Fellowship of Cosmic Fire
Commentary Semester IV Section XII
TCF 453 – 465 : S4S12
19 March –
(Most of the Tibetan’s text is put in font 16, to provide better legibility when projected during classes. Footnotes and references from other AAB Books and from other pages of TCF are put in font 14. Commentary appears in font 12. Underlining, Bolding and Highlighting by MDR)
It is suggested that this Commentary be read with the TCF book handy, for the sake of continuity. As analysis of the text is pursued, many paragraphs are divided, and the compact presentation in the book, itself, will convey the overall meaning of the paragraph.
1. We continue with our consideration of the incoming seventh ray and its effect on the mind in the three evolutions.
I do not purpose to say much anent human development as much has been already hinted at in the preceding pages, and a hint suffices for the true student,
2. The true student catches the ‘scent’ of a possibility and follows that scent unaided. As students, we are not simply repositories of that which has been stated in the Teaching. We use what we receive as ‘directional impulses’, i.e., “hints”, to venture into fields of knowledge which have not yet been presented.
but it may be possible to state in broad outline the coming developments and to tabulate the results to be expected. Suggestions only are possible.
3. DK carefully reiterates His contention that that which He presents to us is merely in outline form.
4. We are speaking of developments or unfoldments which may be expected within humanity, coincident with the emergence into prominence of the seventh ray.
Development of etheric vision universally. This will be due to two causes:
5. This is to be expected due to the vitalization of the ethers and the general sensitization of the eye.
First, the scientific recognition of the existence of the etheric levels, thereby freeing people from the onus of adverse public opinion, and enabling them to reveal what they have individually long realised.
6. This development is in process; people discuss this ‘field of vision’ openly.
Etheric vision is comparatively common even now. But comment concerning it is rare, owing to the fear of criticism.
7. Much has changed in the last eighty years. The matter is discussed widely and publicly. The concept of the aura and its potential visibility has permeated the public consciousness.
8. The fear of criticism, however, still persists. A true disciple is neither the source of criticism nor is he afraid to face it.
Secondly, the increased activity of the devas of the ethers, which throws the matter of the etheric levels into more active vibration, with consequent reflex action on the eye of man.
9. We have here a description of the activation of the ethers ‘from within’. The etheric field is more active, more vibrant and its impact upon the human perceptual mechanism more forceful.
10. There is a direct connection between the ethers and the eye. The structural/functional nature of the etheric-physical eye is wholly adequate to perceive the factual nature of the ethers.
Increased mental activity and the spread of education (of the concrete mental kind) everywhere.
11. The sign Aquarius is strongly conditioned by the fifth ray of mind and closely related, as well, to the third (to which the seventh ray of the Age is also closely related).
12. Aquarius is an air sign. The other two air signs will increase in strength with the growth of the Aquarian influence. Air signs are closely related to mentality and represent the three aspects of mind:
1. Gemini, the Twins Mind Cause of duality.
2. Libra, the Balances Supermind Cause of synthesis.
3. Aquarius, the Water- Carrier Universal Mind Soul. (EA 242)
This will result in:
Increased competition between units and between groups.
13. The growth of mind and the growth of egoism are, at first, coincident. The concrete mind is, initially, a separative factor emphasizing the differences between people. The Leo factor (related to egoism and individualism) is also closely related (through the fifth ray) to the strengthening of the individualistic mind.
14. Personalities compete; souls cooperate.
The organization of business on lines hitherto undreamt of.
15. This development emerges with the increasing strength of the seventh ray. Already, trans-national business patterns are the norm. The ubiquitous Internet has contributed significantly to the transformation of business models.
The foundation of groups and aggregations of groups whose sole purpose will be to synthesise all the lines of human endeavour, and thus bring about unification of effort, and economy of force in the scientific, business, philosophic, educational, and religious worlds.
16. Such groups are presently conceived but are not yet beneficently active. There are groups, however, tending in this direction.
17. We must realize that Master R. (upon the seventh and third rays) is an expert at this type of synthesis.
18. We notice how the factor of synthesis accords well with the Law of Economy. The seventh ray will bring increasing efficiency in all human undertakings.
The foundation of schools of medicine along new lines, whose purpose will be to study the etheric body, its relation to the dense physical body, and its function [Page 454] as the receiver, storer, and transmitter of the vital fluids of the system.
19. The development of etheric medicine is already incipient among progressive physicians and health practitioners.
20. This development is natural with the emergence of the seventh ray; the seventh ray is directly correlated with the etheric body as is the sign Aquarius, now emerging into increasing prominence.
21. We remind ourselves of three of the major functions of the etheric body in relation to the vital fluids of the system:
a. To receive
b. To store
c. To transmit
The foundation of the new church, which will be no longer along devotional and idealistic lines but which will be an outgrowth of the old idealism, demonstrating through mental forms.
22. The sixth ray approach to religion will be outgrown, but idealism will not be entirely abrogated but, rather, expressed through mental forms. Aquarius, we must remember, is, in its own right, a sign of great idealism.
23. It must be realize how very much the seventh ray is, among other things, a mental ray. We can see this in its relation to the third ray of intellect, for Master R., with a number of His initiates, transferred onto the third ray.
When, for instance, the Master R. assumed the task of Mahachohan or Lord of Civilisation, His Ashram was shifted from the seventh Ray of Ceremonial Order to the third Ray of Active Intelligence; the majority of those who have taken the second and the third initiations were transferred with Him under what might be called a "special dispensation"; the rest of the members of His Ashram remained for tuition and training in service under that Master Who took His place as the central point of the seventh ray Ashram. (DINA II 383)
24. As well, the placement of the seventh ray as the fifth ray of Brahman emphasizes its relation to mentality.
25. The seventh ray, really, is a synthetic ray, related significantly to all three major rays:
a. Like the first ray it is strong and firm in the execution of will.
b. Like the second ray it promotes linking and coherence.
c. Like the third ray it excels in the art and science of manifestation. This requires the intelligent coordination of forces.
It will have for its basis the scientific recognition of the unseen world and its due appreciation and apprehension by means of accurate scientific ceremonial.
26. We note that we are not dealing only with the recognition of the unseen worlds but with the “scientific recognition” of those worlds.
27. We see again the blending of the fifth and seventh rays, for the ceremonial in which the seventh ray excels will be executed with scientific accuracy.
28. The words are arresting and point the way to the future: “accurate scientific ceremonial”.
29. Let us envision the eventual nature of the New World Religion according to Master DK’s prophesies.
This ceremonial of the universal church—being founded on the mental unity of all peoples—will not be ceremonial as it is now understood, as it will be the guarded, guided, scientific utilisation of sound and color to bring about certain desired ends, such as
30. We will have a “universal church”, meaning that it will apply to all human beings. It will also reflect the universality of the sign Aquarius (in which sign it will be founded).
31. The unity of all peoples will be appreciated mentally (Venus, Mercury) and not merely felt. Today, many people feel their unitive relations with other, but do not understand the factual nature of the unity they feel.
32. We can see that initiates and, perhaps, even Masters will be involved in the preparation and presentation of such scientific ceremonies, as the ceremonies will be both “guarded and guided”.
33. Nothing will be left to chance in the utilization of those “spiritual numerals”, sound and color.
34. We can see how the fourth ray (also a linking ray and directly related to the appreciation and utilization of sound and color) will play into the performance of such ceremonies.
35. The fifth ray approach will also be indispensable as those who prepare and perform these ceremonies will have to know exactly what they are doing.
36. We can understand that the ‘religion’ practiced in the “universal church” will be an approach combining buddhi and manas, and will not be an astral religion (touched in its best moments by buddhi).
· The aligning of the Ego,
37. Properly executed ceremonial work has this often unrealized potential.
38. Correct alignment depends upon the utilization of proper frequencies and the invocation of the Ego through sounds and colors attuned to its quality. We all know that certain vibrations invoke the higher Ego and others definitely militate against contact with its influence.
· The influencing of groups,
39. Group energies are marshaled in properly executed ceremonial work and these energies can be transmitted to other groups.
40. A group resonance created can be entrained, and other groups can be induced to fall into new and useful rhythms.
41. The groups practicing ‘religious ceremonial’ will, themselves be powerfully influenced as the higher energies pour into the group aura. Those who have participated in ritual work (somewhat along the lines suggested) know this influence to be both factual and powerful.
· The making of contact with the Occult Hierarchy,
42. Today this is done largely through meditation, but if to meditation, scientific ceremonial procedures are added, the vehicular interference which so often prevents direct contact can be negated.
43. Through ceremonial work, the necessary vacuum to evoke higher energies can be created.
44. Scientific ceremonial work is much based upon the utilization of admissible frequencies and the expulsion of that which is not formally appropriate. It is a process which enhances resonance between the invocative group and the higher group being invoked—in this case, the Spiritual Hierarchy.
· The co-operation with the devas in order to further the constructive ends of evolution,
45. The devas respond immediately to sound and color. The correct pitch and key will be musically applied to invoke and sustain cooperation with certain groups of devas. The correct shade and hue of color will be similarly utilized.
46. Clearly, scientific knowledge of the nature of particular kinds of devas will be indispensable.
47. Occult ceremonial will be a method through which the Builders—deva and human—can successfully work.
· and many other objects which will grow out of the scientific comprehension of the constitution of man, the nature of vibration or radioactivity, and the demonstrated reality of the hitherto metaphysical hypothesis and religious dogma of the unseen world of thought and of spiritual existence.
48. The beneficent results will arise because of the following:
a. Scientific comprehension of the constitution of man
b. Understanding of the nature of vibration
c. Understanding of the nature of radioactivity
d. The demonstration of the reality of the unseen worlds.
49. We can see that the seven rays will be responsible for the ‘lifting of the veil’ which, presently, prevents general acknowledgement of that which the occultist considers as real. Humanity’s attention has been confined mostly to the sphere of the lowest senses. Human consciousness has lived in a circumscribed prison of limited perception. All this is soon destined to change and with this change will come entirely new methods of relating to the dense physical plane and to what we customarily call ‘normal living’.
50. So far the main results of the incoming seventh ray have been listed as:
a. Development of etheric vision universally
b. Increased mental activity
51. These categories have been sub-divided and further results related to each have been examined.
52. The third major result relates to the way in which the Path may be approached. “Increased facility in approaching the Path”.
Increased facility in approaching the Path. This will be based on the fact that so many of the then existent humanity will have personal knowledge of the ruling powers and forces,
53. Under the influence of the seventh ray, the Spiritual Hierarchy of our planet will be a personally experienced reality to many. The Spiritual Hierarchy and the initiates and devas associated with Them are “the ruling powers and forces”.
