Fellowship of Cosmic FireCommentary Semester V Section VIITCF 515-526: S5S7
1 - 15 July 2007
(Most of the Tibetan’s text is put in font 16, to provide better legibility when projected during classes. Footnotes and references from other AAB Books and from other pages of TCF are put in font 14. Commentary appears in font 12. Underlining, Bolding and Highlighting by MDR)It is suggested that this Commentary be read with the TCF book handy, for the sake of continuity. As analysis of the text is pursued, many paragraphs are divided, and the compact presentation in the book, itself, will convey the overall meaning of the paragraph.
3. The Spirillae and the Egoic Ray.
1. We are going to deal with a fascinating occult subject.2. We should be able to extend the subject to speculations concerning the Egoic Ray of the Solar Logos and the planes of the solar system.
We will take up now the subject of the spirillae within the permanent atom, and see in what manner they are affected by the egoic ray, remembering always that we are considering them as:
3. Presumably they will also be affected by the personality ray, and perhaps by the rays of the other vehicles.4. We remember to regard each permanent atom as a kind of seventh principle capable of affecting the vehicles of which it is the nucleus.5. The ray of any vehicle works principally through the permanent atom which generates that vehicle, and that ray will have an effect upon the spirillae of the permanent atom and, also, the spirillae of all atoms gathered in the vehicle for which any permanent atom forms the nucleus.6. The following are ways we might consider permanent atoms.
First. The interior economy of the life germ on the three planes which concern man in the three worlds; second, as the seventh principle in each of the three sheaths; and third, as the positive nucleus of force which holds together the matter of the three sheaths.
7. The third way to consider permanent atoms is perhaps easiest to understand. The permanent atoms have a cohesive force which holds together the vehicles they have magnetically gathered. This seems to be a second ray capacity.8. The permanent atoms are as the “seventh principle” in each of the sheaths. That principle can be associated with atma (from one perspective), and is thus a directing and directive principle. (This function of the permanent atoms suggests the quality of the first ray).9. They are also “the interior economy of the life germ on the three planes”. The word “economy” immediately suggests the third ray. The life germ is ‘Spirit-in-attenuation’ (at least, reduced in its capacity to impact environment, but Spirit nonetheless). The idea presented is one which designates the permanent atom as a kind of “administrative center” to carry out the purposes of the “life germ”. It does this with intelligence—albeit, unconscious intelligence.Let us therefore study two things:The composition of the permanent atom.The difference between the mental unit and the astral and physical permanent atoms.
10. We are entering the realm of the fifth ray and must be prepared for minute considerations.
To do this with clarity, and so bring some kind of definite concept into being from the dark regions of abstraction, let us tabulate:
11. There is something about the process of tabulation which presents the mind with a linearity it finds reassuring and clarifying.
a. The composition of the permanent atom: The permanent atom of the astral and physical planes is a sphere of physical or astral substance, composed of atomic matter, and characterised by the following qualities:
12. The first thing of importance is to notice the sphericity of the permanent atom. This statement is probably a generality or an approximation. Sometimes, different shapes are assigned to different types of permanent atoms—for instance, a heart shape to the astral permanent atom and a figure-eight shape to the buddhic permanent atom.13. We note that the Tibetan is not discussing the mental unit. We may question at this point whether it, too, has a spherical shape.
Responsiveness. This is its inherent power to respond to the vibration of some one of the Heavenly Men, as it is transmitted via the deva, or Brahma aspect, of His threefold nature.
14. It would seem that permanent atoms are selective in their response and respond to “some one of the Heavenly Men” more than others.15. We infer that the permanent atom has aspects in its nature that correspond to the Vishnu and Shiva aspects, but that it is through the Brahma aspect that its primary response to the Heavenly Men occurs.16. If the ray which a permanent atom transmits changes from life to life, shall we gather that the type of Heavenly Man to which it may respond in any one incarnational cycle may change?17. We note the important point that the influences of the Heavenly Men do not reach the permanent atoms directly but that such influence is mediated via the deva or Brahma aspect.18. This is certainly so as regards the manner in which Heavenly Men affect human beings, as well. Only a Master may have direct contact with another Planetary Logos. For the rest of us that influence reaches us via a stream of devic energy attuned to the Heavenly Man and yet capable of impacting a human being directly.
The permanent atom finds its place within the sphere of influence of one or other of the great devas who are the Raja-Lords of a plane.
19. Each permanent atom is found on the atomic sub-plane of a particular systemic plane. Each systemic plane is the body of expression of one of the Raja Deva Lords.20. The physical permanent atom, therefore, will be influenced by Raja Deva Lord Kshiti; the astral permanent atom by Varuna; and the mental unit and manasic permanent atom by Agni, etc.21. Below, we appear to speaking of matters microcosmic.
Power. These devas Form Building
22. We appear to be speaking of Raja Deva Lords when speaking of “these devas”.
sound forth two syllables of the threefold microcosmic word and are each (on their own plane) the coherent agency which gathers [Page 516] substance into form, and attracts matter for purposes of objectivity.
23. Why two syllables? Is it because, thus far, we are dealing with only two permanent atoms, and not yet with the mental unit? The “threefold microcosmic word” would be a work referring to the three dimensions of the personality—etheric-physical, astral and lower mental.24. We recall that the members of the deva kingdom are qualified by the third and second aspects, whereas man is qualified by the first and second.25. In their role as “the coherent agency which gathers substance into form”, it is the second aspect of divinity which is being exercised, according to the second systemic law—the Law of Cohesion.
The astral sound produces the microcosmic 'Son of Necessity,' and when it reverberates on the physical plane produces physical incarnation, and the sudden appearance on etheric levels of the seven centres.
26. We note that the centers appeared on the etheric levels suddenly. We may presume, I think, that on the astral plane, the centers pre-existed their etheric appearance.27. The solar system is said to be a “Son of Necessity”. The solar system is the physical-etheric vehicle of the Solar Logos. By analogy, the physical-etheric nature of a human being would be a microcosmic ‘Son of Necessity’.28. We have often to question whether appearances occur suddenly (all at once) or sequentially, gradually in time. This type of question refers to revelation as well—is it sudden or more gradual?29. There is often no easy way to solve the problem. One may speculate, but unless one observes or is told authoritatively, there is no way to be certain.30. As all chakras are ‘mutually necessary’ (i.e., necessary to each other), there is a good argument for sudden appearance.31. Perhaps the greatest problem related to simultaneous or gradual appearance concerns the Three Persons of the Universal Trinity (of Father, Mother and Son).32. Perhaps there are certain methods which, while not simultaneous, are so close to each other in time as to be virtually simultaneous.33. We are assured by most cosmogonies that the state of Spirit-Matter preceded the appearance of the Trinity.
The building of the dense physical is the result of consequent automatic action in deva essence, for it must ever be borne in mind that man is essentially (as regards the physical plane) an etheric being,
34. This is the constant occult assertion—that true physicality is etheric.35. The dense physical body, therefore, is an automaton, and its substance is gathered automatically. The lowest type of matter responds automatically to the attractive nature of etheric deva essence.
and his dense physical body is esoterically regarded as 'below the threshold' and is not considered a principle.
36. The “threshold”, in this case, is (or should be) the threshold of consciousness for the developing human being. Physical consciousness, per se, is the most primitive kind of consciousness. Such consciousness is the involvement of consciousness with a level of vibration which is unprincipled and which pertains to an earlier system of development.37. This fact tells us something about the relative degree of advancement of humanity today!
Relative Permanency. In the seventh principle of all manifesting entities is stored up and developed capacity, acquired ability, and the atomic memory, or in other words the heredity of the Thinker, viewing him from the physical standpoint or from the emotional.
38. Note that we are still not concerning ourselves with the mental unit.39. Let us tabulate what is stored within the “seventh principle” of all manifesting entities:a. Developed capacityb. Acquired abilityc. Atomic memoryd. The heredity of the Thinker40. The number seven is associated with the act of guarding. Dragons (which can be associated with the seventh ray and the kundalini power at the base of the spine center) are often “guardians” of treasure.41. Since the atmic permanent atom truly represents the seventh principle of man the microcosm, does it have the above faculties particularly pronounced as regards life on the lowest five planes of the cosmic physical plane?42. Atma is a plane both of intelligence and of will. It is associated as much with the third ray as with the first. Of the five permanent atoms and mental unit, is the atmic permanent atom the greatest storehouse of incarnational memory?43. Discrimination is in order. We must remember that the seventh principle is “atma” and not the Atman—which is a kind of eighth principle (not a principle really, but essence or pure being).44. The planet Saturn, ruler of the physical permanent atom (whether systemic or cosmic) and also of the atmic plane, is directly related to both karma and heredity. In the functioning of the permanent atoms, in general, there is much that relates to Saturn, to karma and to the factor of control.45. Permanent atoms are storehouses of those achieved patterns of adaptive activity we call capacities and faculties.
There is no permanence whatever in the sheaths;
46. Held together only by the power of the permanent atoms, the substance-matter of the sheaths is easily dissipated.
they are built into temporary forms, and dissolved when the Thinker has exhausted their possibilities,
47. The dissipation of the sheaths correlates with the processes of death.48. Exhaustion comes to the sheaths but the permanent atoms seem to abide, possessing a kind of internal ‘fountain of youth’. It is probably their direct relation to the Monad (the representative of the life aspect) which gives them their permanence.
but the seventh principle of each sheath gathers to itself the achieved qualities and stores them up—under the Law of Karma—to work out again and to demonstrate as the plane impulse at each fresh cycle of manifestation.
49. So the permanent atoms as the seventh principle of each sheath are impulsive factors at the onset of each incarnation, and synthesizing factors at its close. Impulsion and synthesis relate these functions of the permanent atoms to the first aspect of divinity.50. We see how closely related is Karma to memory—the Memory of Nature. The Third Ray Lord is the “Lord of Memory” and Saturn (the foremost of the planets of Karma in our solar system) is the planet most identified with the third ray.51. It is “plane impulse” which builds vehicles through which the soul can manifest. The impulse of the permanent atoms works out in the substance of that plane related to any particular permanent atom.
This permanency is itself likewise only a relative one, and as the inner fire within the atom burns more brightly, as the external fires of the ego or solar fire beat upon it with ever increasing intensity, the atom in due time is consumed, and the inner blaze becomes so great that it destroys its encompassing wall.
52. We are discussing the life and death of permanent atoms, especially, at first, the permanent atoms related to the personality.53. How are the permanent atoms stimulated?a. By their own inner fireb. By “the external fires of the ego or solar fire”.54. In cosmos all permanency is relative. Only THAT is permanent (and no one can understand THAT).55. During our study of alchemy we saw solar fire or “mental fire” referred to as “external fire(s)” and here we do as well.56. What are the “external fires of the ego”? Are we to consider them the various rays of the Ego (emanating, perhaps, from various petals and tiers of petals) or, more particularly, the rays emanating from the "Jewel in the Lotus"?57. We do see with certainty that there is a definite relation between solar fire and fire by friction—solar fire emanating from the Ego and fire by friction represented by the permanent atoms.58. The atom, we see, is considered somewhat independently from its “encompassing wall”, which usually would be considered a part of it.59. By the “inner fire of the atom” we mean, primarily, the fire of its nucleus, linked to electric fire.60. Perhaps we can conceive why solar fire can be considered an ‘external fire’; it is not part of the atom’s inmost fire—Spirit-fire.
