Fellowship of Cosmic Fire
Commentary Semester I Section X
5 August 05; S1S10; TCF pp. 97-103
TCF TEXT in BLACK
MDR Commentary in BLUE (numbered)
OTHER Commentary in VIOLET (lettered)
QUESTIONS in GREEN (MDR’s=”#A”)
CONJECTURE or CONFLICTS in ORANGE
HELP WANTED & GOOD IDEAS in PINK
Various Highlighting used for contextual emphasis or hints
1. [the previous section] started by a few more remarks about the importance of the etheric body. It needs to enter our conscious way of life. Moreover, once it is recognised by modern science, medicine will change.
2. He then turns to consideration of the pranic flow. From the sun this passes through the planets and the kingdoms. Prana is received at each level and much of it is passed on to the next level. This means that mankind receives prana direct from the sun and via the Earth (which is solar prana coloured by the planet).
3. The actual transmission of prana is carried out by the deva evolution, different deva ranks dealing with the prana at the appropriate level for each earthly kingdom. The work of the devas and therefore prana is concerned with fire – which provides the unifying concept indicating the spiritual content of matter (in this instance, prana).
4. The [previous section included Chart II, p. 94], which deals with the Outpourings. These bring manifestation about. The course of these Outpourings show how the mental plane is the focal point of human development.
III. THE FUNCTION OF THE ETHERIC BODY
We will now continue with the discussion of the etheric body, and take up the consideration of its function and its relation to the physical body.
The two may wisely be considered together, for the inter-relation is so close that it is not possible to discuss them separately.
5. Long ago in Lemuria the integration between the two was made for the majority of mankind, and they have been functioning largely as a unit since.
Primarily the functions of the etheric body are three in number:
1. It is the receiver of prana.
2. It is the assimilator of prana.
3. It is the transmitter of prana.
6. In summary, three words are to be remembered:
d. The three aspects are suggested by these three processes:
i. Receiver, ray three
ii. Assimilator, ray two
iii. Transmitter, ray one
1. The receiver of prana.
The etheric body may therefore be described as negative or receptive in respect to the rays of the sun, and as [Page 98] positive and expulsive in respect to the dense physical body.
7. Lesser beings are usually negative to greater beings. The dense physical body is negative to the etheric body which is positive and expulsive with respect to it.
8. A vital etheric body can expel that which is not needed in the dense physical body.
The second function—that of assimilation—is strictly balanced or internal. As stated earlier, the pranic emanations of the sun are absorbed by the etheric body, via certain centres which are found principally in the upper part of the body, from whence they are directed downwards to the centre which is called the etheric spleen, as it is the counterpart in etheric matter of that organ.
9. A little review. Note the factor of balance suggesting Libra. Assimilation, per se, is associated with Virgo. In any case, the middle part of the zodiac is involved in the process of assimilation.
10. That which is useable is assimilated.
The main centre for the reception of prana at present is a centre between the shoulder blades.
11. The fact that center between the shoulder blades is the “main center” has implications for how we dress, for this center must be exposed to the rays of the Sun.
12. While the center between the shoulder blades may be the main center for the reception of prana, the main center for the assimilation of prana is the spleen.
“The main organ of assimilation is the spleen—the etheric centre and the dense physical organ.” (TCF 99)
Another has been allowed to become partially dormant in man through the abuses of so-called civilisation, and is situated slightly above the solar plexus.
13. These abuses may include dietary habits and a sedentary life style.
14. We see how the human being can adversely affect even his subtle physical nature through wrong habit.
15. What would this secondary centre or gland of reception be?
In the coming rootrace, and increasingly in this, the necessity for the exposure of these two centres to the rays of the sun, will be appreciated, with a corresponding improvement in physical vitality and adaptability.
16. If DK is speaking of the sixth root race, the wait seems long. If of the sixth subrace, a beginning can be made.
17. The number six can be considered as solar—Kabbalistically.
18. Have we in the western society, due to the increasing and common exposure to the sun over the last century, begun this type of improvement? How can we resolve this sun seeking with sun cancer? Simple moderation?
These three centres,
1. Between the shoulder blades,
2. Above the diaphragm,
3. And the spleen
make, if one could but see it, a radiant etheric triangle, which triangle is the originating impulse for the later pranic circulation throughout the entire system.
19. Again, these three are called the “pranic triangle”.
20. We note that pranic circulation begins with this “radiant etheric triangle”, the “pranic triangle”, before reaching the entire system. Probably, each type of atom (solar, planetary, human and the atom of matter) has a correspondence to this pranic triangle.