54. We all know the seventh ray is a ray of rules and (as a reflection of the first ray) is a ray of power as well.
55. We are speaking of the cycle in which the seventh ray is expressing during the Aquarian Age.
will perhaps be on the Probationary Path, or will be initiates of the first degree.
56. This is the spiritual status that may be expected for many during the coming Age.
57. On the basis of references alone, it is difficult to determine whether the Probationary Path begins with the first initiation or somewhat precedes it. We might say that an early phase of the Path of Probation must necessarily precede the first initiation but that that Path begins in earnest with the first degree, at which time one becomes a probationary disciple. A true disciple is an accepted disciple (a stage usually entered a number of lives after the first degree has been taken).
Thus the present scepticism will become non-existent.
58. It is the seventh ray, influencing many towards materialism, which can also be instrumental in its destruction.
The dangers then will be along other lines—those incident to the very influence of this ray itself:
59. Always there will be dangers. Dangers present themselves in the form of forces which are uncontrolled and which therefore menace valued structures and relationships.
the dangers of crystallisation into form so that the true spiritual devotee may become rare, and the scientific aspirant will take his place.
60. To be a “spiritual devotee” is of value, but may necessitate the presence of the sixth ray (which will become increasingly rare)—though not necessarily in its influence upon personalities.
61. The seventh ray may be called the ‘Ray of Crystallization’. Not only is Uranian energy involved in seventh ray processes, but Saturnian energy (ruling the entire cosmic physical plane—the seventh cosmic plane—and the systemic physical plane—again the seventh, and Vulcanian energy associated with the mineral kingdom—a kingdom which, by one method of counting, is the seventh.)
62. There is nothing wrong about the development of the scientific aspirant unless the energies of love and rightful reverence become excessively suppressed, thus creating an imbalance.
63. The Tibetan has attempted to assure that the cultivation of white magic will proceed in such a manner as to balance the inevitable growth of magic quite devoid of ‘heart’. The danger involved in this kind of magic (and it almost inevitably will be practiced given the nature and general point of development of the incoming seventh ray souls) must be obvious.
The true occultist is a scientist and a devotee, and where these two are not merged, we have the mystic and the man in danger of black magic, being governed by the intellect and not by selflessness;
64. This is the danger of dichotomization. The mystic is unbalanced in his approach to divinity, but so is the strictly intellectual aspirant.
65. As we well know, aspirants can deviate from the “Good Path” and veer off in the direction of black magic if heart development does not wean them from selfishness.
66. The intellect alone (supporting, as it does, egoism) tends to be the enemy of selflessness.
67. So, we see that a balance will be much needed in coming centuries. May we expect that the relative prominence of the air sign Libra will assist in developing the necessary balance?
there are dangers incident also upon contact with the deva evolution and the knowledge of the powers and forces made available through their agency.
68. Contact with the devas may be achieved, but will the contact be wisely handled? Will men direct the devic forces they can control into lines of activity sanctioned by the Divine Plan? Will they, perhaps, fall under the sway of stronger devas which they cannot control? Not all devas are spiritually oriented.
69. There will be many temptations and not a few tragedies arising from premature or insufficiently regulated interplay with the deva kingdom.
The coming into incarnation of numbers of old magicians and occultists, and the rapid growth therefore of recognised psychic powers among the people.
70. This is the fourth major result which relates to human development as it is inspired by the strengthening presence of the seventh ray.
71. These incoming magicians and occultists are possessed of psychic powers long ago developed.
72. Already the recognition of psychic powers is growing amongst the masses and are certainly recognized as real amongst the progressive intelligentsia.
73. We must remind ourselves that psychism is not equivalent to spirituality.
This psychism, being tinged with mentality and not being of a purely astral quality, will be even more dangerous than in Atlantean days, for back of it will be some degree of will, conscious purpose, and intellectual apprehension,
74. We are discussing the appearance of a ‘new’ kind of psychism—not just the old, astrally impulsed psychism common in Atlantean days.
75. DK tells us that this new psychism will be “tinged with mentality”. The mind nature is resonant with the will nature. From one perspective, mind is will.
76. Will, consciousness purpose and intellect will be involved in the presentation of this more advanced form of psychism. This is no guarantee that it will be selflessly expressed. In fact, quite the opposite is a strong possibility.
77. We can see that the seventh ray must be balanced by the second. These two rays have several points of cooperation and so their constructive interplay may be anticipated—at least among the wise.
and unless this is paralleled by the growth of spiritual realisation, and by the steady grip of the Ego upon the lower personality, a period of real danger may ensue.
78. We are speaking of a period of real danger which may ensue during the Aquarian Age, a period about which speculation may be both practical and profitable.
79. Psychism, again, is not “spiritual realization”. The presence of psychic abilities is no guarantee that the Ego is gripping the lower personality.
80. To distinguish psychism from spirituality is a most necessary step and one hardly taken by many of those interested in the unseen worlds.
81. True spirituality pertains to the formless (arupa) levels of the cosmic physical plane; psychism, as usually encountered, does not.
Hence the need of pointing out and of realising the menace, so that the truth of the inner life and the need of serving the race as an essential to advancement may be proclaimed far and wide.
82. DK is interested in the propagation of these thoughts—
a. Thoughts concerning the reality of the truly inner life, which is not the psychic life
b. Thoughts concerning the necessity for service. Those possessed of apparently unusual powers are not necessarily oriented towards service.
c. The psychic magician needs to understand that there is no true spiritual advancement without service to humanity.
Paralleling the incoming of this large band of seventh Ray magicians (some linked to the Brotherhood and some to the purely manasic groups)
83. We hear of two kinds of magicians coming into incarnation:
a. Those linked to the Brotherhood will be unselfish in expression
b. The purely manasic groups (which, so it seems) carry the taint of selfishness. There is nothing wrong with manas, but if the groups concerned are purely manasic, there is the suggestion of imbalance and an insufficient development of the love nature.
is the proposed advent of certain members of the Hierarchy (initiates below the fourth Initiation)
84. We note that if one is a third degree initiate, one is considered to be a member of the Hierarchy. Other lesser initiates may also be included as “members of the Hierarchy”.
and of certain disciples and probationers,
85. These would be largely initiates of the first two degrees
all on this Ray and all true psychics,
86. These affiliates of the Lodge (initiates, disciples and probationers) are all upon the seventh ray and are all true psychics.
87. Do we understand why the seventh ray should be associated with psychism; usually, the sixth ray is thus associated, because the sixth ray rules the solar plexus which gives access to the astral plane in relation to which the majority of psychic experiences occur.
88. Yet, the seventh ray is a major linking ray, encouraging inter-planar exchange—experiencing the phenomena common to certain planes (for instance, the astral or mental) while focussed in consciousness upon the physical.
who hope through their endeavours to offset the vibrations, and ward off the menace incident to the advent of the other group.
89. We have something like a ‘battle of the magicians’ shaping up.
90. When DK uses a word like “menace”, He is not speaking lightly. A purely manasic orientation is a threat.
of this and the preparing of the way for them in the different countries,
specially in Europe and North
91. This is as we would expect. Master R (though now focussed through His third ray monadic nature) has been for centuries a prominent seventh ray soul, and Master H. is focussed upon the fifth ray. Again we find these two rays working together.
92. These two Masters will be instrumental in promoting the European Branch of the One Fundamental School of Occultism in Shamballa.
Master R. or Rakoczi, is the Hungarian Master, living at this time in
The Master R.— and one of the English Masters are concerning Themselves with the gradual founding of the fourth branch of the school, with the assistance of the Master Hilarion. Ponder on these imparted facts, for the significance is of profound importance. (LOM 305)
read in an earlier Commentary of a “Regent of a Globe”. We can compare the idea
with the fact that Master R. is the Regent of Europe and
Master R. now ‘lives’ in
He works through various organisations and movements including Masonry.
95. The Masonic Movement is ruled by the first, seventh and fourth rays.
He is one of the Masters who take pupils.
96. This may have been somewhat modified since Master R. became Mahachohan, which may not yet have been the case when A Treatise of Cosmic Fire was written.
97. Further, we have been told that the Chohans are not, at this time, working through dictation (so serious is the world situation).
98. Yet, for all that, the statement stands.
The Master H. or Hilarion, is a Cretan Master, is interested in the Spiritualistic Movement and is responsible for Light on the Path.
99. The quality of Light on the Path is very militant and not much of the quality of the fifth ray is to be felt.
100. Could this be due to the quality of the transmitter—Mabel Collins?
101. Perhaps this little treatise carries much of the first ray—the hypothesized monadic ray of Master H.
102. The following is the fifth major result of the incoming of the seventh ray.
A group of scientists will come into incarnation on the [Page 456] physical plane during the next seventy-five years who will be the medium for the revelation of the next three truths concerning electrical phenomena.
103. We are in a position to see whether some of these prophesies have been fulfilled.
A formula of truth concerning this aspect of manifestation
104. The electrical aspect…
105. The formula, we will learn, was partial when compared with what remains to be revealed.
was prepared by initiates on the fifth Ray at the close of the last century,
106. We note that these scientists are called “initiates”. It would seem that Maxell and Rutherford were among them, and, perhaps, Marie Curie and Roentgen. One would be tempted to include Einstein, whose major work began during the very first part of the twentieth century.
107. We are told, however, that Marie Curie (and perhaps Pierre) was upon the seventh ray and it difficult to avoid the conclusion that Einstein was deeply upon the third. The fifth ray, however, had a profound influence upon both of them.
being part of the usual attempt of the Hierarchy to promote evolutionary development at the close of every cycle of one hundred years.
108. We have just completed the close of the twentieth century. Are we in a position to detect the manner in which evolutionary developments may have been promoted during the 1980’s and 1990’s?
109. Such attempts are indicative of the synthetic period of the one hundred year cycles—presumably a cycle of ten years, the last tenth of any one hundred year period.
Certain parts (two fifths) of that formula have
worked out through the achievements of such men as
110. We see that the discoveries related strictly to what we call electricity were part of the attempted revelation of the formula.
111. The workers in the area of radioactivity and, presumably, in the area atomic physics participated in the same revelation.
Tesla should be listed along with
Three more parts of the same formula have still to come, and will embody all that it is possible or safe for man to know anent the physical plane manifestation of electricity during the fifth subrace.
113. We are not, however, told when this revelation will emerge. We may presume that some of it must necessarily emerge in the Aquarian Age (strongly expressive of the fifth ray).
114. It is interesting that we are dealing with fifths and with scientific revelations related to the fifth ray (and to the seventh ray considered as the fifth aspect of the brahmic series of rays).
115. We can wonder if some of the revelations of quantum physics fit into this category and concern the formula under discussion.