Heat. Herein lies the distinction between the permanent atoms on all planes, and the atomic matter of which they form a part.
61. There are trillions of atoms which form the atomic matter over which the permanent atom has control. How shall we keep them distinct?62. We judge here that “heat” has something significant to do with the distinction.63. Can it be that the permanent atom (though its direct link to the Monad—and thus electric fire, and through a direct link, as well, with the Ego, and thus solar fire) has a greater measure of heat than the atoms of the sheath for which it is the seventh principle?64. It is as if, through the rate of vibration of the permanent atom, the other atoms of any particular sheath (atoms less responsive, one would suppose, than the permanent atom) may be keyed-up to the vibratory measure of the permanent atom.
It is not easy to make this distinction clear, nor is it desirable at this time;
65. If we had wondered what makes a permanent atom a permanent atom, and had thought the matter obscure, here we see that light upon it is being deliberately withheld.
the true facts of the case are one of the guarded secrets of initiation, but the distinction between the permanent atom, and atomic matter, may be somewhat comprehended if we state: [Page 517]
66. DK as usual will give us a few hints concerning this guarded and deliberately veiled subject.67. ThatThe permanent atom is one that has been appropriated by one of the lives that form the centres in the body of a solar Lord, whilst atomic matter per se goes to the formation of other parts of His great body of light.
68. From many theosophical books we have gathered that a permanent atom is one that has been selected, magnetized and life-infused by a Monad. A Monad is one of the “lives that form the centres in the body of a solar Lord”—in this case, a Planetary Logos.69. A Planetary Logos can, indeed, be considered a ‘Solar Lord’, and a Solar Logos is definitely so. Even a Chain-Lord and a Globe Lord are called ‘solar Being(s).70. The following quotation makes this clear:This is equally true whether we are considering the incarnation of a man, of a group, of an idea, or of all entities of lesser grade to the solar Being Who manifests through a globe, or the regent of the globe under the planetary Logos. (TCF 445)71. A human Monad is that which finds its home with the Sun and is a constituent of one of the centers of a Planetary Logos. So we may say, according to the section above, that a permanent atom is an atom of substance which has been appropriated by a Monad.72. When thinking about any sheath, there is a hierarchy of constituents. Foremost within the sheath is the permanent atom, itself. Of great but secondary importance are the many chakras within the sheath (major, minor and minute), and finally we have the substance of the sheath itself.73. So, in general, atomic matter is not part of the chakra system of a Planetary Logos. By “atomic matter” (in this context) we do not mean the matter specifically of the atomic sub-plane of any systemic plane, but, rather, the many atoms of matter (of all sub-planes) which go to the composition of any sheath. Within certain of the planetary logoic chakras are the Monads which, in order to manifest through the five dimensions lower than their own, appropriate permanent atoms.
A permanent atom is one which has come under the attractive power of the second aspect, whilst atomic matter itself is vitalised by the life of the third aspect.
74. This statement is important for its implications. We recognize that a permanent atom comes under the influence of what has been called the “divine centre of consciousness” (the Monad).75. Usually, the Monad is considered an expression of the first aspect of divinity, but it cannot be ignored that the Monad is found upon the second systemic plane of the cosmic physical plane (a plane ruled by the second ray planet Jupiter—which may have some first ray deeply recessed its nature). That second plane is also ruled by Virgo, which is the constellation/sign through which pours at this time the greatest measure of second ray energy.76. It was during the second outpouring, we are told, that the permanent atoms were appropriated by the “divine centre of consciousness” (i.e., the Monad)(cf. EP I 168-169).77. Further, the Monad is that which finds its home within the Sun, which, in our solar system, is a great second ray source (egoically and personally).78. It is through the power of attraction that the Monad attracted and held the permanent atoms.79. In our solar system the ray which must be particularly cultivated is the second. This is the goal of our Solar Logos with His second ray personality and second ray soul.80. The other atomic matter is not so distinguished and still comes under the influence primarily of the great third ray, the Primordial Ray, which governed the past solar system.81. When we think of monadic essence and elemental essence, we may have a parallel which reminds us of the distinction between permanent atoms and normal atoms of substance.
A permanent atom follows the line of the least resistance of force, and is passing out of the control of the Deva Lord and coming under the control of positive life.
82. A permanent atom is releasing itself from the sway of the deva kingdom.83. The permanent atoms respond, each one, primarily to one of the seven principles which, ultimately, emanate from the Monad. Thus the permanent atom is coming under the control of the Monad or “positive life”.84. Presumably, normal atoms of substance are still very much under the sway of “the Deva Lord”—i.e., the Raja Deva Lord.
This concerns the evolution of consciousness in substance.
85. Via the permanent atoms, consciousness is gaining its victory over matter/form.86. We know there is a constant transmutation process by means of which subservience to the third aspect is ended and consciousness is being released into higher dimensions and is discovering its own nature through ‘subjectification’. The permanent atoms are involved in this process.
A permanent atom comes under the direct control of the lower of the three groups of Lipika Lords, and is the agency through which They work in the imposition of karma upon the particular entity who may be utilising it. They work directly with the permanent atoms of men, and produce results through the agency of form until they have exhausted the vibratory capacity of any particular atom; when this is the case the atom passes into the stage of obscuration, as does the seventh principle of any sheath. It comes under the influence of the first aspect, manifesting as the Destroyer.
87. There is a lower group of Lipika Lords. May this lower group be, in itself, threefold—one group associated with each of the three permanent atoms (or two permanent atoms and the mental unit)?88. In relation to this matter of the kinds of Lipika Lords who operate upon the permanent atoms, we may think of the Solar Angels (who supervise the various aspects of the causal body, in which the lower permanent atoms are contained) to be as lesser Lipika Lords.89. In a larger sense, however, the three groups of greater Lipikas Lords are probably divided in Their focus—one of the groups focussing on each of the three aspects of divinity.90. When the vibratory capacity of any particular permanent atoms is exhausted, it would seem that we have reached the moment of balance—the Libran moment. Metaphorically, Libran peace supervenes.91. Once all forces within it are balanced, any center of force is ready for the obscuration process. Balance (and beauty) is a prelude to death.92. If the lower group of Lipikas works with the members of the atomic triangle, are there any karmic agencies which work with the normal atoms of substance? Would such work with atomic substance be the province of the Four Maharajas and Their agents? Are the Four Maharajas (and their agents) to numbered among the Lipikas? Usually, they are presented as quite another group.93. We note that Lipika Lords impose karma; this relates Them to the first ray, at least in Their modus operandi.94. We are gathering, then, that sheath karma unfolds largely through the permanent atoms (through which certain Lipika Lords and Their agents and the Ego work).95. May we say that it is the seventh principle of any sheath that is the last to be withdrawn from manifestation (whatever manifestation may actually mean to any particular entity). Once the permanent atom is destroyed or abstracted there will be no more expression on the particular plane on which it was focussed. After the departure of the permanent atom from the atomic sub-plane where it was positioned, no further manifestation on that plane through a permanent atom is possible or necessary.96. Planetary Logoi, too, reach a point of balance after which obscuration begins.97. Are there Planetary Logoi which are actually the permanent atoms of the Solar Logos, or are They simply correspondences to such permanent atoms? As stated elsewhere, the Planetary Logoi seem (as They manifest through planetary schemes) to be rather too large structures to serve in the role of permanent atoms.98. In conclusion, we note that permanent atoms, so long involved in the building and sustaining of sheaths, become, towards the conclusion of their cycle, destroyers—as they come under the influence of the first aspect.99. Regarding the normal atoms of substance, are they simply receptors of karmic impulses rather than being distributors of such impulses? Perhaps.
Remember that in these affirmations we are concerning ourselves with the microcosm, and with the permanent atoms which are related to him;
100. Yes, this is true, but it is also possible to extrapolate analogically to larger systems and DK will often unexpectedly enlarge or reduce the context.
as regards the solar Logos manifesting in the system, we are concerned with but one permanent atom, and this is His physical permanent atom.
101. This is the permanent atom through which the Solar Logos manages His solar system. We have been told that Saturn is the correspondence to this permanent atom.
Uranus and Neptune are reflections of the logoic astral and mental permanent atoms. Saturn is in fact the correspondence to the logoic physical permanent atom. This is an occult mystery and must not be separated from its allied truth in the cosmic scheme. (TCF 406)
102. As stated, Saturn may be the correspondence to the “logoic physical permanent atom”, but it has not been said that Saturn is the “logoic physical permanent atom”.103. Beyond the logoic physical permanent atom we cannot go, since this would involve the ability to relate meaningfully to the cosmic astral plane, and not even the Tibetan (when He wrote of these matters) could do that.
It is thus true that within the permanent physical atom of the solar Logos lies hid the ability to respond consciously to the vibration of all the planes, lies hid the secret of the karmic purpose of His incarnation, [Page 518] and lies concealed the mystery of His functional activity;
104. Let us tabulate that which lies hidden within the physical permanent atom of the Solar Logos:a. The ability to respond consciously to the vibration of all planes. “All planes”, in this context, means all systemic planesb. The karmic purpose of the Solar Logos’ incarnation. We remember that karma is closely related to the physical plane (at least that is the plane upon which karma works out). The physical permanent atom is, therefore, naturally associated with karma. Let us remember that the correspondence to the physical permanent atom of the cosmic physical plane is Saturn—of all Planetary Logoi, the greatest of the Lords of Karma.c. The mystery of the functional activity of the Solar Logos. We must presume that “functional activity” is related to the physical plane considered as the plane of activity.Saturn is one of the most potent of the four Lords of Karma and forces man to face up to the past, and in the present to prepare for the future. Such is the intention and purpose of karmic opportunity. (EA 164)95. If one can say these things of the Solar Logos and His physical permanent atom, can one say them of the human being and his permanent atom? Certain analogies can be preserved.96. Does, Saturn, then hold hid these three secrets? We are long way from understanding enough planetary lore to understand the true nature of the other Planetary Logos (yet alone our own). I think however that the “karmic purpose” of this particular incarnation of the Solar Logos can be reasonably understood as related to Saturn and that Saturn may be a kind of ‘Chief Administrator’ of that purpose.
but we cannot penetrate the secret as yet of His three lower permanent atoms as they function as a unity within His causal vehicle.
105. This causal vehicle will be on the higher mental plane cosmically considered. That, obviously, is a long way ‘up’.106. When we seek to penetrate, for what shall we be looking? Shall we look for the meaning of planetary lore—i.e., look for planets (like Saturn) which are the correspondences to the Logos’ atomic triangle? Or shall we look for other structures in relation to which the planetary schemes are the correspondences?107. Sometimes planets are considered as correspondences to permanent atoms and sometimes they are considered as chakras. Can they be both? For instance, can Saturn be a correspondence to the physical permanent atom of the Solar Logos and yet also correlated with, for instance, the throat center of that Logos?108. Suffice it to say that such penetrations are beyond our ken. We can barely penetrate to the levels of the spiritual triad in our own microcosmic system.
Until we can do this it is useless for us to conjecture as to His fundamental Being.
97. DK is advising us that the “fundamental Being” (i.e., the monadic nature of the Solar Logos) is totally beyond our ken. This must necessarily be so as even our own “fundamental Being” is inaccessible to any but initiates of the third degree (and, even to them, only minimally—at first).
The difference between them: The mental unit is in a unique and peculiar position as regards man, the Thinker in the causal body.
