Fellowship of Cosmic Fire
Commentary Semester V Section XII
TCF 563-567: S5S12
12 September 2007— 27 September 2007
(Most of the Tibetan’s text is put in font 16, to provide better legibility when projected during classes. Footnotes and references from other AAB Books and from other pages of TCF are put in font 14. Commentary appears in font 12. Underlining, Bolding and Highlighting by MDR)
It is suggested that this Commentary be read with the TCF book handy, for the sake of continuity. As analysis of the text is pursued, many paragraphs are divided, and the compact presentation in the book, itself, will convey the overall meaning of the paragraph.
1. We continue from Commentary XI with the subject of “specific purpose”.
2. In the previous Commentary we were considering three ideas or factors related to the “specific purpose” of any thoughtform:a. The Factor of Identityb. The Factor of Timec. The Factor of Karmad. Now we add the Factor of the Lesser Builders
The Factor of the Lesser Builders. Here a most interesting factor comes in upon which we shall enlarge later, when considering the elementals. The specific purpose of a thought-form is connected very closely with the type of deva essence of which it is constructed, and (in connection with man on the mental plane), with the type of elemental which he can control, and send forth as the occupier, or vitalising agency of the thoughtform.
3. We are dealing with the specific purpose of a thoughtform.
4. This purpose is dependent upon two factors:a. The type of deva essence of which the thoughtform is constructedb. The type of elemental which the creator of the thoughtform can control and send forth as the occupier or vitalizing agency of the thoughtform.
5. It is important for man to recognize that when he creates a thoughtform, he is dealing with an elemental life which is the occupier and vitalizing agency of the thoughtform. If he is to be successful in the creative process, he must learn to control such an elemental.
Roughly speaking, a solar Logos works only through the greater Builders, the Manasaputras in Their [Page 564] various grades on the two higher planes of the solar system.
6. The term “Manasaputra” sometimes means Planetary Logoi.
7. Are the Planetary Logoi to be considered as Men or Devas or both?
8. The focus of the Planetary Logoi is primarily upon the second plane of the solar system.
9. There are also Three Logoi Who are focussed upon the logoic plane, but these are not necessarily the same as the Logoi of the synthesizing planets—i.e., They are probably not Planetary Logoi but inclusive of Planetary Logoi (cf. EP II 99)
10. For the moment, it seems best to conclude that the Manasaputras through Whom the Solar Logos works are not the Planetary Logoi (even though the term Divine Manasaputra has often meant “Planetary Logos”)
11. The “greater Builders” here referenced (and through which the Solar Logos works) are probably the two Creative Hierarchies associated with the first two systemic plane—namely the “Divine Flames” and the “Burning Sons of Desire”.
He works through Them, and sends Them forth upon the mission of constructing, and vitalising the systemic thought-form, with a specific purpose in view.
12. The Manasaputras, then, (as understood in this context) are the Devas Who construct the systemic thoughtform—i.e., the solar system.
13. Next, we discuss the Builders through which the Planetary Logoi work—showing that there is a distinction between the directing Logoi (Solar or Planetary) and the Builders through whom They work.
The planetary Logoi work primarily through the Builders of the next three planes (atma-buddhi-manas), who construct and control the work of the planetary schemes.
14. From this section of text, we can confirm that the Manasaputras through which the Solar Logos works are not the Planetary Logoi.
15. The Solar Logoi and Planetary Logoi are considered as “Men” working through D/devas.
16. The “Builders” (are They also “Greater Builders”) of the atmic, buddhic and manasic systemic planes are utilized by the Planetary Logoi. When compares with the Builders of the first two systemic planes, the Builders of the atmic, buddhic and manasic planes are lesser Builders, but they are greater when compared to Builders of still lower planes.
17. We must keep constantly in mind that the terms “greater” and “lesser” are entirely relative.
18. These Builders work upon those aspects of the schemes which are found on the atmic, buddhic and manasic planes. Still lesser builders, it seems, work on those aspects of the planetary schemes which are found on the lower eighteen sub-planes.
Men work through the builders of the lower mental planes, and the astral plane, for the human thought-forms are kama-manasic;
19. Probably much depends upon the kind of human being that is doing the building.
20. If the man is highly mentally polarized, the builders of the astral plane may play a smaller role in the construction of his thoughtforms.
