, and love is the cause of the disruption of those forms, and their utter shattering, so that the life may further progress. Love manifests on each plane as the urge that drives the evolving Monad onwards to its goal, and love is the key to the deva kingdom, and the reason of the blending of the two kingdoms eventually into the divine Hermaphrodite.248. Here is a magnificent paragraph defining the nature of Love.249. The Solar Logos is Love and so Love must be defined broadly and inclusively:250. Let us tabulate what we are learning about the nature of Love, for the sake of greater impression:a. Love is the impelling motive for manifestation. Love is archetypal relationship. The Divine Archetype expresses this relationship. That Archetype is magnetic and draws all units towards such relationship.b. Love keeps all in ordered sequence. Those who belong to each other (through Love) find each other and come and go in ordered cycles. They do not break their magnetic affinity with each other and cycle in and out accordingly.c. Love bears all on the Path of Return to the Father’s Bosom. The Monad in the Father’s Bosom is a great Magnet.d. Love eventually perfects all that is. Love orders all into archetypal relationship. Such an ordering leads to perfection.e. Love builds the forms that temporarily cradle the inner life. Love provides vehicles for the expression of the inner life. Life invites the inner life into expression through form and protects that inner life as it expresses through form.f. Love is the cause of the disruption of such forms so that the inner hidden life may progress. A greater Love attracts the inner life beyond the form created (which, then, must be destroyed). This attraction and destruction recur until the forms created are the Archetypal Forms.g. Love manifests as the urge that drives the evolving Monad on to its goal. Does Love drive or does it attract? The Monad longs for the return to perfected relationship.h. Love is the key to the deva kingdom. This kingdom is the great feminine aspect and lovingly offers itself as a vehicle for the expression for the consciousness aspect. When in the “Love”, one summons the devas wisely and builds with them wisely. An ordered and beautiful life is the result.i. Love is the reason for the blending of the two kingdoms eventually into the Divine Hermaphrodite. Love insists on completeness and inclusion. The two poles must come together to make the whole. Love brings these poles together—man and deva.
Love works through the concrete rays in the building of the system, and in the rearing of the structure that shelters the Spirit,
251. How shall we look at the terms “concrete” and “abstract” in this context?252. Earlier we considered one—three—five—seven concrete, and especially rays five and seven.253. We considered that the ‘mystic line’ of two—four—six held the “abstract rays”.254. We recall, however, that it is also possible to consider rays five, six and seven the “concrete rays” and rays one, two and three the “abstract rays”.
and love works through the abstract rays for the full and potent development of that inherent divinity.
255. Perhaps in this context it would be wise to consider abstract and concrete differently than before, for it is the Rays of Attribute which build the persona and the Rays of Aspect which develop the Attributes of divinity so that they can express the Aspect.
Love demonstrates, through the concrete rays, the aspects of divinity, forming the persona that hides the one Self; love demonstrates through the abstract rays in developing the attributes of divinity, in evolving to fullest measure the
within. kingdomof God
256. This is beautifully stated. The “aspects of divinity” are definitely expressed by the Rays of Aspect—rays one, two and three. These abstract qualities expressed through the Rays of Aspect develop the “Attributes” of divinity as the “Aspects” express through the “Attributes”.257. But in all fairness, DK has been turning these words “aspects” and “attributes” in various ways, so there is no entirely clear delineation. It seems very likely that there are at least two different ways of understanding the words “abstract rays” and “concrete rays”.258. If one studies the section of text above, one could come to the conclusion that the term “attributes” indicates something more subjective than the term “aspects”, but clearly Rays of Aspect are the more general, inclusive rays and Rays of Attribute are more specific and more concrete.259. We have to follow every sentence closely to see exactly what may evolution meant.
Love in the concrete rays leads to the path of occultism; love in the abstract rays leads to that of the mystic.
260. But now we have the other point of view. The rays on the one—three—five—seven line are definitely the rays which lead to the “path of occultism”. They are not the rays of the mystic. So if this is what DK means by concrete, then the concrete rays are one, three, five and seven.261. AND, the rays of the mystic are definitely the two—four—six line. So even though the Rays of Aspect are abstract when compared to the Rays of Attribute, in the context of this particular section of text, we must relate the abstract rays to the mystical line—rays two, four and six.
Love forms the sheath and inspires the life; love causes the logoic vibration to surge forward, carrying all on its way, and bringing all to perfected manifestation.
262. Behind all these rays is the Great Indigo Ray of Love-Wisdom. It is Solar Love which uses all the rays and all the divine aspects.263. Love uses the occult rays and the mystical rays. Love uses the abstract rays and the concrete rays. Love uses the Rays of Aspect and the Rays of Attribute.264. We have two different ways of view ing the concept of concrete and abstract, but whichever is correct (and also if both are correct) it is Love that uses these lines of expression.
In System I, Activity, Desire for Expression, and the Impulse to Move was the basic note.
265. Even now those upon the third ray express this “Impulse to Move”. Stillness and centeredness, on the other hand, are the natural expression of many upon the second ray.266. The “Desire for Expression” is related to the seventh ray “Will-to-Express”. The seventh ray, so closely related to the third, was strong in the previous solar system. (cf. EA 605)267. Virgo, the sign of the zodiac which was powerful in the second half of the previous solar system is hypothesized as having expressed at that time through the third and seventh rays, whereas now it expresses through the second and sixth.268. Or shall we say that at that time the third and seventh rays expressed through Virgo and now the second and sixth rays express through it?269. There are various sources of rays; some may express through a constellation and some may be expressed by a constellations (emitted rather than transmitted as in the first case).
That activity produced certain results, certain permanent effects, and thus formed the nucleus for the present system.
270. These “results” became the basic, “primordial” patterns upon which our present solar system was founded.
Ordered Activity is the foundation of this system of ordered [Page 595] Love,
271. The third and seventh rays combine. It is as if Virgo (the sign so prominent during the later part of the previous system) gave birth to our system, the second major system.272. We are also reminded of the nature of a certain One About Whom Naught May Be Said which can be studied in EP I 150, wherein the “active impulse towards organization” is a major quality.273. A system of “ordered Love” suggests the union of the seventh and second rays. The Monads on the second or seventh plane are an expression of “ordered Love”.
and leads to system three, wherein ordered Activity, with ordered Love for its impulse, results in ordered loving Power.