109. This we might judge to be the case as the apparently truncated structure of the mental unit is so very different from that of the other permanent atoms.
This point will be discussed shortly, suffice it to say here that its mystery lies hid in the nature of the Heavenly Men Themselves.
110. We have been speaking of the microcosmic permanent atoms, though occasionally, we have included speculations anent far greater permanent atoms, such as those of a Planetary Logos.111. In relation to the microcosm, we have been told the following of the mental unit:There appears a triangle on the mental plane, produced by manasic activity, and this triangle of fire begins slowly to circulate between the manasic permanent atom, and a point at the centre of the egoic lotus, and thence to the mental unit, which has appeared upon the fourth subplane through innate instinct approximating mentality. (TCF 709)
112. Though the foregoing gives us some idea about how the mental unit appeared, it does not dispel the statement that the mystery of the mental unit lies hid in the nature of the Heavenly Men Themselves.113. Do microcosmic mental units appear because of the concrete mind activity of the Planetary Logoi? What is occurring within the Planetary Logos which stimulates the movement in man from instinct to intellect?114. We are not even sure whether all Heavenly Men have mental units as does man. The mental unit may have appeared because of arrested development in the evolutionary process of the Logos of the Earth-scheme. If so, how frequent are cases of arrested development amongst the Planetary Logoi?115. On the other hand, on the planetary level, mental units may always appear at that certain stage of planetary logoic development which calls for the emergence of man. This matter remains obscure. On all planes other than the mental there are not two units; only on the mental plane are a manasic permanent atom and a mental unit to be found.
The following correspondence holds the key to this mystery, but it can only be indicated, leaving it to the student to work out the truth for himself. On the three planes of logoic manifestation—the highest three—we have the three aspects manifesting;
116. We are speaking of manifestation as it applies to the Solar Logos and we are speaking in terms of the solar or systemic planes117. The first aspect manifests naturally through the logoic plane, the second through the monadic plane and the third through the atmic plane.
on the buddhic plane, the fourth cosmic ether, we have the logoic etheric centres demonstrating,
118. We do not necessarily have all the logoic etheric centers demonstrating on the buddhic plane. If the analogy to the microcosm holds good, some logoic etheric centers demonstrate on the higher three planes as well.
or those force vortices which animate the three lower planes of the dense physical manifestation.
119. A close study of Chart VIII, TCF 817, is required to examine the analogy between the microcosm and macrocosm in relation to this question.120. Such a study (in relation to man) will reveal that the throat chakra is to be found on the third ether, the heart chakra on the second and the head chakra on the first.
In connection with the Heavenly Men we have a secondary manifestation, and on the buddhic plane we have Their third aspect found, leaving for Their paramount manifestation of force, the cosmic gaseous plane, or the manasic plane; They are essentially the divine Thinkers, the Manasaputras.
98. The Planetary Logoi are not as advanced as Solar Logoi. Their scheme of manifestation begins one systemic plane lower than that of the Solar Logoi.99. For the Solar Logos, His third aspect is found on the atmic plane. For a Planetary Logos, His third aspect is found on the buddhic plane.100. Reference to TCF 331 and following should make this clear. Note that the plane of vibration for a Solar Logos is the logoic plane; the plane of vibration for a Planetary Logos is the monadic plane.101. The phrase “paramount manifestation of force” is used. In connection with a Planetary Logos, the “paramount manifestation of force” is found in the higher mental plane; for a Solar Logos it is found on the buddhic plane.102. Thus, for a Solar Logos, the buddhic plane is a plane of manifestation corresponding to the fourth ether. For a Planetary Logos, the buddhic plane corresponds, we may think, to the third ether and the higher mental plane to the fourth.
In connection, therefore, with the Microcosm, viewing him as part of a centre in the body of a Heavenly Man,
103. i.e., from the monadic perspective.
we have a lesser descent within the gaseous or fire manifestation of a solar Lord.
104. We are looking in the microcosm for a parallel to the two ‘descents’ just described—one of the Solar Logos and the other for the Planetary Logos.105. The mental plane is the “gaseous or fire manifestation of a solar Lord”. The “solar Lord” in this case is the Solar Logos.
This concerns the three higher subplanes of what might be considered as the manifestation of Man's three higher aspects in mental matter, whilst on the fourth subplane we have the mental centres of man within the periphery of his mental body, of which the mental unit is the unifying factor.
106. When considering man, the microcosm and his centers, the analogy is closest to the positioning of the centers (and their descent) for the Solar Logos.107. The mental unit is, apparently, of greater power than any of the centers on the lower mental plane. The mental unit unifies the four mental plane chakras (solar plexus center, splenic center, sacral center and base of the spine center) which are found on the fourth level of the mental plane—the fourth sub-plane.108. Thus far we are looking at three systems of centers and their distribution on various planes and sub-planes of the cosmic physical plane.109. If we wish to compare the “paramount manifestations of force” for the Solar Logos, the Planetary Logos and Man, we shall find them on the buddhic plane, the higher mental plane and the lower mental plane respectively.
This is—as has been earlier said—a deep mystery, and one that can be no further amplified.
110. So then, has DK completed His giving of hints in relation to this abstruse subject? If so, are we any the wiser?111. If the mental unit is a synthesizing center for four mental plane chakras, is there a parallel synthesizing center to be found on the higher mental plane for the lower chakras of a Planetary Logos, or on the buddhic plane for the lower chakras of a Solar Logos? We should probably hunt for such a center of force.112. Could such unifying factors be the manasic permanent atom for the Planetary Logos and the buddhic permanent atom for the Solar Logos? The mental unit and the four mental chakras are on the same sub-plane of the lower mental plane, but this would not be the case in the other two instances: the manasic permanent atom is not on the same sub-plane as the causal bodies of men (usually the third sub-plane or the second whereas the manasic permanent atom is on the first sub-plane). The buddhic permanent atom is not on the same sub-plane as the majority of Ashrams, for the buddhic permanent atom is on the first sub-plane of the buddhic plane.113. For a Planetary Logos, the centers on the higher mental plane can be considered groups of causal bodies. For a Solar Logos, the centers on the buddhic plane can be considered ashrams or groupings of ashrams.114. If we consider the Ashrams on the buddhic plane to be analogous to the chakras of man on the fourth systemic ether, perhaps we have a hint concerning the positioning of the various Ashrams on the buddhic plane. In other words, the Ashrams, now for the most part on the buddhic plane, would not be positioned any lower than the fourth buddhic sub-plane.115. If Hierarchy is the heart center of the Planetary Logos, and the heart chakra of the Planetary Logos is found on the atmic (not buddhic) plane, is Hierarchy as a whole found on the atmic plane (the plane whereon Masters are made)?116. If we were considering what Hierarchy is in relation to the Solar Logos, we might have to think of it in terms of the monadic plane, for Hierarchy is a kind of ‘heart center’ and, in the etheric structure of the Solar Logos, the etheric heart center would have to be on the second plane.117. These thoughts are inferred from studying the chart on TCF, 817. Can one see why?118. When considering that structure called a “mental unit”, we simply must determined whether all type of “men” (on all planets) have them, or only those groups of “men” whose development has been in some way retarded. For instance, humanity’s development has been retarded. The development of our Planetary Logos has also been retarded. Has the development of our Solar Logos been retarded?119. DK’s description of the origin of the mental unit, in fact, does make it seem inherent in the mental developmental process. Do we think that a mental unit is necessary in order to develop a causal body by the means used in the first solar system and on the Moon-chain? Or (in relation to these earlier methods of causal body development) could the causal body have arisen without the presence of a mental unit?120. What we are asking concerns the split on the mental plane between lower mind and higher mind. Was this split the result of planetary and even solar failure, or is it inherent in all processes of mental development even in those instances when there was no failure?121. We have been considering the “composition of the permanent atoms”. Let us tabulate the headings which were found in this section.a. Responsivenessb.
Power Form Buildingc. Relative Permanencyd. Heate. The Difference Between Them122. We will now deal with “The Planes and Fiery Energy”
b. The Planes and Fiery Energy. It seems desirable [Page 519] that we should here discuss the analogies on each plane,69 with the seven sub-planes, reminding the student that we are speaking of the planes as the field of evolution of a solar Logos, and not only as a field for the development of man.
123. There is the implication that the Solar Logos develops on systemic planes—especially the higher systemic planes, just as man develops on the lower systemic planes.124. DK is trying to disabuse us from our anthropocentric point of view.125. The conclusion to be drawn is that we share the higher systemic planes with Beings far greater than we.
1. The seven systemic planes are:1. Divine plane Logos 1st cosmic ether.
126. This is a good alternative name for the first plane. It is usually called the logoic plane or the plane of adi. Yet, we have been told that the term “divine” refers to Spirit, and there is no sub-plane among the sub-planes of the cosmic physical plane on which the Spirit is more free.
2. Monadic plane Monad 2nd cosmic ether.
127. If we consider the numbering, we can understand the relation of the Monad to the heart.3. Spiritual plane 3rd cosmic ether.
128. The term “spiritual” has such variable use. When thinking of the atmic plane as the “spiritual triad”, we must think about what makes the spiritual triad “spiritual”.
4. Intuitional plane 4th cosmic ether.
129. Whereas cogitation is needed for work upon the mental plane, a requisite point of tension and heightened receptivity are needed to access that which the intuition may bestow.
5. Mental plane Ego gaseous plane.
130. The juxtaposition of the terms “Ego” and “gaseous plane” is thought provoking. Gas is so dispersive. What holds the Ego together?131. We are given to understand that the mental unit and the "Jewel in the Lotus" are the two cohesive factors, one for the lower mental body and the other for the egoic lotus.
6. Astral plane liquid plane.7. Physical gross.132. This listing is fairly familiar and seems to have been repeated in various ways throughout TCF.
2. The seven differentiations in terms of fiery energy are:a. Plane of divine life Father Sea of fire.b. Plane of monadic life Son Akasha.
133. We are given seven terms: “Sea of fire”,” Akasha”, “Aether”, two elements—“Air” and “Fire”, and also “Astral Light”, and “Ether”. In this context, we are to understand them all as expressions of fiery energy.134. To think of the monadic plane as the plane of the “Son” is also arresting. Usually, when praying to “Our Father, Who art in heaven”, the Monad is meant (at least if this prayer is interpreted occultly).135. The Monad does, as we have seen, have its second aspect associations, and here is another.
c. Plane of atma Holy Ghost Aether.
136. Brahma and the Holy Ghost are, from one perspective, interchangeable. We may wish to include one of the expressions of Fohat here as well.
d. Plane of buddhi, intuition. Central Air.
137. To consider the buddhic plane as “central” is important. From this perspective, since man’s primary expression is to be upon the buddhic plane, man, too, is “central”.
e. Plane of mind Fire.f. Plane of desire Astral Light.
138. “Water” and “Astral Light” are necessarily closely related.139. The question arises: “Is that which is reflected in the “Astral Light” (as it would be reflected in “Water”) accurate?
g. Plane of physical Ether
140. “Ether” and “Earth” are necessarily closely related. The lowest chakra (for which the symbol is the same as that for the Earth) is related to ether rather than dense physicality.
Thought … … Thoughtforms … … Materialisation.
141. Here we have a three step process with thought as the least material energy of the three. Thought becomes thoughtforms and thoughtforms tend to materialize.
Microcosm … … … Macrocosm.