21. We may gather that the majority of thoughtforms created by human beings require the participation of both the builders of the lower mental plane and of the astral plane.
the physical plane builders are swept automatically into action by the force of the currents, and energies set up in subtler matter, by the great Builders.
14. Is DK including the lower mental builders and the astral builders as “great Builders”? It would seem usual to do so. Usually, the term “Greater Builders” is reserved for triadal builders and, in one chart at least, the atmic builders are not included among the “Greater Builders”—only those who build upon the monadic plane.
15. The descriptions of the B/builders seem rather relative and caution will be needed if we are to understand the category of B/builder of which we may be speaking.
16. Let us tabulate what we have learned in the foregoing section of text:
Type of Man
Type of Builder through which the Man Works
Creative Hierarchies which May Be Involved in the Process
The Planes on which the Building Takes Place
Manasaputras—called here “Greater Builders”
Divine Flames and Burning Sons of Desire
Logoic and Monadic Planes of the Solar System
Builders Who are called neither “greater” nor “lesser” in this context. The Triple Flowers of the atmic plane are sometimes called “Lesser Builders” (EA 35)
The Triple Flowers, The Initiates (Lords of Sacrifice), and the Makara
Atmic, Buddhic and Manasic Planes
Solar Angels Who are Greater Builders when compared with the unconscious Lunar Builders
Some self-conscious devas who are directed by the Solar Lords
The Lunar Lords (Sacrificial Fires)
The Higher Mental Plane, the Astral Plane, the Systemic Etheric Plane
The Elemental Lives (The Baskets of Nourishment), and in general monadic and elemental essence
The Eighteen Lower Sub-planes
17. In the Tabulation above, the Solar Angels have been inserted as They, though devic, are definitely directing Builders of the human incarnational process.
18. The proposed Tabulation is relatively simple. The Tabulation below is far deeper in its implications.
The inserted tabulation opposite may make this clear.
THE BUILDING ENTITIES
Quality Entity Centre Personality Kingdom
1. Atma Logos Head (Brain) Grand Heavenly Man Seventh / Unity
2-3 Buddhi manas Planetary Logos Heart & Throat Heavenly Men Sixth and Fifth / Duality
4. Mental Man Solar Plexus Man Fourth / Triplicity
Base of the Spine
5. Astral Animal Generative Organs Third / Duality
6. Etheric Vegetable Spleen Second / Transitional
7. Dense Mineral None First / Unity
19. Listed above are the “Building Entities” found within the entirety of the solar system—itself an expression of the Will, Love and Intelligence of the Solar Logos.
20. In this tabulation the Solar Logos and Planetary Logoi are listed as “Building Entities”, but so is
21. Interestingly, we see that the fifth and sixth kingdoms are listed in the same row. The fifth kingdom is the "
Kingdom of Souls" and the sixth the " Kingdom of Planetary Lives". Both of these kingdoms are expressions of the Planetary Logos.
22. We note that there are two more types of “Building Entities” not listed. They are incorporated within the field of expression of the Planetary Logos, but so is “Man” (and Man is listed separately). These two Entities are Chain-Lords and Globe Lords.
23. We notice that building occurs below the level of the logoic and monadic planes. Cosmically, the material aspect begins with the atmic plane which is the first planet of Brahma—the God of form aspect.
24. Atma may be considered an aspect of the Universal Mind—the Mind of the Logos, and so it is fitting to find the Grand Heavenly Man building upon the atmic plane.
25. The Solar Logos always seems to work one sub-plane higher than the Planetary Logos. If atma is Universal Mind for the Solar Logos, then buddhic (transcendental mind) is for the Planetary Logos the correspondence to Universal Mind.