All that we have here considered covers the time till the coming in of the new subrace.
116. The expected subrace is the sixth.
This [sub] race will summarise and carry to a temporary conclusion the manasic effort of the fifth rootrace of mental growth, and will cause results of stupendous import.
117. It seems there will be a hiatus in relation to strictly manasic effort (following a summarization). Such effort, we might predict, would resume in fullness with the advent of the seventh subrace since the numbers five and seven are in resonant accord.
During the sixth subrace, the emphasis will not be so much on the development of mind, as it will be on the utilisation of the concrete mind, and its acquired faculty, for the development of the powers of abstract thought.
118. We see in this prediction the blending of the fifth and third rays. The third ray is, in a way, the ‘higher octave’ of the fifth. As well, the number three is closely related to the number six.
119. It is the manner in which the concrete mind is to be used that will make progress in the sixth subrace unlike mental development in former cycles.
120. The formulations of the abstract mind are far more useful and convincing when based upon solid, rational concrete thinking.
Perhaps too much importance has been attached to the statement of some occult writers that the sixth subrace will be intuitive. The intuition will be awakening, and will be more prominent than now, but the outstanding characteristic will be the ability of the units of the sixth subrace to think in abstract terms, and to use the abstract mind.
121. This is an important caveat; intuition will wax during the sixth subrace of the fifth root race, but the number six is one of the abstract rays (Abstract Idealism), and is thus influential in promoting abstract mentality.
122. Thought will become comprehensive, encompassing. Groups of related factors will be related to other groups of related factors.
123. Instead of relating things to each other, there will develop a capacity to relate relationships.
124. The true occultist is reserved in his expectations. DK has presented us with a reservation which must be contemplated.
125. Regardless of our present racial form, do we find ourselves entering into the process described—the utilization of the acquired faculty of the concrete mind as the basis for the cultivation of abstract thought?
Their function will be to perfect (as far as may be in this round) [Page 457] the group antaskarana,53 or the link between the mental and the buddhic.
126. The initial task is the perfection of the first aspect of the second phase of antahkaranic development. We might call the first phase simply the link with the soul within the causal body.
127. The second and third phases of antahkaranic development relate to contact with the buddhic permanent atom and the atmic permanent atom, and consequently, increasing access to those triadal faculties.
128. There is no true abstract thinking unless the antahkarana is functioning.
129. But the task demanded actually goes farther. True group consciousness is an aspect of soul consciousness. The essence of soul consciousness is buddhic. If group consciousness is to be cultivated and expanded, it must be nourished by the buddhic energy.
130. Therefore, the work during the sixth subrace will demand the extension of the antahkarana from the manasic permanent atom to the buddhic permanent atom—really the cultivation of buddhi-manas. This suggests the transition from the building and use of the ‘individual’ antahkarana to the building and use of the group antahkarana.
131. Buddhi is the sixth principle and the buddhic permanent atom is the second or sixth permanent atom (depending on how we count).
132. It is possible for the group together to access the manasic permanent atom and achieve a type of ‘abstract group mind’, but group consciousness must be nourished by buddhi.
133. So, individually, the members of the sixth subrace cultivate abstract thought and utilize the manasic permanent atom; collectively and within their soul-inspired groups, the member of the sixth subrace cultivate the relationship between higher manas and buddhi.
134. Thus, are the numbers five, six, three and two blended in the destined achievements of the sixth subrace.
a. Five—the concrete mind is the basis for the work undertaken—the antahkaranic work. The sixth subrace is the sixth subrace of the fifth root race.
b. Six—we are dealing with the sixth subrace and with the influence of the sixth principle—the buddhic principle
c. Three—the abstract mind (which will be cultivated during the sixth subrace of the fifth root race) is the triadal vehicle generically expressive of the third ray.
d. Two—the number two suggests group consciousness, and thus the group approach to the building of the antahkarana.
53: Antahkarana is the lower manas, the path of communication between the personality and the higher manas, or human soul.—H. P. Blavatsky.
135. HPB may be speaking of the first phrase of antahkarana development. The soul within the causal body is, in some measure, an expression of higher manas. The atomic sub-plane of the mental plane and the manasic permanent atom must, however, be accessed before higher manas, per se, becomes part of the disciple’s accessible faculties.
This bridge will be of a usable nature during the sixth rootrace in which the intuition will show real and general signs of existing.
136. The antahkaranic bridge is not yet generally of a useable nature. This will change in the sixth subrace.
137. Limitations are placed on our expectations with regard to expression of intuition. Intuition in fullness will not appear during the sixth subrace, but during the sixth root race, real (and general) signs of its existence will be noted.
In this rootrace, units only show signs here and there of real intuition, having built the necessary bridge in their individual selves.
138. DK is telling us that (in our present subrace) the construction and utilization of the group antahkarana is rare.
139. Some individuals have built the bridge to manas and even to buddhi (and so, for those, there will be signs of intuition).
In the sixth rootrace small groups will be intuitive.
140. If we are to look for a real expression of group intuition, we will, it seems have to wait until the sixth root race (not subrace) and the groups demonstrating intuition will be small.
It is needless to say more here anent the influence of the seventh Ray upon the sons of men. More later may be available but enough has been suggested to form the basis of useful speculation.
141. And speculation is expected of us. What is speculation as it applies to the field of occultism? We might say that the student of occultism, based upon any knowledge or wisdom with respect to which he feels a degree of certainty, projects hypotheses concerning that about which he knows less, little or nothing.
142. Reasonable certainty is his platform; following the laws of reason and analogy, he formulates that which may be possible in relation to other spheres of experience into which he cannot yet enter experientially.
b. Animals and human beings and the Rays.
143. VSK observes: “[note that point a. Ray Effects, was on page 427 – review the Division B table of contents on p. 343, IV the Future of Manas, to refresh our context.]”
We will now take up two points and study the effect of the incoming force on the human and animal kingdoms.
144. We have considered principally the human kingdom and are now to include the animal kingdom and the deva evolution.
These points are of profound interest to the occult student for two reasons. The topic we have now to consider is the effect of the incoming seventh Ray during the coming centuries upon the animal kingdom and the deva evolution.
145. There are certain devic lives who pursue the path to self-consciousness through initial entry into the animal kingdom. (cf. TCF 844)
The profundity of the interest lies in the fact that
in the one case we are dealing with the evolution immediately behind the human and from which man is not as yet wholly emancipated, and
146. This is an important point. At the third initiation a tremendous struggle arises in the life of the would-be initiate because of the influences of Mars and the Moon in relation to the more progressive forces which are attempting to ‘win’ his consciousness.
147. Mars and the Moon are two ‘planets’ (at least one of them is), closely related to the animal kingdom.
148. The personality of man, with its four lunar elementals, is very much the animal in man. Both Mars and the Moon are rulers of these four elementals.
149. Two of the elementals, the physical and astral elementals, are strictly animal in their nature and represent faculties which belonged to the animal before he was individualized.
150. At the third degree we become, in large measure, emancipated from the animal kingdom within us—interestingly the third kingdom.
in the other we are concerning ourselves with a paralleling evolution, and one that is of vast importance in the scheme of things.
151. We are going to focus on two evolutions in relation to man (using for our context the effects of the incoming seventh ray which will affect these two evolutions and the human evolution as well).
152. DK mentions the “vast importance” of the deva kingdom—an importance to which humanity is only now awakening.
Let us take up first this seventh Ray and its effect upon the animal kingdom.
Practically little is known to man concerning this kingdom of nature, save what science has vouchsafed anent the physical organisms, and a few occult statements which have been given out at various times; the development of the animal consciousness and its immediate future is as yet but little understood.
153. The animal kingdom is the kingdom closest to us. In fact we incorporate the animal within our nature analogously to the incorporation of the Moon-chain (the former third) within our Earth-chain (the present fourth).
154. For all our apparent familiarity with the animal kingdom, our knowledge of it is actually superficial.
The most important of the occult facts concerning this [Page 458] third kingdom as they relate to our present subject, may be enumerated as follows:
1. The animal kingdom holds the same relation to the human kingdom as the dense physical body does to the seven principles and still finds its connecting link with man through the close correspondence between their bodies of objectivity.
155. This statement elevates the human kingdom far above the animal.
156. (Interestingly, in astrology, the Moon stands occultly for the dense physical body—though it has other meanings).
157. The physical body (his animal body in the strictest sense) is not a principle and, in relation to the human kingdom the animal kingdom is not a principle.
158. Animals and humans are directly related through the animal body of the human being which is very similar to the physical body of the animal—as comparative anatomy will reveal.
159. We remind ourselves that we are here speaking of kingdoms and their relation. We are not speaking of specific forms.
2. The animal kingdom is the third of the kingdoms and is (from the esoteric point of view and as regards its relation to mankind) the mother aspect, prior to the overshadowing by the Holy Spirit, the manas aspect.
160. The Holy Spirit and Mother are often but not always differentiated.
161. It is possible to relate the Holy Spirit to the etheric body and the mother aspect to the strictly material aspect of man.
162. Here another step is taken and the Holy Spirit is related to the “manas aspect”.
163. The coming of the Solar Angels, then, was like the overshadowing of the Holy Spirit.
164. From the animal kingdom (acting as mother) the human kingdom is born, through the addition of manas facilitated by the intervention of the overshadowing Solar Angels (the Holy Spirit aspect, in this case).
165. It is fascinating to think of the resemblance between the Solar Angels and the Holy Spirit. The connection is via manas.
Think out this resemblance, and trace the analogy between the cosmic mother, the systemic mother, and the same mother aspect as seen in the animal kingdom as a basis for the evolution of man.
the cosmic mother the Cosmic Son is born (the Cosmic Logos is His soul aspect).
From the systemic mother the ‘Solar Son’ is born—our Solar Logos considered as
a Grand Heavenly
167. What is the cosmic kingdom (analogous to the animal kingdom) that precedes the emergence of the Cosmic Man? What is the solar systemic kingdom (equally analogous) that precedes the emergence of ‘Solar Man’?
168. The eighteen lower cosmic sub-planes, or perhaps even the lower fourteen cosmic sub-planes, must play a role in the emergence of the ‘Solar Son’ (in His cosmic causal body), analogous to the role of the eighteen or fourteen lower systemic sub-planes in the emergence of a human being in his causal body on the systemic higher mental plane).
implication is that there is a ‘Solar Animal’ Kingdom preceding the ‘
170. There is obviously a cosmic extension, but at what level shall we pitch the word “cosmic”?
171. It is possible to conceive of a ‘Cosmic Animal’ Kingdom which utilizes fourteen or (possibly eighteen) cosmic planes (not just cosmic sub-planes—which are equivalent in scope to our systemic planes) but actual cosmic planes. This would naturally take us into super-cosmic planes, in relation to which what we call cosmic planes are actually sub-planes.