3. Planes of logoic evolution the seven planes.
142. The Solar Logos is etherically ‘positioned’ on the logoic plane. His evolution includes seven planes.143. It is significant that Sanat Kumara is focussed on the logoic plane and is a Representative and Disciple of the Solar Logos.Planes of Son's evolution the six planes.
144. From this perspective, the “Son” includes all Monads and evolves on six planes. Monads, then, are aspects of the “Son”—at least from the logoic perspective. From the perspective of the Planetary Logos, Monads are representatives of the “Father” for the “Father” aspect of the Planetary Logos is found on the monadic plane.145. It is also possible to consider the “Son” as the “Prodigal Son” who goes forth from the monadic plane.146. From another perspective, if Aries is the “Father”, then Leo is the “Son”. Can the “Son” (since it is ruled by Leo) be ‘positioned’ on the logoic sub-plane of the cosmic physical plane, since on that sub-plane a Creative Hierarchy ruled by Leo is found expressing?
Planes of monadic evolution the five planes.
147. The Monad stands ‘above’ the five planes of Brahma and evolves through those planets.148. If this is the case, should the “Son” stand ‘above’ the six planes through which it evolves? In the set up being presented, the “Son” is positioned on the sixth plane and His field of evolution includes six planes.149. The Solar Logos considered as the “Divine Son” and manifesting through His causal body on cosmic mental planes will have a close connection to the Monad—through the factor of “Sonship”. The human Monad (as a ray two/ray one center of force) may be considered as related to the Heart of the Sun but its relation to the Central Spiritual Sun cannot be denied.
Planes of human evolution the three worlds.
150. The temporary ‘home’ of the human being is ‘above’ the three lower worlds. The causal body is usually located on subplane nineteen or twenty (counting from below). Whether the microcosmic causal body can ever be ‘located’ on sub-plane twenty-one remains to be seen.151. The evolution of the “Son” is distinct from the other two evolutions, for the “Son” lives on the monadic plane and counts the monadic plane as one of the six planes through which it expresses.152. We can see that both the logoic and monadic sub-planes, can be considered fields of expression for both the “Father” and the “Son”, depending on whether we are considering solar logoic expression or planetary logoic expression.153. Perhaps the statement, “I and my Father are One” should be brought forward to assist with interpretation.
Seven is the number of the totality of manifestation.
154. We have to consider the relation of the seven to the ten. The totality of manifestation, it seems, should include a supernal three. Perhaps these three are considered existent but unmanifest.
Three is the number of consciousness.
155. If three can be expanded to become nine, then we will have agreement with other references in the Teaching.156. However, to have consciousness, we must have the Perceiver, the Perceived and the Perceiving (the Thinker, the Thought and That which is the Means of Thought). This is a three.
One is the number of Life or Spirit.
157. This is, perhaps, the greatest of all truisms. Yet it is of little value to repeat it. It must be experienced.
4. Electric fire Solar fire Fire by friction.Father Son Holy Ghost.Spirit Consciousness Matter.
158. We note that the Holy Ghost is to correspond with Matter. However, from another perspective, the Holy Ghost hovers ‘above’ Matter or Mother. Some systems of cosmogony simply divide the Holy Ghost from the Mother Who is considered to be Matter.159. Otherwise, the divisions are familiar to us all.160. We realize, however, that we will have to consider the logoic plane as the home of electric fire, and the monadic plane as the home of solar fire, not to mention the association of the atmic plane with fire by friction.161. Ordinarily, from the perspective of the Monad, we consider the monadic plane in relation to electric fire, the higher mental plane in relation to solar fire and the lower eighteen system sub-planes in relation to fire by friction.162. From a higher perspective, the planes of the spiritual triad can all be considered in relation to solar fire.In the solar system we have:
First, the three higher planes, which have been rightly called the planes of the three aspects;
163. The Rays of Aspect are directly connected with these higher three planes.
second, the seventh logoic principle is on the first plane, and we can consider it as the impulse in physical matter which produced His body of objectivity.
164. From our study of the correspondence of the permanent atom with the seventh principle of any sheath, we will want to consider the relationship between the permanent atom of the cosmic physical plane and the “seventh logoic principle”.165. For man, the seventh principle is found upon the atmic plane. For the Solar Logos, the seventh principle (of His etheric/physical body only) is found upon the logoic plane. Are we to search for the Planetary Logos’ seventh principle (i.e., His etheric/physical seventh principle) upon the monadic plane?166. We are not searching for the seventh logoic principle which involves the higher cosmic planes. We would do this if we began to analogize with exactitude from the human or microcosmic pattern in which case the seventh principle of the Solar Logos might have its home upon the cosmic atmic plane (just as man’s seventh principle is on the systemic atmic plane), and the seventh principle of the Planetary Logos upon which plane?—the cosmic buddhic?167. Instead we seem to be analogizing from the permanent atom which has its ‘home’ on the highest sub-plane of the plane to which it belongs. For man, the permanent atom considered as the seventh principle of his etheric/physical body is found upon the systemic atomic ether. For the Solar Logos, the physical permanent atom considered as the seventh principle of His etheric/physical body is found upon the cosmic atomic ether.
On the second plane are found the seven Heavenly Men, Who are His principal centres of force.
168. What does it mean that the “seven Heavenly Men” are “found” on the second or monadic plane?169. Where are the physical permanent atoms of the Planetary Logoi to be found? Are such physical permanent atoms what are meant by the “principal centres of force” of the Solar Logos? The matter is intricate.170. Perhaps we could say that the highest etheric expression of the Heavenly Men is found on the second plane. If They express on the logoic plane, we might be hard pressed to call such an expression etheric. We recall what might be called ‘the relativity of etheric expression’ when contrasting the etheric expression of a Solar Logos and the etheric expression of a Planetary Logos.171. Yet if these Planetary Logoi are to serve as etheric expressions of the Solar Logos, at least some of Them must also be found expressing etherically on the buddhic plane or fourth cosmic ether. If the analogy between man and the Solar Logos holds good, at least some of the chakras (the lower ones) are found on the fourth ether—the fourth systemic ether for man and the fourth cosmic ether for the Solar Logos.172. The Planetary Logos has centers of force on the higher mental plane, the buddhic plane and probably on the atmic as well—ashramic centers, among other types of centers. We do not know if the centers in such beings as Globe-Lords or Chain-Lords are found on the atmic and buddhic planes, or higher mental plane, but we may infer so.173. From a larger perspective we may think that the Solar Logos also has centers on the buddhic and atmic planes (though none on the higher mental plane); the aggregations of ashramic groups forming etheric centers in the etheric body of the Solar Logos would simply have to be larger than the aggregations of ashramic groups forming etheric centers in the cosmic etheric body of a Planetary Logos. The Solar Logos would also have (on the logoic plane) some kind of etheric centers, and the Planetary Logoi would have none. The focus of the Three Logoi (cf. Chart Vehicle, TCF 344) on the logoic plane seem to have something to do with the potentially highest solar logoic centers, just as the “principal centres” of a Solar Logos have to do with the Planetary Logoi.174. However, the “principal centres” of the Solar Logos are on the monadic plane. The highest etheric expression of the Heavenly Men are those centers and to a lesser extent, monadic groupings within the centers of these Heavenly Men would also be centers within a Solar Logos—though more minor centers.175. Human Monads, as we usually consider them, are cosmic etheric expressions. May we consider them as expressions upon the highest cosmic ether of the Planetary Logoi (though not the highest cosmic ether of the Solar Logos)?
There are others, but we are not here concerned with Them.
176. Perhaps we are speaking of other kinds of Planetary Logoi of lesser scope than the seven major ones. They would also be centers of force in a Solar Logos.177. Chain Lords or Globe Lords might also be considered centers of force in a Solar Logos, but definitely lesser centers of force.
These latter have achieved a certain specific goal, and are the [Page 520] embodiment of centres which are now quiescent or out of manifestation, the logoic kundalini having turned its attention elsewhere.
178. These centers might or might not be non-sacred Planetary Logoi. It is possible that they are ‘old’ centers which, yes, are not sacred, but are unlike other non-sacred planets, because (unlike the non-sacred planets of which we are presently aware) they not presently going through a developmental cycle.179. We can understand “logoic kundalini” as a kind of ‘developmental finger of God’. What it touches is stimulated and develops.180. Logoic kundalini observes the time-space schedule of the Solar Logos. It moves according to the Divine Plan for this solar system.
Under another enumeration they make the ten of the esoteric life, and can also be enumerated as twelve, thus forming the twelve-petalled Lotus, or the heart centre in the Body of the ONE ABOUT WHOM NOUGHT MAY BE SAID.
181. We have somewhat covered this idea a little earlier in earlier comments.182. We are learning that planetary centers on the second or monadic plane can be numbered in various ways. One mode of numbering produces an esoteric ten, and another a twelve (which would correspond to the twelve petals in the heart center of a Cosmic Logos).183. If numbers can change in this way, it means that (perhaps in several instances) two or more of the twelve Planetary Logoi have to be counted as one unit, and (in other instances) no longer thus counted (depending on the perspective taken). We have to reckon with the perspectives which ‘see’ the Planetary Logoi as seven, as ten and as twelve.184. It is obvious that to produce a ten or twelve upon the monadic plane, Planetary Logoi which are other than the present sacred planets will have to be included.185. The particular One About Whom Naught May Be Said referenced in this context is definitely a Cosmic Logos and not a Super-Cosmic Logos.186. To learn the mysteries of ‘occult counting’, we must learn the manner in which the Masters group different kinds of entities—sometimes considering them with others and sometimes alone.187. It will be noted (as we continue to read below) that we have skipped the atmic plane. It would seem that it is not legitimate to do so and that, in some manner, we are being deliberately blinded.188. If one checks Chart V, TCF 344, we shall see that the cosmic atmic plane is also skipped. There is purpose to this. It is not that there is a breach in continuity.
On the fourth cosmic ether the buddhic plane, are found the etheric centres of the Logos.
189. These are distinct from what, ‘above’, are called His “principal centres of force”. There should be a correspondence to a solar logoic etheric heart center found on the monadic plane along with what are called the Solar Logos’ “principal centers of force”.190. There seems to be some way in which the Planetary Logoi (twelve of them, it would seem) participate (together) in the heart center of a Cosmic Logos and other, lower, ways in which they simply represent etheric centers of the Solar Logos.191. We have, however, breached the analogy implied on TCF 817. The Solar Logos should have centers of force on the atmic plane (a correspondence to the throat center), monadic plane (a correspondence to the heart center), and logoic plane (a correspondence to the head center).192. Could it be that the solar logoic centers on the higher two cosmic etheric sub-planes could be considered as etheric head centers. If so, there would be three head centers (the Three Logoi) on the systemic logoic plane, and seven head centers (the seven Planetary Logoi—when grouped as seven) on the systemic monadic plane.193. The great head center of man has many parts. Are all of them on the first systemic ether, or are some of them on the second systemic ether. Perhaps the quality and rays of Vulcan will one day disclose the mystery, for Vulcan, though a planet of will (governing, we infer, the seven head centers of man) is also a planet associated with the Heart of the Sun, and thus with the number two and, perhaps, the second systemic ether.
There are to be found the esoteric planets and the Sun, viewed as the centre of the buddhic principles, and from thence the Logos animates His dense physical manifestation.