26. There are a number of correspondences in this Tabulation which are unusual or of interest or both.
a. We see that the Heavenly Men are called the personality aspect of the Planetary Logos. Most often the term “Heavenly Man” means Planetary Logos. In this case, we may be dealing with group entities upon triadal levels through which the Planetary Logos expresses. There are, perhaps, a number of varieties of Heavenly Men which are not the Planetary Logos, per se.
b. From another perspective, the personality aspect of the Planetary Logos would be found upon the eighteen lower cosmic sub-planes (but to include the cosmic planes seems too great a stretch for this particular Tabulation).
c. We also see that the Grand Heavenly Man is considered the personality aspect of the Solar Logos. Again, we could include the lower cosmic sub-planes as the personality of the Solar Logos and, hence, the proper sphere of expression of this characterization of the Grand Heavenly Man, but to do so might be to broaden the scope of this Tabulation in an unwarranted manner.
d. In what sort of B/being are the centers listed in this tabulation found? We may deduce that the Being is the Solar Logos.
e. In this Solar Logos, a Planetary Logos is as a “Head & Throat” center. The Planetary Logoi have mastered manas and are, therefore, “Divine Manasaputras”. The Planetary Logoi, generically, are also “Dragons of Wisdom”—great “Hearts of Love”.
f. Within a Solar Logos, the human kingdom is no longer a throat center as in a Planetary Logos, but occupies a lower center. In this case, it is the solar plexus center.
g. Interestingly, man is also considered a base of the spine center, which likens the human kingdom to the mineral kingdom. We have to ask: “In comparison with what type of Being, is humanity as a base of the spine center?”
h. The Earth-globe is characterized by the number four as is the human kingdom. The Earth-globe may be, from one perspective, a kind of base of the spine center of the Lord of the Earth-chain. The Earth-chain, from one perspective, may be a kind of base of the spine center for the Lord of the Earth-scheme. Humanity is a throat center for the Planetary Logos and, apparently, a solar plexus center for the Solar Logos. We are speaking of humanity throughout the solar system. It will not do to search the realms of the Cosmic Logoi and Super-Cosmic Logoi. They are too big and humanity too small. What about the star Sirius towards which humanity travels on the Fourth Path on the "Way of Higher Evolution". Could the base of the spine center with its number four be related to this Fourth Path?
i. We have to pause to reflect a problem: while kingdoms may serve as centers or chakras within a Solar Logos, planetary schemes are also centers or chakras within a Solar Logos. We always have to view the scope of the centers or chakras we are discussing. Just as there are major centers or chakras, there are also minor and minute centers. When thinking of man’s relationship to a Solar Logos, it is hard to see him as a major center or chakra. What we need to determine is the following:
i. What kind of centers or chakras in a Solar Logos do planetary schemes represent?
ii. What kind of centers of chakras in a Solar Logos do the Kingdoms of Nature represent?
iii. What kind of centers or chakras in a Solar Logos do planetary chains represent?
iv. And so for planetary globes?
v. As rays and planes are also spheres what kind of spheres of activity do they represent within a Solar Logos?
j. It is not surprising to see the animals (a Martian kingdom) related to the generative organs and the vegetable kingdom linked to the vitality processing spleen.
k. Man is the only kingdom characterized by “triplicity”. The fifth and sixth kingdoms (Souls and Planetary Lives) related to the Heavenly Men are characterized by “duality” as is the animal kingdom. Both of these kingdoms have a close relation to the third and sixth rays.
l. Is the triplicity of Man related to the “three minds” which must unite upon the mental plane? Mentally, man is triple—lower mind, Son of Mind and abstract mind.
m. The mineral kingdom and the seventh kingdom (related to the Solar Logos) are characterized by “unity”. Always in the developmental process, there is a primitive unity at the beginning, and a fully synthesized unity at the end.
27. We do not know the entire revelatory power of this chart. There are some unusual correspondences and one can only suspect that much is hinted and much, necessarily, overlooked.
If the table is carefully studied, it will be seen that the fivefold earlier enumeration concerns the most important kingdoms in nature,
28. These would be—a. The Kingdom of Solar Livesb. The Kingdom of Planetary Livesc. The
Kingdom of Soulsd. The Human Kingdome. The Animal Kingdom.
whilst the final two are peculiarly interesting in that the mineral kingdom can in no sense be considered a principle, but simply the densest point of concretion of the abstract,
29. The “abstract” (in this context) is the
Kingdom of Solar Lives, the seventh kingdom
and that the vegetable kingdom has a peculiar place in the economy of the system as the transmitter of the vital pranic fluid;
30. The principle of vitality is closely associated with vegetable life. This assignment, then, is not surprising.
31. As the etheric body is often excluded from association with the lunar elementals of man, can we associate the Venusian/Solar vegetable kingdom with the etheric body through which, primarily, vital pranic fluid is transmitted from the Sun? From the Tabulation, is seems we can.