172. The individualization of the Planetary Logos (as a Planetary Logos and not as a human being) and the individualization of the Solar Logos (as a Solar Logos and not as a human being) must be related to Their emergence from that particular greater Kingdom (expressing through certain cosmic planes) which could be called (in relation to Them) a ‘predecessory’ Animal Kingdom.
173. We need to think in terms of—
a. The Cosmic Animal and its Kingdom
b. The Systemic Animal and its Kingdom
terrestrial animal (and what we customarily call the “
174. Perhaps some clue will come to us if we think of individualization as a kind of “first recognition” of participation within a new type of consciousness. For the Planetary Logos, individualization our a predecessory animal kingdom would mean His first recognition of Himself as a group. For a Solar Logos, individualization would mean His first recognition of Himself as a systemic Being—Whom we call “the One” (the Microcosm).
Each of the kingdoms of nature acts as the mother to the succeeding one in the evolutionary process.
175. A mother produces the vehicle of her child out of her very own substance.
176. Can we utilize this analogy (so evident between the third and fourth kingdoms) in relation to the birth of the fifth kingdom from the fourth, or the birth of the sixth from the fifth?
177. The members of the fifth kingdom still utilize the inner vehicles of the members of the fourth, but those vehicles are subtly changed and vitalized by the fifth factor which characterizes the members of the fifth kingdom—higher manas in the form of solar fire.
178. The members of the sixth kingdom of nature (Planetary Lives) still utilize the inner vehicles of the members of the fifth (vehicles made of triadal substance) but those vehicles are subtly changed and vitalized by factor which distinguished the Planetary Lives—namely, the presence of the Monad as an expressive factor.
179. Of course members of the sixth kingdom can drop their triadal vehicles, too, and still remain members of the sixth kingdom. Similarly, members of the fifth kingdom can drop their animal body and still remain members of the fifth kingdom—as many Masters do.
Any group, which may be under consideration, should in due course of evolution give birth to offspring, who will—in themselves—embody some ideal, and who receive their objective forms on some plane from the earlier group.
180. The offspring are higher then the parent which gave birth to them. The offspring receive their “objective forms” from the parent, who in this case is a member of an earlier group—earlier than the group to which the offspring (now) belongs.
181. It is interesting—the egg gives birth to the chicken, but perhaps the reptile laid the egg! The principle of mutation must be understood.
From the third kingdom springs the fourth, and from this fourth will emerge the fifth,
182. As suggested…
a. Germ protection,
183. This is the protection of that which germinates, eventually, into the destined form. The embryo is protected within the mother for a certain duration before birth into the external world.
184. This is the lunar factor related to the signs Cancer and Virgo, both ruled by the Moon (Virgo esoterically).
c. Gradual development,
185. This the mother oversees often at great sacrifice to herself.
186. This, the mother provides, at first from her own substance.
187. We see how the origin (i.e., the mother) provides the vehicle for the offspring and sustains that vehicle until it is sufficiently independent to sustain itself.
until in each case the human child, or the Christ child, is brought to the birth.
188. We are speaking of two kinds of birth, one physical and one metaphysical. Both types emerge from a mother:
a. The physical child emerges from the mother’s body.
b. The metaphysical “Christ child” emerges from the personality considered as a kind of “mother”.
This is a very occult truth, and though the facts have been recognised and taught anent the fourth and fifth kingdoms, the work and place of the animal has not received its due recognition.
189. We are long familiar with the idea that from the fourth kingdom the fifth is eventually born.
190. The role of the animal kingdom as “mother”, however, has not been sufficiently appreciated.
191. How would we treat the members of the animal kingdom were this fact to be in the forefront of our consciousness.
192. It is important to consider (in relation to the animal kingdom) the specialized evolution of ‘man’ during the first two and a half root races. Man’s eventual, huge animal body had, we are told, resemblance to a huge ape-like form generated in the third round, even though man appeared in the fourth.
3. During the third rootrace, animal individualisation took place, and the self-conscious unit, called Man, came into being.
193. Individualization is often called simply that—“individualization”. To call it “animal individualization” points the consciousness towards that form of life which became individualized. We are speaking of the individualization of ‘animal man’, or of the ‘prepared’ man-like animal of the period.
194. We have seen above that we can speak of individualization of Beings much greater than man, and the nature of such individualization has points analogically in common but the parallel processes are not identical.
I have somewhat dealt with the question of [Page 459] individualisation elsewhere and seek not here to enlarge upon it.
195. DK and HPB have given this subject extensive treatment, but everything they have said should be collected and studied topically so that the greatest synthesis of thought in relation to this subject may be achieved.
I would only point out a correspondence that holds hid the key to the mystery of individualisation.
196. There is a “mystery of individualization”. It is, no doubt, related to the greater “Mystery of the Makara”.
In this chain, individualisation took place during the third rootrace and in the fourth round, speaking in this connection of a round through a chain of globes, and not the life force of a planetary Logos circulating through the seven chains in a scheme.
197. We are not told precisely during which subrace of the third root race individualization occurred but it can be inferred, as Phillip Lindsay has done, to be the third.
198. We have long sought to substantiate the differentiation between chain rounds and scheme rounds. This section goes a long way towards confirming that differentiation.
199. A chain round is a “round through a chain of globes”—simple enough.
200. A scheme round is created by “the life force of a planetary Logos circulating through the seven chains in a scheme” (whatever may be the exact modus operandi—different models have been offered).
It is of peculiar interest at this time that we are in the fourth round in a chain as well as in the fourth round as regards the scheme of seven chains.
201. This is a section even more confirmatory than the last. Two types of rounds are clearly delineated—one occurring through the globes of a chain and the other through the chains of a planetary scheme.
It has led to evolutionary possibilities of great import.
202. The coincidence of fourth rounds (of these two types) has led to these possibilities.
203. The extraordinary numerological emphasis has opened a door.
204. The occurrences on within our planetary scheme in relation to the number four are parallelled within the Venus-scheme in relation to the number five.
On the moon chain individualisation took place during the fifth race of the third round, and in the next chain [Mercury chain] to ours on the evolutionary arc individualisation will take place during the sixth race of the second round,—in each case this refers to a planetary round through a chain of globes.
205. This section is pregnant with occult information.
206. Upon the third round of the moon chain in its fifth race, individualization occurred—without the intervention of Solar Angels, so we are told.
207. The higher manasic apparatus, the causal body (or egoic lotus) such as it was, was evolved from the animal nature.
208. The Mercury-chain (already existent as we have been told) will be the field for a future type of individualization, in the sixth race of the second round.
209. As for the present existence and activity of the fifth or Mercury-chain, the following which speaks of the fifth round of the Earth-chain confirms it.
In the fifth round, for instance, the fifth chain (a centre in the body of the Heavenly Man) will be the recipient of this fifth type of force and will transmit and circulate it to the other chains via their fifth globe. (TCF 435)
210. We see that (in the case above) the term “planetary round” is equivalent to a chain round and not to a scheme round.
211. There are other instances in which the idea of a “planetary round” could represent what we have been calling a ‘scheme round’.
212. That individualization took place in the third round in relation to the Moon-chain and in the fourth round in relation to the Earth-chain could lead one to believe that scheme rounds were involved, but since the next type of individualization (on the Mercury-chain) will take place in the “second round”, the pattern is broken, because the second ‘scheme round’ would have had to taken place before the third or the fourth, and yet the term “second round” is used to describe a future development. Thus, the term “planetary round” must, in this instance, refer to a “chain round”.
213. The kind of individualization (in the Mercury-chain) will differ much from the much earlier Moon-chain individualization because both the number of the root race involved and the number of the round in which this process occurs are soft-line numbers.
214. Let us compare the numbers:
a. On the Moon-chain, individualization occurred in the third round fifth root race. Both numbers are mental and hard line
b. On the Earth-chain, individualization occurred in the fourth round, third root race. One number is even and the other odd.
c. On the Mercury-chain, individualization will occur in the second round, sixth root race. It would seem that the buddhic factor will be prominent in this type of individualization. We remember the fourth ray soul of the planet Mercury (a fact likely reflected in the Mercury-chain of our Earth-scheme).
4. In the fourth rootrace the "door" (as it is called) between the two kingdoms became closed, and no more of the animal kingdom passed into the human. [although mention is made elsewhere that the door is ‘ajar’.]
215. VSK mentions that the door had been left ajar.
The door of individualisation or of entrance into the human kingdom has been closed since Atlantean times, but under the new influence it will be partially opened; it will be set ajar, so that a few animals will respond to soul stimulation and discover that their rightful place is on the human side of the dividing door. (EP I 371)
216. We may suspect that when Moon-chain humanity emerged from pralaya to take up its evolution on the Earth-chain’s fourth globe and within its fourth round, it was during the third subrace of the fourth root race that this emergence occurred. This is Phillip Lindsay’s reasoned hypothesis and, I think, a good one.
217. It may also be true that the door upon the animal kingdom was shut to individualization at that time. The numbers are convincing for the animal kingdom is the third kingdom and the root race was in its third phase.
218. We can conceive that when there was such an influx of human beings from the pralayic state following the Moon-chain debacle, further augmentation of the number of human beings through individualization may have been an overload on the global system.
Their cycle temporarily ended and—to express it in terms of fire or of electrical phenomena—the animal kingdom and the human became positive to each other, and repulsion instead of attraction supervened.
219. Prior to this moment, it was as if the human kingdom was negative to the animal kingdom. The human kingdom received into its midst the newly individualized human beings from the animal kingdom.
220. We can see that flows and interchanges are controlled by changes in electrical polarity.
All this was brought about by the swinging into power of a profoundly long cycle of the fifth Ray.
221. We may wonder how long and from whence the fifth ray impulse came?
222. It does seem that the duration of ray cycles is somewhat elastic being based on the needs of the system through which the ray is manifesting.
223. On the other hand, as Stephen D. Pugh suggests, the very long period could have been based upon the number 350.
This was necessitated by the need of man to develop along the manasic line, and resulted in a period of repulsion of the animal units, leaving their consciousness to be stimulated on astral lines.
224. Animals still received stimulation, we are told, but not mental stimulation.
225. There was need for astral stimulation as some degree of harmonization was needed between these two kingdoms. They had been inimical (it seems) in Lemurian days.
226. The profoundly long cycle of the fifth ray allowed considerable manasic development for man. The implication is that if the animals of that period continued to individualize, the manasic development slated for the human beings of the period could not have been accomplished.
Owing to this repulsion, we have one reason (and one of the least fundamental) for the destructive war and the long cycle of cruelty that has been waged between man and the animals.