21. As the center between the shoulder blades is near the lungs, the relationship between breathing and vitality can be graphically seen.
The etheric body is really a net-work of fine channels, which are the component parts of one interlacing fine cord,—one portion of this cord being the magnetic link which unites the physical and the astral bodies and which is snapped or broken after the withdrawal of the etheric body from the dense physical body at the time of death. The silver cord is loosed, as the Bible expresses it44 [44: The Bible. Ecc: XII, 6.] and this is the basis of the legend of the fateful sister who cuts the thread of life with the dreaded shears.
22. It is significant that for all its ramifying diversity, the etheric body is but “one interlacing fine cord”. It is, therefore, a ‘diversifying unity’. This is another example of ‘the many in the one’.
23. The cord has portions. DK mentions one important portion—the “silver cord” or “silver thread” which is snapped or broken at death, when the etheric body withdraws from the dense physical.
24. The “fateful sister” is related to Pluto who “cuts the thread”—not only this thread but others of a higher nature (binding together soul and personality).
25. The “silver cord” is a “magnetic link”. One way to think of such subtle “threads” is as magnetic currents.
26. Let’s consider Aquarius, as Hierarchical ruler of the Cosmic Physical-Etheric plane, its keynote of ‘circulation’ and the electrical nature of interlacing fine cords of the etheric body.
The etheric web is composed of the intricate weaving of this vitalised cord, and apart from the seven centres [Page 99] within the web (which correspond to the sacred centres, and of which the spleen is frequently counted as one) it has the two above mentioned, which make—with the spleen—a triangle of activity.
27. We note the use of the term “intricate weaving”. Immediately, this suggests the Third Ray Lord Who is knows at the “Weaver”. (cf. EP II Law of Repulse, The Direction of Ray III, p. 167)
28. The weavings of the vitalized cord connect the various centers or chakras in the etheric body. The seven centers (and the other chakras) are considered to be “within the web”.
29. There are usually considered to be seven major centers in the etheric body. The spleen is the eighth, or the seventh if the sacral center is not counted, as is sometimes the case.
30. If all centers are counted, we have a major seven, plus three—the spleen, the center above the diaphragm and the center between the shoulder blades. This makes ten—seven major and three lesser. There are also centers which are higher than the seven major centers—such as the seven head centers (by some estimates, within the head) and the two many-petalled lotuses.
The etheric web of the solar system is of an analogous nature, and likewise has its three receptive centres for cosmic prana. The mysterious band in the heavens, which we call the Milky Way, (S. D. II.250) is closely connected with cosmic prana, or that cosmic vitality or nourishment which vitalises the solar etheric system.
31. What may be the centers within the solar system which received cosmic prana? If we follow analogy, they may well be planets, though minor ones.
32. The Earth is connected to the etheric body and the spleen:
1. Two of the non-sacred planets (the Earth itself and the Moon) are connected with two centres which in the highly evolved man are not of dominating importance:
a. The spleen receiving pranic emanations from the planet on which we live and concerned with the etheric and physical bodies and their physical relation.
b. A centre in the chest related to the thymus gland. This centre becomes inactive in the advanced man but has a connection with the vagus nerve, prior to the awakening of the heart centre. (EA 78)
33. May the fertile Earth (remembering what a fertile demonstration of life is connected with the point near the Earth’s pole where solar prana is said to be received) be a member of the solar systemic pranic triangle?
34. One of the functions of the Earth, of course, is in relation to the solar system “base of the spine”, but this function is likely to be more accentuated in the solar system following this one when the monadic ray of the Earth becomes more expressive.
35. Remembering the following statement from TCF 86: “The organ of the spleen has an interesting correspondence to the umbilical cord which attaches an infant to the mother for purposes of nourishment, and which is separated at birth”, we can view the Milky Way as a comic umbilical cord and see it as having a function related to the cosmic spleen.
36. Within the periphery of the Seven Solar Systems of which Ours is One, (SSSOWOIO), there is likely to be a solar system which plays the role of splenic center (and others for the other two centers in the solar pranic triangle). The same can be said of the system of the One About Whom Naught May Be Said (OAWNMBS). In this case a minor (not major) constellation would play the role of splenic center, and the same of the other two minor cosmic centers (between the shoulder blades and above the diaphragm).