32. The mental, astral and physical levels have their elementals; the corresponding kingdoms are the human, the animal and the mineral. The etheric body is excluded and the vegetable kingdom is excluded. Both have a more solar meaning.
the vegetable kingdom is definitely a bridge between the conscious and the unconscious.
33. This is interesting and is, perhaps, why (in the Tabulation) the vegetable kingdom is said to be “Transitional”. The transition is being made from “Unity” to “Duality”. The Unity in the case of the mineral kingdom is an unconscious Unity. Duality suggests consciousness, thus, the vegetable kingdom which is characterized by neither unity nor duality represents the transition from unconsciousness to consciousness.
Here I am using these words in their broadest and most general sense. Though it is known that the mineral kingdom has a consciousness of its own, yet sensation is more distinctly recognisable in the second kingdom, and the distinction between the consciousness of the mineral and that of the animal is so vast that their respective consciousnesses are basically unlike.
34. DK is telling us that “sensation” is related to that which we usually think of as consciousness.
35. We know little of these lower forms of consciousness. The mineral has nothing that we would call “sensation” as the vegetable kingdom has.
36. Since animal and mineral consciousness are so vastly separated, the vegetable kingdom serves as a “bridge” or transitional kingdom between them.
37. There is no place in cosmos where consciousness is not. DK is certainly aware of this, as He states. But the consciousness of the mineral kingdom is so different (and so primitive) compared the consciousness of the other kingdoms that it might as well be called unconsciousness.
Between these stands the vegetable kingdom, approximating more generally the animal consciousness than the mineral, and having a most esoteric relationship to the deva evolution.
38. Here again, we have some very important information:
a. The vegetable consciousness is closer to the animal consciousness than to the mineral.
b. In terms of the initiations, we could say that the second initiation is much closer in quality to the third than it is to the first (from which it is separated by many lives).
c. The first initiation can be called the ‘mineral initiation’; the second initiation, the ‘vegetable initiation’; the third initiation, the ‘animal initiation’. After the third initiation (through the defeat of Mars and the Moon) man is no longer to be considered an “animal” but has become truly human.
All these kingdoms of nature are "forms of thought";
39. We should pause to consider kingdoms of nature as thoughtforms. They are sheaths for the expression of the Logos.
40. Every discernible structure in the solar system (and more widely, in cosmos) is really a thoughtform.
all have body, vitality, quality and purpose, and all are sent out by a greater life than their own upon a specific mission; they are sent forth by those who are self-conscious and are a blend of mind, spirit and objective form.
41. DK is summarizing what He has said of thoughtforms and showing that the kingdoms of nature qualify to be considered as such for they possess the characteristic which typify every thoughtform.
42. What characterizes thoughtforms—we repeat:a. All have bodyb. All have vitalityc. All have qualityd. All have purposee. All have a mission determined by the greater life which sent them forth
43. Who sends forth thoughtforms?a. Those who are self-consciousb. Those who are a blend of mind, spirit and objective form. In this enumeration, “mind” stands for the second aspect.
44. Even if the members of some kingdoms are not self-conscious, the informing Life of a kingdom is so.
Only the self-conscious can create, and only they are capable of purpose, of co-ordination, of direction and control.
45. The self-conscious are ‘behind’ and ‘within’ every kingdom and a self-conscious Life expresses through every kingdom.
46. Creativity involves selection and combination. Only the self-conscious can remember and reflect so that material for a creation can be gathered, coordinated, directed and controlled for the sake of executing a particular purpose or plan.
Even though it may seem that much has been left unsaid, yet in due consideration of the above four points in connection with "purpose" in a thought-form, much can be worked out by the student himself.
47. We have considered “four points” in relation to the “specific purpose” of any thoughtform.
48. Let us repeat them for the sake of fixing them in mind:a. The Factor of Identity, entailing
iv. Objectiveb. The Factor of Time, entailing principally
i. The period of construction
ii. The period of utilization
iii. The period of dissolution
c. The Factor of Karma
d. The Factor of the Lesser Builders
49. Many hints have been given and much of further value can be revealed if students care to go more deeply into the matter.