227. An explanation for the poor relations between the animal and human kingdoms is given—but it is not the fundamental reason. The repulsion of the period (bringing the possibility of animal individualization to an end) was the cause here cited.
228. It would seem that the conflict between men and animals raged in Lemuria as well as in Atlantis. However, if human civilization were to be drastically reduced in quality and in its capacity to protect the human being, we might see a return to the days when animals preyed liberally upon humans.
229. Perhaps human beings are cruel to the animals for two reasons:
a. They feel threatened by the animals (moreso in the past than in our present civilization, with its abundant weaponry).
b. They did not wish to fall back into the animal state, and so unconsciously repelled the forms with which they no longer sought to identify.
It can be evidenced in the terror of man in connection with wild animals of the jungles and the deserts, and in the terrible toll of life that such animals have exacted during the centuries. This must not [Page 460] be forgotten.
230. We are speaking of the long cycle of cruelty waged between men and animals.
231. Man may now be the hunter but there was a time when he was the hunted.
232. Yet these statements must be considered in relation to the purportedly huge stature of the human beings of earlier root races. Were animals as large as man, when man towered (in some cases we are told) to heights of fifty feet or even a hundred?
233. When it becomes possible, investigation must be made into the relations between these two kingdoms when the stature of man was tremendous; what was his stature in relation to the animals of the times and how did this affect their relations?
234. The factor of “terror” describes the relationship well. Some animals have been cruel (so it seems) to man.
235. One of the satellites of Mars has the name “Terror”. Mars is the most potent ruler of the animal kingdom.
For thousands of years, wild animals have—specially before the coming in of firearms—destroyed the defenseless, and during those years, had statistics been taken, the numbers of human beings killed would reach a stupendous figure.
236. DK can read the record and speaks of times which we human beings have been only too happy to forget.
237. The modern hunter is (unconsciously) redressing the balance.
238. But one is forced to think of weaponry in the heyday of great civilizations such as the Atlantean. Surely, with the advanced technology supposedly available (flying ships, “Vimanas”, we are told) there must have been a capacity to hold the animals at bay.
239. However, civilizations come and go and human conditions degenerate after having reached spectacular heights. With the loss of technological knowledge, it would seem that man once again became vulnerable.
Now, in this age, the balancing is taking place and in the slaughter of animals equilibrium is being reached.
240. The animals slaughtered are for the most part cattle, sheep, chickens and other birds used for food. The slaughter is not wanton, but for the purposes of nourishment.
241. We see how Nature works. Even if those participating in a karmic process are unaware of its cause, the process is inexorable.
242. Are we saying that the group souls incarnated within the types of animals usually slaughtered were slaughterers in earlier days? Lions and tigers are hunted and slaughtered, and we can think of these animals as having still more ferocious antecedents. But what of cows and sheep? Were their antecedents dangerous to man?
I do not refer to the wanton cruelties practised under the name of science, nor to certain practices which take place under religious guise in different lands.
243. DK is speaking of vivisection and also ritual slaughter of certain animals such as bulls and lambs.
The source of these enormities must be sought for elsewhere.
244. The types of animal slaughter just mentioned are called “enormities”. There is no question about DK’s opinion about them.
245. Perhaps the enormities can be traced as far back as the Moon-chain.
It is hidden in the karma of that Being, Who for a period—during the moon chain—held office as the Entity Who is the informing evolutionary Life of the animal kingdom. This is a point of view needing careful pondering.
246. There are many offices to be held in the administration of a planet. One such office is here called “the informing evolutionary Life of the animal kingdom”. It seems that more than one Entity can hold such an occult office.
247. The enormities are related to His karma.
248. As well the crucifixion of the animal body may be related to His karma.
249. If we think astrologically about the bloodshed involve and the source of these practices as the Moon-chain, we can see how Mars and the Moon together are related to these processes. We can also see why Mars and the Moon, together, are such an important dual force in the battle which liberates human beings of a certain initiatory level from the animal kingdom. This is accomplished at the third initiation.
250. We might wonder (from the evolutionary perspective) whether an Entity informing such a kingdom of nature as an animal kingdom could eventually inform a kingdom like the human? All evolves an progresses.
Each of the kingdoms of nature is the expression of a Life or Being;
251. These are the informing Lives of the kingdoms of nature.
252. Since the words “Life” and “Being” are capitalized, one would think that these Lives or Beings must be self-conscious, but this assertion is put into question below.
man, for instance, being the expression of one or other of the Heavenly Men; the sumtotal of humanity (the fourth Hierarchy) being found, with the deva evolution, as the centres of the solar Logos.
253. The sumtotal of humanity within our planetary scheme, (along with the devas) function as the centers in our Planetary Logos.
254. The sumtotal of humanity within the solar system (along with the devas of the solar system) function as the centers of a Solar Logos. We would assume, in the attempt to preserve scale, that we are speaking of minor centers.
255. The same thought (re minor centers) would also be true in relation to a Planetary Logos, because, as we know, chains and globes are both centers in the Planetary Logos, and, therefore, human and deva groupings would have to represent much smaller centers.
The animal kingdom likewise is the expression of the life of a Being Who is a part of the body of the Logos or of the planetary Logos, but not a centre of conscious energy.
256. This is a very important statement. A great Life informs the animal kingdom, but it is not (apparently) a conscious life, not a “center of conscious energy”.
257. This means that the Life informing the human kingdom as a whole is a center of conscious energy.
258. We might question, however, how a great “Life” or “Being” could inform an entire kingdom (presumably directing its instinctual processes) and not be conscious.
(A correspondence is found in the human body, which has its seven centres of force or energy, but also other organs upon which objective manifestation depends in lesser degree.)
259. It would seem that the Entity informing the animal kingdom has a correspondence to the physical organs of the human body, where as the Entity informing the human kingdom corresponds to the etheric centers.
260. In the interplay between the human kingdom and the animal kingdom we have an interplay between that which is essentially etheric and that which is densely physical.
261. The animal kingdom, therefore, is symbolized by the Moon (which we know, is the “mother”) and the human kingdom by the Holy Spirit (and, in a way, the planet Uranus, ruler of the etheric body).
Such an Entity finds expression through the animal kingdom, of which He is the informing Soul, and He has definite place in the planetary or logoic body. This is a hint which has hitherto not been exoteric and is to be commended to the consideration of students.
262. DK is offering an occult revelation; there are many things He discloses in the Teaching which had not been disclosed prior to His writing.
263. If the various Heavenly Man inform the totality of the various types of humanity (found on different planets), then these types of Entities inform the various types of animal lives (found on the different planets).
264. Could we be talking of that Entity called the “Planetary Entity” or of a certain sub-division of that Entity?
265. On a system wide basis, we have the Grand Heavenly Man informing all humanities, and, hypothetically, a system-wide ‘Systemic Entity’ informing all the sub-human kingdoms.
266. When the Planetary Logos or the Solar Logos individualizes (on the cosmic planes), is it such a system-wide Entity (or a portion of it) from which these Logoi are differentiating themselves through a process of systemic or cosmic individualization?
267. When DK speaks of the “definite place” occupied by the Entity informing the animal kingdom in relation to the “planetary or logoic body”, is He speaking of the physical body of the Planetary Logos or the Solar Logos? It would seem we could make a case for this supposition.
I would add that some of the tragedies underlying existence at this time are karmically incident upon temporarily faulty relations between an entity who dominated at one period of the third or moon-chain, and the one holding analogous position in this the fourth or earth chain.
268. We note that in this section the word “entity” is not capitalized.
269. As we learn below, the status of these entities is not that high. That they were dominant at certain periods may have been the result of imbalance.
270. Tragedies cannot be avoided. They are inherent in the structure of the one they befall, despite the struggles (or decisions) of that one against the developing tragedy.
271. We find that our globe (and, perhaps, our chain) is often in the throes of unhappiness. DK is tracing such unhappiness to the faulty relations between two dominating entities.
272. We recall that there are stars in the Great Bear and Pleiades which, relative to each other, are out of adjustment and, thereby, responsible for much of cosmic evil.
273. We must also ask whether the idea of domination requires self-consciousness or whether it simply reflects power (whether that power is wielded consciously or unconsciously).
274. The sections of text with which DK is presenting us contain, it seems, a number of implications or hints.
275. Underlying the information given in the section above is an implied relation existing between the Chain-Lord of the Moon-chain and the Chain-Lord of the Earth-chain. The earlier Chain-Lord may have been mysteriously absorbed into the vehicle of planetary logoic expression we now call the Earth-chain.
276. There may also be implied a faulty relationship between the E/entity who ensouled the animal kingdom on the Moon-chain, and the E/entity who now ensouls the animal kingdom on the Earth-chain.
277. We may also infer that things are out of adjustment between the Life informing the human kingdom (on the Earth-chain) and the Life now informing the animal kingdom (also on the Earth-chain).
278. Faulty relations between even lower “entities” is also quite explicitly suggested.
279. These are deep mysteries. We see from TCF 844 that the “informing life of a kingdom of nature” is a Being of greater status than a Solar Pitri (Who most definitely is self-conscious). So there are mysteries to be solved regarding the type of conscious of these informing Lives—are they conscious as the chart suggests, or are they (the Lives informing lower kingdoms) not centers of conscious energy?
280. We will now receive further clarification on the nature of these entities whose relationship is out of adjustment.
This latter is the sumtotal of the [Page 461] lowest human principle, if we count the dense physical or animal body of man as a principle. In their lack of agreement lies the clue to the cruelties practised on animals by man.
281. The entity in question (at least with respect to the Earth-chain) is the entity informing the dense physical body of all men.
282. The physical body is not a principle yet is here so considered.
283. We are dealing with very physical entities—at least in the case of the entity expressing through the Earth-chain. The same may be suspected of the one formerly expressing in relation to the Moon-chain.
284. We may suppose that the entity who, on the Moon-chain, was the subtotal of the physical body of the animal kingdom (on that chain) is presently experiencing “faulty relations” with the entity who (on the Earth-chain) is the sumtotal of the physical body of man.
285. But there is room for other interpretations.
286. The matter is intricate and somewhat obscure. We have, potentially, four types of entities involved:
a. The entity who was the sumtotal of animal physical bodies on the Moon-chain.
b. The entity who was the sumtotal of the physical bodies of man as he was on the Moon-chain.
c. The entity who is the sumtotal of animal physical bodies on the Earth-chain.
d. The entity who is the sumtotal of the physical bodies of man, now on the Earth-chain.