37. Interestingly, the Milky Way has a close connection to Taurus and to “Vach”, the Divine Cow, and to the “Word” (related to the throat which Taurus rules). Microcosmically, Taurus in the chart is known as a reservoir of prana and is frequently found in the charts of healers with abundant vitality to share.
38. [To review … from p 97, we have] consideration of the function of the etheric body. Its closeness to the dense physical body is so such that the two bodies are considered together.
39. The etheric receives prana, assimilates it and transmits it. Hence the etheric is negative to the sun but positive to the human dense physical body.
40. The assimilated prana passes through the etheric and is transmitted via the etheric spleen. This is passed on to the dense physical spleen.
41. However, “the main centre for the reception of prana at present is a centre between the shoulder blades”.
42. Another centre for the absorption of prana, situated slightly above the diaphragm, though somewhat dormant at present will become increasingly important.
43. The nature of the etheric is described as a network of fine channels, having a magnetic link to the astral body.
44. The three centres mentioned (above diaphragm, between shoulder blades and spleen,) form “as triangle of activity”. This is represented at the solar system level by the Milky Way.
2. The assimilator of prana.
The process of assimilation is carried on in this triangle, and the prana which enters into either centre, circulates three times around the triangle before being transmitted to all parts of the etheric vehicle and from thence to the dense physical body.
45. When dealing with triangles, we often find the number nine associated, for each part of a triangle is threefold.
46. The pranic triangle is thus used for both reception and assimilation.
47. The widest distribution is therefore preceded by a definite focalized process.
The main organ of assimilation is the spleen—the etheric centre and the dense physical organ. The vital essence from the sun is passed into the etheric spleen, and is there subjected to a process of intensification or devitalisation, according to the condition, healthy or not, of that organ. If the man is in a healthy state the emanation received will be augmented by his own individual vibration, and its rate of vibration will be keyed up before it is passed on into the physical spleen; or it will be slowed down and lowered if the man is in a poor condition of health.
48. We remember, however, that the main organ for the “reception” of prana is the center between the shoulder blades.
49. The question of how “vital essence from the sun” reaches the physical spleen is here addressed. It is in the etheric spleen that the vital essence from the Sun is either intensified or devitalized. The health of the spleen is the determining factor.
50. A healthy splenic center intensifies the vibration of the received vital solar essence. An unhealthy splenic center subjects the vital essence to a process of devitalization.
51. It may be presumed that an unhealthy etheric body (and splenic center) may be revitalized by right exposure to pranic streams.
52. Entering the etheric via the two centres, the prana then circulates three times around the triangle of centres and is transmitted throughout the etheric.
53. Assimilation is carried out via the etheric and physical spleen centres. The quality of the assimilation depends on the health of the etheric spleen. If the etheric body is healthy, the vibration of the prana will be “keyed up” before being passed on to the physical spleen. If the etheric is unhealthy, the rate of vibration will be slowed down when passed on.
These three centres are in the form that all centres take, of saucer-like depressions, resembling somewhat the appearance of small whirlpools, and which draw within their sphere of influence the currents that come their way.
54. Descriptions of these three centers (and, to a degree, of all centers) are here given.
55. Vorticular movement is found in relation to the chakras. They are like “small whirlpools” and like whirlpools have a drawing action upon energy currents in their general vicinity.
56. Another term which is most graphic is “whirling vortices”.
The centres should be pictured as whirling vortices with a closely woven threefold channel passing from each centre to the other, and forming an almost separate circulatory system.
57. We remember (in connection with Sun and other atoms) the triple channel which connects the inner latent fire with the surface of the sphere in which it is contained:
“There exists in the Sun, in the planet, in man, and in the atom, a central point of heat, or (if I might use so limiting and inappropriate a term) a central cavern of fire, or nucleus of heat, and this central nucleus reaches the bounds of its sphere of influence, its ring-pass-not by means of a threefold channel. (TCF 58)
58. Again we see a threefold channel, this time connecting the chakras within the etheric body. The chakras specifically mentioned are the ones in the “pranic triangle”, but a diagram of the chakra system by C.W. Leadbeater in his monograph, The Chakras, shows a threefold channel connecting all chakras to each other.
59. There a number of circulatory systems in man; the threefold channels connecting the various chakras comprise one of them. The interplay between the chakras must depend very much upon these threefold channels.
This finds its point of departure for [Page 100] the entire system at the further side of the spleen to that at which the prana entered.