194. Here we have another most occult statement. What are “the esoteric planets”? We are told that there are many etheric planets in our solar system. Is this what is meant by “esoteric planets”? Can they be named “esoteric” because they cannot presently be seen?195. We must watch closely: we are not speaking of the “buddhic principle” but of the “buddhic principles”—plural. Are the potencies of the buddhic sub-planes meant? Do different “esoteric planets” express different buddhic principles or buddhic-plane potencies?196. The Sun is greater than all the Planetary Logoi. How is it, then, that the Sun is “found” upon the buddhic plane? Do we mean that on the buddhic plane there is a cosmic physical ‘reflection’ of the Heart of the Sun? This would be reasonable.197. The Heart of the Sun, solar fire and the buddhic principles are all allied.198. The “Sun” or Solar Logos is a very buddhic Entity and can be considered as the central factor within and behind all buddhic demonstration.199. Thus it would be the “Sun” as the sustainer of all buddhic demonstration that would be “found” upon the buddhic plane.200. The term “esoteric” for “esoteric planets” probably does not indicate the advancement of the Planetary Logoi involved but only their occulted nature.201. Or, DK may be considering the esoteric, subjective or buddhically responsive aspect of the usual planets.202. The meaning of the term “esoteric” in relation to the term “planets” cannot presently be resolved with certainty.203. Finally, it is always clear that from the buddhic plane animation of the lower planes arises. Analogously, from the fourth systemic ether (the correspondence on the physical plane to the buddhic plane) animation of the lower three sub-planes of the physical plane arises.
Finally, on the three lower planes we have His gaseous, liquid, and dense bodies or sheaths, forming in themselves a unity in one peculiar sense;
204. We remember that we are still, principally, speaking of the Solar Logos.205. These three form a unity of unprincipled substance—unprincipled in relation to the Solar Logos.
they are as much a coherent whole as the three higher planes form a unified triple expression of the three persons of the Trinity.
206. Where shall we look for the three persons of the Logoic Trinity? On the three highest sub-planes of the cosmic physical plane.207. The threefold solar logoic “Dweller” (from one limited point of view) can be found on the twenty-one lower sub-planes of the systemic planes.208. From the planetary logoic standpoint, the human personality is a “Dweller”. From the solar logoic standpoint, the human personality and egoic lotus, together, form a “Dweller”.
We have a similar analogy in the subplanes of each plane in the system, and this will become ever more apparent as man achieves a greater clarity of vision, and can consciously ascertain for himself the truth about the subjective life.
209. Whatever we can say about the systemic planes we can say about the systemic sub-planes.210. One good way of clarifying one’s conceptions concerning planes and sub-planes is constantly to compare the dynamics occurring on each.211. The three higher sub-planes of any systemic plane are always the planes of a lesser trinity, involving the analogies to the Father, Son and Holy Ghost. They are the correspondences to the logoic, monadic and atmic planes. From the perspective of the entire cosmic physical plane, the “Father” is found upon the systemic logoic plane, the “Son” upon the systemic monadic plane and the “Holy Ghost” upon the systemic atmic plane212. Because the heart center is always found on the monadic plane correspondence (sub-plane two), it is impossible to separate monadic expression from heart expression.213. We remember in this regard that the “life aspect” is centered in the heart.214. Perhaps we can associate the Monad with the heart in the head center, and some other structure on the logoic plane with the very center of the head center—the central jewel.215. Further, it would seem likely that the seventh principle in the form of a permanent atom would have a direct connection with the first aspect of every chakra—its central jewel.
Let us briefly take these planes and study the life or force manifestation on each, laying the emphasis upon the lower four, and not so much upon the planes which do not concern man so closely.
216. DK is saying that the atmic, monadic and logoic systemic planes do not concern man as closely as the planes below. He is including the buddhic plane as a plane which concerns man closely. This is reasonable as full expression upon the buddhic plane is the objective of the members of the Fourth Creative Hierarchy.
The Logoic Plane. The first, the second, and the third subplanes of the first cosmic ether respond specifically to the vibration of one of the three aspects, or to those cosmic Entities Whose influence reaches the matter of the planes from without the system altogether.
217. DK is speaking of cosmic influences to which the highest three sub-planes of the logoic plane respond.218. Even the Brahma, Vishnu and Shiva of our solar system are intra-systemic Beings, although They, like the Solar Logos are sometimes called “cosmic”.219. If, however, we are considering the solar system to be only the etheric-physical nature of the Solar Logos, then streams of influence from the cosmic astral plane or cosmic mental plane would be considered to originate “from without the system altogether”.220. So it is possible that, rather than look for these Sources as Cosmic Logoi, they could be the Brahma, Vishnu and Shiva of our solar system (cf. TCF 1238)221. Our Solar Logos is a cosmic Being and so are His Three Logoi. Is it of Them that we speak?222. On the other hand, we could be speaking of some Entities Who are not at all part of the Solar Logos—such as, for instance, that Solar Logos Who expresses the first ray within the Seven Solar Systems of Which Ours is One, and of two other Solar Logoi Who express the second and third rays within that constellation of which our Solar Logos and His Sun are a part.223. Or, perhaps, the influence of the Great Bear (as a whole) could affect the first logoic sub-plane; the Little Bear might affect the second, and the “Seven Sisters” of the Pleiades, the third sub-plane.
On the fourth subplane comes a primary blending of the three fiery Lives,
224. We are still speaking of the sub-planes of the systemic logoic plane.
producing archetypally that force manifestation of electricity which eventually causes the blazing forth of the Sons of Light on the next plane.
225. The “Sons of Light” are Heavenly Men, so it would seem.226. If the Three Logoi (considered as “three fiery Lives”) had Their forces blended on the fourth sub-plane of the logoic plane, it is They (greater than any Planetary Logos) Who could facilitate the blazing forth of the Sons of Light on the monadic plane.227. It must be obvious that the information now being imparted is extremely occult and deep.228. It is also clear that the fourth sub-plane of the systemic logoic plane is a kind of higher correspondence to the systemic buddhic plane as a whole.
In this electrical connotation we have the three higher planes ever embodying the threefold Spirit aspect, the lower [Page 521] three embodying the threefold substance aspect, and then a plane of at-one-ment whereon an approximation is made which, on the path of return, marks the moment of achievement, and the point of triumph.
229. We are being presented with an archetypal arrangement which holds through for all manner of planes and sub-planes. In the section of text above we are no longer speaking strictly of the systemic logoic plane.230. The term “approximation” as here used means the alignment or interplay of the energy of the highest three with the energy of the lowest three.231. It is interesting that the “fourth great cycle of attainment”, at which point the focus of consciousness is found upon the buddhic plane, is considered a “point of triumph”.232. We think of Scorpio and the fourth ray: “Warrior I am and from the battle I emerge triumphant”. The triumph of humanity is related to the fourth ray, the fourth initiation and to the buddhic plane—all naturally involving the potency of Scorpio. The triumph of Scorpio actually occurs because of an infusion of buddhic consciousness.233. There are a number of ways to divide the seven planes: here we are speaking of 3—1—3.234. The Spirit is threefold. In this system of division, the first three planes are home to the three aspects of Spirit. From another perspective, the three aspects of the Monad on the monadic plane represent the three aspects of Spirit.235. Is it possible that each aspect of Spirit is threefold, making a ninefold division on the first three planes of any sevenfold system?
This is succeeded by obscuration.
236. Approximation and at-one-ment on the central plane of the seven is succeeded by obscuration. Can we then regard the buddhic plane as the plane of synthesis in the threefold sequence: synthesis, obscuration, absorption?237. The activity which occurs on the buddhic plane is succeeded by obscuration which may involve the atmic plane.
Hence on every plane in the solar system we have a fourth plane whereon the struggle for perfect illumination, and subsequent liberation takes place, the battle ground, the Kurukshetra.
238. The number four is always related to battle and, thus, to Kurukshetra.239. We remember that in the fivefold sequence of meditation, Scorpio (the premier fourth ray constellation) is related to the meditative phase called “Illumination”.240. Both Taurus and Scorpio (each related to illumination in a different way) are signs through which the fourth ray predominantly expresses.241. Who was the
KrishnaWho appeared to Arjuna during that ancient battle some four million years ago? It seems too long ago to have been the One we now call the Christ, and yet, perhaps at that time, He was focussed on the fourth ray in His soul nature.242. Illumination is usually considered a mental unfoldment. Here we learn that on the buddhic plane we may “struggle for perfect illumination”. The rulership of the buddhic plane by Mercury makes this seem reasonable. Mercury has been called the “Star of Conflict”. Since Mercury restores sight to the blind, it is clearly a planet to be associated with illumination.243. Can we think that the struggle to be found upon the buddhic plane prepares the initiate for that illumination which comes with Mastership at the Initiation of “Revelation”?244. DK said that we have this struggle “on every plane in the solar system”. He did not say, ‘on every sub-plane of this solar system”, and yet planes from one perspective are but sub-planes from another.245. Is it reasonable to conceive of the fourth sub-plane of every systemic plane to be a sub-plane of struggle? Can we penetrate any deeper? What of struggle within the sub-planes themselves? Our Teaching does not go into sub-plane dynamics so minutely.246. In all this discussion of the relation of the fourth ray to illumination, we should not forget the following:This has been called the "ray of struggle" for on this ray the qualities of rajas (activity) and tamas (inertia) are so strangely equal in proportion that the nature of the fourth ray man is torn with their combat, and the outcome, when satisfactory, is spoken of as the "Birth of Horus," of the Christ, born from the throes of constant pain and suffering. (EP I 206)
247. Horus is the symbol both of the “Son” and of the “Sun God”.
Though for man the fourth plane, the buddhic, is the place of triumph, and the goal of his endeavour, for the Heavenly Man it is the battle-ground, while for the solar Logos it is the burning-ground.
248. Man reaches the buddhic plane in triumph. He has become a higher demonstration of the fourth ray planet Mercury. He is illumined by buddhi, the intuition.249. When DK speaks of the fourth plane, does He speak only of the fourth sub-plane of the cosmic physical plane? This is asked because we are told that the Planetary Logos has been struggling upon the fourth sub-plane of the cosmic astral plane. He is doing this to achieve systemic dispassion, for, compared with some of the other Planetary Logoi, He is ‘passionate’.250. Is the fourth systemic ether a battle ground for some men and a burning ground for others? We might say so, and thereby be able to save the analogy.251. If the fourth ether is a “battle-ground” for some types of men, there is occurring a conflict between the etheric body and physical body of man. Man is attempting to focus etherically and to control the physical elemental, but the physical elemental keeps pulling him back.252. If the fourth ether is a “burning-ground”, then the man in question is reaching a kind of liberation and is prepared for some degree of continuity of consciousness. He is becoming an initiate of some kind.253. So let us look at the systemic buddhic plane. For a Planetary Logos (according to the statements above) there is raging a battle, between unprincipled substance and principled substance. He is in danger of being pulled back if He does not win the battle.254. But what, for a Planetary Logos, is the fourth ether? From one perspective, it is actually the higher mental plane. Yet it does not seem to be the higher mental plane which is here referenced. Rather it is the fourth plane which for a Planetary Logos is the focus of the third aspect.255. Are the Ashrams within the ring-pass-not of the Planetary Logos engaged in battle? So it would seem.256. For the Solar Logos, the buddhic plane is a burning ground, we are told. What type of liberation or initiation is the Solar Logos achieving through the assembled groups to be found upon the buddhic plane? What will be the consequences if the Solar Logos is freed entirely from the backward pull of the three lower sub-planes of the cosmic physical plane—the systemic physical-etheric plane, the systemic astral plane and the entire systemic mental plane? Freed from the backward pull of the energy of the first solar system?257. What is happening to the Ashrams on the buddhic plane as a result of the buddhic burning-ground which the Solar Logos is experiencing? Are they being liberated through a process of group initiation? It would seem so.258. Following the Law of Analogy in these instances is difficult but revelatory.259. If we keep a strict analogy between man and the Solar Logos, then the cosmic buddhic plane is the plane of triumph for the Solar Logos.260. But what is the place of triumph for the Planetary Logos? Is it the cosmic buddhic plane, or holding strictly to the concept of ‘plane relativity’ is it the higher sub-planes of the cosmic mental plane?261. More practically, we can ask ourselves whether we (as human beings) are passing through battle-grounds or burning-grounds and what the difference may be.262. When the burning really beings, the battle is almost won.