287. While there are four possibilities here, there may be only two entities involved.
288. We also have to compare the Lives or Beings Who ensouled the animal and human kingdoms on the Moon-chain and the Lives or Being who presently ensoul the animal and human kingdoms on the Earth-chain. These latter are “Entities” whereas those who are the sumtotal of animal and human physical bodies are “entities”.
289. Can it be that mans physical body (his “animal body”) is really part of an entity more related to the animal kingdom than to the human? For man is an “animal plus a god”—as HPB tells us. If so, this would show how two entities may comprise the four possibilities.
290. From a much larger perspective, the whole ‘disagreement’ or quarrel seems to be between “planetary entities”—large but low-grade forms of life.
We have enumerated six occult statements anent the animal kingdom, the third kingdom of nature. They related to the past, and we will now add one further statement to them and then proceed to consider the present and to foretell certain eventualities that may be looked for in the future.
291. Four of these statements have been enumerated on pages 458-459. The other two statements must be extracted from the text.
a. The animal kingdom is to the human kingdom as the dense physical vehicle is to the seven principles
b. The animal kingdom is the third kingdom and the mother aspect in relation to the human kingdom.
c. Animal individualization in our chain took place in the third root race.
d. The “door” from the animal kingdom into the human kingdom closed in the fourth root race of the fourth round as that round transited our globe. (See also below.)
292. The last two statements would seem to refer to the relationship between the Entity informing the animal kingdom and the Entity informing the human kingdom. Then, there is the question of the relationship between the entity/entities informing the dense physical body of the human kingdom (or animal kingdom) on the Earth-chain and a parallel entity/entities on the Moon-chain.
As we have seen, during the third rootrace, opportunity for the animal kingdom occurred and many individualised. In the fourth rootrace this cycle of opportunity ceased temporarily, and something happened which is analogous to what will occur in the fifth rootrace in connection with man, at the so-called "Judgment Day."
293. We can understand the analogy if DK is speaking of the true "Judgment Day". At the "Judgment Day", two fifths of Earth humanity will be occultly rejected. They will be transferred into a temporary pralaya and later moved to another scheme.
294. When the “door” was closed upon the animal kingdom in Atlantean days, it constituted a kind of rejection. In relation to the animals who could not enter the human kingdom, there were two methods of treatment suggested below.
295. But, now, let us be cautious: is DK speaking of the true "Judgment Day" in the fifth round of the Earth-chain or is He speaking of the “so-called Judgment Day” due to occur in the fifth root race of this present fourth round—a kind of "Judgment Day" which is simply a weak anticipation of the future "Judgment Day".
296. Or, is He giving us a hint that when the "Judgment Day" will occur in the middle of the fifth round that it will occur during a fifth root race of that round (presumably on our globe). If so, it would be a very important hint.
In Atlantean days the lives which composed the third kingdom of nature were divided into two groups:
297. We note that this parallels the treatment of humanity at the "Judgment Day", when humanity will be divided into two groups.
· A number of these lives were "passed," and the tide of life sweeps through them, permitting of their incarnating in animal form on earth, and their gradual evolution.
298. Some of the members of the then animal kingdom were allowed to continue on our planet, just as some of the human kingdom at the "Judgment Day" (three fifths, in fact) will be allowed to continue their evolution on planet Earth.
· The remainder were rejected, and as a group they became temporarily quiescent, and will not manifest in physical form until the next round.
299. Others were not allowed to continue their evolution on our planet (at that time). We are speaking of incarnation on our dense planet; they obviously continued to be part of our planetary scheme.
300. These were the rejected ones and must wait until the fifth round before continuing their evolution, apparently, on our Earth.
301. The range of modern animal forms is so great, that one wonders which types of animals were rejected. Their rejection does not necessarily mean that they constituted the very lowest animal forms.
302. We must be careful in our consideration. We are speaking not only of the transit of animals into the human kingdom. We are speaking of dividing the animal kingdom (in Atlantean days) into two parts, one part of which could continue as animals on Earth and the other part of which could not.
303. This is very different from the kind of division (also in Atlantean days) which discriminated between those higher forms of animals (some of which were passed into the human kingdom and others of which will have to wait for their individualization until another round (unless they are among those for whom the “Door” was left slightly ajar.
In the fifth round, a corresponding division will take place in the fourth kingdom, and the lives in that kingdom will be subjected to an analogous test; some will be passed and will continue their evolution on this planet, while others will be rejected, and will go into temporary pralaya.
304. DK has described this at various points when reviewing the nature of the "Judgment Day". The proportion is: three fifths are to be passed; two fifths are to be rejected.
305. So, in the past, some animals continued to incarnate and some did not. Where they ‘went’ or what became (or would become) of them (in the interim between that time and their future opportunity) is not given.
306. In the future (the fifth round (of our Earth-chain) some humans will continue to incarnate on our plane and some will not. Of their fate we are told somewhat more. They will be transferred (it appears) into a pralayic state and thence to another planetary scheme (perhaps temporarily, we do not know).
307. The proportion of animal units passed and rejected is contrasted below with the proportion as it will apply to the human kingdom.
After the rejection in the fourth rootrace of three-fourths of the animal units, the remaining triads (or one-fourth) proceeded on their way holding the promise of opportunity for all in time, and the guarantee of their [Page 462] own attainment in the next round.
308. The proportion in relation to the animal kingdom is: three-fourths rejected; one-fourth passed.
309. This is a very different proportion from what may be expected at the "Judgment Day". At that time, the majority will be passed.
310. Animals, we note, are considered to be “triads”. Their identity can be expressed as ‘triads within a group soul’. Of what does such a triad consist: of a physical permanent atom, an astral permanent atom and an incipient mental unit? As well, animals are “triads” on the triadal planes, just as human beings are. There is a distinct difference between being a spiritual triad inherently and being a developed, conscious spiritual triad.
311. The text seems to be saying that the animals who were passed will attain in the next round, and that, in time, those who were rejected will also achieve individualization (at length). That is what attainment seems to mean in this context—individualization.
312. We note that the denominator in the fractions used are four for the animal kingdom and five for the human kingdom. The division into three fifths and two fifths occurs because we are dividing intelligent, self-conscious units from each other. The four, in relation to the animal kingdom suggests a division among those who are not yet self-conscious.
count the physical body as a principle, followed by the etheric body, prana and
Just as the human Monads, who are passed in the fifth round, will enter into the fifth kingdom, or respond to its vibration before the climax of the seventh,
314. We recall the fivefold differentiation regarding the fate of those who would remain on Earth after the "Judgment Day". The following, which we have studied, is a more complete picture of the destiny of those human beings who remain with the Earth-scheme following the "Judgment Day".
One fifth will mantrically sound the words "I am That I am. "
Two fifths will achieve the fifth Initiation and will know themselves as "I am That." They will also be cultivating response to the higher note.
One fifth and a half will attain the third Initiation, and will know themselves as "I am That" in full consciousness.
The remaining units will be those who are treading the Path, and beginning to know themselves as the group. (TCF 422)
315. The lowest group of those remaining (“those who will enter into the fifth kingdom, or respond to its vibration before the climax of the seventh” round) are contained in the fourth of the four categories listed immediately above.
so the animal monads (if I may employ such a term) who were passed in this round will achieve individualisation during the fifth and enter the fourth kingdom.
316. The destiny of the ‘successful’ animals, passed during the fourth root race to continue their animal evolution on our planet, is given as individualization in the fifth round of our present chain. At that time they will enter the fourth kingdom.
317. Presumably the three quarters who were rejected will individualize at a later time.
This will be brought about by the strong manasic impulse which will characterise the whole cycle of the fifth round, and will thus be effected normally and as the result of due evolutionary growth. An electrical stimulation of the nature of the occurrence in Lemurian days will not be required.
318. We are discussing the manner of individualization to be expected in the fifth round of our chain for the one fourth of the animal kingdom that was “passed” in Atlantean days.
319. The manasic impulse in the fifth round will be very strong and will prompt the normal growth of manas, sufficient to bring about individualization in a normal manner. The manner of individualization in Lemuria was abnormal and intensely electrical.
320. Perhaps, at that time, and because it was the fourth round and also, due to the Moon-chain failure, the act of individualization required such an extreme electrical stimulation.
321. We can see that every round carries the quality which correlates to its number. The fifth round will carry a strong manasic impulse; the sixth round a strong buddhic impulse; and presumably, the seventh round, a strong atmic impulse.
322. The fourth round has carried and is carrying the note of conflict and astralism with some buddhic resonance probable.
great division in the fourth rootrace, the animal kingdom has been
primarily occupied with the stimulation and development of
323. DK tells us of the work being done by animals who were “passed”—at least, it seems that He is speaking specifically of those, as the rejected ones were not in physical incarnation after their rejection.
324. If those that were “passed” could not receive manasic stimulation in the continuation of the fourth root race of the fourth round, at least they received ‘kamic’ stimulation.
325. There are many animals, we realize, devoid of the emotional instinct—at least in any form we would recognize it. But in the domestic animals, the embryo love aspect is certainly to be noticed.
326. These are the animals that are coming under the close supervision of humanity and which experience the greatest impact from human energy.
327. Human beings supervising domestic animals are stimulating the third spirilla, which can be correlated with animal intelligence. Their intelligence is growing along with their emotional sensitivity.
328. One wonders if the segregating of the domestic animals began in the fifth subrace of the fourth root race, as the number five rules separation and the Law of Cleavages in general.
329. We are not told what happened to the rejected three-fourths; only that they became “temporarily quiescent” and that they will not manifest physically until the next round. We may wonder concerning what type of animals they were (in Atlantean days) and whether we would recognize them as similar to any animals today.
330. We much realize that, presently, incarnated animals cover a huge range of development, from a worm to an elephant.
331. When DK speaks of the segregation of the animal types in Atlantean days, is He speaking only of relatively higher animals? Or is He including the huge range. One ponders on the nature of the rejected ones and how they may have differed from some of the lower animal types found today. There are mysteries here.
The sumtotal of the domestic animals—the animal units brought into closest connection with man—form the heart centre in the body of that great Entity Who is the life of the animal kingdom.
332. This is an “Entity” and not the “entity” who was in enmity with the “entity” embodying the lowest principle of the human race. We are speaking of a Life ensouling a great kingdom of nature. Given the chart on TCF 844, it would seem that such Entities (placed in their development, so it would seem, ‘above’ Solar Pitris) must necessarily be self-conscious—maybe highly so.
333. We are presented with a very beautiful idea—that the domestic animals are related to the heart center.
334. We may think of the planet Venus as related to domestication. It also has a close relation to the heart center, but can also be considered a kind of heart center in relation to the three major chakras below the diaphragm, where the animal nature is focussed.