274. We must not dismiss ray three as a ray of order. We sometimes think of it as a ray of chaos, but when highly developed all proceeds cyclically and intelligently—at the right time and in the right place. In other words, ray three contributes significantly to the establishing of order. Ray seven is a more concrete expression of ray three just as it is a more concrete expression of ray one. Ray seven is especially related to these two rays.275. So in the third system there is ordered, loving power—rays three/seven—two—one.276. Each system is built upon the accomplishments of the system preceding.
The sixth Ray of devotion and the sixth law of love have a close alliance, and on the sixth plane comes the powerful working out in the lower Triad, the Personality, of the Law of Love.
277. If we learn how to think in terms of ‘numerical affinity’ we shall begin to understand the “Science of Relations”
On the astral plane, the home of the desires, originate those feelings which we call personal love;
278. Personal love is based on “feelings”. It is occultly lunar and is not really an expression of the love of the soul—a solar form of love.
in the lowest type of human being this shows itself as animal passion;
279. In this respect the planet Mars, the sign Libra (“unbalanced fiery passion”—EA 333) and personal love under the "astral Law of Love" go together.
as evolution proceeds it shows itself as a gradual expansion of the love faculty, passing through the stages of love of mate, love of family, love of surrounding associates, to love of one's entire environment; patriotism gives place later to love of humanity, often humanity as exemplified in one of the Great Ones.
280. A low grade, strictly personal love can develop into something higher.281. Let us trace that development in a tabulation: Passionate personal love can become:a. The gradual expansion of the love facultyb. Love of mate and familyc. Love of surrounding associatesd. Love of one’s entire environmente. Love of one’s country—patriotismf. Love of humanityg. Perhaps we should add love of the Divine Plan and the planet
The astral plane is, at the present time, the most important for us, for in desire—not corrected or transmuted—lies the difference between the personal consciousness and that of the Ego.
282. If we wish to understand the difference between personal consciousness and egoic consciousness, it is in the difference between uncorrected, untransmuted desire and soul-illumined mentality.283. Does desire ‘look up’ or does it ‘look down’? This is a fundamental question:a. In the strictly personal human being, desire looks downward or outward, horizontallyb. In the disciple desire looks ‘up’.c. In the initiate, desire is transmuted into loving-desire and eventually into pure love.
FOOTNOTE 85:Why do we consider this matter of the devas of the middle system (as we might call those connected with this system and with buddhi and kamamanas) in our consideration of thought forms? For two reasons: One is that all that is in the solar system is but substance energised from the cosmic mental and astral planes, and built into form through the power of electrical law;
284. We have here the important idea that the solar system is energized from both the cosmic mental plane and the cosmic astral plane.285. Form is built through “electrical law”. “Electrical law” is that which pertains to the cosmic physical plane and is impulsed from the Pleiades.286. The devas are built into thoughtforms; thus they are considered in this section on thoughtforms.
all that can be known is but forms ensouled by ideas.
287. This statement simplifies things considerably. Let us think of that which we think we know. Is there anything in this collection of contents of consciousness other than forms ensouled by ideas? Or do we, perhaps, think we contact ideas directly?
Secondly, that in the knowledge of the creative processes of the system, man learns for himself how in time to become a creator.
288. When we study thoughtforms we are studying creativity. Our objective is to become co-creators with the Divine Life. By the study of how forms have been created we will learn how to create forms—presumably those which accord with the Divine Plan.
We might illustrate this by remarking that one of the main functions of the Theosophical movement in all its many branches is to build a form which can be ensouled, in due time, by the idea of Brotherhood.
289. We students of AAB are still members of the Theosophical movement even if not of the Theosophical Society.290. The Tibetan is saying something really important here. Has the failure been complete, or it is still possible to salvage something of the Theosophical thoughtform?291. Perhaps we in the AAB movement are beginning to respond to this note of Brotherhood more than hitherto. There is a great “idea of Brotherhood”. It is a living Being. We can build utilizing the energy of love and the form will be resonant to the great idea.292. It is not by accident that the Tibetan begins speaking of Venus in this context, for the true era of Brotherhood will enter during the last third of the Aquarian Age when the planet Venus becomes the decanate ruler that period.
In the sixth Scheme, that of Venus, this can be seen clearly; it is the scheme of love.
293. Here DK simply uses the number six. Six is the number of the Venusian Monad, though not of its major monadic ray.294. In occultism we read so much of the fifth ray in relation to Venus, and yet it is a scheme of love. The fifth ray (though related to the second ray) is not exclusively or even (at this time) principally a ray of love. So the love emanating from the Venus-scheme must come from other levels of the Venusian ray nature.
Viewed from one angle, the Venusian Scheme is the second, and from another it is the sixth.
295. We have been reviewing this idea. We hypothesize that by travelling in a counter clockwise direction, Venus is encountered as the second scheme and is ruled by its second ray Monad—its hypothesized major monadic ray. Traveling in the clockwise direction, Venus is encountered as sixth in order. This it presumably the ‘mystical’ way of travel.296. The close connection to Jupiter is understood by the fact that they both share the same scheme numbers—either two or six.
It depends upon whether we reason from the circumference to the centre or the reverse.
297. To reason from the circumference to the center is a centripetal motion and correlates with the centering, ingathering magnetic energy of Venus.298. If we reason from the center to the periphery, we are following a centrifugal motion more Martian in nature and more exoteric.299. Centrifugality is equivalent to the out-breathing; centripetality is equivalent to in-breathing.
It is the home of the planetary Logos of the sixth Ray.
300. Here is one of the most important statements in the book regarding Venus. We are being told that it has a sixth ray Monad. Whenever the “home” of a planet is discussed, the discussion is focussing on the monadic ray of the planet.301. We know from EP I 420 that Uranus has a Monad on the first ray, and we also know that “Uranus is the home of electric fire” (TCF 1154)302. When thinking of Venus, from yet another perspective, the number two is more occult than the number six. Six is a number which often (under Martian impulse) leads to the periphery. Two is the number of ingathering representing the deep spiritual intimacy which is only achieve through Divine Love.303. When Venus relates to the solar logoic solar plexus center, it does so through its sixth ray; when it relates to the solar logoic heart center it does so through its second ray.304. The monadic ray for Venus is, thus, hypothesized as TWOSIX
This may sound like a contradiction, but it is not so really; we must remember the interlocking, the gradual shifting and changing, that takes place in time on all [Page 596] the Rays.