In extending these ideas to a solar Logos, many questions of interest arise which are profitable only in so far as they expand the concept, and widen the horizon of the Thinker.
50. These two factors—the expansion of the concept and the widening of the horizon—have their place and value. The matters addressed by such questions as might arise are not really practical but they are potentially illuminative.
51. For instance, when considering the Solar Logos as a thoughtform:
a. Who, really, is our Solar Logos? What is His source, mission, method and objective?
b. How do the three principal time periods in the life of any ‘Thoughtform-E/entity’ play out in the thoughtform through which the Solar Logos expresses? What was the period of construction of the thoughtform through which He expresses? What was and is the period during which the thoughtform through which He expresses is utilized? What will be the period of obscuration of the thoughtform through which He expresses?
c. What is the karma of our Solar Logos and with respect to which E/entities is this karma being worked out?
d. Who are the “Lesser Builders” who have participated in the construction of the thoughtform through which He expresses?
52. The questions above apply to the thoughtform through which the Solar Logos expresses—i.e., His solar system and also His entire Personality which transcends the solar system).
53. One could apply the same kinds of questions to the great variety of thoughtforms which the Solar Logos creates.
54. The same line of analysis pursued in relation to the Solar Logos can be applied to a Planetary Logos or to any other self-conscious creator. In all such analyses, the Law of Analogy will be found indispensable.
The logoic purpose is not yet comprehensible to man; it does not profit him to meditate thereon,
55. Something about the second ray nature of the Logos has been given and His function as a heart center within a Cosmic Logos. From this information, some vague, but, hopefully, not misdirected, thought about His Purpose may be inferred though certainly not known.
yet in the formulation of ideas, and their apprehension by thinkers may come the gradual dawning of a day of recognition, and a subsequent co-operation with that divine purpose.
56. DK holds out to the enquiring individual or group the possibility of learning something (eventually) that will make it possible to cooperate with the Purpose of the Solar Logos.
57. Right now, we have enough on our hands to intuit the purpose of the Ashram which we may be approaching and of the Master at its center. The purpose of the Chohans is dark to us as are the purposes of the Great Leaders of Hierarchy. The “The unknown, unseen and unheard purpose of Sanat Kumara” (R&I 241) is darker still and His purpose is not the entirety of the Purpose of our Planetary Logos.
58. So it is obvious that we have far to go before the Purpose of the Solar Logos can mean anything real to us.
59. Yet, if we cultivate Love-Wisdom we will, at least, be aligned with that Unknown Purpose.
Let us, therefore, formulate some of these questions, leaving the future to reveal the answer:
1. What may be the purpose of the present incarnation of the solar Logos?
60. We will not be able to answer these questions but can, perhaps, offer some hints concerning the direction in which the answer should be sought.
61. The present incarnation of the Solar Logos is His fifth. This is the fifth mahamanvantara from one angle of vision. At this time the Solar Logos functions as a heart center in a Cosmic Logos. He is not yet mentally polarized from the cosmic perspective. He is a Logos of the fourth order and is considered to be astral-buddhic in nature. His goal is the third cosmic initiation and the fourth and perhaps the fifth cosmic initiations are to be completed in this present mahamanvantara.
62. Our Solar Logos is not yet a “sacred” Logos. By this we understand that He is still in the quaternary of the Cosmic Logos of which He forms a part. As is the case for Planetary Logoi, perhaps a “sacred” Solar Logos is one Who has taken a fifth cosmic initiation.
63. He is a “God of Love” and a “consuming Fire”.
64. Just as both man and the Planetary Logos of the Earth have serious redemptive tasks which they are undertaking, so does our Solar Logos. We could say that one of His major tasks is ‘redemption through the energy of Love’.
65. While in the process of achieving this goal, He is attempting to become increasingly (in relative achievement, if not in quality) like the Logos of Sirius, just as the Planetary Logos of our Earth-scheme is attempting to become increasingly (in relative achievement, if not in quality) like the Logos of the Venus-scheme.