60. We are speaking of the “point of departure” for the triple channels connecting the chakras.
61. Prana enter on one side of the spleen and the threefold channel departs from the other side.
The vital fluid circulates through and between these three centres three times, before it finally passes out from them to the periphery of its little system.
62. The circulatory dynamics are clearly given: three circulations between the three centers of the pranic triangle and then a passing from them to the periphery (of whatever system).
63. All three centres are saucer-like depressions, like small whirlpools. They are whirling vortices “with a closely woven threefold channel passing from each centre to the other, and forming an almost separate circulatory system”.
This final circulation carries the prana, via the fine interlacing channels, to every part of the body, which becomes entirely impregnated by these emanations, if it might be so expressed.
64. The “final circulation” is the one that carries the prana from the triangle to the periphery and “to every part of the body”.
65. These vital pranic emanations entirely impregnate the body (with vitality).
These emanations find their way finally out of the etheric system by means of surface radiation. The pranic essence escapes from the circumference of its temporary ring-pass-not as emanative human prana, which is the same prana as earlier received, plus the peculiar quality that any single individual may convey to it during its transitory circulation. The essence escapes, plus individual quality.
66. The human body does not retain excess prana. That which is not absorbed and assimilated escapes through surface radiation called “emanative human prana”
67. To the original essence is added a peculiar individual quality. Thus all beings tincture that which they receive as prana with their own quality.
68. All this reveals that human pranic emanation is tinctured by distinctive quality. It does not leave through surface radiation in the same state it entered the human system. The same is true for the other atoms under consideration.
Here again can be seen the correspondence to the escape of all essences from within any ring-pass-not when the cycle has been completed.
69. The “escape of all essences” has an alchemical ring to it. The one principle in action is that of constant circulation.
70. Death, also, is an “escape of essence”—“once the cycle has been completed”.
71. All these dynamics occur under the direction of the Law of Periodicity related to the Law of Attraction and Repulsion.
This matter of the etheric body is of a very practical interest, and when its importance is better realised, men will attend to the distribution of prana within the body with closer attention, and will see that the vitalisation of the body, via the three centres, proceeds unhindered.
72. The three centers of the pranic triangle will have to receive definite careful and intelligent attention if man is to have a fully vital, healthy physical expression.
73. From what is here said, one may assume that, presently, the circulation within the pranic triangle is hindered for many.
74. The prana (which is in excess of that which is needed) finally leaves the etheric body via surface radiation.
75. This radiation is prana as received but which has also been coloured by the person concerned.
76. The issue of human health is really summed up in the understanding of this circulation of prana within the etheric body.
The subject has necessarily to be handled in a superficial manner, and only outlines and scattered hints can be given. Nevertheless, it will be found that if this teaching is studied with care, it will convey a knowledge of truths whose calibre and content will prove invaluable and of a kind hitherto not given out.
77. DK points to the value of what He has discussed, sketchy though it may seem to be. Apparently much of great value is compressed into a small space, and should lead to practical results.
The place of the etheric sheath as a separator or ring-pass-not, and its functions as a receiver and distributor of prana, are dealt with here in a larger sense than heretofore, and the subject may later be enlarged.
78. We note several functions of the etheric body discussed in the last several pages:
a. A separator of the astral body from the dense physical body
b. A receiver of prana
c. An assimilator of prana (through the splenic center)
d. A distributor of prana (through the find network of nadis and eventually through surface radiation).
Two fundamental truths stand out from the aggregate of facts so slightly dealt with here: [Page 101]
First. The fourth etheric subplane of the physical plane is the immediate concern of
a. Man, the Microcosm,
b. The Heavenly Man, the planetary Logos,
c. The Grand Man of the Heavens, the solar Logos.
79. We find a very interesting parallel between the three entities considered. All of them have their struggles (for the number four is the number of struggle).
80. We have been told that the Planetary Logos is struggling on the fourth subplane of the cosmic astral plane, attempting (like the Logos of Venus) to polarize on the fifth. By analogy, this may also be true of man and of the Solar Logos. The reflection of this astral struggle may be their focus upon the fourth etheric subplane. In any case, the number four (with all that that number implies) is important for all of them.
81. Two fundamental truths are then outlined. The fourth etheric subplane of the physical plane is the immediate concern of
1. a. “Man the Microcosm,
b) “The Heavenly Man, the planetary logos,
c) “the Grand Man of the Heavens, the solar logos”.