305. Why is Master DK speaking of “shifting and changing”? May it be that at different times in development of a particular Planetary Logos different rays are emphasized: For instance:a. At a high stage of development the fifth ray soul of Venus is emphasizedb. At a still higher stage of development its sixth ray Monad is emphasized—this is a Spirit-stage of developmentc. At the very highest stage of development its major monadic ray, the second, is emphasized. We may recall that Venus is hypothesized as possessing a second ray personality as well as second ray Monad.
306. If we pause to reflection upon the relationship of Venus and Earth—a Being with a major second ray Monad and one with a major first ray Monad, something of interest and significance may be revealed concerning this relationship.
In the same way the Earth chain is the third if viewed from one aspect and the fifth viewed from another.
307. Why is DK suddenly speaking of “chains” rather than “schemes”? All the foregoing about Venus related to the scheme level. Now we are speaking of the Earth-chain.308. We do remember, however, that theosophically, the term “chain” sometimes stood for “scheme”, probably because the idea of a planetary scheme did not exist (or if it did, was not brought forth in a straightforward manner).309. When we count planetary schemes in Chart VI of TCF we find that Venus is either the second scheme or the sixth.310. When we count planetary schemes in the attempt to find the number of the Earth, we find that, beginning with Vulcan, whichever way we go it is always the fourth.311. If we consider the Earth-chain rather than the Earth-scheme, it also turns out to be the fourth if we count from the starting point.312. If we think about chains rather than schemes, we can eliminate the two subjective chains (
Neptune, the first, and Jupiter the seventh). Then counting backwards, or clockwise (though a strictly clockwise counting is difficult to imagine in the diagrams we are given) we find that Mars and Mercury are counted before the Earth chain which is the third.313. Only when we count schemes rather than chains, and add the two intra-mercurial planets Adonis (hypothesized) and Vulcan is it possible to arrive at the number five in relation to the Earth-scheme—Adonis, Vulcan, Mercury, Venus, Earth—and in doing so we are changing the order of Mercury from its position as the fifth scheme.314. Counting chains, from the Neptunechain forward—we have the Venus-chain, the Saturn-chain, then the Earth-chain—and that is only four. But if we were to insert the Moon-chain, we would have five.315. When the Earth-chain is responding to the personality ray of the Earth, then the three applies. When the response is to the Fifth Creative Hierarchy (under the regime of the second ray), then the five applies.316. In any case the numbers three and five given by the Tibetan in relation to the Earth-chain or Earth-scheme are challenging and there is no immediate resolution.
In the sixth chain of each scheme, this sixth law and the sixth Ray have a very important significance, whilst the seventh chain of each scheme is always synthetic—Love and Activity in a perfect balance.
317. It seems clear that the chains exist simultaneously. The sixth chain will be correlated with the sixth principle, the buddhic principle, which is synthetic, but not completely so.318. The sixth chain of our scheme is the Mars-chain. We can see how Mars might be related to the "Law of Love" and the sixth ray. Mars is not, however, related to the higher form of buddhic love.319. The seventh chain synthesizes the hard and soft line rays. We are speaking of developments within this second solar system. How it will be in future solar systems we do not know.
The same effect can be demonstrated in the sixth Round. In the sixth Round of the present chain of the Earth scheme, the sixth law will demonstrate with great clarity and force, as love shown in brotherhood, love translated or transmuted from the astral to the buddhic.
320. Here again we see the relationship between Venus, the sixth ray, the sixth round and the demonstration of brotherhood. There can be no demonstration of brotherhood unless the buddhic energy expresses; it cannot be demonstrated through the unredeemed astral vehicle.321. We must view the six from three ‘directions’ for given its high destiny, it cannot be entirely astral. We view it:a. As it demonstrates in relation to the astral plane (the sixth from ‘above’)( and the astral bodyb. As it demonstrates in relation to the monadic plane (the sixth from ‘bellow’) and the monadic vehicle.c. As it demonstrates in relation to the buddhic plane upon which the sixth principle is found in expression.
So in the sixth rootrace and the sixth subrace a similar analogy will be seen. Out of the shattered form of the fifth subrace of the fifth root race, built up under the fifth Ray of Concrete Knowledge, with the aid of the fifth Law of Fixation, will emerge the sixth subrace of brotherly love—love shown in the realisation of the one life latent in each Son of God.
322. This is important—even the sixth subrace is to be a race of brotherly love. May it be that the last decanate of the Age of Aquarius will see the flourishing of this sixth subrace?323. Of course, the duration of a subrace is a much longer period than simply the few hundred years required to pass through the last decanate of a sign during a precessional age.324. We have gathered quite a few sixes together and can do the same with each of the other six numbers. Some examples of sixes are:a. The sixth systemic lawb. The sixth plane from ‘above’c. The sixth place from ‘below’d. The sixth schemee. The sixth scheme roundf. The sixth chaing. The sixth chain roundh. The sixth globei. The sixth root race on our globej. The sixth subrace of the fifth root race on our globek. The sixth branch-races of the fifth and sixth subraces of the fifth root race on our globel. Etc.325. One thing stands out and will significant for our historical period: the fifth subrace of the fifth root race will be shattered as the sixth subrace of fifth root race emerges. Are we even now at this time of shattering?
7. The Law of Sacrifice and Death. This law links itself to the third law, that of Disintegration following the connection that always exists between the atmic and the physical plane.
326. The atmic is the most material of the first three systemic planes and, hence, its connection with the most material of the seven systemic planes—the etheric-physical plane.
The Law of Disintegration controls the fivefold destruction of forms in the five lower worlds, and the Law of Death controls similarly in the three worlds.
327. The "Law of Disintegration" rules the death process on the atmic plane and on all the four planes which the atmic plane surmounts.328. The "Law of Sacrifice and Death" (here called simply the “Law of Death”), although correlated with the lowest or seven systemic plane, seems to pertain to the lower two and a half systemic planes.329. We must ask: “Is each destruction of forms in each of the lower five lower worlds fivefold process?” “Or is the term ‘fivefold’ used because there are five types of forms to be destroyed—one for each of the five planes from the atmic to the systemic etheric-physical?”330. Certain forms found in the five lower worlds can be understood as fivefold and, when destruction comes, all five aspects of such forms would be destroyed. The causal body is one form which can be interpreted as fivefold, depending on the perspective.331. The fivefold five-pointed star may be considered the symbol of forms which are found within the Brahmic worlds—from the atmic plane to the physical.