This differentiation of the subplanes of the systemic planes into a higher three, a lower three, and a central plane of harmony is only so from the standpoint of electrical phenomena, and not from the standpoint of either pure Spirit, or pure substance, viewed apart from each other. It concerns the mystery of electricity, and the production of light.
263. This section is placed in italics so it must be of considerable importance.264. Electrical phenomena depend upon the interplay between dualities. In fact, electricity may be defined as the ‘interplay between dualities’.265. One can wonder whether pure Spirit and pure substance can ever be viewed apart from each other.266. The differentiation of a systemic plane into the divisions 3—1—3 suggest that an interplay between Spirit and matter is in process and that, under the terms of this type of division, they are not to be considered separately.267. It is clear that, symbolically, the Sun belongs to the buddhic plane because on that plane the light born of the interaction between Spirit and matter appears.
The three higher planes concern the central Forces or Lives, the three lower concern the lesser Forces or Lives.
268. We notice that there is very little difference between the terms “higher” and “central”. In occultism, “deep” is “high”.
We must bear this carefully in mind, remembering that to the occultist there is no such thing as substance, but only Force in varying degrees, only Energy of differentiated quality, only Lives emanating from different sources, each distinctive and apart, and only Consciousness producing intelligent effect through the medium of space.
269. Let us tabulate that which the occultist understands:a. There is no such thing as substanceb. There is only Force in varying degreesc. There is only Energy of differentiated qualityd. There are only Lives emanating from different sourcese. There is only Consciousness producing intelligent effect through the medium of space270. The occultist is not deceived by the glamor of materiality. He recognizes “substance” as “force”, “energy” and “life”.271. If the occultist uses the term “substance”, he does not think of it as ‘stuff’.272. Force has “varying degrees” of application.273. Energies have differentiated qualities but are not necessarily applied forces.274. All that we usually call “substance” is defined in a manner most occult: “only Consciousness producing intelligent effect through the medium of space”. If He had said “through the medium of substance” the mind would think the interpretation easier, but “space” is the “medium”.275. If by “space” we mean the “field of consciousness” or the “field of perception” perhaps we can grasp something of the meaning.276. “Space” and “Consciousness” are inseparable. Without consciousness there would be no space (at least intra-cosmic space). Space is the ‘sphere of consciousness’. Within this sphere there are only forces, energies (i.e., lives) at work.277. There is consciousness; there is the sphere of consciousness; there is the intelligent effect produced within the sphere of consciousness.278. Matter is that which is created through an act of Self-perception. Matter/substance isn’t even ‘there’ before there is perception. Matter/substance is the registration of lives that live within ‘One’s-Self’. To fathom this will require deep pondering.
I would point out that the Lord Agni shows forth His fiery life on the atomic subplane of each plane;
279. This links Lord Agni with the first ray.280. Who is Lord Agni? The following will be of value:He is not the solar Logos on the cosmic mental plane, for the egoic consciousness of the Logos is more than His physical manifestation, but Agni is the sumtotal of that portion of the logoic Ego which is reflected down into His physical vehicle; He is the life of the logoic Personality, with all that is included in that expression. He is to the solar Logos on His own plane what the coherent personality of a human being is to his Ego in the causal body. (TCF 603)281. We find that Lord Agni is a comprehensive Deity, including as His sphere of manifestation eighteen cosmic sub-planes. He demonstrates on all those planes, but in different ways. Fire electric, solar fire and fire by friction are included within Him.He shows forth as solar fire on the second, third and fourth, and as 'fire by friction' on the fifth, sixth and seventh.
282. It has sometimes been enquired—“Where shall solar fire be found?” “Shall it be found in the realm of the triad as well as within the realm of the Ego when that Ego is considered as manifesting on the higher mental plane”?283. Here we have an answer. Solar fire is to be found on the monadic, atmic and buddhic planes. This triplicity represents a triad which is greater than the usual scope of the spiritual triad, for the spiritual triad includes the higher mental plane and the triad given here does not.284. In any case, the egoic ray manifesting through solar fire will certainly be found active on the buddhic and atmic planes as well as on the three sub-planes of higher mind. Further, are we to find the egoic ray also active on the level of the Monad, the second plane? This must be questioned.285. When considering solar fire in relation to the Monad, it must be a solar fire that embraces the monadic ray. Is the monadic ray an expression only of electric fire? Probably not, as in our solar system and on the cosmic physical plane , electric fire is to be considered a sub-category of a larger type of solar fire—the solar fire which is more purely an expression of our particular Solar Logos.286. What we begin to see is that with solar fire manifesting on such high levels, the ray which represents solar fire must not simply disappear when the causal body disappears.287. If the spiritual triad remains, then solar fire remains.288. If the Monad remains expressive on the monadic plane (for it could be expressive in a less encumbered form on the logoic plane) then a higher form of solar fire remains.289. Really, the solar fire of our second ray Solar Logos pervades His expression on the twenty-one lower cosmic sub-planes.290. We must think in terms of greater and lesser intensities of solar fire.
From the point of view of the microcosm, the Spark in the Flame,
291. The Monad is the “Spark in the Flame” and the human Monad is (in this context) the microcosm.man demonstrates as electric fire on the second plane, or the second cosmic ether;
292. The Monad is, for practical purposes, a demonstration of electric fire, but the showing forth of Agni as solar fire on the second, third and fourth systemic planes brings the solar fire effect to the human Monad as suggested above.
as solar fire on the third, fourth and the three higher subplanes of the fifth [Page 522] plane, and as fire by friction on the lower subplanes of the fifth, on the sixth, and seventh planes.
293. Here is the confirmation that upon all planes of the spiritual triad, an expression of solar fire is to be found. The importance of this is that the true (unsheathed, unshrouded) soul is the Ego or spiritual triad on the atmic, buddhic and higher manasic levels and that the soul ray expresses through the true Ego or spiritual triad.294. Between Agni (as the personality of the Solar Logos) and the human Monad, we would find the Planetary Logos. How does He demonstrate? There seems no ‘room’ to interpolate this great Entity in this discussion of the demonstration of the fires on various planes and sub-planes.
c. The Planes and the Three Fires. On every plane we have, relatively speaking:
295. We note the term “relatively speaking”, as there are many ways to divide planes: 1—6; 1—1—5; 2—5; 4—3; 3—4; 3—1—3; 5—2; 6—1; etc.
a. Electric fire demonstrating as the prime condition on the higher three.b. Fire by friction as the most significant factor on the lower three.c. Solar fire, showing forth as the blaze produced by union on the central plane.
296. Solar fire always shows forth as a central blaze, so much depends upon what is considered to be “central”.
In the solar system this is to be seen in connection with a Heavenly Man on the buddhic plane, where They blaze forth through Their etheric centres.
297. For a Heavenly Man the central plane is considered to be the buddhic. Yet for a Solar Logos, the central plane would also be considered the buddhic.298. From another perspective, the higher mental plane could be considered, for a Heavenly Man, the central plane. Before the majority of Ashrams refocused on the buddhic plane, the higher mental plane was of greater or more “central” importance to the Planetary Logos.299. We remember above that the “esoteric planets” were found on the buddhic plane along with the “Sun”. Here we read that the Heavenly Men, in general, blaze forth on the buddhic plane.300. Perhaps the term “esoteric planets” suggests a certain subjective way of considering the normal planets.
In connection with man on the mental plane, we have a similar condition: the three higher subplanes concern the Spirit aspect in the causal body,
301. This “Spirit aspect” is represented by the "Jewel in the Lotus".302. Again, we have the implication that the causal body can be found on the highest of the sub-planes of the mental plane, whereas other references point to its destruction on the second sub-plane of the higher mental plane.
the three lower subplanes concern primarily the mental sheath, or fire by friction;
303. This is reasonable.
the fourth subplane is that on which the force centres of the mental body are to be found.
304. There are four force centers portrayed in the diagram on TCF 815. The higher centers (head, heart and throat—such as are found on the higher three astral and etheric sub-planes) are expressed probably as ‘tier structures’ in the causal body.305. As a Master has thirty-five force vortices, one wonder whether after the fourth initiation is taken, three chakric vortices establish themselves on the higher mental plane.306. There is a very big question about what happens to the manasic vehicle (presumably built around the manasic permanent atom) after the fourth initiation.
So it is on the physical plane for man—his etheric centres being located in matter of the fourth ether.
307. It seems only partially true that the etheric centers of man are located in the fourth ether. Some of them are, but the charts seem to contradict this (cf. Chart VIII, TCF, 817). In this chart the throat, heart and head centers are located on the third, second and first ethers respectively.
Each of the three Persons of the Trinity manifests equally as does a man, as Spirit, Soul or Ego, and Substance.
308. All E/entities seem to have this threefold mode of manifestation. The question is: “Upon which plane or planes does this manifestation occur?”309. Do the Three Persons of the Logoic Trinity manifest on the same cosmic physical sub-planes as does the Solar Logos (considered as a whole)? Perhaps the answer is, “yes”, as the causal bodies of these Three Persons are, like the causal body of the Solar Logos, found upon the highest sub-plane of the cosmic mental plane.
In connection with Brahma, we have the Spirit aspect animating the three higher subplanes of every plane, or the first fire aspect. His soul aspect is found on the fourth subplane of each plane whereon are situated the etheric centres of all manifested entities.
310. We may consider Brahma as the third aspect of the Solar Logos, but to interpret accurately the section above, we must know with certainty what the Tibetan means by “Brahma”.311. It is difficult to know why DK continues to repeat the thought that the fourth sub-plane is that on which “are situated the etheric centres of all manifested entities”. From other things that He has said, this assertion can only be partially correct.312. If that Person (called Brahma) of the Logoic Trinity is thus situated, what of Vishnu and Shiva (the other Persons of that Trinity)?313. Or are we referring to Brahma (and not Vishnu or Shiva) because we are speaking primarily of expression upon the cosmic physical plane?
His substance aspect is primarily contacted on the three lower subplanes.
314. Yet, according to His positioning, He still works through the middle and higher sub-planes of the cosmic physical plane.315. Still, it does make sense that the substance aspect of Brahma would primarily be contacted on the three lower sub-planes.316. Since, Brahma, is a great God, He naturally has a soul and Spirit aspect—even though He is primarily associated with materiality and intelligence.
Hence we have the forty-nine fires of matter,
317. Presumably, we would have one fire for each of the forty-nine sub-planes.318. There are “Seven Sons of Fohat”. Each of these “Seven Sons” can be divided into seven. Fohat is, from one point of view, Brahma.
or the seven fires of each plane,
319. Again—one on each sub-plane…
the union of the higher three and the lower three producing that blaze which we call the wheels of fire or the centres on the fourth subplane of each plane.