2. “In this fourth chain and fourth round, the fourth ether is beginning to be studied, and – viewed as a separating web – it permits occasional exit to those of suitable vibration.”
82. We might try to interpret the above as follows: the fourth etheric subplane is the subplane which actually transmit the prana with which we have been dealing. Therefore, both human beings and the logoi regard this fourth etheric as crucial since it is this which makes human life possible. Moreover, since human beings are part of a great chain of being, the lower kingdoms also depend on this fourth etheric subplane.
83. However, His phrase “immediate concern” suggests something else: the logoic link afforded by prana means that the spiritual potential of human beings is available to us. Or one could say, that via the fourth etheric subplane, human beings are gods in the making. Thus we have access to the fourth cosmic ether, the buddhic plane!
Second. In this fourth chain and fourth round, the fourth ether is beginning to be studied, and—viewed as a separating web—it permits occasional exit to those of suitable vibration.
84. This study is not confined to the esotericists of the world. The advanced physicists of our day are penetrating the phenomena of this ether.
85. What is “suitable vibration”? It must represent a certain degree of soul culture.
86. His second point is picking up on the correspondences idea. Because of the correspondences with 4, the middle point of 7, this lowest etheric subplane is coming under enormous influence. This enables disciples/initiates of suitable vibration “occasional exit”. This is presumably a reference to the ability to transmit the body in full waking consciousness elsewhere. We can return to this idea when we deal with the shaktis later on (p 395).
3. The Transmitter of Prana.
We have touched but little on the subject of the fire, the purpose of the etheric body being to convey it and distribute it to all parts of its system.
87. This is another epitomized function of the etheric body which should be remembered: the distribution of “fire” to all parts of the system.
We have dwelt on facts which might stimulate interest and emphasise the utility of this pranic vehicle. Certain facts need emphasis and consideration as we study this static ring and its circulating fires. Let me briefly recapitulate for the sake of clarity:
88. A statement of interest is made: the etheric body is called a “static ring” possessing “circulating fires”. Does this mean that, like the dense physical body, the etheric body does not rotate? An important and impending study concerns the rotation of the vehicles of man upon their axis (just as planets, suns and atoms rotate).
89. He turns next to a section headed The Transmitter of Prana. At this stage He carries out a short recapitulation (p 101).
The System receives prana from cosmic sources via three centres, and redistributes it to all parts of its extended influence, or to the bounds of the solar etheric web.
90. It can be presumed that this “solar etheric web” (like the etheric web of man in relation to his dense physical body) extends beyond the confines of the densely material solar system.
91. The three receptive centers are the analogy to man’s pranic triangle.
This cosmic prana becomes colored by solar quality and reaches the furthest confines of the system. Its mission might be described as the vitalisation of the vehicle which is the physical material expression of the solar Logos.
92. The material expression of the Solar Logos is vitalized by cosmic prana colored by solar quality.
The Planet receives prana from the solar centre, and redistributes it via the three receiving centres to all parts of its sphere of influence. This solar prana becomes colored by the planetary quality and is absorbed by all evolutions found within the planetary ring-pass-not. Its mission might be described as the vitalisation of the vehicle which is the physical material expression of one or other of the seven Heavenly Men.
93. The analogy holds good for a Planetary Logos.
94. We note the coloring of the received prana by the quality of the recipient.
95. Similarly, the dense physical planet is vitalized by planetary prana.
96. VSK: Using the term ‘coloured’ refers often to the lowest and denses manifestation, hence the etheric-physical. The ‘globe of purple dark’, e.g., is the lowest of the dense plane; the lavendars and violets and purples being the 7th colour. (It is also a colour of the buddhic plane, as it is the solar logos’ lowest, plane of manifestation, see TCF p. 331).
97. Gold and violet refer archetypally to the Leo and Aquarius Creative Hierarchies, the sun and the moon, involving Uranus in both, and by analogy the crown and base: Highest and Lowest meet.
98. in terms of the midway point, the Scorpio Hierarchy and buddhic plane, we see the colours yellow and violet involved (with blue – all three colours are of the buddhic plane; yellow exoterically, for man; blue esoterically for the planetary logos, and violet ‘hierarchically’ or ‘true’, for the Solar Logos. See p. 331 for the staggered levels.
99. Prana is distributed throughout the solar system via the solar etheric web. This is the means whereby the solar logos vitalises the physical system.