It is subsidiary to the third law. The Law of Sacrifice is the Law of Death in the subtle bodies, whilst what we call death is the analogous thing in the physical body.
332. This is an extremely illuminating statement. This seventh law with which we are concerned has two nouns associated with it (“sacrifice” and “death”) whereas the other laws have only one—vibration, cohesion, disintegration, magnetic control, fixation and love.333. Death and sacrifice are to be considered synonymous terms. The term “death” has peculiar relation to the outer physical plane. Sacrifice involves the psychology of relinquishment and naturally pertains to the subtle bodies as the indweller learns to detach from them.
This law governs the gradual disintegration of concrete forms and their sacrifice to the evolving life, and is closely linked in its manifestation with the seventh Ray.
334. It would appear that the concrete forms which are disintegrated and sacrificed belong to the three lower worlds. The lunar life must be at the disposal of the inner, evolving solar life—the inner consciousness/being.335. From one perspective, the seventh ray rules all that is ‘outer’ and ‘lower’; it rules especially the form and all formulated relationships which must be sacrificed.
This Ray is the one that largely controls, that manipulates, that geometrises and that holds sway over the form side, governing the elemental forces of nature.
336. Let us tabulate the manner in which the seventh ray functions:a. It controls the form sideb. It manipulates the form sidec. It geometrizes the form sided. It holds sway over the form sidee. In general, it governs the elemental forces of nature.337. The elementals ‘have no wings’. The seventh ray rules both the lower lives who have no wings and those higher devas who do. Saturn may be associated with the elementals and Uranus with the winged devas.338. In its aspect of control the seventh ray is much like the first. In its power to manipulate it is like the third ray (and to a degree) the fifth ray. In its ability to geometrize it is similar to the second ray.339. From one perspective, the seventh ray is the synthesis of all the rays as they work towards manifestation
The physical plane is the most concrete exemplification of the form side;
340. Forms, however, exist on subtler planes as well. Physical plane forms are simply the most concrete exemplifications of form.
it holds the divine life imprisoned or [Page 597] enmeshed at its densest point, and it works at this time in line with the seventh law.
341. Physical plane processes contribute to the death and sacrifice of the inner life-consciousness, enveloping it.342. In one way the seventh ray is a ‘ray of imprisonment’. In another way, through alchemical processes, it is a ray of ‘transmutative release’.343. The word “enmeshed” presents an important image of ‘energy entanglement’. We are bound to the physical plane by many threads of energy and force.344. Regarding ‘enmeshment’ the following is significant:
There is no such thing as concretion in reality; there is only force of different kinds, and the effect produced on consciousness by their interplay TCF 528-529)
In a mysterious way this law is the reverse side of the first, or the Law of Vibration. It is Vulcan and Neptune in opposition, which is as yet an almost incomprehensible thing for us.
345. This is one of the more occult references in the book. Vulcan is clearly the planet associated with the "Law of Vibration". We do see how the Tibetan constantly invokes astrology to explain various ideas and laws presented in TCF.346. It is, however, difficult to associate
Neptunewith the physical plane, though its associations with death and sacrifice are clear. Death signals an escape from a confining environment; sacrifice signals selfless renunciation. Both escape and renunciation are ruled by Neptune.347. Interestingly, the fifth of the liberated Creative Hierarchies (which has a relationship to the lowest level of the cosmic astral plane—its intended field of expression—is ruled by Neptune. Cancer is closely associated with the seventh ray, and this Cancerian Hierarchy will form the seventh ray foundation of the cosmic astral plane.348. We can consider the relationship as the relinquishment of confining form ( Neptune) in order to more fully respond to the measure and frequency required by the "Law of Vibration".349. Vulcan, in one respect, is a planet of density and concretion; Neptunea planet of refined ethereality. There is a natural qualitative opposition between the two of them.350. From another perspective, Vulcan is close to the reality of the Solar Logos and the outer expression of Neptunerepresents illusion.351. These two planets, however, have something quite in common—their relationship to the Heart of the Sun. Neptune has a second ray Monad and Vulcan is hypothesized as expressing a fourth ray Monad, with a still more essential second ray Monad. The major monadic rays of all B/beings must be either one, two or three.
The densest form of expression on the physical plane is after all but a form of synthesis; just as the rarest form of expression on the highest plane is but unity or synthesis of a finer kind.
352. With respect to synthesis on the highest plane, we might call it a ‘disassociated’ unity or synthesis of a fiery kind, for we are dealing there with the "
". Seaof Fire353. In every synthesis, obstructive separations which prevent all contained units from fusion are eliminated.354. Neptunefunctions in the relationship between desire and form. It is the magnetic property of desire which holds forms together. Thus, desire substands density.355. We must remember that the number six has often been associated with the form. What seven provides is almost the automatic result of the magnetic holding power of the six.
One is the synthesis of matter, and the other the synthesis of life.
356. Thus, are the seven and the one related. The Word of Power for the seventh ray is apt in this context: “The Highest and the Lowest Meet”.
This law governs the seventh chain in each scheme;
357. Once the ‘turn’ is made (of which the fourth chain is the pivotal point), the higher the chain number, the more refined should be its expression.358. When the seventh chain of the scheme is fully developed by the time has come for the death and sacrifice of the lower forms.
each chain having achieved the fullest expression possible in the scheme, comes under the Law of Death, and obscuration and disintegration supervenes.
359. We see that this seventh law applies not only to the seventh chain, but to the seventh phase of development in any chain, after which the Law of Death supervenes.360. Under the Law of Economy it is not permitted to perpetuate that which has achieved its full development. If not further progress is possible through a form, Nature degrees the death of that form.361. We can understand that although a particular law may apply most to a particular scheme or chain, all laws apply in some measure to all schemes and chains.
In a cosmic sense and analogy, it is the law that governs the coming in of pralaya at the end of a system.
362. The final form is dies and is, in a sense, sacrificed to ensure the further development of the life which expresses through that form.363. The seventh phrase represents the end leading to pralaya, and Neptune (a ruler in a special sense, of Pisces) is the planet most associated with pralaya. Thus are the seven, the seventh law and Neptune associated.