66. For our Solar Logos this is the solar system in which soul-infusion is to be achieved and in which the full nature of His second ray soul is to be released.
67. From a cosmic perspective, presumably, this will improve the up-ward tending energy of the cosmic logoic solar plexus center of which He is, hypothetically, an aspect.
2. What is the purpose which may perhaps be working out in our own planetary scheme and what is the basic plan of our planetary Logos?
68. Again, we cannot answer this, but we can gather some thoughts which will point in the direction of a solution.
69. Our Planetary Logos is passing through a redemptive fourth initiation on the chain level. On the scheme level (cosmically) He is not yet an initiate of the second degree, and so must achieve dispassion and detachment (cosmically considered).
70. He is retarded in His development because of the Moon-chain debacle and is also a Logos in whose scheme certain unresolved issues from the previous solar system are being worked out.
71. He is to become a great station of light in the solar system. This accords well with His second ray soul which may be more along the line of light than of love—i.e., it may be more on the wisdom aspect of the second ray than on the love aspect (but this cannot be ascertained by the human mind)..
72. He appears to be a Logos through Whom great solar systemic experiments are under way. Within the Earth-scheme new forms are being prepared—forms which will allow for the redemption of Moon-chain and first solar system patterns, and the evolution of these forms into patterns which accord with the purposes of the second solar system.
73. Because our Planetary Logos represents a solar systemic base of the spine center (or one day will, in completeness) a great power is growing throughout His vehicle of expression. In His future expression He will become not only a great station of light but of power as well. This will occur, probably, in the next solar system, when the power of His monadic ray (the first ray) will be released.
74. If He is to represent the base of the spine center of the Solar Logos, He will become a strong transmitter of solar logoic kundalini and will be a sustaining and purifying source for other Planetary Logoi in the solar systems of our Solar Logos (this solar system and the one ahead).
75. The main work being done throughout the planetary scheme of the Earth is redemption. One aspect of His purpose is to assist the Solar Logos to recover from the effects of the previous solar system. The material tendencies there established are, apparently, not entirely redeemed.
3. Wherein does it differ from other planetary schemes?
76. We have been told that there is more suffering and agony experienced in our Earth-scheme than in any other planetary scheme in our solar system. Conditions on Mars and Saturn have some similarities but such conditions are not as severe as those in the Earth-scheme.
77. Our planet also seems to have closer ties to the ‘failures’ (if we can call them that) of the previous solar system. They were human beings who individualized in that previous solar system, but who did not complete their spiritual development within that system. Saturn is strongly linked to that system but is not so much the ‘victim’ of its processes as is the Planetary Logos of the Earth.
4. What is the purpose lying back of the relation existing between our Earth and Venus?
78. This purpose, again, appears to be redemptive. These two, like ‘twin sisters’, participate in dualistic systemic processes.
79. One is reminded of the manner in which the energy of the lower point in the human solar plexus center is raised to the higher point in that center. Earth would represent the lower point and Venus the higher point.
80. One is also reminded of the relationship between the mental unit in the human energy system and the manasic permanent atom. If the Solar Logos has a mental unit (and we cannot be sure of this), then Earth would represent this unit and Venus the manasic permanent atom.
81. We could say that as Earth is to the personality and to the previous solar system, so Venus is to the soul and to the present solar system.
82. Through the agency of Venus, the redemptive processes being carried forth on Earth (and in relation to the Moon-chain and the previous solar system) are greatly facilitated.
83. The two of them together are helping, it would seem, the Solar Logos achieve victory on the cosmic astral plane. A very difficult ‘cosmic-emotional’ situation is being worked out through their interplay. The constellation Gemini (for which both Venus and Earth are rulers at different levels) participates in this attempt to achieve victory.
84. When thinking of purpose, there are shorter term purposes and those which are longer term. Anything we might say cannot relate to the longer term purposes which would describe the role of our Solar Logos and His Planetary Logoi in the life and destiny of the Cosmic Logos to which our Solar Logos belongs, and of the still greater One About Whom Naught May Be Said.
5. Is the purpose of the animal kingdom, as a whole, in any way to be ascertained?
85. The tabulation on TCF, 565, shows the animal kingdom in relation to the generative organs of the Solar Logos.
86. This question applies to the animal kingdom as it may be found throughout the solar system. It is characterized by the principle of locomotion leading through increasing intelligence to self-conscious intelligence.