100. The planet receives this prana and redistributes it via its three receiving centres. By this means, the seven heavenly men vitalise their physical worlds. The human being, the microcosm, receives prana from both the sun and the planet, both pranas being coloured by their source, each planet being of one ray type.
101. The human being repeats this process, receiving prana and passing it on, coloured and by his own influence. Thus the process is one of interdependence, all parts receiving prana, then colouring, qualifying and transmitting it. This is a gradual perfecting process.
102. The aim is the blending of the two fires of matter: the latent and the active (or prana) and their merging with the fires of mind and spirit to produce one general flame.
103. Eventually, the fires of mind and spirit burn up matter, liberating the life within. When the pranic vehicle is working perfectly across the human, planetary and solar levels the active fire (prana) can be united with the latent fire of matter. Hence the need for refined human vehicles, since this enables them to be more satisfactory pranic receivers. This would enable the latent fire of kundalini to be released.
104. Coarse bodies are dangerous. An example was the Lemurian race which were consumed by volcanic action in order to remove a too gross physical form. Planetary kundalini and solar emanation combined in the work of destruction to dispose of the continents.
105. The same process may be repeated but since this would affect matter of the second ether, the results should be less severe because the vehicles will be more refined. Such destructions by fire are part of the initiatory process affecting our heavenly man. The destruction frees him to move forward more easily.
The Microcosm receives prana from the sun after it has permeated the planetary etheric vehicle, so that it is solar prana, plus planetary quality. Each planet is the embodiment of some one ray aspect, and its quality is marked predominantly on all its evolution.
106. We will need to enter into a point of clarification. Does man, the microcosm, receive solar prana only after it has permeated the planetary etheric vehicle (and is thus colored by planetary quality), or do solar pranic devas distribute solar vitality directly to the etheric body of man?
107. Alternately, how is this resolved with the following? TCF p. 92-93:
A very pertinent question might here be asked, and though we may not fully explain the mystery, a few suggestive [Page 93] hints may be possible. We might ask: What causes the apparent deadness of the Moon? Is there deva life upon it? Does solar prana have no effect there? What constitutes the difference between the apparently dead Moon, and a live planet, such as the Earth?40 … Here we touch upon a hidden mystery, of which the solution lies revealed for those who seek, in the fact that human beings and certain groups of devas are no longer found upon the Moon. Man has not ceased to exist upon the Moon because it is dead and cannot therefore support his life, but the Moon is dead because man and these deva groups have been removed from off its surface and from its sphere of influence.41 Man and the devas act on every planet as intermediaries, or as transmitting agencies.
108. The following section shows us the need for caution in this regard:
This is that vital and magnetic fluid which radiates from the sun, and which is transmitted to man's etheric body through the agency of certain deva entities of a very high order, and of a golden hue. It is passed through their bodies and emitted as powerful radiations, which are applied direct through certain plexi in the uppermost part of the etheric body, the head and shoulders, and passed down to the etheric correspondence of the physical organ, the spleen, and from thence forcibly transmitted into the spleen itself. (TCF 90)
109. From this paragraph, it would seem that the pranic solar devas pass solar vitality directly to the etheric body of man. But since that etheric body is part of the planetary etheric body, it may stand to reason that solar prana must first permeate the planetary etheric vehicle before reaching man.
110. These pranic solar devas are, apparently, within the etheric body of the Earth, and so, they too, may be receiving solar prana not directly from the Sun, but in a mediated manner.
Prana, therefore, which is active radiatory heat, varies in vibration and quality according to the receiving Entity. Man passes the prana through his etheric vehicle, colors it with his own peculiar quality, and so transmits it to the lesser lives that make up his little system.
111. The process continues into man, the microcosm.
112. A succinct definition of prana is given: “active radiatory heat”.
113. Transmitted prana is always qualified by the by the quality of the transmitter.
114. In the section above, “vibration” seems to be differentiated from “quality”, though both are undoubtedly related.
Thus, the great interaction goes on, and all parts blend, merge and are interdependent; and all parts receive, color, qualify and transmit.
115. A succinct sequence is given with respect to the flow of prana:
116. This sequence holds for all types of atoms we are studying.
An endless circulation goes on that has neither a conceivable beginning nor possible end from the point of view of finite man, for its source and end are hid in the unknown cosmic fount.
117. This is a profound statement. It is not that there is no beginning or end; it is simply that such are inconceivable to the finite consciousness of man.
118. The phrase “unknown cosmic fount” is the cosmic origin of all universal contents. We might call that “fount” the Universal Logos. The ultimate ORIGIN (and END) is the ABSOLUTE.