It is the law that shatters the cross of the cosmic Christ, and places the form of the Christ within the tomb for a period of time.
364. The “cross” is the form. The life bound to the cross must be liberated and this "Law of Sacrifice and Death" sees to that liberation.365. When the elements of the form return unto the “reservoir of life” the time period of the tomb is suggested.366. The time of resurrection will come and the constituents of form will be elevated under the galvanic impetus of the indwelling life.367. In a strange reversal, Vulcan associated with the first ray and the highest law suggests the act of shattering, and
Neptune, associated with the seventh plane and seventh law suggests the upward-rising process of resurrection. Neptuneis very closely connected with attraction upwards.
The Principle of Mutation. In concluding the above information about the laws, it is needful that we all recognise the extreme danger of dogmatising about these matters, and the risk of laying down hard and fast rules. Much must remain unexplained and untouched, and much also will serve to raise only questions in our minds. Comprehension is as yet impossible.
368. DK is sounding a note of caution to those who would reduce all that has been said into concrete mental formulations. In such a case the mind would be the “slayer of the real”.369. Fluidity of perspective depending upon changing context is ever required.370. DK is but indicating a process, concerning which, much, very much, has yet to be learned by the average student of occultism.371. Great patience is required when studying these matters—the patience not just of a life-time but of many life-times.
Until fourth-dimensional sight is ours, it will scarcely be possible for us to do more than hint at, and get a passing vision of, the complexity and the interweaving in the system.
372. The great principles of occultism are simple. The working out of these principles engages us in extreme complexity and intricacy unfathomable to the human mind.373. If we can catch but a glimpse of that which DK hints, it is at least something.374. This is why it is important to identify the ‘energy threads’ which are used in the process of ‘Divine Weaving’. If we can identify the threads from the first, we can later see how they are woven into complex ‘fabrics-of-creation’.375. Fourth dimensional sight is connected with buddhi; the energy of the intuition will clarify much that the mind finds inextricably complex.
It is not easy for us to do more than grip as a mental concept the fact that the rays, schemes, planets, chains, rounds, races and laws form a unit;
376. The mind wishes to distinguish these factors, one from another. In fact the lesser of these are nested in the greater, and a great Unity pervades them all.377. All the factors presented are interwoven. To the degree that we can, using Mercury, move from one to the other with ease, to that degree we can behold their interwoven relationship.378. A completely different state of mind characterized by “pure reason” is required to fathom their intricate interdependency.379. We need the capacities offered by Mercury—whether as the planet of reasoning or the planet of “pure reason”.
seen from the angle of human vision the confusion seems unimaginable, and the key of its solution to be so hidden as to be useless;
380. Thus, very great patience is required of us as we pull upon the threads of life seeking to disentangle the confusion of concepts which probably characterizes the contents of our mind.381. We are obliged to change our human angle of vision into something much higher—the angle of vision of (minimally) the soul.
yet, seen from the angle of logoic sight, [Page 598] the whole moves in unison, and is geometrically accurate.
382. One way of defining “logoic sight” is the perspective seen from the logoic plane. We are speaking (at least in part) of the perspective of the seventh degree initiate, for whom the logoic plane is ‘home’.383. If we elevate our perspective, the geometrical movement foundational to the interplay of rays, laws, planes, and aspects of our systemic and planetary constitution will gradually clarify.
In order to give some idea of the complexity of the arrangement, I would like here to point out that the Rays themselves circulate, the Law of Karma controlling the interweaving.
384. DK is hinting at the idea of ray cycles and how these cycles are determined by the Intermediary Law of Karma.385. Since, for us, this Law of Karma has a Sirian origin, He seems to be telling us that Sirius controls the circulation of the rays.386. We remember that the rays rotate from “north to south” and the planes from “east to west”.
For instance, Ray I may pass around a scheme (if it is the paramount Ray of the scheme) with its first subray manifesting in a chain, its second in a round, its third in a world period, its fourth in a root race, its fifth in a subrace, and its sixth in a branch race.
387. Here is an example of the ordered complexity by means of which a ray may manifest in a scheme.388. We note that a ray will pass around a scheme—this definitely suggests what we have called a ‘scheme round’.389. What do we mean by the “paramount ray of the scheme”? May we think of this as the principal ray of the Planetary Logos Who is manifesting through that scheme? This may or may not be His monadic ray. Much will depend upon the point in evolution He has reached. The “paramount ray” of our Planetary Logos is not yet His first ray Monad. At least the first ray is not His most effective ray at this time.390. We see the possibility of an amazing subdivision. It seems that all subrays of the Planetary Logos can be manifesting simultaneously in a given chain, but manifesting in very different ways. When we take into consideration the diversity of chains and the diversity of possible modes of manifestation, we are presented with a picture of unfathomable complexity (at least for us at our particular stage of understanding).391. DK does not speak of a seventh sub-ray, and yet we may presume that all rays have seven sub-rays.392. What smaller structure follows a branch-race? Perhaps it is that structure to which the seven subray can apply.
I give this in illustration, and not as the statement of a fact in present manifestation.
393. The illustration that DK presents may or may not be a possible arrangement at some point in the manifestation of a planetary scheme. What we are being told that it is, apparently, not an arrangement which is operative at this present time in manifestation.
This gives us some idea of the vastness of the process, and of its wonderful beauty. It is impossible for us, sweeping through on some one Ray, to visualise or in any way to apprehend this beauty;
394. Who is sweeping through on some one ray? Is it we as a planetary manifestation? Or is DK speaking of our individual condition as we sweep through on some soul ray or monadic ray?395. We realize that our ray identification and conditioning imposes limitation on the scope and depth of our perception.396. We are simply to apprehend the possibility of an ordered beauty of great intricacy—all factors working together for completeness of expression.
yet, to those on higher levels and with a wider range of vision, the gorgeousness of the design is apparent.
397. Gradually, this is what we seek to achieve—a vision of that incredible beauty as seen from higher planes. Step by step, as we correlate the functions of the various energies, we work towards this vision.
This complexity is for us very much increased because we do not yet understand the principle governing this mutation.