320. Here we have the fires of Brahma implicated in producing the chakric blaze found on the fourth sub-plane of each plane.321. This is particularly true in relation to the cosmic physical plane. Would Vishnu be implicated in the production of ‘etheric’ chakras on the cosmic astral plane, and Shiva in producing the set of chakras which must, by analogical necessity, be found upon the fourth level of the cosmic mental plane?322. Presumably this blaze is to be found on every fourth sub-plane of each of the seven planes. The inference is that chakras of some kind are to be found on each of the seven systemic planes.
In connection with the second aspect there is a similar [Page 523] condition.
323. Is the distribution similar—3—1—3?324. Below there seem to be some modifications.325. It would seem that we are now dealing with the Vishnu aspect just as in the previous example, it was the Brahma aspect.
Solar fire blazes forth in its electrical aspect on the second plane, and demonstrates thus also on the third and fourth planes,
326. The same idea has been stated above:
I would point out that the Lord Agni shows forth His fiery life on the atomic subplane of each plane; He shows forth as solar fire on the second, third and fourth,…
327. We should note that the second plane is a combination of the expression of the first and second rays. The second ray is primary and the first ray secondary.328. In what is stated below, it should be remembered that Lord Brahma is ‘older’ (in terms of manifestation) than Lord Vishnu.329. For Brahma, electric fire blazed forth on the first three systemic sub-planes.330. For the second aspect or Vishnu aspect, the electrical aspect of solar fire blazed forth principally on the second plane but also on the third and fourth.
but finds its central demonstration on manasic levels,
331. Whereas the central demonstration for Brahma was on the buddhic plane, the central demonstration for the second aspect (let us call it the “Vishnu aspect”) demonstrates on the higher mental plane.332. This is reasonable as the demonstration of the Vishnu aspect began one plane lower than that of the Brahma aspect.333. Why should the Brahma aspect be more elevated than the second or Vishnu aspect? Perhaps because Vishnu began the process later than Brahma, and because the Primordial Ray is ‘older’ than the Divine Ray.
shining through the causal vehicles of the egoic groups.
334. The relation of the second aspect to the causal groups is given. The Vishnu aspect shines through the causal vehicles of the egoic groups.335. We could wonder whether the Solar Angels can be considered aspects of the Vishnu aspect.336. We must bear in mind that all Three Persons of the Logoic Trinity have three aspects. There is a tendency to think of them mono-dimensionally instead of ‘tri-dimensionally’.Only two and a half planes then remain through which the fire by friction aspect may manifest,
337. The fire by friction aspect of the Vishnu aspect is meant. Each of the major divine aspect has its electric fire, solar fire and fire by friction aspects.
eighteen subplanes in all which concern the third aspect of the second Person of the logoic Trinity.
338. We are definitely speaking of the “second Person of the logoic Trinity”.339. Eighteen systemic sub-planes represent the “second Person of the logoic Trinity” whereas twenty-one sub-planes represent the “third Person of the logoic Trinity”, Brahma—the oldest in terms of manifestation.340. Given the different ways of expression for Brahma and Vishnu, it is easy to associate Brahma closely with the Solar Logos (as a whole) and Vishnu with the Planetary Logoi Who are Dragons of Wisdom—‘Dragons of Love’.341. Yet, of course, from another perspective, the Solar Logos, as a whole, is Vishnu in a larger context—so identified is He with the principle of Love.
For man, the microcosm, a similar differentiation is possible;
342. DK has apparently skipped the planar manifestation of the Shiva aspect.343. We can question whether that Person of the Logoic Trinity is even manifesting, as yet, in any way noticeable.344. It He were, His central point of manifestation might be even ‘lower’ than that of Vishnu. Would it be upon the systemic astral plane, as Shiva carries the Trident (Neptune) and
Neptuneis the premier planet of the astral plane—Neptune, “God of the Waters”.
His Monad can be studied in its threefold essence on its own plane,
345. We are speaking of Will, Wisdom and Activity represented conventionally by an equilateral triangle on some charts.
his egoic aspect likewise,
346. Here we speak of two triplicities:a. If the “egoic aspect” is considered the spiritual triad, we have atma, buddhi and manasb. If the “egoic aspect” is more confined and considered to occupy only the sub-planes of the higher mental plane, we shall have the sacrifice petals, the love petals and the knowledge petalsand the Brahma aspect of the Ego is found within the permanent atoms.
347. We are speaking of the lower permanent atoms or the two lowest permanent atom and the mental unit.348. We always seem to witness a sevenfold or ninefold demonstration of any E/entity.349. We should be aware that a wonderful exposition of the planar expression of the Grand Heavenly Man, the Heavenly Man and man has been offered in the foregoing sections of text.
Students should therefore study with care:
1. The Planes. The manifestation of Brahma, the third or substance aspect, and should apply to this Entity the same triple constitution as is apparent in the other two.350. The importance of the nine when considering the Three Persons of the Logoic Trinity is suggested.
The planes of electric fire, the planes of his lower nature, and the point of blazing forth or conflagration for him (the etheric centres) must be carefully studied. Brahma is the positive life of matter; He is the revelation of substance and the blaze that can be seen.
351. Brahma has a “triple constitution” as do the other two Persons of the Logoic Trinity.352. His three planes of electric fire are the logoic, monadic and atmic sub-planes.353. The lower three planes are the planes of His lower nature354. The buddhic plane is the plane of His blazing forth as a conflagration.355. Here are excellent and unusual definitions of Brahma:a. Brahma is the positive life of matterb. Brahma is the revelation of substancec. Brahma is the blaze that can be seen356. Light is associated not only with the second aspect of divinity but with the third. In this case, Brahma is the blaze of light.357. We note that Brahma is not matter per se, but is the positive “life of matter”. The Holy Spirit is the “positive life of matter”.358. Brahma’s life may be particularly connected with the seven or forty-nine planes but Vishnu (or the second Person) also manifests through the planes—through beginning with a lower plane.
2. Vibration. The manifestation of the second aspect.
359. How interesting that the second aspect or Person of the Logoic Trinity should be associated with vibration! In every vibration there is an oscillation and hence, a duality corresponding to the number two of the second aspect.360. That Fundamental of the Secret Doctrine called the Law of Periodicity is, if we think about it, akin to the Law of Vibration.361. Vulcan is connected with the Law of Vibration. Vulcan is not only a first ray planet, but still more deeply may be connected with the second ray and with the “Heart of the Sun”.
These vibrations of consciousness are the major three words which are the sumtotal of egoic life, the minor three which govern the third aspect of the Ego, and the chord of at-one-ment which is that which is sounding forth now.
362. That which is given above is again of a very occult nature.363. Always the second aspect is associated with the Word or with words in general (although the speaking of words is associated with the third aspect). We have been told of six words (three which are major and three minor). They all seem to be confined within the Ego—even the final “chord of at-one-ment”.364. The “chord of at-one-ment” sounding forth in the Ego is a reflection of the buddhic energy, for the buddhic plane is the “plane of harmony”, and buddhi is the at-one-ing energy.365. What really, are “vibrations of consciousness”? Does consciousness vibrate? Or do vibrations within the substance aspect of divinity provide for the reception of different kinds of consciousness?366. Words, of course, are formed of differing kinds of vibrations and have a profound effect within substance. Different words open portals for the reception of various qualities and into spheres of consciousness.367. The soul has sixteen potencies. Sixteen reduces to seven and so these sixteen may be expressed as seven words. The number sixteen relates to the throat center (of sixteen petals) through which words are sounded—with magical effect (hence the seven).The three aspects of Spirit as they are seen can only be expressed in terms of the other two in this solar system, and of their nature extra-systemically nought can profitably be said at this stage of cognition.
368. We might have wondered about the planar expression of the “first Person of the Logoic Trinity”, but DK tells us that we cannot locate that expression, since the first aspect expresses, at this time, through the other two.369. If we look for the extra-systemic source of the highest aspect we shall also not detect it. Perhaps one of the great constellations in the One About Whom Naught May Be Said would be the source. It is not important to have these answers at this point in our development.370. However, two possible Sources of this Spirit or Shiva energy are that particular Solar Logos in the Seven Solar Systems of Which Ours is One, Who expresses the first ray, and that constellation in the One About Whom Naught May Be Said through which the first ray expresses—probably the Great Bear, considered in its entirety.
The above thoughts upon the planes, and the ninefold nature of all that is, take one into regions as yet almost beyond the grasp of man;
371. With this we can agree!372. We have taken note, have we not, of the Tibetan’s attempt to clarify the “ninefold nature of all that it”? Every triplicity is subdivisible into three sections of threes. The matter is complicated (especially as we begin to sense the relativity of planes and sub-planes through which the nine divisions may express), but there is no use evading acknowledgment of the complexity.373. The Three Persons of the Logoic Trinity are ever active and it would be well for us to understand the fields or dimensions through which they express, affecting as they do the microcosm.
yet only when the substance [Page 524] aspect is studied by the scientist in its triple nature will truth be approximated, and the true nature of electrical phenomena be comprehended;
374. We recall that in order to understand electrical phenomena, the seven planes must be subdivided into three parts according to the model, 3—1—3.375. Electrical phenomena arise from an essential cosmic division which is in process of attempting to reunite. This attempted reunion is the cause of all electrical interplay.376. It is quite astonishing to realize how closely electrical phenomena are related to the second ray—the ray which under the Law of Attraction reunites the apparently separated poles.
then and only then will electricity be harnessed and utilised by man as a unity, and not just in one of its aspects as at present;
377. The aspect presently utilized is the third aspect related to fire by friction.
the negative electricity of the planet is all that is as yet contacted for commercial purposes.
378. We see how far we have to go. However, developments concerning radioactive substances have begun to make the result of positive electricity available for commercial use. The many atomic power plants which generate electricity have expanded man’s use of electricity.379. As the Tibetan has stated however, that aspect of electricity which relates to solar fire or “mental fire” is still not understood or utilized, nor will it be for a long time.
It must be remembered that this term is used in the sense of negative in relation to solar electricity.
380. There is, apparently a type of electricity based on solar fire about which DK has said just a little. With the emergence of the soul of humanity some fuller idea of this type of electricity will probably also emerge.
When man has found out how to contact and utilise positive solar electricity in combination with negative planetary electricity, we shall have a very dangerous condition brought about, and one of the factors which will eventually manifest in the destruction of the fifth root race by fire.
381. At one point we are told that there will be an “attempt” to destroy the fifth root race by fire:Those who seek to evoke the Shamballa force are approaching close to the energy of fire. Fire is the symbol and the quality of the mental plane. Fire is an aspect of the divine nature. Fire was an outstanding aspect [Page 587] of the war. Fire is produced by physical means and the aid of the mineral kingdom and this was the great menacing and chosen means of destruction in this war. This is a fulfilment of the ancient prophecy that the attempt to destroy the Aryan race will be by means of fire, just as ancient Atlantis was destroyed by water. But, fiery goodwill and the conscious focussed use of the Shamballa force can counter fire by fire and this must be done. (TCF 586-587)
382. We must determine whether this “attempt” has already occurred in relation to the combined first and second world wars or whether a further “attempt” is yet to come. We must realize that as TCF was published in 1925, the reference, “in this war” must have signified the First World War.383. It would obviously be better for humanity if the “attempt” had already passed—unsuccessfully.384. Will the fifth root race be destroyed by fire? From the statements above it certainly seems so. Will this occur any time soon? It is probable that the sixth root race must be well into its development before any such destruction will occur.385. In relation to this destruction we cannot be talking about the "Judgment Day" because that is to occur in the middle of the next round which will possess an entirely new root race structure.386. What is the nature of “positive solar electricity”? It does not seem that DK means solar fire. Could He mean a type of solar fire by friction which relates to the prana and the etheric planes? Would we tend to call this “positive solar electricity” by the name “electric fire”? Clearly there is some obscurity around the matter and we are in no position to lift the veil.387. Is the danger DK is referring to related to the harnessing of ever greater power from the Sun?388. We might think of the role of “fiery goodwill” in relation to the dangerous union of “positive solar fire” and “negative planetary electricity”.