87. Wherever there is locomotion there is interplay (under Mercury). There is something here about the creation of suitable forms for the expression of second solar system purposes. The animal kingdom (under Mars) is, on the whole, aggressive and competitive. These approaches may contribute to the building of forms most suitable for the expression of higher purposes. When we speak of the “survival of the fittest” we have to ask what larger purpose it serves.
88. Even in the animal kingdom, however, social development (under Venus) can be witnessed and also contributes greatly to the survival of species.
89. The animal kingdom represents the acme of creative labor of the Lunar Lords and forms the basis or foundation for the development of solar consciousness—the first instance of which is the human (as distinct from the animal consciousness).
6. What is the purpose back of the present root-race evolution? Can we realise it?
90. In this case we are not speaking of a specific root race, but of root race evolution in general.
91. Let us apply this question to man as he is found on the Earth-globe and Earth-chain.
92. There is an archetype (held in the mind of the Planetary Logos) of what humanity should become. As all in nature proceeds gradually, man cannot become that which he is intended to be except “in the fulness of time”.
93. Through the root races, the human family grows through the gradual incorporation and expression of progressive divine qualities—all of which form an integral part in the ‘final planetary product’—Ideal Man.
94. The principal divine quality being developed in the fifth root race is that of manas. Through Aryan root race processes, Man is being developed as an intelligent cooperator in the Plans of the Planetary Logos.
95. In short, the appearance and expression and, then, disappearance of the root races, lead to the actualization of the divine archetype for the fourth kingdom.
96. Naturally, an ideal humanity will contribute to both planetary and solar systemic development.
97. For instance, the development of a more intelligent, loving humanity can be seen as part of the process of helping our Planetary Logos achieve a necessary cosmic dispassion and eventual cosmic mental polarisation followed by a full expression of His second ray soul.
7. What is the purpose behind the differing national forms?
98. Presumably, through nations ruled by differing rays and astrological qualities, the ray qualities and astrological qualities which must be absorbed and expressed by large groups of human beings will be facilitated.
99. Nations are as great ‘schools’ which assist their constituent human beings to be trained in certain modes of consciousness and forms of behavior. Via an ideal national process, this training will proceed far more rapidly than if human beings were trained only individually.
100. The national forms also contribute the development of planetary qualities needed in the expression of the Planetary Logos, the pertinent Chain-Lord or pertinent Globe-Lord at any particular phase of development.
101. The Planetary Logos, too, is working on different qualities during different phases of development and the national forms are evidence (on a much larger scale than the individual) of qualities which must emerge in the planetary life.
102. As well, every precessional Age is intended to offer new avenues of development for the entire planet. The Aquarian energy, for instance, will now be widely available on the planet and will be expressed through all planetary kingdoms. This greater energy must be expressed through all the rays and astrological factors which otherwise qualify humanity. The national forms (marshaling large groups of human beings under a few specific qualities) facilitate the manner in which the precessional energy can merge with the ray and astrological qualities which usually condition the human race.
103. In other words, nations and national forms are training grounds for the expeditious absorption and expression of certain qualities which the human race must absorb and express.
Let us next bring the whole idea down to a more practical basis, and formulate questions along the following lines:
104. These questions will have to be answered, individually, by each student. Some of the questions require a rather technical understanding of occultism, so pondering will be necessary.
1. In what type of matter do I usually formulate thoughts?
105. Here the three major areas of the human mind must be considered—the concrete mind, the “Son of Mind” (i.e., the causal body located on the third and second sub-planes of the mental plane), and the abstract mind (focussing through the manasic permanent atom).
106. The question concerns the sub-planes of the mental plane, each with its own particular keynote, color and rate of vibration.
107. For this reason (given our present knowledge) the question can only be answered in a general sense.
2. What is the psychic quality of my thought-forms?
108. This is a question concerning, on the one hand, kama-manas. Are my thoughts free from the adhesion of astral energies or are they very much a mixture of
kama and manas?
109. From another perspective, we are asking whether the formulated thoughts carry the quality of the true psyche or soul. Along this line, we are asking to what extent the ray energy of the psyche or soul characterizes the quality of formulated thought.