398. Here we find DK identifying with “us”. Perhaps He, however, understands a great deal more of the “principle governing this mutation” than we do.399. For us, at this time, it is simply important for us to realize that it is an ordering principle. There is no randomness or happenstance in this beautiful process.
Nor is it possible for even the highest human mind in the three worlds to do more than sense and approximate that principle.
400. Since a Master is still a human being, we may judge that even a Master cannot do more than sense this principle governing mutation.401. We note that DK speaks not of the “highest human mind” but of the “highest human mind in the three worlds”. This is a significant qualifier and points to the thought that the human mind liberated from the illusions of the three worlds may understand much more of the principle of mutation.
By mutation I mean the fact that there is a constant changing and shifting, an endless interweaving and interlocking, and a ceaseless ebb and flow, in the dramatic interplay of the forces that stand for the dual synthesis of Spirit and matter.
402. So that we do not pass over these words descriptive of mutation in too casual a manner, let us list them:a. Constant changingb. Constant shiftingc. Endless weavingd. Endless interlockinge. Ceaseless ebb and flowf. Dramatic interplay of forces403. All of these ‘motions’ pertain to the manner in which Spirit and matter constantly engage.
There is constant rotation in the Rays and planes, in their relative importance from the standpoint of time which is the standpoint most closely associated with us.
404. We recall in an earlier section of text that the rays rotate from north to south and the planes from east to west.405. Since we are still very much bound to time-space conceptions, the motion in time/space of rays and planes is still very important to us.406. Because we are conditioned by time, certain rays and planes will be more important to us at certain times than other rays and planes.407. From a much higher perspective—a perspective unconditioned by time—particular ray and plane cycles would not carry the same emphasis as they do for the one of limited vision.
But we can rest assured that there is some fundamental principle directing all the activities of the Logos in His system, and by wrestling to discover the basic principle on which our microcosmic lives rest, we may discover aspects of this inherent logoic principle.
408. The practical approach is given. If we can discover “the basic principle on which our microcosmic lives rest” we can discover factors fundamental to the expression of our Planetary Logos and even of the greater Logos.409. To the initiate who discovers the key to the changing, shifting, weaving, interlocking, ebb and flow and interplay of energies and forces in his own energy system, something of significance may be disclosed about the same on a much broader scale.410. Practically, then, we have to study the cycles of our own life and the interplay between our various vehicles. Much remains if we are to fulfil the injunction “know thyself”. This is the proper road to a greater understanding of the macrocosm.
This opens to our consideration a wide range of vision, and [Page 599] though it emphasises the complexity of the subject, it also demonstrates the divine magnitude of the scheme, with its magnificent intricacies.
411. As we contemplate these matters, what emerges in our consciousness:a. A wide range of visionb. The disclosure of a subject of great complexityc. A realization of the “divine magnitude of the scheme”, and by this is not necessarily meant only the planetary scheme.d. A disclosure of the “magnificent intricacies” of the enveloping macrocosm.412. Something about the nature of Master DK’s mind is revealed by the words “magnificent intricacies”. As students at our stage of development, we have very little realization of magnificent intricacy. Perhaps we are only beginning to realize that it exists. Often we wonder why we must study material of such apparent complexity, only gradually to realize that what we are studying is not at all complex when compared with the real complexity and intricacy of God’s Great Design.413. This calls for much patience on our part and a suspension of judgment concerning what is practical and what is not. Our limited minds (when presented with daunting material) often protect themselves by the judgment that the material is really impractical or not useful in this day and age. This is a serious mistake and is based upon the determination to preserve our mental comfort-zone.
The reason the fourth is a major round is because in this round two things happened—the spark of mind was implanted and the door was opened from the animal kingdom into the human; and later, another door opened, on to the Path leading from the human kingdom into the spiritual—again a dual reason.
414. There are major and minor rounds in the life of the Planetary Logos. Reasons are here given why the fourth round of our particular scheme or chain (we are not told which) is so important. Even if we are considering a scheme round, it was within the fourth chain-round period of that scheme round that the developments above were accomplished.a. The spark of mind was implanted in animal man and the door was opened from the animal kingdom into the nascent human kingdom (which had not existed in our chain before that point).b. The door to initiation was opened allowing the passage of human beings into the "
", the spiritual kingdom. Kingdomof Souls415. We could look at these developments in terms of their value to present day humanity if we wish, but they have deep implications for the life of the Planetary Logos, Himself.
The fifth round is a major round because it marks a point in evolution where those who will achieve the goal, and those who will not, are sharply differentiated into two groups;
416. This differentiation occurs under the Law of Cleavages ruled by the fifth ray (the ray which primarily conditions the fifth round).417. We are speaking here of the classic division between the “sheep” and the “goats”.418. The fifth round is the round of the "Judgment Day" and, for this reason (among others) is “major”. Here, we seem to be speaking of a chain round. As far as is presently realized, the "Judgment Day" is to occur in the fifth chain-round of our chain—the fourth.
the seventh is a major round because it will mark the merging of the two evolutions, the human and the deva.
419. Merging of the deva and human evolution occurs on the monadic plane, as we have been studying, so we see that in this later round monadic ‘altitude’ will have been achieved.420. Again, we are not certain of whether we are speaking of a scheme round or chain round. It is possible for the deva and human evolutions to merge on our chain and yet not entirely throughout out scheme.
The major root races are chosen under the Law of Correspondence.
421. The word “chosen” is interesting. Does the word mean “indicated”? In other words, when we seek to understand which of the root races are major, is our choice to be indicated according to the Law of Correspondences?
In the third root race came the third Outpouring, the merging and the point of contact between the Spiritual Triad and the Lower Quaternary.
422. The first two Outpourings came much earlier. Some of the earlier Theosophical books have gone into these intricacies, but we have no complete confidence that the progression they have presented is truly accurate. It is much conditioned by the regularity of the concrete mind and does not take into consideration factors which the authors were in no position to detect. For instance, the Moon-chain evolution was disrupted, we are told, by the intervention of the Solar Logos, but early Theosophical authors had no cognizance of this and discussed the progress and closure of the Moon-chain as if it occurred with complete and predictable regularity, when it fact no such orderly completion ever occurred.423. The coming of the Solar Angels as providing the method of contact between the “Spiritual Triad and the Lower Quaternary” contributes to the importance of the third root race.424. Let us tabulate the twofold reason which makes the third root race a major root race:a. The Third Outpouringb. “The merging and point of contact between the Spiritual Triad and the Lower Quaternary”.