335. Venus means something of great significance to man, but also to the higher lives of the animal kingdom.
From the heart flow all the influences which will eventually permeate the entire body. These units are those which will be finally separated from the group soul at the reopening of the door into the human kingdom in the next round.
336. We are not told during which human root race of the next round this will occur. But as mentioned before, the term “fifth root race” is used in relation to the "Judgment Day", and if DK is actually talking of the actual "Judgment Day" of the next round, then He is telling us that it will occur in the fifth root race of that round.
337. We are given the important hint that when individualization is about to occur, the animal units ripe for individualization will be separated form the group soul. They are not, technically, “units” (as that term is technically used), because they are not yet self-conscious, but their separation from the group soul is the beginning of their self-consciousness.
338. The power of the heart center, even in relation to the animal kingdom, is suggested.
339. Such an animal as the dog, found upon the second and sixth rays, must have a very considerable heart center development and will make quite a ‘human being’ in future cycles.
340. It is evident that despite the general ray types of those animals called “dog”, subray types are discernable. There is a significant difference between a Doberman or a German Shepherd and a spaniel.
Let us now consider the immediate present, and the advent of this seventh ray of ceremonial magic. The effect upon the animal kingdom of the force of this ray will be far less than upon the human, for it is not yet ready to respond to the vibration of this planetary Logos,
341. We propose that the Planetary Logos in question is the Logos of Uranus.
342. In some of the training offered to the animal kingdom by humanity, we may see the seventh ray making a degree of impact. In this instance, however, the planet Saturn (also reasonably associated with the seventh ray) is operative.
343. Uranus is a planet of individualization (the creator of separated identity), and the animals are not yet individualized and so are unable to respond.
and will not be until the sixth round when His influence will bring about great events. Nevertheless, certain effects might here be noticed.
344. The prediction is that the members of the animal kingdom will be ready to respond to the Logos of the Seventh Ray during the sixth round.
345. By that time, those animals which have been “passed” during the fourth root race of the fourth round will long have been human beings. The other animals, however, may benefit from the increased impact.
Owing to the increased activity of the deva evolution, and specially of the devas of the ethers, the lesser builders will be stimulated to build, with greater facility, bodies of a more responsive nature, and the etheric bodies of both men and animals and also their responsiveness to force or prana will be more adequate.
346. In the “immediate present” the seventh ray will promote devic stimulation and especially the stimulation of the devas of the ethers—found upon a portion of the seventh plane (i.e., upon the system etheric planes).
347. Better and more responsive etheric bodies will thus be built for both men and animals. There will be a better processing of prana for both.
During the sixth subrace, disease as we know it in both kingdoms will be materially lessened owing to the pranic response of the etheric bodies.
348. The connection of the seventh ray with the lessening of disease can easily be understood. The seventh ray is connected with etheric vibration, and during the next subrace of the fifth root race the pranic neutralization of disease will be successfully practiced.
349. We are dealing with the union of the numbers six and seven. The six emerges from the sixth subrace and the seven through the expression of the seventh ray.
350. Prana is, by many means of reckoning, the sixth principle, and the etheric body the seventh, so we can see how etheric improvement can be expected from the union of these two numbers.
351. There are other forms of disease of which we are not aware, but disease “as we know it” will be at least materially lessened.
This will likewise bring about changes in the dense physical body and the bodies of both men and animals will be smaller, more refined, more finely attuned to vibration, and consequently more fitted to express essential purpose.
352. Whether this predicts the coming of ‘Yoda’ types, we cannot say, but gigantism will be on the wane.
353. Will these developments already be seen in the Aquarian Age when the seventh ray is prominent for perhaps twenty five hundred years?
354. We are looking then, for an increasing refinement of the vehicles of both men and animals, and the reduction in the size of these vehicles. It seems the two developments go together.
Owing to the recognition by man of the value of mantrams, and his gradual comprehension of the true ceremonial of evolution, coupled with the use of sound and colour, the animal kingdom will be better understood, and better trained, considered and utilised.
355. This is a prediction that mantrams, ceremonial work and the use of sound and color will lead to an increased understanding of the animal kingdom and better methods of training its members.
356. We already use mantrams (or simple “words of power”) in the training of animals, and the rhythmic approach (under the seventh ray) in such training is considered indispensable.
357. As for the use of sound and colour, perhaps progressive trainers already are applying these.
358. The concept of the “true ceremonial of evolution” indicates that it an orderly and rhythmic process of which humanity can become cognizant, thus altering for the better its approach to the animal kingdom.
359. Our attitude to the members of the animal kingdom should be:
a. Understand them
b. Train them
c. Consider them
d. Utilize them
360. There are some progressive people, even today, who wisely and successfully undertake all four of these requirements.
Indications of this already can be seen; for instance, in all our current magazines at this time, stories which deal with the psychology of animals,
361. We have but to think of the popularity of that approach which is called “horse whispering”.
362. The annals of “animal stories” are filled with examples of dogs who save their masters. I read about an older couple who was awakened during a raging fire due to the persistence of their German Shepherd. They escaped with their lives; she did not.
and with their mental attitude to man, are constantly appearing, and by the means of these and through the force of the incoming Ray, man may (if he cares to do so) come to a much wider sympathy with his brothers of less degree.
363. This is a beautiful way of thinking about the animal kingdom—“brothers of less degree”. Native Americans (many of them probably members of our true Earth humanity) think of the animals as “little brothers”.
364. DK indicates that human beings need “a much wider sympathy” for the animal kingdom. Now that much of the adverse karma is rapidly in process of clearing, this will be possible.
365. The seventh ray rules the etheric-physical body, that vehicle which animals and humans have in common. Through the ministrations of the seventh ray, human beings may come to identify with animals (not in any degrading manner, as has been unconsciously and commonly the case) but in the spirit of planetary brotherhood, with good results for both.
366. Animals and humans do, after all, share a ‘principle’ related to the number seven—an animal physical body.
Thus by the turning by man of his thought force upon the animals, stimulation of their latent mentality will ensue,
367. This means the stimulation of the third spirilla.
leading in due course of time to the crisis in the next round.
will be the crisis of individualization accompanying the activation of the
fourth spirillae. We human beings are those for whom the fourth spirilla has
been activated. The activation of the fifth spirilla coincides with our entry
into the fifth kingdom—the
369. We wonder about the relationship in the next round to the individualization of the capable animals and its relation to the "Judgment Day". We are not told of the timing of this crisis, but we are told that a type of “individualisation” will occur in the fourth root race of that round for those who are now our present aboriginal races and who, although apparently men, do not have the “spark of mind”
In the next round, during the fourth root race, and for a very brief period, a fresh cycle will reach its zenith, and will again open the door of individualisation in order to permit the entry of certain very advanced Egos who are seeking [Page 719] incarnation in order to carry out a special piece of work. This round will provide no bodies adequate to their need. The next round may do so if the plans proceed as anticipated. In this case the Manasadevas concerned will not individualise animal men as in the previous round, but will stimulate the mental germ in those members of the present human family who—as H. P. B. says—though apparently men, are without the spark of mind.40 During the next seven hundred years, these low aboriginal races will practically die out and will not—in this round—reincarnate. They will be rejected. In the next round opportunity will again occur, and the Manasadevas will again renew their work of forming individualistic nuclei for the development of self-consciousness. (TCF 718-719)
More attention should be paid by occult students to the effect of the consciousness of one group upon another group, and the advancement of the lesser, by the means of the stimulating power of the greater, should be studied.
370. This type of advancement is seen in the relationship between the members of the fifth and fourth kingdoms, resulting in the advancement of those in the fourth kingdom.
371. The parallel is obvious; when human beings as members of the fourth kingdom concentrate on the welfare of the animal kingdom, and associate with them (preferably benevolently), the members of that lower kingdom advance towards the higher.
372. In occultism there is always a helping hand offered by the immediately superior kingdom to the kingdom immediately below it.
373. Sometimes, a more dramatic intervention may occur in which kingdoms or Creative Hierarchies higher than the next kingdom immediately above may offer their assistance. Was this the case with regard to the relationship between the Solar Angels and the members of the Fourth Creative Hierarchy? We may question, “Who really are the Solar Angels?” and “Are they truly represented in a way we man discern on the tables to be found on Esoteric Astrology 34 and 35?”
The following facts should be realised:
a. The powerful vibration of the Lords of the three Rays, and of Their radiation, stimulates the four Heavenly [Page 464] Men and develops Their apprehension, enabling Them to expand Their consciousness.
374. We are speaking of the interaction between the Lords of the Rays of Aspect and the Lords of the Rays of Attribute. The Triad stimulates the Quaternary; the Triangle stimulates the Square.
b. The consciousness of the Heavenly Men stimulates all the units in Their bodies, but causes specialised response from those who are actively and intelligently working at the development of group consciousness.
375. This is because the Planetary Logoi are, Themselves, high examples of group consciousness.
a. Man is the individual
b. The Planetary Logos is the group
c. The Solar Logos is the One
376. Naturally, we are speaking in relative terms.
The vibration, for instance, of a planetary Logos has a peculiar effect upon all those who are initiates, adepts and chohans, and brings their three major spirillae to the necessitated vibration.
377. Initiates, Adept and Chohans work through permanent atoms of the spiritual triad which have only the three major spirillae, as we see in a quotation below.
378. Initiates, Adepts and Chohans are all group conscious.
379. The fifth spirilla refers to the stage of Adept and all that leads to that stage starting form the point of the first initiation.
380. The stimulation of the sixth spirilla refers to Chohans and to the Monad.
for the seventh spirilla, perhaps initiates of the seventh initiation (who
know, presumably, somewhat about the
382. The stimulation of the spirillae is correlated with the rounds which correlate with the number designating the spirillae.
383. We are being told that the Planetary Logos is responsible for the stimulation of the three major spirillae. Planetary process itself will determine the stimulation of the four lower.
384. However, a type of divine intervention by the Solar Angels aided greatly in the stimulation of the fourth spirilla for certain units of animal man on the fourth globe of the fourth chain in the fourth scheme.
385. There are not only seven spirillae but three major spirillae and a lesser seven. The following is of interest in this regard:
7. The closer the approach to reality the simpler will be found the arrangement of the spirilla. These streams of force show a septenary arrangement in the lower three permanent atoms of man, while the higher three contain but three spirillae—the major three. (TCF 531-532)
386. We note that, in this context, the members of the atomic triangle are all called permanent atoms and the mental unit is not differentiated by name.
This, of course, is in connection with the physical atom in a man's body. This coloring manifests as the vibration setting the measure of the major three spirillae and the minor seven. (TCF 252-253)
4. The spirillae are literally ten in number, three major and seven minor. But from the unity point of view, they are the four and the major three, the remaining lesser three being counted as one with their major, inasmuch as they are direct reflections. (TCF 531)
387. From all this we may gather, that the spirillae five, six and seven are reflections of the major spirillae, three, two and one.