Were conditions everywhere perfected this circulation would proceed unimpeded and might result in a condition of almost endless duration, but limitation and termination result as the effects of imperfection giving place to a gradual perfection.
119. The Tibetan is linking perfected conditions (and consequence unimpeded circulation) to immortality. Imperfection and impediment are the causes of mortality. There is, however, a gradual approach to perfection.
Every cycle originates from another cycle of a relative completeness, and will give place ever to a higher spiral; thus eventuate periods of apparent relative perfection leading to those which are still greater.
120. We are being told that ‘in universe’ there is no completion and perfection. That which we imagine to be perfect or complete is only relatively so and will give way to that which is more perfect, more complete.
121. It is spiral-cyclic motion which preserves the Law of Analogy, for, as a result of such motion, there is similitude on all levels of the spiral ladder of ascent.
The aim for this greater cycle is the blending, as we know, of the two fires of matter, latent and active, and their merging with the fires of mind and spirit till they are lost from sight in the general flame; the fires of mind and spirit burn up matter and thereby bring about liberation from the confining vehicles. The altar of earth is the birthplace of spirit, its liberator from the mother (matter), and its entrance into higher realms.
122. We are speaking of greater and lesser cycles. There is a cycle (a current cycle) which has for its objective the development of the fires of matter and their eventual harmonious blending, followed by the merging of the fires of matter with the fires of mind and spirit.
123. What is the “cycle” of which we are speaking? May it be the cycle known as the second solar system? The objective for the first solar system certainly did not involve the blending of the fires of matter with the fires of higher mind, and a merging with spirit was far from being part of the picture.
124. In considering the relationship between the fires of mind and spirit to the fires of matter, the following is significant: “the fires of mind and spirit burn up matter”. Another way of saying this is that the fires of mind and spirit release the higher, inner life/consciousness from confinement within the lower frequencies of matter. The magnetic integrity of the lower forms is shattered (following the achievement of the relative perfection of those forms).
125. DK refers to the “altar of earth”. Upon this altar is to be found fire. Upon that altar, lower form is offered to the consuming fires of mind and spirit. Without a voluntary “offering up” (i.e., sacrifice) there will be no liberation from the fires of matter.
Hence, when the pranic vehicle is working perfectly in all three groups, human, planetary and solar, the union with latent fire will be accomplished.
126. Although in man, the etheric and dense physical bodies were coordinated long ago (in Lemuria, we are told), there is not yet a fulfilled union of active, radiatory fire (prana) with latent fire. This is, apparently, still an objective in this second solar system (one in which the etheric body as reflector of the soul aspect is emphasized).
127. We are considering a very large picture. We are not considering what consummation may mean for the human unit. We are seeking to understand the meaning of macrocosmic consummation.
Here lies [Page 103] the reason for the emphasis laid on the necessity for building pure, refined physical vehicles. The more refined and rarefied the form, the better a receiver of prana will it be, and the less will be the resistance found to the uprising of kundalini at the appointed time. Coarse matter and crude immature physical bodies are a menace to the occultist, and no true seer will be found with a body of a gross quality. The dangers of disruption are too great, and the menace of disintegration by fire too awful.
128. DK now speaks of the importance of building dense physical vehicles of quality and refinement. We have learned that the health of the etheric body determines the extent to which prana can be absorbed. We now focus on the physical body and its ability to receive and absorb prana. The “more refined and rarefied” the physical form, the better receiver and assimilator of prana it will be. Further, a refined and rarefied physical form will offer less resistance to the rising of kundalini, when the time for that rising comes.
129. This means that the physical body is important in the process of fiery transformation. We are told that disruption and disintegration are the fate of occultists who fail to refine the physical vehicle.
130. Another important hint is given: “no true seer will be found with a body of a gross quality”. What is suggested is that the seeing of such a seer will be false, glamorous, full of illusion. General grossness and bodily impurities will prevent true reception.
131. HPB example notwithstanding?
132. It is also hinted that the proper rising of the kundalini will lead to seership.
133. There is an equivalence between the true occultist and the true seer.
Once in the history of the race (in Lemurian days) this was seen in the destruction of the race and the continents by means of fire.45 The Guides of the race at that time availed Themselves of just this very thing to bring about the finish of an inadequate form. The latent fire of matter (as seen in volcanic display, for instance) and the radiatory fire of the system were combined. Planetary kundalini and solar emanation rushed into conjunction, and the work of destruction was accomplished.