The fifth root race marks a point where higher and lower manas approximate, and where the concrete mind, meeting its highest development of this round, gives place to the intuition from above.
425. In the fifth root race the antahkarana is built and utilized. Humanity is able to reach the point of development at which the intercessory influence of the Solar Angels is no longer needed.426. Again, let us tabulate the twofold reason why the fifth root race is a major root race:a. Higher and lower manas approximateb. Concrete mind, having reached its highest development in this round, ‘gives place to the intuition from above”.427. Are we to think that manas will not develop further in later rounds under the impress of higher faculties? Probably, there will be further development, but the development of manas, in this round, reaches its apotheosis in the fifth root race of this fourth round.428. It would seem important (from the planetary perspective) to consider this development as occurring in a scheme round, as surely the development of manas in the fifth (highly manasic) chain will be of greater moment that such development in the fourth chain.429. Yet, as concerns development within our chain, manas, per se, will reach its highest point of development in the fifth chain round, which will certainly occur before the fourth scheme round is complete and the fifth scheme round has begun.430. There exists the possibility of overlapping rounds (both in the chain and scheme processes), and limited speculation has been offered in earlier commentaries regarding how this might occur. A model of strict linearity is not probable.
Here again we have a twofold reason. The seventh root race again demonstrates dual attainment, love in activity, the basis of the third system of Will or Power.
431. The achievement of the seventh root race is the full development of love on our chain and also of activity. The two are blended.432. But this type of blending must also occur on other chains in our scheme if full preparation of the “basis of the third system of Will or Power” is to be completed. Other globes in other chains also have root races.
The three major Rays, being dual, are their own sufficient explanation.
433. These rays must be dual in a particular way. Really, all the rays have seven sub-rays. So then, what is the nature of this duality as contrasted with the threefold and sevenfold divisions which pertain to all rays?434. When thinking of the three major rays and their duality we might suggest in all simplicity and with the need of extensive elaboration (such as can be found in Tapestry of the Gods, Vols. I and II):a. Ray One—constructive (forging) and destructiveb. Ray Two—love and wisdomc. Ray Three—mental activity and material activity
They are at present the mode of expression of the three aspects, and demonstrate under their appropriate Logoi,
435. The Three Logoi, therefore, have, in sum, a sixfold expression.
Who manipulate world affairs through the three departments, of which the rulers on our planet are the Lord Maitreya, the Manu, and the Mahachohan.
436. It is important to realize that the Three Departments are not unique on our planet. The Three Logoi (cosmic Beings Who express systemically) stand behind these three departments.437. We assume that when DK speaks of the three major rays, He means rays one, two and three, but the tabulation offered below modifies this assumption, substituting ray seven for ray three.438. We note that the Lord Maitreya is mentioned first, indicating the primacy of the second ray on our planet and in this solar system.
The three major planes demonstrate easily their unique position—on plane two we have the home of the Monads of Love, on plane five we find the habitat of their reflections, the reincarnating Egos, and [Page 600] on the physical plane we find the working out at its densest point of the life of the Spirit.
439. The three major planes here given are planes two, five and seven. The reasons are as follows:a. Plane two—the Monads (“of Love”) find their habitat there, yet all Monads (from one perspective) are, due to their second plane ‘location’, “Monads of Love”.b. Plane five—the egoic reflections of the Monads express on the higher mental planec. Plane seven—Spirit works out in densest matter, “The Highest and the Lowest Meet” and God’s plan is fully manifested on His lowest plane of expression.440. We find DK ‘weighting’ the various energies and their fields of expression. Though all things may be equal “in the Eyes of God”, they are not equal in time and space and from the perspective of those whose consciousness is conditioned by time and space.
This principle of mutation governs every department in the Law of Correspondences, and certain things can be stated as regards the system, and its component parts which will be found illuminating if we remember that they are facts for the present.
441. When we try to work with the Law of Correspondences we had best be cautioned to remember the Principle of Mutation. The correspondences which we deem accurate may only be so for a time and from a certain perspective. All is shifting and changing and changing “according to law”.442. We are going to view the principle of mutation on a solar systemic level.443. Perhaps it comes as a surprise to us that the Law of Correspondences has different “departments”. May we say that in Creation, and on various levels of vibration, there are different groupings which correspond to other groupings? As these groupings are related to each other, the Law of Correspondences holds good.444. For instance, the Seven Rays are one grouping, and the seven planes, another. The seven principles are yet another, the seven chakras another, and so forth.
Let me again illustrate: we have been told that the three major Rays at this time are the first, the second, and the seventh.
445. Probably, this information is scattered throughout the books. The seventh ray seems, temporarily, to take the place of the third ray as major, because the seventh ray is coming in so strongly during the Aquarian Age.446. Yet, we must remember how closely related are the seventh and third rays. This is particularly so in relation to the present Mahachohan and the initiates in His Ashram.
But later, the Rays now major may become subsidiary, and others take their place, though for this solar system the second Ray, being the synthetic Ray, will always be a major Ray.
447. The designation of major and minor will depend upon the portion of the Divine Plan which is in process of unfolding.448. Probably, within the realm of Purpose (which is ‘above’ time and space as usually considered) all rays are closer to equal, but in relation to the time-sensitive Divine Plan, some rays are more important at some times in order to express the ‘purpose of the hour’.449. To be practical, we must know what is important now. To be knowledgeable, we must know the workings of the Principle of Mutation, and what rays have been important and will be important at different periods of planetary history.
Perhaps we can here get a hint on this great principle, though we must be careful not to draw it out to too fine a conclusion.
450. Premature formulations (while temporarily satisfying to the impatient mind seeking closure) are very likely to be erroneous. Patience is required in these wide and intricate studies.451. When we study what is given below, we cannot presume that it refers only to our planet. That is may not, increases the difficulty of interpreting what is given.
For this system the major Rays will always be the dual Rays—the negative-positive Rays, the masculine-feminine Rays—this being the dual system.
452. We live in a dual solar system—a system of Love and Wisdom.453. We note that DK speaks of the “negative-positive Rays” and then (reversing the order) of the “masculine-feminine Rays”.454. Sometimes the order in which He presents words is a hint; sometimes, it is not.