3. With what specific purpose do I use mental matter?
110. Here we are speaking of motive, vision and ultimately of purpose. The strength and quality of our spiritual alignment will be up for consideration.
111. If we study our speech patterns we will learn something of our use of mental matter.
112. Do our thoughtform-making tendencies have a specific goal or are they casual and desultory? Why do I think as I do? What am I building or destroying through my typical use of thought?
4. Do I work in mental matter consciously or unconsciously?
113. This will require close observation. One perceptive esoteric wag has wisely said that there is a great difference between thinking and ‘thoughting’. To what extent are we involved in an unconscious ‘thoughting’ process? To what extent are past patterns of thinking replaying themselves in our consciousness without any attention from the Indweller? To what extent is my thinking process under my intelligent, vigilant supervision?
5. Do I vitalise my thought-forms with a high or a low order of entity?
114. Much will depend upon the purity of my thought and this will much depend upon the motive for which I engage in thinking.
115. Also, if I exert greater care in the building or selection of my thoughts, the quality of the entity by whom they are vitalized will be higher.
116. To this end, we must attempt to formulate thoughts and words so that they express exactly what we want to say. We must choose our words with care and not only our words, but our thoughts. This careful, measured approach will help us avoid the involvement of entities of a low order in our thought and speech processes.
6. Do I study the laws of construction?
117. These laws entail the study of white magic.
118. Also the study of syntax will emerge as important. Do I attempt to create beauty in the formulation of my thoughts and words? Do I observe due proportion? Do I select ‘thought materials’ which fit together well, which harmonize, or do I create thought structures full of unintentional incongruities.
119. We are dealing here with the selection of ‘thought materials’ and the manner in which they are combined and stabilized.
120. Concentration, meditation and contemplation play their parts in the recognition and following of these laws.
7. Do I realise the power of the will to vitalise?
121. Here a study of Roberto Assagioli’s Act of Will will be of considerable value.
122. Once thought is rightly constructed, the phase of ‘thought empowerment’ must be addressed. The act of affirming the constructed thought brings in the thought-vitalising will.
123. A given thought is affirmed and then introduced into various mental and imagined contexts so that its value and potential applications may be more fully understood. We can see that the imagination will be useful in the act of vitalizing thoughts through the power of the will.
124. Each must experiment on his own to determine the best manner of vitalizing a thought through the power of will. It will be discovered, I think, that repetition is a great power. Each repetition is like the hammer-blow of Vulcan, a planet of vitalizing will and power.
8. Do I destroy thought-forms when they have accomplished their purpose by a conscious act of the will?
125. There may be technical occult means of bringing about this destruction, but one of the best is simply the ‘withdrawal of attention’. If energy follows thought, then the removal of thought or attention cuts the flow of energy and brings devitalization and death.
126. The ‘feeding power of the attention’ must be wisely controlled. Sometimes the attempt to counter an undesirable thought gives it new energy and new life.
127. As for the occult means of de-aggregating or un-bonding the constituents of a thought which has served its purpose—such means will have to be learned (or re-learned) under the instruction of an advanced magician or Master.
9. Do I make forms which bring karmic effects, or do I build those which go to the good of the group?
128. Even ‘good thoughts’ can have a karmic effect. Usually when the word “karma” is used in contexts such as these, “evil karma” is meant.
129. In order to accomplish the building of thoughts which go to the good of the group, an energized heart center will have to be wedded to the throat center. Love and mind must unite before the process of thought-creation is entered.
130. DK has pointed out that individuals often respect the welfare of other individuals, but do they respect the welfare of other groups or of the groups of which they may be a part? This is a harder task and, for many, not part of their awareness.
131. We have to watch our thought and speech closely. We are creating all the time (consciously or unconsciously), and we are responsible for our creations.
Many such thoughts will arise, and in the study of thought man learns the laws of being.
132. It is suggested that we can move from the study of the third aspect to the realization of the first aspect.
133. It is said that “Being descends to manifest.” This is precisely the process under discussion. Ultimately, we have to assure ourselves that the thoughts we create and the words we speak embody the energy of love and reveal the unity of being.