FOOTNOTE 45: In the Secret Doctrine, Vol. I, p. 473, footnote, the destruction of Lemuria by fire is hinted at, and in the Secret Doctrine, II, 149, footnote, the words occur, "Lemuria was not submerged but was destroyed by volcanic action, and afterward sank."
134. The Tibetan speaks of the destruction of Lemuria by fire.
135. We note that the Guides of the race do not permit the perpetuation of inadequate forms. Such correction through destruction is the responsibility of the Manu and His Department.
136. If we are seeking to understand a graphic example of the “latent fire of matter” we have but to look to volcanic action.
137. In this context, “planetary kundalini” is equated to the “latent fire of matter”.
138. We note, however, that it took two fires to bring about the necessary destruction—both planetary kundalini and solar emanation.
139. The civilization on Lemuria was, we are told, very materially oriented. It seems justifiable, then, that this civilization and probably many lands on which it occurred, should be destroyed by the fires of matter.
The same thing may again be seen, only in matter of the second ether, and the effects therefore will be less severe owing to the rarity of this ether and the comparatively greater refinement of the vehicles.
140. DK turns prophetic, but does not give much detail regarding the type of destruction which may occur or when it may be expected.
141. The causal body is found for advanced man, disciples and initiates upon the second subplane of the systemic mental plane. A great destruction occurs on this second subplane (at the time of the fourth initiation), and there may be an analogy between this destruction and the destruction in matter of the second ether here hinted.
142. Will such a destruction occur in this round or in a future round (for instance, at the “Judgment Day”)?
143. What would be the resonances to the second ether? Perhaps the 6th root race perhaps? (The 2nd counting reversely.)
We might here note a fact of interest, though of a mystery insoluble as yet to most of us, and that is, that these destructions by fire are part of the tests by fire of an initiation of that one of the Heavenly Men Whose karma is bound up with our earth.
144. This is a most interesting hint, and, as the Tibetan says, “insoluble as yet to most of us”.
145. There are a number of Heavenly Men whose karma may be considered bound up with our Earth. Really, all the Heavenly Men would seem to be karmically bound to each other. But the Logos most related to the Logos of Earth, is the Logos of Venus, and perhaps it is the Venusian Heavenly Man Who is referenced here.
146. The Lemurian civilization had much to do with Venus and fifth ray (the ray largely responsible for the individualization process, which occurred in middle period of the Lemurian rootrace -- 3RR 3rd subrace to 5th subrace?)
147. The Aryan rootrace is the fifth and its manner of eventual destruction is not fully given, though the manner of its attempted destruction is discussed.
Fire was an outstanding aspect [Page 587] of the war. Fire is produced by physical means and the aid of the mineral kingdom and this was the great menacing and chosen means of destruction in this war. This is a fulfilment of the ancient prophecy that the attempt to destroy the Aryan race will be by means of fire, just as ancient Atlantis was destroyed by water. But, fiery goodwill and the conscious focussed use of the Shamballa force can counter fire by fire and this must be done. (EA 586-587)
148. Venus has a close connection to the Aryan rootrace, because it is the fifth rootrace.
149. There are ways in which Venus will also be related to the sixth rootrace, because there is much of the numbers two and six in the constitution of Venus. It will be a rootrace in which the monad will come into greater prominence. The monad, we realize, is located on the second subplane of the cosmic physical plane, and this subplane has a natural relation to the second ether mentioned by DK as the location of a later process of destruction.
150. Interestingly, modern investigation of Venus has revealed its physical nature as hot, volcanic and fiery.
Each destruction of a portion of the web results in a greater facility of exit, and is in reality (when seen from the higher planes) a step forward and an expansion. A repetition of this takes place likewise in the system at the stated cycles.
151. Venus and Sirius figure prominently in the initiatory process of man. Venus is also related to the initiatory process of our Planetary Logos and Sirius to the initiatory process of our Solar Logos.
152. Initiation connotes liberation through the agency of fire. It may be that the fiery influences of Venus and Sirius are active in destroying (however gradually) the etheric web so that man may gain a greater facility of exit.
153. We note that the web is not destroyed all at once. Every initiation promotes greater facility of exit. By the time the fourth initiation is reached, all matter in the personality vehicles is atomic matter, and there exists the possibility of escape onto the buddhic plane (a higher correspondence to the astral plane).