At that great cataclysm—as the Bible says "the Heavens will melt with fervent heat."70 [Bible. II Peter, .]
389. We learn from what follows that this melting will occur at the end of the fifth root race of the present round.
This will be seen in a still greater degree in the next round, and will cause that destruction by fire of the forms of the men who have failed, which will liberate the lives on a stupendous scale, and thus temporarily 'purify' the Earth from elements which would tend to hinder the evolutionary process.
390. We have been told that two-fifths of humanity will go into a temporary pralaya at that time and later be transferred to another planet.391. Here we hear that the destruction of their forms will facilitate that entry into pralaya.392. The lesser destruction at the end of the fifth root race of this fourth round will be the anticipatory prelude to a far greater destruction of forms at the "Judgment Day".393. Those who are not “on the Path” at the time of the "Judgment Day" in the next round will have failed.
As the cycles pass away, the balancing of these fiery currents will be gradually brought about, and will result in a planetary condition of harmony, and of esoteric equality, which will provide ideal environment for harmonious man.
394. We have been told of the great development in humanity which will occur following the "Judgment Day". It would seem that the buddhic quality will emerge in strength bringing with it the quality of harmony.395. It is important to realize the connection of the number five with fire. Usually it is the first ray which is associated with fire, but the fifth ray is a primary conduit into the first ray.396. The production of “harmonious man” would seem to relate to the emergence in power of the buddhic principle (the sixth principle) after the "Judgment Day" in the fifth round.397. Yet, even in our fourth round (and before so very long, due to the coming in the fourth ray in its monadic aspect) a period of planetary “peace” is predicted. This will be a anticipatory ‘reflection’ of the greater peace to follow the "Judgment Day" in the fifth round.
Only when the soul aspect is studied by the psychologist in its threefold essential nature will the mystery of consciousness become apparent, and the nature of the three magnetic groups, in their various subdivisions with their consequent effectual radiation become a factor in the public life.
398. We have turned our focus to man’s psyche. DK seems to be speaking of the study of three main groups of human beings characterized by the three Rays of Aspect. These, it would seem, are the three magnetic groups.399. This section deals with the necessity for the balancing of forces and for the union of three types of electricity: positive, negative and neutral.400. Obviously, when considering electricity in terms of microcosmic development, an understanding of the three major types of human being and the magnetic conditions which characterize them will be of great value.
This concerns itself with the definite development of the psyche under law, with the scientific expansion of the consciousness, and will eventually bring about conditions wherein the work, preliminary to the first initiation, will be purely exoteric, and no longer[Page 525] part of an esoteric process.
401. We are moving into just such a period—one in which the work preliminary to the first initiation is on the verge of becoming exoterically revealed.402. This possibility will represent a considerable deepening in humanity’s understanding of the human psyche, especially in relation to its potential spiritual dimensions.403. Yet, we could question here, whether by the term “first initiation” DK really means the third, for the work preceding the third initiation is really an “esoteric process” and that preceding the planetary first initiation may not be considered truly esoteric.404. Of course there is all manner of subjective work preceding even the first planetary initiation, and it may be to such work that DK is referring.
In due course of time, it will be found that the self-induced efforts whereby a man consciously prepares his centres for the application of the Rod of Initiation at the first Initiation, will be the subject of books, and of lectures, and form part of the ordinary thought of the masses.
405. Here, the inference is that the “first initiation” under discussion is, indeed, the planetary first initiation.406. May we expect that this will occur during the Aquarian Age? The possibility seems definite, as the intensifying Aquarian and seventh ray energies may well put the Christ (Who is the Initiator for the first two initiations) in a position to administer these initiations exoterically.407. We note again that the necessary preparations are to be “self-induced”. This puts the whole matter of preparation in the hands of the potential candidate and reduces the attitude of spiritual dependency.
This again will eventuate in a cleavage between the two groups in the middle of the fifth round.
408. Now, we have jumped very far head—as if millions of years in the space between two sentences.409. We do know that a major line of demarcation in the fifth round will concern the attitude of the members of these two groups to the Path.
It must be remembered that this cleavage will be part of a natural process, and not a drastic ruling, imposed upon an unwilling people.
410. Such a ruling would never work. Only that which grows out of man in a natural manner has any chance of enduring. Arbitrary rulings, even if they are well intended, are often overthrown.411. The Masters cannot impose salvation upon man.
The KNOWERS and the students of the Knowledge—actuated by group consciousness, and working consciously—will separate themselves in group formation from those who know not, and from those who care not.
412. In the fifth round group consciousness will be a factual demonstration—not just a theory as so often it is today.413. Here, more is said than elsewhere about the consciousness and psychological attitude of those who will go into pralaya in the middle of the fifth round
This cleavage will be self-induced, and a natural outgrowth of the group life;
414. We are speaking of an emerging discriminative cleavage. We must remember that the fifth ray rules the Law of Cleavages.415. During the fifth round the fifth ray will naturally be extremely potent.416. May we judge that the “middle of the fifth round” (at which time the "Judgment Day" is to occur) will refer to some kind of fifth root race extant on our globe at that time?
it will in itself be of a temporary nature for the fundamental aim in view will be the bringing about of an eventual closer merging;
417. Those who through developed group process will promote this cleavage will have no selfishness in them. They would be glad for the opportunity to bridge the cleavage that will be caused (to the extent that it would be possible). Yet, we know from the prophecies, that it will not be fully possible.418. Those units who cannot respond to the soul impulse and who are not even incipiently group conscious will not have the opportunity to endure on Earth in perpetuity. The destruction of their forms (so we are told) will come about and they will be transferred—into pralaya and eventually to another planet for continued development.
it will mark primarily the line of demarcation between the lower four Rays of consciousness, and the higher three.
419. This is a very interesting statement. We understand that the higher three rays are closer to the soul state and the lower four rays closer to the states of form.420. Those who will be retained upon the Earth will be merging into the state of soul, characteristic of those upon the Path. Some of the others (some of the remaining two fifths) may be intelligent, but they will not be spiritual.421. DK has told us elsewhere that the cleavage and the destruction will be considered at that time a great disaster by those who do not know better.
It is also a mystery hid in the relationship between the four exoteric Kumaras,71 [S. D., I, 116, 493; II, 112, 149] and the esoteric three, and from the point of view of man separates those who are developing the consciousness of the Triad from those who as yet are living the life of the Quaternary.
422. Right now only the four exoteric Kumaras are active in relation to the world process (at least in any ways we can hope to understand). All this may change by the time the middle of the fifth round arrives.423. We have yet to establish whether the three esoteric Kumaras are really ‘higher’ than the four exoteric Kumaras, or whether the positions of the exoteric and esoteric kumaras constantly rotate depending upon which rays are to be drawn forth into expression in our planetary scheme or parts of it.424. Here we do seem to be speaking of planetary Kumaras rather than systemic Kumaras manifesting as Planetary Logoi.425. Above we are given the basis on which the great cleavage shall occur. Those who are developing responsiveness to the life of the spiritual triad will be cloven from those who are still thoroughly invested in the quaternary.426. The three Rays of Aspect naturally correlate with triadal responsiveness and the four Rays of Attribute with the “life of the Quaternary”.
It concerns those who respond to the solar Lords, distinguishing them from those who recognise as yet only the control of the lunar Lords.
427. The distinction is clear. “Let the applicant see to it that the solar angel dims the light of the lunar angels remaining the sole luminary in the microcosmic sky.” (Rule V for Applicants—IHS)
In terms of Fire: those who warm themselves by means of fire by friction and respond not to the heat of solar fire remain within the cavern, thus living in the dark; whilst those whose being is irradiated by the Sun of Wisdom, and who bask in the rays of solar heat dwell in the light, and enjoy an ever increasing freedom, and vital existence.
428. These words have the ring of the Old Commentary. When thinking of “positive solar electricity” perhaps we do have to think in terms of solar fire!429. We must determine whether “solar electricity” and “solar fire” are the same.430. The great and coming battle (first in the fourth round—and probably, imminently—and later in the fifth) concerns the ongoing conflict between the Sun and the Moon. This will discriminate the developing white magicians from the ‘black’ (even if the ‘black magicians’ are unconsciously black).431. It would seem that by the time the middle of the fifth round is reached, the Black Lodge will suffer a considerable defeat upon our planet—with three fifths of humanity upon the Path, and only those three fifths remaining for development on our planet.The true significance of the three aspects of Spirit is only becoming apparent to the initiate of high degree,
432. By the “three aspects of Spirit” do we mean, Will, Wisdom and Activity?
[Page 526] and cannot be expressed in words, nor comprehended by man before he has passed out of the human kingdom into the spiritual.
433. This would signify passage into the fifth kingdom of nature. Probably we are speaking of the state of those who are well-established within the fifth kingdom. A third degree initiate would be well established.
Therefore, it is needless for us to pause here to consider it at greater length.
We might sum up the matter in terms of the Old Commentary from which source H. P. B. quoted so often:
"The Blessed Ones hide Their threefold nature, but reveal Their triple essence by means of the three great groups of atoms. Three are the atoms, and threefold the radiation. The inner core of fire hides itself and is known only through radiation and that which radiates. Only after the blaze dies out and the heat is no longer felt can the fire be known."
434. Who are the “Blessed Ones”? When we studied Esoteric Psychology, Volume II, we determined that a “Blessed One” was a Monad.435. We are speaking about a search for an “inner core of fire”. This is the fire of the “central positive life” which is only revealed after the consummatory conflagration which, in man, signifies the fourth initiation.436. We could be speaking of the Three Persons of the Logoic Trinity as Blessed Ones.437. It may also be wise to include the Three Buddha of Activity in our consideration. Certainly They are three “Blessed Ones”.438. We could also be speaking of the three aspects of the Monad which express through three different types of human beings considered as “atoms”.439. In Rule XIII for Applicants we are to learn the “laws of that which radiates”. In the context of that Rule, “that which radiates” is reasonably the Monad. The "Jewel in the Lotus", as the representative of the Monad (and the Monad, itself, is sometimes considered a “Jewel”) can also be considered as a “that which radiates”.440. We might also be differentiating the three types of atoms (the members of the atomic triangle, for instance) that are found within any greater atom and how they all interplay during the process of release. Eventually, after the conflagration, the “inner core of fire” reveals itself.441. The “inner core of fire” may be considered the "Jewel in the Lotus" in whatever type of atom is passing through the process of destruction.442. The foregoing sections have not been easy of apprehension. It has seemed that DK has skipped about and has changed His perspective often—from macrocosmic to microcosmic and back again. This must mean that He has had something to convey which cannot be explicitly stated and which must rely upon the intuition for revelation.443. Let us ponder.