The major Rays for system three will be those in triple manifestation.
455. There are places in the Teaching where the first three rays are said to be in triple manifestation. If we reference DINA II 518, we will see how the dual second ray becomes triple; this method is, I think, applicable to the three Rays of Aspect.456. Were the “major Rays” for major System I unitary in manifestation?457. Even when dealing with human psychology, we cannot ignore the duality of the major rays, or we will fail to identify different types of human beings who share the same ray.
The following table may be found of interest, if regarded as relative, and as holding information for the present time, but also as being subject to change and circulation:
458. While we cannot be sure, often, when DK discusses the “present time”, He means from the time of individualization until the "Judgment Day" in the middle of the fifth round of our chain and presumably on our fourth globe.
7 Rays Major
1-2-7: Four subsidiary converging on the fifth.
459. By this, does He mean the fifth ray? Or does He mean that the seventh ray is the fifth ‘Ray of Brahma’, as has been earlier shown? Or can He also mean that rays four, five, six and seven converge upon ray three, which is, archetypally, the preeminent Brahmic ray (and the fifth when numbering from below)?460. During the coming Age of Aquarius, the seventh ray will, as it were, represent the third, carrying out the Plan (foreseen by the third ray) in a manner concrete and physically accurate.
7 Principles 3 Major Monad, Ego and Personality, synthesising at various stages the four subsidiary.
461. Here we are speaking of the three “Periodical Vehicles”. In the various ways of enumerating principles (discussed from TCF 260-269), sometimes the vehicles listed here are considered principles and sometimes not.462. We find that atma, buddhi and manas (almost invariably listed as principles elsewhere) are not listed. Perhaps the term “Ego” (if we consider Ego as triadal) includes atma-buddhi-manas.463. The “four subsidiary” would seem to be those which are included in the personality: lower manas, kama-manas, prana and etheric body (though there are several ways to number the principles included in the personality).
7 Chains Major
464. Reasons for considering these as major are not given. We note that these are the ‘Masonic’ numbers and pertain much to the work of Vulcan.465. From a structural point of view, they represent beginning, middle and end.466. We know that through our fourth chain, our Planetary Logos is presently taking a significant initiation—the fourth. But is this not true of all chains? If the Planetary Logos is taking a series of seven initiations (cf. TCF 384), does He not take one through or upon each chain?467. We can imagine the seventh chain (by the present enumeration, and in relation to our Planetary Logos—the Jupiter-chain) as being climactic for the development of our Planetary Logos in this Mahamanvantara.468. Our Planetary Logos is not really developing His monadic expression in this solar system, but rather His soul expression. Interestingly, Jupiter has the same soul ray as our Planetary Logos—namely, the second.
7 Planes Major
469. The reasons are given above and related to the habitat of the Monad, the habitat of the Ego, and the field of expression for both, as Spirit/soul works its way to the densest plane, thus ensuring that the “Highest and the Lowest Meet”.
7 Manvantaras Major
470. Usually manvantaras are considered as rounds, so there is a hint here. The rounds discussed immediately below can well be chain rounds, for (at least in the case of rounds four and five) they concern developments occurring or to occur in our fourth and fifth chain rounds.471. Then is it possible that the “manvantaras” here referenced are, in fact, ‘scheme rounds’? If so, then we are in the midst of a major manvantara or scheme round. It is pretty well established that Venus is in its fifth scheme round and (by inference) that the Earth-scheme in its fourth scheme round.472. The term “manvantara” is so variable that we must be very careful in assigning meaning to it. Sometimes it definitely means a chain round, but we see that DK has here discriminated it from a chain round—apparently.473. Also, there are solar manvantaras and planetary manvantaras. Sometimes the duration of an entire planetary scheme is called a manvantara. Sometimes the span of a lesser part a planetary scheme is a manvantara. Sometimes a “year of Brahma” is a manvantara.474. We must pause before drawing conclusions. Too little is yet known.
7 Rounds Major
475. These are as listed above and the reasons are there given.
7 Root races Major
476. These are also given above. There are two reasons applying to each root race for designating it as a major root race. When speaking of root races we cannot forget that they exist on more than one globe and perhaps simultaneously. In this context, however, DK seems to be speaking of our particular globe, the Earth-globe.477. It is, however, interesting to note that the three major globes in the Earth-chain (gathering that the larger globes depicted in Chart VII are the major ones) are globes three, five and seven. In this case the Chart confirms what is here given.
7 Sub races Major
478. We need to know whether we are speaking of sub-races of the third, fourth or fifth root race. Probably, it will be a good bet to think in terms of the fifth root race (of which we know a little something).a. The first subrace is the Aryan. The principles guiding the fifth root race were laid down in this first subrace. The link between Spirit and mind was strongly cultivated.b. The fifth subrace is the Teutonic. In this subrace the development of manas, per se, reaches it apotheosis.c. The sixth subrace has no immediate name, but will be developing the abstract mind, we are told.
7 Initiations Major 1 4 5 if viewed from the angle of human attainment, and
1-5-7if viewed from a higher.
479. From the human perspective:a. The first initiation admits into the "
". It signifies as major step—a change of Kingdom Kingdomof Soulsb. The fourth initiation detaches from all further need for incarnation in the three worlds.c. The fifth initiation sees the consummation of human development and prepares for entry into the . Kingdomof Planetary Lives480. Which perspective is the “higher” one of which DK speaks? Is it a planetary perspective?481. We note that initiations one and five are still included in this higher perspective. They represent the entry into the " " and the consummation of participation in this Kingdom—Mastership. Kingdomof Souls482. From another perspective, the fifth initiation represents the beginning of participation as a first degree initiate in the Lodge of Sirius. From the perspective of the Planetary Logos, the fifth initiation of a human being is a planetary event.483. The seventh initiation is a kind of transfiguration with respect to the Sirian Lodge. It may also admit a developing Chohan into contact with the Logos of the Seven Solar Systems of Which Ours is One. Certainly, it increases his degree of spiritual intimacy with our own Solar Logos.484. We could say that with the seventh initiation, the Planetary Logos has one more point of expression for conducting solar purpose into Shamballa and the planet. The seventh initiation is a solar Love-Wisdom initiation.485. Still, we do not know what the term “higher” means? Is it from the perspective of the globe, or chain, or scheme, or it is a solar perspective.