388. Yet, the activation of the fifth spirilla does not necessarily correlate with the activation of the third major spirilla, as we see immediately below.
This work is begun when the sixth spirilla (in the minor group of seven) is active.
389. We are speaking of the manner in which the stimulation of the three major spirillae is prepared. The sixth spirilla of the lower group of seven prepares the way for the stimulation of the higher three.
390. An analogy is suggested. The monadic plane is the doorway to a higher trinity. Are there really ten planes and not seven?
discussion of major and minor spirillae is very interesting but may present us
with some problems. Humanity exists because the fourth spirilla is active; the
392. There may be an analogy here between the stimulation of the nine petals of the egoic lotus and the stimulation of the final three or synthesizing petals.
393. Of course, one would think that the petals of the egoic lotus would be destroyed long before the sixth spirilla would be activated, yet the following indicates otherwise:
2. The fifth and sixth spirillae are more specifically under the egoic Ray, whatever that Ray may be. (TCF 531)
394. Yet, we must remember that the “egoic Ray” is really the Ray of the spiritual triad, and this ray may indeed be the concern of those approaching Mastership (even though the monadic ray is their preoccupying concern).
c. The consciousness of man is stimulated and developed when—at a certain stage—he can respond to the vibration of members of the Occult Hierarchy, and is thus nearing the portal into the fifth kingdom. This coincides with the vibratory activity of the fifth spirilla.
395. This is a natural and predictable correspondence.
396. In this case, we understand the members of the Occult Hierarchy approaching humanity just as a human being would approach a member of the animal kingdom.
397. As stated, entry into the fifth kingdom coincides with the stimulation of the fifth spirilla.
398. Similarly, Chohans will approach Adepts, and Chohans of the seventh initiation will approach Chohans of the sixth degree.
d. In like manner, the less evolved units of the race, who are scarcely more than animals, are brought to the necessary stage of vibration by the play upon their mental bodies of the combined vibrations of men, whose fourth spirilla is functioning adequately.
399. We are not only speaking of how human beings stimulate those who are still animals, but of how more advanced human beings stimulate those among humanity who are so little evolved that DK considers them “scarcely more than animals”.
400. Such a view of humanity and its types (widely separated in their development) may be factually correct from the occult perspective, but it is not considered “politically correct” according to present standards.
401. These will be people who individualized in Atlantis (the second of two types of individualization on Earth).
402. Those members of the human kingdom who have the fourth spirilla functioning will influence the activation of the fourth spirilla in those who are still close in their development to the animal kingdom.
In these last two cases we are dealing with the spirillae of the mental permanent atom.
403. When the fourth spirilla of the mental permanent atom is fully functioning the unit involved is fully a human being, i.e., the mental unit.
404. We cannot be speaking of the spirillae of the manasic permanent atom, per se, because like the other permanent atoms of the spiritual triad, it has only the three major spirillae, as we have just read in the reference from TCF 531-532)
405. When the fourth spirilla of the mental permanent atom is sufficiently stimulated, the unit involved can begin to orient himself consciously towards the third sub-plane of the higher mental plane and eventually to the manasic permanent atom itself. This would involve the stimulation of the third spirilla of the manasic permanent atom (which only has three spirillae). When compared to the mental unit, the third spirilla of the manasic permanent atom is like the fifth spirilla in relation to the fourth of the mental unit.
In the other two we are dealing with occult mysteries, bound up in the vivification of solar and not human permanent atoms.
406. The first two examples, points “a.” and “b.” relate to relations between Ray Lords (point “a.”) and between the Heavenly Man and those Who are actively engaged in the development of group consciousness (i.e., the members of the Spiritual Hierarchy).
407. When we speak of “solar” permanent atoms, are we speaking of the permanent atoms of the Solar Logos or of other solar Beings.
408. The Solar Logos, Planetary Logoi and Chain Lords have but one permanent atom on the cosmic physical plane. Do They have what could be considered a “solar” permanent atom?
I. One permanent atom . . . the physical.
1. A solar Logos.
2. The three major Rays, or Lords of Aspect.
3. The seven Heavenly Men.
4. The forty-nine Regents of the planetary chains. (TCF 533)
409. Further, need the solar permanent atoms be limited to the cosmic physical plane? Perhaps the developments of which we are speaking, especially in point “a.” can involve some of the higher permanent atoms of the Solar Logos.
410. The solar permanent atom of the Solar Logos on the cosmic physical plane would certainly be effective in the stimulation of Shamballa.
411. But as DK has told us, these are occult mysteries and, apparently, deep ones well beyond our ken.
e. The fourth Creative Hierarchy, viewed as a unit functioning on this planet (and leaving out of consideration its manifestation in other schemes) works in a magnetic manner, and in a stimulative capacity upon the animal kingdom, the force of its vibration pouring on to the astral bodies of the animals, and producing response.
412. Here we have the interplay of the numbers four, six and two.
413. We can see how the four (of the Fourth Creative Hierarchy) would interplay with the six or two represented by the astral nature.
414. The effect of the human Hierarchy upon the animal kingdom would be kamic rather than manasic. This effect would arise simply because the Fourth Creative Hierarchy is what it is, and not because of a specialized focus upon the animal kingdom.
415. This section, incidentally, confirms the idea of the presence of members of the “fourth Creative Hierarchy” in other schemes, and, as well, the presence of members of the animal kingdom in other schemes.
416. Humanity is magnetic because it is essentially buddhic.
This awakens to a more effective apprehension all the units of the animal kingdom.
417. We are speaking of all the animal kingdom and not only of the domestic animals.
418. The occult interdependence of the kingdoms of nature is something which needs close examination.
Hence it can be seen how close is the interplay, and the interdependence, and how closely united all these greater and lesser lives are with each other.
419. This is the realization with which DK would leave us when considering the interplay of the kingdoms and especially of the third and fourth kingdoms, which has been the subject of the foregoing pages.
Growth and development in one part of the [Page 465] body logoic produces a corresponding advance in the whole.
420. This is a general principle. It applies to intra-kingdom affairs (for instance, within the human kingdom) and also to all parts of the body logoic (inter-kingdom interplay_
421. When one part of that vast body rises in quality, all other parts rise. Rising in quality is not the same as being victorious in limited circumstances. A victory may result from a temporary degradation of quality.
No man, for instance, can make definite and specialised progress without his brother benefiting,—this benefiting taking the form of:
422. Here is the example which pertains to the human kingdom. Instinctively, we know it to be true.
The increase of the total consciousness of the group.
423. Our expansions of consciousness contribute to the expansions of consciousness of all fellow group members.
The stimulation of units in the group.
424. Elevation in vibratory frequency elevates the vibratory frequency of fellow units. The reverse is also the case.
The group magnetism producing increased healing or blending effects upon allied groups.
425. The group rendered more magnetic by the increasing magnetism of its members affects other groups in a magnetic manner. Let us think of the magnetic effect of the Spiritual Hierarchy upon other groups, including the human group. The established members of Hierarchy are all higher initiates or Master and are part of Hierarchy because of their lovingly wise magnetism—this regardless of their ray type.
In this thought lies, for the servant of the Master, incentive to effort;
426. Our incentive is that we help not only ourselves and those individuals closely allied to us, but other groups, other congeries of groups, and, in fact, the whole of which we may be aware—and perhaps the greater whole of which we will not be aware.
no man who strives for mastery, who struggles to attain, and who aims at expansion of consciousness but is having some effect—in ever widening spirals—upon all whom he contacts, devas, men, and animals.
427. We are responsible to the whole of Creation—for better or for worse.
428. Our impact is not only on our fellowmen (in terms of whom we most often think) but upon members of the deva and animal kingdoms—and, according to this theory, upon other lower and higher kingdoms.
That he knows it not, and that he may be totally unaware of the subtle stimulating emanation which proceeds from him may be true, but nevertheless the law works.
429. DK assures us that our influence extends beyond the range of our knowledge. This means that we are constantly supported by those we have never met and do not know, and, equally, reduced in capacity by others who we do not know and will never meet.
The third effect of the coming in of this [Seventh] ray is one that may at first repel—it will cause a great destruction in the animal kingdom.
430. DK has said that the animal kingdom would not react as responsively as the human kingdom because they could not respond to the Heavenly Man of the seventh ray. Yet, the effect of destruction will occur, we are told.
431. Some of the extinction of present animal species (often through the predations or ignorant behavior of humanity) may fit into this category.
During the next few hundred years many of the old animal forms will die out and become extinct.
432. We already see this in progress. Man is in the ascendancy and easily controls most members of the animal kingdom.
To supply the wants of man, through disease, and through causes latent in the animal kingdom itself, much destruction will be brought about.
433. Let us tabulate the three causes of destruction within the animal kingdom (under the incoming seventh ray):
a. Destruction as man preys upon the animal kingdom to supply his own wants
b. Destruction through disease
c. Destruction through causes latent within the animal kingdom itself
434. “New form” is a concept ever associated with the Seventh Ray Lord, and in order for new forms to emerge, old forms must be destroyed.
435. Those who understand astrology will see the close connection between the idea of “New Form”, the seventh ray, and the planet Uranus (with its seventh ray soul—so we hypothesize).
It must ever be borne in mind that a building force is likewise a destroying one, and new forms for the animal evolution are, at this time, one of the recognized needs.
436. As stated. Building up and tearing down must occur simultaneously.
437. It is impossible to successfully put new wine in old bottles.
438. Destruction may also occur within the human kingdom for the same reasons—new human forms are needed. This of course is a sensitive matter as human beings are all brothers and sisters in one great family; that some are occupying forms that, for the sake of the race, must be destroyed is for many a terrible thought.
439. This must mean the slaughter which occurs through such destructive processes as the meat-packing industry and in general, the butchery of animals to satiate an appetite for the taste of flesh.
The inner life or fire which animates the animal groups, and which is the life expression of an Entity, will, under this seventh influence, blaze up and burn out the old, and permit the escape of the life, to newer and better forms.
440. The life aspect of the Entity indwelling the third kingdom will be sufficiently stimulated by the incoming seventh ray to arise and destroy as by fire the old forms.
441. This is a transmutative process involving the liberation of a vital essence. Had we thought of the destructive aspect of transmutation? The seventh ray is the major ray of transmutation.
442. The Seventh Ray Lord is the “Divine Alchemical Worker”. Do we not see the work of alchemy in the “escape of the life to newer and better forms”?
443. The volatile essence escapes into freedom from its condition of confinement only to find a new and more expressive confinement in a more suitable form.